Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

I'm still confused about what Rainbow actually does. When she took Diane to the hospital, she made it sound like she was an anesthesiologist but in Crazy Mom, she had a consultation with a patient in her office and this week she performed a surgery that saved a guy who was underwater for 20 minutes.

Ha, I loved Charlie punching Josh. That is the risk you take when you scare the crap out of people! But I also loved that Josh hid in the trash all day scaring people. You'd think everyone would have heard and avoided that trash can.

I love that Dre loves Halloween so much. What's not to love? Candy, costumes, and parties! The Jackson Five costumes were awesome. ITA that Pops should have been there to be Joe!

Once again, Charlie is hilariously inappropriate with boundaries, pouring himself a drink and then making a mess in the microwave.

• Love 1

This felt like a rejected Modern Family script (Family Member loves Holiday. Family Member tries to get Other Family Members to enjoy Holiday, too. Other Family Members resist.) until Charlie punched Josh in the face. That took it to another level.

Charlie is a great recurring character -- emphasis on "recurring." The show is using him wisely thus far, and with great results.

The down side: no Pops. He could have been Joseph Jackson for the family Halloween outing!

Although seeing Laurence Fishburne as a musician with an afro might have brought back uncomfortable memories of a certain previous role of his...

I love how the show has already gotten to the point where the writers trust the actors to sell lines that aren't really jokes on paper. "Oh look, an idiot in a trash can" falls pretty flat when you read it, but Anderson's gleefull delivery makes it gold.

• Love 5

I love that the Charlie character is used judiciously; a little goes a long way. Josh is an ass, so you can't blame Charlie for taking the opportunity to punch him in the face when warranted! Speaking of punching, Bow's reaction to the "intruder" Josh was great.

Dre's laziness? Hilarious. The fridge cam that he checks upstairs from his iPad is pretty genius.

My favorite part was Dre trying to kill that blow up Halloween thing at the end and the subsequent popping up behind him. Hee.

I missed the last 10 minutes, did Dre figure out he was being pranked? 

Dre knew they were planning on doing the home invasion prank because he heard Bow talking about it w/the kids while opening the fridge (remember he has a fridge cam!). In retaliation, Dre had Josh and Charlie pose as masked intruders. As Josh entered the house, Bow clocked him in the face.

I am loving the hell out of this show. Everything is just pitch perfect. I loved when Dre went out to kill the wacky wavy inflatable arm guy and when he turned around the guy popped back up. I also loved Bows line "Stupid Twins" after the twins pranked her. Loved how the twins didn't want to lose their feet to Diabetes.

• Love 2

I also cracked up when Bow and the kids were watching Dre on the camera and she started to breakdown about how great it was for them to help her prank Dre, they did not know how hard it was lose to him year after year. The kids looked at her like she was losing and Junior asked if she was alright and she composed herself. It is the small moments that help sell this show.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

I am loving the hell out of this show. Everything is just pitch perfect. I loved when Dre went out to kill the wacky wavy inflatable arm guy and when he turned around the guy popped back up. I also loved Bows line "Stupid Twins" after the twins pranked her. Loved how the twins didn't want to lose their feet to Diabetes.

The "Stupid Twins" had me dying! I had to rewind it and listen again. It was all in the line delivery.  I have twin girls. I see myself saying that in the future.

Yeah, I feel like the show just doesn't really care to be consistent with her actual career. All they want are moments of her in blue scrubs. Because if I recall, in the pilot, Dre VO'd that she was a pediatric something or other. Then in the episode when she took Diane to work, Bow made it seem like she was an anesthesiologist. Now she's talking about emergency surgery on an adult. Which is it, show?!

Anyway, I love the running gag about diabetes. When Dre made breakfast in "Crazy Mom," Pops was like, "Oh, chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast? What's for dinner? Diabetes?" and now the kids in this ep are concerned about getting diabetes. And Dre blames it on their "hippie school." Ha!

I almost died laughing when that damn inflatable wavy thing popped back up after Dre "killed" it. Just the juxtaposition of it waving its arms behind a dejected Dre was a great site gag. 

• Love 1
It is the small moments that help sell this show.

Agreed! Like when: 

• Bow asking why the kids couldn't take care of her when Dre told her he's a terrible caregiver and that she'd have to go in a nursing home!
  • Dre telling Josh and the coffee-scorched co-worker they should get to the hospital and that he'd delay the staff meeting for them!
  • Dre saying black folks don't ever go looking to find out what made the strange sound. 

Love this show!!

I laughed so hard when Charlie popped Josh... and then Josh had actual statistics showing 88% of "bros" don't like to be startled and the other 12% think it's "messed up!"

Also loved Diane's little do-rag she was wearing at bedtime. My mom used to wrap my hair the same way. Nice small touches.

• Love 4
I almost died laughing when that damn inflatable wavy thing popped back up after Dre "killed" it. Just the juxtaposition of it waving its arms behind a dejected Dre was a great site gag.

I totally expected Dre to make a joke about how a black man couldn't even properly kill a white man on his own front lawn.

• Love 1

Charlie, Bow, and Junior were the MVPs this episode.  I died when Charlie punched Josh, and after his description of Dionne Warwick. 

Special kudos to the boss, though.  His "Outstanding" when Josh pranked Dre's assistant and "I love publicly humiliating employees as much as the next guy" were perfectly delivered.

Edited by ribboninthesky1

Another great episode. So many little moments and lines that you have to rewatch for. I liked the grapes running gag, Dre trying to kill the decoration, Junior's introspection, Charlie and Dre talking who they know, Josh getting punched twice, and more. Loved the Jackson 5 costumes and ending scene.

I am not keen on Charlie. That type of annoying character gets old very quickly for me so I'm glad we haven't seem him a lot. I don't mind Josh as much because he was hit twice in this one episode. I wouldn't have minded if Bow had hit Charlie and made him clean the microwave. 

• Love 1

This was great. My laughs started when Dre high-fived the fake hand sticking out of the cauldron.

I loved the flashbacks to previous pranks. Dre and Bow bringing home the "baby" and then dropping it and stomping on it? Hilarious! Dre (with help from the kids) pranking Bow into thinking he was, in Jack's words, blowing up their marriage was also great. I thought Zoe's prank on Andre was too mean, but that was a great pratfall from Andre.

My favorite exchange:

Dre: Your poker face gives away more than an episode of Oprah's Favorite Things.

Bow: I knew it! Secret Oprah fan! Yes!
Dre, serious: Yes I am. I miss her every day.
Bow, whispering: Don't you love her?

Loved their Jackson Five costumes. I was a little worried that we wouldn't see the entire family, just Dre, so I was very happy to see them all dressed up.

Loved Dre making the sound of a shotgun to scare the intruder, though of course he knew there wasn't really an intruder. Also outstanding was when he was checking the surveillance on his iPad and came to the living room, screaming, "Big black man!" but it was him.

Such a wonderful show.

• Love 2

Re-living the episodes through all your comments in here is giving me the giggle fits at work.

Dre trying to kill the decoration was the funniest thing. I liked the Oprah exchange too.

I wish I had paused the screen so I could see who was on the whiteboard list. I saw Obama was at the top. Hahahaha.

My favorite exchange:

Dre: Your poker face gives away more than an episode of Oprah's Favorite Things.

Bow: I knew it! Secret Oprah fan! Yes!

Dre, serious: Yes I am. I miss her every day.

Bow, whispering: Don't you love her?

This is what makes me laugh the most. They'll be having a convo about one thing and then have these little asides.

• Love 3

I wish I had paused the screen so I could see who was on the whiteboard list. I saw Obama was at the top. Hahahaha.

Barack

M. Angelou

Miles Davis' kids

Darryl Phillips

K.D.

H. Berry (before Oscar)

W. Smith (back in the day)

Andre 3000

Scott J

Jackie Joiner-Kersee's brother

B Rhymes

Mike Tyson

Iverson

George Forman III - VI

The Rent is Too Damn High Guy

Condi Rice

M. Jordan

• Love 14

Yeah, I feel like the show just doesn't really care to be consistent with her actual career. All they want are moments of her in blue scrubs. Because if I recall, in the pilot, Dre VO'd that she was a pediatric something or other. Then in the episode when she took Diane to work, Bow made it seem like she was an anesthesiologist. Now she's talking about emergency surgery on an adult. Which is it, show?!

I'm starting to think it's going to be a running gag in itself if her specialty changes every week.

Barack

M. Angelou

Miles Davis' kids

Darryl Phillips

K.D.

H. Berry (before Oscar)

Andre 3000

Scott J

B Rhymes

Mike Tyson

Iverson

George Forman III - VI

Condi Rice

M. Jordan

Scott J is? Unless they meant Scott [comma] J. 

Also, who is The Rent is Too Damn High Guy? 

I don't like being out of the loop. 

• Love 1

Oh thank you for that list, paulvdb. I don't know who all the people are, but it's still funny. I do know The Rent Is Too Damn High Guy. Well, I don't KNOW him like Dre and Charlie, but I know about him. For those who don't know, here ya go.

I think that is one of the most beautifully hilarious things I have ever seen or heard. I wish I could still buy a t-shirt. 

ETA: Yeah, if it was Scott [comma] J, I was thinking Jill Scott. But so strange, all the others are letter then last name.

ETAA: Oh man!!! He's running again and I can get a t-shirt!!!!  Wait, that t-shirt is just too damn...what, too obvious? 

Edited by Iamsweetdee

Scott Joplin?

When I typed Scott J into the Google search box that was the first suggestion, but according to Wikipedia he died in 1917, so there's no way they could know him. The other Google-suggested people were not black.

Seriously guys what does the white board list mean? I missed it.

It was the tag at the end with Charlie and Dre listing black people and then crossing them off if they knew them. They were all crossed off. 

Then Dre said "Dionne Warwick?" and Charlie said she was a generous lover.

Edited by ExplainItAgain

Bow is seriously encroaching on Tami Taylor as the woman I most want to be when I grow up.  

ETA:

George Forman III - VI

This might be my favorite part of the list.

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 2

It was the tag at the end with Charlie and Dre listing black people and then crossing them off if they knew them. They were all crossed off. 

Then Dre said "Dionne Warwick?" and Charlie said she was a generous lover

Also, Dre and Charlie were hoping to dispel the stereotype that all black people know each other. But alas, the white board of black people proved that we may indeed all know each other! LOL!

• Love 2

Can't forget about Ray from Accounting and "Greg n' dem"...from Long Beach!  I agree that using Charlie judiciously is best, but he nailed his scenes in this one. 

Hahahaha, I forgot about that exchange. "No wait, I went to their barbecue a few weeks ago..."

• Love 2

I don't like being out of the loop.

I was going to suggest that there be a separate thread for Cultural References. I know I miss some of the modern references, but then they'll drop some older ones that I wonder if younger people caught.

• Love 1

Barack

M. Angelou

Miles Davis' kids

Darryl Phillips

K.D.

H. Berry (before Oscar)

Andre 3000

Scott J

B Rhymes

Mike Tyson

Iverson

George Forman III - VI

Condi Rice

M. Jordan

OMG! I can't breathe! This list is awesome. Thank you so much for compiling it. 

• Love 1

When I typed Scott J into the Google search box that was the first suggestion, but according to Wikipedia he died in 1917, so there's no way they could know him.

Oh, I know that he died long ago. I was half-joking, though I do like your idea that they even know black people who died before they were born.

Another thought is that it's an inside joke, maybe someone who works on the show.

Barack

M. Angelou

Miles Davis' kids

Darryl Phillips

K.D.

H. Berry (before Oscar)

Andre 3000

Scott J

B Rhymes

Mike Tyson

Iverson

George Forman III - VI

Condi Rice

M. Jordan

You are my internet hero. Thanks for posting the list. It really is even funnier now. My coworkers are wondering why I'm cracking up in my office.

My favorite lines (and it's all about Tracee Ellis Ross's delivery):

Dre:  Big news!  I found a way to save Hallowe'en.

Bow:  That's great!  I found a way to save a guy that was at the bottom of a pool for 20 minutes.  But, but you go.

(after Bow punches Josh in the face, he dazedly pulls off his mask and looks around):

Josh:  You have a lovely home.

Bow (completely confused but still automatically following social niceties):  Thank you so much.

From the whiteboard list, who is Darryl Phillips?  I don't recognize the name.

Edited by mikem
  • Love 1

When Charlie came around the corner, I was like, "Oh Lord."  But he was hilarious in this one, too.  He has crazy eyes and as soon as he locks them on you, I feel like you would get the feeling that you made a huge mistake getting his attention.

• Love 2

I figured it was the name of a regular guy.  I didn't think every name on the list was someone famous. 

My favorite lines (and it's all about Tracee Ellis Ross's delivery):

Dre:  Big news!  I found a way to save Hallowe'en.

Bow:  That's great!  I found a way to save a guy that was at the bottom of a pool for 20 minutes.  But, but you go.

(after Bow punches Josh in the face, he dazedly pulls off his mask and looks around):

Josh:  You have a lovely home.

Bow (completely confused but still automatically following social niceties):  Thank you so much.

And not just the way she delivered the lines, her body language and facial expressions are gold.  I fell out at the end, when they're in the Jackson 5 costumes, and you see Tracee nodding her head to some kind of beat.  I couldn't tell if she was trying to make her afro bounce a little or what, but it was hilarious. She's really in her element with comedy.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

And also the way she joined in with total gleeful abandon on the "you thought you killed a baby!" victory dance, while all four kids were just as stupefied and appalled as... well as you would be if you thought you'd just killed your baby cousin. (That's almost too horrible to type.) I love that she is not the spoilsport mom who stops people from having fun.

• Love 2

I liked Bow referring to Dre as her "prank bitch" or something like that when she got all worked up over pranking him. In real life, it would be a moment a child would remember forever: Mom's uncharacteristic reaction and language when she thought she'd gotten the best of Dad.

Bow is awesome. Regardless of her "doctor of all trades profession" (though on her doctor coat it does say anesthesiologist so maybe she intubated the drowner really quick and gave him meds to prevent brain damage?), she is hilarious and not a nagging wife like a lot of sitcom moms are.

I love this show. I buy them all as one big family because they act like one. Junior is my favorite, down to him being so adorkable (his ranting about the Legos and Dre telling junior that Sophie wouldn't have his number).

• Love 1

I laughed so hard when Charlie popped Josh... and then Josh had actual statistics showing 88% of "bros" don't like to be startled and the other 12% think it's "messed up!"

Dancing With the Stars had a guy in a scary mask sneaking up and scaring everyone.  Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air) popped the guy.  That made Charles' reaction even funnier.

There's a back actor/singer/dancer named Lacy Darryl Phillips (http://laaperformingarts.org/?p=145)...  That might be who they were referring to.