Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: The Highest Bidder

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Let me give you the script for how it'll go down

Designer:  well you know, she is supposed to be a feminist robot doctor from the future, so I was thinking a strong eye, and a red lip

Handlebar:  well why don't fabulous blood red from the Party City "Get your Zombie on collection".....starts applying to the models lips.....as you can see, this color really makes her lips look so fresh, but so strong and it makes a bold statement.

Handlebar:  And if we use a dab of the "pus green" for the lid, and a little of the "scab brown" for the browbone, her eyes will really pop.

Designer: wow, she looks great, thanks Party City!

*facial shot of the model flashes on the screen as they head to the White Rain hair design studio*

I have tears streaming down my cheeks.

• Love 2

I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved Sandro, and I don't think him as bad as everyone else did

I have a soft spot for his hoochie Marie Antoinette bow tie dress. I truly don't understand how the same judges who stroked Sandhya for weeks didn't see the humor in that piece.

• Love 8

I have a soft spot for his hoochie Marie Antoinette bow tie dress. I truly don't understand how the same judges who stroked Sandhya for weeks didn't see the humor in that piece.

I actually really liked the piece, so I guess I'm really a hoochie at heart.....maybe Char will have a ready to wear collection at some point :)

Korina did that thing I cannot forgive: insulting someone, and then when that person defends herself, bitching at her about how this "isn't about you!"  I hate that so much.  Korina is a legend in her own mind.  She was on the bottom or in the middle the vast majority of the time.  Her stuff is really not all that imaginative or fresh.  It always felt stodgy to me.

ITA on all counts. First of all, her designs usually look like something from the Chico's catalog my mom used to get in the 80s and 90s. If you're looking for something that middle aged women would have worn 20-30 years ago, check out Korina's collection!

I don't like people who are full of themselves (and there is a HUGE difference between being confident and being arrogant/delusional/obnoxious), but if you're going to be that way then you'd better have the goods to back up that attitude. IMO Korina does not.

She is always convinced that her design is The Best and then she's perplexed and upset that she didn't win the challenge. Granted the judges are still smoking crack (as Tim Gunn began noticing several seasons ago), but you came on this show TO BE JUDGED. Just as Korina doesn't see the appeal of Char's designs, the judges don't seem to see the appeal of Korina's designs. See how that works? Putting yourself in someone else's shoes? Trying to see a different point of view? But Korina appears to be one of those people who thinks that if you disagree with her, then you are automatically wrong.

She has been smug and condescending for most of the competition, but tonight she just revved up her bitchiness to 11. It doesn't matter if you respect Char (or any of the other contestants) as a designer. You don't decide who is worthy to compete against because you are not a judge.  Whether you respect Char or not, the judges decided that your look sucked ass. Instead of eliminating you outright, they gave your the opportunity to kick Char's ass and prove that you are oh so superior to her. Instead Korina put out a poorly fitted and very dated dress. I actually had that exact same dress in 1993 except it was made with a stretchy cotton fabric so it didn't look like someone gave me a wrinkled puckered ill fitting dress and forced me to wear it in public.

I will concede that Korina is allowed to be upset. We are each entitled to our feelings ("Let me feel my feelings!" - JD on Scrubs), but that doesn't give you the right to be a total bitch to someone else. Feel whatever you want but don't be mean just because you're upset. That was classic emotionally abusive behavior there. "You suck! But don't get mad because I just said something shitty about you! This isn't about you! I'm the one who's upset and I'm allowed to be upset! Stop having any kind of reaction!"

You can make a bold graphic dress with colors besides black and white. Her excuse that there weren't many choices didn't ring true since Char made a dress with very bold color. And if I were Heidi, I would have been annoyed that Korina interrupted her and talked over her to say that it was this black and white fabric or teddy bears. Honestly, I think that the judges would have critiqued Korina's dress more harshly if she hadn't had such a shit fit on the runway. It seemed like they were trying to be encouraging so she wouldn't have a nervous breakdown.

Nina is not my favorite judge, but I was glad she asked Korina if she was always going to go back to the same theme because it's a fair question. Korina's answer was so lame. "I don't hate it." Why can't you just say "I like it" instead? But more importantly, what the judges want to hear is "Although I have a very specific point of view, I can show you my versatility." They don't want to hear "Yes, I'm going to keep doing the same thing so suck it!" When the judges asked who should go home, Korina said she and Emily shouldn't because they put a lot of work in. How many times must I remind reality show contestants that it doesn't matter how much you want it or how hard you worked? All that matters is the finished product. If you are a prodigy who doesn't even really like what you're doing (like Maureen Cummings the best goddamn dancer in the American Ballet Academy), it doesn't matter how much you do or don't try as long as the end result is that your work is awesome. So no, Korina, the fact that you worked really hard on this week's challenge doesn't mean you should stay. If you work really hard and produce a turd, it's still a turd no matter how much you strained over it. I also loved that Nina's reaction to all of Korina's histrionics was just a stone cold poker face.

It cracked me up that Heidi said Korina and Emily had a clear concept. That ridiculous theme was way too complicated ("Our girl is a Peruvian fashion photographer who is traveling to Helsinki to do a street style shoot") and nonsensical. I also thought it was hilarious that Korina kept saying their looks were wearable. Technically anything is wearable. A tablecloth is wearable if you wrap it around yourself correctly. But how many people are going to want to wear a vinyl blouse with arts and crafts cuffs with a fringed skirt with a poncho and a huge floppy hat?

As for Char, how do you manage to make something that's both boring and hoochie?

I loved Kini's soccer dress. He really embraced the unconventional materials part of the challenge. He could have bitched about how their storage unit had almost no fabric, but instead he just got on with it and made something out of what he had. It definitely looked like something that a young starlet would wear on the red carpet to something like the MTV VMAs.

I usually don't like Amanda's designs but I loved the fabric she used for her pants. The design itself wasn't earth shattering (and her model's butt looks SO flat in the pants) but she used the fabric well and made a decent outfit. Heh, I loved that Christian Siriano mentioned the pattern pointing at her girl parts.

Edited because shows are not shoes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 15

Dang ElectricBoogaloo, way to say it!

Although strangely, according to Christian, some chick in Aspen is wanting to wear that outfit.  Whatever, let me see the whites of her eyes while she is wearing that, and then I'll believe it.

But seriously....I liked your post, but I wanted to also give you an internet "woot woot" and maybe that Arsenio Hall arm thing from back in the day.

• Love 1

Haha, not some chick in Aspen - some woman in Aspen who is just swanning about her chalet!

And I'll take an Arsenio Hall arm thing any day! Sometimes I still miss his ridiculously bright suits and the dog pound barking.

Heh apparently I got a little bit worked up about Korina this week. I think Emily's issue was rooted more in hippie energy stuff but I can understand not wanting to get sucked into that kind of negativity. Korina is a blamer. Instead of saying that the judges didn't like her stuff from the original poriton of the challenge but that she would make something so awesome they would have no choice but to keep her over Char, she spent half her sewing time talking shit about Char and how unfair it was that she had to compete against such a peon making an ugly blue dress. Nothing is ever Korina's fault according to Korina. It's Char's fault for being a sucky designer and it's Tim Gunn's fault for using his save on Char and it's the judges' fault for not recognizing Korina's obvious superiority. It's never because Korina made an ugly outfit.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

ElectricBoogaloo - I appreciate the passion and the humor of the post.  And it said what I had been trying to say, but sometimes my words, while voluminous, aren't as clear.  No, never Korina's fault, in every challenge it is like she has been possessed by Michelangelo and produces pure wearable art.  

It must just be very frustrating for her.  I mean would these judges deny the beauty of the Sistine Chapel?  Because its almost exactly the same thing when they aren't giving Korina a win.

Heh apparently I got a little bit worked up about Korina this week. I think Emily's issue was rooted more in hippie energy stuff but I can understand not wanting to get sucked into that kind of negativity. Korina is a blamer. Instead of saying that the judges didn't like her stuff from the original poriton of the challenge but that she would make something so awesome they would have no choice but to keep her over Char, she spent half her sewing time talking shit about Char and how unfair it was that she had to compete against such a peon making an ugly blue dress. Nothing is ever Korina's fault according to Korina. It's Char's fault for being a sucky designer and it's Tim Gunn's fault for using his save on Char and it's the judges' fault for not recognizing Korina's obvious superiority. It's never because Korina made an ugly outfit.

And this is what confuses me. I don't actually agree with Korina's assessment of her mad skilz, but if she really was all that and a handful of gumdrops, is there really nothing in her repertoire between blanket chic and my mom's knockoff Mondrian tribute from the eighties? FFS, Char sewed a tube.

• Love 2

Let me give you the script for how it'll go down

Designer:  well you know, she is supposed to be a feminist robot doctor from the future, so I was thinking a strong eye, and a red lip

Handlebar:  well why don't fabulous blood red from the Party City "Get your Zombie on collection".....starts applying to the models lips.....as you can see, this color really makes her lips look so fresh, but so strong and it makes a bold statement.

Handlebar:  And if we use a dab of the "pus green" for the lid, and a little of the "scab brown" for the browbone, her eyes will really pop.

Designer: wow, she looks great, thanks Party City!

*facial shot of the model flashes on the screen as they head to the White Rain hair design studio*

Heh. The "pus green" isn't that far off from the MK commercial when he(?) talks about layering on three greens because green is all the rage this season. "Pus green" is pretty close to the result.

While on MK : I love the other "look" commercial where the model morphs from "eh" to "clown car."

• Love 2

It's just wildly the wrong product line for this show. MK is designed to blend. It's not drama makeup, and putting it on with a trowel (or, god help us, scraping it off with a business card and Saturday Night Fever called and it wants its contouring back) doesn't make it high impact. It just looks muddy and clownlike.

Also, because this bugged me so much, that "red" lip handlebar was trying to sell last week? Was fuchsia.

• Love 4
Korina is a blamer. Instead of saying that the judges didn't like her stuff from the original poriton of the challenge but that she would make something so awesome they would have no choice but to keep her over Char, she spent half her sewing time talking shit about Char and how unfair it was that she had to compete against such a peon making an ugly blue dress.

Exactafrigginmundo!  She lacks insight, or the ability to critique herself.  It's always easier to blame others than to fix yourself, right?

Emily was the mature one. She was mature and smart enough to know that anything she would have said besides slams against Char and her design would have made things worse (for Korina and herself). Korina was too wound up.

I so agree with this.  Sometimes you just have to put your head down and stay out of the way.  I think if she had said anything to Korina it would have made the situation worse, and she probably didn't want to add to the downfall.   

So enjoyed our Sister Christian coming back for some judge time.  Didn't care for him much his season, but he's really matured and I really love his designs now.  He had crystal shoes at fashion week that I'd love love love to own.  I'd never wear them, but they are beautiful.  His whole line was to die for.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 1

Heh. The "pus green" isn't that far off from the MK commercial when he(?) talks about layering on three greens because green is all the rage this season. "Pus green" is pretty close to the result.

While on MK : I love the other "look" commercial where the model morphs from "eh" to "clown car."

Emerald green was color of the year at Sephora.....two years ago

I'm just sayin'

Also, because this bugged me so much, that "red" lip handlebar was trying to sell last week? Was fuchsia.

okay, thank goodness its not just me, because I was like "I don't think that's really a red lip"  But handlebar seemed so confident, so certain, so I figured I must be wrong.

And if I were Heidi, I would have been annoyed that Korina interrupted her and talked over her to say that it was this black and white fabric or teddy bears.

They probably would have sent her home anyway because that dress was so bad, and Char's was good in the one-hour challenge, but I really think that's where Heidi turned against Korina. Once Korina interrupted her, Heidi was not going to pull for her anymore.

• Love 2

This spoof of Swatch is more of a masterpiece than ANY creation dreamed up, sketched or sewn by Korina.

LJMLe6v.jpg

It bothers me that they are bringing her back in next week's episode. Goes to show that Project Runway is no longer about fashion, creativity, or designing. Another "reality program" going for the sensational, bitchy contestant to draw in viewers. As she storms off the set, will she also take a swipe at the cameraperson, as did  hot-tempered Sandro zL0XDWd.png

• Love 3

I adore a lovely green. :)

I'm apparently not going to get it with that product. That's what the company itself is showing this pasty Dane (me) in its own commercials. Really doesn't translate well to video - at least not how it's being used here.

I'm a makeup addict. I'll try anything. They're doing nothing to convince me to give Mary Kay a try in their sponsorship or commercials this season.

What I learned from Korina (top) and MK (commercial) this episode: we have wildly different definitions of "lovely green."

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3

Korina did indeed get robbed!

Based on the judges opinions she had won two of the last four challenges,  Char had won none all season.

If they were both equally bad this week, the judges  should have based it on overall body of work, in which case Korina would have wiped the floor with Char.

As has been mentioned numerous times over the years; judging is based on that weeks output, not a total of the designer's projects over the course of the competition. Occasionally the judges will comment that someone's overall projects may have been superior to the others overall efforts but that's rare. And, has been brought out many times in this thread, Korina was in the bottom several times and told flatout that she was lucky to have immunity at least once.

In her opinion, yes, she was robbed. In fact, she screwed up. (okay, IMO, she screwed up.)

I think Amanda clearly, clearly deserved that win because she was obviously the driving force behind that team--she picked the storage compartment, she picked the Psychedelic Yeti, she picked the extra fabric, everything was as far from Kini's usual deal as it could be.

I give Amanda credit for what you said, absolutely. It seemed to me that she and Kini worked well as a team, Kini bowed to her choice of containers and then he, in cooperation with his partner, made it work. Both added to the final results and both gave the other credit where it was due. They showed both personal and professional respect for one another--a nice thing, actually. I don't think Amanda could have produced the soccer ball dress and that was the one which really wowed the judges so he got the nod while they also gave a tip of the hat to Amanda. I have no problem with that.

It bothers me that they are bringing her back in next week's episode. Goes to show that Project Runway is no longer about fashion, creativity, or designing.

They've been bringing ousted designers back forever to help on some challenge or other. Back in the day Santino (sp?), Chloe and Daniel, that year's finalists, were told to produce another final look within a day or something but were allowed to choose a helper from the aufed pool. The bring back for next week was already on the table, otherwise everyone wouldn't have been waiting in the wings and if Korina hadn't been on the helper list then there would have been explaining to do.

Does anyone know if the helper designers were the last few eliminated? I didn't notice.

The fact that it came ten seconds after she completely melted down, shredded Char and made a complete and total ass out of herself was just reality gold. The producers must have been giggling and wringing their hands in glee, but she had to be included. And if she really did stomp out, better yet.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3

Korina, Helen, Gretchen, Kenley, Sandro, Vincent, and Ken --all in one place at one time? Pretty sure all that negative energy would trigger the Apocalypse.

Throw Ven into the mix and make sure there is a real woman challenge.

• Love 2

I give Amanda credit for what you said, absolutely. It seemed to me that she and Kini worked well as a team, Kini bowed to her choice of containers and then he, in cooperation with his partner, made it work. Both added to the final results and both gave the other credit where it was due. They showed both personal and professional respect for one another--a nice thing, actually. I don't think Amanda could have produced the soccer ball dress and that was the one which really wowed the judges so he got the nod while they also gave a tip of the hat to Amanda. I have no problem with that.

Amanda picked a really difficult container on the basis of liking a painting in the back. No fabric. Nothing but toys and that silly painting. She made the one shirt she envisioned from the painting (although it bothers me that he yeti's crotch is right under the model's chin). King made the rest of the crap in the container work. Amanda lucked out that a trip to mood was added.

• Love 5

There's a difference between self-confidence and sense of entitlement.

There's a difference between justifying your presence in a competition by defending your work and justifying it by trashing someone else's work.

And there's a difference between saying "I'm good enough to be here" and judging other people's deservedness to be there (which, as a contestant, is not your job).

As distasteful as Korrina's professed attitudes were, she is still in her twenties (an accounting for her behavior, not an excuse) and she clearly has not matured beyond a childish sense of entitlement (which, I believe, is a fear of competition based on low self-esteem). For her to declare that she shouldn't have to compete in the one-hour challenge -- when the whole show is a competition -- is just delusional.

Korrina may indeed be a "better" designer than Char; Char may not "deserve" to have lasted this long; and Korrina may consider her looks "better" than everyone else's -- but none of that matters, not here. What matters are what the judges decide, and their decisions are the informed but ultimately subjective opinions of a certain group of people. If you cannot accept that no competition is a pure meritocracy, don't play. Pick up your marbles and go home.

• Love 9

Okay, LOL at Mary Kay morphing the model from meh to clown car!! Comedy gold!!

I agree on the Kini/Amanda team dynamic. I said in my original post I loved how they took Tim's critiques and huddled and regrouped. Actually, they should have let them both win because they worked so damn well together and came up with a joyous mini collection, but I'm fine with Kini's win because the soccer ball dress was uber.

• Love 2

I've never used Mary Kay products and it's been years since I've seen them in person. I agree that it looks bad onscreen. I hope that's not how the stuff looks off-screen. Otherwise, Mary Kay is in stiff competition with Wet n Wild for being the most garish.

Even the Mary Kay packaging looks bad on screen.  We joke that it looks like the cheap toy makeup you buy for little girls.  

An ugly soul was certainly revealed in all it's "glory" in this episode.  Wow, I couldn't imagine Kornia acting even uglier than she did.  What a horrible human being.  So self-entitled.  Whether you agree with Char being saved/given more chances or not, it does not entitle her (Kornia) to take it out on Char.  Tim Gunn & the judges made those decisions.  First, Kornia was ugly to Amanda, then Sandhya, now Char.  She's just a bitter, mean-girl who can't take personal criticism.  I completely agree with Emily's comments that Korina's negative energy is what did her in.  Instead of focusing on crabbing & complaining about the extra dress, she should have focused on showing she was the designer she believes herself to be.  I hope that her "return" next week is very short & brief, because I don't care to see more of her nasty attitude.

I absolutely love how well Amanda & Kini worked together.  I'm not a fan of Amanda's design esthetic (just not my cup of tea), but I really liked seeing how Kini & Amanda put their heads together & re-grouped after Tim's critiques.  Instead of getting defensive (team Kornia/Emily), they took the time to figure out how to fix it. Way to go, "Psychedelic Yeti" :)

Count me in with the anti-Mary Kay group.  Their make up has always been over-priced and atrocious.  My mother used to buy it in the 70s and I'll be darned if that Mary Kay plug isn't the EXACT same shade of green she used to buy in 1975!!!

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 2

LMAO!  You just wait, a few more years and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw handlebar putting Wet n' Wild on the models.  That would be so hilarious :)

I can almost hear Tim in my head:  "Designers... it's time to take your models down to the Wet 'n Wild studio for hair and makeup."

LOL. That is just so wrong.

• Love 7

"Korina, Helen, Gretchen, Kenley, Sandro, Vincent, and Ken --all in one place at one time? Pretty sure all that negative energy would trigger the Apocalypse."

You're not going to include Ivy and Ven in the League of Super Villians?

• Love 5

oooo! Project Runway: League of Super Villians!!

Let's be more respectful of Handlebar! He's been a makeup artist forever on the show, even with L'Oreal, so I'm blaming Mary Kay solely for the awful makeup. Maybe the fuschia lipcolor is called Pinky Red or some such nonsense. Anyway, I love him and I like that he's still trying to put a positive spin on how lovely the makeup is even though it's Mary Kay.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

When Tim used his save on Char, didn't he babble something about missing her positive energy/attitude/personality? I can't remember him saying much about bringing back a great designer. (yes, besides the obligatory 'oh you have so much more to show us'). That TGS is useless - I hope he didn't take the same approach when he handed out grades that way back when he was a teacher.

Korina ... I understand her anger, but she practically handed the producers the opportunity to go in that direction by being pretty big headed and mouthy from the start of the competition.

I actually liked that the designers could decide what they wanted to make for this challenge, so theoretically everyone could act in their own wheelhouse. With that being said: the button bag did a pretty good job teaming up those with similar POVs.

• Love 3

and how unfair it was that she had to compete against such a peon making an ugly blue dress.

Korina really shit-talked about that blue color during the one-hour sew-off. Didn't she make a moto jacket last week that featured that exact same blue color? The jacket she claimed every.single.designer there wanted to have? Shut up, Korina.

• Love 6

Amanda picked a really difficult container on the basis of liking a painting in the back. No fabric. Nothing but toys and that silly painting. She made the one shirt she envisioned from the painting (although it bothers me that he yeti's crotch is right under the model's chin). King made the rest of the crap in the container work. Amanda lucked out that a trip to mood was added.

Yeah I don't think Kini's win was the worst injustice ever or anything, but usually the "leader"/driver of the aesthetic ship in a team gets the win.  I think the container they picked was actually the best for an unconventional materials challenge, the judges usually don't like it when you use regular fabric and love it when you 'transform' something.  I guess this was sort of a different kind of UM challenge but they still voted the way they usually do: the soccer ball dress was the most transformative.

In the end Kini and Amanda made a great team and I'm very pleased they came out on top.  The Psychedelic Yeti was watching them from above.  I do wish they had continued on the path they were on before Tim came in, but what can you do.

• Love 1

Okay, LOL at Mary Kay morphing the model from meh to clown car!! Comedy gold!!

I agree on the Kini/Amanda team dynamic. I said in my original post I loved how they took Tim's critiques and huddled and regrouped. Actually, they should have let them both win because they worked so damn well together and came up with a joyous mini collection, but I'm fine with Kini's win because the soccer ball dress was uber.

Hey. You might be foreshadowing something with your last comment.

The designers' next challenge will be sponsored by Uber.

Just think of the possibilities . . .

• Love 2

Was Korina really saying all that awful stuff about Char while she was making her second dress with Char sitting right behind her, or was it edited to look that way? If Char really was sitting behind Korina and having to listen to her say all those awful things about her, good for Char for not throwing a pair of scissors at the back of Korina's head. Maybe that's why Char was crying after the judging. It would be really hard to have to listen to someone talking non stop smack about you.

• Love 3

Really?  Why?  Hasn't it been almost half the designers on every season for some years now?  Shouldn't Korina have expected that if she made it to the final six that she'd be a decoy?  This is a question, not snark.  Do they really not know?

Me too, but I still won't be watching Threads.  Goddamned children's talent shows - feh.

Ain't that always the way.

Gretchen, yes, but aw,  Kenley wasn't so bad.    I'd add Sandro and Ken Lawrence and Vincent Libretti instead.

Kenley's voice is like fingernails on a chalk board. And she was whiney and had entitlement issues.

• Love 2

Everything's already been said, but...

I thought it interesting that Christian Siriano was not identified as the PR Season 4 winner.  Maybe he doesn't want people to remember he got his start on a reality show.  And I agree with the poster way, way upthread who was not pleased that his standard for fashion excellence was that "young girls would want to wear it."  I know he's now remembered by most people through a fond fog, but I remember him as being rude and obnoxious and I couldn't stand him in his season and hated that his all-black pants collection won.

I hope that putting Char and Korina together won't be as painful as watching Penny Davidi sabotaging her rival Mary Beth after Penny was eliminated and brought back to "help" on TNFNS, but I suspect it will be more painful. 

I knew something would be up when the actual sewing ended at 47 minutes and they still had 43 minutes to fill.  Sew-off, I thought.  I actually don't mind sew-offs and wish they'd do them more often.  They test raw design skills more than the regular challenges that focus so much on sewing and construction.  If they weren't picking a losing team, why have teams?  Possibly they had anticipated having a losing team but then changed their minds after the runway show.

Everyone has commented on the bad makeup, but I was surprised that the judges made comments about how bad the makeup was and that those comments made it to air.  Way to displease the sponsor. 

• Love 1

If Sandhya had been on Emily and Korina team, the judges would have been climbing over each other to praise her "ethnic" influences and how much randomness was going on. Because with her they bent over backwards to attribute anything unusual about her work to a cultural influence. Because we all remember all those Mylar pinwheels from the Kama sutra, right?

When the fur coat came down and Kini commented that it no longer looked like a teenage prostitute, I thought, no, now it looks like a Russian one instead.

The rag rugs Emily and Korina used as trim made me wonder if they washed any of this stuff before they put it on the models? If not, ew!

Korina needs to get away from the kabuki (Mary Kay?) foundation. She looks 45, not 28.

• Love 2

Everything's already been said, but...

I hope that putting Char and Korina together won't be as painful as watching Penny Davidi sabotaging her rival Mary Beth after Penny was eliminated and brought back to "help" on TNFNS, but I suspect it will be more painful. 

You're killing me, you brought up the P Word. If Korina (if she actually ends up as a helper) acts anything like the P Word did, that may be the end of PR for me.

• Love 1

I'm not saying anything Korina said or did was particularly nice because, well, twasn't; however, I thought the "is it a blue dress?" thing wasn't really about criticizing the blue fabric itself or the dress itself (since she hadn't seen it yet at that point, I don't think?) , but was more insinuating that Char's done a whole bunch of blue dresses this season? I don't know that she did that to the extent that the first thing I think of would be "well of course Char would make a blue dress" but the way Korina said it read that way to me, and looking at Char's portfolio on the PR website, she did do her fair share of blue looks.

Edited by theatremouse

One odd thing, Zac said that Amanda's pink checkered look was "Very Clueless -- Very late 80's."  Clueless is a 1995 movie and I think Zac would know that well...... Have to admit that kind of confused me.  Clueless is like the quintessential 90's fashion movie :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

It cracked me up that Heidi said Korina and Emily had a clear concept. That ridiculous theme was way too complicated ("Our girl is a Peruvian fashion photographer who is traveling to Helsinki to do a street style shoot") and nonsensical.

I agree that the concept was both complicated and nonsensical. For me, though, nothing will ever top off-the-grid Angela from Season 3 and her description of a hideous, tasteless outfit as being for an art school teacher.

Edited by Jordan Baker
  • Love 3

"Korina, Helen, Gretchen, Kenley, Sandro, Vincent, and Ken --all in one place at one time? Pretty sure all that negative energy would trigger the Apocalypse."

You're not going to include Ivy and Ven in the League of Super Villians?

I would pay some serious coin to see Gotham West done up as a villains' lair:

"Meanwhile, at Gotham West..."

Legion_of_Doom_Headquarters.jpg

• Love 2

It was embarrassing to watch Korina lose it big time.   I think it's kind of stupid that they were given help from other designers for the 1 hour challenge.  If Sean hadn't nudged her, it sounded like Char was going to make yet another super-tight hoochie dress, and maybe Korina would have done something simpler if she didn't have Emily there.   And if they're getting help/input from a perhaps better designer, then how does it showcase their individual talent?  I do agree that Char was saved multiple times and has been the recipient of a lot of help, but it is just a game show.  Personally, I'd like it more if reality tv edited around the nastiness and veered away from melodramatic scenes that humiliate and make people look bad, leaving out chunks of redemption.  Assigning Korina as Char's assistant next week (or like, the day after this episode for them) sounds like a cheap producer-driven ploy to milk more drama out of the situation.  Too much toxicity for me...

Personally, I do really like Emily's designs (I'd like to see her collection in the top 3), and some of Korina's too.  I liked their mood fabric sweater, but clearly they were one of the two bottom teams.  

Edited by Glade

It was embarrassing to watch Korina lose it big time.   I think it's kind of stupid that they were given help from other designers for the 1 hour challenge.  If Sean hadn't nudged her, it sounded like Char was going to make yet another super-tight hoochie dress, and maybe Korina would have done something simpler if she didn't have Emily there.   And if they're getting help/input from a perhaps better designer, then how does it showcase their individual talent?  I do agree that Char was saved multiple times and has been the recipient of a lot of help, but it is just a game show.  Personally, I'd like it more if reality tv edited around the nastiness and veered away from melodramatic scenes that humiliate and make people look bad, leaving out chunks of redemption.  Assigning Korina as Char's assistant next week (or like, the day after this episode for them) sounds like a cheap producer-driven ploy to milk more drama out of the situation.  Too much toxicity for me...

Personally, I do really like Emily's designs (I'd like to see her collection in the top 3), and some of Korina's too.  I liked their mood fabric sweater, but clearly they were one of the two bottom teams.  

Korina seemed pretty married to her vision, because it was based off of her anger towards Nina saying that she falls back on a southwestern motif.  So I don't think a think Emily said/didn't say made a difference.  I also think that was somewhat the same for Char.  She automatically grabbed the blue fabric.  She did say short and tight, but the dress she finally came up with was form fitting, just a little longer, so its possible that Char would have had the same dress, just a few inches shorter.  So, I think Sean's input may not have been that great.  I do think that she relied on him for construction elements, but both Korina and Emily can do construction, so if Korina's original vision had been more do-able, she should have been able to execute it very well, considering that the only person on Team Char that can do construction was Sean.   But Korina was so angry and upset with Nina that she chose a complex dress that was hard to execute well in an hour.  But that was a vision she was married to, that was what she wanted to do, and I don't think Emily was going to talk her out of it.

• Love 2

This spoof of Swatch is more of a masterpiece than ANY creation dreamed up, sketched or sewn by Korina.

LJMLe6v.jpg

It bothers me that they are bringing her back in next week's episode. Goes to show that Project Runway is no longer about fashion, creativity, or designing. Another "reality program" going for the sensational, bitchy contestant to draw in viewers. As she storms off the set, will she also take a swipe at the cameraperson, as did  hot-tempered Sandro zL0XDWd.png

From the very beginning the show depended upon "the sensational, bitchy contestant to draw in viewers". Remember season one's Wendy Pepper   http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080722/Project-Runway/wendy-postal_l.jpg .

Fashion isn't fair. Would Korina rather have been in the bottom with Sandyha? Alexander? Hernan? It's not Char's fault that Korina was in the bottom; it's not Char's fault that Korina's second-chance look had so many issues. It's not Char's fault that the judges auf'd her. Whether Char should have been saved or not is irrelevant. Korina wasn't robbed of anything; she lost all by herself. Korina had been getting the villain edit big-time almost from the beginning, but they really ramped it up last night. I finally put two and two together and realized she was going home.

• Love 4

It isn't like I disagree about Korina leaving. And I think Char is both cool and nice and I like her taste in things overall. I think she should be a stylist or something like that. It was nice when she was brought back.

And Korina behaved like a narcissistic brat. She couldn't even defend her work without making the judges' decision her own wish-fulfillment: "but Fashion Week is my dream!". And she went into textbook narcissistic rage once she had to fight for her position. It's just that I feel so off about this episode.

I think Sean is a hack. His real person dress was so sad and Dress Barn. And all of his dresses this week were riffs on that sad mesh and black formal wear from 1999. His coat was kind of fugly, not fabulous. And he lied about what materials he had available. He claimed all he had was the moving blanket in that one container! He had rolls and rolls of fabric.

And Nina! She needs to go. I would rather have Blonde Salad or some high fahion blogger week after week. Nina is so dated and cynical and will favor a dated, cheap looking sad sack if it is black over anything that isn't either NY editor wear or bizarre shit Nina can't understand and therefore thinks is excellent - like Sandhaya's dress. I now always agree with Heidi. And I think the guest judges tend to as well.

There is a market for that Sundance Catalog stuff. I could see both Emily and Korina's unique POV in each look. It didn't look like a clearance page on Nasty Gal. Their models didn't have to walk like shackled convicts. I kind of agree with Korina's initial point. The styling was hugely problematic but I don't feel like that if an offense like the super-weak dress Char produced. There was no design there, no taste, it was badly executed, it wasn't even current. I don't get it. It's like Nina decides which outfit she would most never wear when actually she would never wear any of it!

• Love 2

I think Sean is a hack. His real person dress was so sad and Dress Barn. And all of his dresses this week were riffs on that sad mesh and black formal wear from 1999. His coat was kind of fugly, not fabulous. And he lied about what materials he had available. He claimed all he had was the moving blanket in that one container! He had rolls and rolls of fabric.

I'm glad I'm not alone with Sean. I really don't know what to think of him. He's not a repellent person, but he's just sort of there for me. Sometimes I feel like he's passive aggressive. Maybe I'm misreading him?

I think that it'll likely be Sean and Kini who wind up in the final.

I also fully expect Alexander to win Fan Favorite in the final episode.

• Love 7

I also fully expect Alexander to win Fan Favorite in the final episode.

Do they get some money for winning Fan Favorite?  Is there a prize, maybe a Red Robin gift card?  Bottomless fries?  A free Mary Kay makeover?  Or is it just bragging rights

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 3