Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: The Highest Bidder

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

The website advertises the costumes as "sexy," not "slutty," but since Angela's slutty clown outfit was brought up, I changed the descriptions. They're more ridiculous than anything else. I could say the same about some of the PR outfits. The main issue I had with Korina's this week was there were so many pieces that the model looked like a pile of laundry. Edit, people!

• Love 3

...I offer you slutty watermelon.

It's like they're reading my mind! I know if I want to dress up as something slutty and provocative, the first thing I think of is a watermelon.

The main issue I had with Korina's this week was there were so many pieces that the model looked like a pile of laundry. Edit, people!

ITA. If they paired it with simple leggings and heels, the outfits would look a hundred times better. Those fucking hats were the final nails on the coffin.

Edited by Tony
  • Love 2

I've bought from the Peruvian Connection!  Their sweaters are gorgeous.  Going by what the judges were saying about the cape fabrics, Korina's pieces weren't made of the kind of quality materials that Peruvian Connection uses.  And while we agree that the outfit looked Peruvian, Korina kept saying that her aesthetic is Southwestern, no?

As far as I remember, Korina has mostly said "northwestern".  But everyone else keeps turning it into "southwestern".

I don't do Facebook, but was Korina trying to imply her work was comparable to Mario Testino's? Because - no, just no.

Yeah!  I mean, I've never even seen her pick up a camera.

• Love 1

It's like they're reading my mind! I know if I want to dress us as something slutty and provocative, the first thing that comes to mind is a watermelon.

I still think my favorite is slutty french fry.  Although, slutty watermelon with a bite out of the side is in a close race for second.....mostly because of the bite, and the absurdity of not even trying to make it a costume, its just a tight pink dress with black dots.  I wonder if a pack of girls ever gets together to form a slutty value meal (sexy hamburger, sexy fries, sexy soda )

• Love 4

I really hope I see a slutty value meal this Halloween! The sad thing is that I can imagine PR trying to make the designers do some kind of challenge that would result in that.

"Designers, this week your challenge is to create a collection that represents Red Robin's menu in the most literal sense. You will be working in teams of three and your collections must be cohesive. Remember that Red Robin isn't just about food being served to families with young children. Red Robin is also sexy, so keep that in mind as you are designing for this challenge. You will have one day and each designer will have one yard of spandex. There will also be a box full of clearance items from Frederick's of Hollywood so you will have access to add push up bras and thigh high stockings for your models if you wish, but if you choose this option then you will only receive half a yard of spandex so that your models are not covered up too much to represent the sexy Red Robin ideal. We need to see some skin!"

• Love 6

They used to have a slutty ketchup bottle costume which I found hilarious! It's not showing up on their website now so in its place I offer you slutty watermelon.

So do these make Angela's slutty clown seem better or worse in comparison? The reason I hated her convoluted story, as well as Emily and Korina's ridiculous story, is that your clothes shouldn't need an explanation to be good or to be understood. If I don't get it until you explain it to me, your design isn't as good as you think it is.

OMFG ! The purple sexy teletubbie costume is killing me ! http://www.yandy.com/Sexy-Purple-Teletubbie-Costume.php

• Love 3

It has been asked on this thread why so called Reality TV shows are so eager to manufacture drama (or highlight the dramatic behavior of some contestants, or cast volatile people), as we saw on this episode and others before it.  I'm afraid we, the viewers, are the answer to that question.  Just take a look at the number of replies/views each episode thread gets, and you'll see this episode already has 100+ more replies than the last episode.  And that's only on this forum, which is better than most.  Sadly, I think that the average viewer absolutely loves stupid shit like this.

Others have complained about reality shows not focusing enough on the process, may I suggest you give Face Off a try?  It's surprisingly drama free, as far as Reality TV competitions go.

I try to give most reality show contestants the benefit of the doubt, because we know a lot about producer manipulation, but, Korina did take the rope she was given and proceeded to thoroughly hang herself with it.  I have a hard time believing any of these people have never watched the show or don't know what to expect.

I do think Korina is a better designer than Char, and I do like her leather jackets.  I wouldn't mind having a couple of them in my closet.  That said, I don't think she's the future of fashion, or even an influential participant in the fashion world.  And if she doesn't adjust her volatile personality, she can expect to never advance at all in the industry.

My favorite look this episode was Kini's soccer ball dress and Amanda's Yeti, second. I didn't like their third look at all, but it was a whimsical collection.

I like that Amanda, whatever her faults, seems to work well in any team she is assigned.  We didn't see any drama from her team this episode, and even in the one where she was paired with Korina and they had that tense situation going on, the team functioned well.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3

It has been asked on this thread why so called Reality TV shows are so eager to manufacture drama (or highlight the dramatic behavior of some contestants, or cast volatile people), as we saw on this episode and others before it.  I'm afraid we, the viewers, are the answer to that question.  Just take a look at the number of replies/views each episode thread gets, and you'll see this episode already has 100+ more replies than the last episode.  And that's only on this forum, which is better than most.  Sadly, I think that the average viewer absolutely loves stupid shit like this.

Others have complained about reality shows not focusing enough on the process, may I suggest you give Face Off a try?  It's surprisingly drama free, as far as Reality TV competitions go.

I try to give most reality show contestants the benefit of the doubt, because we know a lot about producer manipulation, but, Korina did take the rope she was given and proceeded to thoroughly hang herself with it.  I have a hard time believing any of these people have never watched the show or don't know what to expect.

I do think Korina is a better designer than Char, and I do like her leather jackets.  I wouldn't mind having a couple of them in my closet.  That said, I don't think she's the future of fashion, or even an influential participant in the fashion world.  And if she doesn't adjust her volatile personality, she can expect to never advance at all in the industry.

My favorite look this episode was Kini's soccer ball dress and Amanda's Yeti, second. I didn't like their third look at all, but it was a whimsical collection.

I like that Amanda, whatever her faults, seems to work well in any team she is assigned.  We didn't see any drama from her team this episode, and even in the one where she was paired with Korina and they had that tense situation going on, the team functioned well.

Lots and lots of comments. At this rate Korina is gonna become a recurring contestant with a twirly mustache. Love to hate or hate to love.

Edited by slensam

Here is my thought process on reality show drama (and Project Runway is full of drama, manufactured and legitimate).

1.  Reality shows are cheap.  You don't have to pay writers or actors (no union dues.)

2.  However, you have to deal with "real people" responding in reality rather than professional actors reading lines written for them by someone else.  

3.  You save money but gaining viewership (ie, being "successful) still comes at a cost.  

4.  If everything were honey and clover, no one would tune in.  Audiences like to be involved, to take sides, to watch heroes and villains.

5.  You don't have writers to manufacture those characters so you create them through editing and other talented folks you've already got on the payroll.  (It would be much safer to manipulate storylines with editing than to cast genuinely insane people.  Your insurance premiums would skyrocket every time a designer had a temper fit and hit a cameraman.)

So, on Project Runway we get the temper tantrums and the occasional personality conflicts that are real.  But, more than anything, we get drama fabricated and manipulated by external factors.  

We know that going in.  What always amazes me is that the contestants sometimes seem surprised.

• Love 2

If everything were honey and clover, no one would tune in.  Audiences like to be involved, to take sides, to watch heroes and villains.

Not everyone.  I watch "Face Off" which rarely wanders into the arena of heroes and villains, and usually highlights professionals (or people who want to be professionals in their field) who have the common sense to be cooperative and generally treat each other with respect (they see the show as an opportunity to find work and showcase their talents so perhaps they take it more seriously).  The suspense comes from seeing what they will do with a theme, and how imaginative the results are.  If "Project Runway" emphasized the creative aspect more, and didn't encourage the bullying (which, sadly, Tim Gunn has lately participated in promoting), it would be a more interesting show to someone like me (which makes me a minority of viewers, I guess).  I've gotten so I speed through an episode to get to the end so I don't have to listen to the bickering, though I love watching the designers construct their fashions.  Unfortunately this didn't save me from Korina's meltdown.  It isn't pleasant for me in life or watching a reality show to see someone unravel. 

• Love 6

I know Korina's model's backstory was Peruvian photographer and I can see how it looked Southwestern or Northwestern or Native American, but I think the most appropriate back story would be "My girl is a homeless woman who is afraid that the others at the shelter will steal her clothing, so she wears everything she owns, which was all found through hours of dumpster diving." 

• Love 13

Not everyone.  I watch "Face Off" which rarely wanders into the arena of heroes and villains, and usually highlights professionals (or people who want to be professionals in their field) who have the common sense to be cooperative and generally treat each other with respect (they see the show as an opportunity to find work and showcase their talents so perhaps they take it more seriously).  The suspense comes from seeing what they will do with a theme, and how imaginative the results are.  If "Project Runway" emphasized the creative aspect more, and didn't encourage the bullying (which, sadly, Tim Gunn has lately participated in promoting), it would be a more interesting show to someone like me (which makes me a minority of viewers, I guess).  I've gotten so I speed through an episode to get to the end so I don't have to listen to the bickering, though I love watching the designers construct their fashions.  Unfortunately this didn't save me from Korina's meltdown.  It isn't pleasant for me in life or watching a reality show to see someone unravel. 

I'm with you, I'd much rather watch the creative process like on FaceOff and dislike the episodes that do travel into a more drama territory.

Just because we're talking about this episode more doesn't mean we enjoyed it. I know any press is good press, even if it's bad press... but a thread with 100 posts with a great portion of them complaining about the drama etc. doesn't mean the show is doing something right. And definitely doesn't keep me interested in watching. I do keep trying to quit PR because of all of the stupid drama... but I do like to see the designs.. so thanks to DVR I can fast forward through most of it- including commercials and the listing of all the sponsors etc... so that's not benefiting the show when we're skipping all of that.. and this hour and a half show can be watched in about 15 minutes- which is not a good thing.

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 4

"My girl is a homeless woman who is afraid that the others at the shelter will steal her clothing, so she wears everything she owns, which was all found through hours of dumpster diving." 

Laughing! Even though it's a sad story! So accurate.

• Love 3

Lots and lots of comments. At this rate Korina is gonna become a recurring contestant with a twirly mustache. Love to hate or hate to love.

I think the only way Korina retains a career after this is if P.R. has her back on another season for a redemption arc.  Not saying she deserves it, just that any part of her career that involves public perception is shot now.

• Love 3

I think the only way Korina retains a career after this is if P.R. has her back on another season for a redemption arc.  Not saying she deserves it, just that any part of her career that involves public perception is shot now.

Oh, I'm sure they will have her back for an "All-Stars" or as a contestant magically "brought back" by some producer machination.  But I would think more likely an "All-Stars" because I don't know that I would believe anyone really voted for her to come back, and because they will want to cast her with some drama partner from her season like Sandaya or Char.  Even all stars needs a villain......ugh Helen.

I know any press is good press, even if it's bad press... but a thread with 100 posts with a great portion of them complaining about the drama etc. doesn't mean the show is doing something right. And definitely doesn't keep me interested in watching.

But you see, I've never really agreed with the conventional wisdom of 'any press is good press'. Yes, it may well gain you your 15 minutes but it tends to leave a bad taste; Spencer Pratt, anyone?

I also question whether it really gains all that many viewers or, if it does, for long. A lot of people just aren't into freakshows. Okay, some are. To quote Miss Jean Brody 'For those who like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like'. I also suspect that PR's rating are down (does anyone know?). That could be attributed to a few lackluster seasons but it's also possible that it's simply run it's course, the producers and viewers both have other interests and things taking their attention and the thing is on autopilot.

• Love 2

But you see, I've never really agreed with the conventional wisdom of 'any press is good press'. Yes, it may well gain you your 15 minutes but it tends to leave a bad taste; Spencer Pratt, anyone?

I also question whether it really gains all that many viewers or, if it does, for long. A lot of people just aren't into freakshows. Okay, some are. To quote Miss Jean Brody 'For those who like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like'. I also suspect that PR's rating are down (does anyone know?). That could be attributed to a few lackluster seasons but it's also possible that it's simply run it's course, the producers and viewers both have other interests and things taking their attention and the thing is on autopilot.

I personally don't think "any press is good press" but could see why some take it that way.... but I definitely don't think all of the manufactured/manipulated drama is bringing in viewers or keeping them. If it gets people to tune in initially, I can see it forcing them to tune out almost as quickly.   I know it doesn't enhance my enjoyment of the show, and I definitely miss a lot of work room stuff because I ffwd in order to avoid the drama and snark and annoying. I know it happens in every season, way back to the beginning...

and while I didn't like Santino much during his season, the stuff in the work room was usually fun and entertaining- the designers getting along (mostly) and trying to make each other laugh etc. I liked that side of things if they have to show us more than just design... but this other crap... ugh... thank goodness for DVRs.

• Love 2

"All press is good press" is a workable concept in some cases and not others.  If your career is based on notoriety?  Sure.  If you are a person or entity who's success depends more on being noticed than some kind of brand loyalty?  Sure.  

It's dicier in other cases.  An actor could use bad press to change their career from boring to notorious and ride that wave.  But it can misfire too.  Look at the assumptions that Tom Cruise = box office success.  Did that go down the tubes simply because Tom got older and repetitive in his projects or that public tastes changed?  In part, yes, but just as much of it was the creeping stench of years of him looking like a fool at best, or a cultist at worst.  More press didn't help Tom--it just made things worse. Even still in certain interviews he can still charm the pants off someone and temporarily recoup some positive attention, but the effect doesn't last long.  The bad press has been cumulative.

For someone like an up and coming fashion designer it seems like the effect of bad P.R. lays somewhere in the middle.  One group of people will swear never to buy anything from "that bitch Korina" no matter where they see it or when and that may stick.  But she's also in the business of building a brand, and mark my words, in a few years time people will probably remember Korina's face and name, because she misbehaved, while forgetting virtually every other designer on this season.  In the short term though the bad press could be ruinous, because fashion is a business dependent a lot on partnerships and agreements with people, and that's another place where the reality of exposure might run up against the fear of bad press and quash someone being willing to work with you.  

On balance I'd say there's a decent chance Korina's career is shot, but we might ask WHICH career.  Fashion designer?  Maybe.  Reality star?  Maybe not.  There are definitely ways to make ancillary money from that, even if she never gets another moment of camera time after next week.

• Love 1

I definitely miss a lot of work room stuff

I don't actually think you do.  It feels to me that they do a lot more talking heads than they used to, whereas the construction and interaction in the workroom is treated as filler.  Why show the workroom comraderie, commentary TO each other and the collaboration when you can bloat the show with the pseudo-concerned backstabbing, snark and excuses that make up so many talking heads?  Showing the positive stuff = Not enough drama.

• Love 6

I still think my favorite is slutty french fry.  Although, slutty watermelon with a bite out of the side is in a close race for second.....mostly because of the bite, and the absurdity of not even trying to make it a costume, its just a tight pink dress with black dots.  I wonder if a pack of girls ever gets together to form a slutty value meal (sexy hamburger, sexy fries, sexy soda )

Here we have Coca Cola:  http://www.yandy.com/Coca-Cola-Tank-Dress-Costume.php.

I'm starting to think this could actually be a pretty fun PR challenge, oddly enough!  And it could even work w/the Red Robin thing.

• Love 1

But she's also in the business of building a brand, and mark my words, in a few years time people will probably remember Korina's face and name, because she misbehaved, while forgetting virtually every other designer on this season.

That may well be true. She has, in effect, branded--or rebranded-- herself as a bitch.

Going through previous PR seasons (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the 'trouble' contestants don't seem to have made big names for themselves--Wendy Pepper, Kenley and the rest may be paying their bills but they're hardly setting the fashion pages on fire. Okay, having said that, not many PR designers have made a big splash--period. 'Not a real criticism--fashion, like any art genre is a major tough nut to crack with tons of genuinely talented competition. But given a choice between hiring a person who'd be pleasant and cooperative to work with versus the opposite, well, no brainer in my book. It just makes so much more sense to me to be pleasant and professional; not only does it make live better but it's simply better business.

• Love 2

If "Project Runway" emphasized the creative aspect more, and didn't encourage the bullying (which, sadly, Tim Gunn has lately participated in promoting), it would be a more interesting show to someone like me (which makes me a minority of viewers, I guess).

I'd say you are probably in the minority, even if it doesn't seem like it. When I worked at a newspaper, I noticed everyone always said they were tired of all bad news all the time and they wanted good news about kids doing good things -- not crime and disaster. But the highest-selling papers were always about crime, disaster or scandal. People will say they don't want to see people fighting, but most people will watch that more than the other.

• Love 5
If "Project Runway" emphasized the creative aspect more, and didn't encourage the bullying (which, sadly, Tim Gunn has lately participated in promoting), it would be a more interesting show to someone like me (which makes me a minority of viewers, I guess).

ITA - the reason I love shows like the aforementioned Face Off as well as The Great British Sewing Bee (and all of The Great British/Irish/Australian Bake off shows) is because it's all about technique and there is very minimal drama - and the contestants even help each other. Last season, one of the British bakers accidentally took someone else's dough (made from scratch) out of the refrigerator and used it. When the other baker found out, he said, "Oh, it's fine. It's just dough."

I admit that I sometimes become biased for or against a contestant because of their personality, but in Korina's case I don't like her designs and I don't like her personality so neither one affected my opinion of the other. If anything, they validated my dislike. Same with Gretchen a few seasons ago - ugly clothes, ugly personality. This is a design competition. If you feel like you have to get into someone else's head to manipulate them in order to win, then you don't have as much confidence in your designs as you should. If your designs are awesome, you will win regardless of what the other designers are doing. That's discounting the crack smoking judges but that's an entirely separate issue!

I'd say you are probably in the minority, even if it doesn't seem like it. When I worked at a newspaper, I noticed everyone always said they were tired of all bad news all the time and they wanted good news about kids doing good things -- not crime and disaster. But the highest-selling papers were always about crime, disaster or scandal. People will say they don't want to see people fighting, but most people will watch that more than the other.

exactly.  

My biggest beef with PR is them messing with the runway show.  I like drama in my reality TV, but ultimately with shows like Top Chef and Project Runway, I'm there to see the final dish, and to see the runway show.  If I just wanted drama, I could go watch RHONJ, or anything else Bravo has to offer.  But I want to see that beautiful, delicious dish at the end of Top Chef, and I want to see those beautiful outfits on the runway on PR.  And I think thats what PR has been doing.  I don't even mind certain designers being cannon fodder, some being there to be the villain/cause conflict, and there to be real super talented designers.  But at this point, we should be getting down to the super duper talented designers, and I am slightly worried that these designers are the best designers of this season, not because they are bad per se (I like Kini, I enjoy some of Emily and Sean's stuff), but because they just don't seem like the best.  

They aren't bad, but when I say...the best, I mean the Seth Aarons, the Emilio Sosa's, the Austin Scarlett's (I loved his stuff)....that should be the caliber of designer in the competition at this point.  

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 4

But at this point, we should be getting down to the super duper talented designers, and I am slightly worried that these designers are the best designers, not because they are bad per se (I like Kini, I enjoy some of Emily and Sean's stuff), but because they just don't seem like the best.

There seems like something tentative about the designs..maybe because the judging has been so inconsistent.  I have to admit that I am not a fashion focused person, so I usually assume that my lack of taste is the reason I don't see what others see on the runway (why I watch is the biggest mystery, but I don't cook either and I still watching Top Chef and Chopped).  Anyway, I am still waiting for that moment when even I can go "wow" and the only time I've done that this season was when someone here posted a link to a different runway contest altogether and they showed a garment that turned magically from what looked to me to be a short coat into a full length gown.  Not because it was so tricky but because it looked so well made in both forms.  It's nothing I would wear, but it did deliver a fantasy moment. 

But I want to see that beautiful, delicious dish at the end of Top Chef, and I want to see those beautiful outfits on the runway on PR.

Me too.

• Love 1

There seems like something tentative about the designs..maybe because the judging has been so inconsistent.

I'm trying to remember all the way back when I watched the early seasons -- did they always have only one day to do their work back then? Or did they have 2 days, and the one-day challenges were more of a surprise to throw off the designers? It seems like these days the one-day challenge has become the norm. It's tougher to feel open to creativity when you're rushed on every single challenge. I'm just wondering if perhaps the designers would do better if they had more time? 

• Love 2

I'm trying to remember all the way back when I watched the early seasons -- did they always have only one day to do their work back then? Or did they have 2 days, and the one-day challenges were more of a surprise to throw off the designers? It seems like these days the one-day challenge has become the norm. It's tougher to feel open to creativity when you're rushed on every single challenge. I'm just wondering if perhaps the designers would do better if they had more time? 

Thats always been my theory.  As I remember it, 2 day challenges were the norm, and every once in a while they had a 3 day challenge.  And every once in a great while there was a 1 day challenge.  At some point, it all became 1 day challenges, and I think thats were a lot of the problems come in.  Designers used to take more risks because with a 2 day challenge if you took a risk, and fucked it up, you at least had a day to fix it.  But now, no one wants to take a risk, because they will have like 20 minutes to fix it if they fuck it up.  And so I think it makes it easier for them to fall back on what they know (giant ruffles, fringe, motorcycle jackets) because if they try anything outside of their box its hard to fix.  For this season, I have to wonder if some of the designers eliminated early would have shown better work if given more than a day for their challenge.

• Love 4

I rewatched and it made me so bad when Char went back after her "in" and just bawled over how awful it was. I don't think it was because the judging was so hard but because she actually liked stupid face. In light of stupid face and her shit attitude, it make Char seem so very empathetic.

• Love 2

the judges have also been clear, IMO, that trying to use too many design elements is just as much of a crime as too few.

Unless you're Sandyha, in which case it's "cultural" and therefore brilliant.

Edited by Shibori

oh, I agree the time has something to do with it (though once in awhile a designer does better with less time the way Char did in her one-on-one competition with Korina).   When they have a two day challenge now, there is almost always something extra thrown in as a challenge (an extra garment, for example) which pushes the stress levels even higher.  On the other hand, unless you are an idiot or completely isolated, you've watched this show and know how it works and should be somewhat prepared for what is going on.  If you were planning on being on this show, wouldn't you want to study previous seasons, practice working under time restraints, perhaps practice some skills that are a little weak, and have some ideas to try out?  Some of these people seem ill-prepared to compete.  I'd never go into a test without studying first, yet I get the feeling that's exactly what happens here with some of them.

• Love 2

I rewatched and it made me so bad when Char went back after her "in" and just bawled over how awful it was. I don't think it was because the judging was so hard but because she actually liked stupid face. In light of stupid face and her shit attitude, it make Char seem so very empathetic.

Yes, Char and Korina were friendly early on, weren't they? And because Char doesn't know what goes on in the talking heads, she probably knew Korina had bitchy moments, but had no idea Korina was capable of turning on her the way she did. I read an article a few months back about how the judging goes on for much longer than you'd expect - about an hour for each designer. If that's true, then Char and Korina were standing on that runway for a long time together. I'm sure Korina held nothing back in her desperate attempt to save herself. No wonder Char was crying.

If you were planning on being on this show, wouldn't you want to study previous seasons, practice working under time restraints, perhaps practice some skills that are a little weak, and have some ideas to try out?

It has been increasingly obvious that many of the designers are unprepared. I have come up with a few theories for this:

1. Some are just plain foolish and don't think ahead

2. Some are arrogant enough to believe that faith in their monster talent (rather than preparation) is all the strategy they need

3. There isn't much time between final casting and filming to spend days practicing

4. Some do practice, but they don't have much money, so they don't practice with the same quality of fabrics they'll use in the competition. Practicing with muslin just can't replicate the experience of working with charmeuse or crystal organza or knits or fine woolens. So then they get to the challenge, fall in love with some fabric they can't resist, then get back to the workroom and realize the fabric doesn't work the way they though it would.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

oh, I agree the time has something to do with it (though once in awhile a designer does better with less time the way Char did in her one-on-one competition with Korina).   When they have a two day challenge now, there is almost always something extra thrown in as a challenge (an extra garment, for example) which pushes the stress levels even higher.  On the other hand, unless you are an idiot or completely isolated, you've watched this show and know how it works and should be somewhat prepared for what is going on.  If you were planning on being on this show, wouldn't you want to study previous seasons, practice working under time restraints, perhaps practice some skills that are a little weak, and have some ideas to try out?  Some of these people seem ill-prepared to compete.  I'd never go into a test without studying first, yet I get the feeling that's exactly what happens here with some of them.

I agree with you, and I think to some degree they do prepare, but they all just shoot to be safe now, and that doesn't make for an exciting runway.  I mean, I don't sew, but I would think that even if you practiced a new technique, or something exciting, given the parameters of the challenge you wouldn't even want to try it on a one day challenge.  Sandaya and that corn cob dress (the challenge Char had gotten eliminated on).  She kept saying it was super awesome, but she had to know that looked like a mess, but it took her like most of her one day to make it, and she was using some new technique she had learned.  But that technique wasn't something that could go super fast, and she spent a whole day on it and it looked weird.  Now, 2 day challenge, you could spend a day doing some new technique that was interesting, and figure out by the end of the day that it wasn't going to work, and on day two you would be putting together something new that was at least reasonable.  Some of those techniques, I think would be great to see, but I think you need more than a day to do something of them.

Char and Korina were shown to be "ganging up" on Amanda, although most of what we know is what Amanda said. There was a scene in the bedroom before they left for the day, and another one in the workroom, when Amanda got upset and Korina and Char exchanged mean-girl smiles. So, yes, Char may well have thought she and Korina had a friendship of sorts. She was the one who didn't think Amanda should have been allowed to return, and then had an epiphany about that when she herself came back. Very possible she didn't realize Korina had not also changed her feelings about people coming back. It was really hard to watch her distress at the end.

• Love 1

Some do practice, but they don't have much money, so they don't practice with the same quality of fabrics they'll use in the competition.

They may not have access to a store with fabric remnants...I guess I am lucky that I live in a town that still has this and the remnants are very cheap, and there are still second-hand stores that have cheap clothes in good materials (which would be preparation for some of the challenges...the re-purposing type).  In fact they could solicit old clothes from family and friends who I am sure could come up with all kinds of clothes and perhaps fabrics (my mother was a quilter and she had stacks of fabric that she was happy to share with other people, and some of those materials were pretty amazing).  Now that I think of it, this would also be a source of practice fasteners (I wish they would do one challenge of using no zippers to do the closure on a garment--frankly, several designers do a very poor job of setting the zipper in anyway). There is nothing saying they couldn't sell their resulting "practice" garments if they were any good at all.  I get a whiff of snobbishness in some of the designers.  "I just can't work with.....blah, blah, blah" but they may be asked to work with almost anything (even soccer balls).  I guess it depends on how serious you are, but why would you go into a contest like this without the intention of winning, and setting aside your "I'm too good for this" attitude.

Char and Korina were shown to be "ganging up" on Amanda, although most of what we know is what Amanda said. There was a scene in the bedroom before they left for the day, and another one in the workroom, when Amanda got upset and Korina and Char exchanged mean-girl smiles. So, yes, Char may well have thought she and Korina had a friendship of sorts. She was the one who didn't think Amanda should have been allowed to return, and then had an epiphany about that when she herself came back. Very possible she didn't realize Korina had not also changed her feelings about people coming back. It was really hard to watch her distress at the end.

Good insight.  I had completely forgotten the Char and Korina connection.  Char has shown the ability to learn, which I always appreciate.  The biggest stumbling block Korina has is the inability to see herself clearly and to have any empathy.  I realize it is a contest, but that doesn't mean you have to attack other people.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 1
I mean, I don't sew, but I would think that even if you practiced a new technique, or something exciting, given the parameters of the challenge you wouldn't even want to try it on a one day challenge.

Although I didn't believe her...and always thought her wins were fishy, Anya Ayoung-Chee, 2011's winner claimed to have learned to sew only 3-4 months before being selected for the show.  I remember mostly that she made flowy caftans, palazzo pants, etc.  I'm sure there was more...but I thought she won on very little talent as far as fitting and sewing.

• Love 1

Anya Ayoung-Chee, 2011's winner claimed to have learned to sew only 3-4 months before being selected for the show

They kept saying that but it wasn't true from my recollection of her biography (of course my memory isn't what it used to be).

I mean, I don't sew, but I would think that even if you practiced a new technique, or something exciting, given the parameters of the challenge you wouldn't even want to try it on a one day challenge.

I would think that would be a no brainer along the lines of watching a few seasons of the show--brush up on your zipper technique, double check patterning for collars, waistbands, ruffling and so forth. Make sure you know how to sew stretch fabrics, heavyweight fabrics and all of that. I'd think the designers would approach the show like any job interview--which is what it amounts to being. Do your homework, be prepared.

Oh, and (best job advice I ever got) show up on time, be professional, don't make problems, do your work as well as you can, be helpful and pleasant. You'd be amazed how far that goes and how few people actually carry that through.

• Love 2

Yes to all of the above. And also, again with job interview simile, the correct answer to "why should we hire you (take you to fashion week" is not "because I really, really wnat you to, and it means a lot to me." Seriously, I learned that when I was 18 years old and applying for an overseas program at my school. The following year I applied and gave all the reasons why I deserved it and it would be beneficial to my studies. Got right in.  I'm amazed at how many people get into their late 20s or older and still think that their having intense feelings should matter to someone else, as if they are children.

• Love 5

It's not a job, it's a TV show.  Intense feelings is the entire thing.  They could care less if you are a good worker or whatever.  "As vice-director of product management I streamlined processes and lead to an decrease in overheads by 8.6%!" does not make for compelling TV to me, anyway.

• Love 2

It's not a job, it's a TV show.  Intense feelings is the entire thing.  They could care less if you are a good worker or whatever.  "As vice-director of product management I streamlined processes and lead to an decrease in overheads by 8.6%!" does not make for compelling TV to me, anyway.

Yeah, it's true. It would take a lot more talent than I think most producers have to make the day to day business of business compelling.

On the other hand, there's such a thing as competence porn. And I think if the viewership of your reality show, Project Streamlining Processes and Decreasing Overheads, dropped from four million to two in the matter of a few years after you started making the candidates for Vice Director of Product Management eat bugs, it might be worth considering if competence porn was what they were tuning in for.

• Love 1

IMO, the best responses to the insufferable "why should you go to Fashion week" question are when people say things like:  I have a lot I'd like to show you and the world.  PR aims to put on a spectacular show and I think I could really contribute to making an exciting runway show this year.  And I think I would represent the PR brand well by showing great new designs while demonstrating integrity and professionalism.

Seriously, when asked "why should we give you X" you should always think about what the other party wants.  It's a basic negotiation skill!  

• Love 1

I would think that would be a no brainer along the lines of watching a few seasons of the show--brush up on your zipper technique, double check patterning for collars, waistbands, ruffling and so forth. Make sure you know how to sew stretch fabrics, heavyweight fabrics and all of that. I'd think the designers would approach the show like any job interview--which is what it amounts to being. Do your homework, be prepared.

Oh, and (best job advice I ever got) show up on time, be professional, don't make problems, do your work as well as you can, be helpful and pleasant. You'd be amazed how far that goes and how few people actually carry that through.

Yes, but just knowing and showcasing the basics makes for a boring runway.  The newer techniques the designers try to showcase seem to be beyond the basics, and those are what make for those "aha!" moments, IMO.  But, because they are new, and not something the designers have done over and over, they take longer to execute (Sandaya's knitting thing).

This is the problem, it used to be that the designers aimed to wow, and if they screwed the kitty in day one, after taking a lot of time on a newer technique, then they could go back and simply aim for safe on day two.  Now they only have one day, and it doesn't make sense for them to aim to wow, now they are just aiming for basic competence and to be safe.  

Agree.  They have to cast personalities, and they need the villain, so they have to cast a certain percentage of the contestants as those that will give them the drama.  They have to cast some cannon fodder, so we don't get super invested or attached to those people.  But then they should cast some real hardcore talent, the designers that are going to make things that make my head spin.  I feel like this season either they haven't cast the last group (although I still love Fade), or because of the early time constraints people got let go early, but they were super talented.