Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Wedding Countdown!

She probably didn't do anything that would make most of us here think twice. But what matters is what she thinks, and she's repeated the "mowing the grass in a bikini that tempted her male neighbor" story several times. I highly suspect she got involved with a church that demands open confessions to the congregation. It's an effective technique to keep people under control (everybody knows your secrets) and an equally powerful way to make members feel constant shame because they focus on their "sins" to the point these become their entire life narrative. God may forgive you, maybe, but your fellow church members will never let it go.

This. When you are made to feel that you are the scum of the earth, and that if you had just done the tiniest bit more catastrophe like becoming gay (Michelle's sister) or a baby before marriage (JB's sister) you might feel grateful that the rules found you just in time!

And I think we will see Josh and Anna with baby number 4 soon, maybe very soon, but I think it may be awhile after that. The move to DC changed them a LOT, perhaps not quickly enough to stop baby 4, but enough that they aren't chomping at the bit about it. They can see a world without simply having baby after baby. They couldn't, not really, before.

• Love 4

I just want to know what the heck Michelle did in her childhood/teen years that she thinks is so horrible and sinful? Enough so that she would switch to a way of life and cult that makes it where you don't have to have any self-control because their rules are so strict.

Whatever it was, I bet anything it was Jim Bob that pointed it out to her.  And continues to mention it whenever it suits his purpose. It may turn out that the worst mistake she ever made in her life was to apply for a job in Grandma Duggar's yogurt shop.

• Love 6

This episode ran tonight... I actually caught the opening credits, I normally avoid them because I can't afford to lose my tv because I want to throw things at it everytime she says "and I delivered every one of them"... But I swear she said "and our youngest star... Josie" I was in a room that does not have rewind on live tv so I don't know if I misheard or if they really said that... Does anyone else know?

Edited by leighroda
  • Love 1

Despite having chaperones with them wherever they go, I wonder with the reality of it, do Michelle and JB really think the chaperones are actually watching them like a hawk? When the cameras are off, are the siblings really paying attention to what is being said between the couple? That being said, I'm sure there must be times the couples get to talk unheard off camera and away from their parent's eyes. It seems like Jill and Derick are forming their own thoughts about how they want to be as a family. When the two were talking about having kids, I got the impression Jill wasn't thrilled about having kid after kid after kid like her mom. She sounded like she was beginning to question if that was all there was to being married.

I feel like a chaperone does stop any physical intimacy. I'm not suggesting that it would be the end of the world if they held hands -- I could see an older chaperone will Jinger or Jana noticing but just letting it go as they don't want to embarrass the couple, nor do they want to really speak to JB and Michelle any more than actually necessary. But I do think a chaperone stops the couple from making out -- if for no other reason than Derick is probably embarrassed to kiss his girlfriend with her sibling staring at them.

I think the chaperones are wholly ineffective at stopping conversation. Again I think an older chaperone like Jana or Jinger would just try not to listen, and even if they heard things about birth control etc. -- I could see them maybe talking to Jill alone about how God/JB/Michelle think that's wrong but not involving their parents. In any event, Jill and Derick always seem to have young chaperones. I think a kid James age is easily distracted and bored by adult conversation. I don't even see him listening in or even getting it if you speak in adult terms and don't say something obvious like "I don't believe in God." And if Derick and Jill actually wanted time to chat about family planning, finances etc. alone -- how hard would it be to buy off James with soda or video games or something that takes him away from their table for 20 min while out to dinner?

I think that Boob offered Josh and Anna a larger house because he wanted to keep controlling them in Buttfuck Ark. He doesn't want any of his sons outshining him in the political arena. He doesn't want his kids doing better than he in any way. Boob is still an ass.

I am glad that Josh and Anna got a bit away from being under his thumb. Josh see the people he works with being nice conservative people who have between 6-9 kids and thinks that it is enough. Josh also likes living the high life and realizes that his lifestyle is a huge improvement over what he had in Arkansas.

I also think that Josh may be smarter than Boob. It is a pity that he wasn't allowed to go to a real school and college.

• Love 4

Did anyone else catch this perk of being married (watching the episode again) after they're married Derrick can Jim Bob Jim Bob?

I feel like letting Josie talk over the littles is a "prove you wrong internet moment", because she talks and everything. she's normal.

Now if she could just learn to let someone else talk. 

Edited by Temperance

Maybe all the weird side hugs, and ultra modest clothing even among family, is because Michelle thinks she defrauded her sister into being gay, with all her hot bikini wearing and cheerleading.

• Love 5

Can't wait to find out his name. It will be awesome & sweet. We can all wear our Duct tape "I'm the mother of the bride" dresses while watching. Barefoot or flip-flops, your choice. Who's up to bringing Tater tot casserole and pickles? Will it make the cover of People?

And special! I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry when I saw the Duct Tape Halloween kit earlier at the store. It came with 6 "sparkly gems" to glue on to whatever you were taping. It was even on clearance. I went with laughing. I'm not sure I can force myself to bring the casserole, but I do love pickles, so sign me up for a jar please.

I think that Boob offered Josh and Anna a larger house because he wanted to keep controlling them in Buttfuck Ark. He doesn't want any of his sons outshining him in the political arena. He doesn't want his kids doing better than he in any way. Boob is still an ass.

I am glad that Josh and Anna got a bit away from being under his thumb. Josh see the people he works with being nice conservative people who have between 6-9 kids and thinks that it is enough. Josh also likes living the high life and realizes that his lifestyle is a huge improvement over what he had in Arkansas.

I also think that Josh may be smarter than Boob. It is a pity that he wasn't allowed to go to a real school and college.

I think it may be occurring to Josh (and Anna) that there are plenty of Godly people even in big bad cities like DC. It may also be occurring to them that there are plenty of Godly people who "only" have 6-9 kids and that is perfectly acceptable; I suspect Anna already knew this and I'm sure Josh realized this hypothetically, but now being around people he likes and maybe even looks up to at work -- he may really be getting that there is no need for him and Anna to push themselves re kids. If they end up with 4, it really is ok and doesn't make them any less conservative or religious than their siblings who will end up with 12.

Like everything these families do, they are child-like and immature events. Their rehearsal dinner, I bet was more like a kid's birthday party rather than a grown up family interacting with the new in-laws dinner. Did I see a photo of Jill and Derick eating off paper plates at this shindig? I realize that regional culture varies across our country, but grown up behavior is grown up behavior...period.

• Love 3

I just want to know what the heck Michelle did in her childhood/teen years that she thinks is so horrible and sinful? Enough so that she would switch to a way of life and cult that makes it where you don't have to have any self-control because their rules are so strict.

She probably touched a boy's private parts and is now forever a SINNER. SMH 

• Love 1

She probably touched a boy's private parts and is now forever a SINNER. SMH

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if those parts were JimBob's and because it's always the woman's fault, evil Eve temptresses that we all are, he's been holding that over her head for their entire marriage.

That's a line I should rewrite because it gave me a mental image that I truly regret.

• Love 4

In a sense you may be right - they're always talking about how they went "too far" before marriage.  I bet one of the reasons JimBob was attracted to Gothardism is because it completely absolved him of that and any other sins of "lust," because Gothard teaches that women are always to blame for those - guys just can't help themselves if someone's ankle is showing!  Damn harlots!

• Love 2

And special! I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry when I saw the Duct Tape Halloween kit earlier at the store. It came with 6 "sparkly gems" to glue on to whatever you were taping. It was even on clearance. I went with laughing. I'm not sure I can force myself to bring the casserole, but I do love pickles, so sign me up for a jar please.

That's too much the kit came w/sparkly gems. Maybe we could give them to MEchelle since she's into the "bling".

Regarding MEchelle's squeaking, the same thing happened to me. I was in another room & couldn't understand a word she was saying but I could understand everyone else. Remember their new beginning (now old) with "our youngest daughter, Josie" replaced us having to hear "our Miracle Josie". Ugh!!

NikSac - I'll sign you up for pickles. I think I have Styrofoam plates gathering dust in my cabinets. I also have plenty of plastic cutlery. I save them when we get carryout. I can't even get my son to use them for his late night snacking in his room. He sometimes forgets to take up a (metal) fork or spoon & I told him he could have some of the plastic ones. He said No thanks, he'd rather come down & get the real thing. He could never be a Duggar. (Thank God)

• Love 1

I had paper plates at my rehearsal dinner. It was barbecue picnic style and we had to feed about 60 people. But as I said, it was more like Josh and Anna's and felt more organic than Jill and Derek's which felt forced. After all, the original engagement had been a big production and rehearsed.

It's our youngest daughter, Josie. With Michelle's baby voice, she's a little tough to understand.

That's what I always thought it said...maybe I was just havin a psychotic break because I knew "we do things a little different" was coming.

The password is... Treasure (for the drinking game next week... I noticed that word got thrown in quite a bit because Michelle needs to treasure all these moments with her surrogates).

Edited by leighroda

NikSac, how are these struggling fundy families affording the "expensive" sneakers? I doubt you can always find them at the consignment/thrift store?

No idea..  but good question! I was quoting someone else, Geml I think, so maybe they know.

Totally agree.  Jim-Bob exhibits a lot of immature and insecure behavior - with one hell of an inferiority complex to boot. And MeChelle's photo should be in textbooks next to the definition of narcissistic personality. The fact that they don't encourage - they even actively discourage - their kids from getting a higher education convinces me more than anything else that Boob and MeChelle are spectacularly-bad parents. It's a universal truth, in all cultures all over the world.  All parents want their children to be more and have more than they had themselves. But not Boob and MeChelle. For them it's - ask not what we can do for our kids - ask what they can do for us.

• Love 4

Josh should be grateful JB and Michelle are major famewhores since he would not have his so-called great life in DC without TLC and the Duggar name. He does not seem to mind the fact his parents are using his political career as a point to the heathens he got a great job with a very poor homefooling education and without a college degree. As long as Josh and Anna let their wonderful new life be filmed for TLC and be used for many FU!!! internet moments, he will always be under his father's thumb.

Josh goes along with letting Anna be filmed giving birth to his children on television, and he lets his children aka his investments be filmed for the almighty buck and to feed his ego so in a way he is his father's son. Of course, now he is eating a little crow because Jill and Derrick have taken center stage with their wedding and first pregnancy. He and Anna are not the top dog anymore, imo, he needs TLC and his job in DC to prove he is the first child to get away from mommy and daddy, get married, and produced the first three grandchildren.

Josh should be grateful JB and Michelle are major famewhores since he would not have his so-called great life in DC without TLC and the Duggar name. He does not seem to mind the fact his parents are using his political career as a point to the heathens he got a great job with a very poor homefooling education and without a college degree. As long as Josh and Anna let their wonderful new life be filmed for TLC and be used for many FU!!! internet moments, he will always be under his father's thumb.

Josh goes along with letting Anna be filmed giving birth to his children on television, and he lets his children aka his investments be filmed for the almighty buck and to feed his ego so in a way he is his father's son. Of course, now he is eating a little crow because Jill and Derrick have taken center stage with their wedding and first pregnancy. He and Anna are not the top dog anymore, imo, he needs TLC and his job in DC to prove he is the first child to get away from mommy and daddy, get married, and produced the first three grandchildren.

There's only one "star" on this show, and that's the woman with the squeaky voice and crunchy hair. I'm no fan of Josh, but I feel bad that he probably knows by now that nobody really counts in this family but the top fame whore MEchelle and by her grace, Jim Bob, her consort. 

• Love 1

Josh may not be the top dog in the family line, but he seems to think he was top dog for a while since he got married and got the little woman knocked up a few times. He has taken a second seat since Jill and Derrick got married and pregnant within a short period of time. He got a small house, and a car lot while Jill got a bigger house, People magazine, and a lot more episodes focus on her special day.

Not really surprising that TLC has given Jill and Derick center stage vs Josh and Anna since Michelle is no longer having kids and therefore doesn't pull attention away from them as a new exciting storyline. I think the dynamic between Jill and Derick is more interesting too because at least for me I was always turned off by Anna (Josh too, to a lesser degree) until recently. And maybe because Jill is the daughter and she and Derick are so likeable and better looking that I'm more drawn in as well? Yeah, that's a bit strange to say, but there you have it.

ETA: Also, because it's been 6 years since a Dugger has married and it is the daughter (a likable, favored daughter) that TLC and the family is gonna go bigger and more detailed into this wedding vs Josh's, even though we, the viewers, hate that it's been dragged out this long. Hopefully we can get to and breeze through Jessa's wedding much more quickly.

Fingers crossed. :)

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 1

I re-watched this episode today and managed to stay awake.

I was surprised that Michelle wears reading glasses...she is NEVER photographed in glasses. I don't know if the constantly wears contacts and those were "cheater readers" or what. I guess her age IS catching up with her.

The little girl, I think Johannah was the only little girl that spoke normally. The other 3 little ones, couldn't understand them to save my life. I was annoyed at those kids being fed their lines. This show is ridiculous at this point as there isn't anything left that is real; scenes are scripted, rehearsed and filmed like a sitcom is.

MacKynzie struggles to pronounce her words and Michael, well, he hasn't made any progress in his speech that I can hear.

Jilly Muffin, interrupted, finished Derick's sentences for him and outright answered questions that were directly asked of Derick. I think that's a sign that Jill is unconfident that Derick is going to answer "correctly' and does it FOR him. That will get old quickly for him.

Totally unnecessary to have to make ties for the guys. What,, is Jana now a mens' tailor too? Could have been purchased quite cheaply and no hassle for CinderJana.

Jessa seemed "surprised" at how long Jana had been sewing those dresses...as she said "wow'? like she hasn't been paying attention at all...so fake, or maybe she was too busy primping her hair and had her head in the clouds now that she is courting Mr. Benjamin...

The happy couple should have been given that workbook to go through together IN PRIVATE. If they are mature enough to get married, they are mature enough to do a workbook exercise on their relationship and marital intent...what?, can't they read? They needed Michelle to read it to them? Their chaperone should have sat at another table on the other side of the yogurt shop to give them some privacy to answer frankly...proves the parents know no boundaries and don't respect those two as adults in their own right and have to micromanage everything. I'm surprised they didn't go on the honeymoon with them and watch that they proceeded correctly...

Jill was married on June 21, probably conceived July 1st...what took her so long? Maybe Mama and Daddy should have gone along after all...

Jim Bob really needs to be a fair father. He most likely set a precident with Josh and Anna and what he helped them with..now, he went over the top for Jill, how will he equalize his assistance with 17 more children to marry in the future? He really needs to remain pretty consistent so each child knows they were treated equally when they were preparing to be married. Who bought Josh and Anna's furniture?

I guess Jessa took Ben's balls out of that pickle jar on her nightstand and had them in her pocket when she dictated to him EXACTLY how he was to move that washer upstairs...that guy felt like a jerk and she was quite aware of that too. She is a primo, first class BITCH. Ben better repossess his testicles and quickly as he will need panties and a bra soon...and she will wear the BVDs in that upper loft.

• Love 7

It also grossed me out a little when Anna said it was ok that Jill took all the good clothes because in 4-5 months she would be pregnant anyway. Just hearing Anna say the word "pregnant" made me a little sick to my stomach! Those people absolutely do NOT leave it up to God. They are on a never ending race for conception over and over for years and that isn't natural, healthy or normal IMO. Well, Jilly accomplished that in less than 4-5 WEEKS. It goes to show you that they are totally obsessed with child bearing, so one dimensional, uninteresting and limited...

• Love 2

Josh and Anna still bug me, and Derrick and Jill are not far behind. I hope we will not be hearing or seeing Josh and Anna giving marriage and raising children advice to his two sisters. It is bad enough watching JB and Michelle attempting to help their daughters and sons-in-laws.

About tennis shoes - Nikes and New Balance are both very popular. Reeboks used to be, especially because you could get them in black and they blended in better, but now most of the major brands have tennis shoes that don't look like big white boats on your feet.

And purses are often knock offs or from consignment stores if they can't save up for a new one from an outlet store. I know one community that has one woman who is a little more worldly - she takes a bus trip to NYC every year and goes to Chinatown and buys up the purses on the street and brings them home and there is a purse party at her home. It's a big deal in this particular group. :)

Josh once bought Anna a Coach bag and she was very attached to it, if I remember correctly. It was in the episode when she (very awkwardly) takes the kids to the library I think.

I guess Jessa took Ben's balls out of that pickle jar on her nightstand and had them in her pocket when she dictated to him EXACTLY how he was to move that washer upstairs...that guy felt like a jerk and she was quite aware of that too. She is a primo, first class BITCH. Ben better repossess his testicles and quickly as he will need panties and a bra soon...and she will wear the BVDs in that upper loft.

Ben might as well change his last name to Duggar.

• Love 4

Xls, Barb23 and Pityfree, you've had way too much fun without me!!!

We're trying to find out the name of the guy Jill is engaged to. I think it's Hugh Hefner.

Edited by xls
  • Love 2

This episode ran tonight... I actually caught the opening credits, I normally avoid them because I can't afford to lose my tv because I want to throw things at it everytime she says "and I delivered every one of them"... But I swear she said "and our youngest star... Josie" I was in a room that does not have rewind on live tv so I don't know if I misheard or if they really said that... Does anyone else know?

When I hear her voice over with 'and I delivered EVERY ONE OF THEM!!' I want to scream. I hear you.

• Love 2

I watched this episode again yesterday. When they were at the yogurt shop, Jim Boob asks "how is your relationship going?" Why does he have to start each & every conversation with them with this line? Can't he just say "how's the wedding plans coming along?" Which I'm sure he already knows. Too bad Derickdillard doesn't answer with "only 2 weeks to go, can't wait, I'm ready to get physical & jump her bones." I think this was the same line Boob asked Jessa on episode where he gives Bin list of chores. She gave him this WTF look & answered "well I'm going to marry him!"

I guess he learned this line at the Marriage Counseling seminar him & MEchelle had to attend to get certified as Marriage Counselors. I'm sure it was an IBLP sponsored seminar given by Gil Bates. (Just joking - don't want to start a rumor)

• Love 1

When Michelle brought up the "intimate side of marriage," I both wanted to hurl and wished that they would show THAT counseling session, just to see JimBob ask Derick if he's looking forward to boning his "little baby girl."

I know there's often talk about how the younger kids will resent Josie if they're not careful, but I think Jennifer already doesn't like her.  During the trio talking heads with the youngest girls, every time Josie says something, Jenni looks incredibly annoyed. 

• Love 3

I hate to tell you, but it isn't just Michelle or the Gothards.  I live in a part of the country where every woman over fifty prays for the first grandchild and devotes her life thereafter to ecstatically babysitting it practically full-time.  I said something about not getting it (I didn't even want kids) and was almost burned at the stake for it.  Please tell me it's just Michelle, the Gothards, and my part of the country...

Not sure what part of the country you're from (I'm assuming The South). I've lived in the Pacific Northwest, South Florida and upper South and find it to be fairly normal. So yeah, burning you at the stake is definitely in order. KIDDING.

Seriously though, it's just a matter of preference. No harm, no foul. I don't think devoting oneself or not devoting oneself to babysitting grandkids and wanting to be with them all the time makes you a better or worse grandparent.

I'm right at that age where I'm in the midst of it all. I have raised a child, but also have a young pre-schooler. Many of my friends are grandparents, but some are also parents for the first time in their forties. And you get a little of everything. People who love children, people who miss being purely adult. And what a lot of people don't talk about - loving a particular age of children but not enjoying (and being outright hostile) to a different developmental age. Michelle isn't the only woman out there who only likes tiny infants.

• Love 1

Josh may not be the top dog in the family line, but he seems to think he was top dog for a while since he got married and got the little woman knocked up a few times. He has taken a second seat since Jill and Derrick got married and pregnant within a short period of time. He got a small house, and a car lot while Jill got a bigger house, People magazine, and a lot more episodes focus on her special day.

Agree - but I think the reason Jill had the involvement of People magazine is because the Duggars are somewhat more famous now than when Josh was married - and either TLC or Boob himself [more likely] offered People the opportunity.  If Josh was getting married instead of Jill, maybe he and Anna would get this coverage. Of course brides are always more interesting than grooms - except of course for JFK Jr - so maybe either way Jill would have been the one to get all the extra hoopla.  It would be very interesting to know whether People approached them or vice versa.  Something tells me People did not do the asking, but I could be wrong.