Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Trey said:

Me too.  They should give it to us. Unless you add a little Dijon mustard they never will mix.

Another oil + vinegar here. I do wonder if they would have accepted that? (And thanks for the mustard tip.)

5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Definitely a book. And yeah, it does sound like an episode of Timeless. 😉

I think I read that book! But I can’t remember the name of it either.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Definitely a book. And yeah, it does sound like an episode of Timeless. 😉

Yes, an episode of Timeless (RIP), The World's Columbian Exposition.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

didn't read that one, but I did read a time travel book that used the serial killer as an antagonist for the time travelers, so I told my husband about the serial killer and it took a while for him to understand how a serial killer related to the world's fair (I probably was too enthusiastic about the topic). I don't remember the name of the book, sadly.

I did a little search, and came up with this one: Timebound by Rysa Walker.

"When Kate Pierce-Keller’s grandmother gives her a strange blue medallion and speaks of time travel, sixteen-year-old Kate assumes the old woman is delusional. But it all becomes horrifyingly real when a murder in the past destroys the foundation of Kate’s present-day life. Suddenly, that medallion is the only thing protecting Kate from blinking out of existence.

Kate learns that the 1893 killing is part of something much more sinister, and her genetic ability to time travel makes Kate the only one who can fix the future. Risking everything, she travels back in time to the Chicago World’s Fair to try to prevent the murder and the chain of events that follows." Doesn't sound like what you described, however. Apparently it was originally released as Time's Twisted Arrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Another oil + vinegar here. I do wonder if they would have accepted that? (And thanks for the mustard tip.)

I think I read that book! But I can’t remember the name of it either.

I don't think so - because the clue is:  "An idiom says that 2 people who don't get along "mix like" this pair of liquids", and as we know, oil and vinegar do get along. 😉

Thanks for the validation on the book!

49 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I did a little search, and came up with this one: Timebound by Rysa Walker.

"When Kate Pierce-Keller’s grandmother gives her a strange blue medallion and speaks of time travel, sixteen-year-old Kate assumes the old woman is delusional. But it all becomes horrifyingly real when a murder in the past destroys the foundation of Kate’s present-day life. Suddenly, that medallion is the only thing protecting Kate from blinking out of existence.

Kate learns that the 1893 killing is part of something much more sinister, and her genetic ability to time travel makes Kate the only one who can fix the future. Risking everything, she travels back in time to the Chicago World’s Fair to try to prevent the murder and the chain of events that follows." Doesn't sound like what you described, however. Apparently it was originally released as Time's Twisted Arrow.

YES! This is the book. Thank you!

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I could not think of John Williams' name to save my life.

I got the missed clue of Wars of the Roses.

I got the entire category of postal codes right.

I was very ashamed that I didn't get Red Sox.  What was I thinking?

I almost discounted John Williams because I had no idea he was as old as my dad would've been this year, but I couldn't think of anyone else who could possibly have had so many nominations so I went with Williams.

I had a middling game last night.  In addition to FJ, I got 3 stumpers (John Le Carre, Wars of the Roses and novel).  I ran Horoscopes, US & Canadian Postal Abbrevs. and Their First Published Novel.  Got all but 1 in Secrets Of The Elephants, Let's Guess Your Wait, _ & _, OK Millennial and Definitions From The Devil's Dictionary.

I should've run Old Wars but couldn't drag either Charles Martel or the Janissaries out of my brain.  And I stupidly said Kelly Clarkson instead of Carrie Underwood even though I knew better.  I should've known Grenoble but Chamonix got in the way.

Why are they called bread & butter pickles?

18 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I've found many of the recent entertainment-related FJ questions very easy. That John Williams answer was a very easy get. Not least of all that this year's Oscars was barely a month ago, where John Williams was nominated again and all the media mentioned multiple times about his being nominated 53 times.

I haven't watched the Oscars since the 2020 show so that would not have helped me.  It's one of those things where if you're interested in the subject it was easy.  My only problem with Williams was the age thing previously mentioned.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Not sorry Daniel lost. The tsunami hair was too much; I couldn’t take him seriously. Today’s wave was possibly even higher than yesterday’s— I think I might have seen a tiny surfboard in there. (I generally dislike commentary about people’s appearances, but he chose that style.) Step away from the hair gel, Daniel. It’s not too late.

I liked him but yeah, the hair was a bit distracting.  Made me think of something I once said about the players on the Premier League team I support: "Welcome to Arsenal, here's your weird haircut".  (Google the Arsenal roster circa 2010-2015, lots of strange hair.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And I stupidly said Kelly Clarkson instead of Carrie Underwood even though I knew better. 

Same, except I am not sure I do know better. Is there an easy way to meaningfully differentiate? I think I know Kelly has a talk show and Carrie was not especially great in the Sound of Music Live and beyond that I am blank.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Same, except I am not sure I do know better. Is there an easy way to meaningfully differentiate? I think I know Kelly has a talk show and Carrie was not especially great in the Sound of Music Live and beyond that I am blank.

I like Kelly Clarkson and enjoy her music and therefore do know that's she from Texas.  I couldn't care less one way or the other about Carrie Underwood.  That probably wouldn't help anyone else, though.

52 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And I stupidly said Kelly Clarkson instead of Carrie Underwood even though I knew better.  

I did the same, but I don't watch American Idol and I'm not a country music fan.

53 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Why are they called bread & butter pickles?

https://www.etsu.edu/cph/documents/bread_and_butter_pickles.pdf

"While similar recipes have likely been around for centuries, the bread and butter pickles that we know today date back to the early 1920s when Omar and Cora Fanning trademarked a generations-old family recipe for “sweet and sour” pickles. From Streator, Illinois, the Fannings made a living raising cucumbers. One season, the family fell on hard times, and Mr. Fanning made the resourceful decision to use the small cucumbers, which had been considered waste up until that point, to create an innovative side business. The resulting pickles were such a hit that Mrs. Fanning was able to barter with her local grocer, exchanging the pickles for household staples like bread and butter. The name stuck, and bread and butter pickles were an overnight success."

• Useful 9
41 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I, too, initially thought Kelly Clarkson.  I didn't realize I knew she's from Texas, but that popped into my head.  So I moved on to Carrie Underwood.  (I don't watch American Idol, but I know they were both discovered there.)  I didn't know if she's from Oklahoma, but had no other guess and for only $200 figured it had to be someone as famous as her, so stuck with her.

That was one of those clues were my reading the text so much faster than the host says it came in handy, as I had time for a couple of thoughts before a contestant chimed in.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

as we know, oil and vinegar do get along.

but they don't mix.  So, I guess we aren't getting credit for that one.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Is there an easy way to meaningfully differentiate? I think I know Kelly has a talk show and Carrie was not especially great in the Sound of Music Live and beyond that I am blank.

It's Kelly Clarkson in the ubiquitous Wayfair commercials.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Oh gosh - I had a medical professional named Carrie Clarkson.  Now I realize why I had such cognitive dissonance whenever I tried to remember her name.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

YES! This is the book. Thank you!

Hmmm… it’s not the one I was trying to remember. Although time travel killers are practically their own genre, so I’ve probably read a few. (Not that one, though.)

2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Kelly is from Texas. Kelly does mainly pop songs, although she has been known to wander over to country on occasion. Carrie is almost exclusively country. The only Carrie Underwood song I know is the one where she takes a bat and smashes up her cheating boyfriend’s truck. Kelly does a lot of power ballads about female empowerment. Carrie has hosted a lot of CMA award shows and her hair is blonder. That’s all I got.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

The only Carrie Underwood song I know is the one where she takes a bat and smashes up her cheating boyfriend’s truck. 

Lol, same here.

Kelly is also a coach on The Voice. I used to watch the auditions (I'd get bored once they got into the actual competition part, and the last couple seasons, at least, I didn't watch at all), and she and Blake Shelton like to fight over the country singers, so I maybe that's why I tend to think of her as country (even though the only song I know is not a country song).

• Like 1

The less said about today's game the better. Only 2 TS today - Thebes and ants.

Don't like that Deschanel didn't require a BMS since there are both Zooey and Emily who are actresses.

And the clue about Romania in the A European Vacation category took me back in time. Arad is the "big city" near the towns where my parents were born and I've been there back in the day (late 60s/early 70s). My grandfather and dad both worked on the electric train/trolley that traveled from Arad to other towns in the area, kinda like a commuter run.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

April 19:

73% / 45% / 58%

J!: Not too bad…ran TV, missed one each in Where Is It, Doc?, Olive You, and I'm So Proud, two in People in Books, and three in Ivy League Museum.

DJ: Very, very bad…missed one in Movie Comedies, two in Justinian Time and Music"O"logy, three in Matches, and four in European Vacation and Anagrams of Nostradamus.

Did not get FJ.

Got all the DDs and the missed clues of gloating, Thebes, and matchlock (after forcing "flintlock" out of my head).

Deschanel should have been a BMS.

Well, at least my shallow self was rooting for Devin so I'm happy.

• Like 4

I liked Deb Wednesday.  Today she came off as totally bored with the whole thing, like she couldn’t wait for it to be over.  Dude on the end was lifeless.  Lots of ennui (said in AT’s voice) on the Alex Trebek stage today.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I watched Jeopardy tonight in the Emirates Lounge at JFK airport. I’ll see y’all in a few weeks. 

Have a wonderful time! Send postcards!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

So happy that this won't be another zero on the FJ scorecard but I almost changed my mind thinking that it was too easy.

Me too! It made sense but it just was too easy. Yay for Devin. What was with all the sighing from Deb?

• Like 1

And that, there, folks, is why the third place contestant should bet zero if the 1st and 2nd are that close.

I did get FJ, but I had to think about it for a bit (so much for my "instaget or will-not-get theory!).  

I also got the TS of nail, gloating, and pipes.

I agree that Deschanel needed a BMS.  Also, Ben reminded me a lot of Zachary Quinto.  I was rooting for him.  Deb just seemed bored with the whole experience.

6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I watched Jeopardy tonight in the Emirates Lounge at JFK airport. I’ll see y’all in a few weeks. 

Have a great time!

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I finally got a FJ! 
A TS FJ to boot!
It was not an instaget, but I had enough time to reason it out, which makes me feel smarter anyway.

So, for:

• LIVES OF THE POETS
    At a seminary that classified students' degree of faith, Emily Dickinson was "without" this, which she compares to a bird in a poem

I first went poetic and tried on for size in my mind "flight" and "wings" but then quickly went back to the religious aspect and decided: Hope.

I attribute my ability to do this (instead of being my usual distracted and/or sleepy self as of late) because simultaneously on the nanny cam my grand-toddler was soothing himself to sleep by blowing bubbles in his crib, something I taught him before he could even vocalize. LOL! I think he has a future as a comedian. (We laugh while doing it together.) Hurray for endorphins!

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Got all the DDs and the missed clues of gloating, Thebes, and matchlock (after forcing "flintlock" out of my head).

I knew "matchbox" wasn't right, but, hey, I was close!

Question: 
If I'd been a contestant yesterday, and if I'd buzzed in first in the ____ & ____
category for this clue:

• Per a Tin Pan Alley song, love & marriage go together like this other pair

and if I'd sung out in perfect tune: "Horse and carriage ♪" 
(probably restraining myself from continuing further with "any time or weather ♫" out of respect for the goal to uncover all of the clues)
would the internet have loved it or hated it? 

And, while I'm "gloating," yesterday I ran U.S. + CANADIAN POSTAL ABBREVS.
But didn't most everyone?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

....  Deb just seemed bored with the whole experience.

Yes! Although I've occasionally been turned off by some over-the-top personalities — and we all have our own definitions of "over-the-top" — tonight's contestants, as a group, may have been the most low-key ever. "Mood for $800, Ken. What is ennui?"

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

I did like Deb - I didn't think they seemed bored, but maybe tired? Sad to see them go so soon, but I did like the new champ also.

I hadn't the foggiest idea for FJ. I guessed wings.

• Like 4

For FJ, my brain shuffled through every word I could think of having to do with either birds or religion, but nothing felt right. Wings, peace, faith, flight, grace, feathers, pigeon poop, whatever. Hope never even entered my mind. 

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Deschanel should have been a BMS.

Most definitely. And I say this as someone who knew it was a Deschanel but racked my brain to come up with the right one before time ran out. And then Ken said I didn’t need to do that, so I stopped. (It was Zooey. Emily is the Bones one.)

• Like 6

I ran doc and proud, and got all but one in books, museums, and olives.  Cultural osmosis only partially came through for me in the TV category, and I missed two (which isn't bad since I don't watch any of the shows). 

It got worse in DJ.  I didn't run a damn thing.  I got all but one in Europe, anagrams, and Justinian (I knew Hagia Sophia, but could not get it from brain to mouth in time), but I missed two in music, three in movies, and was terrible in matches -- the only one I got was, embarrassingly, Celebrity Death Match (I was quite surprised when that came out of my mouth, as I didn't even know it was in my brain, but then I remembered they did an X-Files episode and that's why I'd seen it [I watched anything and everything XF-related back in the day]).

Given my performance heading into FJ and its category, I expected to whiff it, but I know "Hope is the thing with feathers" well, so it turned out to be an instaget.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And that, there, folks, is why the third place contestant should bet zero if the 1st and 2nd are that close.

I think the really poor wager was Deb's.  They should have bet only $1,801 (enough to just exceed Devin's pre-FJ score).  With that bet, Deb would still be champion, even if Ben had gotten it right.

I knew the Dickinson quote (it's one of her better-known poems), but couldn't quite pull it out of my brain.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Yes! Although I've occasionally been turned off by some over-the-top personalities — and we all have our own definitions of "over-the-top" — tonight's contestants, as a group, may have been the most low-key ever. "Mood for $800, Ken. What is ennui?"

I said almost the exactly the same thing! I mean, I don't like some of the "extra" players, but this group made me think that they're putting valium in the contestants' water cooler.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Once again, I have to thank American literature classes at William and Mary for knowing FJ.  For some reason, Hope is a Thing with Feathers and Because I could not stop for Death stuck with me from Dickinson's work. 

However with the latter, I always sing the few lines I remember clearly to the tune of Amazing Grace and/or Gilligan's Island so now thanks to FJ, I have an earworm that is driving me slightly round the bend.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I know “hope is the thing with feathers” but the clue made no sense to me.  I was expecting to see at least one contestant snoozing.  They all seemed so bored, so over it, especially Deb.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've always said that if I were on, I'd Clavin it in FJ. This, however, is the one instance where I wouldn't. Wouldn't have to do any math, you see...just, I have little chance of winning, so I'll just leave it all here just in case there's a miracle in my favor.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And, while I'm "gloating," yesterday I ran U.S. + CANADIAN POSTAL ABBREVS.

But didn't most everyone?

Not me. My mind froze up and the mister got them all before I could thaw.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

For FJ, my brain shuffled through every word I could think of having to do with either birds or religion, but nothing felt right. Wings, peace, faith, flight, grace, feathers, pigeon poop, whatever. Hope never even entered my mind. 

Most definitely. And I say this as someone who knew it was a Deschanel but racked my brain to come up with the right one before time ran out. And then Ken said I didn’t need to do that, so I stopped. (It was Zooey. Emily is the Bones one.)

Same for me in FJ. I guess I have no hope in my mind 😉

It didn't even occur to me that Deschanel needed a BMS because I was proud enough of saying Zooey Deschanel. But yeah, I'm much more familiar with Emily. Zooey annoys me for some reason.

It was a poor game for me. Though I did get Estonia because of my current boning up geography. So that's good.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Don't like that Deschanel didn't require a BMS since there are both Zooey and Emily who are actresses.

Yeah, that bugged the hell out of me.

I did better in the first round than in the second.  I ran People In Books, Olive You, TV and Justinian Time.  Got all but 1 clue in Where Is It, Doc? and European Holiday.  Would've run those if I'd stopped thinking that Lithuania was the northernmost Baltic republic and if I'd thought about the horribly bruised big toe I had for more than a year.  Oh well.

My stumper gets were An American Tragedy, pipes, Thebes and matchlocks.  I absolutely should've gotten Joshua Reynolds but Thomas Gainsborough wouldn't get out of the way.

I waffled back and forth between hope and belief for FJ.  Settled on hope in time to write it down.

I'd have been fine with any of the 3 contestants winning but have to admit I was rooting for Devin because he was very attractive.  Although I did detect some hint of a resemblance to Michael Phelps, which does bother me a little because I can't stand Michael Phelps.

43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Zooey annoys me for some reason.

It's the manic pixie dream girl thing which I find annoying about her.

8 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

or Time After Time, where Jack The Ripper jumps into HG Welles' time machine to land in 1970's San Francisco.

I love that movie!  It was the very first videotape I ever bought.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

However with the latter, I always sing the few lines I remember clearly to the tune of Amazing Grace and/or Gilligan's Island so now thanks to FJ, I have an earworm that is driving me slightly round the bend.  

I usually sing it to "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My mind first went to Emily but I was picturing Zooey and I knew I had the name wrong, but it took me a second to correct.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

(I knew Hagia Sophia, but could not get it from brain to mouth in time),

I should have gotten that one. I read a (very thick) book on European History last year that covered the Hagia Sophia and it's conversions over the years, but I couldn't think of the name.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

My stumper gets were ... pipes

Ooh, I got pipes, too. Forgot to mark it.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Although I did detect some hint of a resemblance to Michael Phelps, which does bother me a little because I can't stand Michael Phelps.

Yes! It was sort of nagging in the back of my brain that he resembled someone... I have no strong feelings one way or the other about Michael Phelps, though, so I don't mind.

I think Devin looks a bit like Hozier, which makes him very attractive in my book. 😍

As soon as the FJ category was revealed, I said out loud that Ben should bet nothing at all. Let Deb and Devin make the big bets they would have to make and just glide in as a low scoring champion if they both got it wrong. Why do they never listen to me? 😄

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I think Devin looks a bit like Hozier, which makes him very attractive in my book. 😍

Had to google, having no idea what Hozier looks like. I can see it.

• Like 2

Much better game today than yesterday, especially in the J round. Ran Flying Colors, and got 4 right in History, Literary Fruit Stand and Missing U (don't know how I missed Uranus). Didn't do quite as well in DJ, but still better than yesterday as I got 4 right in Globetrotting and Remembering Barbara Walters.

Got 3 TS - Mango Street, Jet Blue and Hawaiian Airlines (DD). Funny thing, my dad worked with someone who lived on Mango Avenue, the real "street" in Chicago.

Had no clue for FJ.

I might be a little picky, but I think that Castro should have been a BMS. Yes, the Barbara Walters interview was an iconic one, but Fidel and Raul were both presidents of Cuba.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

or Time After Time, where Jack The Ripper jumps into HG Welles' time machine to land in 1970's San Francisco.

That’s the book I was trying to think of! Thanks.

• Like 1

April 20:

90%! / 63% / 75%

Another great first round and not so great second round. In J! I ran Literary Fruit Stand, Missing U, and '80s & '90s R&B Songs (when I saw the category I said "I might actually have a shot at this one!"; anything more recent and I'd have been out of luck, I'm sure), and missed one each in History, Flying Colors, and My Prerogative. In DJ I missed one in Reptiles and Homophones, two in Face the Politician, "P"otpourri, and Barbara Walters, and three in Globetrotting.

I should have known FJ but I did not.

Got all three DDs and the missed clues of Hawaiian Airlines (DD), Mango Street, Bobby Brown, and draco lizard.

• Like 2

i knew it was wrong, but for lack of a better answer I said Yahooey.

i got the missed clues of Hawaiian Air, Mango Street, and Bobby Brown.

i got the entire categories of Lit and u (seriously has there ever been an easier category) right.

• Like 4

I had absolutely no idea whatsoever for FJ tonight.  I've never heard of the novel or the author, so there was no possibility of getting it right.

The only TS I got were Hawaiian Air and draco.

• Like 2

If you knew me, you'd be saying, "How the heck did *she* know Bobby Brown when these young folks didn't?" 😸  I was pulling for Devin, but I really liked all three of these contestants. I was sure Sam was going to win (probably Emma did too). Another TS was Sarah Lawrence College. Good game.

• Like 2

I'm going to be watching Top Chef tonight, so just checked the archive.  For about half the politicians clues, I had to give myself credit that had I been able to see the pictures, I'd have responded correctly, but for the most part I didn't need the pictures to know the correct response (e.g. Bobby Brown, which they didn't get even with a picture).

This is not the first time a clue about The House on Mango Street has been a TS.  I guess I can't say I'm surprised, but it does bum me out a little.  I was surprised by the jet blue TS.

I ran Missing U, songs, and flying (and got temporarily distracted when the El Al clue made the image of the Air Israel plane from Airplane! pop into my head) and got all but one in the rest, so I had a good first round.

I was a little off my game in DJ, though; I usually do well in geography, but I missed three in Globetrotting.  I also missed three in reptiles.  I ran homophones, politicians, and potpourri, and got all but one in Barbara Walters (I had no idea where she'd gone to college, and Bronxville didn't help me).

I had no chance in hell at FJ; I had no idea what kind of books the author writes (I'd never even heard of him, that I'm aware of), so didn't know what kind of word to be thinking of.  With nothing to go on, I just gave up.

• Like 2

I actually am familiar with the author (Neal Stephenson) and I’ve read at least a couple of his books, but that wasn’t helping me… but at the last second the answer materialized. Not sure I could have written it down in time but I’m counting it here!

FWIW - Seveneves is an amazing book and I’m glad I read it, but I’m not sure I’d have the attention span for it now! (To clarify - that’s not the book in the clue, it’s another of his books and the one I most associate with him.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
43 minutes ago, ABay said:

I've heard of Gibson and know what kind of books he wrote. I kept trying to think of a short form of cyberspace that made sense for the question.

Same here; I thought of cyberspace but I didn't think it was right. I did know it was some kind of internet term (I have read in the past that it's from one of his books) but I couldn't come up with it.

• Love 1