Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: The Highest Bidder

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I know I'm far from the first to say this, but there is a tremendous disconnect this season between Tim's taste and what the judges like.

I believe Tim is giving his honest opinion. The judges, on the other hand, have been tampered with. I am curious to know whether the judges are "briefed" by the writers/producers before vs after watching the runway. Because I am convinced that at some point, the judges are encouraged, if not outright told, to modify their feedback to move the story along.

On a non-Korina/Char topic...

Was anyone else cringeing at the poor models having to wear storage-locker fabrics, cast-offs, etc., possibly infested with bed bugs?  

This is NYC.  We have bed bugs.  Even the movie theaters and Victoria's Secret have had bed bugs.  We give furniture left on the curb a v-e-r-y wide berth.  Those things can live for 6 months without eating!!

Just me, then?  O-kay....

• Love 2

Jubilee Jumbles Bizarrely Specific and Incredibly Improbable Runway Backstory Hall of Fame with Angela

Is Angela the one who tried to make 'fleurettes' happen?  She stuck those things on every garment.

Putting your design into context with a simple story makes sense, but some of these people come up with such tortured explanations that it actually distracts from the clothing.

• Love 5

I didn't realize it was a PERUVIAN fashion photographer until I read these boards and at that point, yes, Emily & Korina were officially inducted into the Jubilee Jumbles Bizarrely Specific and Incredibly Improbable Runway Backstory Hall of Fame with Angela. Her "girl" was actually an assistant art director at a children's art camp in Paris called Jubilee Jumbles and she was throwing a birthday party for her dog. And she dressed like a slutty clown.

Oh my goodness, I don't remember this one for some reason. I've been looking all over the web for pictures of Angela's "girl" and the design but I'm not having much luck. Does anyone happen to know where there may be photos?  That is a pretty hilarious story - and I agree, sounds like Emily and Korina are in good company in that Hall of Fame!

• Love 1

Oh my goodness, I don't remember this one for some reason. I've been looking all over the web for pictures of Angela's "girl" and the design but I'm not having much luck. Does anyone happen to know where there may be photos?  That is a pretty hilarious story - and I agree, sounds like Emily and Korina are in good company in that Hall of Fame!

Try this one : http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5702/2078/1600/RunwayLineUp.0.png

Hopefully it will work.. it's from this blog : http://allprojectrunway.blogspot.com/2006/07/justin-coutures-pr-recap-episode-3.html

• Love 3
What bothers me is Nina accusing Korina of continously sending southwestern looks down the runway when the only other design that kind of qualified was that green and black finged dress she made or the unconventional challenge.  Korina called her out on that and I really can't blame her.

The big coat she made for the jewelry challenge was very southwestern in the pattern on the fabric. I think the problem is that it is her more recent stuff that has been "southwestern" in nature. Even though it didn't work out she mentioned on the runway that she was thinking Thunderbird for the rainway challenge. You possibly could even argue that the 2 braid styling on the American Girl challenge was western in nature. I was actually more sick of her making damn 'moto' jackets. 

• Love 1

I wonder if it mightn't be the other way around. Sandhya certainly got a free ride because the judges, who appeared to know very little about south asian culture, decided that Sandhya was riffing on it and they had to give her points for that. Maybe Nina's been going easy on Korina because she figured everything that doesn't make sense about her work is somehow "ethnic." It sounds like a very Nina thing to do.

The big coat she made for the jewelry challenge was very southwestern in the pattern on the fabric. I think the problem is that it is her more recent stuff that has been "southwestern" in nature. Even though it didn't work out she mentioned on the runway that she was thinking Thunderbird for the rainway challenge. You possibly could even argue that the 2 braid styling on the American Girl challenge was western in nature. I was actually more sick of her making damn 'moto' jackets. 

I agree that the coat was very southwestern... and the green fringe unconventional dress seemed southwest inspired to me as well... and then add in the "thunderbird" failure on the rainway, this makes 4 ish times going for a similar theme. And it's not in a good way.

I still think that skirt looked like somethign I could do at home by wrapping a blanket around my waist... I guess throw in some safety pins and it'd be done.. I could be on PR!!

Personally, i don't think Char is a terrible designer... and I definitely wouldn't say that Korina is so much better than her... I think they both kind of suck, but Korina hasn't stood out to me as so much better than Char. Her outfit was bad- the skirt was bad, the cape was bad... the shirt was meh and it was way over accessorized. That would have put her on the chopping block whether Char was in the competition or not.

• Love 1

If Korina sent 12 consecutive southwest looks down the runway I don't see why that should be a problem - that is her aesthetic. She has shown so many variations on this theme that she can't be accused of "one trick pony". If she had relied on southwest prints to get her POV across, then yes, she is lacking range. But the judges are constantly going on about showing who they are as a designer, and I think Korina has done a passable job interpreting her regional inspiration into various challenges.

I think Korina's behaviour was pretty gross, but it is overshadowed by my frustration that Char is still there. IMO she is the second weakest designer to ever make Top 5. I agreed with Korina that the sew off was bullshit. Korina's work had more redeeming design elements and her track record is far and away better than Char's. And that's not even getting into the fact that Char's one hour dress had Sean written all over it. It looked nothing even remotely like anything Char has designed and I wished the judges had pointed that out and at least rewarded Korina for her ambition and commitment to her POV.

Obviously Korina's attitude makes it hard for me to feel particularly badly for her, but on a selfish level, I was looking forward to seeing more of her work, whereas I think Char should have gone home instead of Fade and Alexander, and shouldn't have gotten the save over Kristine in the first place.

• Love 3

I think my problem with saying Corina was set up was that she sent that horrible "non Southwestern Navajo fuck you judges" look down the runway for the elimination challenge.  It  looked badly put together and screamed "Pick me , pick me to lose" ,. You would think someone who went to design school would pick a simple design that she could polish off in an hour and do well.   If Char could do it (with Sean's help) surely it wasn't outside the wheel house of both Corrina AND Emily to accomplish also.

• Love 4

I think the problem is that it is her more recent stuff that has been "southwestern" in nature. Even though it didn't work out she mentioned on the runway that she was thinking Thunderbird for the rainway challenge.

Except that the thunderbird myth is more commonly thought of as from the Pacific Northwest, which is more, I think, where Korina comes from anyway, right?   I actually wish that if Korina was going to be snarky, she would have channeled it into schooling the judges about the fact that "Native American" is not a monolith of style.  Of course, even if she had done, it would never get past the editors.  So we'll never know!

It's kind of like on Top Chef when they talk about "Asian" food.

Having said all that, why, oh why didn't they put one of those cute tiny bowler hats on their "Peruvian" fashion photographer?  That would have made my day.  I actually laughed out loud when they showed all three of Korina and Emily's looks on screen at the same time.  The hell were they thinking?!?

• Love 5

If Korina sent 12 consecutive southwest looks down the runway I don't see why that should be a problem - that is her aesthetic. She has shown so many variations on this theme that she can't be accused of "one trick pony". If she had relied on southwest prints to get her POV across, then yes, she is lacking range. But the judges are constantly going on about showing who they are as a designer, and I think Korina has done a passable job interpreting her regional inspiration into various challenges.

I think Korina's behaviour was pretty gross, but it is overshadowed by my frustration that Char is still there. IMO she is the second weakest designer to ever make Top 5. I agreed with Korina that the sew off was bullshit. Korina's work had more redeeming design elements and her track record is far and away better than Char's. And that's not even getting into the fact that Char's one hour dress had Sean written all over it. It looked nothing even remotely like anything Char has designed and I wished the judges had pointed that out and at least rewarded Korina for her ambition and commitment to her POV.

But to me, when Korina does southwestern, its done in the same way.  Southwestern print on something.  Vest/Jacket = southwestern print, Skirt = Southwestern print on the bottom and on the cuffs of the shirt.  Even Thunderbird seemed to be an attempt to actually construct a thunderbird around a little black dress (some sort of exoskeleton).  She has never evolved the southwestern influence from that, and I think that was Nina's criticism.  Patricia, IMO, is a perfect example of someone whose clothing had a Southwest/Native American/Spanish influence, but it was almost never as direct as a southwest style print.  And it was always a little different, even if I didn't like it.  There was the gunslinger dress, then there was the roses on the dress, and from there it would just go on.    Even Sandaya...whose stuff I also didn't like, was able to reference her culture without a direct use of a particular pattern or print.  I think the judges will be okay with someone falling back on an influence over and over, but I can understand them wanting the designer to switch it up, and give them something more interesting than slapping a southwestern pattern on things.  And I also think the judges are okay with you even slapping a southwestern print of everything if you do it in a successful, interesting or innovative way, I don't think Korina did.

I don't think the sew off was necessarily bullshit because they always say, "one day you're in, the next you're out" and have made it clear that each challenge is judged on its own merits.  As the disconnect between Tim and the judges shows, fashion is very subjective, even amongst the "experts".  Tim is an expert on fashion, so is Nina, so is Zac.  Many times this season, they have had totally different opinions on a look.  So, I don't know that you can really say that from the judges POV that both looks weren't equally bad.  From my POV, both looks had major issues, especially when they really focused in on Korina's look.  I think there has been talk of a track record, but its been rare, and I remember those discussions for designers who had done amazing work, especially when up for elimination against someone who had only brought sub par work to the table.  Korina's work hasn't always been amazing, nor has her track record on the show.  She has had two wins, one of which Char was in the top group as well.  And, if she thought it was such bullshit it should have been super simple for her to beat out Char.  A one hour sew off, even with Sean helping was a disadvantage to Char because she can't sew/construct fast.  Emily and Sean are equally talented as helpers, so it was really down to Char and Korina, and Korina should have been able to easily win it if she was so much more talented.  Nina has made those comments in the past about overuse of a particular theme/motif, and the comments have been much snarkier, so it shouldn't have thrown Korina that much off of her game.

the judges have also been clear, IMO, that trying to use too many design elements is just as much of a crime as too few.  I'm all about rewarding a personal quality like ambition and confidence, but those two positive qualities were far outshadowed by her negative personal qualities of being an entitled bitch, to me.  I think if you're rewarding personal qualities, you should reward someone who has demonstrated stress under pressure, which Char did.  

• Love 9
Except that the thunderbird myth is more commonly thought of as from the Pacific Northwest, which is more, I think, where Korina comes from anyway, right?

The thunderbird is a pretty universal symbol for Native Americans in the US. We had him in Arizona, where I grew up. 

• Love 2

I liked the Peruvian clothes as well. They look nothing like anything Korina sent down the runway.

Her stuff from the show, to me, is very 80s or early 90s but not in good way. There's no humour or variety at all. And the styling... well, I hate to agree with Nina, but oy ve.

I was one of the ones who took up for her regarding Nina saying she had used the southwestern influence four times... I said 2, but I had forgotten about the attempt at a thunderbird on the avant garde challenge. Of course, it ended up looking NOTHING like anything thunderbird related, but I assumed that's just because she has no creativity outside her wheelhouse, which is southwestern OR motorcycle jackets.

I'm also amazed that someone American Indian, with such a rich and diverse culture to draw from, keeps doing fringe-y southwestern rick rack trimmed looking midi skirts (yes, I said it, midi, I'm old). There are so many influences and tribes from which to draw reference, yet she kept doing Navajo, showing she really is just a one-way monkey.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

Putting your design into context with a simple story makes sense, but some of these people come up with such tortured explanations that it actually distracts from the clothing.

Tell me about it. A tagline is even better. There's no need for a designer to give a dissertation on why (s)he chose a particular design.

Designer: "Our girl is proud of her Southwestern roots, which is why we created a denim/Southwestern blanket blocked sheath dress. But she's also the consummate jetsetter with an eye toward the bright colors of Mumbai, so we took the leftover pinwheels from Sandyha's work desk and stapled them to the back of the suede tan duster. We decided a bolo tie would be too 'over the top,' so Kini flew to Easter Island and carved a stone pendant out of the volcanic rock used for the Moais. The volcanic rock represents how 'hot' and stylish our girl is."

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 8

Korina also needs to understand that Southwestern is so last year.

http://www.whowhatwear.com/the-southwestern-prints-on-our-radar-this-season/

Over the summer, I saw a few Aztec-influenced designs at some of the mall stores. But the Southwest look overall? No. I remember some things last year.

I don't like Korina, but she has a particular aesthetic she feels comfortable with (they each have their preferred aesthetic) and that's what works for her. There's a definite market for her aesthetic. She just has to rein in her attitude.

I like Emily, but I didn't care for her couch cushion jacket at all. Even after her alteration, it still reminded me of a couch cushion.

Edited by Surrealist

Emily & Korina were officially inducted into the Jubilee Jumbles Bizarrely Specific and Incredibly Improbable Runway Backstory Hall of Fame with Angela. Her "girl" was actually an assistant art director at a children's art camp in Paris called Jubilee Jumbles and she was throwing a birthday party for her dog. And she dressed like a slutty clown.

I think I know what I want to be for halloween!

A few years ago I ordered a (perfectly normal non-slutty) Halloween costume and now I keep getting sale emails from the company for every possible slutty costume you can think of. Slutty fairytale characters! Slutty superheroes! Slutty food! Slutty crayons! At your request, I present slutty clowns on parade!

Bonus: hilarious attempt at sexy Ronald McDonald costume!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
I like Emily, but I didn't care for her couch cushion jacket at all. Even after her alteration, it still reminded me of a couch cushion.

I agree. I was really surprised the judges loved it so much. I just kept thinking couch cushion!

I agree. I was really surprised the judges loved it so much. I just kept thinking couch cushion!

I was waiting for the judges (at least, Nina) to tear apart Emily's jacket and it never happened.

I enjoy praising likeable people for a job well done, but that jacket was bad.

• Love 1

Designer: "Our girl is proud of her Southwestern roots, which is why we created a denim/Southwestern blanket blocked sheath dress. But she's also the consummate jetsetter with an eye toward the bright colors of Mumbai, so we took the leftover pinwheels from Sandyha's work desk and stapled them to the back of the suede tan duster. We decided a bolo tie would be too 'over the top,' so Kini flew to Easter Island and carved a stone pendant out of the volcanic rock used for the Moais. It took Kini an hour and ten minutes to finish the necklace because he needed a ten minute restroom break.  We decided that the volcanic rock represents how 'hot' and stylish our girl is."

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA

Hold on... wait a minute, Kini needed a 10 minute break? No way! The story for the "girl" is totally destroyed with that bit of implausibility.

• Love 3

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA

Hold on... wait a minute, Kini needed a 10 minute break? No way! The story for the "girl" is totally destroyed with that bit of implausibility.

I fixed it. Better now?  ;)

Actually, I had debated whether to include it. Kini reminds me of Shan from UTG. They finish all their work in under 90 minutes and spend the remainder of the day cleaning up the workroom and breakroom.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Kini reminds me of Shan from UTG. They finish all their work in under 90 minutes and spend the remainder of the day cleaning up the workroom and breakroom.

If they're determined to endlessly recycle contestants, I'd love to see Shan again (even if it means we get stuck with the dreaded Asha). I really liked his attitude, his clothes weren't bad, and his family was adorable. 

• Love 3

If they're determined to endlessly recycle contestants, I'd love to see Shan again (even if it means we get stuck with the dreaded Asha). I really liked his attitude, his clothes weren't bad, and his family was adorable. 

So, for an All Stars cycle? I could live with that. Kini, Shan, Fade, and Natasha? I liked Natasha. She was easily stressed, but came up with interesting ideas. Like her crank dress for the Steampunk challenge. Plus Tim, Mondo, and Asha treated her horribly. I'd like to see her get redemption, but this is a discussion for another thread.

I'd love to see Kini and Shan in a workroom at the same time. Hilarious.

• Love 1

Absolutely. All the rest of it was not over-the-top at all, and fits the not at all over-the-top stories the designers come up with for their "girl." LOL.

Exactly. Their definitions of "over-the-top" vastly differ from mine.

• Love 1

A few years ago I ordered a (perfectly normal non-slutty) Halloween costume and now I keep getting sale emails from the company for every possible slutty costume you can think of. Slutty fairytale characters! Slutty superheroes! Slutty food! Slutty crayons! At your request, I present slutty clowns on parade!

OMG!  They have slutty hamburger, slutty french fry, and slutty hamburgler.  Although slutty hamburger is pretty much just a tube dress.

• Love 3

OMG! They have slutty hamburger, slutty french fry, and slutty hamburgler. Although slutty hamburger is pretty much just a tube dress.

They used to have a slutty ketchup bottle costume which I found hilarious! It's not showing up on their website now so in its place I offer you slutty watermelon.

So do these make Angela's slutty clown seem better or worse in comparison? The reason I hated her convoluted story, as well as Emily and Korina's ridiculous story, is that your clothes shouldn't need an explanation to be good or to be understood. If I don't get it until you explain it to me, your design isn't as good as you think it is.

• Love 4

They used to have a slutty ketchup bottle costume which I found hilarious! It's not showing up on their website now so in its place I offer you slutty watermelon.

LOL. I especially like the big "bite" out of it. That's high fashion, right there. I wonder what Nina would say?

• Love 3

I don't do Facebook, but was Korina trying to imply her work was comparable to Mario Testino's? Because - no, just no.

The link is to a site not on Facebook.  Actually, there were similarities between the designs shown in Vogue and Korina/Emily's "collection"...particularly Korina's caped look.  Of course the Vogue fashions were created with the luxury of time and fine fabrics rather than a PR challenge. 

I'm very torn. Kornia behaved like a toddler getting told no for the firs time in her life, but at the same time, I've enjoyed a lot of Korina's work this season and think she should still be in the competition. Her long coat, her green tape dress, her little girl outfit and even this week I liked a few of the pieces though I think she put them together horribly and overstyled them. Those boots killed any chance that skirt had, but the skirt itself was nice. I liked the cape and I liked her leggings. I've already looked at the finale collections and Korina's was my favourite too. Her work is good. Its not that she's a bit better than Char; she's a good designer. (At least on this year's scale where Sean who is boring is a frontrunner.) Char isn't. Char's clothes this week looked like they could have come from Express. (Is that a thing in the US?) Her clothes are always tight, cheap, and tacky. The saving grace of that blue dress was the cape and Sean did the cape. I would rather have Korina around in terms of design but she's such an ass. I'm glad she's gone but I would have just sent them both home. 

• Love 1

So do these make Angela's slutty clown seem better or worse in comparison? The reason I hated her convoluted story, as well as Emily and Korina's ridiculous story, is that your clothes shouldn't need an explanation to be good or to be understood. If I don't get it until you explain it to me, your design isn't as good as you think it is.

LOL. I especially like the big "bite" out of it. That's high fashion, right there. I wonder what Nina would say?

The bite is dated, yo.

That is the funniest website ever.  And such marketing genius, a tube dress would retail at what, $20?  But make it in pink, add black polka dots and a "bite" and now it retails at $70!  I know I'm going to be getting banner ads about slutty club gear and how I can buy legal X from here on out, but it was worth it!  If for nothing else, slutty french fry and slutty watermelon.

You hit the nail on the head though as to why I loved Seth Aaron's clothes, even if the judges asked for an explanation of his "girl" I never needed it.  I knew who his girl was and she was/is fascinating to me.  But yeah, if you need to give me story in order for me to like your clothes, you should just make better clothes.

Nina would be trying to figure out if "bites" out of clothing is something that young people are talking about now.  She would be all over MySpace and Friendster trying to figure it out before making any decisions.  

• Love 5

Except that the thunderbird myth is more commonly thought of as from the Pacific Northwest, which is more, I think, where Korina comes from anyway, right?

I didn't know it was Pacific Northwest. I'm from Oklahoma and mostly know it from the 45th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army, which used a swastika (a Native American symbol) until the Nazis. Then they changed to a thunderbird in a design by a guy from Carnegie, Okla.

I think if Korina had made the same outfit but styled the model without the boots and the hat and those things on the wrists, but styled her as though she lived in, say, New York City, not Peru, it would have worked a lot better, and she might not have had to be in the sew-off.

• Love 1

Those are all so disturbing!  But thank you for the laugh. :)

t's easy to be classy and cool when you're the one being propped up.

I agree with this. I didn't get why Char was talking about how being saved showed that she has talent and really wants to be there. It shows that she benefitted from a save, that's all.  

• Love 2

OMG!  They have slutty hamburger, slutty french fry, and slutty hamburgler.  Although slutty hamburger is pretty much just a tube dress.

Maybe that website is sponsored by Red Robin and this website is a sneak peek into the next challenge, where the designers have to base their looks on the Red Robin's menu, and Char pulls off a stunning onion-ring cocktail look and is sent to the finals over Emily's jalapeno poppers evening gown, but only because Tim Gunn supplied Char with controversial editing advice about her ranch dressing trim.

• Love 7

I agree with this. I didn't get why Char was talking about how being saved showed that she has talent and really wants to be there. It shows that she benefitted from a save, that's all.  

I think her point was that she was still there 5 challenges after her save... And that if she didn't deserve the save she would have been auf'd again right away. I do think she has a point. She has made some decent stuff since returning, even if it hasn't all been amazing.

• Love 4

I've bought from the Peruvian Connection!  Their sweaters are gorgeous.  Going by what the judges were saying about the cape fabrics, Korina's pieces weren't made of the kind of quality materials that Peruvian Connection uses.  And while we agree that the outfit looked Peruvian, Korina kept saying that her aesthetic is Southwestern, no?

Did they say that their girl was a Peruvian photographer? Or something like that?

OK...nevermind. If I had scrolled down a few posts I would have seen that confirmed. 

I can't wait for this week's episode. Korina can dig her little mean girl grave a little deeper. I would take a dedicated, kind, possibly less talented designer over a bitchy, ungrateful snot any day. 

Edited by jackjill89
  • Love 2

I've bought from the Peruvian Connection! Their sweaters are gorgeous. Going by what the judges were saying about the cape fabrics, Korina's pieces weren't made of the kind of quality materials that Peruvian Connection uses. And while we agree that the outfit looked Peruvian, Korina kept saying that her aesthetic is Southwestern, no?

I think the two of them came up with the Peruvian angle after standing back and looking at their mishmash and thinking it resembled indigenous Peruvian clothing with the layers of textures and patterns. Which it did, kind of, in a very broad sense, although rather insulting because the Quechua people are renowned for their gorgeous handcrafted textiles, not old couch batting for Christ's sake. Anyway, it was a stupid angle to try and save their fugly looks and I'm glad that Nina gave it the power sneer it so richly deserved.

Not to mention, Lima is a very sophisticated city and any high-fashion photographer there would not be wearing referential indigenous clothing simply because she is Peruvian. She'd be wearing whatever came down the runway from that most recent season, like any other fashion photographer around the world. God, that whole dumb backstory made me roll my eyes harder than Korina did while awaiting their sudden-death runway show.

It's so awesome that you know that!

Awesome... or mildly pathetic? :)

I am ridic about PR, whutcanahsay.

• Love 1