Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelorette in the Media

• Start Topic

Anyone remember the photo company Olan Mills? Remember how EVERYONE seemd to look similar to all of the other portraits? Kind of a Stepford plastic look? That's what I get when I see these dudes...they all look basically interchangeable.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Canada said:

Wow, someone actually listed their occupation as "tickle monster".  And then described himself as "driven".  Driven to be a tickle monster?  Okay.

lol, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he's actually a doctor but the show being what it is, gave him that job title. I guess he likes to tickle people which to be fair is kind of weird but yeah, he actually does have a real job.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I think more than anything, I'm amazed that there is an Iggy, and also a Diggy.  

That cracked me up as well. Though it looks like Iggy may be Latino, so perhaps his real name is Ignacio.

(edited)
36 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I think more than anything, I'm amazed that there is an Iggy, and also a Diggy.  

Mind. Blown. 

Don't forget tickle monster.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That cracked me up as well. Though it looks like Iggy may be Latino, so perhaps his real name is Ignacio.

I've never met a Latino Ignacio who doesnt go by Nacho.  Though Texas is an awfully stereotypical place.  

22 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I think people are freaking out and overreacting, as usual.  People are entitled to their opinions, no matter what the PC police want us to think.  He doesn't want a man dressed as a woman.  That's his choice and his right.  Get over it.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Canada said:

I think people are freaking out and overreacting, as usual.  People are entitled to their opinions, no matter what the PC police want us to think.  He doesn't want a man dressed as a woman.  That's his choice and his right.  Get over it.

There are so many ways I could respond to this, but I'll just let my original comment stand.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, DEL901 said:

There are so many ways I could respond to this, but I'll just let my original comment stand.

There are so many ways I could respond to this, but I'll let my original comment stand too.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, roses said:

But is the engagement really a spoiler?  Nearly every season has ended with an engagement. 

It is, since they pull out those promos at the end to leave things up in the air, everyone crying and making it look so dramatic.

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Happy for Britt, she actually went away and had a normal life and met a normal guy after this show. I know some people thought she acted fake, but I thought she at least seemed genuine about being a nice person. I so wish she was the Bachelorette instead of Kaitlyn, that was my absolute least favorite season and Britt would have likely been a lot classier/less obnoxious. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2017 at 10:53 PM, SallyAlbright said:

I so wish she was the Bachelorette instead of Kaitlyn, that was my absolute least favorite season and Britt would have likely been a lot classier/less obnoxious. 

For my own purposes I wish Kaitlyn hadn't humped Nick well before FS, or at least that it wasn't revealed. If you want to say she was tacky/trashy and not a catch worth competing for, people will just accuse you being a slut shamer and end the conversation right there.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Bugs Meany said:

For my own purposes I wish Kaitlyn hadn't humped Nick well before FS, or at least that it wasn't revealed. If you want to say she was tacky/trashy and not a catch worth competing for, people will just accuse you being a slut shamer and end the conversation right there.

Yeah, that was genuinely not really an issue for me, they are all adults. It was her general manner that was inelegant to me - the way she talked, carried herself, and fumed the second anyone did not flatter her or agree with her. 

• Love 3

Former Bachelorette contestant Michael Nance has passed away.

He appeared on Emily's season. In all honesty, and despite that being the last season of Bachelorette I was really invested in, I do not remember him.

He was only 31, way too young to go. There is no word as to cause of death.

May he rest in peace.

13 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

Former Bachelorette contestant Michael Nance has passed away.

He appeared on Emily's season. In all honesty, and despite that being the last season of Bachelorette I was really invested in, I do not remember him.

He was only 31, way too young to go. There is no word as to cause of death.

May he rest in peace.

I remember Michael bc his best friends on the show were Jef and Arie. They were the few non-meatheads on the show and naturally gravitated to each other. Obviously, Jef and Arie were F2 and he left in E5 IIRC. He teared a little in the rain in his final words and I believe the tears were more for the end of his bromance with the 2 than for Emily.

• Love 1

That is so sad. I remember him being really close to Arie, Jef and Sean and he seemed liked by pretty much everyone in the house. It seems it was related to an overdose according to Arie's tweet. How sad.

8 minutes ago, FireFoxy said:

That is so sad. I remember him being really close to Arie, Jef and Sean and he seemed liked by pretty much everyone in the house. It seems it was related to an overdose according to Arie's tweet. How sad.

That's not confirmed yet based on the article making it clear that toxicology reports won't be back for weeks. I think Arie is assuming that was the cause based on the fact that he was a recovering addict and his death was ruled as non-suspicious and he was found unresponsive at his home. Granted that's my assumption too but I don't think it's confirmed. 

I didn't realize all these Bach contestants have died. I remember Eric and Gia, and vaguely remember Julien.

This is from this article:

http://dennismichaellynch.com/popular-reality-star-dies-age-31/

Nance’s death follows a string of young deaths associated with “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette.” They include:

Lex McAllister, 31, a “Bachelor” contestant from Season 14, who died of suicide by drug overdose in 2016.
Erin Storm, 41, a contestant in 2008, died in a plane crash in Los Angeles in 2016.
Eric Hill, 32, died in a paragliding accident in Utah in 2014. Hill passed on during filming of his season, prior to his own episodes airing.
Gia Allemand, 29, another contestant from Season 14 who also committed suicide back in 2013.
Julien Hug, 35, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 2010.

I googled Lex, Erin and Julien, and found these articles. Truly heartbreaking.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/bachelor-contestant-lex-mcallister-died-of-a-drug-overdose-w206012

http://www.eonline.com/news/763788/lex-mcallister-s-cause-of-death-revealed-former-bachelor-contestant-died-from-drug-overdose

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3505069/Former-Bachelor-contestant-dies-small-plane-crash.html

http://people.com/tv/bachelor-erin-storm-former-contestant-dies-in-plane-crash/

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/11/exclusive-bachelorette-julien-hugs-heartbreaking-suicide-note-if-lifes-not/

• Love 1

There have been more than 800 contestants in the franchise's 15 year history. Out of any population of that size, with that long a timeline, there are bound to be a few deaths. Sad either way, but not evidence of a Bachelor curse.

• Love 9

True.  

I think it shocks/surprises people because these contestants seem so young, happy, and healthy.  And aspirational with their beautiful clothes and perfect hair. 

Tht said, casting for drama would seem to increase the chance of some of the contestants having mental health problems.  

• Love 5

The late, amazing Madeline Kahn said in several interviews that after her first movie came out she took one look at herself on screen and, " went straight into therapy."  She said she could look back and see a pretty young girl, but at the time that was just not how she had thought she looked.  I'm not saying this is what happened in any of these situations, but I think of it, particularly when it's a young woman who was, perhaps, the prettiest girl in her high school and always beautiful in her own mirror with her head turned just so -- but maybe not measuring up as well as expected in three dimensions, up against a lot of other young beauties.  I'm just saying, there might be a connection with seeing yourself on TV and becoming disillusioned if your self-esteem was all based on being a Beauty.

On 5/31/2017 at 8:14 AM, Bugs Meany said:

There have been more than 800 contestants in the franchise's 15 year history. Out of any population of that size, with that long a timeline, there are bound to be a few deaths. Sad either way, but not evidence of a Bachelor curse.

But three have been suicides.  Round it to three out of 1,000 contestants, while the national suicide rate is about 15 per 100,000. 

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

That makes the suicide rate among Bachelor franchise contestants 20x the suicide rate of the general population.

• Love 1

I'm no mental health professional, so take this with a grain or two of salt, but I don't think the experience of being part of the franchise is driving contestants to depression/suicide, but rather some people with self worth issues being attracted to becoming a part of the franchise.  Again, I could be full of it, but I think they imagine a far improved life resulting from the show, and when it doesn't happen that way it causes them to spiral downward and feel even worse about themselves.  Regardless of the reason, it's very sad to see.

• Love 12

Not sure if this is where I put these links.....

This one is a post from Alex about Dean (and a very short video). I love the bromances that form on this show!

And this is an IG post from Dean. I am really loving this guy.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

This blog by Sharleen is interesting because she goes into the casting process and how there was no way they did not know Lee was racist.....

http://www.flare.com/bachelor/sharleen-joynt-episode-4-recap/

Ugh.  She is absolutely right, except no the producers are not good people.  They are doing all this knowingly for cash.  They excel at appearing to be good people.  They are probably sociopaths.  Which is why they cast Lee, and why they are almost certainly revving up his racist tendencies in their ITM and convos with him.  

I would totally watch the Dean and Alex Show. Why are we not being shown more of this positive and most entertaining stuff and less fake drama? What a beautiful post about losing his mother, Debbie :(

Unpopular opinion, I know, but I wish Sharleen would just go away--she is milking this franchise as much as anyone. 

• Love 9

I thought Sharleen was an opera singer.  Guess she's not getting many gigs, or she gave it up to stay glommed on to the Bachelor franchise.  In any event, I never could stand her.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I thought Sharleen was an opera singer.  Guess she's not getting many gigs, or she gave it up to stay glommed on to the Bachelor franchise.  In any event, I never could stand her.

Back in the TWoP days I used to argue with people who believed Sharleen went on the show to promote her career. In what universe does being on The Bachelor translate to cachet in the opera world? Looks like I was right.

I liked her outsider perspective blog at first but then she sacrificed her objectivity by becoming friends with Kaitlyn and Nick. Now she's just another insider.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, leighdear said:

I will criticize Alex's man-pony.  That hair style needs to be banished forever.  I actually think It's worse than a mullet.

Aw, I love his stupid man pony! His style in general is magnificent in it's stupid oddness imo.

• Love 5
(edited)

I like Sharleen and her perspective, inside or not, quite a bit more than I liked her as a contestant.
I can't imagine how useless I would find the views of some ex-franchise participant who could not make friends within in the franchise and who would not/could not react according to those relationships.

Of course, I mean this only in terms of their media presence. Which is the way that I actually know any of thse people e (ie: I don't know any of them in real life).

Edited by nicgwatchingtv
  • Love 2

Sharleen was a rare contestant in that she was educated, mature, well spoken, perceptive and attractive.  Basically, making her a white whale in a franchise full of guppies. 

She didn't burn bridges, embarrass herself or trash the franchise.   

But like Bugs, I cannot abide the individuals she now calls friends.  That lessens my respect for her, as they seem to stand for all of the things she appeared to fight against.   

Just my view from the cheap seats.  

• Love 5
On 6/24/2017 at 9:51 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Everything about this is my favorite thing ever.

Me too! Those 2 were already my favorites and now they're way above the pack. They need to show more of this stuff and less of the manufactured drama. 

I can't decide if he was just telling Dean a random fact or he was letting him know that he could predict Dean's next chess move by watching his eyes. Either way, they are adorable together. 

I will criticize Alex's man-pony.  That hair style needs to be banished forever.  I actually think It's worse than a mullet.

Aw, I love his stupid man pony! His style in general is magnificent in it's stupid oddness imo.

Yeah, I wouldn't ordinarily like that kind of hairstyle, but as part of his offbeat, goofy style, it totally works. He doesn't have a self-conscious, "I'm wearing this to be ironic" vibe to him, his style seems to flow naturally from his personality. 

• Love 3