Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

It surprised me that the whole class, including the teacher and moms, were happy he'd brought [liquor] store-bought cupcakes. I was expecting everyone to get sick from them, but I'm glad the show didn't go that route.

The schools here don't allow homemade anything. Everything has to be purchased and individually wrapped and labeled. They're so afraid somebody might get sick and sue.

I think Gramps has his own place in the guest house? Presumably he cleans there and does his own laundry, etc. We've seen him stop by for a few meals, but he eats at home, too - he was entertaining a lady friend in this most recent episode. So while it would be nice for him to offer to fill the dishwasher, I don't think he's some mooch because he doesn't. If he actually lived in their house, it would be different. I'm looking at you, teenagers!

• Love 4

Has Fishburne's character interacted with anyone but Dre?  Is he a figment?

(I'm distracted while watching so am prepared to be wrong)

Nah. Remember in episode two (?), he told Bow that he "Morgan Freeman'd" Zoe when she needed someone to listen to her teenage woes.

One of my favorite scenes was where Dre was talking to the teacher about who is best qualified to discuss Harriet Tubman.  At one point he says "Because I'm... (points to top of hand) and you're.... (points to palm of the hand)".  This had me dying, as it's something my grandmother would do when talking about white folks vs black folks. 

• Love 5

One of my favorite scenes was where Dre was talking to the teacher about who is best qualified to discuss Harriet Tubman.  At one point he says "Because I'm... (points to top of hand) and you're.... (points to palm of the hand)".  This had me dying, as it's something my grandmother would do when talking about white folks vs black folks. 

My goodness, yes! I know folks who STILL do that when in mixed company.

• Love 2

I know that they want to address the idea of moms needing to juggle two jobs, but in the real world, most families in the Johnsons' income bracket would likely have some sort of help (at least someone coming in once a week to do the cleaning) - at least in my circle.  I also think they could have spent some time addressing the issue by having the kids do some of the work.  I mean, there are four of them, right?  And it could be funny...

What's interesting is that if dads take TOO MUCH time off, they face something similar to the so-called "Mommy Penalty," at least according to this Globe and Mail article. 

Quote from the article: My immediate boss, who is 15 years older than me, has a very traditional nuclear family, with a wife who stayed home, and he went home whenever. When I say I have to pick the kids up at daycare, he doesn’t quite understand why I am doing this or why my wife isn’t doing it.

I wonder if that'll be addressed if the topic comes up again. 

Some parents don't make their children do housework; mine didn't (which may account for why i'm so messy!). They may each be responsible for keeping their own rooms clean and that's it, and their rooms do look nice and neat. There's probably a cleaning service or lady who comes in once a week because keeping up that house, a medical practice and caring for four kids would be too much.

Also, Pops is old school. He will be there to offer advice to the kids, do guy stuff with his son and grandson, like last week on the park bench, but he most likely isn't going to be helping with homework and it's doubtful they need him to.

Can someone explain what I "Morgan Freeman'd" her means?

• Love 2

My husband and I have had the same argument at least once a month (him not pitching in, expecting a reward for feeding the kids after I come home from "saving lives", etc), so this episode was perfect. There is a double standard and so many things that moms do behind the scenes that are just expected. Loved the conference room as well.

I do want it addressed why the teenagers aren't helping out more with the cooking and cleaning. A lot of working parents don't have in home help and are doing everything after coming home. Some may have a cleaning service once every 2 weeks but that's pretty much it. I'm glad that Bow and Dre are so hands on (especially Bow who mentioned that she needs to do the little things so she doesn't feel guilty about being a working mom).

• Love 2

I find it ridiculous that Rainbow is still doing laundry for the oldest girl AND folding it and putting it away in her drawers. WTF? She will probably end up one of those girls who moves into the freshman dorm and has no clue what to do with the washing machine. Teach your kids basic life skills and make them learn how to take care of themselves! Laundry, ironing, dishes, and how to change a tire are things that everyone should know how to do. The two older kids should be helping out around the house at least minimally.

I was surprised that everyone got excited about storebought cupcakes. I thought they were gasping because there were kids in the class who can't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or sugar!

• Love 1

I find it ridiculous that Rainbow is still doing laundry for the oldest girl AND folding it and putting it away in her drawers. WTF? She will probably end up one of those girls who moves into the freshman dorm and has no clue what to do with the washing machine. Teach your kids basic life skills and make them learn how to take care of themselves! Laundry, ironing, dishes, and how to change a tire are things that everyone should know how to do. The two older kids should be helping out around the house at least minimally.

I was surprised that everyone got excited about storebought cupcakes. I thought they were gasping because there were kids in the class who can't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or sugar!

I only had to keep my room clean when I was growing up, and no, I didn't do any laundry until I moved into my dorm.  It wasn't hard to learn how to use a machine.  You just throw the clothes in, add detergent, insert change (they switched to a debit system later on) and press a button.

• Love 2

I agree that laundry is not rocket science which is why the two older kids should be responsible for taking care of their own clothes. Rainbow is working full time, making dinner, packing lunches, and doing the grocery shopping. Laundry for six (possibly seven) people plus all the sheets and towels in the house is a lot of extra time and effort for Rainbow to take on by herself when at least half the people in the house (Dre, Zoey, and Junior) could be helping with that by simply doing their own laundry. Two or three less loads of laundry for Rainbow to wash, iron, fold, and put away!

I know the sitcom cliche is putting in so much soap that the room is flooded with bubbles and burning an iron shaped hole in your shirt, but it's not difficult. I started washing and ironing my own clothes when I was ten (my dad is the one who taught me the proper way to iron a button down shirt) and I never once burned myself or any of my clothes or flooded the first floor with bubbles!

• Love 2

I thought it was funny, but it really was more a gender issue not as much anything to do with being black.

My husband always wants the extra praise for doing small stuff, we call it gold staring it. He always wants his "gold star".

I have a big problem with the way the show really is making Bow seem like a terrible physician. I'm sorry, but she was totally halfassing her job. It is almost like the show is somehow purposely disrespecting the healthcare field after Diane's ER visit last week and Bow's terrible bedside mannor this week.

Laurence Fishburne was awesome this week. Loved his little one liners.

• Love 3

Uh, Africa is not the cradle of civilization. That would be the Middle East between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. That map was showing the migrations of humans out of Africa thousands of years earlier. It's ironic that a complaint about failing to give due credit fails itself to give due credit.

As for Rock and Roll, that's a blend of R&B ("black" music) and Country ("white" music), so credit goes to both races there. The first big Rock and Roll star however, was neither Little Richard nor Jerry Lee Lewis, but Bill Haley and the Comets.

Edited by TeeVeeStevie
  • Love 1
I have a big problem with the way the show really is making Bow seem like a terrible physician. I'm sorry, but she was totally halfassing her job. It is almost like the show is somehow purposely disrespecting the healthcare field after Diane's ER visit last week and Bow's terrible bedside mannor this week.

Seriously, maybe it's just because I watched The Mindy Project right before this but her answering the phone during her consult, staying on the call when she realized it wasn't an emergency, and then blowing off her patient was ridiculous and annoying. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I'm torn on this.  I always like to see competent women being professionally good at their jobs so seeing her have bad moments kind of irks that part of me.

But competent, on-top-of-it wife with a bumbling husband has also become an annoying cliche.  This show tends to err on the side of balance for the most part.  While Bow is probably slightly more together at home, we have seen her have some less-than-stellar parenting moments.  And since we've seen Dre have bad moments at work, I am forcing myself to roll with Bow having bad moments at work since all of it put together lends itself to an equal partnership. 

Frankly, I'm impressed that we see the wife at work because studies have shown that's rarer than we might think on TV.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

I was surprised that Rainbow blew off the patient, too, chiefly because she strikes me as someone who is very professional, but also because I specifically tried to sell this show to fellow disillusioned Mindy Project fans as one that shows a competent woman physician.

I'll give her a pass this time in hopes that she doesn't get Lahiri-ed over the course of the series.

Still loved this episode.

I'm torn on this.  I always like to see competent women being professionally good at their jobs so seeing her have bad moments kind of irks that part of me.

But competent, on-top-of-it wife with a bumbling husband has also become an annoying cliche.  This show tends to err on the side of balance for the most part.  While Bow is probably slightly more together at home, we have seen her have some less-than-stellar parenting moments.  And since we've seen Dre have bad moments at work, I am forcing myself to roll with Bow having bad moments at work since all of it put together lends itself to an equal partnership. 

Frankly, I'm impressed that we see the wife because studies have shown that's rarer than we might think on TV.

I've been saying for years, when was the last time someone has dared put a sitcom on with a less than on top of it(aside from the controlling/nagging trope) wife? It was surprising to see her take that phone call, but kind of refreshing. If we as women want the freedom to do or be anything, we have the freedom to be not so great at whatever it is that we do.

I had a coworker tell  me recently that she was never allowed to do housework, cook or even go in the kitchen to get food while growing up. The housework and cooking was because her mom thought they would mess everything up and create more work for her mom in the end. Apparently, it's not that uncommon. It must have been nice.

• Love 3

They've done it again. Just when it seems like Black-ish can't get better, it does. What's great about it is that it deals with certain hot-button issues in a comedic way, whether it's racism or sexism. As a rule, women are expected to be the caregivers and we've been taken for granted as a result, as shown in the scene when the male execs gave Dre props for just taking cupcakes to school despite being late to work while the mom who was just a minute later than Dre because she was taking care of her sick kid got dissed for it. Bow's dismissiveness towards her patient wasn't her finest hour, but given Dre's perpetual crazy, this time I'll let it slide. In their own ways, Dre and Bow lived up to the episode's title of "Crazy Mom"; Bow, for being such a control freak that she postponed one of her appointments to rearrange the fridge, but in fairness, after the way Dre stocked it-including putting applesauce with real apples- I couldn't blame her; and Dre, for his delusions of grandeur. Dre being Dre, he lets even the tiniest bit of praise go to his head in record time. Amazing what snacks from the liquor-store can do for one's popularity with grade-schoolers, hence "Cupcake Man."  Even crazier was Dre's undermining the teacher and his heckling the Harriet Tubman impersonator. It was a grade-school assembly, not a college dissertation.

Dre's gotten too used to talking back to the screen at the Magic Johnson Theater (which was cleverly used throughout the episode), otherwise he wouldn't have shown his ass, humiliating Jack & Diane in the process. Then again, that's typical of a guy who thinks that loading the dishwasher on his own is a selfie-worthy event, as if that even begins to compare to all the hard work that Bow does despite having a full-time job herself just like Dre. To Dre's credit, he did get the kids to show their appreciation, with mixed results. Between the twins craving a bland breakfast, Junior's wanting to spend more time with Bow and Zoe actually inviting Bow to sit on her bed, no wonder Bow was suspicious. Bow saw through Dre and the kids' scam, but she appreciated it anyway. Leave it to Pops to put everything into perspective. Pops may be divorced, but he knows better than to take a woman for granted and to dis a woman's looks to her face. 

Edited by DollEyes

I had a coworker tell  me recently that she was never allowed to do housework, cook or even go in the kitchen to get food while growing up. The housework and cooking was because her mom thought they would mess everything up and create more work for her mom in the end. Apparently, it's not that uncommon. It must have been nice.

I had a similar mother. She complained about how I didn't want to do more chores or how I didn't want to cook from her, but everytime I would even try to do chores, she would either redo them or get annoyed like Rainbow did with Dre. It's a contentious issue between us because I love to cook, but not to her taste and she won't admit how she hates other people in her kitchen. 

• Love 1

My understanding of dap is that it can include just the fist bump. It can build from there, of course, into something more intricate and practically choreographed (what Dre did with his assistant in the premiere episode).

That Key & Peele bit still has me cracking up. I tracked down the genesis of that skit. Apparently, it was inspired by Obama's greeting with Kevin Durant when he met with Team USA just before the London Olympics in 2012. 

I've never heard of a "fist bump" before i moved here from the islands.  The same movement was  always a daps.  It was usually done by the rasta men, but then became more mainstream later on.   It's one level of acquaintance above a nod.

Poor Junior, getting wiped out on the basketball court and getting a crotch in his face.

I was a little taken out of the show by that. I would think that any boys’ club would have age-appropriate groupings.

I think I read that he lives in the family's guest house, but the show hasn't made that clear.

It’s explicitly stated in Crazy Mom.

Dap:

obama-dap2.jpg

The first time Obama and Michelle did the fist bump, the racist idiots at Faux Noise called them “terrorists”. For a month, any time I saw 2 people do a fist bump, I told them they were terrorists too.

My wife is black and I’m about as pale as they come. My nephew-in-law was ordained about a month ago. As we were leaving the reception, I asked him and his dad to “give me a dap”. That cracked them up!

• Love 1

What's great about it is that it deals with certain hot-button issues in a comedic way, whether it's racism or sexism. As a rule, women are expected to be the caregivers and we've been taken for granted as a result, as shown in the scene when the male execs gave Dre props for just taking cupcakes to school despite being late to work while the mom who was just a minute later than Dre because she was taking care of her sick kid got dissed for it. 

Not only did they nail the situation, but they nailed the tone of it. Dre strolls in, deferential, but not apologetic -- with a touch of self-satisfaction. He commanded respect from his boss. His female colleague was harried, guilty and meek in how she presented. Her body language implied she'd done something wrong, and was reprimanded for it. It absolutely nailed the dynamic between how men and women feel about their child-rearing responsibilities. Brilliant.

The show is using Lawrence Fishburne really well. He had some laugh-out-loud moments, especially in the theater: "He's going to die soon," as well as his description of women's "cartoon princess voice" when they're trying to pretend everything is OK. As others have said, really great social commentary there (especially because it's true!).

• Love 4
The first time Obama and Michelle did the fist bump, the racist idiots at Faux Noise called them “terrorists”.

Haha! We called it the "terrorist fist jab" for several weeks after that happened. They thought it was some secret code handshake like the Illuminati or whatever. 

The first time Obama and Michelle did the fist bump, the racist idiots at Faux Noise called them “terrorists”. For a month, any time I saw 2 people do a fist bump, I told them they were terrorists too.

My favorite news quote about Obamas fist bumping was some dumb reporter going on about how close and in love the Obamas seem and how great it is that you often you see them "fisting each other" in public.  Oh sweetie...that word doesn't mean what you think it means...

Edited by Indy
  • Love 11

I too enjoyed this episode. The nod is real! As a Black woman, I rarely do it. However, my husband does it. I speak to everyone, no matter what race. I do admit that Black folks tend to speak a bit more than any other folks to me. You can tell the non-southern Whites in my area by the way they look when you speak. They give you that "do I know you look?". I love this show. This episode was the best one so far.

• Love 1

I really liked that this episode addressed the double standards for moms vs dad. My only quibble is that Rainbow was shown to be unable to relax. Most moms I know, even the type A personalities, would welcome an extra ten minutes to sit on the couch and read a magazine, take a bath, go get a pedicure, etc. Don't get me wrong - I TOTALLY understand her OCD nature. If someone had put potato chips in my refrigerator and left vegetables on the top shelf, I would have reorganized everything too. And you can't have forks and spoons all willynilly in the silverware drawer! I just hated that she said she missed doing ALL of those things. There are definitely things she could relinquish to Dre and the kids without feeling unneeded. If the older kids would do their own laundry and pack their own lunches and Dre would load/unload the dishwasher, that would take a nice bit of Rainbow's workload without making her feel useless.

I really liked that the show clearly showed how mothers are expected to do it all, even if they work full time as Rainbow does, but any time a dad lifts his finger in the slightest, people act like he just cured cancer, won the Nobel Peace Prize, and erased the national debt all in one fell swoop.

• Love 6

Fun episode! I'm rewatching it now, but The Nod as shown was really a chin jut. If they had called it The Acknowledgement Gesture of Some Sort, I'd feel better.  ;)

I lived in Samoa for a while and they sometimes raise their eyebrows in greeting or to indicate "yes."  No smile, no vocalization. It threw me for a while but then I realized when I got back to the U.S. that I had started doing it and people were looking at me waiting for a damned response.

Edited by lordonia

I'll confess I have no idea why the refrigerator stocking was so bad (except putting potato chips in there), but I am going to write it off as being a third worlder with a very low tech fridge. I did get the joke though so that's good.

Mostly because, like the dishwasher and the silverware, everyone has their own way of doing it.  For me, certain things should be in certain drawers and not just tossed in there all willy-nilly like.  Like this morning, I discovered half of a bell pepper in a baggie on a shelf behind the orange juice..WHY my DH put that there instead of in the drawer where the veggies go, I have no clue.  Doesn't bother him but I had to put it where it was supposed to go or it would have driven me batty.  

• Love 2

Someone just tweeted a link about the history of dap. I'm a kind and sharing soul, so here y'all go: Five on the Black Hand Side: Origins and Evolutions of the Dap. An excerpt:

The dap originated during the late 1960s among black G.I.s stationed in the Pacific during the Vietnam War. At a time when the Black Power movement was burgeoning, racial unrest was prominent in American cities, and draft reforms sent tens of thousands of young African Americans into combat, the dap became an important symbol of unity and survival in a racially turbulent atmosphere. Scholars on the Vietnam War and black Vietnam vets alike note that the dap derived from a pact black soldiers took in order to convey their commitment to looking after one another. Several unfortunate cases of black soldiers reportedly being shot by white soldiers during combat served as the impetus behind this physical act of solidarity.

Such events, combined with the racism and segregation faced by black G.I.s, created a pressing need for an act and symbol of unity. The dap, an acronym for “dignity and pride” whose movements translate to “I’m not above you, you’re not above me, we’re side by side, we’re together,” provided just this symbol of solidarity and served as a substitute for the Black Power salute prohibited by the military.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 4

I think of it as an efficiency issue:  when I open the fridge or a cabinet, I want to know where to look for what I want, and not have to hunt all over the darned thing.  The willy-nilly/unlabeled approach also tends to result in a lot of food waste in my household. 

OTOH, I freely admit that I'm totally anal-retentive about this stuff!  :D

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 4

I thought I would hate this episode because of the whuppin topic, but I thought it was hilarious and the second best episode so far. All the kids are so wonderfully talented. I love all them. Little Diane is a star. Jack is so adorable. Zoey is beautiful and funny. Junior is sweet and sensitive.

Bow in the department store telling off the security guard was hysterical.

Dre telling Bow how Junior cried like Denzel and he cried like Whoopi in the Color Purple made me roll. Then he accidentally declares that Jack is his favorite. Hee.

Dre's coworkers defending Jack from a whuppin was great.

Junior scaring Jack and Pops telling him that he was never too old because he whupped Dre when he was in college.

Pops telling Diane that he should have had her when he was divorcing grandma cracked me the hell up.

Jack out cuting Bow and using his eyes like the Chupacabra. Bwah! 

Jack complains that his siblings are selling him out, even his twin. Diane responds, "Look friend, we are not identical." Bwah! "Dead man walking."

Pops telling Dre, "I told you to whuppin him, not crush his spirit." Too funny.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

As someone who has been whooped by her parents, some of it ...um, hit too close to home.  But it was certainly never this funny.  

I howled at "I told you to whuppin him, not crush his spirit!  He's a monster." 

• Love 2

I find myself barely watching tv anymore--almost none of the new shows has sparked more than mild tolerance from me, and even the new episodes of previous favorites are piling up on my DVR.  But somehow I'm anticipating each episode of this show, wishing Modern Family would be over already so I can watch it.

I think I love everything about it.  But I love Diane most.  And the writers ("private little beating booths!"/"What should I wear to the whoopin'...white 'cause you're whuppin' virgin ass?").  But Diane more.

Edited by some1105
  • Love 4
As someone who has been whooped by her parents, some of it ...um, hit too close to home.  But it was certainly never this funny.

Agreed! I always wished my parents would have gone the "disappointed" route instead. Our cut off age was 14, so Junior would not have been in the clear just yet. 

Wow. This episode was hilarious and very well done.

I loved how Dre's very diverse colleagues commented on how most of them were spanked, how they felt they were better off for having been spanked, and then recoilled in horror at the actual possibility of little Jack being spanked ("He's our favorite!")

Homeless Jack with the dog (because he wasn't whooped) and Homeless Jack without the dog (because he was) had me rolling.

Pops' exit lines are always golden, especially saying that crushing Jack's spirit made Dre the monster and then realizing that Diane had absorbed his message a little too well.

Diane is queen. Every single time she is onscreen.

Now this is how you tackle an extremely controversial (super hot button in mommy/daddy circles!) topic with honesty, heart, humor and self-awareness. It was very real, not preachy, yet IMO sensitive and unambiguous about the final message.

Take note, Mindy Project writers!

Edited by pookat
  • Love 5

I too was whipped as a child. I adopted my son when I was 21, and he was 11. I didn't take whippings off the table, but I mostly did the I'm disappointed in you type of punishment. I may have whipped him 1 time, and I didn't feel good about it. I used to wonder why my Mom said it was hurting her, just as much at it hurt me. It does hurt. It hurts very much.

Not to justify my whippings, but I had/have a very sarcastic mouth. I staged my 1st ptotest in pre-school. I threw all her money out of the window, I bit the dog, and a horse. On top of the fact that I was very, very, intelligent, I was walking, talking, and potty trained before 1. What I'm saying is I was born 20 years old. I was a handful for a single 19 year old college student.

About that protest, seriously, if I'm not sleepy, you can't make me take a nap. Those wimpy 3 year olds just caved in and fell asleep!

• Love 9

I too was whipped as a child. I adopted my son when I was 21, and he was 11. I didn't take whippings off the table, but I mostly did the I'm disappointed in you type of punishment. I may have whipped him 1 time, and I didn't feel good about it. I used to wonder why my Mom said it was hurting her, just as much at it hurt me. It does hurt. It hurts very much.

Not to justify my whippings, but I had/have a very sarcastic mouth. I staged my 1st ptotest in pre-school. I threw all her money out of the window, I bit the dog, and a horse. On top of the fact that I was very, very, intelligent, I was walking, talking, and potty trained before 1. What I'm saying is I was born 20 years old. I was a handful for a single 19 year old college student.

About that protest, seriously, if I'm not sleepy, you can't make me take a nap. Those wimpy 3 year olds just caved in and fell asleep!

You bit a horse...that's not a story a lot of people can tell LMAO

• Love 1