Type keyword(s) to search

75th Emmy Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

(edited)

note to the upcoming oscars:

this is what a well done in memoriam looks like: a beautiful musical performance that didn’t detract from celebrating those who have passed, whose faces and names we could both see and read.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, wonderwoman said:

this is what a well done in memoriam looks like: a beautiful musical that didn’t detract from celebrating those who have passed, whose faces and names we could see and read.

ITA, I hate when the choice is made to show the performer of the song over the images of the people we are remembering.

• Like 12
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

I read on Twitter he forgot to go. If true that's honestly hilarious.

He’s skipped award season this year because he’s about to start a show on Broadway. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

He’s skipped award season this year because he’s about to start a show on Broadway. 

Makes sense if he's preparing and in the mindset if his new role. 

Would have liked to see him with the cast for the end. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

note to the upcoming oscars:

this is what a well done in memoriam looks like: a beautiful musical that didn’t detract from celebrating those who have passed, whose faces and names we could see and read.

Exactly what I was about to post.  This is the most well done In Memoriam I can remember.  When they cut away to the musicians, they stopped showing the deceased, then stopped showing the musicians so you can see those who passed  when they returned to the In Memorian, rather than playing over each other.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Anthony probably set a few people off by mentioning David and D.B. considering the way the latter seasons (especially the final one) turned out.

And Succession finishes it domination.  They do get points for using Kendall's "I'm the eldest boy!" scene for the clip.  Classic!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Congratulations Succession for the well deserved win.  That said absolutely no surprises tonight.  OMitB, Maisel and LoU got shut out and the Bear is probably repeating next year.  I liked all the winning shows so can't complain too much.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, kittykat said:

the Bear is probably repeating next year

The Bear airs in that in between zone of eligibility, where season 2 aired during the Emmy voting period, so I could see it potentially falling off the radar next year if another comedic darling comes along. 

They really ought to bring back the "tape" system, in which the voters were required to watch tapes from each nominee. What's happening now is that the voters are only watching a handful of shows, leading to some very boring sweeps.

Admittedly, a lot of the winners tonight deserved their wins - but I doubt they all would have won if their competitors were widely seen by the voters.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

So, acting Emmys for Succession have been won by Jeremy Strong (for an earlier season,) Kieran Culkin, Matthew Macfadyen and Sarah Snook. I think all of them are deserving, but as the series has now concluded, it seems sad that Brian Cox, the actor who played Logan Roy, one of the truly great characters in television history, never won an Emmy for the role. (Cox did win an Emmy many years ago.)

• Like 2

I thought the show overall was pretty good.  I loved Succession and liked Beef and The Bear alot, so I'm ok with the winners.  But while I understand that the strikes delayed the Emmys and there was an intentional plan to schedule it as soon as possible after the strikes ended, it's unfortunate that it came so soon after the Globes and the Critics Choice because for the most part, the same people won for the same awards at ceremony after ceremony.  It took some of the surprise and spontaneity away from this awards show.

I will also never understand the seemingly endless need to give John Oliver and his team an Emmy or two every year.

But one of the highlights for me was seeing Brett Goldstein and Juno Temple present together.  It was a nice consolation prize after this last season of Ted Lasso.  Roy and Keeley forever! 

Actually, I thought the presenters in general were excellent.  There were lots of good choices for which casts to reunite, which two people to pair together, and which performer should present solo.  Two thumbs up from me.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

The Bear airs in that in between zone of eligibility, where season 2 aired during the Emmy voting period, so I could see it potentially falling off the radar next year if another comedic darling comes along. 

I don't think so (JMO, of course) because of the extraordinary quality of The Bear's Season 2, Episode 7, "Forks." The way tonight's Emmys were all about "Connor's Wedding," that will be "Forks" at the next Emmy Awards. BTW, I'd think that the Emmys will go back to their regular schedule with nominees named this June and the Emmys being awarded in September.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, that sketch didn't quite go over with the Steve Martin/Martin Short/Henry Winkler demographic!

Because it didn’t work—someone forgot the candy boxes they were supposed to fill up. So they thought it was as stupid as I did, or anyone else who knew how it was supposed to work.  😡

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 9
3 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'd think that the Emmys will go back to their regular schedule with nominees named this June and the Emmys being awarded in September.  

The nominees will be announced in June like normal but if IATSE strike I think we'll see the ceremony get delayed again. 

• Sad 1
(edited)

Seeing the Emmys on the heels of the Critics Choice Awards, I started out thinking something like: Sheesh, guys. Share the love/awards. Spread 'em around a bit more.
But then I realized having the same winners repeated serves to make the recognition genuine. 

The memorium was perhaps the best yet, IMO.
Some might think the focus on Matthew Perry was just gratuitous pulling at heartstrings, but his legacy of working to help others was not insignificant, and lives on in contrast to the obscene material wealth often associated with the field — and seemingly on display — even though many of those designer outfits were loaners. 
But did most watching know that?

5 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Honestly didn't expect them to actually follow through with Mama Anderson Timer. Not sure how I feel about that. Because anything that stops a Coolidge rumble (although I found the evil gay thanks hilarious) is fine with me.

5 hours ago, FoundTime said:

Yeah, it's a great gag concept but in execution it's rude and disruptive and not in keeping with the tone of an awards show, which is about affirming and lifting up excellence. Theoretically.

In the end, the execution of Anthony's Momma Interruptus was probably the best use of Momma yet. I mean, Jennifer Coolidge gets trolled every time, so who better to have Momma get into with? 
Maybe I'm seeing more than was planned or intended, but it seemed like one of those Can't We All Get Along moments. Of course, mileage varies WRT the origin of that phrase concept too. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

overall a pretty good show. moved right along, although anthony anderson’s mother got old fast. 

loved the reunions — proving that less is indeed, often more. 

great in memoriam.

and while the lucy sketch may not have quite worked, it put me in mind of something la times critic, mary mcnamara, noted re the overwhelming amount of streaming content: 

“Trying to keep up makes any normal person feel like Lucy and Ethel shoving chocolates down their shirts in that famous candy factory scene from “I Love Lucy.”

We all stopped trying to keep up long ago. Which is a problem. Does the Marvel universe truly expand if no one is there to watch it?”

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Like 4

While I loved the job they did with the In Memorium, I think the "tribute" to the 75 years of the Emmys (or was it just TV) was badly handled.  The clips were too short, not enough programs were mentioned, and they didn't identify the programs as they whipped through.  And maybe less jarring juxtapositions between clips, like going from Lucy is having a baby to suddenly planes flying into the Twin Towers.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

My thoughts:

I remember Ebon from NOS4A2.

Jennifer Coolidge can't act.  Stop rewarding mediocrity. That goes for White Lotus as a show, too.

Anthony's Mom should have yelled at him to put some socks on. Ick. 

The In Memoriam was well done.

How is The Bear a comedy? I still ain't gonna watch it.

Paddy Considine not being nominated for Viserys was a crime.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Jennifer Coolidge can't act.  Stop rewarding mediocrity. That goes for White Lotus as a show, too.

I don't understand the media/voters/critics fascination with her.  She's completely one note.  She was introduced to us years ago as Stifler's mom and her skills and range haven't improved at all.

I do like the show overall, I just wish it was more of an ensemble instead of a vehicle clearly for her.  So much of the story was about her, she should have been submitted in Lead Actress and not Supporting.

Of the actors, I would think only Aubrey Plaza and Meaghann Fahy deserved their nominations.  It's a complete joke to me that the woman who played the bitchy manager and the woman who played one of the prostitutes got nominated.  Their performances were not award worthy at all.

Of the men, I don't see anything remotely award worthy about the performances of Michael Imperioli or F Murray Abraham.  They got nominated because of their names.  I greatly disliked Will Sharpe's character, I don't think it requires a lot of acting talent to act sullen through the entire series.  Theo James gets a lot of crap for being a bad actor, but I thought he was the best of the WL male nominees.  His Cameron was funny and clueless and manipulative all at various times.

Nobody was going to beat Sarah Snook, but I wish Helen Mirren had gotten a nomination for "1923".  She was far and away the heart and soul of that show and fantastic in every moment.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 7/12/2023 at 3:21 PM, MicheleinPhilly said:

❤️ The Bear but its inclusion in the comedy categories perplexes me greatly. As does Jon Bernthal's nomination. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against him and think he's a terrific actor, but he had like 5 minutes of screen time in season 1. It was literally like a "check your phone and you'll miss him" performance.  

It's not a comedy , period.  This has annoyed me for years and it gets worse and worse. The best comedy category has become a joke. 

Great show not a comedy and should not have won this award. 

Also beef was such a mediocre overrated show right down to the cliche ending you could see coming all season.  It's like it had all the elements you'd expect in a good show but completely locked execution or any story actually interesting. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

I would have liked to see John Hamm and Juno Temple present together.

Happy for Succession and The Bear!  Ebon was so deserving. 

I think the reunions were all awkward. 

The audience at these shows have really become jaded and don't care about anything other than their time in the sun.  Many don't clap, they just sit there like a bump on a log.  Not very gracious.

Having said that, WAY too many standing ovations.

Momma - very irritating.

• Like 2

While the sweeps were predictable and a bit boring, overall I thought this was a great show. It moved at a good clip and I appreciated the reunions and some of the surprise presenters (most notably Christina Applegate and Marla Gibbs). I actually enjoyed Mama Anderson because I hate when people ramble on incessantly. I only saw a handful of those "so-and-so would like to thank XYZ" chyrons and wish more shows would do this/more nominees would submit lists. 

My favorite win of the night was easily Quinta's because I love her and Abbott and hey, someone who actually makes me LAUGH won a comedy award. As I said before, I love The Bear but it has no business being in the comedy category. Hell, I laughed more during Beef and The White Lotus than I've ever laughed during The Bear. 

How often does this Academy admit new members? Is it every year like the Oscars? I feel like some fresh blood in the voting pool would make things much more interesting. There was absolutely no reason for every single person that appeared on screen in The White Lotus to be nominated. I felt the same way about all of Ted Lasso's nominations (particularly in the guest categories.) 

Curious to see how 2024 shakes out given that several shows are retired/won't have aired and anything that does air will have a truncated season. 

• Like 3

I didn’t watch Succession (maybe someday), so I can’t say that all the accolades aren’t well deserved, but this was the last chance to throw a little love to Better Call Saul, and they blew it. Boo.

I do watch The Bear, and I like it, but I don’t think it’s the second coming of sliced bread and was annoyed that it crushed some very worthy competition, yet again. If you’re going to award non-comedies, I think Barry deserved a closer look. I also wished Christina Applegate had won for what was likely her last role. Not out of pity, but because despite working in chronic pain, she still managed to deliver a damn fine performance. 

This show was less boring than the Golden Globes, but the category sweeps still made it a bit of a slog. I did wonder about the Beef guy who lost supporting actor— he probably thought “what’s wrong with ME?”

And yeah, a little Mama goes a long way.

• Like 4

It's sad that some really excellent comedies like Abbott Elementary and Only Murders in the Building have no chance.  Comedy is hard, too...but big, dramatic scenes win awards.  

I think whoever is in charge needs to have some intellectual honesty when they submit their nominations.  They should want their series and stars to compete against the best, not find a loop hole to win.  

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
39 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

It's sad that some really excellent comedies like Abbott Elementary and Only Murders in the Building have no chance.  Comedy is hard, too...but big, dramatic scenes win awards.  

I think whoever is in charge needs to have some intellectual honesty when they submit their nominations.  They should want their series and stars to compete against the best, not find a loop hole to win.  

Or the voters for the winners and nominees for best comedy could consider if a show is actually funny, which should be the prime criteria

Bur it seems that simple answer won't happen so yes something should change.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In the end, the execution of Anthony's Momma Interruptus was probably the best use of Momma yet. I mean, Jennifer Coolidge gets trolled every time, so who better to have Momma get into with? 
Maybe I'm seeing more than was planned or intended, but it seemed like one of those Can't We All Get Along moments. Of course, mileage varies WRT the origin of that phrase concept too. 

It almost made me think it was planned, because she didn't actually yell at anyone else (except John Oliver who literally asked for it). With others she just held up a sign and didn't say anything.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Acmeproducts said:

Katherine Heigl looked amazing in the red dress.

Old Hollywood-style perfection! I can imagine stars like Lana Turner or Rita Hayworth wearing that dress in the 1940's. KH's hair and makeup were spot-on, too. One of the best of the night, IMO.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
41 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Old Hollywood-style perfection! I can imagine stars like Lana Turner or Rita Hayworth wearing that dress in the 1940's. KH's hair and makeup were spot-on, too. One of the best of the night, IMO.

Yes! Very much out of the 40s.

And she has the figure for that dress.

• Like 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

t's not a comedy , period.  This has annoyed me for years and it gets worse and worse. The best comedy category has become a joke. 
Great show not a comedy and should not have won this award. 

4 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Or the voters for the winners and nominees for best comedy could consider if a show is actually funny, which should be the prime criteria

Bur it seems that simple answer won't happen so yes something should change.  

Every time this not-a-comedy issue comes up, I break out in my chorus of
♫♪ ♬Let There Be A Dramedy Category♫♬♪

But it's gotten so out of hand that I'm guessing it would just add to the confusion.

There were even red carpet interviewers talking about this situation. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

♪ ♬Let There Be A Dramedy Category♫♬♪

👍👍👍👍

I mean, it just makes sense, right? They created a talk category because it made no sense to pit Colbert, et al against SNL. (And then moved John Oliver back in, just for the trolling fun of it all.)  Continuing to define every 30-minute show as a comedy is antiquated and dumb.

• Like 1

This was a great Emmy’s show, despite the predictability of the winners. Loved the In Memoriam, and the cast reunion bits. I didn’t think Ally McBeal would get a prime cast reunion spot, but surprises like that make for a good show. I wish SATC and Friends would have done it too, but I remembered AJLT is currently airing so there’s not much nostalgia there yet. And Friends might still be hurting and raw, and not ready to appear as five.

I loved The Bear - Forks will go down as one of the greatest TV episodes ever - but it’s not a comedy. I’m sad that a genuinely, funny comedy like Only Murders in the Building would go home empty-handed during their magnificent run because of this “glitch.” It was one of the best acting turns by both Steve and Martin, and an even bigger surprise comedic acting turn by Selene Gomez. Hey, at least when Abott Elementary was the darling of awards shows, it was an honest-to-goodness sitcom. 

• Like 4

The need for a dramedy category goes back to the 80s. Moonlighting was considered a drama because it was an hour show.  The Wonder Years was a comedy only because it was 30 minutes.  This is so stupid and short-sighted.  

Emmy questions that I have:

- Where the heck was Christopher Storer on his show's big night?
 - Why were Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers standing so far apart from each other, quite awkwardly?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, daisybumble said:

The need for a dramedy category goes back to the 80s. Moonlighting was considered a drama because it was an hour show.  The Wonder Years was a comedy only because it was 30 minutes.  This is so stupid and short-sighted.  

Emmy questions that I have:

- Where the heck was Christopher Storer on his show's big night?
 - Why were Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers standing so far apart from each other, quite awkwardly?

I wondered the same bout Rob and Sally.  It looks so strange.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:12 PM, shapeshifter said:

Every time this not-a-comedy issue comes up, I break out in my chorus of
♫♪ ♬Let There Be A Dramedy Category♫♬♪

But it's gotten so out of hand that I'm guessing it would just add to the confusion.

I guess to add to the confusion, I don't even think The Bear would qualify as a dramedy. JAW's old show Shameless was a dramedy. Barry's first two and a half seasons were more of a dark comedy but could qualify as a dramedy. While I think Ted Lasso, at its heart, was mostly a comedy, I can see an argument that that was a dramedy. To me, there's not enough humor in The Bear for it to be a dramedy. All dramas should have humorous moments, but that wouldn't qualify it as a dramedy. I think The Sopranos had comedic moments and characters who might be considered comedic relief, but no one would have ever called the show a comedy or drama. 

It's funny because the first episode of the second season had a lot of funny moments, so I actually thought The Bear showrunners might have been trying to address the "Is it a comedy" debate. But almost all of the humor of the second season is in that episode. To me, it's a straight-up drama that's half an hour with some amusing moments.

• Like 2