Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

I laughed when Diane commented on her mother wearing the same clothes to work. She is such an adorable and fun little actress. She has great body language too. 

Dre's father is not a freeloader. I am sure he has his own income after working all his life. There is no indication that Dre is paying his way and even if he was, he is his father. I suppose if you want to call the children, " freeloaders" you can make a case there since they don't work, don't have an income, and constantly need money.  Btw, does Dre's father live with them or does he visit? I cannot tell. 

Edited by SimoneS

Black people tend to take in their parents when they get older so Dre's dad being around and/or living there doesn't surprise me or seem out of the ordinary.

Funny episode. The nod is so very true. So is the dap. Every year during open house at my kids' school, the white people watch in awe (?) as the black dads dap each other up in the hallways. There are a lot of them and they don't all know each other but they act like they're long lost brothers LOL. It's hilarious.

So they live in or near LA? There are upper middle class black neighborhoods there, which makes this all even more unnecessary but I'm just gonna go with it.

Jack and Jill-ish! I called it.

Diane is so cute. She's my favorite kid on this show.

Charlie, lawd.

Rainbow annoys me with her views on race but I love her as a mom. TER has great comedic timing.

Btw, does Dre's father live with them or does he visit? I cannot tell.

I think I read that he lives in the family's guest house, but the show hasn't made that clear.

The Nod is SO true! And I went to a predominantly white school in Philly (though my neighborhood was diverse - I had black friends!) and my parents were always encouraging me to do activities through church, which was mostly black. One of my friends was in Jack and Jill - he said he loved it. (Not a childhood friend - we went to college together.)

The twins are growing on me. Precocious kids usually annoy me (looking at you, Olivia from The Cosby Show) but these kids don't. The little boy especially - he's kind of adorable.

I love this show because, as someone who grew up in a black upper middle class family and who received an entirely private education, I have lived this - but the show doesn't touch on how lonely being "the only one" can be. (I am REALLY feeling it in my current job.) I find that interesting.

• Love 2

Dre takes over Rainbow's "mom" duties for a week and the overwhelming praise he receives from everyone at his kids' school ends up going to his head to the point where he finds himself going overboard not to be outdone by anyone, including the school's "crazy mom."

• Love 1

I watched the episode again (!) last night, and there was another moment that I missed that cracked me up. Dre and Junior were sitting on the couch talking and Dre touched the top of Junior's head. Not even a second later, you see Dre surreptitiously rubbing his hand on Junior's shirt. I guess the pomade was too much. 

• Love 3

I'm in the minority here, but this episode, the whole show isn't all that funny, or groundbreaking.  It's not any better than or different from My Wife And Kids.  The kids are less black-sh than they are bland-ish.  The character played Lawrence Fishburne is of the most interesting, and he's reduced to delivering these one liners and walking off.  It's hard to explain but the dialogue sound "written" and not natural within the scenes.  I'm going to hang in there and hope it gets better in the next few episodes, or I'm out.

"400 years of non-consensual gardening" was a great line.

This had me rolling it was my favorite. The other one I really liked that no one has mentioned was when Charlie asked which bathroon they don't need to use the rest of the night and Rainbow straight faced it with "which ever one you use."

One reason I really liked Charlie is b/c his boundry issues had nothing to do with being black. There are just as many white folks who could be Charlies too. That is where this show really has fined tuned the comedic. They can make it about black issue AND about everyday issues any race would face and make both funny.

• Love 1

Weird synchronicity - little Jack featured in Virgin America's latest safety video:

at 3:31 and 4:30 or thereabouts. That's him, right?

ETA: oops didn't realize the link would embed the video. Will remove if that's not kosher.

Edited by rubyred

Dre's father is not a freeloader. I am sure he has his own income after working all his life. There is no indication that Dre is paying his way and even if he was, he is his father. I suppose if you want to call the children, " freeloaders" you can make a case there since they don't work, don't have an income, and constantly need money.  Btw, does Dre's father live with them or does he visit? I cannot tell.

I know he isn't a freeloader. I posted an amendment to my original "freeloader" comment:

Maybe "freeloader" is the wrong word. He doesn't come around just to get money or take resources from the family. He's an integral part of their family life. I simply meant that he's another person that Rainbow has to cook for. Speaking as a person who gets tired of cooking every day, any extra mouth at my table becomes a freeloader. (Yeah, I have issues).

Edited by topanga

I loved her quick retorts with Mom about the siblings:  "probably several times"  and "optimis-tic" -- will have to rewatch to get her comment on Jack.

Edited by MyLisa
  • Love 1

Another great one. This show just gets funnier every week. The "nod" is a sign of solidarity in the Black community in general and among Black men in particular, but it can be bad if it falls into the wrong hands, as shown in this episode, but I'll get to that in a moment. Once again, Dre's well-meaning attempts to get Andy in touch with his roots made things worse for Andy, not to mention it almost getting Dre arrested for child molesting. Only Dre would think that someone trying to sell Andy a hot police car is a learning experience. Then again, since it was at the Compton chapter of the Boys & Girls Club, it's a wonder they didn't throw in some weed, a 40 ounce and a semi-automatic to sweeten the deal. 

Getting back to the wrong hands that I mentioned earlier, they don't come much wronger than Charlie, Dre's co-worker. To Charlie, the "B" word isn't "bitch"; it's "boundaries." Charlie has little (if any) respect for other peoples' time, their personal space (especially in the Men's room), their feelings, as shown by his shittiness to his son, their privacy or their property. When Charlie had the nerve to try on Dre's shoes without his permission, Dre was right to throw him out. Four of Charlie's many problems are that he tries way too hard and epically fails, but he doesn't seem to know it or care. No wonder Charlie's estranged wife cheated on him and shot him. The only good thing about Dre and Charlie's meeting each other is that Charlie's son and Andy became friends, who have a lot in common: they're both geeks, they're both Lord Of the Rings fans and their dads are idiots. 

Meanwhile, Rainbow had problems of her own re Diane, who was initially about as thrilled to spend the day at the hospital with her mom as she was about eating hospital food or being babysat by a male nurse (News flash, Diane: nursing's not just for girls anymore).  That is, until Diane saw the patients themselves. The blood! The wounds! The carnage! The pain! The stink of death! Nothing like gratuitous violence to make a child appreciate a parent who works in the medical profession, especially if a hatchet to the head is involved. About Pops, I heart him. He's a very important part of the family and the show. In his own old-school way, Pops holds the family together. Pops isn't the smartest or most modern guy in the world, but what he lacks in tact he makes up for with common sense. 

Edited by DollEyes
Yes, they're supposed to live in the LA area. I know there have been a few specific references to it in the dialogue but I don't remember them off the top of my head - sorry I can't give you any concrete examples!

Dre was indignant that he had to drive all the way to Azusa to get the grass for Junior's project that wasn't even for extra credit. I think there was something else, too.

I don't think Fishburne's character is a freeloader, but the show could deal with Bow doing all the cooking at some point. Family chores/gender roles is a very valid issue and this show seems to want to cover at least one per week.

Edited by Catherinewriter
  • Love 2

I binge-watched all three episodes today and fell in love. So glad this show exists and is doing well in the ratings!

Gay women have The Nod too, so I totally related to that. On workdays I like to go for a walk outside, and once there was a lesbian whom I gave The Nod to and who didn't give me The Nod back. I was just like Dre with his son, "WTF is wrong with you?" But I've seen her again on later walks and she has learned The Nod.

• Love 5

Like the Cosby show, even though Black-ish is centered around a black family the topics are pretty much universal.

Yep, absolutely. I think that's key to its apparent popularity. They don't shy away from racial topics (obviously), but they manage to make the stories and the family relatable to everyone. I remember thinking that about TCS when I was a kid. Even though I lived in a diametrically different place, as the daughter of lower-middle class farmers in rural America, their family was somehow in many important ways just like mine. Considering my hometown was about 99.95% white, that was a great lesson.

Specific to this episode, "the nod" is a perfect example. Several people have shared their "nods", so I'll share mine: the farmer nod. When I was little, I thought my dad knew everyone, because whenever we met someone on the road, they and my dad would do a two-fingered "wave". Only later did I realize it was just farmers acknowledging each other. I still can't meet a dirty pickup truck without giving them a two-fingered salute. lol

• Love 3

Adding to what photo fox said -- there are many examples of people hailing strangers with whom they have something in common.  Some drivers honked and waved at others driving the same unusual type of car, such as VW bugs in the early 1960s and PT Cruisers in the early 2000s.

Last night's episode was the best so far.  So many quotable lines!

Like the Cosby show, even though Black-ish is centered around a black family the topics are pretty much universal.  For example, the urinal separation (or lack thereof) is like an unwritten social contract that some guys just seem not to get. 

The Nod reminded me of many years ago when I went with a black friend to a club.  It didn't really sink in that I was in the minority until I came across the only other white guy in the place, who actually told me he was glad he wasn't the only one. 

I'm a female and I EVEN know that rule. I guess because women have the same rule as well, at least, in my experience. Perhaps it's weird since there are doors, but it's like, "Do not use the stall besides me unless you have to." lol

I will admit when the free gardening line was mentioned, I thought before it was said, "have the forgotten about slavery???" lol

The molester joke had me dying, especially since Dre knew it came off creepy and advised the lady to do the right thing. lol

ETA: The year book part when Dre or someone asks about one of the kids and Jr says, "He's ________ (not black)" and then one of them says that he is but the mama is keeping a secret. lmfao

Edited by Nanrad

This was a hilarious episode.  I think everybody here's done a good enough job pointing out the highlights that I don't really have to do it. The little girl was amazing in it. My only nitpick is that if Junior is enough of a nerd to do extra acknowledgement projects then the joke about Diane being Bow's last hope of having a doctor in the family doesn't really work.

But yes the nod is definitely real as that's usually the only way that my boss tends to acknowledge me.

My only nitpick is that if Junior is enough of a nerd to do extra acknowledgement projects then the joke about Diane being Bow's last hope of having a doctor in the family doesn't really work.

I think the point is that Junior's nerdiness isn't directed towards anything that will help him become a doctor. Endless knowledge about Tolkien isn't going to get you into medical school. I think his enthusiasm is adorable. He loves The Hobbit so much that he made a shire model just for fun knowing that he wouldn't get any extra credit for it.

• Love 4

Several people have shared their "nods", so I'll share mine: the farmer nod. When I was little, I thought my dad knew everyone, because whenever we met someone on the road, they and my dad would do a two-fingered "wave". Only later did I realize it was just farmers acknowledging each other. I still can't meet a dirty pickup truck without giving them a two-fingered salute. lol

Now that you mentioned cars, there is also the Jeep nod. I no longer drive one, but when I owned a Jeep Wrangler, for some reason I was expected to nod at anyone else driving one. The first few times someone gave me the nod I was clueless. But I eventually caught on. It wasn't for those fancy Grand Cherokees, either. This was strictly a Wrangler thing.

Yes, the twins are called Jack and Diane! The dishwasher selfie was hilarious. I love all the fantasy elements like the movie watching and the handing out of the cupcakes.

I love how the older daughter is ALWAYS on her phone. So true.

I wonder if "I'll get the wig" was ad-libbed.

• Love 3

Bow: "You know what I realized last night?"

Dre: "That you can't drink half a bottle of wine in the tub and get out without help?"

Bow: "Bahahaha"

Not only was this exchange genuinely funny (and legit), but Rainbow actually laughed at his joke. Sitcom characters almost never laugh at little jokes, and I love it when they do.

"Zoe told me what you did. You sat on her bed. Who does that?!" Re-watch the scene of Bow sitting on Zoe's bed, it's so much funnier knowing it is off limits. 

• Love 12

Not as funny as last week, but a good episode. I could not stop laughing when Bow was like if you don't feel up to it and points towards her vagina.

Dre is so over top. His hysterical outburst at the Harriet Tubman play was crazy funny. As was the teacher telling him that she was history doctoral candidate as he kept hinting that he know more about Harriet Tubman because he was black.

I did like how they showed how his male boss and co-workers praised him for being late for caring for his kids and then dissed his female worker for the same act.

Dre's father cracks me up when he acts like the chorus. So he does live in the guest house.

Those kids are simply adorable.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

This episode had some more standard-sitcom elements than the previous ones, but I still loved it. Mostly because it shone a spotlight on a very real situation: husbands will do one little thing (that their wife does all the time) and then look around for medals and congratulations; and additionally, others outside his home (both men and women) will indeed give him special recognition for that. (The business meeting was painfully accurate.) So I loved watching it play out, and seeing Dre get at least a little comeuppance. 

Plus, as usual, all the great bits along the way. "I'm just kidding. We're the worst."

• Love 8

This episode had some more standard-sitcom elements than the previous ones, but I still loved it. Mostly because it shone a spotlight on a very real situation: husbands will do one little thing (that their wife does all the time) and then look around for medals and congratulations; and additionally, others outside his home (both men and women) will indeed give him special recognition for that. (The business meeting was painfully accurate.)

That one business meeting moment was just so perfect and one of the best bits of social commentary in less than 30 seconds that I've seen on TV in a while. 

There were some standard cliches but there were a lot of funny moments.  I loved how Bow was trying to get him to have sex with her while he was making his cornbread.  Seeing the groceries in the refrigerator had me howling.  He put the potato chips in there.  Equally funny was her freak out over the way Dre put the silverware away.  There's some real honesty there as well.  Help is wanted but there's little freedom for improvisation.  "Mommies want to be with their babies!"

• Love 4

I agree with someone above: This episode isn't as funny as last week's but it was still comedic. First and foremost--the musical selections in this show are so on point. I mean, the episode opened with Trick Daddy playing in the background. Also, Dre did the Nae Nae. The Nae Nae!

That Harriet Tubman argument was hilarious all the way through. From Dre's initial implications that Jack and Diane's teacher wasn't the best to teach about Harriet Tubman to his pissed off grumbling during the presentation.

ETA (because I watched the episode again as I got ready for work): It cracks me up that Dre knows exactly how petty he can be. When he VO'd that next minute and thirty-seven seconds would be something he knew he shouldn't do, I cackled.

Edited by Mozelle

Yeah, there's the biker nod too. As in motorcyclist, not bicyclist; bicyclists are too intense to nod.

And there's the classic muscle car nod or wave. And the convertible wave. I guess humans just prefer their own kind, whatever they might be.

Bow: "You know what I realized last night?"

Dre: "That you can't drink half a bottle of wine in the tub and get out without help?"

Bow: "Bahahaha"

Not only was this exchange genuinely funny (and legit), but Rainbow actually laughed at his joke. Sitcom characters almost never laugh at little jokes, and I love it when they do.

I love Bow/Tracee's laugh. She laughed again at the end when they were talking about getting intimate after work. Those moments where she laughs were genuine and made me completely believe them as a couple. It didn't feel like a sitcom at all.

Agreed that this wasn't as funny, but it was still a good way to pass 22 mins. There were some genuinely amusing moments and there was definitely honesty. There was no right answer as it often happens. Of course Bow would like more help, but there is still a lot of little stuff that mothers and women like to do for their families. 

The meeting moment was so painful, and I'm not even a mom. 

It's hard for me to join the conversation here because I can't watch the episodes in real time (I didn't get to this one until last night!), but I read everything and totally agree with your thoughts on how great the writing and acting are.  We laughed a lot last night.  What I didn't see mentioned, though, that I loved, was when Rainbow was talking to Diane about her predictions of her children's futures and Diane's little retorts.  I laughed so much during the episode, I can't remember all three of them this morning, but I remember the first one:

"Zoe will marry well."

"Probably several times."

hee!

I love this show.  My favorite part  "Playing that back in my head, ma'am, you are doing the right thing" as the woman at the bus stop dials 911.

The woman and his response is what made that scene even better than most sitcoms who've done similar things.

I know that they want to address the idea of moms needing to juggle two jobs, but in the real world, most families in the Johnsons' income bracket would likely have some sort of help (at least someone coming in once a week to do the cleaning) - at least in my circle.  I also think they could have spent some time addressing the issue by having the kids do some of the work.  I mean, there are four of them, right?  And it could be funny...

• Love 1

I didn't like that they seemed to support the idea that moms really don't need or want equality from their partners, and that it actually is the natural order for the women to do all the home stuff while dad plays video games. I think that's a fantasy on the part of the males.

And yeah, I've seen some bullshit crazy incompetence from people new to doing what to me seem like basic household chores (stocking the refrig into chaos), but that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't learn, it just means they've been slacking off too long and need to get their acts together.

I loooooooved most of the episode, but the "return to status quo because gender inequality and doing all the work is actually what the moms want because they are crazy control freaks" ending really ruined it.

• Love 8

I didn't like that they seemed to support the idea that moms really don't need or want equality from their partners, and that it actually is the natural order for the women to do all the home stuff while dad plays video games. I think that's a fantasy on the part of the males.

And yeah, I've seen some bullshit crazy incompetence from people new to doing what to me seem like basic household chores (stocking the refrig into chaos), but that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't learn, it just means they've been slacking off too long and need to get their acts together.

I loooooooved most of the episode, but the "return to status quo because gender inequality and doing all the work is actually what the moms want because they are crazy control freaks" ending really ruined it.

Maybe, this family and other families just come to a realization that of what works for them. I never get upset about things like this because it is no shows job to speak for everybody. Just for the characters. So, in this case, I think they both learned what they feel comfortable with and works for them. Over the years, things like kitchen have become her space and she doesn't anyone messing with it. So, it's best if Dre does take a step back. But, through this exercise, Dre has learned how difficult it can be and how little recognition mothers sometimes get just for being a mom. I like that he appreciated it at the end and made sure the kids showed that they did too.

I had to live with mom as an adult because she had a hard time finding another job after she was laid off. She does a lot around my apartment and I appreciate it. Maybe sometimes I don't say it enough but I try to let her know. And she constantly wants to do these things but then every once in a while she goes off about how much she does compared to what I do etc. ( I do work two jobs from 8-5 and from 6 to around 10 so I don't have a lot of time to DO anything). At the end of the day, it would be a waste for me even try to cook, to the laundry, etc. because she wants it done her way. But, I try to help by folding clothes and preparing other things around the apartment so it's not on her. I think after going through this, Dre understand that he can't leave it all on her but also knowing when to get out of the way.

• Love 2

I know that they want to address the idea of moms needing to juggle two jobs, but in the real world, most families in the Johnsons' income bracket would likely have some sort of help (at least someone coming in once a week to do the cleaning) - at least in my circle.  I also think they could have spent some time addressing the issue by having the kids do some of the work.  I mean, there are four of them, right?  And it could be funny...

I grew up in a similar situation, and there's no way my mother would let an outsider come in to clean her house. Don't get me wrong, I think there's nothing wrong with it, and I have a housekeeping service myself. But for my mother to hire a housekeeper? No way. I agree that the kids should be helping out. My mother had five kids so, in her mind, she had five junior housekeepers. 

I like that they addressed the difference in treatment between fathers and mothers in the workplace. I've seen this first-hand, but with single dads versus single moms. Seriously, they'll give a guy a trophy for raising his own freaking kid. It's crazy.

• Love 1

I loved this - especially the woman in the business meeting.  I've been there.

But, the two of them are arguing about all of this, when at the same time they have a perfectly capable and available full grown adult in the house who could be taking up the slack.  If it was Grandma instead of Grandpa, you know she'd be pitching in.

Has Fishburne's character interacted with anyone but Dre?  Is he a figment?

(I'm distracted while watching so am prepared to be wrong)

• Love 2

Equally funny was her freak out over the way Dre put the silverware away.

Forks and spoons all willy-nilly.

I never watched Girlfriends, so I wasn't familiar with Tracee Ellis Ross's comedic work. She is so good. I also love that Bow is flawed, but not in the typical bitchy, nagging way. She's not always exasperated with Dre. They have their disagreements, but you never doubt that they love each other and LIKE each other. This is rare in sitcoms.

I loved when Dre said the whole dishwasher scene was like watching himself in a horror movie at the Magic Johnson Theatre. 

It surprised me that the whole class, including the teacher and moms, were happy he'd brought [liquor] store-bought cupcakes. I was expecting everyone to get sick from them, but I'm glad the show didn't go that route.

My favorite scene was at work when Dre got praised for being a dad, but the woman got reprimanded for being a mom. Just perfect.

The kids are so good. So funny when Bow says to Andre, "Wanna go hit a bunch of balls?" and he responds, "What does that mean?" His face and delivery were priceless. And then the scene where Dre gets the kids to suck up to Bow was hilarious. Loved Andre's shoulder touch and Zoey's awkward hug.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
It surprised me that the whole class, including the teacher and moms, were happy he'd brought [liquor] store-bought cupcakes. I was expecting everyone to get sick from them, but I'm glad the show didn't go that route.

I thought some kid would have needed them to be gluten free. 

• Love 1

Has Fishburne's character interacted with anyone but Dre?  Is he a figment?

(I'm distracted while watching so am prepared to be wrong)

Grandpa has spoken to one of the kids (at least one) so if he's a figment, he's been seen/heard by more than Dre.

Then he should get off his ancient duff and empty the dishwasher occasionally!  Or handle the little kids homework.  Or something.  Non-figments have to contribute.  Maybe a personal reminiscence of Ms. Harriet Tubman. :-)

• Love 1