Type keyword(s) to search

75th Emmy Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

IMHO, it might be better to just categorize the shows by their length, not genre. 

The idea of scrapping comedy and drama designations and replacing them with length categories briefly popped into my mind.
But streaming shows already vary the length of their episodes for creative reasons.
I would hate to have them start making shows longer or shorter just to fit into a category.
Sadly, maybe that is happening now to fit into the comedy category. 

It seems like the comedy and drama categories should just be dropped, with an acknowledgment that it would make the award ceremonies shorter, possibly allowing the behind-the-scenes awards winners to sit at the big table. 

Maybe "first runners up" could be announced online? 

Edited by shapeshifter

Didn’t the Emmy’s change Big Little Lies’ category designation when it came back for Season 2? I remembered it swept all the awards in all the awards shows in the Limited Series category, with people thinking, it’s over, they finished the book and that’s that. 

But because it was so successful, they decided to make Season 2 on entirely new material. Because it’s no longer a “limited series,” all Season 2 nominations were for the Drama categories. It got bundled with other established, well-loved dramas, and eventually lost.

IIRC, wasn’t White Lotus in a similar boat? It started as a limited series, and it’s now firmly entrenched in the drama categories as it is coming into its third season.

So I don’t see why there wouldn’t be a possible re-categorization of The Bear.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The idea of scrapping comedy and drama designations and replacing them with length categories briefly popped into my mind.
But streaming shows already vary the length of their episodes for creative reasons.

Yes, but I think they can usually still be divided into:

- "shorter" - those that used to be around 22-24 minutes and then got to sometimes just 18 because of commercials. Now up to 30 minutes on streaming with no commercials.

- "longer" - used to be 40-45 minutes, now can be up to an hour with no commercials on streaming. 

But more shows fall into the second category, so not sure if that would be fair. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I would hate to have them start making shows longer or shorter just to fit into a category.
Sadly, maybe that is happening now to fit into the comedy category. 

It seems like the comedy and drama categories should just be dropped, with an acknowledgment that it would make the award ceremonies shorter, possibly allowing the behind-the-scenes awards winners to sit at the big table. 

Maybe "first runners up" could be announced online? 

This would just make it worse though.  No comedies would be nominated then Or fewer. 

I don't know the answer they have adjusted in the past. They change categories and rules all the time. Something needs to change. 

The always sunny cast being presenters just puts an exclamation point on the whole thing. The show is not everyone's cup of tea but it's an original and completely unique show that's been on for years, is consistently funny and has never once ever been nominated for best comedy. 

Meanwhile shows that aren't funny or comedies win awards. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/18/2024 at 1:51 PM, slowpoked said:

Didn’t the Emmy’s change Big Little Lies’ category designation when it came back for Season 2? I remembered it swept all the awards in all the awards shows in the Limited Series category, with people thinking, it’s over, they finished the book and that’s that. 

But because it was so successful, they decided to make Season 2 on entirely new material. Because it’s no longer a “limited series,” all Season 2 nominations were for the Drama categories. It got bundled with other established, well-loved dramas, and eventually lost.

IIRC, wasn’t White Lotus in a similar boat? It started as a limited series, and it’s now firmly entrenched in the drama categories as it is coming into its third season.

So I don’t see why there wouldn’t be a possible re-categorization of The Bear.

In a sense, all Season 1 shows fall into the Limited Series category, limited by the whims of networks and studios.

(edited)
On 1/20/2024 at 12:21 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't know the answer they have adjusted in the past. They change categories and rules all the time. Something needs to change. 

I think one of the criteria for if a show should be placed into the comedy category is by asking the simple question: Am I tuning in to laugh? Not does it make me laugh, but the reason I'm watching is because I need a good laugh.

Shows like Friends, Abbot Elementary and M*A*S*H while viewers may grow to care about characters tuned in each week to the shows expecting to laugh. And I imagine 99% of people when recommending the show to others would lead with 'Cause it's so funny' as their main reasoning. And using this assumption I would place shows like Ally McBeal and Desperate Housewives into the comedy category because I was tuning in each week expecting the show to make me laugh - while have some dramatic storylines. I actually think Desperate Housewives is the reason the 30 minute rule was bought in. While a show like Brothers & Sisters made me laugh at times, I was tuning in for the drama knowing that every now and then a side plot would provide some occasional laughs, so it belonged in Drama.

Are people tuning in to watch The Bear each week for the laughs or the drama? And since people constantly ask people involved with The Bear if its a comedy shows that perhaps it isn't a comedy. Because no one was asking the cast of Friends if their show was a comedy.

The idea that 30 minutes isn't long enough for a drama is ludicrous or that a comedy cannot be longer than 30 minutes. Because I can guarantee you no one thought Glee was a drama

Edited by Bill1978
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I think one of the criteria for if a show should be placed into the comedy category is by asking the simple question: Am I tuning in to laugh? Not does it make me laugh, but the reason I'm watching is because I need a good laugh.

Shows like Friends, Abbot Elementary and M*A*S*H while viewers may grow to care about characters tuned in each week to the shows expecting to laugh. And I imagine 99% of people when recommending the show to others would lead with 'Cause it's so funny' as their main reasoning. And using this assumption I would place shows like Ally McBeal and Desperate Housewives into the comedy category because I was tuning in each week expecting the show to make me laugh - while have some dramatic storylines. I actually think Desperate Housewives is the reason the 30 minute rule was bought in. While a show like Brothers & Sisters made me laugh at times, I was tuning in for the drama knowing that every now and then a side plot would provide some occasional laughs, so it belonged in Drama.

Are people tuning in to watch The Bear each week for the laughs or the drama? And since people constantly ask people involved with The Bear if its a comedy shows that perhaps it isn't a comedy. Because no one was asking the cast of Friends if their show was a comedy.

The idea that 30 minutes isn't long enough for a drama is ludicrous or that a comedy cannot be longer than 30 minutes. Because I can guarantee you no one thought Glee was a drama

That's a good way to look at it. 

I don't agree with the time limitations either. With so much variation now in shows beyond the 22 minute sitcom/40-45 minute drama time frame. Many vary outside those limits

• Like 1
  • Fire 1