Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I didn’t know anything about a Presidential visit, but I got that one because of the big Irish flag in the background! 😂🇮🇪 Maybe the picture was too small for the contestants to see it?

I know of the current visit, but would not have come up with Ireland if not for the flag in the picture; I, too, wondered if picture size was at least a contributing source of that TS as well, especially since an interview with Laura, posted earlier today, was the latest to note how much smaller the screens are from the podium as opposed to the close-ups of them we see on TV. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anything about the Constitution, Bill of Rights, geography or history causes me to make a negative bet.  I get the money if I miss the answer.  My own rule…..

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I met a Chihuahua/German Shepherd cross years ago. Where there's a will, apparently there's a way.

Today I saw a mini-Poodle/Olde English Sheepdog cross that looks just like Snoopy. I just hope the mom was the sheepdog; a family friend had two of them and they are big.

I noticed the Irish flag but it wasn't on the screen long enough for me to process which flag it was.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well I didn't know what the "bloody assizes" are, but the perjury piece led me to the 5th amendment. Can't say I am very familiar with the different amendments, though.

We looked them up, after we both answered (confidently) "5th!"

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My first thought on this was, “Ouch!” My second thought was, “…or that corgi brought a ladder”.

My third thought, after seeing ams1001’s photo, is “Worth it”. So cute.

Though, you never know what the dna mix will bring. I was picturing a corgi with dalmatian legs.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was my aunt's dachshund trying to mate with a bigger dog (hunting breed of some sort, I forget now). She was even laying down, but he kept slipping off (never any where near achievement) and finally walked off in a huff.

I saw the Pixar animation at a tech conference, when it was first starting to be shown. There was a lot of amazement and wonder.

I ran Plays, but otherwise it was a mediocre to worse game. I had to turn up the sound to hear Ben, he's so soft spoken.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Though, you never know what the dna mix will bring. I was picturing a corgi with dalmatian legs.

Last week I saw someone walking a dog that looked like a Rottweiler in a Basset Hound's body. I really want to know what the mix is. My friend's mom had a Basset that had babies with her sister's Black Lab and a couple of the puppies looked like tiny Rotties when they were newborns (the rest were all black and one was blonde). They kept one of those and she developed a more typical multi-colored Basset coat as she got older. She also had the Basset-shaped body but with longer legs and shorter ears (both were about midway between her parents' lengths).

Now I want a whole dog-mix category. With photos, please. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

FJ: Knew it was the "cruel & unusual punishment" amendment, just didn't know its number! Figured "4 is search & seizure, 5 is non-self-incrimination, so... maybe 6 (which turns out to be the "fair trial" one)".

I said 4th amendment because somehow I conflated the things in the clue with search & seizure, not cruel & unusual punishment.  (I guess it was the word "assizes"?  Clearly I've forgotten a good bit of my knowledge of Stuart England.) Oh well.  At least I had the correct amendment for what I thought the problem was.

I didn't do well at all lost night.  In addition to not getting FJ, I only ran How Are You Feeling?, and only managed to get all but one clue right in Historic Canada, Doggie Bag, Lost With The Titanic and Our Nation Of Immigration.

I did get 7 stumpers though: Pierre Trudeau, XI, corgi & dachshund, Pigeon Forge, the Salon, Ireland and Djimon Hounsou.

Fun fact: my father, having once heard a parody of the old Shadow radio series for which the tagline was "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?  The Trudeau knows.", was kinda obsessed with Pierre Trudeau.  The first time I visited friends in Ottawa, I brought back a bookmark with a picture of Trudeau just for Dad.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I like Ken as much as any viewer, but his dramatic comment on Ben’s $7k wager seemed to distract Ben and might be why he said Dalmatian instead of Dachshund.  

Or he just didn't know it.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ben's "That makes more sense" about a corgi being mixed with a dachshund, not a dalmation, was funny.  So was Ken's "O'Bama" joke.

Ben's comment is why I don't think he knew it.

11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

realized they wanted xi (which I was taught to pronounce ksee, so it was a shock to hear Ken pronounce it as zye).

Really?  I would never have thought to pronounce it any way other than "zye" since most words I know which start with x are pronounced like they start with z.

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I didn’t know anything about a Presidential visit, but I got that one because of the big Irish flag in the background!

I've seen a lot about President Biden's visit to Ireland this week and President Obama's comment about looking for his missing apostrophe during his visit has been referenced more than once.  Plus, yeah, the Irish flag helped a lot.

• Like 4

I wasn't paying attention and missed the photo and the flag entirely.  I also missed the clue.

For the Roman number category, I apparently thought it was a crossword puzzle clue, and couldn't figure out which letter of the Greek alphabet had 11 letters and rhymed with bye.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

For the Roman number category, I apparently thought it was a crossword puzzle clue, and couldn't figure out which letter of the Greek alphabet had 11 letters and rhymed with bye.

I'd laugh too but I thought the same as you.

Did not get FJ.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was deeply disappointed in Ben getting the Dorgi clue wrong.  Which may be related to the overly dramatic level of offense I take to anyone missing a question that's even tangentially related to Her Late Majesty...lol.  But thankfully they knew Princess Charlotte is third in line to the throne.

• Like 4

I'll be watching Top Chef tonight, so just checked the archive.  For a couple of clues, I'm giving myself credit that I'd have known them had I been able to see the pictures. 

The Navajo TS surprised me, as did palatial and camaraderie a bit, along with no one guessing France given the time frame.

Once again, I almost ran the first round, but fell just short -- I missed meteor in air, and TiVo in trademarked sounds (I looked that up, and being able to hear it would not have helped me).  I loved the foodstock category, especially Crosby, Stills, Nosh & Young.

If not for the TV category, I'd have kicked ass in DJ, too, but the only one of those I knew was Jed Clampett.  I only ran Secretaries of State and Triple A, but got all but one in the rest.

I initially stared blankly at my screen for FJ, but then the "Oh, fallen statues!" light bulb clicked on and I got it.

• Like 1

April 13:

93% / 60% / 77%

Holy moly! I only missed two clues in the first round, one each in Letter Perfect and Foodstock. Ran everything else. Didn't do nearly as well in DJ…missed one in The Book of Romans, Secretaries of State, and Triple "A", and three in A Bit of Everything, German Lit, and Fish Out of Water on TV. Thought for about 2 seconds and got FJ right.

Got all three DDs and several TSes - Vitamin E, Navajo, palatial, camaraderie, France, and My Old Kentucky Home (but only after she got it wrong).

Foodstock was a very silly category and I loved it.

• Like 6

I got FJ.  At the last minute I was like, wait, why so long?  But, luckily I had no time to change my answer.

I got the missed clues of vitamin E, Inkheart and camaraderie (the only one I got in that category).

I got the entire category of trademark sounds right.

Great first round, not so great DJ, but way better than last night.

• Like 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It's on my bucket list of places I really would like to visit.

The only TS I got were Navajo, France (on a guess), and "My Old Kentucky Home."  I said the last one before Ken finished reading the clue.

• Like 3

Embarrassed by how poorly I did today, although I did get my 3rd FJ of the week. Only had 2 TS - Navajo (I've been to Monument Valley) and My Old Kentucky Home (courtesy of the Kentucky Derby). Should have guessed France but for some reason didn't.

Does anyone else think that Ben should have had to say Salmon Chase [with or without the P)? The category was "Fish" Out of Water and Chase is not a fish.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Does anyone else think that Ben should have had to say Salmon Chase

I thought he did say the full name. 

Bah, for FJ I thought Easter Island but then said “wait those wouldn’t be long, must be something else…” 🙃

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

A few days behind...

Seriously no one knew Jerry jones?

Who’s Jerry Jones?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
50 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I thought he did say the full name. 

Not according to the archive; I didn't actually watch the game, but it's usually accurate.

50 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Who’s Jerry Jones?

The reanimated corpse who owns the Dallas Cowboys football team.  But none of that game's contestants knew his team - even though they like to run around calling themselves "America's team" - which still makes me cackle just being reminded of it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Who’s Jerry Jones?

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The reanimated corpse who owns the Dallas Cowboys football team.  But none of that game's contestants knew his team - even though they like to run around calling themselves "America's team" - which still makes me cackle just being reminded of it.

I've hated the Cowboys since back in the day when they started with the whole "America's Team" crap (1970s? I am old). I almost always root against them except if they're playing a team I hate more like the Packers.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Bah, for FJ I thought Easter Island but then said “wait those wouldn’t be long, must be something else…” 🙃

I did the same, but luckily stuck with it because I didn't have anything else.

I didn't run anything, but I managed to get more than a few in almost all the categories, so I guess it was an OK game for me. Getting FJ is always a plus.

• Like 3

So last night was not a great night for me.  Did not get FJ although I did briefly think of Easter Island; I just forgot that Cook had been there.  I ran 3 categories: Scenic Southwest, Trademarked Sounds and Here's A Bit Of Everything.  Got all but 1 clue in Foodstock, In The Air Tonight and Fish Out of Water On Tv.  I'd have run that last one but didn't understand the category when the first clue was revealed.  I did get some stumpers, though: Navajo, My Old Kentucky Home, palatial, Inkheart and Maisie Williams (although I did almost say Arya).

I'm not liking Ben.  Not sure why, exactly, since he's not rude or over-showy or arrogant.  Maybe it's just because I have to turn the show up to hear him and then everyone else seems loud.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I've hated the Cowboys since back in the day when they started with the whole "America's Team" crap (1970s? I am old). I almost always root against them except if they're playing a team I hate more like the Packers.

I haven't even watched the NFL since the 70s and I still hate the Cowboys.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 4/13/2023 at 8:00 AM, Clanstarling said:

I saw the Pixar animation at a tech conference, when it was first starting to be shown. There was a lot of amazement and wonder.

SIG+CHI in Toronto around 1987? great conference, i student volunteered at that and it was eye-opening.

• Like 1

Today was quite possibly the worst game I've ever had - especially in DJ. I hate anagrammed/scrambled categories, probably because they're not on screen long enough for my poor brain to have a chance to unscramble them. And while I've heard of most of the 'B'ands I didn't get any of the clues. At least I did have 4 TS - arrowheads, Cottontail, Ben Hur (DD) and chorus/Horus.

I really liked Ken's suit today - a nice shade of blue with a complementary tie that looked good on him.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

I got FJ right.  total guess, but it counts

I think the only missed clue I got was cottontail.

I got the entire category of you lose wrong.  Not sure how to take that LOL.

Not a great game, but I've had worse.  this week even.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

April 14:

67% / 53% / 61%

Not a great end to the week... Did pretty well in J! until the You Lose category dragged me down; missed four there, two in Potent Potable Rhyme Time and Heads I Win, one in New York Nicks and Baker's Dozen, and ran Tales. In DJ I missed one in 20th Century Women, two in Ottoman Empire and World Facts, and three in everything else. Had to think a few seconds but I got FJ, and the TSes of Ben Hur (DD), Cottontail, arrowheads, Alan Turing, and Jerusalem.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

An okay game for me.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of cottontail, Ben Hur, arrowheads, and Jerusalem.

FJ was a lucky guess, only my second FJ this week.

I liked Ben's story of the tarts.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of you lose wrong.  Not sure how to take that LOL.

16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

April 14:

67% / 53% / 61%

Not a great end to the week... Did pretty well in J! until the You Lose category dragged me down; missed four there

Interesting, "You Lose" was my best category overall. I got 4 out of 5 correct. The only one I missed was (Casey) Stengel and I probably should have gotten that one too.

• Like 3

I did not get FJ tonight.  I didn't even have a guess.  Boo, hiss.

I did get the TS of cottontail, arrowheads, and Jerusalem.

I have got to start paying more attention!  I couldn't even tell you what distracted me tonight.  I did notice, and like, Ken's tie, though.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ tonight.  I didn't even have a guess.

I guessed Dante. 

18 minutes ago, Trey said:

I liked Ben's story of the tarts.

I'm liking Ben as champion a lot. I think it's because he has a broad range of subjects he is confident in but he also seems very low-key. For now I am even happy to see him get runaway scores. 

• Like 8

I usually stink at anagrams. My brain just never seems to work them out quickly enough. Also, science is not my strong suit, but I ran Anagrammed Scientists! It's the little things. 🙂

I really like Ben. I hope he sticks around for quite a while.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Today was quite possibly the worst game I've ever had - especially in DJ. I hate anagrammed/scrambled categories, probably because they're not on screen long enough for my poor brain to have a chance to unscramble them. And while I've heard of most of the 'B'ands I didn't get any of the clues. At least I did have 4 TS - arrowheads, Cottontail, Ben Hur (DD) and chorus/Horus.

I really dislike the anagrams, puzzles, etc. Give me geography, history, literature, music. But these categories that have to be solved? No thanks. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Jeez, after a really good week, this was not my game.  Not terrible, but disappointing after that run.

And, wow, I'm so old that enough time has passed to make the Tiananmen Square clue worth $1000?  What a reminder to start the weekend.

I only ran thirteen and lose in the first round.  I got all but one in Nicks and potent potable rhyme time (which ticked me off, as that combines two categories I usually run, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by daiquiri quackery; I was trying to rhyme something with mojito, and then switched to daiquiri, but didn't come up with quackery), but missed two each in the rest.

I didn't run a damn thing in DJ.  I got all but one in anagrammed scientists (fun category!) and women, but missed two each in everything else (which, in the case of the gods category, was pretty good!).

I did get FJ, but as a pretty last-second guess, so I probably wouldn't have under game conditions.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I also missed urban bourbon.

That was my favorite clue of the category.  (I was sipping Maker's Mark at the time, but I'd have nailed it on any other night, too, as Kentucky produces all of my favorite bourbons.)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I really dislike the anagrams, puzzles, etc. Give me geography, history, literature, music. But these categories that have to be solved? No thanks. 

I don't like them either. And I suck at them.  Anagrams aren't bad. The rhyming and others.  No

• Like 1
17 hours ago, zapper said:

SIG+CHI in Toronto around 1987? great conference, i student volunteered at that and it was eye-opening.

No, this was an event in Silicon Valley in 1986, I think (though it could have been '87). I was there with my work colleagues. The Pixar film, and finding my self standing next to Steve Wozniak (much shorter than I thought) were the highlights.

14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I usually stink at anagrams. My brain just never seems to work them out quickly enough. Also, science is not my strong suit, but I ran Anagrammed Scientists! It's the little things. 🙂

I really like Ben. I hope he sticks around for quite a while.

I'm usually terrible at them too, but although I didn't run the category, I got four, which is way better than I've ever done. So at least one thing to be proud of in this game.

I like Ben too, even though I have to turn up the sound to hear him.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was trying to rhyme something with mojito, and then switched to daiquiri, but didn't come up with quackery),

And I, not being a drinker, was trying to rhyme something with Cuba Libre. So...didn't get it.

I did run Deity for some unknown reason, generally I tank in these types of categories, like @annzeepark914 I like facts better than solving at the spur of the moment.

As for FJ, I actually DISMISSED Machiavelli from contention and went with Spinoza, which is wrong in so many ways. Sigh...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

For a split second I thought Pirandello. And then realized that even if Pirandello wrote a play and was from the right time and country, this is J! so the answer must be Machiavelli.

There's a statue or bust of him on the outside of the Uffizi, by the way, among other Florentine worthies

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

And I, not being a drinker, was trying to rhyme something with Cuba Libre. So...didn't get it.

Me too! My immediate thought was, "What the heck rhymes with Cuba Libre?" 😄 My mind never went to daiquiri, and that's funny because years ago my drink of choice was a Bacardi Cocktail, which is basically a daiquiri with grenadine. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

As a Jeopardy category, does "English Literature" refer to works that were written in England, or in the English language?  (We have seen "American Literature" as a category, but Jeopardy is not always consistent.)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bankerchick said:

OK, I'm sure I watched on Friday and I missed the first 30 seconds of today's show when Ken explained why there would be no 'scary defending champions' on tonight.  Is this a tournament of some sort?

No...travel issues with the current champ.  He will be back later on

• Like 3