Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I nearly tuned out after the reply of “FEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-yords” but I still hoped for a better view of his shiny jacket which appears to be a style I’ve never seen before. (Not that I’m an expert on men’s fashion.) The only visible button is placed a lot higher up than I’d expect in a single-button jacket but behind the podium it was hard to figure out the cut. Anyway the fist pump for “Higgs” made me glad he and the jacket are gone.

• Like 11

I admired Brian's bold shirt color choices and the fact he clapped when Rachel got her DD. He looked genuinely happy for her when she won. Rachel was wearing a pretty blouse.

I don't keep track of what I know. To explain why, for FJ, I was in Africa. Yeah, I confused Caribbean with Mediterranean. Just too darn tired to pay attention.

• Like 4

April 7:

67% / 60% / 62%

Not a good end to the week. In J! I ran Shoes, missed one in Americana and Good "E", two in Norway, and three in Planet Franchise. In DJ I missed one in You Totally Ruled, Science, and Animalistic Words, two in Acronyms, three in Pop Culture, and four in Literary Titles. Did not get FJ, which gives me a perfect 0 for the contest this week. My TSes were epitome, Grieg, Dutch East India Co, and reticulated.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't keep track because I wasn't at my desk, but I know I was terrible in franchise planets and composers (no surprise, either one) -- I only got one in each (Battlestar Galactica and Handel).  Other than that, I did well in the first round; I'm pretty sure I only missed one or two others.

I did well in DJ; I think I only missed two each in pop culture and literature, when those are categories that can easily be stinkers for me, and either ran or got all but one in the rest.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but it didn't take me long perusing my mental map to come up with it.

I love Rachel's shirt.  I didn't realize I was rooting for her until I clapped when she won.

I laughed at the text of the Smokey Bear clue, since we discuss it every time a contestant says "Smokey the Bear".

I mentally applauded when the acronym category actually contained acronyms only, no initialisms.  But, holy cow, I have been on this planet nearly 50 years and did not know until tonight that Pakistan is an anagram!  (I got Kashmir easily, I just had somehow never come across that fact about the name.  How the hell did I miss that all my life?!)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

did not know until tonight that Pakistan is an anagram! 

I knew it was but I never would have been able to tell you what the initials stand for (other than Kashmir).

From wiktionary:

The word was coined by Choudhary Rahmat Ali, who published it in the pamphlet Now or Never issued on January 28, 1933, as an acronym of the names of the "Muslim homelands" of western India—Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Sindh, and Balochistan. An i was later added to the name to ease pronunciation.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 12
On 4/6/2023 at 1:05 AM, 3 is enough said:

He is staying off of Twitter for a while because of mean tweets about his appearance.  Good for him for putting his mental health first, but how sad that his Jeopardy experience was tainted like that. 

When you mak a choice to look like Hitler, it's hard for m to be sympathetic to you when people are averse to your appearance. And there's no way that how he's styled himself is not a choice.

Props to him for a broad base of knowledge, though.

If he truly doesn't want to look like Hitler, he can change his style and apologize for his oblivion, rather than throwing himself a pity party and begging for sympathy.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

When you mak a choice to look like Hitler, it's hard for m to be sympathetic to you when people are averse to your appearance. And there's no way that how he's styled himself is not a choice.

Props to him for a broad base of knowledge, though.

If he truly doesn't want to look like Hitler, he can change his style and apologize for his oblivion, rather than throwing himself a pity party and begging for sympathy.

I 100% do not think he “made a choice to look like Hitler.” 🙄 That is a really messed up and horrible thing to say. And he has already changed his look in response to the Twitter trolls.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 9
  • Applause 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If Mr. Smartypants hadn't tried to prove how great he was by including what he was sure was Rossini's first name,  he'd have won tonight.   Ha ha.

What do you mean? That question had no relevance to him winning or not. He lost because of how much he bet in FJ. Getting that one question wrong had no effect on FJ. That’s like if someone loses by $1 and you say “Well if they got one more $200 clue earlier they would have won!” Nope. He’d simply bet a slightly different amount and still lose because he did not know the answer.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 5

Got a little behind in my Jeopardy viewing, so I hope you don’t mind me backtracking a little…

I was very confident in my response of “On Golden Pond” for Wednesday’s FJ. I don’t know if it was a play, but I only remember 3 people being in it, and I’m pretty sure they were all nominated for Oscars. Insta…wrong! ‘80s movies should be my thing, but maybe not.

For Thursday’s show, I tried really hard to make something out of “Strasbourg”, but the closest I could come was sequins. (I know, not close at all.) Turned out, I should have focused on the “port” part of the clue and thought of rivers. Even though I didn’t get it, I thought this was a very clever FJ and I enjoyed the reveal.

Friday’s FJ was geography. ‘Nuf said.

Re. Brian: The first thing I noticed about him was his ill fitting jacket. The second was his resemblance to Hitler. (As others have noted, it’s more the hair than the moustache.) But while I may have commented at home, I never would have gone on Twitter to troll him about either of those. I don’t know what’s wrong with people. But while I’m sorry that the comments hampered his overall J! experience, at least now he knows how his styling choices are affecting his overall presentation. Even on a subconscious level, thinking “Hitler” when you meet someone would have to leave a less than favorable first impression. (And no, I’m not saying that the trolls were doing something good. They’re vile. I’m just trying to make lemonade.)

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, well, well.  If Mr. Smartypants hadn't tried to prove how great he was by including what he was sure was Rossini's first name,  he'd have won tonight.   Ha ha.

Mr. Helens and I had commented more than once about him showing off by including the (sometimes obscure) first names in his responses. I have to admit, I wasn’t sorry when it finally caught up to him.

At the risk of starting another regional debate, I was thinking of you all during the “mod” category. Brian kept pronouncing it “maud” which was driving me a little crazy. (I say “mahd”.) Ken pronounced it both ways, at different times. Bicoastal, maybe?

I was shocked that nobody knew Norman Mailer wrote “The Naked and the Dead”.

And open note to J! producers: When you’re doing a category with word puzzles or letter scrambles, can you please leave the clue on the screen for more than a second? Putting it in a box below the image of the contestants would be fine. I would just like to have the same amount of time to solve it as they have. On Thursday’s game, the first clue selected in  the Word Puzzle category flashed so fast that it didn’t even register.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

I was really shocked by Brian's loss.  But I am definitely okay with it.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Totally agree. I can't believe nobody had ever told him before he was on Jeopardy! that he looked like Hitler with the hair and the moustache. So he must have known what he looked like but chose to go with it anyway.

I did get the ts's of epitome, Greenfield Village, Ivan Denisovich, and aquiline but no FJ for me.  There are not all that many countries in South America so it should be easy but it isn't.  I need to study more.

Re the lattice pie crust, I have only ever seen it on cherry or maybe strawberry/rhubarb pies, so that the nice red colour shows.  It seems sort of useless on an apple pie.

• Like 4

How anyone can say his moustache was anything like Hitler's is beyond me, they are totally different in length, height & style. The hair I get a little but the moustache might look like that if it was 20% of the length & 150% of the height than it actually is, so absolutely nothing like Hitler had his, unless of course you think everyone with a black moustache looks like him.

• Like 10
59 minutes ago, Trey said:

I can't believe nobody had ever told him before he was on Jeopardy! that he looked like Hitler with the hair and the moustache. So he must have known what he looked like but chose to go with it anyway.

I don’t think that’s likely. For one thing, his appearance has probably evolved. Maybe the moustache came first, maybe the hair. But friends and family are still going to see the person they’ve always known. Strangers who meet him with no previous association (like us) may see a resemblance, but nobody is going to be rude enough to say so, unless they’re a Twitter troll.

Besides, unless they’re a psychopath, who is going to consciously style themself after Hitler? And I think the fact that he has now changed his appearance proves that he didn’t.

• Like 6
(edited)

It didn't even cross my mind that he looked like Hitler until I saw it posted here and then I couldn't unsee it.  I agree, the moustache isn't Hitler's but, combined with the hairdo, it gave off a very Hitler-ish vibe.  I agree also that Brian himself doesn't look like Hitler.

I disagree that nobody but a troll would mention that he resembled Hitler.  A friend or family member might just mention it, jokingly or seriously.

Anyhow, that is all I will say on the subject.  I don't know the man or his intentions and am not qualified to make statements of fact, but I can make surmises.

Edited by Trey
I is not It
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Re the lattice pie crust, I have only ever seen it on cherry or maybe strawberry/rhubarb pies, so that the nice red colour shows.  It seems sort of useless on an apple pie.

Same here. I went with apple because of the American patriotism angle but I had to take a beat to discard cherry.

I did some searching online to see if lattice crust was common on apple pies and apparently it happens. The comments I saw suggested that (1) it was considered to have an attractive old-fashioned appearance; (2) it vented the pie (my grandmother always just cut a sort of wavy line surrounded by notches for this); and (3) it allowed the filling to caramelize because there was so much venting that a lot of liquid could escape. So I am still somewhat skeptical but less than I was.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

My thoughts exactly, too too childish.

For me, it's the hair more than the stach. But so sad that he was treated that way. But I cheered like a girl when he lost. Just didn't care for his know-it-all demeanor.

i didn't like his demeanor either especially fist pumping!

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

i didn't like his demeanor either especially fist pumping!

That's why I'm glad he lost... had nothing to do with the hair/mustache thing, which was just an observation.

• Like 5

My mother would cut an X in the top for venting. It's amazing how different an American apple pie is to a British apple pie & it's all down to the apples used. I can barely eat an American apple pie as it's just way too sweet for me.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, well, well.  If Mr. Smartypants hadn't tried to prove how great he was by including what he was sure was Rossini's first name,  he'd have won tonight.   Ha ha.

I was just thinking that he really needed to stop showing off with all the first names because it was going to bite him in the ass and then it bit him in the ass. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

My mother would cut an X in the top for venting. It's amazing how different an American apple pie is to a British apple pie & it's all down to the apples used. I can barely eat an American apple pie as it's just way too sweet for me.

We do have a sweet tooth.

Just now, anniebird said:

I was just thinking that he really needed to stop showing off with all the first names because it was going to bite him in the ass and then it bit him in the ass.

Since I like Brian, I was just wishing he would stop it, because it is easy to mess up a name. Sadly, that happened. Always go with the last name.

• Like 3

My little buddy, Jake, did the fist pump once (accompanied by a loud pop noise that I keep trying to duplicate whenever I get a TS 😁). So glad we can look forward to Rachel as a returning champ on Monday. I'm going to start studying all the countries that the equator passes through. 

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

Why do people keep saying this??

Him having that clue ruled against him did not cause him to lose! That is not how FJ betting and math works! 

Again, that is the same exact logic as saying that if someone lost by $1 in FJ, they only needed to get one more $200 clue and they would have won.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Why do people keep saying this??

Him having that clue ruled against him did not cause him to lose! That is not how FJ betting and math works! 

Again, that is the same exact logic as saying that if someone lost by $1 in FJ, they only needed to get one more $200 clue and they would have won.

I didn't say it caused him to lose, I said it bit him in the ass --- if he had given only the last name, he would have been awarded the money and the right to choose the next question. Avid Jeopardy fans know that you never, never give the first name unless it's required because there's more than one person with that last name who could be the correct answer.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Pies other than apple never occurred to me.  Most, if not all, the apple pies I’ve encountered have had a lattice crust.

I wonder if it's a regional thing - here in the Midwest, apple pies usually have a solid crust and only berry pies have a lattice crust.

• Like 3

I'm not a pie fan, as I don't like cooked fruit other than citrus (so I like key lime and lemon meringue [but only my mom's; everyone else has too much meringue]), but I'd estimate a slim majority of the apple pies I've seen had lattice crusts.  So, not as common as with cherry pie, which I don't know that I've ever seen without a lattice top, but common.

Plus, the wording of the clue did not imply they always or even usually have lattice crusts:  "Try a lattice top for this dessert, long a symbol of America even though it originated elsewhere".

• Like 4

Since opening day at Greenfield Village is only a week away, it was heartening to see it as a clue and sad to see no one got it.  I grew up thinking everyone had such a place in their backyard (and it is probably one of the reasons I also ended up going to college next door to Colonial Williamsburg).  The Model T rides are loads of fun but so is everything else GV related and for me the best of the best is the historic Base Ball games (I am counting down the weekends until the season resumes there).  Also don't miss the custard stand.

I have had and made both kinds of crusts for a variety of pies.  I prefer to do lattice tops but usually wouldn't for an apple pie (too much wonderful juice to escape). 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Pies other than apple never occurred to me.  Most, if not all, the apple pies I’ve encountered have had a lattice crust.

I have actually never had (or made) an apple pie with a lattice crust. And it's been our go-to pie. I've lived in a lot of areas, but possibly I've missed the lattice crust areas. As for making one, it's just too much work and I'm a lazy baker.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, anniebird said:

I wonder if it's a regional thing - here in the Midwest, apple pies usually have a solid crust and only berry pies have a lattice crust.

And I was just wondering if it's a Midwest/West Coast thing (lattice topped apple pie). I've lived up & down the East Coast and all the apple pies I've seen/enjoyed had a solid upper crust, or that Dutch crumb topping (yum! now I want some apple pie, warm, with vanilla ice cream on the side, please 😁). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think lattice crusts are a "fancy baker" thing. I've never made one, because I'm not that motivated. But I've seen them on all kinds of pies, but only when the situation and/or baker is really trying to do something special.

• Like 4

Stopped in to see what people were saying about Brian - I usually don't get too worked up about contestants and their quirks but that guy just rubbed me the wrong way, his demeanor, air of superiority and omg esp those fist pumps!!!! It just seems like poor sportsmanship to be patting yourself on the back every time you get a DD or answer correct.

The Hitler thing never crossed my mind and really still doesn't, I thought he was more like a Mr. Belvedere type, the butler with an attitude on a mediocre sitcom lol. But it's a shame he was treated that way on SM. and I say this as someone who wasn't exactly a fan.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

I thought he was more like a Mr. Belvedere type,

That's just like the Hitler comparison -- never thought of it, and he doesn't look a thing like him when you can properly see his face, but now that it's brought up, if I look at a long shot of him, I can see it due to the hair and mustache combination.  Good call.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Great J round - ran Moose-ellaneous and A La the French Cooking Style and got 4 right in 3 other categories. DJ, however, was pretty much the polar opposite - didn't get more than 3 correct in any category and only got 1 correct in 2 categories. In self-e I said self-evident for self-explanatory - should I count it?

TS were Mauna Loa, pine, crayfish and East of Eden. Got half of another TS - had the Cathay part of the airline, but not the Pacific part.

FJ was an instaget for this Disney fan - E.P.C.O.T. - Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Or Every Person Comes Out TIred. Or Every Parent Carries Out (a) Toddler.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Mauna Loa, pine tree, crayfish, East of Eden (love that book), Cathay Pacific, senile and industry.

I got the entire category of moose right.  I missed the first (first as in first called, so 600) in self E which I think I may have gotten if I understood from that point what the category was.  I thought it was just supposed to start with E because I'm a moron apparently.

1 minute ago, chicagofan said:

In self-e I said self-evident for self-explanatory - should I count it?

I think so.  But I can't remember he exact wording.

• Like 5

April 10:

70% / 53% / 62%

J!: Decent-ish start (I consider any score in the 70s to be decent)…ran French Cooking Styles and "Self-E"s, missed three Nations and two in everything else. Tanked in the second round…missed one in Novels and Quantum Science, two in Ancient History, three in Air Travel and River Runs Through It, and The Untouchables saved me from completely failing the City in the Movie (never seen any of them). TSes were Mauna Loa, crayfish, and Cro-magnon. Did not come up with FJ but felt pretty dumb when it was revealed.

The physics teacher's bonus quiz question rule reminded me of my 10th grade US History teacher. For test review he did a Jeopardy game, slightly shrunken (only five categories per round), and only two categories in each round had anything to do with history.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

In self-e I said self-evident for self-explanatory - should I count it?

I said self-evident too.  Unless we find something in the clue to exclude self-evident, I say we take it.

My ts's were Mauna Loa, pine tree, and crayfish.

Not an instaget FJ - first I said Buckminster Fuller (who didn't die until 1983) but the Florida part changed my mind to Walt Disney. Epcot Center doesn't mean much to me.

I really like the new champ but I liked all contestants today.

• Like 4

I really didn’t think Walt Disney died that long ago, but what other famous name could have been associated with Epcot?  So an insta-get, I guess?

Edited by SoMuchTV
Left out word
  • Like 3

The most instagettiest of instagets for me tonight.  Nice change of pace from the blank stares of last week.  And I hope I didn't just jinx the rest of this week!

I also got Libya, Mauna Loa, pine tree, and crayfish.  Libya was a total guess, though.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
29 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think so.  But I can't remember he exact wording.

The clue was "Obvious & easy to understand"; thesaurus.com lists "evident" as a synonym for "self-explanatory" and "self-explanatory" as a synonym for "self-evident." (The first several hits I got when I googled had to do with programming/coding, where there is a slight difference, apparently, but I think for the clue given they both should be acceptable.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Trey said:

I said self-evident too.  Unless we find something in the clue to exclude self-evident, I say we take it.

My ts's were Mauna Loa, pine tree, and crayfish.

Not an instaget FJ - first I said Buckminster Fuller (who didn't die until 1983) but the Florida part changed my mind to Walt Disney. Epcot Center doesn't mean much to me.

I really like the new champ but I liked all contestants today.

I liked them all, too... been a while since that's happened

• Like 6