Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm a little surprised nobody guessed crayfish after langoustines were ruled out.  Maybe they could only think of crawdads and dismissed it as nope, that's American, not French food.  The Cro-Magnon TS surprised me a bit, too.

I only missed one in the entire first round -- I had no idea what the crypto exchange was called; crypto stuff all goes in one ear and right out the other.

But in DJ, I only ran air travel.  I got all but one in history and rivers, but missed three in quantum and two each in novels and movies.

My first thought for FJ was L. Ron Hubbard.  Yep, seriously.  After I stopped laughing, I gave the correct response.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I only missed one in the entire first round -- I had no idea what the crypto exchange was called; crypto stuff all goes in one ear and right out the other.

I read (or at least skim) the Morning Brew newsletter, which covers business/tech stuff, so SBF and FTX were covered quite a lot when it was all going on...and I still couldn't remember the name of the company. I just cannot make myself care about crypto stuff.

On a side note, I was highly amused by the Moose-ellaeous category because this morning I saw not one, but two stories about moose in places they shouldn't be. One in a medical office lobby (a juvenile who came in to munch on the plants in the waiting area) and the other in someone's house - the owner let her dog out and left the door open a crack so the dog could get back in (he knows how to close it when he comes in) and he brought a friend! Both in Alaska.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 9
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I really didn’t think Walt Disney died that long ago, but what other famous name could have been associated with Epcot?

The FJ clue only specified Florida. Still, I was wrong with Henry Ford, who anyway died too early in 1947 for the clue, and Fordlandia was in the Amazon. 

I did know crawdads and senile for the TSs, but I continue to watch distractedly. 

I might skip tomorrow and watch it the following morning on the tube of you if it's still available to see if I can focus better.

Lately I keep running to the window to catch the sunsets.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Wow I went totally in the wrong direction with FJ. I said Buckminster Fuller thinking it was someone who created experiment housing. Never ever would have realized that stood for EPCOT though when it was revealed I went “Oh of course! That makes sense!”

• Like 8

Finally caught up on my recorded episodes and I have to say two things:

1) The only thing that stuck out to me about Brian was that he wore a Tennessee orange tie and Tennessee orange shirt on his first show and that was all this KY girl needed to root against him; and

2)  How do you have three categories that allude to the magnificent Bea Arthur but have none of them actually be about Bea Arthur?!  I was so disappointed, because I was ready to demolish a Bea category lol

I like the new champ so far!

Edited by TaraS1
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Did they really make fun of Brian on SNL?? 🤬 For many contestants, being on Jeopardy is a lifelong dream, and it’s a memory they deserve to cherish. I hate seeing someone’s memories trashed so irrevocably, and in such a public way.

I found this game particularly difficult, and was silent for far too much of it. At least FJ was easy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
19 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Did they really make fun of Brian on SNL?? 🤬 For many contestants, being on Jeopardy is a lifelong dream, and it’s a memory they deserve to cherish. I hate seeing someone’s memories trashed so irrevocably, and in such a public way.

I haven't watched SNL in years but I just googled; it was part of the Weekend Update segment (here's one article from Newsweek). People suck. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The FJ clue only specified Florida. Still, I was wrong with Henry Ford, who anyway died too early in 1947 for the clue, and Fordlandia was in the Amazon. 

True, but the "experimental prototype community..." description has been stuck in my brain since I visited it back when it was fairly new.  So I guess that's not completely "common knowledge" but not completely obscure either.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I really didn’t think Walt Disney died that long ago, but what other famous name could have been associated with Epcot?  So an insta-get, I guess?

I was with you on that but had nothing else so went with Walt.

• Like 1

I did okay. I almost ran a few categories, even Nations - which for me is a huge win. I've been boning up on geography on sporcle.com, and two of the answers are a direct result of that!

I would have run French cooking, but I mixed up langoustine with crayfish, evidently they are pretty very similar but one's a salt water creature, the other a freshwater creature. 

The only time I went to DisneyWorld was before Epcot opened, so I had no clue. Another zero today. I sure hope this week is better than last week.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I got FJ. Whoo-Hoo!

I got the missed clues of Wilson, Rolls Royce and Malta.

I didn't run any categories, but a couple of them I should have because I knew them. I missed we, because I stupidly said me, and I missed Cleveland and said Columbus.  I'm sick if that's any excuse.  off to bed. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 1

April 11: 

83% / 73% / 79%

Pretty good game tonight…In J! I ran Bad Boys in Books, Whales, and "Little" Music, missed one in I Got the Receipts and two in Architecturally Speaking (one of those was just because I didn't catch the category so my brain wasn't sure where to go) and Presidential Last Name.

In DJ I didn't run anything but only missed one each in Prime Minister, MoMA, I.V. League, and Consonant+Vowel, and two each in Adapters and Geography.

TSes were chocolate (I just read The Chocolate War a few years ago), Rolls Royce, Wilson, and Sweden.

For FJ, Mandela was an instaget and Tutu took me just a few more seconds. (I guess Robbi didn't know where Soweto is.)

I probably laughed harder than I should have at the Hoover clue ("Dam, it's a vacuum, too!" 😄)

All creative types tonight...an artist, a theater professor, and a writer...I like the new champ but would have been good with any of them winning.

12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm sick if that's any excuse.  off to bed.

Sending virtual chicken soup...🍲 Feel better!

• Like 6
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

True, but the "experimental prototype community..." description has been stuck in my brain since I visited it back when it was fairly new.  So I guess that's not completely "common knowledge" but not completely obscure either.

I didn't come close and decided to go with Buckminster Fuller. But I got tonight's FJ more easily. 

I was all in for Kat when she talked about her garden and spoke up for non-yellowjacket wasps.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

More just the fact that he was pretty much forced off social media because of it.  Of course Colin Jost had to end with "he's just had it up to here" and do the salute.   As I said, I was not aware of any of that till I watched SNL (I rarely use Twitter and don't follow Jeopardy on it.)

Seriously though?  Hitler?  All I can see is Alex Karras!  Not in his "Mongo" or "500-Pound Jerk" characters, but in his "Dad from Webster" character.  You know....Alex Karras as he looked in his actual life.  And Alex Karras did not look like Hitler!

Yeah, some people are jerks. One of the reasons I rarely look at Twitter.

• Like 10

#NotAllWasps made me happy.

I thought FJ was easy-- what famous leaders lived in SOWETO? Had to be Mandela and Tutu. But I almost never get the literature ones right, so I guess it just depends on what kind of stuff fills a person's brain.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
Just now, possibilities said:

#NotAllWasps made me happy.

I thought FJ was easy-- what famous leaders lived in SOWETO? Had to be Mandela and Tutu. But I almost never get the literature ones right, so I guess it just depends on what kind of stuff fills a person's brain.

Mandela was an instaget, of course, and Tutu was an insta-oh-yeah-of-course!! as soon as Ken said his name. I went with Albert Schweitzer for my second name. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I enjoyed applauding for our new champ several times, especially when she got the DD in the $2K position in the art category. 
Since she's an artist, it could have just as easily been a miss with The Burden Of Knowledge, or DD jitters, but she seems very calm.

• Like 4

When I saw the FJ category, I thought,  well I’m sunk. I can only come up with two (Obama and Malala). Turns out my brain was able to come up with two more! Yay me. 

I wonder if some people who aren’t familiar with Soweto think it might be one of those neighborhood names like soho?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

That the Cowboys were a TS fills me with glee.

I ran architecturally speaking, receipts, presidential, and got all but one in whales and music, so if not for the books category I'd have had a great first round.  Alas, I blew that category entirely.  I've never read any of them, and cultural osmosis did not come through for me this time.

Books got me again in DJ -- I only got Pride and Prejudice in adapters (Nick Hornby was hiding away in a corner of my brain somewhere, but I couldn't coax him out in time).  Other than that, though, I did well; I missed two in MoMA and ran everything else.

FJ was almost an instaget -- knowing Soweto is in South Africa (unlike Robbi, obviously), I got Mandela immediately, and it didn't take me long to come up with Tutu as the other.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

For FJ, Mandela was an instaget and Tutu took me just a few more seconds. (I guess Robbi didn't know where Soweto is.)

My thought exactly regarding Robbi's answer - Soweto immediately took me to South Africa, but I came up with Desmond Tutu first, then Nelson Mandela. So 2 for 2 FJs for me this week - yay me! Probably means I'm cursed for the rest of the week.

Not the best of games for me, especially in the J round. But I did get 4 TS - Rolls Royce, Dallas Cowboys (a team I root against), Wilson and Malta.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I wonder if some people who aren’t familiar with Soweto think it might be one of those neighborhood names like soho?

SouthWesternTownships.  It kind of is!

Instaget FJ for me (unlike Disney!)

The only time I went to Disney World was the year it opened, long before EPCOT existed, and I had no idea what "Epcot" meant.  Like someone mentioned upthread, I thought of Buckminster Fuller.

• Like 4
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1

I did not know where Soweto is, so did not get FJ. The husband, who is less geographically challenged, got it immediately. 

I did, however, get the TSs of chocolate, Rolls Royce, Wilson and Dallas Cowboys, so I guess that’s something?

• Like 4
On 4/7/2023 at 8:05 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I have a question about the pie that has a lattice top. The only pie I've ever had with a lattice top is cherry, never apple. 

Definitely seen apple pie with a lattice top.  (Not that I could find it for dinner on Sunday.)  And peach pie and blueberry pie, too.  Depends on where you get it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, chicagofan said:

My thought exactly regarding Robbi's answer - Soweto immediately took me to South Africa, but I came up with Desmond Tutu first, then Nelson Mandela.

That's exactly what I did. Afterwards I was surprised that Tutu was immediate and I had to think (not long) to get Mandela.

4 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

SouthWesternTownships.  It kind of is!

The only time I went to Disney World was the year it opened, long before EPCOT existed, and I had no idea what "Epcot" meant.  Like someone mentioned upthread, I thought of Buckminster Fuller.

Cool trivia. Thanks.

That's about the time I went to Disney World too. I can't remember who I came up with, but I think I was embarrassed.

I ran Whales (to my surprise), and the rest was a mixed bag. But since I got FJ, it felt like a good game to me. Too many zeros recently.

• Like 2

I did well in the first round on Monday but it went pear-shaped in DJ.  I did get FJ though, and 5 stumpers: Mauna Loa, pine, crayfish, Cro Magnons and Hittites.  I ran A La The French Cooking Style, Moose-Ellaneous and Music's Missing Links.  I got all but 1 clue in Recent Events, The Nation In Question (thought of Libya but said Morocco), That's Ancient History (should've gotten Bronze Age, damn it) and "Self-E"s.  Although if they gave me credit for self-evident instead of self-explanatory, that one would count as a run category.

I was totally in the weeds for Quantum Science, although I did get volt and at least thought of atomic clock even though I didn't say it.

Tuesday wasn't really any better.  I got chocolate, Rolls Royce, Dallas Cowboys and Malta as my stumpers.  Ran I Got The Receipts, Time For A "Little" Music and Adapters.  Got all but 1 in Bad Boys In Books (can't believe I couldn't remember the Artful Dodger), A Presidential Last Name, Whales and One Hot MoMA.  And while it took me a second to come up with Desmond Tutu, FJ was pretty much an instaget.

Have to admit, I'm amused at the notion of Henry Kissinger and Angela Merkel living in a Black township in South Africa.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
On 4/8/2023 at 12:15 AM, Cotypubby said:

What do you mean? That question had no relevance to him winning or not. He lost because of how much he bet in FJ. Getting that one question wrong had no effect on FJ. That’s like if someone loses by $1 and you say “Well if they got one more $200 clue earlier they would have won!” Nope. He’d simply bet a slightly different amount and still lose because he did not know the answer.

He would've had $800 more going into FJ if he'd just said Rossini.  Assuming he didn't include all of that extra $800 in his final bet, he'd have won by $700 instead of losing by $100.  So yes, the wrong first name on the Rossini answer was a factor in his losing.  (Not the only factor, but a significant one.)  Yes, it's possible he would've bet more but it's equally possible he wouldn't have especially since his final bet was stupid to begin with.  He didn't actually bet enough to win if Rachel had bet everything and they were both correct; he actually bet to tie, which is a pretty bad strategy.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:00 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

My mother would cut an X in the top for venting. It's amazing how different an American apple pie is to a British apple pie & it's all down to the apples used. I can barely eat an American apple pie as it's just way too sweet for me.

Which is interesting considering how sweet some British desserts are.  Ah well, different strokes and all that.  (Love me some sticky toffee pudding.)  My mother always used somewhat tarter apples when she still made pies herself, so not all Americans make really sweet pie.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:18 PM, chitowngirl said:

The big question is-cheddar cheese on the Apple pie or not?!

It's okay but I prefer my cheddar cheese mostly unadulterated.

• Like 3
On 4/10/2023 at 11:55 PM, Cotypubby said:

Wow I went totally in the wrong direction with FJ. I said Buckminster Fuller thinking it was someone who created experiment housing. Never ever would have realized that stood for EPCOT though when it was revealed I went “Oh of course! That makes sense!”

I thought of him but then went with Disney.  Not because of EPCOT but because of Celebration, Florida, which was started by the company in 1996.  Not the correct project but it got me there in the end.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:09 AM, SoMuchTV said:

It's pretty obscure if you've never been to Disney World and don't like Disney in general.  Disney World and Land are my idea of hell.

15 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was all in for Kat when she talked about her garden and spoke up for non-yellowjacket wasps.  

I wasn't sure about her at first, but that definitely was a huge point in her favor so I was perfectly fine with her win.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

wonder if some people who aren’t familiar with Soweto think it might be one of those neighborhood names like soho?

I'm thinking that had to be the reason for Robbi's answer, that he didn't know where Soweto is.

I’m still annoyed that I answered Buckminster Fuller instead of Disney.  Yesterday I pulled Dallas Cowboys out of some dark forgotten corner of my mind.  I knew Mandela but blanked on Tutu.

@proserpina65, our Hells are the same.  

• Wink 1
  • Love 2

It took me a second to figure out that they wanted two names for FJ, but Tutu came to me immediately, followed closely by Mandela.  I also laughed like a loon at Robbi's answer.  

The only TS I got were chocolate, Rolls Royce, and Cowboys.

• Like 2

FJ: Knew it was the "cruel & unusual punishment" amendment, just didn't know its number! Figured "4 is search & seizure, 5 is non-self-incrimination, so... maybe 6 (which turns out to be the "fair trial" one)".

• Like 5

i said 4th. Hangs head in shame.

i got the missed clues of liberal and dachshund/corgi.

I got the entire category of oscars wrong.

I had a horrid night. Literally one of my worst ever.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2

April 12:

57% / 53% / 54%

J!: Off to a terrible start…Ran Doggie Bag, missed one in How Are You Feeling, two in Leftovers, three in Canada and Dining Out, and four in Roman Numerals (I suck at Roman Numerals…and even worse, I live like 45 minutes from Fort Dix, and pass it on my way to a friend's house).

DJ: Even worse in DJ…missed one Play Title and In the Dictionary, two in Lost with the Titanic, three in Oscar-Winning Part and "UR" Land, and four in Our Nation of Immigration.

Unless I can count "the one about cruel and unusual punishment," I did not get FJ.

I did get all the DDs and the missed clues of XI and Dachshund/Corgi (DD).

Just now, illdoc said:

FJ: Knew it was the "cruel & unusual punishment" amendment, just didn't know its number! Figured "4 is search & seizure, 5 is non-self-incrimination, so... maybe 6 (which turns out to be the "fair trial" one)".

I was doing the same thing..."I know it's not 1, 2, 3, or 5........"

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, illdoc said:

40 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was doing the same thing..."I know it's not 1, 2, 3, or 5........"

Same here!  And I didn't know which number it was, either.  

The only TS I got were Pigeon Forge, TN, and Dachshund/Corgi.

I like Ken as much as any viewer, but his dramatic comment on Ben’s $7k wager seemed to distract Ben and might be why he said Dalmatian instead of Dachshund.  
He made a fantastic recovery, but he would have won with an additional $14K if he hadn’t missed it.  
I got it🤷🏻‍♀️

Artist Kat was probably annoyed at herself for missing the $1200:

• “‘La Circassienne au Bain,’ an oil painting exhibited at the 1814 edition of this prestigious Paris art show.”

Probably she missed it partly because of the “Burden of Knowledge” and partly by focusing on the work instead of the exhibit — which I almost did too, but got “Salon” in time.

Yesterday I got half of FJ and today about ¾, lol, with “What is Cruel and Unusual Punishment?” and the “9th Amendment,” which I *almost* changed to 8th. 
So maybe tomorrow I’ll get 100% of FJ?🙃

I also got the TS of Ireland, because, like many watching the show today, I had heard yesterday during coverage of the Presidential visit to Ireland, that Obama too had Irish roots. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I like Ken as much as any viewer, but his dramatic comment on Ben’s $7k wager seemed to distract Ben and might be why he said Dalmatian instead of Dachshund.  

That seems like a stretch, but I did find it odd that Ken would make a comment like that. 

• Like 2

Ben's "That makes more sense" about a corgi being mixed with a dachshund, not a dalmation, was funny.  So was Ken's "O'Bama" joke.

XI being a TS was a doozy; I figure, since it was the first clue uncovered in Say the Roman Numeral and they did well in the rest of it, they didn't understand the category at first.

So close -- I almost ran the whole first round, but didn't know the atomic number for radium.  I was surprised to run the dogs category, as that doesn't typically happen.

While not that close, I kicked ass in DJ, too; I ran Titanic, land, and immigration, and got all but one in plays and dictionary.  My "worst" category was acting, in which I missed two, so that was a good round.

FJ was an instaget (the Bill of Rights is my bible).

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Well I didn't know what the "bloody assizes" are, but the perjury piece led me to the 5th amendment. 

I followed a similar process. I was thinking “cruel and unusual”, but then I honed in on the perjury part and thought maybe the amendment was a response to people perjuring themselves to avoid self-incrimination. Oh, well.

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I really want to see a Corgi/Dalmatian!

My first thought on this was, “Ouch!” My second thought was, “…or that corgi brought a ladder”.

My third thought, after seeing ams1001’s photo, is “Worth it”. So cute.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
24 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I honed in on the perjury part and thought maybe the amendment was a response to people perjuring themselves to avoid self-incrimination.

That was what happened to me as well.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

XI being a TS was a doozy; I figure, since it was the first clue uncovered in Say the Roman Numeral and they did well in the rest of it, they didn't understand the category at first.

I wasn't paying enough attention and imagined that the 11 referred to its position in the alphabet (like mu and nu being 12 & 13 in yesterday's clue) but lambda did not work at all. So I checked the category and realized they wanted xi (which I was taught to pronounce ksee, so it was a shock to hear Ken pronounce it as zye).

I did come up with the TS of Wit.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I also got the TS of Ireland, because, like many watching the show today, I had heard yesterday during coverage of the Presidential visit to Ireland, that Obama too had Irish roots.

I didn’t know anything about a Presidential visit, but I got that one because of the big Irish flag in the background! 😂🇮🇪 Maybe the picture was too small for the contestants to see it?

Did not get FJ. Like everyone else I knew it was the “cruel and unusual punishment” one but couldn’t remember the number. “I know it’s not 1,2,3 or 5… Let’s go with 4?”

• Like 5
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My first thought on this was, “Ouch!” My second thought was, “…or that corgi brought a ladder”.

I met a Chihuahua/German Shepherd cross years ago. Where there's a will, apparently there's a way.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1