Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelorette in the Media

• Start Topic

Isn’t that what she said to Arie in her first encounter?  She gave him a ring and said it?  Either way it’s an annoying phrase.

• Love 7
On 5/12/2018 at 7:42 AM, LBS said:

Isn’t that what she said to Arie in her first encounter?  She gave him a ring and said it?  Either way it’s an annoying phrase.

She also said it before Arie went in the house to meet her family.

• Love 1

Yeah, Jake looks nice.  I also like John the software engineer, Joe the grocery store owner, Garrett the medical sales rep, and Rickey the IT guy (I love his smile).  I'm just tired of seeing jacked up "personal trainers."

Becca seems nice and she's looks ok but I don't get much of a spark from her, so I'll check in periodically but I won't watch much.   

(edited)

“Let’s do the damn thing” So fakety fake sounding—an impulsive comment on her part,  probably, and now we are all assaulted by the very self-conscious repetition of it in every single marketing possibility. It’s also the kind of phrase one might say when faced with an unpleasant thing, like a root canal, or retaking the SATs.

Whatever—Mr MML has come to dislike her so much just based on the commercials that we will skip this season anyway, as we did with Nick.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3

That is the trouble with using some kind of catch phrase on this franchise. They will take it, beat it into the ground then run it over several times before stomping it to death. It made her seem kind of fun and wild when said once. It is losing it's charm on the 200th time. I think that is also why a contestant that is well liked (see Arie for example) ends up hated by the end of their lead season. The show takes one aspect of them, the part they think we liked, and that is all they focus on.

• Love 8

The tag line was lame then and still is now (she overused it in her Ari season) and I think Becca is really boring.  They’re trying (understandably) to make her compelling after Ari rejected her post-proposal, but I’m sure not seeing any spark in Becca.  The super-pro-Becca women from Ari’s season seem like faux friendships who want screentime.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Thorkim said:

I agree with you.

Me too - That lipliner is not her friend.  Here eyemakeup is too heavy handed, but IMHO its the lipliner that makes her look alien. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I listened to the podcast, and I have such profound sympathy for that woman.  She had ZERO to gain by going public, but something in her just needed to get the story out.  Steve was fine for an interviewer that doesn't usually do stories like that.  You could tell a lot of it shook him up and threw him off.  But he did better than most journalists, as few have even a fraction of the knowledge of the franchise that Steve has.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

I just listened to the Reality Steve podcast with Meredith and I was deeply disturbed. Meredith's season of the Bachelorette was my favorite because of the true and beautiful love story between her and Ian. I remember her on Bob's season and in her season being vivacious, talkative, full of personality. It's clear she has been through a really difficult life since then - the assault, the breakup with Ian, the death of both of her parents, alcoholism, an abusive marriage, and all of this seems to have really taken its toll. She said she still drinks. The interview is about an hour long. She actually composed herself really well during the discussion about the assault, but as the interview went on, it seemed like she was really out of it and I wondered if she was on any substances. She said she still loves Ian. She is apparently doing well at work (about to become a catering manager at the restaurant) and loves the place she lives in Portland, so maybe she was just speaking slowly because it was a hard topic, but I couldn't help but feel like she's just a shell; it was depressing. Reality Steve treated her kindly and it seemed he didn't want to take advantage of her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Christi said:

How are they going to spin this Garrett stuff? She is a liberal....this is going to get weird?

My guess?  They won't talk about it all unless he does something on the show to make it a story.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, sistersledge said:

Newsflash: not everybody is a liberal

There's a difference between not being a liberal and liking social media posts that are offensive. One of the posts he liked implied border agents should literally throw undocumented children over a wall - that's offensive and someone liking it says something about them as a person.

Also Becca is known to be liberal, so someone who is competing for her heart and liking these sorts of things may not be the right person for her (that's up to her to decide, of course)

• Love 22

Honestly, we shouldn't be surprised that in-depth things like political beliefs aren't discussed or explored in these relationships. They are together only a few days over weeks and then get engaged. SURPRISE. 

I read the GQ article with Lauren and Arie and it was odd. Turns out the thing that halted the couple's involvement was the interviewer mentioning something Becca said on the ATFR show - that Lauren wouldn't push him and be his equal. They hadn't watched it and were upset. Sounds like blaming the messenger. Arie definitely still doesn't see where he did anything wrong but I found interesting that he said the big unedited scene was indeed edited - they left out where producers told him to go back inside or talk more with Becca. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Honestly, we shouldn't be surprised that in-depth things like political beliefs aren't discussed or explored in these relationships. They are together only a few days over weeks and then get engaged. SURPRISE. 

I think they are, they're just too boring or controversial to be shown on camera.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I think also Garrett possibly presented himself as someone he’s not. From the SECOND they introduced him with that Chris Farley impersonation I could tell there was something off about him and he gave me bad vibes. Then he orchestrated that whole minivan with props to win Becca over and act like this is the life he wants but then he actually said to the camera that it was a joke so she’d see him as serious but he doesn’t want a minivan. If night 1 you’re setting up an image that you are NOT and don’t WANT just because you KNOW that would win her over, he’s not only disingenuous but creepy and manipulative. I’m sure the guy could go a few weeks without the need to express that he thinks “anchor babies” should be tossed over Trump’s imaginary wall, etc.

• Love 12

I'm glad I'm married because if any potential suitors took a deep dive in my IG likes they would be very concerned about my 10,000,000 likes on various kitten accounts.   

Me: Oh I'm so glad you got the final rose

Joe the Grocer: (looks up from phone) Care to explain why you follow (looks back down and does a double take) 35 Kitten accounts, 3 Teen Moms, RONNY from the Jersey Shore?

Me: <<laughing at a video of two kittens tumbling around>> 

• Love 21

I would love it if they'd update the show to give Becca access to the internet so she could Google these guys after the first night lol.

Sort of related - I have this memory that on a season of the Bachelor, there was a girl who was friends with him who went into the house as a plant. Did this actually happen or am I crazy? I LOOOOVE this idea. I would love it if an opposite sex friend was in the house as a plant every season. The drama would be amazing, not to mention the paranoia each season about who it is lol.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, LBS said:

I'm glad I'm married because if any potential suitors took a deep dive in my IG likes they would be very concerned about my 10,000,000 likes on various kitten accounts.   

I follow more corgi's than people on Facebook, as well as Morbid Fact Du Jour and I never really post anything. It's the only social media account I have. Social Media wise, it would be hard to dig up dirt on me. The last thing I liked was a post of a dog taking a little Double Decker bus down the stairs (think the stair master for dogs made to look like a DD bus). So maybe I have a thing against the elderly?

51 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I would love it if an opposite sex friend was in the house as a plant every season. The drama would be amazing, not to mention the paranoia each season about who it is lol.

I always thought that if I went on the show I'd pull him aside night one and say if he keeps me I will fill him in on everything the other women say behind his back. Spy to keep myself on the show until we travel somewhere good. If I fall for him, great, if not, at least I'll have some fun.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LBS said:

This is an interesting article about social media and how the Bachelor/ette shows should be updated to reflect it.  The author says that they should have time before the hometowns to take a deep dive into it.  

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/5/30/17408382/bachelorette-social-media-twitter-garrett-yrigoyen

I'm certain that producers know these things well before they make it to the final round of casting and prefer to drip feed this info with leading questions.

They probably thought he'd make the perfect villian for the exact reason many viewers don't like him. He's charming, but with an obvious insidious side that Becca will never get to see until they get closer to the end game.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I think also Garrett possibly presented himself as someone he’s not. From the SECOND they introduced him with that Chris Farley impersonation I could tell there was something off about him and he gave me bad vibes. Then he orchestrated that whole minivan with props to win Becca over and act like this is the life he wants but then he actually said to the camera that it was a joke so she’d see him as serious but he doesn’t want a minivan. If night 1 you’re setting up an image that you are NOT and don’t WANT just because you KNOW that would win her over, he’s not only disingenuous but creepy and manipulative. I’m sure the guy could go a few weeks without the need to express that he thinks “anchor babies” should be tossed over Trump’s imaginary wall, etc.

I think he's creepy.  Those super-wide eyes, huge grin and manic expression makes him look like he just snorted an 8 ball.  Like the notorious overdosing Chris Farley he seems so enamored with.  Idiot. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 10

I think they were just bad off color tweets. Garrett didn't write them. I certainly won't crucify the guy for that.
How many people liked tweets of Kathy Griffin holding Trump's severed bloody head? TONS of people, I am sure someone everyone knows liked them. How many liked tweets making terrible fun of Baron Trump? Many. Does it make them a bad person? No. Bad judgement? Maybe. But liking is a lot different that initiating them. JMO, of course and probably not a popular one.

• Love 12
(edited)

It's not just his liking the tweets, it's the fact he follows far-right websites and blogs. He's there to date Becca, who marched in the Women's March and voted for Hillary, but he "likes" offensive memes showing a model in hot pants to represent conservative women and a fat slob to represent a liberal woman. It's pretty crass, cruel and nasty, IMO. Nor would I put liking kittens in the same category.

It makes me wonder if he really likes/liked Becca, or was there with an ulterior motive of shaming or embarrassing her. I can't trust him, knowing how small-minded and mean-spirited he can be.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

It's not just his liking the tweets, it's the fact he follows far-right websites and blogs. He's there to date Becca, who marched in the Women's Marchand voted for Hillary, but he "likes" offensive memes showing a model in hot pants to represent conservative women and a fat slob to represent a liberal woman. It's pretty crass, cruel and nasty, IMO. Nor would I put liking kittens in the same category.

It makes me wonder if he really likes/liked Becca, or was there with an ulterior motive of shaming or embarrassing her. I can't trust him, knowing how small-minded and mean-spirited he can be.

I guess there are different opinions. I don't find him mean spirited. And because he is conservative and she is liberal....doesn't necessarily mean the demise of their relationship. 

My husband & I are conservatives. My husband is the kindest man you can meet. He thought a few of those tweets were pretty funny. Let's face it, there are tweets like that from the right and left, and I am sure Garrett is not the only Bachelor contestant to like some of them.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Arie definitely still doesn't see where he did anything wrong but I found interesting that he said the big unedited scene was indeed edited - they left out where producers told him to go back inside or talk more with Becca. 

Oh man is Arie dumb.  He doesnt seem to realize there is a difference between “unmiked and off camera” and “uneditted”.  Of course the producers were trying to get him to go back. That was TV gold and they were doing their job.  

He doesnt seem to realize that going text-dark, plotting to break your Fiance’s heart with a TV crew while letting her think she was coming for a romantic weekend, and telling her that he is pucking the other girl, after texting her BEHIND HIS FIANCES back is the problem.  Not that he stayed too long.  She would still have been the Bachelorette if you had been a little more honest with her before you showed up. 

And Arie, the fact that things worked out for her doesnt make you a good guy.  You plotted to break her heart in as public a way as possible. That makes you cruel. 

If you own it, and admit you were a bozo, people will get over it a lot faster   Telling the entire viewing audience the equivalent of “Calm Down”? Not going to win anyone over. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, nutty1 said:

I guess there are different opinions. I don't find him mean spirited. And because he is conservative and she is liberal....doesn't necessarily mean the demise of their relationship. 

My husband & I are conservatives. My husband is the kindest man you can meet. He thought a few of those tweets were pretty funny. Let's face it, there are tweets like that from the right and left, and I am sure Garrett is not the only Bachelor contestant to like some of them.

It would actually be interesting to see a Bachelor couple who have different political views but manage to love each other and respect one another's opinions. Couples like this do exist in the real world. For what it's worth, Becca was asked about it today and seems to be firmly on his side - she said people should watch and get to know the men for who they really are rather than some dumb things they do on social media (paraphrasing). 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, fib said:

And Arie, the fact that things worked out for her doesnt make you a good guy.  You plotted to break her heart in as public a way as possible. That makes you cruel. 

This! Instead of being apologetic and admitting he made a huge mistake he seems to think his happy ending justified everything he did. If he admitted the whole thing was fucked up and he never should have proposed to Becca and certainly shouldn't have insisted her break up with her on camera I would just ignore his existing instead of actively laughing when things blow up in his face.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

she said people should watch and get to know the men for who they really are rather than some dumb things they do on social media (paraphrasing). 

I actually agree with this. A person isn't the dumb meme's he likes but his actions. I don't actually like Garrett based on his intro package and first night, but I take liking meme's with a huge grain of salt because I have friends who would have liked some of those and they aren't terrible people who hate liberals or immigrants. They just think the image is funny. They don't actually expect it to be done. For as PC as our world is right now, there is also a "don't take everything so seriously" side, especially on the internet where nothing feels quite real because we aren't actually communicating with people in person.

It's actually all pretty interesting to me. Not just his liking that stuff but the reaction he's getting from the media and people on the internet who have never actually met him. It's a weird world we live in.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I actually agree with this. A person isn't the dumb meme's he likes but his actions. I don't actually like Garrett based on his intro package and first night, but I take liking meme's with a huge grain of salt because I have friends who would have liked some of those and they aren't terrible people who hate liberals or immigrants. They just think the image is funny. They don't actually expect it to be done. For as PC as our world is right now, there is also a "don't take everything so seriously" side, especially on the internet where nothing feels quite real because we aren't actually communicating with people in person.

It's actually all pretty interesting to me. Not just his liking that stuff but the reaction he's getting from the media and people on the internet who have never actually met him. It's a weird world we live in.

I agree with this.  And I think that if instead of "offensive" right-wing things, he had liked "offensive" left-wing things (like Kathy Griffin with Trump's head or Keith Olbermann's horrible tweets), we either wouldn't have heard anything about it, or we'd be hearing about what a wonderful guy he is from the people calling him awful now.  

• Love 15