Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Wedding Countdown!

I would have liked to hear Jim Bob's answer to how Derrick would pay for the engine if he had no money or credit.  They just ended it with "absolutely no debt".  It's a great ideas, but if your car doesn't work, how you going to get to work?  I think Jim Bob's answer to getting more money is to ask for it from church, fans, or whoever.

That was my answer.  He boasts about having no debt, but he is a grifter who tries to get everyone else to pay for him.

• Love 4

Just got the answer to the $64,000 Question about what would Derick do about a blown out engine and NO DEBT! He should have said that he would call on Jim Bob to drive him to work and pick him up at 5:00pm EVERY DAY until he could save up enough money to rectify the situation... I bet Jim Bob would have said,"I have a spare car for you, and it's a wedding gift" right on the spot, yogurt and all!

We all know that Michelle is still emotionally a 17 year old and I highly suspect that she stopped maturing when she met and married Jim Bob one month out of high school.....that nail party proved it to me. No woman nearing 50 "hoards" all of the decals and then puts some in her purse as well...talk about "thou shalt not steal"..that is the woman's inventory she shoved in her purse. I would expect that from my 12 year old sister, maybe.

• Love 10

I'm a little surprised they didn't take advantage of the fact that those yogurt places will usually give you tiny little cups to sample the favors... I bet if they had the kids with them I could totally see them asking for 19 sample cups and lining them up for the kids.

• Love 3

Hey guys, I've lurked all season (and on/off on the old TWOP boards) and finally bothered to actually make an account. So, hi!

Ugh, where do I even start? I wish Derrick had politely asked something like, "I want to avoid going into debt if possible. All-knowing Jim Boob, what do *you* think I should do if I had zero money to my name and my car blew up and I needed to drive to my real-person job?" I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten a straight answer, but I would have preferred that to watching him parrot back "zero debt zero debt!" with no explanation. And Boob's accusatory questions about college debt were infuriating.

I would have loved to see one of their "intimacy" lessons. Actually I probably would've thrown up a bucket of froyo.

Why did Jinderella have to sew all those ties by hand?! I love that Anna actually seemed concerned and appreciative. As grating as her TH's can sometimes be, I do really like Anna. She seems more reasonable than the blood-Duggars.

I want to see more of James! As of this season, he's my fave Duggar by far. I hope he survives puberty without the life being sucked from him. 

As weird as it was, I almost kind of liked watching MEchelle get all excited about the nail wraps. She was being candid and silly, and it seemed like a nice change of pace from the weird persona we're normally treated to.

• Love 6

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but Mackynzie is awesome. In a TH with Michael she said "I'm going to meet a guy and know him and know him and know him really well, then we'll get married"

I LOVE that she said "know him" 3 times! Anna's got her priorities straight with that one!

I also think Derick likes and enjoys being around James. He even thanked him for his help with the mailbox & seemed very genuine. I bet he likes all of Jill's "kids" though.

• Love 8

Props to Anna for noticing how hard Jana was working, and actually commenting on it.

Am I the only one who finds hanging over 100 family photos on the wall a little odd?  I love a special family photo as much as the next person, but I certainly don't have them plastered on the walls of every room in my house. And were they all of Duggars?  Derick has a family too.  All those frames were not cheap.  Buying used sofas and splurging on fancy picture frames?  Someone has their priorities messed up.

Of course there was the requisite letter "D" on the mantel.  The Duggars' decorating style is straight from Hobby Lobby.

• Love 10

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that the pre-fab business went under during the 2008 (or sometime near then) recession.  Prefab was like any other type of mortgage loan, and when lenders tightened requirements and people started going under, that would have hit the pre-fab market just as hard (if not a little harder.)

But if the Seewalds had practiced what they preached until then, Ben's family probably made a pretty good living up until then, and their home should be paid for, their cars should be paid for (snicker) and the windshield repair business is a blow to perhaps their standard of living, but their fundamentals were solid.  That's who should be giving the couples advice -- as in what to do when you're business goes under and you have to take a whole other type of manual job 60 hours a week to put food on the table.  Not the reality TV star parents.

• Love 2

I actually hope Jessa and Ben wind up in Grandma's house and that Ben gets to work at something more than being Jim Bob's assistant/slave.

Even though I'm sure Grandma could live there if she wanted to, she doesn't seem to mind living with Jim Bob and MIchelle, even if it means doing mountains of laundry every day. I suspect Grandma realized long ago how crazy Michelle is and stepped in to help many years ago, way before Grampa died. 

I'm liking the dynamic of Jessa being somewhat bossy with Ben. I bet it's her way of thumbing her nose at her parents who believe that the man is the head of the household and she's supposed to be under his authority bullshit. Jessa is going to wear the pants in that family.

• Love 3

Three thoughts

- I think Jessa and her desire for a small house seems fine. She's not the type of person who wants a massive house to clean. She doesn't seem to be the type of person who likes to clean, in general. I think her area of expertise is organization. A cottage like the one Erin Bates and her husband have would be more suitable to them. I remember she and Ben touring it and Jessa seemed impressed. I don't see it as sour grapes.

- I get the feeling that Jim Bob is getting some sort of flack for giving Jill a mansion because ideas such as "is anyone jealous", "are you going to do it for everyone else (or is Jill special)", "why didn't you do that for Anna and Josh", "you didn't have a house the size of that house when you started, what gives" etc are coming up and it's not a tremendously flattering edit for him.

- what happened to the house Jim Bob wanted to set up for Josh and Anna. I remember the kids cleaning up a house on the back area of their property, saying that it would theirs.

Edited by glow

I agree about the pictures. So we have a 100 pictures of the Duggar family and none of the Dillards, Derick's college friends or the people Derick worked with in Nepal? 

When Anna made the comments about Jana doing all the work, I think she was genuinely concerned. She had a look on her face like "Are you effing kidding me? None of these lazy bitches helped you?" It felt like one of those rare, non-scripted moments that occasionally sneaks into reality television. Mackynzie is adorable and Michael is the spitting image of Josh. Ain't no denying that boy on Maury, lol!!

Regarding James, I think Derick could end up being a really great mentor for him. The poor kid seems desperate for a male role model and he follows Derick around like a little puppy. Out of all of Jill's buddies, I think James is struggling the most with Jill's absence.

ETA: glow, I agree about Jessa. That girl is nothing if not practical and realistic. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I am surprised at myself for saying this, but Josh is actually a lot less insufferable since he moved to DC.  I think being away from the family and interacting with other people at work has had a positive,and to some degree, humbling influence on him.  He also seems really good with his kids. 

I'm sure his social media posts still grate, but I don't follow him at all.  Just commenting on what I saw last night.

• Love 4

With all the work that Jill has done in her 20-plus years of indentured servitude, raising the children that her Mother was too drugged up to handle, JB ought to just hand the keys over and say, "Thank you. Have a house."   Jessa, on the other hand, should just get Josh's old house. Only Jill and Jana deserve McMansions for doing Michelle's job for her. 

Exactly.  Can you imagine how many newly married couples would be ecstatic even to receive Josh's old house?  As big of an ass as Jim Boob is, Ben and Jessa should be on their hands and knees thanking him for giving them a place to begin their ill-fated, thoroughly ridiculous marriage. 

• Love 8

Exactly.  Can you imagine how many newly married couples would be ecstatic even to receive Josh's old house?  As big of an ass as Jim Boob is, Ben and Jessa should be on their hands and knees thanking him for giving them a place to begin their ill-fated, thoroughly ridiculous marriage. 

Jessa certainly wouldn't welcome a mansion like Jill has, even if Jim Bob wanted to give them their own. She's stated that clearly enough for me. She wants a small house, a cottage, so Josh and Anna's old house perhaps would be suitable. There also may still be another house on the property that Josh and Anna were supposed to be given. Jim Bob also probably has other real estate holdings he's not selling right now. 

I am liking Anna lately. I was pretty impressed a couple episodes ago when she talked about being willing to welcome more kids, but feeling the need to appreciate the ones they have. And last night, yes, she was the only one who seemed the least bit concerned about CinderJana.

This whole dressmaking thing, paired with the fact that she doesn't seem to be courting, reinforces my belief that at some point, Jana was in trouble with Boob and J'Chelle. And has anyone else noticed that there really seems to be no interaction between Jana and her parents, period?

I would pay good money to see Jana tell her parents to go to hell, then walk out of there and never look back. That poor girl is nothing more than an unappreciated slave to that family and if God is the kind and loving entity that I've been taught that He is, then He'll intervene and get Jana out of that mess she's in.
  • Love 6

Silly probably, but it annoys me to no end the way Jill and DerickDillard hold hands. They look so awkward.

Me too like they are saying "don't run away from me."

Who else thinks that Boob is not going to be selling that house now that Jill is with child. I can't see Boob making them homeless. And I can see Boob setting those two up for their own reality show too. Jill has achieved the Gothard dream for a girl, get married and have kids. She is on the fast track to more fame errrr I mean famewhoring with Baby Dilly on the way.

I still find it beyond strange that Amy was not asked to be in the bridal party nor is she anywhere near the girls this season. 

Edited by Fuzzysox

Michelle please put down the nail wraps and slowly back away! Why did someone not tell her how hideous her nails looked. Oh and never say blind again, it was so awkward it made me cringe.

Love James with his snark and spunk. I hope the years he has left in the nut house, I mean Duggar house, does not drain him of all his attitude.

• Love 1

How do you pay for frozen yogurt at those places? Is it just by the cup size or do they weight it? JB looked like he was going for a full meal there.

Generally it's by weight.  Now if you come across a place that is not doing so well like some around here - they will charge it to a flat rate per size.  Weight is generally better if you're a good judge of not going overboard.  My friend likes to get the biggest cup possible so that she can have small samplings of 4-5 different flavors.  I like minimal froyo with lots of toppings so I can generally get mine less than $5 which beats the price at regular ice cream places.  

However, my friend and I have since decided we much prefer regular ice cream.  Like someone else said, froyo melts super fast and tastes a bit ice-y and not creamy like ice cream.

Thank goodness it did look like they got a new mattress. Anyone else notice the new washer & dryer? Maybe they were a gift from Grandma Duggar.

Edit: just watched episode again & saw they did get washer& dryer at the auction. I wonder if they're sold "As is". How do you know if the appliances work? Has anyone been to this type of auction that included appliances?

That's a good question regarding if the washer and dryer work.  Sad thing is, they could have gotten a brand new basic set for probably the same price they paid for the used fancy set. 

I would have liked to hear Jim Bob's answer to how Derrick would pay for the engine if he had no money or credit.  They just ended it with "absolutely no debt".  It's a great ideas, but if your car doesn't work, how you going to get to work?  I think Jim Bob's answer to getting more money is to ask for it from church, fans, or whoever.

That drove me nuts - and that counseling was ridiculous.  Of course Derrick and Jill are just going to say what they know JB And michelle want to hear.  A lot of people say they won't go into debt.  No one wants to go into debt.  But life just kinda happens sometimes.

Love James with his snark and spunk.

I find James’ “I couldn’t care less or give a damn” attitude rather refreshing.  I know all the Duggar girls, but the only Duggar boys that I could pick out of a lineup are Josh, John David, Jeremiah and James.  If any of the others were to rob me, I wouldn’t be able to say who it was. 

What I found interesting was Derek musing about the current stage of their relationship, relative to where it would be in just a day and a half.  At least he has the good sense to know that they’ve skipped several important and vital stages.

• Love 1

I'm sure I'm reading too much into it but when Derick said "we've only held hands, in one day we'll go from that to . . . being a married couple," he seemed nervous. I guess it's likely that Jill is Derick's first -- not unheard of in conservative Christians though there are lots of men who break that rule and then "re-virginize." You'd think he'd be like horny Ben about it, though I guess he thought he would have hugged and kissed his partner plenty and had plenty of physical contact and would only save sex for the wedding night; guess he never expected to be in a situation where he had to go from teaching a girl how to kiss to intercourse in the span of a few hours.

So glad James was there to chaperone the installation of the mailbox. Without him -- who knows -- Jill and Derick may have just started going at it right there on the front lawn for all the neighbors to see.

I come from a REALLY conservative Asian culture myself (arranged marriages are just now starting to become old fashioned), so I know there are plenty of couples who do nothing -- not even holding hands -- and then obviously have sex, start families and stay in marriages for decades -- so I get that couples have done fine for generations without physical contact. But I really don't get what would happen if the Duggars actually let the couples have some contact. When Derick was lying down on the bed and Jill made a big show of saying -- WELL we can't do that, I will lie down on the chair across the room -- what exactly would have happened if she had been side by side with him on the bed for 3 min!? They'd really start going at it with the entire family in the house?? Even Chad and Erin seemed closer before the wedding as there were pictures of her in his lap and him with his arms wrapped around her in her parents' home.

I think Jessa already knows she aint getting a Barbie Dream House like Jill, with the way she went on and one last night about how she wants their first house to be small and cozy. 

Right, she was going on about wanting a small first home, and Bin just stood there like a dunce. Well, Bin, what will you provide?

what exactly would have happened if she had been side by side with him on the bed for 3 min!? They'd really start going at it with the entire family in the house??

They weren't alone; James was in the room. 

At the end of the auction they showed a itemized list of what Jim Boob purchased. I swear the last item said "stuffed monkey $5.00". I was so sick of this show I deleted it off my dvr before I could double check. Did anyone else catch that?

• Love 3
How on earth would Derrick buy the house from JB any time soon? Walmart is not exactly a generous company.

He could always take out a loan. 

I wonder if JB would refuse him, since debt is a sure sign you've been possessed by the devil. 

• Love 1

I don't think there is any intention of selling the house at this point considering Jill and Derrick said several times it was a great place to start a family with enough room for a bunch of little Dillard making me think they would put some roots down.

Michelle saying she likes bling when talking about her fingernails was just comical and a worldly thing to say.

I feel so uncomfortable watching Josie. It's like the light is on but nobody's home though the "over here, guys" was cute.

Ben looks like he's stoned half the time to me.

• Love 5

At the end of the auction they showed a itemized list of what Jim Boob purchased. I swear the last item said "stuffed monkey $5.00". I was so sick of this show I deleted it off my dvr before I could double check. Did anyone else catch that?

You are correct! I just checked my recording. OMG.

I agree about all the pictures. Are they going to add in wedding photos too? IIRC Erin Bates & Chad (not sure if correct name) had only pictures of themselves in their house. Very modest.

I feel sorry for the younger kids. I thought Boob said he probably couldn't do this for all the kids, meaning a house & furnishings. I guess it is good they got used furniture cuz we know the younger kids don't have manners & will be climbing over everything in dirty bare feet when they come over to fellowship.

I just can't believe how they dressed up Miracle in the video. I know I posted it before but she looked more like a Storm trooper from Star Wars than a policeman & she was the center of attention, again.

• Love 2

He said he wasn't sure he would be able to help them all.... which is pretty spot on and honest.  I'm sure he would love to help all his kids the way he has with Jill but no one knows if they will keep having the money coming in that they do now by the time Josie is getting hitched.

The duggars getting married in the next 2-3 years will probably be really freaking lucky and spoiled in what they receive.  

Not saying they shouldn't either, it's great that their parents can help them get a good start. 

Edited by gunderda

OK, so let me get this straight.  Jill is getting married and moving out.  They will miss her.  How the heck many ways can you say this? Well, enough ways to fill a one hour tv show.  I got so sick of hearing this last night!  Why didn't they just line everyone up and have them go one by one and say,"Jill is moving out and I'll miss her.  It will be different in our house."  It's not like she's moving hundreds of miles away.  Get over it!   Josiah was missing in action again but Jason looks an awful lot like him IMO.  Also one of the twins looks a lot like him too.  Can't keep all the J names straight.  Liking Anna more and more except for when she said something about Jill being expecting in 4 or 5 months (even though she was right).   

Do you think the family will miss Jill when she gets married and moves out?  LOL!

• Love 3

You can tell Jill is the favorite, she gets this big house, lots of furniture<blerg> and all of the sibs have to move said blergy furniture into said bigass house. As well as the bigass wedding.

Big Ass Dad sure is shoveling out the money.

I don't remember the exact quote but Jim Bob straight up admitted that with 19 kids theres no way they will be able to do everything that they are doing for Jill for all of them. WTF if you can't take care of them all the same you had too many!!!

• Love 2

Yep, I noticed the $5.00 stuffed monkey too.

Why wouldn't Jim Bob be able to "afford" a nice wedding for the rest of the girls? They are champions at soliciting free love offerings from the obviously multitude of friends they have who just clamor to help the engaged couple for FREE. Why would JB change his image in a few years? I think he'll bum off of their friends as long as he can...also, he did NOT shell out big bucks for Jill's wedding; if he paid $3,000 for that furniture, that's nothing for a man with the cash he has, also just about everything else was free from retailers mentioned on the show...

Did anyone else notice in the coming attractions to Jill's actual wedding that she AND Erin Bates said exactly the same thing just before their wedding ceremony? "I'm scared!" is what both of them said. I think it's because that was the one moment when those two girls actually realized that they were getting married and it's forever, they were not sure they knew the guy well enough to commit. Brides have some nerves before the wedding usually, and that's normal, but I think it's because they had a moment of reality hit them...What do you all think?

• Love 1

If I were Jessa, I would want a home that was too small for any of my family to stay over, ever. After living with that many people, I'd want to be able to say, "sorry you have to leave now, but we don't have any spare room", all the while being grateful they were going.

• Love 8

If I were Jessa, I would want a home that was too small for any of my family to stay over, ever. After living with that many people, I'd want to be able to say, "sorry you have to leave now, but we don't have any spare room", all the while being grateful they were going.

Me, too.  They haven't exactly respected Josh and Anna's too-small-houses.  Remember when they all showed up for Thanksgiving en masse and a day ahead of schedule, expecting to be accommodated?  Josh was right in the middle of creating Jim Boob and J'Chelle's custom-made love nest in the spare room, while the kids and their mothers pretty much slept on the bus or wherever they could stake out a patch of carpet in the house.  *barf*

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 1

Ha Ha, good point! It gives Jessa the perfect excuse to avoid hosting Thanksgiving!!!

I thought about Mechelle's love of bling all day today. Got me wondering if we could commission Nettie Stanley from Gypsy Sisters to make Mechelle a beautiful t-shirt that says MOTHER OF THE BRIDE so everyone knows who she is! Bling lots and lots of bling please!!!!!!! Strangely I woud be sure she would wear it too. 

• Love 1

Okay count me as someone who always more than usually freaked out by this episode.

Starting with Jim Boob as Polonius (Hamlet) in more ways than one.

First it's neither a borrower nor a lender be.. 

Ok, but in a real crisis people generally do what they have to do. His examples and how far he expected to take it seemed a little extreme. I hope Arkansas has good public transit for people living as far out as Jill and Derrick seem to be living since the example seemed to be his car needing to be replaced. Or maybe the point was buy all your cars at my used car dealership.

Then his continued emphasis on purity and his daughter's love (sex?) life

"My baby daughter is getting married." My mom still sometimes calls me her baby, but somehow hearing Jim Bob say his baby daughter freaked me out. Maybe mom uses it more as an endearment, and he was using it while talking to complete strangers. Also he has seven daughters and fifteen children younger than her. 

Michael was cute with his suitcase. 

I actually like seeing Josh and Anna and kids. Who the f** are those other people? I know they're "friends of the family", but who are they? If I were Jill, I would not want all these people. It seems like Boob and Mechelle invited their entire high school graduating class (sarcasm)! Of course Jill doesn't exactly have too many friends she can call her own never going to school or college (Plus the basic Gothard principles). I know she has her midwife clients, but they're next week and they seem to live in the area. I hope Derrick gets to invite people important to him. It seems like there are so many Duggar friends there may be less room for his.

and finally

Run Jana, Run! Take Josiah with you, and get out before they start you in a courtship.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

He could always take out a loan. 

I wonder if JB would refuse him, since debt is a sure sign you've been possessed by the devil. 

LOL, right? I would have said I would do without a car and take public transportation (as I've had to do myself), but I doubt there is any decent public transport in their area.

It's kind of weird how in Fundie world it seems like people will know hundreds of families, but aren't really close with any of them. When Boob was introducing that one guy he didn't even know any of the man's kids and then Joy came up to him and told him a family was here but she had no idea who they were. Am I off? Do any of you have hundreds of random "sort of-aquaintances-but-not-really-friends" type of people over to your house? It's just so odd to me.

• Love 8

He said he wasn't sure he would be able to help them all.... which is pretty spot on and honest.  I'm sure he would love to help all his kids the way he has with Jill but no one knows if they will keep having the money coming in that they do now by the time Josie is getting hitched.

The duggars getting married in the next 2-3 years will probably be really freaking lucky and spoiled in what they receive.  

Not saying they shouldn't either, it's great that their parents can help them get a good start. 

He can just hand over Jill's share of all the TLC money she earned as part of the dog-and-pony-show.

• Love 1

It's kind of weird how in Fundie world it seems like people will know hundreds of families, but aren't really close with any of them. When Boob was introducing that one guy he didn't even know any of the man's kids and then Joy came up to him and told him a family was here but she had no idea who they were. Am I off? Do any of you have hundreds of random "sort of-aquaintances-but-not-really-friends" type of people over to your house? It's just so odd to me.

Maybe they just call other fundie families. A wedding is a great place to court someone

I think Jana did a fine job for the amount of work she had to do/in the amount of time in which she had to do it. They weren't perfect but the poor girl had to plan/design/rework ALL of those already hideous dresses and make them look completely different. She had to do all of Jill's wedding stuff because as we saw tonight, Jill just said "Do it. Whatever. I'll just show up." THEN she had to make all of those ties. All by herself. To top it all off, she had to continue all of her household duties with little to no help from the engaged and courting princesses. I don't know where she found the hours to get everything done. She sounded kind of bitter tonight, but who can blame her? I secretly hope she added that ugly white bottom to get back at Jill!

I thought she did a good job too, all things considered. I felt like the whole thing was "Here, take a bunch of questionable dresses, we bought you one extra for fabric even though you asked for more, ohhhh... and by the way you're making the ties. Thanks Jana!" 

Totally laughing about that ugly white bottom piece. Maybe it was more intentional than we originally thought.

• Love 3

Well, if JillandDerrickDillard ever move out of the house and the 100 photos have to go, JimBob will send Bin over with a tub of spackle. No worry.

Perhaps the stuffed monkey toy from the second-hand place is for little Dill Pickle. It's never too early to learn to buy used and save the difference.

Did anyone else notice in the coming attractions to Jill's actual wedding that she AND Erin Bates said exactly the same thing just before their wedding ceremony? "I'm scared!" is what both of them said. I think it's because that was the one moment when those two girls actually realized that they were getting married and it's forever, they were not sure they knew the guy well enough to commit. Brides have some nerves before the wedding usually, and that's normal, but I think it's because they had a moment of reality hit them...What do you all think?

I thought the "I'm scared!" from Erin Bates was more an issue of walking down the aisle in front of a gazillion people while being filmed for TV.

Mullet did NOT have those multi-blinged nails when she wore her bibbed mummy dress to the wedding. That was all for show and to have her requisite narcissist camera time, scripted by her "wonderful husband".

This wedding is getting painful to watch being stretched out longer than the courtship. And the "reenactment"? That was worse than watching somebody else's kid in a tap dance recital. Does JB dream this crap up at home and then pitch it to TLC? And why do they go for it? The Roloff wedding (very beautiful BTW) was on within 10 days of the ceremony.

Did Jill think she could get pregnant flopping down on that mattress with DerickDillard.........with her brother and the camera crew there? I thought she was going to swoon onto the fainting couch like in an old Elizabethan novel. JB must've scripted that one too. Gag.

I still maintain that the edit for Jana is to make her look marketable to find  a Fundie guy. I'll bet she's had plenty of suitors, but JB has rejected them all.

Josie? Delayed? Why should they care? What is she getting prepared for? She's never even going to be a Sister Mom. She's just waiting for Prince Charming.

And the "interior decorators"? That was Hobby Lobby on steroids. Eighty bazillion photos of the Duggars, all hung way too high,  staring down from every wall of the house..... kind of like Jesus eyes following you around. Ick.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2

I love how Bin had obviously never considered the kind of first house he envisioned himself in. How is this teenager who's never considered where he would live when married actually getting married? Going to live with Boob-in-law forever? You could see them both thinking, "hey Jim bob, we don't really need too much. Just a small house." Oh, and a job too.

I think the writers get drunk and come up with the most ridiculous captions ever as sort of an inside joke. They're so stupid it hurts my brain to read them.

How nice of Jill to hand her wedding off to Jana to plan so she could just "show up." Everyone treats Jana like shit. Cinderjana indeed.

• Love 4