Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

PLEASE NOTE: the pilot was made available early, so if you don't want to know about it before it is broadcasted on ABC, please wait to read this topic. Thanks!

A family man struggles to gain a sense of cultural identity while raising his kids in a predominantly white, upper-middle-class neighborhood.

• Love 1

I thought the pilot was pretty good, they had this sly, yet approachable humor. Your standard comedy fare, but poking more fun at some race issues. They call it "Urban" now, lol. Re; a promotion: "Wait...Did they just put me in charge of 'black stuff"? Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross are both so talented.

• Love 3

Yeah, "urban" has always been code for "black stuff."

One of the things I like is the absence of a laugh track. Woot! There were a couple moments where I did genuinely laugh--the "they put me in charge of black stuff?!" question as well as his first pitch for urban tourism. I found that to be a sly rebellion and I thought it was funny, pointed, and apt.

Some of the gags were kind of broad, so I'm hoping they work their way from the broad to more specific grievances (with humor, of course) (like Andre's first pitch idea).

• Love 2

So, I just re-watched the pilot preview, and I have a continuity question. Much of Andre, Sr.'s instance of the family not being "black-ish" starts because, or is exacerbated by, Andre Jr. wanting a bar mitzvah. Senior at one point says that Junior is 12 going on 13, but then later when they talk about the field hockey issue versus playing basketball, Junior says that he's a freshman in high school. 

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on there with the age/grade of Andre, Jr.?

• Love 1

Definitely liked it. Good catch on the Jr age thing- my son was oldest in his class and his bar mitzvah was in 7th grade. But there's no rule that when you have to mark the occasion (in fact, becoming a bar or bat mitzvah doesn't require you to do anything except turn 12/13). So he may just have decided that at 14 or so he "wanted" one after making some Jewish friends at school.

Edited by Ms5h
  • Love 1

Well, this show sure did get some stuff right! First of all it was funny, so that's the main thing a comedy needs to get right. But also, it was relate-able without being exclusive. For years my dad has referred to me as the "black...ish" one in the family. I made him watch this, and he is so much like Andre Sr, and even though I'm a girl, I had a very long Andre Jr./Andy phase where I liked stuff that my dad thought wasn't black enough.

I want to know more about the other members of the family. Are the younger ones twins? 

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Andre Sr got all of his lines from people exactly like my dad. Good to see ourselves on network TV again!

• Love 6

I laugh at how Lawrence Fishburne is playing Anthony Anderson's father when he's only nine years older.

It's like The Cosby Show! Phylicia Rashad is only ten years older than the actress who played Sondra, her daughter.

• Love 4

I liked it. It was pretty funny. The only part I didn't like was Andre telling his wife she wasn't really black. Not cool.

That part bugged me, too, but I think the show will approach that again.  The writing is strong enough that they can discuss it realistically and honestly.

I really enjoyed the pilot.  It's funny and it has a lot of potential.  The tour bus bit really had me cracking up

I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the show. Totally didn't think I would, which is what I get for pre- judging it, lol. I'll definitley be giving it a shot.

I did laugh at "did they put me in charge of black stuff"... Completely related to that!

• Love 3

The exact moment I fell in love with the show was when it looked like it was going a horribly predictable route of Andre making a fool of himself by walking over for a promotion someone else got, but instead we got "I'm in charge of black stuff?" A wonderful twist on the gag that really gives me hope that these writers know what they're doing.

• Love 20

As someone who lives in a chocolate city with a zillion black professionals who somehow managed to stay black, I'm annoyed by the ideas that making it means losing your culture and "the hood" is authentic blackness.

That said, I thought the show was funny. I wasn't expecting that. I'll be watching.

• Love 11
Dre, disappointed that Bow has already given Andre Jr. “the talk” because she thinks he’s too big of a prude to do it, decides to rectify matters by giving his son HIS version of “the talk.” But Dre soon finds himself wishing he’d left well enough alone when Andre Jr. starts to drive him crazy with non-stop questions about sex.

• Love 1

The only part I didn't like was Andre telling his wife she wasn't really black. Not cool.

By Andre's logic, Obama isn't black either in which case he shouldn't be all uppity about his children not knowing the first black president of the USA since there wasn't one. Ugh.

The pilot had its moments, but none of them laugh worthy. The second and third episodes should be more indicative of this show's staying power potential.

• Love 5

I liked this... I felt like the actors had good chemistry and I liked the humor and writing. I also had a problem with the "you're not really black" comment, and I was a little uncomfortable with the whole, "there's a right way to be black (and that's sticking to the stereotypes)" vibe, but I feel like that's the show's main story, discovering and discussing what it means to be black, so I'll continue to watch.

• Love 4

The only part I didn't like was Andre telling his wife she wasn't really black. Not cool.

My thoughts is he said his wife is bi-racial, Diana Ross and Barry Gordy are Tracee's  parents. I sure if this show was going to portray her as bi-racial, somewhere is Hollywood there is a"real" bi-racial actress.Referring to his wife as bi-racial was as unnecessary as saying she wasn't really black. That was not cool. But it's a cute show and if they avoid mistakes like this, it will be around.

• Love 1

I loved it. Still definitely felt like a Pilot though. Some jokes were set up, but then no follow through, or punchline. Feel like it still needs to find its footing, but hoping will have time to do so. No laugh track is always a plus to me. Everyone in the cast are very likeable and talented.

I am not generally a sitcom person. I've often wondered how anyone over the age of 18 can even stand to watch most of them. Can count on 1 hand the number of them I have been a faithful viewer of as an adult. But this feels more satire, than sitcom. More Curb The Enthusiasm than Growing Pains.

This show is being written by The Daily Show's Larry Wilmore so I am all in no matter what. I think he is so bright and clever, and will have a great take on race in the American middle class.

I liked it. It was pretty funny. The only part I didn't like was Andre telling his wife she wasn't really black. Not cool.

I actually thought that was funny as hell. Not to speak on, or for black folks, but that is absolutely something that is said in the black community. Has more to do w/skin hue, than whether or not interracially mixed. And definitely thought that line was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and sartorial, but not literal. And thought it was supposed to show the connection between the couple, and how at ease they are in "messing" w/each other. The shit you might say in your own home, and to your spouse, is way more direct and raw than normal-especially on race issues. But I could be reading way more into it than was meant. YMMV.

• Love 7

The exact moment I fell in love with the show was when it looked like it was going a horribly predictable route of Andre making a fool of himself by walking over for a promotion someone else got, but instead we got "I'm in charge of black stuff?" A wonderful twist on the gag that really gives me hope that these writers know what they're doing.

Yeah, I also found that scene hilarious, b/c I was expecting it to be predictable with Andre getting that promotion he was looking for only to put in charge of the Urban stuff.lol. I also like that there's no laugh track. I really hope the show does well. I don't watch a lot of today's sitcoms, but this appeals so far. I'm also liking the cast. Nice to see Lawrence Fishburne in a weekly sitcom. Also liking Anthony and Tracee as a couple.

Edited by Divagalore

My thoughts is he said his wife is bi-racial, Diana Ross and Barry Gordy are Tracee's  parents. I sure if this show was going to portray her as bi-racial, somewhere is Hollywood there is a"real" bi-racial actress.Referring to his wife as bi-racial was as unnecessary as saying she wasn't really black. That was not cool. But it's a cute show and if they avoid mistakes like this, it will be around.

No, that is Tracee's older sister Rhonda that is Barry Gordy's daughter. So Tracee Ross really is biracial. Her bio father is white.

• Love 7

Awful show. I like Anderson but this is a dud.  Is the point to promote racial division?  The lead says his wife is not really black, she's bi-racial, yet they refer to obama as the first black president.  Did they forget he is bi-racial.  

• Love 1

As a bi-racial person, I thought that part was funny. I've been told by black people that I'm not really "black", because I have a white mother and was raised by her side of the family. I just say "whatever" and move on. I try not to get offended by that stuff.

I'm also not a sitcom person, so I don't know how long I'll stick with it even though I found it funny enough.

• Love 2

As a bi-racial person, I thought that part was funny. I've been told by black people that I'm not really "black", because I have a white mother and was raised by her side of the family. I just say "whatever" and move on. I try not to get offended by that stuff.

Brown mom, white dad chiming in here: I laughed at the "not really black" bit too. Try telling my hair on a humid day.........

This show has potential. Cast has nice chemistry, and it's not mean spirited. I'll stick with it. 

• Love 6

My verdict: I loved it. It made me laugh more in five minutes than Modern Family ever has. Even though it's just the first episode and it's not "perfect," there were still some very funny and sweet moments.  As a Black woman, lots of things hit close to home, especially the "tour bus" bit, where the only Black person in a so-called "White" neighborhood is made to feel like they're on display and Rainbow's joke about her hair and her ass when Andre' accused her of not being "Black enough." The kids were cute without being annoying (for now). Loved the "hip-hop bar mitzvah." it was Andre's way of helping his son Andre' Jr, (aka "Andy") stay in touch with his roots while respecting his wishes.

The leads are perfectly cast. Anthony Anderson is hilarious as Andre. He's clueless on some things, but brilliant with others. Re the bitch who stole Andre's parking spot and flipped him off, if she winds up working at the firm and he became her new boss, it would be priceless. Tracee Ellis Ross is great as Rainbow, Andre's wife. She's a smart, independent woman who's the brains of the family. As "Pops" Johnson or "Big Daddy Morpheus," as I call him, Laurence Fishburne is a revelation. He's a great dramatic actor, but this show proves that he can bring the funny too, when he wants to.

Awful show. I like Anderson but this is a dud. Is the point to promote racial division?

Racial division has been around since long before this show and I don't think it could make it worse.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 14

I enjoyed it and will watch again because I agree that shows need a few episodes to find their groove.  When the family was discussing Obama, I swear Rainbow said Obama was white.  Did I mis-hear or mis-interpret?

I started to pause that moment so I could fast forward through it because I had embarrassing moments like that. I was like, oh no, I can't watch this! I'll skip this part. So I was happy it was the twist of him getting the job but it being "black stuff."

I actually thought that was funny as hell. Not to speak on, or for black folks, but that is absolutely something that is said in the black community.

I know because I'm black myself. Not mixed race but my cousin is. Someone deciding who is or isn't "black" enough annoys the hell out of me.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle

I thought it was enjoyable.    Of course being a pilot it has some things that need to be ironed out.   But I do like the cast, especially Laurence Fishburne, so look forward to giving the show a few more episodes to find its groove.

• Love 1

Laurence Fishburne is a revelation. He's a great dramatic actor, but this show proves that he can bring the funny too, when he wants to.

Hey, he was Cowboy Curtis on Pee Wee's Playhouse!

I enjoyed the show a lot. It reminded me of The Bernie Mac Show, which makes sense since Larry Wilmore was involved in that, too. I hope this show does well without Wilmore.

One of the things I like about the show is the casting, esp the kids. They're all very natural and charismatic. Yay! But everyone is good. I was a little apprehensive about Anderson because sometimes he annoys me in roles, but I liked his character.

Finally a good new show this season.

• Love 2

I stumbled on this episode so I missed the first few minutes.  The show was definitely funnier than I expected.  I had decided I was going to watch regardless because I find Anthony Anderson to be funny and generally enjoy Tracee Ellis Ross and Laurence Fishbourne.  I am in and look forward to the season.

However, I too was wondering about Andy/Dre Jr being 12 going on 13 in the 9th grade.  While it is totally possible/not weird, just thought they might have explained whether he started early or was skipped.  

And I also thought they were going to fake it out by Andre Sr not getting the promotion.  I do like that he was just placed in charge of "black stuff".

I would watch Laurence Fishburne read the phone book and I'm a big fan of Anthony Anderson, so I'll keep watching.  I loved Anderson in The Shield (Antwon Mitchell).  He's a great dramatic actor too.  I hope the show works out for him. 

• Love 1

Maybe this is because my parents joked about throwing a Black Mitzvah just as a fundraising efforts to recoup the costs of all the Bar/Bat Mitzvahs I attended in one year, but this seemed both funny and on-point. If Anthony Anderson called Tracy Ellis Ross "high yellow", I would have thought that they were just tape recording my family reunions. I'm not sure if it would be immediately laugh-out-loud in general (it seems like if this was more established, the promotion and bar mitvah/field hockey plots would be separate A-plots on different episodes). 

This feels like it's going to take the anthropological outsider viewpoint that Suburgatory started with, but with a three-generation household and a workplace, they will have more character-based storylines to flesh-out. Will definitely tune-in, especially if they keep focus on 1-3 characters an episode and use the other family members for quick jokes (though the voice over discouragingly implies that AA is THE main character and will be in every single episode).

• Love 3

Maybe this is because my parents joked about throwing a Black Mitzvah just as a fundraising efforts to recoup the costs of all the Bar/Bat Mitzvahs I attended in one year, but this seemed both funny and on-point. If Anthony Anderson called Tracy Ellis Ross "high yellow", I would have thought that they were just tape recording my family reunions. I'm not sure if it would be immediately laugh-out-loud in general (it seems like if this was more established, the promotion and bar mitvah/field hockey plots would be separate A-plots on different episodes). 

This feels like it's going to take the anthropological outsider viewpoint that Suburgatory started with, but with a three-generation household and a workplace, they will have more character-based storylines to flesh-out. Will definitely tune-in, especially if they keep focus on 1-3 characters an episode and use the other family members for quick jokes (though the voice over discouragingly implies that AA is THE main character and will be in every single episode).

I think that he is the main character, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the other characters won't have their storylines in the spotlight. Because Tracee Ellis Ross is on this, I'll mention that Girlfriends started off that way, too. Joan would directly address the audience when she was on screen, but the other characters had their on storylines away from Joan. 

• Love 1

I think this show has potential but definitely was not wowed. Not sure I laughed, either. But I'll give it a few more episodes. I like the cast. Hated it, though, when he made that first urban presentation that nearly cost him his job. What was he thinking? And on second thought, I did really like the bro-mitzvah and that did make me at least smile a lot. I rewound it a couple of times.

As for Andy, I think he likely skipped a grade as he's turning 13 at the start of a new school year, so he's just one year younger than normal. 

It wasn't necessarily laugh-out-loud funny most of the way, but I really enjoyed it and will definitely tune back in next week. (And I did laugh out loud at the Bro Mitzvah and some of Laurence Fishburne's lines.) Some of the "hood = black" and "carrying a book = 'acting white'" stuff troubled me--I know there are people who do think those things, but the show doesn't have to perpetuate them. Still, I like the overall premise. Growing up and finding yourself turning into someone different from who you always thought you were is really a universal theme, and the AA aspect is a variation on the theme that has never been fully explored on TV before. I also thought it was successful as a family show--they felt like a real family, and I found myself wanting to know more about all of them and their dynamic together. And all the acting was good, even the kids. Really looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

• Love 2

Not a bad pilot. I also liked the lack of laugh track, but I didn't find it particularly funny. Amusing in parts yes. I haven't really watched any sitcoms consistently in a long time so I'll have to take it slow. I'm interested on where they will go with it. 

Growing up and finding yourself turning into someone different from who you always thought you were is really a universal theme...

Yes to that. And also the truth that parents theoretically want their children to go their own way and be strong & independent -- but in practice find that what they really want is for them to choose the same things their parents did. That's been a theme in literature and art for centuries, it's the eternal story of one generation being succeeded by another. This is a fresh (for TV) take on that.

• Love 3

I know because I'm black myself. Not mixed race but my cousin is. Someone deciding who is or isn't "black" enough annoys the hell out of me.

If I offended you I apologize. That was not my intention. I thought I was trying to explain my take on where the joke was trying to land, more so than a comment on whether it is appropriate that it ever be said, to anyone. I apparently did a piss poor job of explaining myself, so again no offense was intended.