Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Chapter Twenty Two - Guns for Hire

• Start Topic

This episode was camp as hell and had "side quest" written all over it. "You had me at battle droids." Fun! Did not have a Mon Calamari-Quarren love story on my bingo card. Also, what is up with giving female aliens, who look like they would reproduce very differently from Earth mammals, boobs? Then again, laws of physics only apply when convenient in the SW universe so...

As soon as we heard that muzak over the speakers flying into Plazir-15 I knew we were in for a ride. Speaking of rides, it's THAT easy to take external control of a ship?! Holy moly. Bo-Katan was not even fazed. And weren't she and Din uncharacteristically naive, listeining to those sleek black versions of robots and stepping right into that pod? And then... JACK BLACK AND LIZZO. I was as surprised as Grogu. Who loved Lizzo, of course – that's universal. Lol. Even helping her achieve a quadro blast. So mischievous. 

Look at Din the diplomat! "The next episode should be at the docks" – well, NOW it is. And a droid bar! Now I've seen it all. That was my favorite scene by far. 

Plazir (plaisir – pleasure), Bombardier, Commissioner Helgait (Hellgate?)... those names were more on the nose than Mon Calamari.

Why did they even need their "domed paradise" on a lush green planet with obviously breathable atmosphere? Except for plot purposes, of course. 

Talk about a blade/ace up your sleeve, Din. And he knew juuuuust the moment to use it. 

• Like 13

Yeah…I’m not trusting Jack Black’s character. He’s up to no good. The way his smile frequently didn’t match his eyes made me suspicious. Also, why does Mando keep leaving Grogu with perfect strangers?! At least show him running a background check or something!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I can see the conversation now:

Favreau: "Jack! Would you like to--"

Jack Black: "YES!"

Is Lizzo a SW fan? She and Jack Black did make the cutest couple.

I don't trust Jack Black's character OR Christopher Lloyd's. I know this theory has a name but I can't remember it right off-hand...maybe someone can help me with it. I don't see anyone taking actors like C. Lloyd and J. Black and putting them in only one episode. Not even just because Black and Lloyd are SW fans.

Besides, the whole C. Lloyd's character capitulating so quickly looked staged to me. But maybe I'm wrong. And having C. Lloyd's character be a droid all along would mirror "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

Spoiler

where it turned out he was a 'toon all along.

(I realize the spoiler bar probably isn't necessary, but just in case....)

All in all I'm enjoying this season. I understand ratings have dipped, but I really think it's because people are waiting for the whole season to drop so they can binge it.

• Like 5
(edited)

This democracy is not going to last... It resembles Pre-Revolution France... Doc Brown is on a mission to destroy Utopia... see what happens during his exile...prison moon packed with angry outcasts waiting to be radicalized...

image.png.198b811c2be4861a53e2058711a3a01e.png

Bo: As your Queen, I order you to kill everything on Mandalore... except the Mythosaur.

Edited by paigow
  • Like 1

I feel like this episode was a fevered dream Stefan pitch from SNL. This episode has everything! Jack Black, Lizzo, forbidden interspecies romances invaded by privateers, kicking robots, space croquet, Doc Brown as a Count Dooku cultist...

I was kind of surprised that Mando just let Lizzo babysit Grogu all episode. That planet was weird as hell.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13

I guess if Din is going to let Grogu stay with anyone all day, it's gotta be Lizzo.  Who wouldn't want to hang out with Lizzo all day!?

I re-watched last week's episode before this one, and I caught the nod that Din gave to Bo at the end when the Armorer was announcing Bo's mission.  I just knew that the nod meant, "yeah, sure, we'll go with you" rather than just a nod of approval.  Glad that I was right!

I don't know if we should trust Jack Black's character or not, but I don't get the impression that they'll be back.  I think this was just a cute side-story to get to the main point of the episode when Bo reunited with her group again.  It's about damn time!  We know that Star Wars is nothing without fan service, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's all this ends up to be, but it could be more.  Who knows.

What's the significance of Grogu becoming a knight of that planet though?  

• Like 11
5 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

What's the significance of Grogu becoming a knight of that planet though?  

Consolation prize for not becoming a Jedi Knight... and he can continue cheating for Lizzo at that game...

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

I really liked this episode. I may even love it. It was camp and fun, but this is a sci-fi show. We should have weird planets, droid bars, and characters. It was a detective story and buddy cop show basically. Grogu even had fun. 

It was also useful to see both leads be a new uncomfortable environment. The side quest showed both characters' strengths. They make a fantastic team. Grogu learning from them both in terms of diplomacy and warfare would make him a great warrior and leader as he grows up.

15 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I was kind of surprised that Mando just let Lizzo babysit Grogu all episode. That planet was weird as hell.

I was at first but the way Grogu lept into her arms told us she was a friend. He even helped her cheat in her game. Grogu is strong in the force so he should have instincts for people even as a child especially so considering his PTSD. He's been friendly with other good characters like Peli, Ahshoka, Bo-Katan (he was riding up beside her at the pilot seat at the start), and now the Duchess.

• Like 15

I feel like Katee knew this was her episode, and she owned it.  She had this easy confidence and humor when Bo and Din were investigating the droids - while the confrontation with Axe was more serious and intense.  I really enjoyed the leadership duel as well.  And, it’s good to have the Darksaber chain of custody sorted out.  As expected, Harry Potter wand provenance applies.

I feel like some parts of the episode were a maybe a bit more campy than I expect from Star Wars - but overall it was a fun show.  Bo and Din make a good team - he’s the streetwise cop who shakes things up, and she’s the by the books detective who can put together the different puzzle pieces to solve the case.

Loved the planet.  Monorails and Geodesic Domes?  It was all my Epcot dreams come true.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

Nice job on the part of the posters who noted from episode 2 that Bo defeated that thing that captured Din on Mandalore and should therefore possess the Dark Saber.  Bo and Din having some interesting back-and-forth in this episode (joking, disagreeing a little bit, and ultimately displaying complete loyalty to one another) was really enjoyable.

4 hours ago, Cloudly said:

This episode was camp as hell and had "side quest" written all over it. "You had me at battle droids." Fun!

Sure was some campy fun.  Not just the insane cameos with the arch line delivery, but also the single, big red button to convert all the droids into attack droids at once, or Bo cutting to the chase and just zapping Christopher Lloyd a la Indiana Jones in the middle of Lloyd’s villain speech. The only thing missing was Duchess Lizzo playing a space flute.

My favorite part was when the Mandalorians were Saturday tailgating outside their ships and Bo had to get down to business.  Her using her shield to block Axe’s flamethrower was dope.  Din should tell Bo that droids killed his entire family and community, and then she might stop ribbing him about his issues with them.

Was it Axe and the crew who broke Moff Gideon out of custody?  They don’t seem very trustworthy.  Bo is going to have to find a way to decouple authority to rule from possession of the Dark Saber, or she will just have people forever challenging her to death battles. Strange people distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.  😁  

• Like 7
  • LOL 7

I had no idea there was a transitive property for war spoils in Mandalorian battles, although I wondered when Bo-Katan picked up the dark saber a few episodes back to kick the arse of the thing that captured Mando if she would give it back to him. Then she did give it back so I assumed that wasn't enough for it to change owners. I was obviously wrong...

(edited)

I liked this episode because it reminded me of Doctor Who as I am familiar with it. (Eccles, Tennant and Smith). I was waiting though for the other shoe to drop with Grogu being charmed and dazzled by Lizzo. Because in Doctor Who camp can turn to tragedy or nefarious things in a second.

The call back to season one "I have spoken" was lovely.  I never liked the prospect of Din and Bo having to fight over the Dark Saber so I am quite happy about the technicality they used to avoid it.  Din never wanted the Dark Saber and he never got comfortable with it. 

Wasn't it battle droids who killed Din's family? No surprise how he acted towards them here.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 8

Jack Black, Lizzo, and Christopher Lloyd?  When BDH was asked how many celebrity cameos she wanted, she only responded with "Yes".

This episode felt like a live action Clone Wars episode.  I could see Obi-Wan and Anakin doing all this in happier times.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Really fun episode. Lizzo was a complete surprise and did really well in the role. Jack Black and Christopher Lloyd were unsurprisingly perfect for their parts. Once again another episode where they pulled together threads from a previous episodes to advance the plot without hitting us over the head with PLOT. 

Someone needs to give Bryce Howard Dallas her own Star Wars series to direct. Every one of her episodes are amazing. 

7 hours ago, Cloudly said:

Why did they even need their "domed paradise" on a lush green planet with obviously breathable atmosphere?

Probably so pesky little things like weather doesn’t interfere with their nonstop party. Plus is looks cool. 

10 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

This episode felt like a live action Clone Wars episode.  I could see Obi-Wan and Anakin doing all this in happier times.

Except they would be fighting over who got to kick and bully the battle droids. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Seeing some of the hate from some fans online for this episode and I don't share the criticisms I guess because 1) I recognize Star Wars has always been inherantly goofy and it's just better to accept it and 2) I've watched enough old TV where shows had 22 episodes a season and it was mostly "filler" and those were more fun than the ones that drove the overall plot and 3) the only previous options to the question of who gets the Darksabre than Bo killing Din(not likely) or Din killing Bo and becoming leader of the Mandalorians(not preferable).

• Like 5

Loved it--fun side quest full of high camp, sci-fi weirdness, and pure Star Wars delight. The cameos were super fun. I loved Jack Black and Lizzo's very loving bickering as they were explaining the droid situation. Grogu helping her cheat at space bug lawn games was too cute.

Really enjoyed Bo-Katan and Mando as buddy cops. Mando kicking droids cracked me up, though I liked that Bo-Katan took him to task for his attitude in the (fabulous) droid bar when it was clearly working against their favor. I liked seeing both of them take the lead at different points.

The showdown between Bo-Katan and Axe was well-done, and I'm glad about how things resolved with the Darksaber.

Colorful, wild, and fun. I don't mind the goofiness, and I don't get the complaints about there not being enough of an "arc" this season. Most of season 1 was Mando taking random side-quest jobs to pay their way across the galaxy, and it was mainly disconnected until he collected up his allies to take on the Client in the lead-up to the finale.

• Like 13
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Ah well, a bit of fun for a change. I loved the cameos and all the worldbuilding, heartbreaking love-story, the buddy cop comedy and knight Grogu! I also loved the whole CSI shout-out complete with 'enhance that' LOL! 

Interesting that for the first time (IIRC) a Mandalorian brought up Din's non-Mandalorian blood. Seems that in that respect the covert is the progressive community at least. 

Bo-Katan never gets that Darksaber in a straight-up duel but good for her. And for Din, because ruling Mandalore was clearly never on his bucket list. And even if Bo-Katan did not fight Din her fight with Axe was kickass. I agree that Katee Sackhoff really ruled over this episode. Loved how she played Bo here, cool and commanding, slightly amused throughout the side-quest and by the end clearly conflicted until she decided to make her move. .

I have a strong suspicion that most folks who loved CW are okay with this episode while those who aggressively don't want to acknowledge the animated shows are mostly in the hate camp.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

There was cameos all over the place in this one. Jack Black, Lizzo and Christopher Lloyd. 

It did seem more like a clone wars side quest episode. But I didn't hate it. I'm glad they went with a technicality with Bo getting the Darksabor. She does know how to use it much better than him. Are they going somewhere with Bo and Din? Having the 2 different sides rule Mandalore together.

Did Lizzo know that Grogu was cheating for her? I think she was trustworthy because Grogu likes her. Jack Black was acting a little sus. Maybe he and the security guy are working together. Maybe secretly testing battle droids for the empire. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Next up in Din's journey?  The Planet of Famous People!  Yup, we not only got Jack Black and Lizzo showing up as the planet's democratic rulers (I'm unfamiliar with Lizzo outside her music, but she was natural enough on camera.  How much acting has she done?), but then freaking Christopher Lloyd shows up as an eventual treacherous security guy.  Hell, they even got some decently recognizable names to voice the aliens/droids, like Christine Adams (Quarren Captain), Dale Dickey (the Ugnaught worker), Seth Gabel (the droid bartender), and the Mon Calamari was voiced by Harry Holland, the brother of Tom.  I thought he sounded a bit like Peter Parker, but not quite!  Of course, my favorite was still probably Matthew Wood reprising a B-1 Series Droid.  They are the best (Roger, Roger!)

I was wondering if Bo's first stop might be to try and re-recruit her former squad.  Fun seeing Axe Woves (still the best name ever!) and Koska Reeves (played by the artist/wrestler formerly known as Sasha Banks) again, and I'm curious to see how they will factor in going forward.  Even if Bo beat Axe fair and square and know has the Dark Saber due to Din exploiting a loophole (got to love a good old loophole!), I still wonder if she'll receive some push back from some of them.  And I can only imagine the trouble that might happen once this gang mixes in with Din's group.  But, hey, most anything would be better than being used to chase around nobles and deny true love, dammit!

On the surface, the civilization certainly looks like Utopia, but there are so many red flags over having the droids do almost all of the work and organics almost ceasing any kind of workable skills.  All it would take it one virus and things could completely fall apart.  And while I don't want to assume the worst of Jack Black's character, we already have seen that the New Republic's form of rehabilitation isn't perfect...

Grogu was definitely having the time of his life though.

Glad that they brought back up Din's anti-droid stance, which isn't pleasant, but it is understandable why he is still this way due to his childhood.

Continue to think Bryce Dallas Howard needs a crack at an actual Star Wars feature, because she seems to have a knack for it in the director's chair.

Fun and maybe campy episode, but I enjoyed.  I guess I'm not surprised the online response elsewhere hasn't been positive, but whatever.  I enjoy the serious moments well enough, but sometimes I just enjoy watching Din and company deal with the silliness that surrounds them. 

• Like 16

I absolutely loved this episode.  Probably the best of the season.

That said, here is something that probably won’t be very popular.  It’s time to get rid of Grogu and let Mando stand on his own.  This whole season Grogu has been a side-character and brings almost nothing to the story anymore.  Send him back to Luke or to Tatooine with Peli.  He is no longer needed.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Interesting that for the first time (IIRC) a Mandalorian brought up Din's non-Mandalorian blood. Seems that in that respect the covert is the progressive community at least. 

Good point and I think it highlights a big difference between former foundling Din and the blood Mandalorians who can spout off about clan this or house that. Din is just grateful to have been taken it and doesn’t want to lose his found family. He doesn’t give a flying fuck about most of the things that usually divide Mandalorians. I’d really love to see him meet Sabine.

(edited)

Bo & Din on the hunt for rogue droids gave me Law and Order vibes - right down to standing behind the desk of a computer tech to review evidence.

I forgot how hot Axe Woves is!

Oh hey, Lizzo & Jack Black! The Dutchess cuddling Grogu was adorable.

So, Din has not quite gotten over his bias against droids. 

Loved seeing Ugnaughts again! And I loved that we got a little of Kuiil's music theme when we saw them.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well...that was certainly an episode.

I was mentally putting in the Law & Order "dun-dun" sound at various points in their investigation.

Kind of an anti-climactic resolution to the whole Darksaber affair.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, KeithJ said:

It’s time to get rid of Grogu and let Mando stand on his own.  This whole season Grogu has been a side-character and brings almost nothing to the story anymore.

He is the device that keeps Din from staying with Bo... and getting wiped out when The First Order / Gideon inevitably shows up...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

It was a fun episode. And Jack Black was not as annoying as usual (my least favorite episode of Community was the one where he guest starred). I was not familiar with Lizzo because I'm not into music and she never acted in anything I've seen before but she and Jack Black made a fun couple. Not sure if Jack Black's character is another example of failed Imperial rehabilitation or if he's the exception to the rule and really did rehabilitate.

• Like 2

I think I'll enjoy this one better on rewatch. It was so different, and I kept expecting something more dramatic to happen so I couldn't really focus on all the campy fun. But I did enjoy the Alice in Wonderland vibes, from the crazy Mad Hatter-esque party to the game of space croquet (cheating included). I also loved the droid bar (it was very Futurama), and was satisfied with the short Mandalorian-centered arc at the end. However, I couldn't stop laughing at the opening scene about the star-crossed lovers. It was like watching a bad school play!

I'm not sure I understood Helgait's plan. I get the point of having a master switch to control all the droids at once, but what was the point of having random malfunctions of individual droids? Was it a test run of the technology or did he just want to instill fear in the people? Since he was a Dooku superfan and not an admitted supporter of the empire or republic, I'm not really sure what his goal was here. I may have missed something.

• Like 7

Cherpumple said: I think I'll enjoy this one better on rewatch.

I agree -- I think this entire season is building up to a bigger picture, whether in the last 2 episodes to come, or setting up Season 4's story line, I won't try to guess right now. But I think after this season ends, I'll do a rewatch where I can binge all the episodes in one day and see how they fit together for the finale (or lead up to next season). Will probably catch things on re-watch that I didn't catch during the original viewing, which is always satisfying to get that "A-HA!" moment.

I wonder how much Gina Carano's firing affected the overall story line for this show. Was it always the writers' plan to bring in Bo-Katan to "partner" with Din Djarin in leading the reclamation of Mandalore?  If so, that could be why they had planned another show for Gina Carano so Din wouldn't have Grogu AND 2 women as his sidekicks?  I do prefer Katee Sackoff as Pedro's  leading lady, although Gina was excellent as kick-ass Cara Dune. 

One thing I do hope we get to see (doesn't have to be an entire episode, just a quick scene) is Din adopting Grogu to make him his official son--and maybe have Bo-Katan agree to raise Grogu if something should happen to Din before Grogu is able to take of himself.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, kimaken said:

Was it always the writers' plan to bring in Bo-Katan to "partner" with Din Djarin in leading the reclamation of Mandalore?  If so, that could be why they had planned another show for Gina Carano so Din wouldn't have Grogu AND 2 women as his sidekicks?

There were rumors before Carano was fired that her character was going to get her show or at the very least, make regular appearances on this show. I don't think either character would be considered sidekick anymore than other people who have helped Din along the way on his own journey.

Bo-Katan as a character predates this show by a decade including Sackhoff being cast in the animated series. Filoni kept writing for the character over two animated shows. She nudged him about reprising the role live action when this show got greenlit but I think they were always going to include her. Filoni and Favreau have been including more TCW and Rebels characters to these shows. Whether fans like her or not, the Bo-Katan character went through tons of things in the animated shows. They are likely trying to continue or finish her and the Mandalorians arc here.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

That ep was just cringey. From the rogue droids to the “m’lord and m’lady” to the challenge to lead the mercenaries to the “she who owns the blade,”  it felt more like a Saturday morning cartoon than a TV series. Not worth further comment, at least by me.

My face hurt when this one was over from grinning through the whole episode. It was so much fun. This world was a change of pace from most of the Star Wars worlds we've seen, futuristic without being dystopian (Coruscant may be nice for this universe, but it looks like my idea of hell).

For a little while, I was expecting Grogu to use the Force to help Bo-Katan, and that's what him helping the Duchess was setting up, but she won fair and square. I respect Din for admitting that she should be the holder of the Darksaber. True, he never wanted it and doesn't want to be targeted by every Mandalorian who wants to rule, but in a warrior culture like that, it takes a big man to admit he got his ass kicked, lost his weapon, and needed to be rescued.

The dinner had me imagining a letter to Space Miss Manners:
Do I invite my Mandalorian friend to a dinner party, even though I know he can't take off his helmet to eat in front of people, or is it ruder not to invite him because of his religious beliefs?
It would be rude to exclude him. Invite him and leave it up to him whether he wants to sit at the table and participate in the conversation without removing his helmet to eat. He has probably encountered this situation before and has ways to handle it. You could let him know when issuing the invitation that you are aware of his constraints and understand that it could be uncomfortable, but you wanted him to know he was included. Perhaps you could make accommodations, like inviting him to come early to enjoy his meal in a private room so he won't have to be hungry while watching others eat, and then at the dinner table serve him a drink with a long straw.

"Grogu doesn't take well to strangers" may be one of Din's biggest lies. How often have we seen Grogu not taking to a stranger? Grogu doesn't really have "strangers." He has "new friends" unless they're obviously flat-out evil and causing harm (or edible).

• Like 12
  • LOL 9

You really have to wonder what the pitch meeting for this episode was like. "So Bo and Din head to an Alice and Wonderland themed dome planet where they meet Duchess Lizzo and Funny Facial Hair Jack Black and proceed to star in an episode of Law and Order: Mandalore Unit where they meet Doc Brown (who's secretly the villain) and go to a droid bar while Grogu plays space croquet with Duchess Lizzo. Also Dark Saber Mandalorian stuff." 

That was such a fun episode, I had a great time watching throughout. Sure its a side quest, but it reminded me of season one when almost every episode was stand alone until the end where everything came together, I suspect they might be doing something similar this season. I personally like my Star Wars with a big heaping portion of camp, this franchise has always had a silly side to it even if some of the fandom doesn't like to admit to it. I enjoy the intense political intrigue of Andor just as much as the next fan, but, in the words of Willy Wonka: "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest man."

I loved seeing the weird party palace dome planet, I kept waiting for some big dramatic turn where the whole place is some terrifying dystopia but it turned out to be a pretty cool, even if they are clearly overly reliant on their droids. It felt very futuristic and like a space opera setting in a way that I really enjoyed. I'm so glad that I avoided spoilers so that I could really enjoy the surprise of seeing Lizzo and Jack Black showing up here in full campy glory, I am obsessed with that projected cape that the Duchess was wearing. Jack Black and Lizzo are surprisingly a very cute couple, I thought that Lizzo did a really good job. Singers trying their hands at acting can be hit or miss but I thought she was very natural and absolutely adorable with Grogu. Din was clearly talking out of his ass when he said that Grogu doesn't take to strangers, he loves making friends and he's a pretty good judge of character, so I guessed that the Duchess would be on the up and up, I was mostly wondering about Jack Black and his mustache. Who wouldn't want to play space croquet with Lizzo all day? 

I loved Bo and Din playing buddy cop as they investigated the droids, complete with them doing to the local bar to look for suspects, a chase scene, and even going to the coroners office to look at a computer to get the answers to the case before they arrest one of the big name guest stars. Bo just looked so amused throughout, after everything that has gone on with her she was probably happy to just have some shenanigan's. I also really liked exploring more about droids, getting their perspective on things and seeing the droid bar, which I love knowing exists now. Droids are obviously sentient and I am glad that the franchise is increasingly acknowledging that. 

Bo finally gets the Dark Saber fair and square! Everyone wins, Bo gets her Dark Saber, can use it to bring his people together, and now Din doesn't have to worry about it anymore, as he has zero interest in ruling Mandalore. 

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

On 4/5/2023 at 8:06 AM, vadare said:

I don't trust Jack Black's character OR Christopher Lloyd's. I know this theory has a name but I can't remember it right off-hand...maybe someone can help me with it.

I think the name for what you mean is something like guilty by reason of celebrity. (The big name celebrity guest staring on a procedural is often the villian/bad guy). 

On 4/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, Athena said:

I really liked this episode. I may even love it. It was camp and fun, but this is a sci-fi show. We should have weird planets, droid bars, and characters. It was a detective story and buddy cop show basically. Grogu even had fun. 

It was also useful to see both leads be a new uncomfortable environment. The side quest showed both characters' strengths. They make a fantastic team. Grogu learning from them both in terms of diplomacy and warfare would make him a great warrior and leader as he grows up.

I was at first but the way Grogu lept into her arms told us she was a friend. He even helped her cheat in her game. Grogu is strong in the force so he should have instincts for people even as a child especially so considering his PTSD. He's been friendly with other good characters like Peli, Ahshoka, Bo-Katan (he was riding up beside her at the pilot seat at the start), and now the Duchess.

I agree. It was enjoyable to see the different skill sets each brings to the adventure. If I want super serious dark political stuff, Andor exists. 

On 4/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, Chyromaniac said:

Bo and Din make a good team - he’s the streetwise cop who shakes things up, and she’s the by the books detective who can put together the different puzzle pieces to solve the case.

37 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I loved Bo and Din playing buddy cop as they investigated the droids, complete with them doing to the local bar to look for suspects, a chase scene, and even going to the coroners office to look at a computer to get the answers to the case before they arrest one of the big name guest stars. Bo just looked so amused throughout, after everything that has gone on with her she was probably happy to just have some shenanigan's. I also really liked exploring more about droids, getting their perspective on things and seeing the droid bar, which I love knowing exists now. 

I never realized I wanted Bo-Katan and Din in buddy-cop movie/series but now that I've seen it I want more of it.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:29 AM, Jediknight said:

Jack Black, Lizzo, and Christopher Lloyd?  When BDH was asked how many celebrity cameos she wanted, she only responded with "Yes"

I think the response was more like "Yes. All of them."

On 4/5/2023 at 1:13 PM, Fool to cry said:

2) I've watched enough old TV where shows had 22 episodes a season and it was mostly "filler" and those were more fun than the ones that drove the overall plot.

That was such a fun episode, I had a great time watching throughout. Sure its a side quest, but it reminded me of season one when almost every episode was stand alone until the end where everything came together, I suspect they might be doing something similar this season. I personally like my Star Wars with a big heaping portion of camp, this franchise has always had a silly side to it even if some of the fandom doesn't like to admit to it.

I'm with you. I don't need a season long story-arc to be happy. Give me a bunch of fun reasonably well-written, well-acted adventures and I'm happy. Mandalorain is pew-pew action/adventure mission of the week and I love it when that is what the show does. Grogu, as always, was adorable. 

23 hours ago, angora said:

Loved it--fun side quest full of high camp, sci-fi weirdness, and pure Star Wars delight. The cameos were super fun. I loved Jack Black and Lizzo's very loving bickering as they were explaining the droid situation. 

I want a combination workplace/domestic series about the couple, or a movie with them at the center inspired by something like Arsenic and Old Lace or Dinner at 8 or any episode of Fraiser involving a party. Give me a bedroom farce/some kind of party gone horribly wrong in multiple humorous ways. 

22 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Continue to think Bryce Dallas Howard needs a crack at an actual Star Wars feature, because she seems to have a knack for it in the director's chair.

Fun and maybe campy episode, but I enjoyed.  I guess I'm not surprised the online response elsewhere hasn't been positive, but whatever.  I enjoy the serious moments well enough, but sometimes I just enjoy watching Din and company deal with the silliness that surrounds them. 

I agree with you, give her a movie or her own series! I also throughly enjoyed the tone of this episode. Mandalorain is pew-pew action/adventure mission of the week and I love it when that is what the show does.

You really have to wonder what the pitch meeting for this episode was like. "So Bo and Din head to an Alice and Wonderland themed dome planet where they meet Duchess Lizzo and Funny Facial Hair Jack Black and proceed to star in an episode of Law and Order: Mandalore Unit where they meet Doc Brown (who's secretly the villain) and go to a droid bar while Grogu plays space croquet with Duchess Lizzo. Also Dark Saber Mandalorian stuff." 

If someone told me the initial pitch/basic plot summary was generated by playing a version of Mad-Libs, I would totally believe that. That being said, this may have been my favorite episode of the season so far. 

Grogu, as always, was adorable. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Bo finally gets the Dark Saber fair and square! Everyone wins, Bo gets her Dark Saber, can use it to bring his people together, and now Din doesn't have to worry about it anymore, as he has zero interest in ruling Mandalore. 

Nothing like the transitive property FTW. 

Great to hear Kuiil mentioned again. He was a fantastic character and a master at repairs. It is clear his name still carries much well-deserved respect. I have spoken.  

• Like 10
  • Love 2
(edited)

Gotta love how Din knows exactly how to speak to the Ugnaughts properly in order to get the information the seek, and then proceeds to just kick at random droids. "I found the malfunctioning one."

This season is a bit all over the place. So far I'm not feeling a cohesive story line but still enjoying the episodes nonetheless.

While I love the little guy more than anything, I do agree that Grogu needs something to do this season. Past finding Bo Katan to help save Din (which obviously was a big thing for him to do) he's just sorta been there.

Edited by RunningMarket
grammar
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

I really enjoyed this episode. Love Jack Black and Christopher Lloyd. It seems I'm in the minority, I thought Lizzo was just meh acting. I think she could be good with more practice but she was a bit stiff at least at the beginning of the episode. Her outfit was stunning as is she. Hubby and I have been saying exactly what Din did about the dark saber (though after watch the everything wrong with for episode 2 of this season I'm forever calling it a night saber now) anyway we've been saying that since it happened, glad to see it come to fruition

4 hours ago, Ottis said:

That ep was just cringey. From the rogue droids to the “m’lord and m’lady” to the challenge to lead the mercenaries to the “she who owns the blade,”  it felt more like a Saturday morning cartoon than a TV series. Not worth further comment, at least by me.

Agreed. It didn't work for me and I don't need a whole ep devoted to malfunctioning droids.

I loved the first 2 seasons, but this one has yet to capture my attention. I don't care about the celeb cameos - I need a story.

• Love 1

This might be my favorite episode of the season. It was just fun. I don't care much about an overall arc, this show to me is a fun procedural and I like my shows mostly self contained with a few moments or hints at an overall plot arc. I may be in the minority but I am someone who couldn't even finish Andor but I would watch multiple seasons of episodes like this one.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

While I love the little guy more than anything, I do agree that Grogu needs something to do this season.

Has he ever actually done all that much? I think the difference in the past hasn't been so much what Grogu has done, but rather that he's been the motivation behind what Din has been doing. Season one was about finding a safe place for him and keeping him away from the bounty hunters. Season two was about finding his people -- the Jedi. The action revolved around him, but in a lot of episodes he was just in the background looking cute. I don't think the amount of stuff he's actually doing is all that different. It's just that he's no longer the reason for the actions everyone else is taking. It's not about him anymore. He and Din are a clan, he chose Din over the Jedi, and that seems to have settled everything. I suppose perhaps that one reason Din wants to re-establish Mandelore as a home world is to give Grogu a real home and a place where he can belong as a Mandelorian foundling, but that's been less up front in the plotting than Din's previous quests.

• Like 14

Grrr. I gotta stop reading comments to certain youtube videos.  To those who are bitching that Grogu got knighted for

'helping Lizzo cheat", here's a novel concept: Sometimes nice people give rewards to small children simply for being charmed by them. Nobody thinks Grogu saved the Holy Grail or something.  IMO every time this traumatized child gets to make a friend, gets shown affection, gets to have fun is reason to be glad for him.

• Like 13
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Has he ever actually done all that much? I think the difference in the past hasn't been so much what Grogu has done, but rather that he's been the motivation behind what Din has been doing. Season one was about finding a safe place for him and keeping him away from the bounty hunters. Season two was about finding his people -- the Jedi. The action revolved around him, but in a lot of episodes he was just in the background looking cute. I don't think the amount of stuff he's actually doing is all that different. It's just that he's no longer the reason for the actions everyone else is taking. It's not about him anymore. He and Din are a clan, he chose Din over the Jedi, and that seems to have settled everything. I suppose perhaps that one reason Din wants to re-establish Mandelore as a home world is to give Grogu a real home and a place where he can belong as a Mandelorian foundling, but that's been less up front in the plotting than Din's previous quests.

I agree with this. Not really sure what fans are expecting from Grogu. Yes, he's former Jedi youngling but he's basically a toddler from a long living species. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, Grogu is going to have a long arc in the SW universe. His popularity with SW hard core and casual fans means that Disney will milk this golden cow for awhile. They want us to be invested in him for many years. Eventually this show will end, but the story of Grogu will probably continue through another live action show, an animated series, or both.

I've enjoyed Grogu's live action moments from helping Din and him making new friends along the way. He also got his own flashback scene which will be revisited next season.

The shared arc for Din, Grogu, and Bo-Katan that they are looking for home and community. Din was raised by the covert but he hasn't had family until Grogu. Grogu has needed a home since Order 66. Bo-Katan has struggled to find her and her people's place even longer.

• Like 12

There are folks who think Din should have left Grogu with Luke and there are folks who want Grogu to take more center stage. TPTB have kept him largely in the background this season so I would not be surprised if we end with a huge Grogu-related cliffhanger. My money's on him saying his first real words (sorry Peli). And from the few crumbs TPTB left with regards to that issue - he won't talk in Yoda's speech pattern. But I'm just spit-balling here so don't come after me.

I do enjoy Bo's little interactions with Grogu - like when she explained to him that they were going for a ride in this episode.

• Like 7
57 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Grrr. I gotta stop reading comments to certain youtube videos.  To those who are bitching that Grogu got knighted for

'helping Lizzo cheat", here's a novel concept: Sometimes nice people give rewards to small children simply for being charmed by them. Nobody thinks Grogu saved the Holy Grail or something.

Also, do we even know what knighthood means on that planet/within that culture? For all we know, knighthoods are given out by the royal couple like candy to random visitors and its actually a pretty meaningless title. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1