Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

The finalists make a pastry Signature, a sticky Technical and a showstopping celebration cake. Whose choux will see them through to be crowned Bake Off 2023 winner?

UK Original Air Date: November 28, 2023.

US Netflix Date: December 1, 2023.

I am happy with that result.  Pacing yourself, keeping on an even keel and peaking in the finale is good strategy.  Not that I believe he had a strategy. Paul said that was one of the best chocolate cakes he had tasted in a while.

IMO couldn't have happened to a nicer guy and I liked him a lot from the first episode.

• Like 13
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I am happy with that result.  Pacing yourself, keeping on an even keel and peaking in the finale is good strategy.  Not that I believe he had a strategy. Paul said that was one of the best chocolate cakes he had tasted in a while.

IMO couldn't have happened to a nicer guy and I liked him a lot from the first episode.

He peaked at the best time ever. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I'll go against the majority here, but I think Josh deserved to win. 

I'd take Matty over Dan anytime, but I felt that Josh was better through entire season.

Ok they say they judge ot only based on the final weekend. But at least once in the past they broke that rule.

• Like 19
12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Glad they had them make a nice cake for the finale and not a big table spread with a bunch of bits and bobs.

Dan was hoist by his own pitard, again. I guess the flavor of Matty's cake was good enough to eclipse Josh, but it also seemed like everybody just totally adored Matty and wanted him to win. Before the showstopper, they had Paul saying "of course flavor is most important". It stood out to me as something they inserted after the fact, so I knew they were preparing us for a surprise winner. I just wish they weren't quite so harsh about Josh's cake. They really picked it apart. 

Loved Noel joking to Alison about how she should announce the winner cuz this would probably be her last season. I'm sure they'll keep those two together for a good while.  

I'm glad they just made nice cakes too. 

I agree about Matty and he seemed to bring flavor and a lot of heart to what he did. He also grew and proved himself. He got star baker twice.  I liked Josh a lot but he seemed to get lost in the group as I don't think he had that outgoing and sunny personality that they want from a winner. 

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Ok they say they judge ot only based on the final weekend. But at least once in the past they broke that rule.

Obviously how the baker comes across in all the episodes counts - whatever they officially say.  This is a baking competition on TV and they want somebody to win  who checks all the boxes.

But as I have been reminded just recently here myself by somebody quoting one of my posts, only the judges would know what the bakes actually taste like and taste probably counts for a lot.  Paul raved about the taste of Matty's cake.  That Matty is a sweet guy who is also telegenic is the icing on the proverbial cake.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Glad they had them make a nice cake for the finale and not a big table spread with a bunch of bits and bobs.

Dan was hoist by his own pitard, again. I guess the flavor of Matty's cake was good enough to eclipse Josh, but it also seemed like everybody just totally adored Matty and wanted him to win. Before the showstopper, they had Paul saying "of course flavor is most important". It stood out to me as something they inserted after the fact, so I knew they were preparing us for a surprise winner. I just wish they weren't quite so harsh about Josh's cake. They really picked it apart. 

Loved Noel joking to Alison about how she should announce the winner cuz this would probably be her last season. I'm sure they'll keep those two together for a good while.  

I agree with this and this is where I have to give credit to Noel and Alison. They may have their favourites but they make an effort to be genuinely warm and bond with all the contestants. They’re also very supportive to anyone who needs support. I really respect them for that. 

• Like 23
23 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I'll go against the majority here, but I think Josh deserved to win. 

After Matty made a raw lardy cake, I thought for sure it would be Josh. However, as they were about to announce the winner, I  immediately realized Josh didn't have that same fun, outgoing personality as Matty and knew he would get the cake plate.  That's not to say Josh should have won, but it was likely very close.  As for Dan, well it wasn't his day (and he knew it).

Also, loved when Allyson asked Josh what he was going to miss most and without missing a beat said, "you".  

• Like 17

Can anyone explain to me why they called Dan's burnt Lardy Cake a "King Alfred"?

I was surprised that Prue said she loved Matty's cake's colors. I *really* didn't like it-- I thought the pale pastels on the frosting didn't mesh well with the bright fruits on top. But what do I know. 

As soon as Paul said that Josh's cake was (near to) "boring" I knew that Matty would win. I mean, how can a boring showstopper end up winning, after the judges RAVED over the flavor of Matty's? (It was obvious that Dan was out of the running well before then)

• Like 13
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Can anyone explain to me why they called Dan's burnt Lardy Cake a "King Alfred"?

I was surprised that Prue said she loved Matty's cake's colors. I *really* didn't like it-- I thought the pale pastels on the frosting didn't mesh well with the bright fruits on top. But what do I know. 

As soon as Paul said that Josh's cake was (near to) "boring" I knew that Matty would win. I mean, how can a boring showstopper end up winning, after the judges RAVED over the flavor of Matty's? (It was obvious that Dan was out of the running well before then)

Had to run to Google for that!  

"The name King Alfred's Cakes is said to come from the time when King Alfred was hiding from the Danes, he was given shelter by a peasant woman and he had promised to keep an eye on her cakes. As it was, he forgot all about them (probably preoccupied by those pesky Danes) and they subsequently burned."

It was a wonderful finale.  Dan was his typical extroverted self, and so happy for Matty at the end.  Josh was his usual introverted self, and it was nice to see him make it to the finale, even if Nan was no longer there to see him.

And Matty . . . the big old "puppy dog" contender.  Everyone loved him, and he loved being there.  His was my least-favorite-looking cake, but it seemed like the judges loved the taste, so he takes the cake (plate) this year.  Well done!!!

Loved the combination of Allyson and Noel as hosts.  Best duo since Mel and Sue.

• Like 17
  • Useful 1

This was a really great season...lots of likeable contestants, challenges that were interesting but not insane, and Allison was a wonderful addition.  And Matty deserved the win, that chocolate cake looked delicious.

• Like 17

I loved this season and am sad that it’s over. All the contestants were lovely and Allyson made a great addition to the show. I am sad Josh did not win, I felt he deserved it but I’m happy for Matty. Dan knew this wasn’t his week. I loved the end where they showed how many of the bakers stayed in touch, road tripping, visiting each other and partying together. 

• Like 13

Prue said that Matty's cake was so light that she was surprised it tilted.

I would have thought that a very light cake (Matty even mentioned that this was a risk) would be *more* likely to not support itself.

• Like 1

This was my first time watching an entire season of this show, and I loved it.  I've tried to watch a few episodes of other seasons but that Lucas host just turned me off so I never went back.

Of course Josh's mum made me cry.  Nan was well loved, bless her.  Made me miss my grandma.     

Very happy with the final three, very happy to see Matty win.  A well done and well flavored chocolate cake gets me every time!     

• Like 6

First, I'd watch Noel & Alison host a phone book reading show.  I REALLY love the two of them together.  And I would kill for a sundress out of that maroon toile fabric of Noel's shirt. 

I'm totally fine with Matty.  Josh would have been fine too. And did Josh look EXACTLY like his dad?  OMG.

Paul Hollywood is SUCH a hugger.  He was just hugging everybody within reach.   

I HATE that they showed Dan's mom, because she seemed so nice. 

It was a really good season.  The recap at the end was great.  

• Like 4

I was shocked. I was certain Josh had it in the bag. I thought the judges were just playing up Matty's chances for dramatic effect. When Allison called Matty's name I was just gobsmacked, and I felt a little sorry for Josh. I think Josh probably thought he'd won too.

I am thrilled for Matty, though. I'm not going to second guess the decision. Personally I thought Josh's cake was a work of art but apparently the judges were a bit disappointed with both the flavors and some of the bake and thought it wasn't up to his usual standard. But on TV it looked far better than the other two.

All three were lovely finalists, I would have been happy for any one of them.

• Like 10

I knew once they were done judging that Matty would win. I know Paul said during the confab that Josh was still in the running, but we all know that a stunning showstopper will trump the signature and technical. I was rooting for Josh, but didn't mind Matty winning. I didn't think Dan would as he's been so hit or miss all season it seemed unlikely he would pull off 3 good bakes in the end.

This was such a nice, pleasant season with no crazy builds or other nonsense...I hope they do it again next year!

• Like 7

Wow, Matty the underdog! When Josh was congratulating Matty on camera, I could tell he was kind of crushed. I thought Josh had it when he aced the technical (and Matty came in last), but Matty‘s showstopper had better taste.

7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I was surprised that Prue said she loved Matty's cake's colors.

Agreed, I thought they were nothing special. Plus the sides of the cake showed through the base frosting

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Prue said that Matty's cake was so light that she was surprised it tilted.

I would have thought that a very light cake (Matty even mentioned that this was a risk) would be *more* likely to not support itself.

I think Prue meant the top layer.

I just re-watched the judging for Josh and Matty. Josh clearly won the signature eclairs, and of course aced the technical. I guess it all comes down to ONLY “how does the showstopper taste?” 🤔🧐

• Like 9

I have admit I had a rough day today and put on the final to relax and escape. It was during the intro that I realized I really wanted Matty to win. As it was a nice come from behind win. He improved as the show went on and was also humble. I cheered when they called his name! Always, nice to see the underdog win.

And I really want that chocolate cake ;).

• Like 5

Paul has hated Josh for some reason since day one. Maybe because he’s too quiet and won’t be the best book salesman the show has ever had.

It’s not a good look when the winner has made jokes about how unqualified he is and has admitted on several occasions to essentially copying what Josh was doing. 

• Like 7

So happy for Matty!  I liked all three finalists but Matty really was a ray of sunshine, always smiling and happy and (most importantly) learning, which really helped him in the final.

It was pretty obvious that Dan wasn't going to win after the first baking day (and after seeing his showstopper).  And poor Josh, it's hard to win when your final bake isn't great.  

• Like 9
47 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

It’s not a good look when the winner has made jokes about how unqualified he is and has admitted on several occasions to essentially copying what Josh was doing. 

I don't think this disqualified him. His cake was way better, according to the judges. I didn't like the colors much, but Josh's cake was decorated as I could think I could do, which isn't saying much. And the judges essentially said it had no flavor. So yes, I think it was Josh's to lose, but he lost it.

• Like 10
49 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Paul has hated Josh for some reason since day one. Maybe because he’s too quiet and won’t be the best book salesman the show has ever had.

Matty still has to execute the bakes. And on this day, he bested the favorite. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Paul has hated Josh for some reason since day one. Maybe because he’s too quiet and won’t be the best

I have seen no evidence of that.  Josh has received quite a few compliments throughout the season. After Tasha was eliminated I thought Josh had a very good chance of winning. The judges liked him and the audience liked him. He was always competent.

I think this literally came down to the last bake.  Pru and Paul  were underwhelmed by the taste of his cake. Meanwhile, the judges loved the taste of Matty's final bake. Matty's final bake was his best tasting bake of the competition. It must have been a very close decision.

• Like 15
8 hours ago, MartyQui said:

This was a really great season...lots of likeable contestants, challenges that were interesting but not insane, and Allison was a wonderful addition.  And Matty deserved the win, that chocolate cake looked delicious.

I thought the look of all three showstoppers were underwhelming for a final, but I thought it unfair that Josh was criticized for his decoration when his was the only one decently decorated.

I can’t really comment on the quality of the bakes vs. prior seasons, but for me, this was the most enjoyable season since the BBC days, and one of the few seasons I’ve made it all the way through since then. I’d put the improvement down to the addition of Allison and the personalities of all the bakers.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

the comments about coping what Josh is doing was a response to Noel. And not exactly what he was doing anyway. As he still had to doing baking.

• Like 5

I, too, realized early in the episode that I was rooting for Matty, though Josh was an excellent baker the whole way through and he and his family talking about his Nan 😭. None of the showstoppers were as showstoppy as earlier seasons, but I appreciated Matty's subtle brushstroke decor. And I, too, want that cake!

• Like 7

Paul and Prue basically said that Matty’s cake was perfect except for the fact that it listed to one side. He also did well in the signature. The fact that he came in last in the technical didn't make that much difference because there were only three contestants. Coming in last out of 12, or even 6 is a different matter.

Dan had a really bad week. As soon as he forgot to put powdered sugar on his eclairs, which is apparently a necessary thing, I knew he was going down. And those macarons in his showstopper!  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this show it’s macarons and those looked awful. And again, coming in second in the technical means nothing when there are only three bakers. Those burnt bricks would have finished way down the list in a larger group. 

Josh’s cake was the neatest, even if his piping was hasty at best, but it didn’t have the flavor of Matty’s. And coming first in the technical, again, not a major feat in a group of three. 

Im sorry, but I really don’t think the winner is based in any way on personality. Yes, Matty is more personable than Josh, who is quiet, but he out baked him, and that’s why he won. IMO

• Like 15
On 11/30/2023 at 8:33 AM, TVbitch said:

Yes. I really don't like the showstoppers where a bunch of crumbs or, like you said, bits and bobs are scattered around the main bake. A tiered cake is definitely a good challenge.

I just wish they weren't quite so harsh about Josh's cake. They really picked it apart.

That did seem weird, but I think it comes down to editing. My thought is that Paul and Prue always spend quite a lot of time (or at least much more than we see) judging and critiquing each bake. Of course it's edited down. So while what airs is them raving about a bake, in actuality they also gave some negative criticism. And vice versa. In this case the editors had to show more of the negative criticism of Josh's bake in order for the viewing audience to be ready for Josh not winning.

9 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I HATE that they showed Dan's mom, because she seemed so nice. 

I don't understand. Why did you hate seeing Dan's mom?

8 hours ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

Saku being Saku: "I think Josh, or Matty, or Dan will win. One of those three." 😆

That was the absolute best. Once again, Saku for the win!

3 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Paul has hated Josh for some reason since day one.

I don't know where you got this from.

I'm sorry Dan flamed out. I didn't necessarily want him to win, but to completely blow it on all three challenges was sad to watch. 

I'm so very happy for Matty. He deserves all good things. However, I was shocked. Josh rarely faltered. He has such good skills. I really thought he won. Obviously I'm not alone there.

I didn't really like Matty's cake decoration. It looked a mix of naked cake and... not naked cake. Maybe that combination has been done before -- and I don't mean on GBBO, but in bakeries and so forth. However, it look strange to me. 

Loved seeing all the bakers again and being reminded of what a great casting job the show did this year.

Lardy cakes? Lardy lardy. So, was that like Crisco or real lard?

• Like 5

I've seen similar icing styles to how Matty decorated his cake. I don't think he executed it too terribly well, but I can see what he was going for. I did like the colors of it.

I was pleased for Matty, who has come on quite strong the past few weeks. I do feel like you almost have a better chance if you start off middling and clearly get better as the competition goes on than if you start off wowing the judges. I felt for Josh, who looked a bit gutted after the announcement. They're all really good guys.

• Like 12
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I don't think this disqualified him. His cake was way better, according to the judges. I didn't like the colors much, but Josh's cake was decorated as I could think I could do, which isn't saying much. And the judges essentially said it had no flavor. So yes, I think it was Josh's to lose, but he lost it.

Josh's cake looked nice but he sort of didn't complete the decorations.  They showed the green squash that looked unfinished.  He may have meant that to represent stripes but it didn't look like it.  But what really seemed to hurt was a lack of flavor.  They couldn't taste the apple in the center tier. 

I liked the look of Matty's cake.  I think he planned well by picking a finish for the cake that he could complete in time and with his skill level.  I would have liked bolder colors.  However, it was something i am now thinking of doing on a cake. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Rickster said:

I thought the look of all three showstoppers were underwhelming for a final, but I thought it unfair that Josh was criticized for his decoration when his was the only one decently decorated.

Definitely underwhelming style across the board, but I thought Matty's was way better, decoration-wise, than Josh!  Matty's was more modern and and had a stronger, more professional aesthetic IMO. No one won for decoration in this finale, it must have come down to flavor -- and Matty had that. After their initial tasting comments it seemed likely to break his way.

Have we ever had an all-men final before?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, blueray said:

the comments about coping what Josh is doing was a response to Noel. And not exactly what he was doing anyway. As he still had to doing baking.

Also, as Noel pointed out, Josh could have been wrong.  Regardless, this season was an absolute delight!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

I don't think this disqualified him. His cake was way better, according to the judges. I didn't like the colors much,but Josh's cake was decorated as I could think I could do, which isn't saying much. And the judges essentially said it had no flavor. So yes, I think it was Josh's to lose, but he lost it.

That is how I felt finally getting a good look at it last night. 

• Like 1

I thought Matty's cake was quite pretty really, too bad about the lean. It was artistic. I actually was a little disappointed in Josh's, his showstoppers have been mostly that. It was pretty but not up to his standards. I do think it came down to taste, as it should. It was Josh's contest to lose. 

My favorite part was the lardy cake technical. The faces that Matty pulled throughout had me rolling. 

• Like 3