Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E08: Kate McKinnon / Billie Eilish

• Start Topic

Any other dog people here? Looks like the uninvited “Bullmastiff” sitting on the cast members lap was actually a Dogo Argentino.  

2 minutes ago, saoirse said:

That CO was just a wee bit long, right?

Also unfortunately only a wee bit humorous, IMO. 

Edited by Frisky Wig
  • Like 8

Cold Open: Christmas Awards! Finally, something different! I really liked this one. Loved that "Most Dangerous Plug" was awarded posthumously.

Monologue: I love seeing Kate again. "Freak Next to Hot Person" really is the role she was born to play. I did love her playing the tiny piano (had to be callback to last week) It was great to see Maya again. And Kristen Wiig, too. Weird that Maya showed up, since she wasn't in the cast at the same time as Kate. Were Aidy and Cecily not available?

North Pole News: This was an excuse for Kate to channel Quint from Jaws and throw up some skittles. The best bit was The Grinch posting the Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif on twitter. Nothing's beating Eddie Murphy's "IT DON'T MATTER WHAT MY NAME IS" version.

Pongo: HE JUST IS. Yeah, Pongo creeped me out. I loved this the more unhinged Sarah got.

ABBA Christmas: Oh, Kristen and Maya are in this. Yeah, Bowen was the perfect addition to this team. Yeah, they were all just trying to make each other break by being on top of each other. That's what saved this sketch for me.

Presents: Kate was totally channeling my mom every Christmas. The best gift giver of the family, yet every gift is the worst thing she could've given. "Pu me in a home" "Write God a letter and tell him to take me early." Probably the hardest I've laughed at this show in a while.

Tampon Farm: This was a silly one. Definitely Kate channeling Melissa Ethridge.

Billie Eillish 1: Don't know why there was a montage of baby pictures of all the women cast members (and Maya and Kristen) over the song, but I appreciated it.

WU: Jokes about Giuliani will never get old. The Mayor of "$9.11" indeed. Also loved how salty everyone got over the New Jersey/Albert Einswein joke.

I knew that a Joke Swap was on the Bingo card, but I don't think anyone saw bringing in an old lady and having them do the jokes in front of her coming at all. I take it back, THAT was the hardest I've laughed at this show in a while.

Yankee Swap: And here I thought the twist was that someone was gonna steal the cure for Sickle Cell from Kenan. That everyone wanted to trade it for Boogie Woogie Santa? That was great. 

Meet Me in St. Louis: First Cass Elliot, now Judy Garland. Chloe Troast is certainly swinging for the fences. Honestly this could've been better. If anything, Kate wasn't unhinged enough. And that's in a sketch where she chainsaws a snowman that still had a person in it.

Whiskers R We: Yay, I missed this sketch! The cats were, again, adorable. And Billie Eillish is somehow Kate's character's daughter.

Man, this was a fun one! The show returns January 20th with Jacob Elordi. Whoever that is.

• Like 9

it wasn't Kates fault but most of the show didnt do it for me. Loved the pre-tapes and WU with the joke swap was killer. Also liked Whiskers R we and i think that yankee swap was the funniest sketch of the night.

"A cat is a friend who hates you" = accurate

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Like 5

Has an episode of SNL been so apolitical? Honestly, I was expecting Kate to dust off the Giuliani bodysuit after what he went through this past week. Nope . . . no politics except for Weekend Update, and even that was overshadowed by Colin Jost probably wishing for his own demise.

Also, Whskers R We for the win. I'm more of a dog person, but I'm great with cats and horrific feline puns.

21 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

The show returns January 20th with Jacob Elordi. Whoever that is.

Yeah, who is he? I'm that far behind the zeitgeist, it's barely funny.

• Like 6

I found it pretty meh until the cat sketch, which I liked. (But the self-effacing mom sketch was mostly funny-ish.) Even WU was surprisingly meh -- even the joke swap except for the widows bit. The joke swap has been much edgier and hilarious in prior years.

I think the "Meet Me in St. Louis" sketch would have worked better with Chloe and Kate swapping roles. Kate just didn't seem to bring it in this one.

I am always pleasantly surprised at how powerful a singing voice Chloe has. I wish she and Billie E had duetted.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2

I found Mya and Kristen insufferable in the ABBA bit. Can they do anything and not make it all about them?

I loved the joke swap. And Billie Eilish should host at some point. She did really well in the cat ladies sketch.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

North Pole News: This was an excuse for Kate to channel Quint from Jaws and throw up some skittles. The best bit was The Grinch posting the Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif on twitter. Nothing's beating Eddie Murphy's "IT DON'T MATTER WHAT MY NAME IS" version.

I kept waiting for an Eddie cameo in that skit, thinking he’d show up. Kind of disappointed that wasn’t the case.

4 hours ago, buttersister said:

Dr. Hannah not only wouldn’t fist bump with Jost, she avoided him at the end. In on the bit or reflective of Che’s killer black widow “joke?”

I hope she was in on it because why else invite her? I knew it was going to be brutal when Che announced her lol.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, SHD said:

I found Mya and Kristen insufferable in the ABBA bit. Can they do anything and not make it all about them?

I loved the joke swap. And Billie Eilish should host at some point. She did really well in the cat ladies sketch.

She hosted back in season 47 and did a nice job - you can find most of her sketches on Youtube.

3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Jacob Elordi is on Euphoria, he plays Elvis in the new movie about Priscilla Presley, and he's also in the movie Saltburn.

He was also the male lead in the Kissing Booth movies, although he has said how much he dislikes them.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Has an episode of SNL been so apolitical? Honestly, I was expecting Kate to dust off the Giuliani bodysuit after what he went through this past week. Nope . . . no politics except for Weekend Update, and even that was overshadowed by Colin Jost probably wishing for his own demise.

I was watching the aftershow on Saturday Night Network, and they mentioned that there was a cut sketch with Trump, Rudy, Clarence Thomas, Don Jr, and Biden (Andrew Dismukes played Biden, as Mikey was playing Don Jr). 

I have a feeling they are on high alert after the backlash to the last cold open. 

This cold open was more "oh that's relatable...I guess," than humor, although I was glad to see most of the cast get a turn. There were a few funny moments, like Michael holding the big dog, and Devon's deep embarrassment over his girlfriend. The whole thing reminded me of this old sketch, which was better. Still, I don't mind something that is safe filler opening up an episode over more dazed and confused political material.

4 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Monologue: I love seeing Kate again. "Freak Next to Hot Person" really is the role she was born to play. I did love her playing the tiny piano (had to be callback to last week) It was great to see Maya again. And Kristen Wiig, too. Weird that Maya showed up, since she wasn't in the cast at the same time as Kate. Were Aidy and Cecily not available?

I know they didn't actually say it, but the implication of Kate, Maya and Kristen being contemporaries on the show threw me (as you said, Kate and Maya were never in the cast together, unless you count season 46, and Kristen and Kate only briefly overlapped). Then in the tampon pre-tape, you also had Paula Pell, who was leaving SNL by the time Kate joined. I wonder if this means Cecily and Aidy won't be coming back anytime soon (especially Cecily after whatever happened last week). 

This may be an episode I would enjoy more on a rewatch. The first half I couldn't get into because everything just felt like something I'd seen better versions of on the show before, or just felt too padded, or both (I liked Pongo, but I went from thinking they were going to redo the Christmas robe pre-tape with Kristen to waiting for it to end). I did enjoy Update (even if Ego's piece also felt too long - again, I liked it a little more on a rewatch) and most of the back half of the episode, aside from Cinema Classics, which seemed to greatly suffer from timing issues due to going between sets. The office gift sketch, aside from SNL's usual flaw of not having an ending, was creative and the main piece I will take away from this episode. 

I will give Kate some praise for not bringing back all her greatest hits.

They uploaded one of the cut pre-tapes. I would have kept this in the episode over the tampon pre-tape, which I'd guess had to stay in because of the cameos. 

I've enjoyed more of the season than I haven't, but I hope they use the break to reassess what is working and what isn't. And to stop finding someone who is always overused - I like Mikey, but I'm just tuning him out lately because he's on so much.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I didn’t like the mother present sketch. Once dad started giving out his gifts, I understood mom had been emotionally abused for years. That sort of thing should not be made light of.

otherwise, I enjoyed the show, especially the joke swap. Michael Che just loves ragging on Jost for his marriage to ScarJo.

• Like 5

It was mostly a mess for me. I would have preferred Paperless Post over Tampon Farm. ABBA was just a reason to be chaotic. I don’t get Kristen’s energy, she always seems shy or “off,” and I’m not understanding what she’s done to her eyebrows. 
I feel Billie is going to win another Oscar but is she always that breathy? It was annoying.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I kept waiting for an Eddie cameo in that skit, thinking he’d show up. Kind of disappointed that wasn’t the case.

I hope she was in on it because why else invite her? I knew it was going to be brutal when Che announced her lol.

He sold it well, but am pretty sure "Dr. Hattie Davis" is a fictional character Che created for the bit. And if so, what a great troll job on not just Colin, but the audience. The name "fits" the character of a civil rights activist who might've marched with King. Plus there's a general feeling of familiarity with the Hattie McDaniel/Ossie and Ruby Davis names mashup.

I'm not always a fan of Billie Eilish's breathy whisper style, but do think she has a lovely voice. I was glad to hear more of with Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Sometimes I forget too that she's sitll only 21! Was glad to see her in another skit with Kate, as well! 

I enjoyed ABBA (Kristen and Maya were over the top, but it at least made sense here. And Bowen was the perfect addition), Pongo and Whiskers R We because of Kate and Billie's chemistry. But found most of the ep pretty underwhelming.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

12 minutes ago, laugard said:

He sold it well, but am pretty sure "Dr. Hattie Davis" is a fictional character Che created for the bit. And if so, what a great troll job on not just Colin, but the audience. The name "fits" the character of a civil rights activist who might've marched with King. Plus there's a general feeling of familiarity with the Hattie McDaniel/Ossie and Ruby Davis names mashup.

Yes it was a fictional character. Not sure if Colin was aware or not though. Some other sites have identified her as an occasional SNL extra. It threw me to as I had not heard of her and am reasonably familiar with both SNL and Civil Rights Movement history and had never heard of her, but the makeup, wardrobe, etc. was great plus the performer did a great job of not overplaying it in either direction (either taking offense or being to into it). Che does have a lot of abilty when he chooses to actually make an effort.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

I seriously hope Kate revisits her "close encounters" character tonight, those sketches are easily in my top five all time SNL.  

Obviously I got disappointed here.  Looks like they were focusing on almost exclusively Christmas sketches.  They had sent that character into space the last we saw of her, so they had given her an ending of sorts, but I was still hopeful.  Oh well, maybe next time.

• Like 5

I guess I wasn't in the mood for this, pretty much didn't like anything but WU. But including the Paperless Post sketch, was this kind of a violent episode? It felt like half the sketches involved significant violence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

I don’t get Kristen’s energy, she always seems shy or “off,” and I’m not understanding what she’s done to her eyebrows. 

I didn't specifically notice her eyebrows, but I thought she looked different.

As for the show itself, I was generally disappointed. I was hoping I'd enjoy Kate, but I'm afraid for the most part I didn't. I've said before that when she first started on the show, I loved her and thought she was hilarious. Of course many people felt the same. But then something changed, at least for me. I don't know if I got tired of her or if SHE changed. Anyway, I was hoping I would like her again.

I didn't dislike her completely. I liked her in the North Pole Report. Her accent was great, and she was funny. I think my favorite part of this sketch was the name of Santa's press secretary, Poofy Sillybottom.

In the CO I liked Chloe singing the Christmas song with the wrong lyrics.

Pongo was ok. Predictable.

I thought the ABBA sketch was pretty good, though I was distracted by it being one man and three women. Yes, I know Maya was playing one of the men, and that she was in it because she can sing, and probably also because everyone wanted Kristin and her to be paired, but I couldn't let go of my annoyance. I also wasn't too amused by everyone breaking. Bah humbug.

I just googled FML. I learned something new. 

2 hours ago, rwlevin said:

I didn’t like the mother present sketch. Once dad started giving out his gifts, I understood mom had been emotionally abused for years. That sort of thing should not be made light of.

I never thought that, and I still don't. She gives nice gifts. Her husband gives crummy gifts. I don't see anything nefarious implied.

The tampon farm sketch was bizarre and not too bad. I didn't notice Paula Pell. One thing I wondered, how did they get so many tampons? 

In WU I kept wondering if Hattie Davis was a real person, so thanks to the posters here who noted that she wasn't. That makes sense, because it goes with Che doing his best to make Colin uncomfortable with the jokes. I think I'm one of the few who doesn't really like this tradition of theirs. 

My favorite part of WU was Albert Einswine.

Cinema Classics was not good. Except for Chloe's singing.

Whiskers R We had its moments. I love all the cat puns. I wondered about the cats and if they were stressed. Did Kate and Billie pick up some of the same cats? Also, I don't know anything about guinea pigs, but I didn't like hearing it squeal.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Don't know why there was a montage of baby pictures of all the women cast members (and Maya and Kristen) over the song, but I appreciated it.

I think it was there to compliment or call out to a montage scene in Barbie

I love joke swap, and look forward to it every year, but I don't think anyone but Jost and Che could pull it off.

Dumb question but who was with Kate when they announced the first song?

Edited by theredhead77
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Cinema Classics was not good. Except for Chloe's singing.

Her singing was fine but I was hoping for an actual impression of Judy Garland. As it was none of the jokes were for me. It reminded me of the Gypsy musical parody they did with Harry Styles where the joke was that the child performer was now middle-aged and doing the same act. Maybe if Tootie had been supposed to have destroyed the snowmen but instead attacked Vincente Minelli that would have struck me as funnier than the bizarre idea that there was someone inside the snowman she was cutting up.

Apparently Margaret O'Brien who played Tootie is still living.

it goes with Che doing his best to make Colin uncomfortable with the jokes. I think I'm one of the few who doesn't really like this tradition of theirs. 

Right there with you. It's partly because I don't have enough interest in their personae to believe or care that they feel awkward about delivering the jokes. The jokes are not different enough from the typical jokes in WU to make it "shocking". And the shock value such as it is is edgelord rather than incisive.

I liked the Cold Open and kept wondering why because I was meh on the First Nice Day of Spring. 

I also enjoyed Kate's monologue about how awkward she feels being herself. 

I liked the mother's sweater with the cardinals and I enjoyed the sketch but I would have liked more interaction between the sisters. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Dumb question but who was with Kate when they announced the first song?

Greta Gerwig, the director of Barbie.

1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I also enjoyed Kate's monologue about how awkward she feels being herself. 

I saw her on with Seth Meyers this (last?) week and I thought she was so uncomfortable.  The whole interview came off as a "bit" which is too bad because I was looking forward to a chat.  So I totally got it when she said she's awkward being herself. 

I mostly enjoyed the show.  I like the ABBA sketch because it got sillier as it went along.  I loved Whiskers R We - thought Billie was charming.  I'm not crazy about the joke swap either.  And I did wonder why Maya and Kristen were in so many sketches.  Not my favorite episode, but I didn't hate it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Was that Mikey's IRL son in the cold open? They had the same chin.

Interesting snark on Wikipedia in the opening monologue.

Poppy Tinselbottom. Poofy Sillybottom. #northpolestrong

Pongo the dog is an unexpected supervillan. And he's perfectly smooth!

What's the deal with age 17 and ABBA? Is it an age of consent thing? If so, that's creepy. Sorry not sorry, Stevie Nicks.

Tampon Farm. OMG, no.

Still haven't seen the Barbie movie so I didn't know that's what Billie Eillish's first song was from until I realized her name was styled in the pink Barbie font. The movie got a lot of free PR in this episode, between the host, the musical guest, and the Barbie director. Just in time for holiday shopping!

WU:
Rich Auntie Veronda should've been carrying a Telfar bag but maybe SNL didn't want to do that particular product placement.
There's a nationwide shortage on skanks.
Colin trying to dap the renowned civil rights activist. I recoiled so hard. (According to reddit Colin didn't know she was an actress, which makes his fake sincerity even worse to me in retrospect.)

Boogie Woogie Santa > CRISPR cure. Good to know. That tortilla blanket looked kind of dirty and used.

The Wizard of Oz was mid. Again, I think Chloe has a great voice but she wasn't channeling Judy Garland any better than she did Mama Cass previously.

Loved the cat sketch. Billie Eilish was perfect as a nerdy cat lady. Wait, that wasn't a cat.

I'm meh on Kate McKinnon, but I thought Billie E. was fantastic. She can keep coming back. Is there Five Timers award for musical guests?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was that Mikey's IRL son in the cold open? They had the same chin.

Interesting snark on Wikipedia in the opening monologue.

Poppy Tinselbottom. Poofy Sillybottom. #northpolestrong

Pongo the dog is an unexpected supervillan. And he's perfectly smooth!

What's the deal with age 17 and ABBA? Is it an age of consent thing? If so, that's creepy. Sorry not sorry, Stevie Nicks.

Tampon Farm. OMG, no.

Still haven't seen the Barbie movie so I didn't know that's what Billie Eillish's first song was from until I realized her name was styled in the pink Barbie font. The movie got a lot of free PR in this episode, between the host, the musical guest, and the Barbie director. Just in time for holiday shopping!

WU:
Rich Auntie Veronda should've been carrying a Telfar bag but maybe SNL didn't want to do that particular product placement.
There's a nationwide shortage on skanks.
Colin trying to dap the renowned civil rights activist. I recoiled so hard. (According to reddit Colin didn't know she was an actress, which makes his fake sincerity even worse to me in retrospect.)

Boogie Woogie Santa > CRISPR cure. Good to know. That tortilla blanket looked kind of dirty and used.

The Wizard of Oz was mid. Again, I think Chloe has a great voice but she wasn't channeling Judy Garland any better than she did Mama Cass previously.

Loved the cat sketch. Billie Eilish was perfect as a nerdy cat lady. Wait, that wasn't a cat.

I'm meh on Kate McKinnon, but I thought Billie E. was fantastic. She can keep coming back. Is there Five Timers award for musical guests?

I think she hosted once. It was a fun episode when she did.

Whiskers R We had its moments. I love all the cat puns. I wondered about the cats and if they were stressed. Did Kate and Billie pick up some of the same cats? Also, I don't know anything about guinea pigs, but I didn't like hearing it squeal.

I felt bad for the guinea pig.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, SHD said:

She did host and was good...but she doesn't work (for me) as a singer

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

She did host and was good...but she doesn't work (for me) as a singer

Yea, I like it better when she sings her own songs that her brother writes for her. I didn't think her cover of Merry Little Christmas was anything special. (Also, I hate that singers always do the rewritten version and not the original.) As a singer, I don't think she's in the league of Linda Ronstadt.

• Like 3

Billie Eilish works better for me as an actress rather than a singer. I think she has good timing and natural acting chops. The singing, though....my kingdom for one musical guest who just sings without a single affectation (no destroying perfectly good cake, no sounding like an asthmatic in need of an inhaler because it's supposed to be more ethereal and emo that way, no more lyrics that sound the same no matter the song or singer, "mumble, mumble, mumble....yeah....mumble, mumble, mumble....ah....")

I gasped at some of those WU traded jokes. Not in a "wow, that's edgy" good way, either. 

I've had pet guinea pigs and they all learned to squeak when I opened the fridge to feed them parsley. 

Hope all those sweet cats got adopted, if they were up for adoption. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Lots of one-joke skits in this one. Problem is, getting the joke takes a fraction of the time of the skit… which goes on and on.

I liked WU joke swap. I didn’t laugh at much else. I don’t even remember the two skits before the cat skit.

I like Eilish, but weird song choices. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Hope all those sweet cats got adopted, if they were up for adoption. 

I am sure SNL used a union cat wrangler, it seemed like they kept holding up the same two cats most of the time, just changing the names, lol.

As much as I love Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph I feel like Kate could have done better alone although the ABBA sketch was funny. 

I did love seeing Paula Pell, seeing her made me miss Girls5Eva so much.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Yea, I like it better when she sings her own songs that her brother writes for her. I didn't think her cover of Merry Little Christmas was anything special. (Also, I hate that singers always do the rewritten version and not the original.) As a singer, I don't think she's in the league of Linda Ronstadt.

Linda was in a league of her own. Breaks my heart that she can no longer sing!

• Sad 6
19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Tampon Farm. OMG, no.

Yeah I don’t get it.  Just weird for the sake of weird?

On 12/17/2023 at 6:13 AM, Pete Martell said:

The whole thing reminded me of this old sketch, which was better. Still, I don't mind something that is safe filler opening up an episode over more dazed and confused political material.

This is sooooo much funnier.

What the hell is happening over there at SNL?

On 12/17/2023 at 11:20 AM, peeayebee said:

I didn't dislike her completely. I liked her in the North Pole Report. Her accent was great, and she was funny. I think my favorite part of this sketch was the name of Santa's press secretary, Poofy Sillybottom.

Pongo was ok. Predictable.

…

My favorite part of WU was Albert Einswine.

The North Pole sketch was basically the same as the Eddie Murphy one, with Instagram shout outs that were basically the same.  Except that one was hilarious and this one was NOT!

Pongo was so predictable, it wasn’t funny at all.  If I’m able to guess what the next joke will be, it’s not good.

Aww I was so sad to read that Albert Einswine was eventually captured and given back to his “owner,” which is the pig farm where he will be slaughtered.  Pigs are so smart and he was so scared.  :(  I was hoping he would have ended up at a sanctuary like the longhorn that got loose in nyc the other day.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 1