Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: The Highest Bidder

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Alexander is STILL the Fan Favorite!?!

I think Fan Favorite is based on the previous episode.  I went to the website and saw that no one can vote for Alexander anymore.  So, there should finally be a new fan favorite next week.

• Love 2

Honestly, is there something in the water in Portland that turns designers into hipster chic supervillains? First Gretchen, then Michelle, now Korina. Yeesh.

It was pretty obvious that the two on the top, and the one on the top, belonged there. I'm not so sure about the bottom. Char's original garments weren't particularly functional or attractive, and I have to agree with Tim, Emily's shoulders were awful. Korina's original outfit wasn't terrible once the awful cape came off. Char's runoff dress was more impactful, but Sean had more to do with that than Char did, JMO. 

I'm still OK with the outcome, though, because Korina put herself everywhere she ended up with her own bad decisions. Choosing a lumpy eyesearing knit to show with upholstery fabric garments. Terrible cape hiding the garment underneath and seventies styling. Really stupid backstory for their "girl". Mouthing off to Nina. Being so ungracious about her competitors that the judges didn't have the option of saying they didn't know there was hostility going on. Going after another designer and not their work. Taking the Heidi Save she was handed on a platter and stomping all over it on the runway by telling the judges they were wrong about her original garment. Knowing her do-over dress was the only thing standing between her and the street and telling the judges it was crap. If there was a list of things to do to get yourself eliminated, she hit every one.

I think Sean brought out the elephant in the living room in his talking head - Korina's not wrong about Char's construction, and her taste is not as sophisticated. On the other hand, Korina was raised in a fashion-forward city and had four years of design school. Char is a self taught designer from the rust belt. I kind of suspect that with half of Korina's advantages Char would be producing far better clothes. Or, at least, not as derivative.

I kind of hope this all ends in someone in a fashion house giving her a chance. I think she deserves it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 12

Korina was a bratty rancid bitch, but she was totally robbed , Char sucks.

Also Korina makes better tv, so not sure why the show got rid of her now and not at the finale. Kini and Sean are ZzzzzzZ.

• Love 5

Them's the rules they made up on the fly when they couldn't justify not sending Char home? 

They did the same thing a couple of years ago when the judges couldn't decide whether to send Uli or Joshua home. So there's precedent; they didn't just make it up last night.

The judges have already sent Char home once -- and I don't think they conspired with Tim to have him use his save on her -- so I think they would have done it again. I also wonder if Korina might have been kept if she'd shown a little less attitude on the runway in the first place. Nina does not like it when designers argue with her.

All of that aside, Korina has no excuse for the way she treated Char. Even if you think the producers are pulling strings to keep Char, Char isn't doing anything wrong. What was she supposed to do, turn down the save when Tim offered it? Resign from the competition to keep Korina in? If Korina has a legitimate complaint -- and I don't consider her a huge talent (I would have eliminated her for that green dress in episode 5) -- her beef isn't with Char, it's with Tim and the producers. So acting like a brat to Char doesn't do anything other than display the kind of person Korina is.

• Love 19

Christian! What a sight for sore eyes. And he has a new show? I'm so there.

Also, he and Kini need to have a sew-off. :)

Korina's every retort was on point, despite her nasty attitude. Char--and her benefactor Tim--can both go away AFAIC. The artificial that-was-the-right-decision looks on the designers' faces when Char said she was safe was telling.

I love that I'm-So-Not-Old-Fashioned Nina got smacked down by EVERYONE else on the judging panel in front of all the designers. Nina, the more you protest, the more attention you bring to your aging complex.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 7

Kini is the happiest and most easy going designer this show has seen.  He didn't want to buy that storage unit, he saw there was not much in there.  He never complained as they struggled to make what turned out to be an unconventional material challenge as the others worked with fabric.  Though I liked his soccer ball dress I thought the other two looks were even more fabulous.  

Korina walks out but  I expect to see her back (contract) after she settles down.  Too bad Char did not see this coming when she chose to redo one of her looks. Sean must have been the last button in the bag to get Sandhya's pink disaster.  

So nice to see Christian back!  I loved this recent look of his. 

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2014/08/26/sarah-hyland-christian-siriano-2014-emmy-awards/

I like all the judges and Nina is my favorite.  I love her edges!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

They did the same thing a couple of years ago when the judges couldn't decide whether to send Uli or Joshua home. So there's precedent; they didn't just make it up last night.

They did the same thing with the Belk's challenge last season. The dress Dom won with was her second dress.

• Love 2

Good for you Korina....toxic and bitter till the very end.  

Good for Char for sticking up for herself, I may not agree with the TG save, but TG brought her back and those are the rules so Korina and her joker face can go suck it.

• Love 12

Char really does owe her continued presence on the show to others-Tim Gunn (twice) and Sean.  When they went back into the work room for the 'sew off', Char stated that she wanted to do a form fitting short dress; Sean basically said to her 'really? after the judges criticized the short form fitting dress you just made...???'.  That's when the design shifted.  When the judges asked about certain elements on her dress, she had to reply that Sean had done them (i.e. the hem).  I can't disagree with Sean's reasoning though that Char would be an easier off later in the competition.

Having said all that, I am glad that Korina is gone.  And, I really did enjoy Amanda and Kini working together.

• Love 11

While I don't think Emily will make it to the end, I like her personality and her comments about Korina were spot on. I'm glad that one of the designers said what I've been thinking since the first episode.

I appreciated her comments about Korina's bitchery.  And she was right, I think Korina's preoccupation with being a bitch took her focus away from making a good dress for the one hour challenge.  First, she assumed that she was such a superior designer that anything she sewed and put down the runway would trump Char's.  Second, she chose some complex design (16 piece pattern) in response to her anger at nina calling her out for using the southwestern motif.  She also chose black and white in a strange fabric for that same reason.  Fourth, if she was trying to do a complex pattern in an hour, all of her attention needed to be focused on what she was doing, not on how unfair it was and how she was so much better than Char.  All her negative energy ended up bringing her down.

Yay! I'm so happy they ended up liking Kini and Amanda's collection. He is my favorite to win. Honestly, he's been my favorite almost since the beginning.

Yes, Korina is mean. But she's also kind of right. Char didn't deserve to stay. She hasn't produced anything that great. You can't just eliminate people because they're jerks. Shut it, Emily. It's not like this is Face Off. You didn't want to help her because of the things she was saying? Even if I don't like her I can acknowledge that she's a better designer than Char.

Production's back to it's old tricks stirring up drama next week. Oh, Korina and Char just happen to be on the same team, huh?

The only reason Char stayed was because of the Tim Gunn save.  Char didn't make that decision, Tim Gunn did.  If Korina had a problem with that decision, the person to take it up with and be mad at is Tim Gunn, not Char.  Or be mad at the producers for allowing a Tim Gunn save.  But don't take it out on the one person who had the least say in saving Char.....which is Char.

I wouldn't want to help Korina either, Emily was already safe, why should she want to help some entitled bitch who is whining?  And Emily still helped her.

I have watched this show almost from its beginning, and I have never been happier to see a designer escape elimination.  There is so much more to being successful than having raw talent.  Grace under pressure, respect for others, and civility are every bit as important.  

Char accepted the added challenge without complaint, collaborated nicely with her partner, and produced a stunning garment.  She was made of win tonight.  I would hire her in a heartbeat.

I really liked Char's attitude, especially in light of the fact that she has a hard time making something even when they have a day or two.  So, she had to have already felt pretty defeated knowing that she was supposed to design something in an hour, but she still kept her head up, kept a positive attitude and tried her best.  It would have been just as easy for her to dissolve into self pity seeing as how Korina made those comments on the runway.

The award for Most Entitled Reality Show personality, 2014:  Frankie J Grande or Korina Emmerich.  Discuss.

I stopped watching BB at some point, so for me, it would have to go to Korina.  Apparently she should be going to fashion week, because she really wants to, and apparently what she really wants trumps the fact that everyone else also really wants to go to fashion week.  Commence eye roll.

I cringe from second hand embarrassment whenever the designers start talking about their "girl" and all the zany situations they are dressing her for. And I was fully prepared to kick in my tv if Amanda or Kini said the phrase "psychedelic yeti" one more time.

Ugh, I hate that too.  The "girl" is always going someplace super exotic, doing something like 4 people in the world do.  The girl in the "real world" is probably going to go to a desk job for 8 hours, come home, watch project runway while eating a little ben and jerrys, maybe read a bit, check facebook and then go to bed.  Where is her 3 outfit look?

I'm sure Korina will take to social media to assure the world that she & Char are actually the best of friends....Just like she is with Sandhya....

Yes, and how dare we "mindless sheep" believe that any of the mean things she said straight to Char's face are evidence of the fact that she is a bitch or a brat.  Don't we realize that even when she says something mean to someone's face that we should figure out that its not real.  

WOW. And I thought it would be Emily going home for dressing her model like a chair. But so glad she survived. I

OKAY, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Emily's look stank.  I totally thought it looked Sponge Bob Squarepants.  I'm all about a strong shoulder (not on me, I have broad shoulders) but that shit looked like a couch.  I totally agreed with Tim.

I just can't believe they're doing this next week. I'd walk out in a cocaine heartbeat with my middle finger in the air. They really do treat these people like emotional hamsters in a cage.

LMAO....but seriously, if I were Korina I would simply want the chance to redeem myself.  I mean, I know I've behaved like a brat sometimes in life and if I was handed a do-over....even like 5 minutes later, I would have taken it.  To me, this is Korina's chance at a "do-over" for the shitty behavior she displayed this episode.

Heidi ruined my illusions of an anonymous runway when she referenced Korina's expression.  If she can see it, she can see their reactions- and the designers always have big reactions- so she knows whose design is whose.  

I think the eye rolling from Korina came when their "one hour challenge" dresses walked the runway.  I don't think that runway was a blind runway.

• Love 9

Yes, Korina was a terror, but mostly I'm surprised at how she played right into the producers' hands. Good grief people, you've probably watched multiple seasons of this show. You know it's all about producer fuckery and last-minute rule changes. No one goes onto a reality competition for fair. It kinda shocked me that she didn't have the wherewithal to look past her seething rage at Char for ONE hour and make a dress that didn't suck. I do kinda agree that Char is probably the weakest one there, but shouldn't that have given Korina even more incentive to make something in those 60 minutes that could have easily sent Char packing?

I agree with a previous poster who said the only time they might respect Korina is in the next episode when, it appears, she just says fuck PR and bolts. Gosh, the definition of insanity is sticking around expecting the PR producers to play fair, so finally, at long last, the unhappy witch finally takes off on her broomstick and high-tails it outta there. Blessed be! 

• Love 10

What an odd episode.   

Amanda and Kini:   Kini deserved the win.  I really thought that Amanda had screwed him over royally with her attraction to the neon yeti poster.  The woman is a stone cold idiot.   The pieces in their mini collection that the judges LOVED were Kini's.  Amanda's graphic mid-drift top was cute but relied entirely on the pattern.  It was a trite design, that shape has been over done in recent years.   Her skinny pink pants and mid-drift top were ok, again relying on the patterns and having no real interest in the shape.  The judges were right.  The pink outfit was improved by covering it in part with Kini's fur coat.  The soccer ball dress was amazing and shouldn't have been covered.  

Sean and Char:   I don't get the love for Sean's blanket jacket.  The front was blah, it looked like something a worker in an industrial ice house or freezer would wear.  The back was better but still only sort of meh for me.  His long gown was a frickin disaster.  Char's color inset was the best thing about that dress.  Char's short dress was a booty call outfit.  The jacket looked like it was a Members Only disco special.  The mesh was terrible on both the long and short dresses.  Didn't Sean place the mesh on the short dress?  She was bad, but he was right there along with her.

Emily and Korina:  What a frickin hot mess.   Korina threw the southwestern kitchen sink at her outfits, then piled on accessories.  Terrible.   I don't get the praise for Emily's seat cushion vest, either.  I'm right there with Tim, those shoulder pads were butt ugly.  That said, Emily's butt ugly outfit was better than anything Korina did.  The colored chunky sweater was seriously ugly.  Why pick those horrible colors?  It looked like a bad 70's Afghan your crazy aunt would make with scrap yarn.  The leather-like leggings were ok, but you can buy those in K-Mart.  I think Kim Kardashian's toddler was wearing a pair last week, which tells you how far past the sell by date those leggings are.  Korina's primary outfit was hideous.  The judges were right.  That cape was terrible.  The skirt under it could be bought at boutiques at any western ski resort, and has been on sale for decades.  The top was basic.  Whatever.   Bad accessorizing, as I mentioned, didn't help.   Korina deserved to go home for hideous taste alone.

The one hour competition:

Char:  A gorgeous dress.  Not innovative, but it was a one hour challenge.  She picked the right material and used her assistant in the best way possible.

Korina:  Sean was right.  All that hate and whining did come out in the dress.  The idea of a color blocked dress could be cute, but that would be a lot of sewing for an hour.  She made very bad decisions in part because she was complaining and wasting time, but also in part because she's a highly limited designer.  Knock her out of her southwestern-y comfort zone and she's lost.  Korina was the right person to go home.   She seriously showed her a$% on the way out the door, too.  Mean spirited, lacks any self awareness at all, a huge ego that prevented her from even considering that she might lose PR.  Buh bye, Korina.  You're not that great of a designer and you made your self look horrible on national television.  No class at all.

Edited to point out that yes, Alexander DID win fan favorite AGAIN even after he's auffed.  He owes his grandmother, siblings, friends, everyone who has been tweeting a massive thank you and maybe a nice dinner out.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 5

Production's back to it's old tricks stirring up drama next week. Oh, Korina and Char just happen to be on the same team, huh?

How on God's green earth does THAT happen?  Tim gets another save?  Korina threatens to sue?  Korina has incriminating photos of Heidi (maybe of her wearing ratty sweats on the way to the grocery store and her hair in a scrunchie)?

• Love 1

I gave up caring about anything in this season episodes ago, so watching that raging bitch - and her little model sidekick (shut up, clothes hanger) - losing to Char was perfectly okay by me. They all suck for their own reasons. Hers sent her packing this week.

• Love 4

How on God's green earth does THAT happen?  Tim gets another save?  Korina threatens to sue?  Korina has incriminating photos of Heidi (maybe of her wearing ratty sweats on the way to the grocery store and her hair in a scrunchie)?

Since Sandhya was standing by them in the workroom, I'm going to guess each of the remaining designers gets the assistance of a past designer for something. 

My take on this episode.

I had a big proble with Korina from the very beginning.  First when she went after Amanda and was angry she came back into the competition and even told her to her face she couldn't stand her.  Second when she was always making nasty snide remarks about Sandya (sp?) and now Char.  Yes, Char cannot sew to save the farm but neither could Coco Chanel.  Char may not always be able to execute but she usually has a good eye for what works and she LISTENS.

Korina well, just only hears her own self hype and nothing else.  Tonight, I knew immediatly that she was going home because they focused on her attitude.  She did herself no favors mouthing back at the judges or throwing Char and Sean under the bus (still cannot understand why Alexander was the fan favorite this episode).  and thin Korina's outburst and her attack on Char after she was eliminated.  Then it WASN'T about CHAR?

It reaked of bullcrap that Char was paired with Korina next week.  That was the producers wringing out every tiny drop of drama just to entertain.  I am rightly pissed about that but here is my take on the designs

Char/Sean - They were rather predestrian but very very cohesive. However some of their bad choices came from Sean, including that dress Char made and the jacket.  He was helping her with it all the way.  He just should have let her come up with something and it probably would have been the 1 hr dress she did that to me was the best outfit of the night.  Some of their good choices came from Char with the Blue panel back on the gown and insisting that he lower the opaque hem on the sheer dress so nothing intimate shows.  They actually complemented each other. 

What got her the save and keeps her on is that she actually listens to criticism and makes the necessary changes.

Kini and Amanda's outfits were fun and they used their limited materials wisely.  I was not too keen on their Mode look and none of their outfits were very cohesive.  I did just love Kini's soccerball dress a lot

Korina and Emily's outfits were neither cohesive and that outfit Korina came up with, although better than i expected it to be, was still very bad and WAAYYY to much going on.  She was so sure she was going to get a third win for this that she was not at all prepared for the criticism she received on the catwalk.  But to lash out at Char and make the obviously nasty comments that Char did not deserve to be there was just over the line.

I agreed with Kini's win and the outfits I liked were Kini's dress, Amanda's black tablecloth skirt, Emily's sweater and pants pairing and Char/Sean's gown with the blue panel in the back.

• Love 4

I watch Project Runway online, so the whole business of driving a Lexus and picking out items from a flea market was not there. Instead they bid on items in storage boxes, so I assume they are bidding on items they already picked out in the alternative universe of picking out items from a flea market. It makes no sense to me that they have two different versions.  In the beginning of this particular episode, Korina didn't come off, to me, much different than the others in wanting to go to fashion week, in wanting to defend her designs, in not being flattering to the other designers though she is more blunt to people's faces (being blunt is something she takes pride in; I think she's too immature to realize there are times to pull back).  She was right about Sean's impossible to walk in dress (and the judges were equally disparaging of that).  She's also right that she put in more work in her original dress than Char did.  I'm not defending Korina. She clearly had a melt down at the end, and let her anger take over (been there, done that, always a mistake)....the whole business of making a dress in an hour is pretty stupid and she snapped under pressure.  It is obvious that she holds grudges and that is a corrosive personality trait (not relevant personal note: my mother was like that and she was not a happy person to the end of her days).  It is clear to me that Korina has a lot of passion but she has a lot of interpersonal skills to learn.  Maybe she'll take advantage of this experience as a learning experience (doubtful, but possible).  Of course Char is the more appealing of the two in the bottom; there is no arguing that.  What she lacks in sewing skills, she makes up for in maturity of approach.  Char didn't let her emotions get in the way of her design, she stayed focused on the task instead of getting caught up in resentment, and she had the advantage of having Sean's help.  It is a complete and awful set up that it just "happens" that the dismissed designers brought back to help the remaining designers would result in Char being matched up with Korina.   Korina may be good for creating a lot of drama in the workroom, but the producers of this show are a soulless group for purposefully pushing an escalation of negative emotions.  Oh well.  My expectations went downhill with "Under the Gunn" and this season hasn't done much to change things.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 3

I never thought I'd be Team Nina but I loved her handing Korina her ass on the runway. It was deserved after all the snide comments and eye rolls.

Kudos to Emily for recognizing the stank attitude from Korina and her model as they were working on the final dress.

• Love 12

These "design-testants" know the deal when they sign the contract and surely they've seen previous seasons. The "Tim Gunn Save" isn't a new concept. If you don't like how it works or fear that you might be negatively impacted by it, don't do the show.

Char hasn't been interesting design-wise all season, but I'm not sorry about seeing Korina go.

I'm sure we'll see Korina in a future season or in the All-Star cast. The producers won't let that drama goldmine go by without getting more from it.

• Love 7

Since Sandhya was standing by them in the workroom, I'm going to guess each of the remaining designers gets the assistance of a past designer for something. 

Oh, thank goodness.  I was worried there was going to be more judging shenanigans.

I agreed with Kini's win and the outfits I liked were Kini's dress, Amanda's black tablecloth skirt, Emily's sweater and pants pairing and Char/Sean's gown with the blue panel in the back.

Kini made the black tablecloth skirt that went with Amanda's yeti top.

I just can't believe they're doing this next week. I'd walk out in a cocaine heartbeat with my middle finger in the air. They really do treat these people like emotional hamsters in a cage.

That particular twist has the stench of Bunim-Murray, in my mind. Really, the unfortunate mix of power is killing this franchise.

• Love 2

I like the twists they put into this competition.  The 60 minute correction or new garment and having assistants from the booted all add interest.  

This is one of my favorite shows and the only thing I don't like is the one day time limit on many challenges. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I give the designers some leeway for what they say in their talking heads, since I assume they are led by producers with their questions to criticize the other designers' work. But Korina's behavior in the green room after she was eliminated was so rude and insulting to Char, I just sat there watching in shock. Unreal.

• Love 9

If Korina really thinks she's so much more talented than Char, she should have been happy that Tim "wasted" his save on Char. I thought about this when Sean made his joke about keeping Char around. If I'm in a competition, I'd be happy that a weaker competitor I thought I could beat was still around.

I do think Korina could have won if she'd gone into that final challenge with a better attitude.

It may have been the editing, but it sure looked like Nina couldn't wait to put Korina in her place. I don't understand the shitty attitude on the runway. Is Korina so clueless that she doesn't understand not to piss off the judges?

Edited by teebax
  • Love 4

Never liked Korina from the get-go and I'm glad she was kicked out.  However, we all know her shitty behavior and smug superiority has sealed a spot for her on "All Stars" or a return to the runway a la Amanda.  I can't wait for her to be the one next season's Mean Girl picks on because "she doesn't belong here!  She had her chance!".  If she starts up her super bitch talk next week when partnered with Char I really hope we see other designers give her a smack down...to her FACE and not just in TH's.  And get over the damn "Save" already.  It was part of the rules from Day 1. Tim didn't pull it out of thin air.  Lord knows if he had saved Korina instead, it would have been extolled by Korina as the right thing to do, completely justified, everyone knows she deserves to be there, on and on...

I agree with Amanda's critique of Emily/Korina's collection...waayyy too much "look".  Edit Edit Edit!  Doesn't Tim say to use the Product Placement of the Season Wall "thoughtfully"?  I also agree with Nina that the cape/hat ensemble was a 70's throwback.  I think my mom had that pattern w/ the same "Annie Hall" looking model- cape, hat, boots.  Only difference is the pattern showed the model wearing corduroy knickers (remember those?)

Emily's couch cushion thing had me thinking of "Chairy" from Pee Wee's Playhouse.  It looked like a chair cushion, not shoulder pads.  I didn't think the source material was transformed enough.

I think Sean and Emily showed a lot of grace and maturity.  I don't even mind Sean's little dig about being OK to help Char move forward because she'll be easy pickings in the end.  It's a contest and players need to use strategy to win.

• Love 5

I agree with Kini's win this week.  I agree with Korina's elimination based on that one-hour challenge.

When Korina was eliminated, I wanted to break out in song - "ding, dong, the witch is dead".  She has got to be one of the most self-centered, self-deluded designers ever to appear on PR. 

I haven't been a fan of Char's designs and think she's lucky to be still competing, but I commend her for acting respectful and professional in front of the judges, and holding back her tearful breakdown until she was back in the designers' room.  In contrast, Korina was disrespectful and unprofessional in front of the judges, rolling her eyes and crying because oh, it's so unfair that she had to do another challenge against a designer who's so inferior to her!  She spent that one-hour challenge being resentful and angry that the judges didn't just recognize how much better she was than Char and eliminate Char straightaway.

I'm rooting for either Sean or Kini to win.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10

I remember Annie Hall wearing tailored pantsuits with men's ties and hats. 

Korina may be back. These people live in a strange, strange world. Angela Sum is over on twitter posting in support of Korina, and in the course of it she tweeted some inside scoop someone from Under the Gunn apparently gave her about Natalia being "an actress" who "stirred up trouble." So, a) they're still serving that kool aid, and b) Angela (who knows first hand about being portrayed as an emotionally unstable incompetent) drank enough of it to repeat anonymous trash talk publicly, and c) there's some kind of group psychosis going on over there.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I just rewatched this again, because A, I missed so much of it while dicking around with the airlines on the phone and two, there's nothing on teevee today and it's cold and windy here.

What is this about 2 different versions of the show? Driving around the city and going to flea markets?

Also, Day2day, I love your posts, especially the Swatch related ones.

This show, y'all. It's jumped the shark so hard that we cannot even SEE Fonzie in the rearview mirror. I think there has been so much producer manipulation from the off, that it's not even remotely funny.

At this point, and after this week's show, I'm rooting for Kini or Amanda. Seriously. I think Kini has some very specific talents and I'm still furious with idiot Sean for saying he is only a seamstress with no design ideas. I'd like to see Sean make a cocktail dress out of soccer ball corpses. That dress was divine, while IMHO, Sean's packing blanket coat? Looked like a packing blanket with lampshades in the back.

Char can go any time. I cannot stand to listen to her anymore. I still don't hate her, but she's one of those PR contestants that we have all bitched about who has gotten way farther than she should have. I don't like Sean, but no way would she have beaten The Joker last night if Sean hadn't steered her away from short and tight again.

I'm glad Korina is gone and her total fall from grace was an awesome sight to behold. She disintegrated on camera. She spent her entire one hour chance bitching about how unfair it was she even had to do the challenge. While I do agree with her that she probably is a more talented designer than Char (and let's face it, that's not saying much with this cast, except for Kini), her disgusting attitude made me want her off my screen last week. And I don't even care that she wasn't "respectful" to Nina... Nina was wrong when she said the four times thing and Nina needs to take a break from the show or leave, so I'm fine with Korina mouthing off to her.

One last note: I thought it was VERY unprofessional of Heidi to feed off Sean's antics when Korina was having her nervous breakdown on the runway. Not that I care about Korina's nervous breakdown, but Heidi is the host and pro se Head Judge and she should have been quiet, rather than saying dang and dang and snapping her fingers.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

What is this about 2 different versions of the show? Driving around the city and going to flea markets?

The episode description has caused some confusion.

The remaining designers must drive to search for their vintage and unique materials in flea markets, garage sales and storage facilities.

They didn't drive anywhere and the materials were all in the storage containers.

• Love 3

I never understood the Korina hate until tonight. Wow she was obnoxious, entitled and rude.

That said char is over her head and ought to leave. But at least she styled her model in the blue dress.

Also, when koruna was asked why she should stay... What ins it with designers? The question is not how much would this mean to you. It's why you deserve to stay. Persuade the judges. How do you not know that?

Eta : Tim was right about the cushion... And I'm glad he admitted it. You know what gave it away? Piping! When have you ever seen piping on clothing?

Chars aesthetic IS hoochie.

While the judges have seen mesh dresses everywhere, I haven't... And I'm in NYC. Odd.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 4

I in the course of it she tweeted some inside scoop someone from Under the Gunn apparently gave her about Natalia being "an actress" who "stirred up trouble." So, a) they're still serving that kool aid, and b) Angela (who knows first hand about being portrayed as an emotionally unstable incompetent) drank enough of it to repeat anonymous trash talk publicly, and c) there's some kind of group psychosis going on over there.

Because anyone who suffered through UTG would believe some anonymous source tied to that disaster...

Shut up, oh special-est of special snowflakes, unless you were there - and you weren't.

Totally can see C. Anyone with eyes or ears can see that - and the epic lack of talent to back up all of the big talk this season.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3

Korina has a rancid attitude but I do think Char is being given too much credit. I can't "commend her" for staying "professional" and all that in her place of undeserved privilege. It's easy to be classy and cool when you're the one being propped up.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 10

Not that I care about Korina's nervous breakdown, but Heidi is the host and pro se Head Judge and she should have been quiet, rather than saying dang and dang and snapping her fingers.

No way!  I love it when the judges get cheeky.  You keep on going Heidi.  This is TV, I want to be entertained!  

• Love 6

Exactly. And she's watched Char get saved not once (complete with a near-sobbing Tim announcing it was retroactive, after his "emotional" night of regret), not twice (for the unzipped peplum hot pants horror show), but now three times. It's blatantly obvious as a viewer that the producers and Tim are doing back-flips to keep Char in the running. If I were there, watching this bull unfold before my eyes - on top of having very little sleep, being subjected to ridiculously convoluted challenges, with very little turnaround time for them - I'd be livid too.

Hmm, I have thought that "tie breakers" in past seasons were designed to keep in favored designers, but I actually thought Korina and Emily's collection was HORRIBLE.  If the tie breaker was designed to keep someone in, I thought it was Korina.  I can't imagine who would want to wear that, but I liked the design and idea of Char and her partner's collection, even if the models couldn't walk.  With alterations, they would have been great to me, but there is nothing that could have been done to Korina's collection to make me like it.  I was totally with Nina in her disgust of the designs.  

• Love 7

Korina has a rancid attitude but I do think Char is being given too much credit. I can't "commend her" for staying "professional" and all that in her place of undeserved privilege. It's easy to be classy and cool when you're the one being propped up.

I just think that the difference between Korina and Char is being exaggerated. Korina is not all that. She's turned out some (IMO) terrible designs. I would argue that the judges aufing Kristine and Mitchell instead of Korina in episode 5 was at least as egregious as Tim Gunn using his save on Char. So it's not obvious to me that Char is being propped up at the expense of much more talented designers. 

• Love 14

Korina's every retort was on point, despite her nasty attitude. Char (and her benefactor Tim) can both go away AFAIC. The artificial that-was-the-right-decision looks on the designers' faces when Char said she was safe was telling.

I disagree. Yes, Tim seems to be a big fan of Char's and she has been a benefited from it. But, they've all (with the exception of Kini) been on the receiving end of some kind of save or another:

• Amanda  - Got the ultimate second chance to compete by being brought back on the show. IIRC she lucked out with at least one of her silly designs.
  • Sean - How many times was he on the bottom (at least 3?) and could have easily gone home. But, the judges believed in him and kept giving him another chance.
  • Emily - Could have been kicked off for the American Girl design as well as the Avant Garde challenge.
  • Korina -  Made an ugly ass green dress, and was given a 2nd chance to fix it and made it even uglier. But, she stayed in the competition anyway.
  • Even Alexander (who last week complained that he was mad at Char over zippergate) was lucky he lasted as long as he did with his very mediocre and often times craptastic designs. How many times was he in the bottom before the judges finally booted his ass.

Every booted contestant who lost to the remaining designers can scream they were robbed. That's the nature of a competition that is so subjective.  I believe Char eventual boot is coming. And the final 3 will be Kini, Sean and Amanda.

Korina's tantrum was more about arrogance and entitlement and than it was about unfairness. She was so focused on declaring Char unworthy to hang with the big dogs that she didn't recognize her own design flaws. That cape was awful ... and attempting such a complicated dress in one hour was ridiculous!

Even with zippergate and Char's questionable sewing skills, Korina and Alexander would have never been in the position to lose to her, had their own designs been on point. 

• Love 15

I wonder how bad Korina 's rant really was after the 2nd runway during judging.  I think it was much worse than we were shown based on the fact that the jduges deliberations were so crystal clear in who they were keeping - they usually try to edit it to be more ambiguous, and on how badly Char broke down when she left the runway - if Korina was just bitching back at the judges I don't think Char would have reacted as much.

• Love 8

On re-watching, not only did I love Kini's and Amanda's designs, I also was struck with how gracious to and about each other they both were the whole way through.

Emily wins classiest act of the night for her comments on Korina's attitude, yet still going ahead and doing her best to help her.  Kini for the win, and even though her aesthetic is not my favorite, I'd be okay with an Amanda win, too.  

Emily was the one who made the comment that Korina's negative energy was going to show in her garment, and she was 100% correct.  

• Love 9

Right from the start I thought they were telegraphing Korina's ousting when the very first TH of the show was her saying, "I'm feeling pretty confident!" I didn't think we'd be getting that lucky, but shockingly enough, we did.

The most hilarious -- and telling -- part of the episode for me was Korina sitting in the designer's lounge saying, "Did anyone see this coming? Did anyone think that this is what would happen today?" Clearly, this is someone so narcissistic and enamored with herself that she just can't believe everyone else isn't as well. 

She did it to herself. She made no secret of thinking that the one hour challenge was beneath her, and that it was a travesty of epic proportions that she, the superior designer, was being expected to compete against the likes of Char, who to hear Korina tell it has been somehow skating by all season making garments made out of old bedspreads and held together with safety pins and duct tape. All she could focus on was the alleged unfairness of the situation, and it did her in. Emily got it exactly right when she said Kornia's negativity and bitterness was going to show in her garment. 

Truth be told, Char probably is the weakest designer remaining when it comes to sewing skills. But the way she handled herself during the one hour challenge proved that she excels in many other respects. She was smart enough to pick a jersey fabric that was easy to work with. She was smart enough to use her assistant and listen to his input and advice. She was able to put the WTF-ness of the one-hour challenge aside and just focus on doing what needed to be done.

The right person was ousted. Korina won 2 challenges, but let's not forget she was in the bottom at least one other time with that hideous green gown -- that she basically made for the SECOND time. Heidi hated what she had and Korina had the opportunity to start over, and trotted off to Mood and bought more fabric in the exact same color. That to me was quite telling too -- she just couldn't believe Heidi wasn't falling all over herself gushing over what she'd done, and instead of regrouping she did the same thing again. She didn't have enough sense to come up with another approach, she just had to try and ram that hideous gown down everyone's throats. Korina is unable to be receptive to constructive criticism, and that's an attitude that won't get you very far in the fashion industry -- or any other industry for that matter.

And it looks like next week's episode (and yeah, I call BS on the pairing of Char and Korina too) will just further cement what I already think of Korina. Presumably the next challenge happened a day or 2 later -- more than enough time for Korina to pull her head out of her ass and cool down and get a hold of her emotions. But no, looks like she is still wrapped up in the alleged injustice of being eliminated from the show. That is a petty, mean, nasty person.

• Love 6

When Korina was giving all her background bio in a talking head at the top of the episode, I thought to myself, "That's usually the first sign of who's being eliminated… but could I really hope for that?" And sure enough, I was right! Yay! And as others have mentioned, while the talking head interviews are clearly producer-prompted, all the bile she spewed on the runway "At least I made something you can walk in" and in the lounge "It's not about YOU, Char" were horrifyingly genuine.

Korina and Emily DID have the worst looks on the runway this week. No, Sean and Char's weren't great, but at least they were cohesive and had some style to them, as minimalist as it was. (And Char gets bonus points for adding that blue panel to the back of Sean's dress, which was the best thing about it) And while someone mentioned that without the cape/poncho, Korina's outfit wasn't bad… no, it was BAD. That ugly green colored top that looked like plastic or rubber? Ill fitting and terrible. And the one-hour dresses were no contest. The hate really showed through on Korina's hot mess, while Sean helped Char make probably the best dress she's made all season.

And while yes, Korina has made better outfits than Char, Char has the better attitude. And why be bitter about who Tim used the save on? There are only a few talented designers this season, so basically anyone Tim used it on wasn't going to be worthy of being saved.

Oh, but the producer manipulation for next week's episode, pairing Korina and Char? Yeah, that's a bit much, even for me. No wonder she storms out in a huff.

Edited by Wootini
  • Love 5

The most hilarious -- and telling -- part of the episode for me was Korina sitting in the designer's lounge saying, "Did anyone see this coming? Did anyone think that this is what would happen today?" Clearly, this is someone so narcissistic and enamored with herself that she just can't believe everyone else isn't as well. 

This.  Also, her comment, stated twice!, that all she had to do was send anything down the runway and she'd be fine.

• Love 9

aquarian, I agree...

Either Char is the biggest drama queen we've ever seen or things were edited out because they were so bad.

Think about that... Korina was so hateful on the runway that some of it was possibly edited out by Bunim/Murray!!!

It must have been bad. Or not. I guess we'll never know.

• Love 5

Happy to see Korinna go. Elated, actually.

When she told Char "it's not about you," I thought that she meant "you staying post-save isn't about your talents, it's about producer shenanigans."

She did it to herself. She made no secret of thinking that the one hour challenge was beneath her, and that it was a travesty of epic proportions that she, the superior designer, was being expected to compete against the likes of Char, who to hear Korina tell it has been somehow skating by all season making garments made out of old bedspreads and held together with safety pins and duct tape. All she could focus on was the alleged unfairness of the situation, and it did her in. Emily got it exactly right when she said Kornia's negativity and bitterness was going to show in her garment. 

This!  Korina has been trying to break down and belittle different designers all season:  she went after Sandhya but Sandhya didn't break, then she turned to Amanda but Amanda stayed strong, and her last target was Char but Char also stood firm, but you know who did fall apart during the competition and who proved that the couldn't keep up?  Korina--Korina who convinced herself that she was better than everyone else, broke down like the little bitch she is.  

She was ungracious to an embarrassing degree and I hope she's ashamed of how she behaved to not only a fellow competitor but a human being.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 19

It all looked like potholders and old afghans and I bet it smelled like Patchouli.

Thanks for the morning laugh!

I wonder how bad Korina 's rant really was after the 2nd runway during judging.  I think it was much worse than we were shown based on the fact that the jduges deliberations were so crystal clear in who they were keeping - they usually try to edit it to be more ambiguous, and on how badly Char broke down when she left the runway - if Korina was just bitching back at the judges I don't think Char would have reacted as much.

I think that's true.  Char could barely talk when she was in the room with the other designers.  Korina must have been truly horrible to her.  

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 12

She was ungracious to an embarrassing degree and I hope she's ashamed of hos she behaved to not only a fellow competitor but a human being.

That would require a minimal level of self-awareness, which she clearly lacks at this point in her life. Forgivable in an 18-year-old. 28, not so much.

• Love 8
And while someone mentioned that without the cape/poncho, Korina's outfit wasn't bad… no, it was BAD. That ugly green colored top that looked like plastic or rubber?

And that top was supposed to be her SHOWSTOPPER!!! The piece that was going to give her the edge if it came down to a tie in the winner's circle. It was her Ace in the Hole!!! Heh! (sigh) Poor Korina.

• Love 3