Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

<> is used for not equal to in coding.

Only in certain languages. In Fortran, you use .ne.  In C++, Basic, Java you use != In math, <> is used to indicate "contradiction" in a proof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The jury is still out on Tamara. Not sure if she'll become too precious.

My jury deliberated for 5 minutes and came back with a unanimous verdict of "YES!"

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I feel like I grew up with James Bond. I started reading the novels when I was about 13. When it comes to the movies, there is only one James Bond - Sean Connery. The rest are just posers.

As for "less than", I couldn't think of another answer.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I feel like I grew up with James Bond. I started reading the novels when I was about 13.

Me too. My mom's books. Watched all the movies, used to drag my daughters to the new ones that seemed to appear every couple of years in December or so. That's why my sister, who did none of that, was flabbergasted when she got FJ and I didn't. 🤦‍♀️😞

• Hugs 2
14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I recognized Andre the Giant from The Princess Bride, as I expect many people might. Didn't come anywhere close to the rest of the clues in the category.

I did not recognize him from the Princess Bride (I barely watched it and didn't care for it much - I know, shocking!) But I mistakenly identified him as Lou Ferrigno.

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've always thought you save those types of categories for last because of that reason AND I always assume those are paid promotions where they have to get through all the clues in that category. I don't know for sure that is true but I bet it is. 

Also wresting is dumb.  And not a sport. 

I also believe they're paid ads. I know bupkus about wrestling - but I got (at least) Guardians of the Galaxy (only when they showed him in makeup).

Wrestlers are certainly athletes, but I am not sure I'd call it a sport, given that it seems that the matches are predetermined. I could be wrong about that - if I am, I can see it as a sport, just a very showy one.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I feel like I grew up with James Bond. I started reading the novels when I was about 13. When it comes to the movies, there is only one James Bond - Sean Connery. The rest are just posers.

I certainly knew Bond from my early years. I always hated what I perceived as the sexism in it. Even so, I have to agree, Sean Connery is the only James Bond. Now, I might change my mind if Idris Elba ever gets a shot.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4

As a teen, I didn't like the condescension I felt directed toward the females in those movies (& this was *just* before women's lib really took off). The name Pussy Galore was repulsive to me. But, I agree...there was only one Bond, James Bond and that was Sean Connery. 

• Like 7

Tending to a sick dog got me a little behind on my Jeopardy viewing these last few days, but I’ve finally caught up. 

I don’t have much to say about Wednesday’s game, other than “WHAT!” I like gutsy moves, but not when they’re served with a side of idiocy.

Thursday’s game led me to a losing debate over whether James Bond has a theme song. I insisted he does not; the theme for every movie is different. (I hummed a few random staccato beats and came up with Pink Panther, because IIRC, the theme does sound staccato. I’ve never seen the movies but know they are mysteries and, who knows, sexy times could be happening too. I also thought the Pink Panther was a nickname for the character played by Peter Sellers, so I thought it would fit the clue.) ANYWAY… Mr. Smugly McSmug was right, I was wrong, and I really need to stop having FJ debates. 

I thought Friday’s FJ was ridiculously easy, to the point that I questioned my response. Maybe that’s why two of them got it wrong, because they thought it had to be something… more.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I have to admit, after her interview about her icebreaker question, I was thinking “nope, fake a phone call and avoid that person for the rest of the event!”  But I’ll give her a chance. 

And how will she break the ice in the future, now that she’s revealed her opening round?

I didn’t really understand it, to be honest. You’d have to be a pretty big strawberry fan to give up a superpower. But then, why would you want to release lightning at will? Is there a situation where that would be useful? I think I’d tell her to keep both the strawberries and the lightning, and then I’d go talk to someone else.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Tending to a sick dog got me a little behind on my Jeopardy viewing these last few days, but I’ve finally caught up. 

I laughed at the rest of your post but I hope your doggie is okay.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1

All I could think of when Tamara won was that I hope that she and Mattea Roach are never in a game together because with all of their side comments, the board would never be cleared.  Just play the game, and leave the side comments on the side for after the game is over.  Yeah, I'm a bit cranky today.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

All I could think of when Tamara won was that I hope that she and Mattea Roach are never in a game together because with all of their side comments, the board would never be cleared.  Just play the game, and leave the side comments on the side for after the game is over.  Yeah, I'm a bit cranky today.

I think the 13 TSs had more to do with not clearing the board than any side comments. I think in Mattea's run of 24? games, there were 4 where the board wasn't cleared.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

dgpolo, yes, TSs take up more time because they give the other 2 players time to answer. 

I don't know whether there is a strong correlation between the number of TSs and how long the round takes to play. Most of the time all of the clues get cleared regardless. But you can have a TS where no one rings in or one where each contestant takes a crack at it. I believe the contestant has 5 seconds to respond after buzzing in but I am not sure how long they have to buzz in before time is called.

Each round is supposed to allow 6.5 minutes. That's 65 seconds per category or 13 seconds per clue on average. If every clue had all three contestants ring in and run out the clock before responding they definitely wouldn't clear the board. But if no one rang in I think they could (depending on how long it takes to read each clue) even though they would all be TSs.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't know whether there is a strong correlation between the number of TSs and how long the round takes to play. Most of the time all of the clues get cleared regardless. But you can have a TS where no one rings in or one where each contestant takes a crack at it. I believe the contestant has 5 seconds to respond after buzzing in but I am not sure how long they have to buzz in before time is called.

When I was looking at the Archive to see how many TSs there were I think I noticed that 2? of them had 3 wrong answers and another couple had 2, but I remember a couple of times when Tamara buzzed in that she took the entire time to answer but couldn't come up with anything, I don't remember if someone then rang in after her but this, also, would run time out faster. Instead of someone ringing in, answering wrong, 2nd person ringing in with correct answer and moving on - there's a big pause until time runs out, then someone is able to ring in again.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, dgpolo said:

When I was looking at the Archive to see how many TSs there were I think I noticed that 2? of them had 3 wrong answers and another couple had 2, but I remember a couple of times when Tamara buzzed in that she took the entire time to answer but couldn't come up with anything, I don't remember if someone then rang in after her but this, also, would run time out faster. Instead of someone ringing in, answering wrong, 2nd person ringing in with correct answer and moving on - there's a big pause until time runs out, then someone is able to ring in again.

I rewatched the MATE/MAZE clue where Tamara ran out the clock, Alec buzzed in with PAL/PAN, and then Ken waited out the clock while Michael stayed mum. All told from selection to Ken giving the expected response took about 22 seconds to play out. But I also looked at the WWE Smackdown clue which only Michael buzzed in on with the correct response and it took about 19 seconds. And the reading of the clue took about 13 of those seconds. My impression is that normal clues tend to take more like 5 or 6 seconds at most for the host to read.

So yes, contestants getting things wrong and/or everyone buzzing in on the same clue can contribute to running out of time but so do the special guest clues which for some reason they make very wordy. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Clarifying normal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
On 3/24/2023 at 8:15 PM, possibilities said:

The symbol for inequality is an equal sign with a slash through it. The rotated V is definitely "less than" (or greater than, but that wouldn't have fit the other elements of the clue).

The equal sign with a slash through it means specifically "is not equal to."

There are multiple types of inequalities in mathematics.  < and > (i.e., "less than" and "greater than") are what are called "strict inequalities," in that equivalence is completely excluded.  There are also "less than or equal to" and "greater than or equal to" (whose symbols I can't make on a keyboard).  These inequalities are not considered strict, since equivalence is a possibility.

All of these, as well as =/=, fall under the heading of "inequalities."  It wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game, but I feel like Alex's answer should have been counted as correct.

See here for a more detailed explanation.

• Useful 1
30 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

There are also "less than or equal to" and "greater than or equal to" (whose symbols I can't make on a keyboard). 

If you're putting criteria in a Microsoft Access query, they're just >= or <=.

(On a PC keyboard you can do alt-242 for ≥ and alt-243 for ≤.)

• Useful 2
On 3/26/2023 at 12:37 AM, 30 Helens said:

Hope the pupper is better now.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 3/24/2023 at 7:07 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

I am sure Tamara is a very nice person and it was amazing that she won after being in the red most of the game, but her mannerisms were driving me crazy.

I loved her umbrella blouse/top, though!

• Like 1

I think it's typical for anyone to take all the time allotted when they ring in and don't know the answer. Sometimes people even take all the time and speak at the last moment because they are mentally checking their work before they say what they do know is the correct response.

• Like 3

I didn't do particularly well Friday night, although I did get FJ.  I was sure it wasn't correct because it seemed too simple, like they were looking for something more complicated.

I got all but one clue in U.S. Metropolitan Partners, Change A Letter and Rejected Authors.  Would've run the last one if I hadn't blurted out 1984 instead of Animal Farm.  I did run Cats: The Non-Musical (because  my answer of "saber-toothed cat" is actually more accurate than "saber-toothed tiger" by current scientific terminology), Finnish Him!, and What'll It "B" ?.

I did get several stumpers: mate & maze, miler & mixer, Jeffrey Dean Morgan Freeman, Michael B. Jordan Peele (love that they used "Keanu"!), Thor Heyerdahl, Tony Hillerman (really sad no one got him) and hobnob.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:57 PM, stonehaven said:

I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation. The comfort of our homes and chairs makes choices a lot easier. I will cut her some slack for trying to "go big or go home". 

Having been there and having bet big on FJ when I shouldn't have (though I still wouldn't have won), I can say that it was a stupid bet.  She was way ahead and could have bet a couple thousand without blowing it that way.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:24 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I have to admit, after her interview about her icebreaker question, I was thinking “nope, fake a phone call and avoid that person for the rest of the event!”  But I’ll give her a chance. 

I forget what it was now, but I had an answer at the time.  But yeah, I probably would do the same as you with someone in real life.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, Clanstarling said:

Sean Connery is the only James Bond. Now, I might change my mind if Idris Elba ever gets a shot.

I'm willing to accept the other non-Daniel Craig, Bonds as pale imitations of the original.  (Can't stand Craig's Bond films, way too humorless for me).  I'd absolutely change my mind if it was Idris Elba.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:37 AM, 30 Helens said:

You’d have to be a pretty big strawberry fan to give up a superpower. But then, why would you want to release lightning at will? Is there a situation where that would be useful?

That's right, that was her icebreaker question.  Yeah, I'd totally give up strawberries for the power to unleash lightning against my enemies.  I mean, I like strawberries, but it's not like she was asking me to give up chocolate or coffee.  I'd use my power to zap people in front of me in line at the store.

5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

but I feel like Alex's answer should have been counted as correct.

I think it was probably not specific enough if those other things are also symbols of inequalities.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I said radon.

I got the missed clues of Eiffel, Ready Player One (didn't see the movie, but LOVED the book), 101 Dalmatians, Nunavut, Kayak Island, and Benjamin.

I got the entire category of Bible right.

Had a so-so first round and a pretty good double jeopardy.

• Like 4

March 27:

57% / 73% / 64%

Not a great start to the week. In J! I missed one in British to American Translator, four Number "One" Movies, and two in everything else. Did better in DJ; missed two in Figures of Speech and I Like American Music and one in everything else.

Did not get FJ and my TSes were fender and the DDs of Eiffel and Nunavut.

I was rooting for the guy but the new champ is okay.

9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said radon.

I thought of radon but it doesn't have a smell. I'm usually better at sciency questions but I suck at mythology so I guess one cancelled out the other.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought of radon but it doesn't have a smell. I'm usually better at sciency questions but I suck at mythology so I guess one cancelled out the other.

I didn't think it had a smell, but I honestly thought Ra was the chief Egyptian god.  And I didnt really have a back up for that. I'm better with Greek and Roman mythology with a smattering of Norse.  But, Egyptian?  Not so much.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't think it had a smell, but I honestly thought Ra was the chief Egyptian god.  And I didnt really have a back up for that. I'm better with Greek and Roman mythology with a smattering of Norse.  But, Egyptian?  Not so much.

Ra was the only one I could think of.

• Like 5

For FJ tonight, I thought, "Hm.  Egyptian god.  Nope.  Smelly compound -- sulfur?  Not a compound.  Methane?  Maybe...No!  I have it!"  All in under 30 seconds and with time to write down the correct response.  I have worked with poultry.  That's all you smell when you're with a flock. 

The only TS I got were fender and Eiffel.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Me too (just rooting for the guy).  He's the type of contestant I prefer...steady, kind of quiet, and serious without the intensity. 

I didn't have strong feelings about anyone (Tamara didn't really bother me on Friday, though tonight I couldn't help but notice how she seemed to be holding onto her buzzer for dear life). In that case, if there are two women and one man, or vice versa, I root for the odd one out.

• Useful 1

Oh, goody, another Bible category.  About time; it had been a whole week and a half since we last had one. 🙄

I ran cabinet, British, and bowl (thankfully, I read a lot faster than any host speaks the clue, so I had time to go through the entire thought process of "Tony the Tiger, they're 'grrreat', dammit, which cereal was that?" and come up with Frosted Flakes before a contestant replied), and got all but one in Statue of Liberty.  I missed two in movies. 

So, I could have had a good first round, but I was terrible in fantasy games; I managed to pick up Katniss = The Hunger Games via cultural osmosis, but that was it.  I figured Calvinball meant Calvin & Hobbes, but only got as far as "Bill Something" for the cartoonist's name.  I had nothing at all for the rest.

I did have a good round in DJ, though;  I missed three in Bible (shocking, I know, but I'd managed to do well in the other recent ones), but ran figures of speech, Mr. T, and islands, and got all but one in the rest.

Like Nicole, I guessed Ra for the god referenced in FJ - not because I knew, as Ken revealed, that's another name for Amon (I'd never even heard of Amon), but because I know so few gods, that's simply the one I thought of that I knew was Egyptian - and then radon was the first thing that came to mind.  But since that's an element, not a compound (and doesn't have a detectable odor, let alone qualify as pungent), I knew that wasn't right.  I stalled out and didn't come up with a guess.  I don't think I'd have done any better switching to thinking of pungent compounds, because even if I'd have thought of ammonia, I'd have likely dismissed it, thinking there's no god with a name similar to that.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ tonight, I thought, "Hm.  Egyptian god.  Nope.  Smelly compound -- sulfur?  Not a compound.  Methane?  Maybe...No!  I have it!"  All in under 30 seconds and with time to write down the correct response.  I have worked with poultry.  That's all you smell when you're with a flock.

I started along the same mental path as you, got to sulfur and stopped there, because I for some reason thought they wanted an element. When ammonia was revealed, I was confused because that's not an element...but clearly I made up that part of the clue.

• Like 3

I tested my home for radon, and one of tghe things that makes it so insidious is that it has no odor, so I knew that wasn't it, but it wasn't a bad guess if you don't know that.

All I could think of was sulphur, which I knew wasn't a compound, so I was trying to think of sulphur compounds, and... yeah, that was a dead end.

I think it's hilarious that ammonia is named after any God, let alone one of great significance. Did people think he reeked? Did he make your eyes sting?

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think it's hilarious that ammonia is named after any God, let alone one of great significance. Did people think he reeked? Did he make your eyes sting?

So it’s 2:06 am and I can’t sleep.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia

Etymology

Pliny, in Book XXXI of his Natural History, refers to a salt named hammoniacum, so called because of its proximity to the nearby Temple of Jupiter Amun (Greek Ἄμμων Ammon) in the Roman province of Cyrenaica.[21] However, the description Pliny gives of the salt does not conform to the properties of ammonium chloride. According to Herbert Hoover's commentary in his English translation of Georgius Agricola's De re metallica, it is likely to have been common sea salt.[22] In any case, that salt ultimately gave ammonia and ammonium compounds their name. Roman visitors to oracle temple of Amun in Siwa oasis collected a white crystalline material from the ceiling and walls caused by various pollutants. This white crystalline salt was called "salt of Ammon" (sal ammoniac). Joseph Priestley noticed that when this salt reacted with lime, a vapor was released, which he termed as Ammonia.[23]

Edited by ams1001
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 15
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

All I could think of was sulphur, which I knew wasn't a compound, so I was trying to think of sulphur compounds, and... yeah, that was a dead end.

Sulfur first came to mind for FJ, but I couldn't tie it with a "top god of the ancient Egyptians" based on my Stargate SG1-derived knowledge of Egyptian god names. On the Stargate show, Apophis is the "top god," but according to World History Encyclopedia, Apophis is the Egyptian god of Darkness, and is the enemy of the Sun god Ra, who actually was the "top god" of the ancient Egyptians, as well as in the original Stargate movie.
In the derivative Stargate TV show, Amon was repurposed as "a minor goa'uld who has always served Ra" (stargaterenaissance.fandom.com/wiki/Amon).

I went with "What is sulfur dioxide?" because it's listed on the box of raisins I am returning to the store.
Sulfur dioxide is probably not what caused the noxious odors emanating from drinking fountains in 1960s schools, based on  vocabulary.com's definition of brimstone and the smell of lightning strikes.
It's apparently hydrogen sulfide, according to our chemist, @chessiegal.

Just based on a 20-minute impression, I like new champ Nicole Rudolph more than any other players in recent memory.
But I am easily annoyed, and tomorrow is another 20 minutes.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

It really bugged me that Nicole didn’t get credit for RV from caravan. I was glad she won though. I got Ammonia thanks to nursing school.

I said RV, too, but since you mentioned it, I just looked up caravan/British English and the definitions seem to specify that a caravan can be pulled by a car. (Slightly further googling suggests that RV isn't really a term used in British at all.)

• Like 3

Although I didn't get Amon/Amun I smacked my head because of Tutankamun - that was the derivation of the last part of his name (as I recall).

I got Ready Player One not because I saw or read it - or even that Spielberg directed (I did not know that!), but simply because of One and cultural osmosis.

I thought I'd nail the British/American category, but sadly, not so much.  I almost ran Fantasy Sports, but missed Bill Waterson because I said "Calvin and Hobbes!" sigh... (did the same thing with Tony the Tiger)

I did fairly well (for me) but did not run anything. And no FJ. 😥 Oh well, there are four more to go this week.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't think it had a smell, but I honestly thought Ra was the chief Egyptian god. 

Wikipedia: Originally, Amun-Ra was known as Ra who was recognized as the “Sun God.”

I have heard Ra called Amun-Ra but I didn't remember that in time, I also said Radon even though I knew it didn't have a smell.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

It really bugged me that Nicole didn’t get credit for RV from caravan. I was glad she won though. I got Ammonia thanks to nursing school.

An RV isn't pulled by a car.  A caravan is.  So RV was incorrect.  I'd have accepted camper, though, since those are also pulled by a car.

I had a decent, not great, game.  Got FJ as soon as I went through the Egyptian gods and got to Amon-Ra.  My stumper gets were Eiffel, Ready Player One, Benjamin, kayak and Nunavut.  I ran You're Gonna Need A Bigger Bowl, Number "One" Movies, What A Bunch Of Caricatures!, The Bible (which shocked the hell out of me) and Islands Of The Far North.  I got all but one clue in The Statue Of Liberty, British To American Language Translation, Fantasy Sports (called Quidditch as soon as I saw the category) We Quote Mr. Ts and I Like American Music (because I didn't know the name of Blondie's drummer).

Tamara didn't bother me at all, but I like Nicole, too.

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Mudguard is not a common Britishism for fender...wing is. Even Amazon's UK page says mudguard is pretty much the same thing as in US/CA. 

That was the only one I missed.  I was pretty sure I'd never heard it used that way on Top Gear.  Glad to know I wasn't really wrong.

• Applause 1
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

It really bugged me that Nicole didn’t get credit for RV from caravan.

It would have bugged me had that been accepted -- it had to be something towed, so RV was too broad -- but I'd have been okay with a BMS prompt.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Although I didn't get Amon/Amun I smacked my head because of Tutankamun - that was the derivation of the last part of his name (as I recall).

That’s what Mr. Helens said, and no way was I going to argue. (He’s also watched a thousand shows on Egyptian tombs/ pharaohs, so he should know.)

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Ready Player One not because I saw or read it - or even that Spielberg directed (I did not know that!), but simply because of One and cultural osmosis.

I’ll do you one worse: I actually saw it, but did not get the answer because although Ready Player One came to mind, I thought “no way did Steven Spielberg direct that boring piece of crap” and rejected it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

March 28:

70% / 59% / 64%

Decent first round - ran Fancified Beastly Idioms and A Baby, missed three in 3 Men and two each in the rest. Not so great second round - missed one in Rome, three in Before & After Female Duos, and two each in the rest.

For FJ I figured it was NYC but I couldn't come up with Port Authority.

My TSes were respiration (DD), cinema, and Vera Cruz.

I like Lisa; she's funny.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

I jokingly said CIA because I had no idea, and the A stands for agency.  I had nothing.

I got the missed clues of Ben bernanke, Vera Cruz and Bernini.

I got the entire category of Rome right.

I said Bernie for the Ferris Bueller clue, LOL.  I've seen Ferris Bueller (more than once) and haven't seen Weekend at Bernie's, but I don't know, I guess that sounded like stuff I thought people would do with a corpse, LOL.  But, I also said Bernie for the next clue where that was the answer.  If I had been on the show, it probably woudl have looked like I had a cheat sheet.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My TSes were respiration (DD), cinema, and Vera Cruz.

Hate to break it to you, but "cinema" was not an answer. Q: A fancy word for movies is related to this Greek-derived word for "exhibiting motion". A: Kinetic.   They wanted the Greek-derived word, not the "fancy word for movies".

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Hate to break it to you, but "cinema" was not an answer. Q: A fancy word for movies is related to this Greek-derived word for "exhibiting motion". A: Kinetic.   They wanted the Greek-derived word, not the "fancy word for movies".

Well, darn.

• Hugs 2