Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E02: The Stories We Leave Behind

• Start Topic

(edited)

As NCIS mourns the loss of Ducky, the agents find comfort in working on one of his unfinished cases involving a woman whose father was dishonorably discharged from the Marines.

That was lovely ❤️

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 5
(edited)

I forgot what episode this was going to be, and then the minute Jimmy walked in Ducky's front door I realized and almost turned it off - wasn't sure I wanted to deal with this right now. But I ended up watching it anyways. Sobbed through most of the beginning, and then again at the end.

I wish they had brought back more of the old crew - I mean, I understand there is some bad blood with Pauley Perrette so I didn't expect Abby back, but had hoped for Gibbs or Ziva. Would have been nice at the end, as with Tony. Wouldn't have wanted any of them back sooner; it would take the focus off of Ducky.

It was a bit jarring how young they looked in some of those old flashbacks! I haven't watched re-runs in a while.

Also realized that Ducky was the only character on since the beginning - no other original character is still on the show.

Edited by secnarf
  • Like 11
(edited)

McHurry!

Thank you Brian Dietzen & Sam Williams for giving us one Tony/McGee moment. I was hoping for Gibbs, as I'm sure we all were, but still it was nice seeing Tony again. I love that Ducky's dog was named Solo, and I will certainly choose to believe it was a nod to David's for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. co-star Robert Vaughan. 

Overall, a nice tribute. 

Edited by Slade347
  • Like 16

A beautiful episode, with a beautiful message; multiple beautiful messages. 

Good to see Tony again. 

I'd like to think that Gibbs and Abbey were there too (at least for the funeral and celebration; not for the case). 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Slade347 said:

. I love that Ducky's dog was named Solo, and I will certainly choose to believe it was a nod to David's for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. co-star Robert Vaughan. 

I loved that too.  Adorable Corgi named Solo.  There are many viewers who would not get that reference, but it sure made us smile.  The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was must-see TV at the time and David was the one I had a crush on.  

• Like 12
(edited)

My Mom passed away in Sept. 2022. I have been trying to honor her by writing a story based on her life. She got me hooked on NCIS back around Season 5 or so. She would have loved this episode. The discussion at the end of "all we are is the stories we leave behind" made me bawl.

I'll still watch NCIS but it won't be the same show I got sucked into all those years ago. Ducky was a big part of that. It would have been nice if they brought Gibbs back but am hoping Harmon will give David his righteous due on the NCIS:Origins series this fall.

Another thing that worked well was the somber version of the theme song as the main title credits. Perfection.

Overall, one of the best episodes of the series. It also helped that they played Ducky's advice of "When you're going through hell, just keep going". That's from my all time favorite episode of the series.

Farewell Dr. Mallard. Thanks for everything David McCallum.

Edited by stonehaven
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I forgot what episode this was going to be, and then the minute Jimmy walked in Ducky's front door I realized and almost turned it off - wasn't sure I wanted to deal with this right now. But I ended up watching it anyways. Sobbed through most of the beginning, and then again at the end.

I wish they had brought back more of the old crew - I mean, I understand there is some bad blood with Pauley Perrette so I didn't expect Abby back, but had hoped for Gibbs or Ziva. Would have been nice at the end, as with Tony. Wouldn't have wanted any of them back sooner; it would take the focus off of Ducky.

It was a bit jarring how young they looked in some of those old flashbacks! I haven't watched re-runs in a while.

Also realized that Ducky was the only character on since the beginning - no other original character is still on the show.

If I’m not mistaken I did read an article that Pauley perrette had suffered a stroke.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I managed to keep it together until Tony showed up at the end.  I've never been a big fan of Jimmy but he was okay here.  I was inspired to dig this photo up from my files from when I got to meet David.  It's from 2-13.  David liked to help out NCIS (the agency) by appearing at demo events in DC.IMG_0420copy.thumb.jpg.9ec600b61adae14188546cdf4d312d07.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I wish they had brought back more of the old crew - I mean, I understand there is some bad blood with Pauley Perrette so I didn't expect Abby back, but had hoped for Gibbs or Ziva. Would have been nice at the end, as with Tony. 

I was surprised and disappointed that Gibbs didn't put in a brief appearance as Tony did at the end.  Mark Harmon is still listed as an Executive Producer of the show so he seems to be involved in it.  A cameo by him would have really concluded the tribute nicely.  

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
(edited)

As freeser wrote: I was surprised and disappointed that Gibbs didn't put in a brief appearance

This was a lovely episode, but it was really inexcusable that Mark Harmon's Gibbs didn't make an appearance.  Gibbs was certainly closer to Ducky than Tony, who made the effort to fly in from Europe.

Edited by buckboard
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2

Ohmigosh.  That was very nearly perfect.  

I loved that his farewell episode was also a case-of-the-week because Ducky was all about finding justice.  It wasn't only Gibbs with that single minded intensity.  I loved the exasperation with the flowers, and the acknowledgement that was how folks wanted to tell the team they were thinking about the team.  

Tony coming in at the end with Palmer and doing the best Ducky impression while telling the (hopefully) made-up most preposterous story was gold.  Tony and Palmer had a special relationship like Gibbs and Ducky, formed when Tony led the team after Gibbs left after his amnesia.  I liked that callback, that life and relationships continue, even though death and change happen.

Nicely done, show.  Brian Deitzen did well, not just playing Jimmy, but co-writing this difficult episode.  I liked that we saw this through Jimmy's lens, since other than McGee, Jimmy had the longest relationship with Ducky.  Even the McGee/Ducky flashback with the poison ivy had a Jimmy element.  

My only quibble, which feels more like a historic detail left on the table, was that we were originally introduced to Kasie as Ducky's minder and literary assistant.  When all the business came up about Ducky's cramped handwriting, Kasie should have played a bigger role to step in and say "I've got this, Jimmy and I can read it" rather than being relegated to reading floppy disks.  

It actually makes sense that Gibbs didn't come back for Ducky's memorial.  Gibbs is more of the emotional avoidance type than the come together for remembrance type.  I would have appreciated a coda, though, with Gibbs on a boat in some obviously Alaskan glacier bay, pouring a very expensive and tasty scotch overboard as he takes a sip from some fine crystal and gazes contemplatively off into the middle distance.  

• Like 13
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Well done  Brian Deitzen, and the rest of the cast and crew.  It was a well-written farewell to Ducky.   Solo looking so sad at the beginning when Jimmy walked back to the bedroom gave me my first tear.  Not surprised that Jimmy and Victoria adopted him.  

I know I'm alone in this, but I'm actually glad Gibbs didn't show up.   I will admit I was glad to see Tony, but it was a short scene.  And the idea of him buying a bowtie at Heathrow for Jimmy and then knowing how to tie it (because he is Anthony DiNozzo Senior's son).  

Well done NCIS.  

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Jimmy, sitting on the bed holding Ducky's hand. And that was just the beginning! I had to stop and make some tea.

Then the slow version of the theme song....stop and get a scotch.

Then.....Magee looking at the picture of him Gibbs and Ducky... had to go get the smokes (you know what kind😎).

By the end I was a snotty mess. Great tribute, RIP Ducky RIP David

• Like 10

It was a lovely tribute.  It seems a lot of thought and care went into picking the flashbacks which must have been quite some task considering the volume of work available.  The overall theme of the stories we leave behind was just so appropriate and so touching.  Great job!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)

On one hand Gibbs showing up would have made the entire episode about Gibbs on the other hand Gibbs not showing up made the entire episode about Gibbs.

It really should have been about Palmer’s relationship to Ducky since you know he is still on the show.    Gibbs showing up would have no point but to actually take away from the focus on Palmer and Ducky and make it 100% on Gibbs.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Lost respect for Harmon not showing up.  Gained a ton for Weatherly for his appearance.  Dietzen did a great job co-writing, and it was a lovely tribute.  Ducky will forever be missed.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Gibbs showing up would have no point but to actually take away from the focus on Palmer and Ducky and make it 100% on Gibbs.

I beg to differ - I don't think Gibbs showing up would have taken the focus away from Ducky.  Tony showing up only added to the story for me.  Tony was a plus and did not detract from the affection shown for Ducky. 

On another web site, I read an interesting thought.  They said that it would have been a nice finale of the story to have shown Ducky's burial from a distance.  We would have seen Gibbs and maybe Abby from a back view at the grave.  That way neither actor would have actually had to have been there in person.  Just a thought.....

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I think Tony showed up as much for Palmer as for Ducky. They did have a special bond. Wish they had shown the funeral service. We didn't need to hear Jimmy's eulogy, just a quick pan of the crowd. Be nice if Gerald (Ducky's first assistant) had been there. And then we'd see, in the very back, a silver haired man in dark sunglasses.

• Like 6

Re Gibbs, I think that scene where he apologizes to Ducky as a friend and the hug after showed just how much Gibbs loved Ducky.  And yes, he was a fugitive in the show's world so it would have broken the story line of mourning Ducky, to have to worry about Gibbs being caught coming to mourn his friend. JMO

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, freeser said:

On another web site, I read an interesting thought.  They said that it would have been a nice finale of the story to have shown Ducky's burial from a distance.  We would have seen Gibbs and maybe Abby from a back view at the grave.  That way neither actor would have actually had to have been there in person.  Just a thought.....

You beat me to it by 3 minutes.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, freeser said:

That way neither actor would have actually had to have been there in person.  Just a thought.....

Then people would bitch about the actors (especially Mark Harmon) not showing up even though they clearly wanted the characters there and could have filmed the scene in front of a green screen at any time.  Harmon's developing a prequel with young Gibbs, so it's not like he's retired and completely left the franchise behind either.

3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I suppose Gibbs sending the picture was his contribution…

He was also the executed of his estate, so he probably sent McGee his will.  Otherwise how would Parker know that Ducky wanted Donations sent you the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation in lieu of flowers. 

• Like 1

Loved this episode! At the end of last week, I thought I’d be a blubbering mess for an entire hour. But the team all pulling together to solve Ducky’s last case, along with tons of memories and flashbacks, was gold for me. 

yes, I bawled my eyes out from the minute Jimmy walked in the door until they cut to the squad room, and then started blubbering again at the end. I completely lost it when Tony walked in. Fifteen minutes after finishing and I’m still a mess.

Did I want to see Harmon? Absolutely I did. Not sure why he wasn’t there, even just at the end like Tony. And if for some reasons Gibbs couldn’t get to DC in time, he could have recorded a video or something. I dunno, it just felt wrong for him not to be there. But since that’s my only quibble, i can certainly let it go.

kudos to Brian Dietzen for writing such a wonderful tribute. We’ll all miss Ducky, And David. 

• Like 5

I really liked the slow/somber version of the theme.

I agree, for the reasons stated earlier, that  we saw just enough of Gibbs-the picture he sent, and and of course the flashbacks. I also agree that more might have been a distraction.

Given the circumstances when Pauley left, there was probably no way she would appear. I did like the black funeral floral arrangement, of course it was from her!

It was nice to see Tony, but at first I thought it was CGI/ photoshop/ ???. Based on the way he first appeared, it looked a little shaky, almost like a hologram. Maybe it was my tv...

All in all, a nice tribute. Well done show. Rest in peace Donald (and Ducky).

• Like 7
50 minutes ago, MDL said:

It was nice to see Tony, but at first I thought it was CGI/ photoshop/ ???. Based on the way he first appeared, it looked a little shaky, almost like a hologram. Maybe it was my tv...

I wasn't sure that was really Michael Weatherly either.  I didn't know if it was CGI/photoshop or just another actor. It wasn't until I saw his name in the end credits that I truly believed it was him. I think we saw enough of Gibbs in photos and flashbacks that he really didn't have to be there.

Anyhow, great episode.  Lots of emotions, enough humour to lighten things a little, and even an interesting case to finish for Ducky.

• Like 2
(edited)

But that kinda is my point.  On an episode that should 100% be focused on Ducky all we are talking about is Gibbs.

Does anyone really think a two min graveside scene would have been enough?   It would still be about wanting the story to be about Gibbs and Ducky and the rest of the cast could be sent home for the day.    Heck too many Ducky scenes when all people wanted to see was Gibbs.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1

I thought it was a lovely episode and farwell to Ducky and David McCallum.  I didn't expect Gibbs to be there but his presence was still felt.  I was never a Tony fan but I was glad to see him show up at the end and have his moment with Jimmy and McGee.  I even liked everyone coming together to wrap up a final case for Ducky.  Like others I shed a few tears as well from Jimmy coming in to the house and Solo's head on the carpet to the very end and watching the flashbacks.

• Like 10

As far as I know, that's the first time the opening sequence has been changed like that. Normally, I dislike shows that feature past clips, I thought the various trips down memory lane were appropriate.

And, wow, DiNozzo in the flesh! I thought for a second that Jimmy was imagining talking to him, but no. Not sure how this was kept a secret, but good for the NCIS for that one...

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Jeopardy15 said:

As much as I wanted a Gibbs appearance, I remembered that Gibbs is technically a fugitive. The FBI would have been camped out at the funeral waiting to arrest him. 

This has never made any sense by the show.  Isn't Gibbs in Alaska?  In the United States?  Where there are FBI and other federal agents, federal prosecutors, federal courts?  It's not like Gibbs fled to a non-extradition country. 

It's too bad Mark Harmon didn't make an appearance.  I thought for a second Gibbs would show up behind DiNozzo.  

• Like 5
(edited)

One little production detail I noticed that was really well done and a subtle effect was that in that penultimate scene when the whole team is in autopsy, gathered together before heading out to the funeral, there was no background music, just some sort of subtle background hum of the lights, or the body coolers, or some piece of equipment.  There were pauses between the dialogue where that silence was apparent.  I know when I'm deep in the shock of grief that same silence of the world just rings in my ears like that.  Where all I hear are my thoughts and feelings, and I don't want to hear that.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "The Body"--probably the best depiction of grief I've ever seen on a TV show--employed that technique very well.  It is subtle, but a really good depiction of grief.

Edited by HurricaneVal
Add missing words and itslicsy
  • Like 7

Damn it, I made it all the way to the end of the episode without crying, and then they put up the closing shot of David McCallum and the tears flowed.

This was a lovely episode and a truly beautiful way to say goodbye to Ducky.  My only complaint was DiNozzo showing up since I hate him.  But we needed someone from the very beginning and Michael Weatherly was the one who left without bad blood, it pretty much had to be Tony.

16 hours ago, Slade347 said:

I love that Ducky's dog was named Solo, and I will certainly choose to believe it was a nod to David's for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. co-star Robert Vaughan. 

Me, too.

• Like 2

I cried from beginning to end in this episode.  It was a lovely episode and tribute to Ducky/David.  My only complaint, as others have noted, was not having Gibbs there.  If Tony could fly in from Paris, Gibbs couldn't show up from Alaska?  If for whatever reason, Harmon didn't want to appear, couldn't they have at least alluded to Gibbs and Abby being at the funeral even if we didn't see them?  Although I did like the idea of seeing them from a distance at the funeral as was suggested. 

• Like 2

My question is, why did Tony fly in from Heathrow and Charles deGaulle Airport? Aren't they both International?

At first I thought they used another actor for Tony, and just used MW's voice until they focused in on him.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

It's too bad Mark Harmon didn't make an appearance.  I thought for a second Gibbs would show up behind DiNozzo.  

So did I and I'm very disappointed that he didn't. Especially after being so thrilled that Tony made a cameo. 

That moment in the beginning when you could see it slowly dawning on Palmer what has happened, to the point that he didn't even want to touch him because he already knew that he wouldn't find a pulse was wrenching.

• Like 5

That was a nice, well done tribute to a great character - Ducky was my favorite on this show and is the one character from this show who I believe is loved by everyone - I’m just a casual fan of NCIS, I watch it some but not as much as a few other crime procedurals, but I loved Ducky, may he Rest In Peace. Ducky was a legend who will be missed, and the show did a good job of focusing on the legacy he left and the way he greatly impacted NCIS and the others.    
It was fitting that even after his death Ducky helped them get to the truth with his final journal entry, and it was a nice moment when McGee realized where to find the evidence.    
The flashbacks and pictures of Ducky with everyone else was very well done, I remembered several of the flashback scenes that they put in, such as the one where Ducky and Jimmy were trying to escape in the woods and where Ducky told Jimmy he was traveling overseas and where they talked after Jimmy’s wife died and Gibbs and Bishop had left and Jimmy was struggling to deal with the change. They did a good job of selecting scenes from the past to reminiscence about Ducky, and I liked everyone gathering in the autopsy room before going to the memorial, it was only fitting that the episode ended down there.

As for Tony’s appearance, I never liked Tony at all for the most part due to his sometimes creepy and immature behavior around women and his picking on McGee and others at times, but he did have a good relationship with both Ducky and Jimmy, and so it was fitting that he showed up for Ducky’s memorial and had a scene with Jimmy. About Gibbs, I wished that one of them would’ve said something along the lines of that Gibbs would meet them at the memorial service, surely Gibbs would show up to the memorial of Ducky, who was probably the closest friend he ever had. It felt odd that no one mentioned his current whereabouts or even hearing from him in the wake of Ducky’s death. I agree with some others that if Gibbs had shown up in person it might’ve shifted the focus too much off of Ducky and onto what Gibbs is up to, but a mention of him coming in for the memorial would’ve been nice. It was the only thing that felt off about the episode.

Vance was tearing up a couple of times, that may have been the most emotion I’ve seen from the usual stoic Vance. And of course Jimmy shined, he’s had a lot of character growth over the years, from starting out as someone who was mainly just a side character for Ducky to tell his stories to and sometimes add comedy to now being a well developed character and a worthy successor to Ducky.

Overall a very nice tribute to a legend, glad they dedicated a whole episode to paying tribute to Ducky. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

It felt odd that no one mentioned his current whereabouts or even hearing from him

He sent Tim a photo of the two of them with DuckY. The camera zoomed in on the envelope from Alaska, so it was clear it was from Gibbs.

I disagree that had Harmon returned at the end, it would have distracted from Ducky. He didn’t even have to talk, just be there to support Jimmy and pay his respects. I don’t think anyone was clamoring for him to return and help solve the case. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

So did I and I'm very disappointed that he didn't. Especially after being so thrilled that Tony made a cameo. 

That moment in the beginning when you could see it slowly dawning on Palmer what has happened, to the point that he didn't even want to touch him because he already knew that he wouldn't find a pulse was wrenching.

Yes - Brian Dietzen did a great job in that scene. I also felt that he hesitated in checking for a pulse, because until he confirmed no pulse, Ducky wasn't really dead. And then, checking anyways, knowing what the result would be - not just the absence of a pulse, but that by checking, it would confirm Ducky's death.

I would have liked a Gibbs appearance, but right at the end, like Tony's - that way it doesn't take away the focus from Ducky/Jimmy. If done properly, it wouldn't have had to overshadow the story.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, buckboard said:

As freeser wrote: I was surprised and disappointed that Gibbs didn't put in a brief appearance

This was a lovely episode, but it was really inexcusable that Mark Harmon's Gibbs didn't make an appearance.  Gibbs was certainly closer to Ducky than Tony, who made the effort to fly in from Europe.

Unless there was a health reason, it’s damn near disrespectful of a long time co-worker and beloved character.

• Like 4

Took a day to work up to watching this.

The opening with Jimmy just about crushed me.  

All in all a fine tribute to the character and the actor.

So...  MY Ducky story.

Years ago, I was living and taking care of my mother who was showing early signs of Alzheimer's.  And one of the things we always did together was watch NCIS.

This night the team was all going to Ducky's and one of the team asked Gibbs "what did Ducky look like when he was younger?" and Gibbs replied "Illya Kuryakin"  and my mother suddenly said "Oh my God YES!"  She was a huge Man from U.N.C.L.E. fan back in the day and not put the two together until that moment.   Later she called another relative who she had watch MfU with back in the day and the sat chatting like school girls over this rediscovery.

This made me a permanent fan of his for this glimpse into her past and I will never forget that.

Farewell David McCallum, the joy you left behind will always remain

• Like 6
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

My question is, why did Tony fly in from Heathrow and Charles deGaulle Airport? Aren't they both International?

At first I thought they used another actor for Tony, and just used MW's voice until they focused in on him.

Both are international and probably have direct flights to DC (all 3 are major world capitals after all). So if Tony was going by way of Heathrow, I would expect it was either timing issues, or more likely he had some unavoidable business in the UK that necessitated the transfer there. Or maybe he was just milking the system to get more Air Miles or something. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

That was perfectly done.

19 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

He said he had a layover in Heathrow and went to shop at duty free.  Even if there's a direct flight from Paris, there are others with stopovers.

• Like 3
(edited)

Whether or not an actor got to return for this episode might not have been up to them.  Pauley might have wanted to return, but might not have been invited or hired to do so.  Other projects might have conflicted in other cases.  Mark Harmon would have been the only person having total choice of if he appeared or not.   Jethro wasn’t  very sentimental- as the clip showed- he didn’t tell Ducky about his family.  He wouldn’t have come back from Alaska.  
Tony was sentimental and his return felt right.  Ziva should have been with him.  Bishop would have been appropriate.  Abby would have been appropriate - but see my first paragraph in this comment. She’s probably been banned from the set. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 1