Type keyword(s) to search

75th Emmy Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

Interesting info here, especially in the Variety and Talk Show categories. From Variety :

Emmy Season Kickoff: Category Changes and Overlap Create New Conversations and Questions

The Television Academy is once again trying to work through its variety talk and variety sketch category mishaps. In order to do that, it scrapped both of the existing (and quite controversial) categories and introduced two new ones.

Outstanding talk series will highlight TV shows that focus on “unscripted interviews or panel discussions between a host/hosts and guest celebrities or personalities,” while outstanding scripted variety series honors “programs that are primarily scripted or feature loosely scripted improv and consist of discrete scenes, musical numbers, monologues, comedy stand-ups, sketches, etc.”

Before the change, they couldn’t even fill the sketch show category; in 2022, only “Saturday Night Live” and “A Black Lady Sketch Show” landed in the category. “SNL” may have a whole new competitor now, as “Last Week Tonight With John Oliver,” which has dominated the variety talk category since 2016, will likely move to variety series.

❤️ The Bear but its inclusion in the comedy categories perplexes me greatly. As does Jon Bernthal's nomination. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against him and think he's a terrific actor, but he had like 5 minutes of screen time in season 1. It was literally like a "check your phone and you'll miss him" performance.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

❤️ The Bear but its inclusion in the comedy categories perplexes me greatly. As does Jon Bernthal's nomination. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against him and think he's a terrific actor, but he had like 5 minutes of screen time in season 1. It was literally like a "check your phone and you'll miss him" performance.  

THIS! I just watched the first season last week - and like you, I did enjoy it - but I honestly could not stop wondering how this qualifies as a comedy. The only qualification seems to be the fact that most of the episodes are half an hour or less. Yes, there are amusing moments throughout, but that does not make it a comedy. It feels like absolute category fraud. And, yeah, my jaw hit the floor when I saw Bernthal's nomination. None of the articles with Emmy predictions predicted he would get nominated which is totally understandable. He's basically on-screen to give a face to a character you hear a lot about, but he doesn't do much at all.

• Like 4

Yes, between Bernthal's nomination this year and Don Cheadle's for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier last year, the Television Academy really needs to set some explicit guidelines about the Guest Actor categories. You have recurring characters that have appeared in several episodes and then you have these one-shot, on-screen for five minutes characters. It's just not right.

• Like 2

I haven't paid attention to the Emmys in years, but with actually having a few shows I watch finally make the finals (and even winning, practically unprecedented!) in the PTV/Primetimer Awards this year, I thought maybe I might also align more than usual with wider viewing appreciation so checked out the nominations.  I still haven't seen most of them, but, indeed, I had some more strong feelings than usual.

My favorite is Christina Applegate in Dead to Me, and she was fantastic; I didn't realize that aired recently enough to make her eligible for Best Actress, but I'd love to see her take it (and would have loved to see Linda Cardellini get a nod as well; they're one of the quintessential duos of TV).

Top Chef as outstanding competition reality show gets my vote (most years, and especially this most-recent one) and I would love to see Padma Lakshmi take home the host award for her final season).

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah as outstanding talk series and writing has my best wishes; I watch clips of most of the nominees, but more of that show, and would like to see it win in its final season with Noah at the desk. 

Speaking of, I greatly enjoyed Noah's latest comedy special, but Wanda Sykes's was stellar as always, so I'm rooting for her for Variety Special and its writing.

The Judy Blume documentary vs The U.S. and the Holocaust in one category is rough; thankfully, they're usually separate as I loved both.

I love that The Upshaws got nominated, even if just for editing.

The Jeffrey Dahmer docudrama was just okay, but the cast was great, so I can root for some of those nominations.

Angela Bassett as narrator of Goodnight Oppy has my non-existent vote for now, but I'm only shortly into Working: What We Do All Day with Obama narrating and may wind up switching my allegiance.

For Hosted Nonfiction, I enjoyed The Light We Carry, but am all in for Taste The Nation; even more than a farewell host award for Top Chef, I'd love to see Padma Lakshmi take this one as I adore how she's said she uses food as a Trojan horse to present a cultural/political show, inspired by her activism with the ACLU around immigrant rights.

And wow, having not paid attention in a while, there are a lot of specific categories when it comes to costumes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

2023 Emmy Awards officially postponed. From The Hollywood Reporter.  Phase two round of voting will still begin on August 17th.

Emmy Awards Postponed Amid Actor and Writer Strikes

The 75th annual awards had been scheduled to air Sept. 18 on Fox. A new date has yet to be set, but sources close to the show confirm that the original date and month are no longer in consideration. Ideally, the show won’t take place until SAG-AFTRA and the Writers Guild of America reach agreements with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers — but both the TV Academy and 2023 broadcaster Fox are still in talks on when the rescheduled event will take place.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Children’s & Family Emmys: The Complete Winners List
By Patrick Hipes   December 17, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/2023-children-and-family-emmy-winners-list-1235670724/ 

UPDATED with all winners: HBO/Max’s Sesame Street, Disney+’s The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special and Jack Black and Tony Hale were among the winners Sunday at the Children’s & Family Emmy Awards in Los Angeles.

The ceremony capped a full weekend for the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, which hosted the Children’s & Family Creative Arts Emmys on Saturday.

See the full list of winners both nights below.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Creative Arts Emmys: Full List Of Night 1 Winners
By Peter White, Rosy Cordero, Lynette Rice, Armando Tinoco   January 6, 2024 
https://deadline.com/2024/01/2023-creative-arts-emmys-winners-list-1235696511/ 

The 75th annual Emmy Awards, in the shape of the two-night Creative Arts Emmys, kicked off this weekend at the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles.

ETA: I believe Night 1 of the Creative Arts Emmys is for scripted programming, while Night 2 is for non-scripted and animated programming.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Winners of Night 2 of Creative Arts Emmys...

Creative Arts Emmys: Complete Winners List
BY CAROLYN GIARDINA, HILARY LEWIS, HILTON DRESDEN   JANUARY 7, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2023-creative-arts-emmys-winners-list-night-two-1235780934/ 

The second consecutive day of the 2023 Creative Arts Emmys took place at the Peacock Theater at L.A. Live on Sunday, where awards were handed out in variety, nonfiction and reality programming categories.

I just realized the Emmys are on Martin Luther King jr. day.  I understand this was a rescheduled event but it really gives me pause as it doesn't really feel appropriate.  I wonder if the ceremony will acknowledge this.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Watching the Creative Arts Emmy broadcast and am stunned by the huge swaths of empty seats in the auditorium. Especially as this was edited down from last weekend's ceremony. Almost every audience cutaway, you just see empty red seats by the dozens.

• Sad 2
(edited)

In celebration of the 75th Emmy Awards, the Television Academy had its members vote on the Top 75 Most Impactful TV Moments of the past 75 years. Quick video; less than two minutes.

Edited by ProudMary
Because the 775 that I typed is way more than the correct 75!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I oppose including as TV moments live events captured by news cameras (that promo includes footage of the 9/11 attacks and the "slow speed chase" of O.J. Simpson); TV moments should be things created for TV -- scripted, or the results of the controlled/fabricated scenarios of "reality" TV.

I'm also disgusted by a woman marrying her rapist being included in a promo; that the Luke & Laura shit garnered ratings is a fact, so, okay, maybe include it with some context, but let's not celebrate it like this.  The Maude clip isn't enough to balance that out, but I enjoyed being reminded of that show's abortion storyline, and I guess I'll go look up the full list.

• Like 4

Third time's the charm for Sarah Snook, who finally got the dress right! Her Golden Globes look was a train wreck, last night's Critics Choice black dress was an improvement and her red gown tonight was lovely. She'll look great when she finally wins her Emmy tonight!

I suspect I may be in the minority, but I ❤️ Ayo Edebiri's black leather gown. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kittykat said:

Nice win for Ayo but why is she in supporting?  Hasn't she been in lead at every other awards?

She switched to leading for season 2, which is what the other award shows were honoring. The Emmys are recognizing season 1 reeeally late because of the strikes lol.

• Useful 4
(edited)

Man, anyone who hasn't seen White Lotus will be so confused over why everyone is cheering for her "evil gays" line.

Playing Narcos theme for Pedro Pascal?  Nice callback!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 1
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Question: did they extend the voting period as well due to the strike or did they still have everyone vote over the summer and just put the ballots in a drawer?

according to the ny times, the voting took place in august and the results have been locked up until tonight. 

• Useful 2

Honestly didn't expect them to actually follow through with Mama Anderson Timer. Not sure how I feel about that. Because anything that stops a Coolidge rumble (although I found the evil gay thanks hilarious) is fine with me.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

Honestly didn't expect them to actually follow through with Mama Anderson Timer. Not sure how I feel about that. Because anything that stops a Coolidge rumble (although I found the evil gay thanks hilarious) is fine with me.

Yeah, it's a great gag concept but in execution it's rude and disruptive and not in keeping with the tone of an awards show, which is about affirming and lifting up excellence. Theoretically.

Edited by FoundTime
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Bummed Anthony Carrigan never got a trophy for NoHo Hank, but Ebon Moss is one of those guys I have seen in small roles for ages, so it's great to see him finally get a meaty role like Richie.  Congrats!

ETA: Yeah, baring some craziness, The Bear's probably got this locked down.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 2