Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Priceless Runway

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

In defense of the "something an assistant" would wear comment, I took it to mean "a dress for someone who was trying to stay in the background", which at a gala event is what an assistant is supposed to do.  Any assistant that outshines the celebrity they are there to support/promote will get themselves fired pretty fast.  So, instead of a knock on what underlings can afford, I thought it was just another way of saying boring.  Which is what it was, pretty, but boring.  

I think this is what Nina and Heidi meant as well.  The assistants to the stars are not trying to be center stage or look uber-glamarous so they would probably choose the more understated dress.  Samantha's dress was lovely but far to simple and I think she was also sent home because she wasn't making much of an impact with the judges.  And let's not forget that Nina was bored by Samantha's dress--DO NOT BORE NINA!!

I kind of like how Char's attitude toward Amanda changed because they are now in the same boat--they were both brought back and given a shot at redemption and good for Char for realizing that.  I'm also kind of loving how Amanda kind of shut Korina down when Korina was talking about missing Char.  Korina is rude to Amanda's face and she expects Amanda to commiserate and make small talk with her?  Bitch please!

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 5

Not to play conspiracy theorist, but, oh, what the heck, they deserve it:  quick, somebody hire a detective to find out which person(s) in production Amanda is BFF with or otherwise connected.  

I don't think she has to be connected to anyone but her brother. I think they're that desperate for a little buzz. For example: Anya was not just a "beauty queen" (which is to say, officially the most beautiful girl in a place with the population of the Bronx), she was a beauty queen with a notorious sex tape. 

• Love 2

I don't think she has to be connected to anyone but her brother. I think they're that desperate for a little buzz. For example: Anya was not just a "beauty queen" (which is to say, officially the most beautiful girl in a place with the population of the Bronx), she was a beauty queen with a notorious sex tape. 

Who didn't know how to operate a sewing machine.

• Love 4

With the large, obvious pattern Korina chose, I was astounded she had first pieced it together without caring that the pattern wasn't meeting at the seams and it wasn't symmetrical.  Tim had to point it out to her.  

Kim Kardashian would love Amanda's jumpsuit and negligee robe.  That is not a good thing.

I know! How did it even occur to her to not match the pattern?

• Love 2

This is Amanda's look in doll version (just scroll if not at top).  Just flip flop the colors.  Lucy doll did it better.  Sean's dress may not have been the most creative but he did the best job of showcasing the jewelry.

Yes, that's what I was thinking or they even wore a shorter "jacket" over the tight pants. I haven't been able to find a picture, but they were usually elegant fabrics. not sheer like what Amanda did.

On another note- am I the only one who loved the inclusion of expensive jewelry on a show with a prize package sponsored by Red Robin and Best Western? I thought that was kinda awesome.

I was genuinely surprised the jewelry wasn't provided by Jared.

. . . or those Mary Kay hearts designed by Jane Seymour that kind of look like butts.

(I'd put in quote tags but they aren't displaying as an option right now.)

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 7

THANK you. No "kind of" about it: butts.

No, tits and butts.  The first time I saw an ad for it, I mistook it for an SNL skit.

One point on why Korina didn't match the seams of her heavy upholstery fabric when first making the coat - I seem to recall her wondering to Tim if it was really necessary (and he looked like he was going to faint at the question). I mean, really, matching patterns is hard, y'alls. She wasn't sure she really needed to go to all that trouble, you know? And after he persuaded her (she looked mutinous until he talked about the judges being out for blood) she grumpily decided to match the front. I don't think we ever saw what happened to the back, did we?

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 3

I do.  I love Tim but, man, that weeping bit about using his "save" made me cringe.  Maybe it is because I don't think that designer is the bees knees but also because it just was - well, cringe-inducing.  And, I really do love him - he makes it for me - just not whatever the heck that bit was all about.

Ridiculous cooing about that catsuit - sometimes they all make me scratch my head but then I will browse a "fashion" magazine and often have a similar reaction so I wholly accept I know zilch about this stuff - 

• Love 3

On another note- am I the only one who loved the inclusion of expensive jewelry on a show with a prize package sponsored by Red Robin and Best Western? I thought that was kinda awesome.

. . . or those Mary Kay hearts designed by Jane Seymour that kind of look like butts.

Every time those ads come on in our house, especially now that they have the two hearts one... one of us will yell out "Double butt!!"  Or make some sort of joke about "and here's a butt for you!"

Maybe Amanda's design would have been better if it had butts all over it...

Maybe Amanda's design would have been better if it had butts all over it...

I'd go for that for the win!

I was sure... SURE... Amanda would get crucified for that poorly made, er, "jacket" thing. It was sheer, it was poorly made, it served no purpose. I gasped when she was in the top.

Also, Kini's design made his models look like she had permanent headlights. Not exactly elegant.

And as much as it pains me to say, I thought Korina deserved the win. It was more interesting than anyone else's, and the construction didn't suck, so that was about the best we got for this challenge.

• Love 2

I don't think we ever saw what happened to the back, did we?

Judge for yourself.  Some parts are ok, some are janky.  I'm very critical about the back too.

http://mylt.ltcdn.com/d6/sites/mylifetime.com/files/images/photo_gallery_frame/2014/09/02/pr13-rr-ep7-ke-b.jpg

The grey areas just above & below the center medallion, are very uneven and don't match at all.  And it's not because of the tilt of the model's hips.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

The hilarious thing about sending the designers to a Charles James exhibit for a one-day challenge is that if there's one thing other than design that Charles James is famous for, it's for being late.  His clients had to basically tear their dresses out of his hands because he never felt they were done; he saw them as his enemies, getting between him and perfection.  He took months to make a dress, and he had an army of people working for him...

I thought Korina's was quite nice and especially I was surprised to see how well her dress came out.  I am happy with her win.  But then I have still not seen one single example of her treating anyone badly, actually on camera--I've seen a load of bullshit "reaction shots" that could have been cut in from anywhere and some mildly critical talking heads, and a one-sided report of something mean she may or may not have said to Amanda.  I still have zero reason to think she's this terrible human being, and it seemed like everyone was happy with her win.  I do think that Tim was right about fixing the pattern and that I've seen coats like hers before, but I've seen everything on that runway before.

Wasting the Tim Gunn Save seems like it will become a tradition.  Char seems nice enough, but her clothes are booooring and this time was no different.  But that's fine.  Now that I see the Tim Gunn Save is not based on talent but personality, she seems like a good choice.

I guess we can explain the bizarre praise for Amanda, and sending Samantha home instead of Alexander, with the "ugly before boring" Project Runway judging bias.  And as I like that bias, I suppose I can't really complain...but I didn't like Amanda's (I think she should have ditched the organza entirely and made the jumpsuit more fabulous, or something) and I'd rather have Samantha around than Alexander.  Ah well.  I did enjoy Amanda's chutzpah in guessing she was on the top.  Entitled Kini continues to annoy me, and in my opinion, his dress would have been butt-ugly even if it had been sewn well--it's a failing perhaps, but I hate that kind of sleeve more than anything and can't get past it.

Also, it's a pet peeve of mine when people don't pronounce "jewelry" correctly. Char pronounced it like "jury"  

Which is perfectly correct for her part of the US.  I heard it a ton when I lived around there.

All I can figure is he must have a huge family and each of them are convincing/coercing/paying their friends and neighbors to power vote for him.   His blank, cow-eyed, open-mouthed stare make me want to shake him.  He looks not very bright.

It's so mean but I always laugh out loud at his blank-eyed slack-jawed face which he makes several times an episode.  Close your mouth Alexander!

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 5

I'm not a big fan of Korina, but I liked her design this week and I'm mostly ok with giving her the win, though I hate that she has immunity for the next challenge. Of the top three, Amanda's is the most perplexing inclusion (I like Amanda, but seriously... this was not worthy of a top three) and Sean's was the most gala appropriate, but given how arbitrary the judging is, I don't even bother trying to figure out what they're thinking. FWIW, I think if Sandhya had turned her dress into a full length gown, she should have been in the top three. 

I actually thought Alexander's dress had the potential to be in the top, had it been more cleaned up and finished-- I liked what he was going for, and it was more interesting than what Samantha did, so I'm not upset she got booted while he stayed. Samantha has been relatively invisible this season and I can't recall any of her designs.

Edited by catray
  • Love 2

I thought Korina's was quite nice and especially I was surprised to see how well her dress came out.  I am happy with her win.  But then I have still not seen one single example of her treating anyone badly, actually on camera--I've seen a load of bullshit "reaction shots" that could have been cut in from anywhere and some mildly critical talking heads, and a one-sided report of something mean she may or may not have said to Amanda.  I still have zero reason to think she's this terrible human being, and it seemed like everyone was happy with her win. 

Last week, she was all kinds of bitchy to Amanda on camera.  She said she didn't want to make something "weird," implying that Amanda's design aesthetic is weird (which is judging it instead of working with it), and she bitched about the way Amanda cut her pants, when her model wouldn't have even had pants if Amanda hadn't done something to help her out.  When she came into the back room to announce her win, she did this smug look away thing with Sean and it annoyed.  

She's constantly bitching about the constraints of the challenges not being in her wheelhouse like some kind of entitled brat that expected PR to offer up all kinds of opportunities for her to make "her" clothes, instead of embracing challenges and using it as a way to stretch her creativity.  

• Love 3

It's so mean but I always laugh out loud at his blank-eyed slack-jawed face which he makes several times an episode.  Close your mouth Alexander!

I knoooooow!  Once with my kids at the Grand Canyon we saw a family of children who all had that very look -- open mouth, eyes half-closed, slack jaw.  When we got back to the car, I hugged my two and thanked them for never, ever putting on that expression.  

I think Korina deserved her win, if only for the under dress that she made in about 30 minutes and actually was faboo.  With me, she earned her mean girl reputation with the nasty talking heads in the first few episodes.  I know they're goaded into them, but ....

I couldn't understand the love for Sean's.  To me the velvet looked sad, except for the part in the back.  He did have a lot of jewelry to show off.

• Love 1

Ugh. I think I'm officially over Sean. His dress was not that amazing. His model and the jewels (which he had first pick of) were really selling the dress. I've seen that design so many times. While Samantha's dress was safe and she hasn't shown anything that remarkable, his dress wasn't that much better. 

I didn't think Kini's dress was so awful that it deserved to be in the bottom 3. It felt very J. Lo, particularly with the big hoops and the slicked back ponytail.

The "safe" dresses could have been in the bottom with Samantha and Alexander if being too safe was the problem. I actually didn't hate Sandhya's design this time. I think it was a little too casual (talking about the assistant walking with the star) but given the other looks she's shown, it was good. 

I'm getting nothing from Alexander. He thinks he's amazing but even when he produces something good it's not original or particularly beautiful. He's going to make top 3, isn't he?

I think Korina deserved to win. The shoulders seemed a little wide like the sleeve started in a weird position but other than that it was the best design of the night and highlighted the jewelry well. With the coat it felt like something a mature fashion icon would wear. Someone like Iris Apfel or the late Lauren Bacall who could own an outfit like that and use it to show off her figure without showing a lot of skin. 

UGH. Amanda. Go home, Amanda. Go home. I CAN'T.

• Love 3

I can't believe Kini used Neoprene. I feel like setting the next contestant on fire who uses Neoprene.

Is Elena the one who started using it? On Project Runway, that is. I'm not giving her credit for inventing it.

Oh yeah. Melrose was annoying. She'd fit in really well with this season's designers, except that she's not a designer.

Sorry, still not seeing the problem. ;)

Nina, please don't use the word "ethnic" to describe things with cultural references you don't understand.

She also called the jewelry "exotic." I was just waiting for her to push it over the edge with something really offensive. Or at least throw a "tribal" in there. 

His gowns are extravagant and highly detailed. Very intricately made. Nothing that designers put out for the runway reminded me of what Charles James had accomplished. In fact, none of the designers' dresses qualified as gowns. I'm not saying that had to follow James' designs to a T. None of them is that talented, but none of those dresses were gowns. I'm surprised by the judges, but I think Zac gave the best critiques. Zac knows how to make dresses and gowns.

I saw the exhibit when it was at the Met. They only showed one area. The exhibit was housed in two wings of the museum. Anyway, to be fair, they had a day. One. You can't make a Charles James gown in one day. And yes, I love Zac and the fact that he refuses to go along with the Amanda nonsense.

Also, did anybody catch Sean's face when they were raining compliments on Amanda's outfit. He had this look as if he was thinking "What the (bleep) are these judges on?!"

It's Fashion Week right now in NY. Looking at some of the street style photos I wonder how you can possibly design for people who have such poor taste. It's the same feeling I get watching Heidi and Nina on Project Runway.

• Love 1

I used to be so excited by a challenge like this.  I love the glamorous gowns.  I remember beautiful ones done by Chris March, Leanne, Ulli, Kara, Rami, Michael Costello, Jeffrey's plaid gown, and many others.  What is with all these designers and their little "I don't do gowns."  What the heck?  Most of this season looks like major amateur hour.  The contestants are supposed to have some knowledge of fabrics and their characteristics and suitability for various designs, aren't they?  Tim gave significant advice to Meana Korrina, so why didn't he advise Sandhya and Fade to make long gowns?  I guess I should be happy Amanda didn't make a poopy pants ensemble.

• Love 6

Samantha: Sean and I's fabric are pretty much a clear match.

This quote made me want to take a red pen to my tv screen. How many grammar mistakes can you fit in one sentence?

This! Right after this, I ff'd to the runway. This and Jewelery.  It's like "Realator."  

The judges need better crack. Or a few years off.   

Shut up Amanda. 

• Love 1

The Amandification of the term WTF continues...my current conspiracy theory is that Amanda is telling the producers she can get Maroon 5 to play for free for the finale episode.

Hmn. Maybe for Tim's visit to her home her brother and his band could conveniently be having a jam session? Maroon 5 are kind of unrelentingly terrible now that they've leeched all the personality out of their music and it's just Adam Levine "singing" in a style that fits with the most innocuous thing that's popular on the radio at the moment.

Amanda annoyed me when she talked about how Charles James was so punk rock. First of all, no. I would never look at any of his designs and mentally label them as punk rock. But of course Amanda can't like anything that ISN'T punk rock. The way she said it reminded me of Frankie on the first San Diego season of The Real World or Avril Lavigne. All these girls like to pride themselves on being rebellious punks when they are just as mainstream as the girls they abhor.

I thought I was going to injure myself rolling my eyes when she talked about how "punk rock" Charles James was. Shut up, Amanda. Shut up.

They are trying so hard to be hip they are coming off as ridiculous.

They've done this with so many designers in the past. Melissa Fleis and April Johnston stand out as two particularly annoying examples. One of the things that throws me about Amanda is that she isn't that young. She's more like Michelle from season 11. Less talented of course but an slightly older lady trying to be cool.

That said, while I wasn't impressed with Samantha's design, I think they sent the wrong designer home. Going head to head with Alexander:

Yes, all of that.

• Love 3

This episode.....

1. Char - Sorry, I don't agree with the TG save.  I like Char, she seems really nice, and maybe TG is seeing something I'm not seeing.  But from where I sit Char hasn't sent anything particularly risky and fashion forward down the runway.  While I didn't agree when TG saved Justin, I saw that at that point Justin had tried to take risks, they just hadn't worked out, especially with the glue gun thing.  I wish he would have saved it for someone who had more design ideas.  But to send down a long skirted white peplum dress after having just been saved....I just don't know.

2. Amanda - I didn't hate her look, but I thought the jacket was just too messy to be in the top.  I also think it didn't highlight the bracelet.  I don't think you should get points just because you take a risk, I think it has to be well executed and appropriate for the challenge too.

3. Korina - say what you will about her personality, but I absolutely agree with her win.  That coat was different and fabulous.  And the dress, while simple, was also fabulous.

4. Alexander - I have no idea why he wouldn't choose a different neckline for a necklace like that.  I also think that with a strong piece like the one he had, simple would have been better.  The dress was so distracting.

5. Samantha - I felt bad for her, but I understood where the judges were coming from.  It the choice of the bottom two comes down to someone who did a good job but didn't take any risk, and someone who did a sub par job but had risky design elements they are always going to go with the risk taker.  At the same time, I think it would have been a much closer call if Samantha had had a stunning necklace.

6. Shandaya - I really liked her dress.  I thought it was well executed, and I think it should have been in the top over Amanda's

7. Kini - what a shock!  It was a nice dress, but I'm surprised it wasn't perfect.

I don't think you should get points just because you take a risk, I think it has to be well executed and appropriate for the challenge too.

Kini - what a shock!  It was a nice dress, but I'm surprised it wasn't perfect.

Regarding your first statement, I think it applies to many of the designers.

I didn't mind Sandhya's dress from last night either, but it looked more like a cocktail hour-style dress rather than a gown. 

I was surprised that Kini didn't finish his dress in the usual two hours.  ;)

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I have decided that I know absolutely nothing about fashion.

Amanda's was awful as far as I was concerned.  Alexander's wasn't much better.  (and how does he keep winning fan favorite?????)

Kini's had issues, but I didn't think it was near as bad as all that.  My daughter kept saying how country Korina's coat was and I thought the necklace was lost on the black dress.

I think people feel sorry for him.  The camera always catches him looking like a slack jaw yokel with the IQ of a banana.  I keep expecting to see drool.

Hubris, thy name is Kini.

He's so likable, though, I felt sorry for him.  Didn't Tim tell him to lower the hem...?

Tim did, but Kini was dumb to listen.  He should have known his audience, and its never too short for Heidi unless you can see asscheeks.  And even then, I think her question would be "but tasteful asscheeks?"

So next week is a rain runway. Has Heidi been in contact with Tyra for ideas? A rain runway is straight out of ANTM.

For real right.  I think a show is really rubbing the shark on the nose when you have to rely on gimmicks and nonsense like a "rainway"

I do not want to see wet clothes, I want to see beautiful clothes.

Did anybody else get the AARP commercial with Tim Gunn?  I thought that was interesting given PR's supposed concentration on youth.

I think thats close, but I think PR is concentrated on older people trying desperately to cling to youth.  And I'm looking at you "instagram moment" Nina.

Is that the one where he's droning - err, going - on about how it's never to late too change course in life? I must have zoned out before the end every time, I had no idea that was for AARP. 

"Listen up, over-fifties: One day you're sitting in your office at Parsons, reading Gawker and regretting your life choices. Then it all changes, and ten years later, you're introducing the 'Vice President of Brand Transformation' and extolling the great taste of bottomless fries. THIS FRESH HELL CAN BE YOURS TOO!"

I feel like you're somehow belittling the concept of bottomless fries????  ;)

I think the only moment that I liked during the judging was when Heidi asked the Chopard director how much one of the necklaces (I think?) was. And the director leaned over and said, "For you?"  It felt like a moment when Heidi simply forgot the cameras were there, and the director reacted like the saleswoman she is, faced with a price inquiry from a woman who could actually afford to buy the piece she was asking about. Too bad they both snapped out of the moment before the Chopard director could actually utter the number! I can just imagine her offering a "special price" to a "very special woman."

My favorite part was when she very undercover shaded PR for only giving the designers 24 hours to make a gown worthy of such jewelry.

Ditto.  I feel like they somehow tricked Chopard into thinking that this was the same PR as 5 years ago when they had high end sponsors.  Or they signed the sponsorship agreement years ago and Chopard couldn't get out of the contract.  The chick from Chopard didn't look happy, and I'm glad she made a comment about how her jewelry is made in more than 24 hours.  Zing!

Thanks, Day2Day! I actually miss the Oompah Loompah-skinned dude.

I miss MK too!  But I do love me a bitchy man with some fashion sense :)

Hmn. Maybe for Tim's visit to her home her brother and his band could conveniently be having a jam session?

The question is will they be laying down sweet tunes when he gets there?

• Love 12

I pretty much disagreed with the jewelry lady judge regarding what colors went with what jewelry. 

Kini:  White for diamonds?  No.  Boring.

Alexander:  I thought the grey color perfectly set off the red/white of the necklace, when you could see it, that is.

Korina:  That sparkly black necklace almost clashed with the matte black dress.  When you could even notice it, that is.

I figured Samantha was a goner as soon as she picked the most boring, non-inspiring jewelry for a gala.

JMHO.

Also, that shiny black necklace made the black of the dress look brownish.

• Love 2

For real right.  I think a show is really rubbing the shark on the nose when you have to rely on gimmicks and nonsense like a "rainway"

I do not want to see wet clothes, I want to see beautiful clothes.

Ha! Exactly. They could erect a rainway structure that's a cutout of Tyra's face so that the models would have to walk through the forehead.

I agree. If I were a designer, I wouldn't want my clothing to get wet.

Oh, and even after Alexander's been auf'ed, I plan to flood the Fan Favorite voting for him.  ;)

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4

YES! Jane Seymour's Open Hearts jewelry looks like 2 butts on a chain!!!

• Love 1

SSAHotchner - BTW, I'm currently binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix.

I know thats totally off topic, and my apologies, but I had to say something.  Especially because Thomas Gibson really rings my bell...or at least I wish he would.

• Love 3

Hmn. Maybe for Tim's visit to her home her brother and his band could conveniently be having a jam session?

The question is will they be laying down sweet tunes when he gets there?

Touche, madam. I am curious if Amanda would genuinely call Maroon 5 "punk rock." I doubt that even she could do that with a straight face.

I agree. If I were a designer, I wouldn't want my clothing to get wet.

I'm hoping the point will be that they have to create waterproof outfits. Which could be interesting. Testing a supposedly waterproof fabric with a rain runway is mildly more legitimate than making models walk down a runway with giant swinging pendulums or spraying them with silly string simply because you enjoy torturing people and seeing what it will take to make them fall. Remember when they had to walk down a vertical runway in the rain? This is... sort of better than that?

I miss MK too!  But I do love me a bitchy man with some fashion sense :)

How does that explain why you miss MK? I kid, I kid. But seriously, not a fan of his cheap humor or his lack of taste.

• Love 5

Nina's comment was even worse than that- I just went back to listen to that particular part and she said "It looks like what the PR intern is wearing instead of the IMPORTANT PERSON". She actually said it just like that. I do understand the concept that she was saying it was too plain and not a stand out, but to categorize people between interns and important says a bit about Nina herself.

Char seems to be a very nice person from what we've seen, but before Tim used his save on Char he really needed to take another look at that bright yellow monstrosity from last week- would have dried his tears right up!

It truly was cruel to take the designers to the museum to see those beautiful creations that took weeks to make and expecting them to be able to use that inspiration in one day. The time constraint is taking this show down (not the only thing, but one of the most glaring and solvable problems).

• Love 7

I think Char's might've been. When the designers chose their jewelry, everything was artfully displayed to its best advantage in under glass. When Char chose her jewels, Tim whipped them out like he was carrying them in his pocket and slid them across the table like they were peanuts or something. Char, you want these? Or these?  Where was the black gloved assistant to carefully lay out her sparklies?

• Love 3

So, let me get this straight...

Amanda steals an outfit from Peg Bundy's wardrobe from Sears and is in the top 3. Korina steals the win from Sean with her Bride of Dracula look that overshadowed the necklace, but even-stevens because Sean stole last week's overdue win from Kini, who apparently wasn't paying attention when Char stole his Save.  All said and done, Zac stole my heart when he sent Amanda's gala catsuit straight to the butt-ugly list.

Next week's rainway is probably a clever way to have fun with the snooze fest happening this season.  I agree, pleeeeze give these aspiring (and somewhat clueless) designers more time, especially with challenges like this.  Nothing creative is happening anymore, it's all crap.  Go ahead, drench it all.

• Love 9

I think Char's might've been. When the designers chose their jewelry, everything was artfully displayed to its best advantage in under glass. When Char chose her jewels, Tim whipped them out like he was carrying them in his pocket and slid them across the table like they were peanuts or something. Char, you want these? Or these?  Where was the black gloved assistant to carefully lay out her sparklies?

Haha, well I think they were just actually photos of the jewelry, like the one Samantha cut out and wore.  I thought the whole "none of you will even touch them" was hilarious.  I wonder why they trust the models but not the designers?

• Love 1

When Amanda said she was going to make a jumpsuit, I thought it would have wide legs and look more like a split skirt.  I cannot imagine someone wearing a skintight jumpsuit to a gala.  Was she thinking of the MTV video awards?   It made no sense with her jewelry.  The organza overlay was ridiculous.  I think they gave her credit for sewing the organza rather than designing that POS look.   The praise for this look reminded me of when the bright green neoprene dress with the big splash of dye won – the designer put it together in about an hour out of desperation.  This was another crazy Nina like it moment. 

Samantha’s dress seemed like something that the people who hand the awards to the winners at a major award show would wear.  At the Oscars, the women who carry the statuettes on stage usually wear simple, dark evening gowns that are very classic but plain.   Being formal, they don’t look out of place on the stage.  Being plain, they don’t outshine the award recipients or presenters. 

I wonder if the watch and ring that Samantha had was supposed to go with one of the pairs of earrings from which Char got to choose.  I’m rocking my watch and ring because I plan to keep my hand in front of my face on the runway.  (Just saw your post, sleepyjean, and I think you may be right.  Char was lucky she didn’t get a Seymour Butts necklace).

Whenever I see Korina and Amanada together I think they should mash their faces together.  Korina’s large chin could fill in for Amanda’s lack of a chin.  I’ll let myself out . . . .

• Love 4

I got screwed by the programming glitch too, so I had to watch on Hulu tonight.  I appreciate that Korina's was bold and different, but I thought the necklace was ugly and blended into the jumpsuit.  I agree with whoever said all the jewelry was underwhelming.  

Ugh, more see-thru crap from Amanda.  I'm starting to hate her face, and that mole is so distracting.

Aside from the poor execution, I kinda liked Alex's.  His face drives me crazy though. 

I liked Char, but that TG save was bizarre and a waste.  Also, I hate peplum. 

I'm a bitch when I'm tired.

• Love 1

I got screwed by the programming glitch too, so I had to watch on Hulu tonight.  I appreciate that Korina's was bold and different, but I thought the necklace was ugly and blended into the jumpsuit.  I agree with whoever said all the jewelry was underwhelming. 

In positive news at least you got to see the show without it being covered by a monstrous social media ad.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 2

Are you kidding me!!! Amanda in the top with a cat suit and a piece of ill fitted, ugly organza (or whatever that fabric crap was) over it. Judges. Get real! That outfit was for, well, I don't know what it was for.

I did love Korina's outfit. I didn't care for the neckline on the dress. But I thought the outfit was indeed a winner. I would love that coat to wear with jeans. Adorable!

Alexander's dress was horrible. But I still liked it better than Amanda's cat suit.

For the first time, I didn't like Kini's design.

Samantha's dress was weird to me. The fabric looked cheap and it wrinkled.

I loved Sean's look. The model looked impeccable. But, I am still mad at him for stealing Kini's win last week.

I think Amanda should have gone home. Taking risks my aunt fanny.

I am still shocked that Amanda's look was in the top. I am so sick of her.

• Love 3

I finally got to see this episode after the programming screw up. I got spoiled for the winner & who was eliminated, but I had no idea that Char got brought back, so at least there was one surprise. 

Once again I find myself wishing that the judges would share whatever it is they're drinking/smoking, WTF are they thinking? This is what I was thinking:

Liked

Char - A little too tight, the model looked like she couldn’t walk
Emily – I thought the necklace was perfect for the dress

Thought It Was OK
Fade – Too simple
Sandhya – It looked like a cocktail dress more than a gala dress
Sean – I thought the velvet looked strange on the bottom.

Didn’t Like
Korina - the necklace & the coat didn’t go, & the fabric of the coat didn’t go with the fabric of the dress. Just all round ugly, how did this win?
Kini – the short dress was ugly
Amanda – Just no,  Zac was the only judge that could see how ugly it was. But I loved the necklace Amanda was wearing.
Alexander – Looked like a pile of fabric was just thrown on the model
Samantha – I liked it until they showed close-ups & I saw how badly sewn & fitted it was. This looked less professional than Alexander’s so, she’s gone.

I'm glad some others noted the Lucy Ricardo connection/Amanda's abomination.  It looks like something she'd have on when the Mertzes came over to play bridge.

Thank you for this, it made watching the episode worth while.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

I agree that Nina's and Heidi's comments regarding only the PR people would wear Samantha's design on the red carpet, and for the reason others have stated - they're meant to blend into the background on a red carpet.  It was the "important person" comment that got me.  Taken in context, maybe it wouldn't have if it came from someone else, but I do think that Nina looks at the entire world that way, not just the red carpet.  To her, only rich and famous folk who wear designer clothes are important and everyone else...  Totally not. 

• Love 3

Nina's comment was even worse than that- I just went back to listen to that particular part and she said "It looks like what the PR intern is wearing instead of the IMPORTANT PERSON". She actually said it just like that. I do understand the concept that she was saying it was too plain and not a stand out, but to categorize people between interns and important says a bit about Nina herself.

Yes! It was the "important person" part that made my jaw drop.

If I were to give Nina the benefit of the doubt and assume she didn't mean to sound bitchy, then she could have made her point in a different way without that tone attached to it.

A few weeks back, she talked about how she started as an intern. Did she see herself as unimportant at that time? I thought her remark was stupid regardless of how she meant it.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

I don't know why Nina didn't just say "the star" instead of "the important person" or even "the famous person"

If she had said "star" or "the famous person," then it wouldn't have been obnoxious.

For me, Zac is the only tolerable judge. It's not that I dislike Heidi, but I question her taste quite often.

I keep hoping that we're going to get wow'ed by the designers this season, but so far: nothing. They're all kind of bland.

• Love 2

I am now convinced more than ever that this show is in tight budget mode. It explains why there are only one day challenges...even for a gala dress to highlight million dollar diamonds. And they threw a field trip in as part of that same day to give them even less time (unless it was edited to fool us). AND I am now convinced to save money, Alex won the fan favorite week one..,and they aren't even using the results of polls any more so that they can use the same graphic and voice over every week to avoid wasting the resources to do another.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 7

If I were to give Nina the benefit of the doubt and assume she didn't mean to sound bitchy, then she could have made her point in a different way without that tone attached to it.

This is the same woman who made a disparaging remark about Guatamalan fashion to Valerie, who then revealed she is from Guatamala.  Nina's response was a shrug.  I find it hard to give her the benefit of the doubt anymore.

For me, Zac is the only tolerable judge.

If he would just stop being skeevy, the way he puts his hands all over the models.

It's not that I dislike Heidi, but I question her taste quite often.

Me, too.  It's hard not to question her taste, based on what she wears, and on her oft-expressed love of short, shiny, and low-cut.  But I do think she is more thoughtful these days, generally, in her judging comments.  And she's kind in her kiss-offs to the auf'ed.

AND I am now convinced to save money, Alex won the fan favorite week one..,and they aren't even using the results of polls any more so that they can use the same graphic and voice over every week to avoid wasting the resources to do another.

LOL!  That can be the only reason Alexander keeps getting fan fave.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 1