Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For FJ, I tried to recall the Best Picture winners from the '80s and could only think of Gandhi, Chariots of Fire and Terms of Endearment. I went with TOE, even though it couldn't have been right as there were more than three essential characters, but I knew that Shirley MacLaine, Jack Nicholson, and Debra Winger were all Oscar nominated.

I'm 0/3 in FJs this week and '80s movies are right in my wheelhouse, so I'm not at all optimistic about Thursday and Friday!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

All I could think of for FJ was Deathtrap but I could not remember the name of the movie- just that it had Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve.  Turns out it had more than 3 characters anyhow. 

Saw a sad tweet this morning from the champ.  He is staying off of Twitter for a while because of mean tweets about his appearance.  Good for him for putting his mental health first, but how sad that his Jeopardy experience was tainted like that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
(edited)

I saw Driving Miss Daisy on Broadway and I still missed that one! I said “Kramer Vs Kramer” because I knew that it won Best Picture and that Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep and the 8-year-old boy who played their son were all nominated. (Still the youngest nominee ever!) I’ve never actually seen it so didn’t know it had more people. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I read The Firm when it first came out and thought it was okay but not good enough for me to read anything else by Grisham.  So he didn't come to mind at all.  I said Don DeLillo for FJ, not really sure why except maybe something about the year.

I've read a bunch of Grisham (during my legal fiction days). His best book (in my opinion) was his first book - "A Time To Kill".

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

had no idea on FJ.  All I could think of was Waiting for Godot and I was fairly sure that wasn't a movie.  At least not in the '80s.

I thought of that too, but the only movie I could come up with that might be influenced by it was "My Dinner with Andre" and that didn't really fit. (story, back in the day I went to Blockbuster looking for "Diner", couldn't find it because they only alphabetized by the first letter, asked them if they had that and the guy checked the computer and saw "My Dinner with Andre" - it was only later that I realized that the kid didn't know how to spell "Diner." LOL.

I was so annoyed, I've been using an online geography game to work on my weaknesses, and really boned up on State Capitals - and then they had to scramble them! Dag nabit. Scrambled words are another weakness of mine, but at least I got Tallahassee.

"Wrong pew" turned into "pew, pew, pew" on our couch, so we had ourselves a laugh. (no mind altering substance in use - just old age)

Not a great game, but I did run Literary Bad Day (from my apocalyptic reading days). They're not so fun anymore...

No FJ, another bad week for them. We'll see how Thursday and Friday go.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

For FJ, I tried to recall the Best Picture winners from the '80s and could only think of Gandhi, Chariots of Fire and Terms of Endearment. I went with TOE, even though it couldn't have been right as there were more than three essential characters, but I knew that Shirley MacLaine, Jack Nicholson, and Debra Winger were all Oscar nominated.

I'm 0/3 in FJs this week and '80s movies are right in my wheelhouse, so I'm not at all optimistic about Thursday and Friday!

I'm right there with you on both counts & I've been doing well in the categories this week.

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I saw Driving Miss Daisy on Broadway and I still missed that one! I said “Kramer Vs Kramer” because I knew that it won Best Picture and that Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep and the 8-year-old boy who played their son were all nominated. (Still the youngest nominee ever!) I’ve never actually seen it so didn’t know it had more people. 

The clue stated only the original off-broadway show had  three characters, not the movie adaptation.  Driving Miss Daisy, the movie, also starred Patti Lupone as Daisy's daughter-in-law.  Jane Alexander was also nominated for best supporting actress in Kramer vs Kramer.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Wasn't home to keep score last night. My dad asked me to come over after work to tell me my mom's in the hospital (they didn't want to say anything until they knew more and then he didn't want to tell me at work) so I don't really care to check (but I did stay a while and watched with him). She probably had a mini-stroke Tuesday night but seemed okay yesterday. CTs were fine. She just texted and said "no permanent damage" so I guess the MRI she got last night was okay, too, and she's getting one more test and then she'll be going home with new BP (her BP was something like 200/110 when the EMT checked it) and cholesterol meds (she has resisted the latter for years).

I know I got at least a couple TSes and did not get FJ. Never seen the movie and not sure I knew it was a play. Couldn't tell you if I ran anything; can't even remember what any of the categories were (except the literary bad day one, in which I missed one - I kept thinking aphids instead of Triffids; I knew it was close but couldn't get there. Also never read the book). 

My mom thinks the champ looks like Hitler. I'll admit that was my first thought the other night but then I thought a young Mr. Banks from Mary Poppins.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 16
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Wasn't home to keep score last night. My dad asked me to come over after work to tell me my mom's in the hospital (they didn't want to say anything until they knew more and then he didn't want to tell me at work) so I don't really care to check (but I did stay a while and watched with him). She probably had a mini-stroke Tuesday night but seemed okay yesterday. CTs were fine. She just texted and said "no permanent damage" so I guess the MRI she got last night was okay, too, and she's getting one more test and then she'll be going home with new BP (her BP was something like 200/110 when the EMT checked it) and cholesterol meds (she has resisted the latter for years).

I know I got at least a couple TSes and did not get FJ. Never seen the movie and not sure I knew it was a play. Couldn't tell you if I ran anything; can't even remember what any of the categories were (except the literary bad day one, in which I missed one - I kept thinking aphids instead of Triffids; I knew it was close but couldn't get there. Also never read the book). 

My mom thinks the champ looks like Hitler. I'll admit that was my first thought the other night but then I thought a young Mr. Banks from Mary Poppins.

Wishing your mom a complete and speedy recovery.  I also get Hitler vibes from the Champs appearance.  I can't even look at the screen. My dad was a Holocaust survivor so his look really triggers me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 7
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Bklyndeb said:

Wishing your mom a complete and speedy recovery.  I also get Hitler vibes from the Champs appearance.  I can't even look at the screen. My dad was a Holocaust survivor so his look really triggers me.

My first reaction was a slip of the finger, not a deliberate choice, so I hope it doesn't show up in your notifications.

I have relatives who were in the camps for other reasons. I can see how his look would be triggering, though until this discussion I hadn't really noticed the resemblance.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I hope all goes well for your Mom from here on. 

I noticed the champ's resemblance to Hitler the first time he appeared, so I was concerned when Ken's small talk with him was about a costume he had worn. My first thought was, "OMG, they're going to talk about him dressing up as Hitler?!?!" I breathed a sigh of relief when he said Penn Gillette. I really thought we were about to go down a very odd road. Whew!

Now, I can see Mr. Banks too, but not until you mentioned it.

• Like 6

I did my best to talk myself out of Driving Miss Daisy because I was sure it had been on Broadway, winning a Tony.  (Nope, was probably the Pulitzer I was thinking of.)  Nothing else fit, though, so I figured it had to be it.  Briefly dallied with Amadeus, since I knew it had been a play as well, but couldn't fit that into the rest of the clue.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I had a fairly lousy game last night.  Only ran Lakes & Rivers and Last Battle.  Got all but 1 clue in Bible Books, Medicine Cabinet, Double Meanings and Literary Bad Day.  Only got one right in Scrambled Capitals - my own state's capital, Annapolis; I suck at scrambled words/anagrams.

I did get 5 stumpers: Daniel, Ambien, Star of Bethlehem, Lake Lucerne and Puerto Rico.

I waffled between Children of a Lesser God and Kiss of the Spider Woman for FJ.  Decided on the latter because it seemed more likely to only have 3 characters.  Never seen either film or Driving Miss Daisy.  Not really what I think of when I hear "80s movies" to be honest.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

They were Lake Lucerne, Murder on the Orient Express, and Star of Bethlehem.

I made the same mistake with Murder on the Orient Express that Teresa did.  I misread the clue and thought they just wanted the name of the train.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Brian made me laugh with "learn something new every day" about marsupium.  I didn't get that one, either.  I know animals with pouches for their babies are marsupials, I just didn't know the pouches are called marsupiums.

Me, too.

I was rooting for Brandon.  He seemed nice and was cute.  And yes, being on Jeopardy makes you famous, at least locally.  Just ask the pizza delivery guy who wanted me to sign his birthday card when he found out I'd been a contestant.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

"Wrong pew" turned into "pew, pew, pew" on our couch, so we had ourselves a laugh. (no mind altering substance in use - just old age)

Don't feel bad.  I've been laughing like Beavis and Butthead over a certain euphemism for penis a LOT this week.

• LOL 1
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did get 5 stumpers: Daniel, Ambien, Star of Bethlehem, Lake Lucerne and Puerto Rico.

I know I got Star of Bethlehem, Lake Lucerne and Puerto Rico (which was a guess). I also guessed marsupium based solely on the animals being marsupials. Had no idea if it was even a word but figured it was worth a shot. Also got Murder on the Orient Express and felt bad for Teresa when I realized she had misread it.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only movie based on a play with three characters that I could think of was so far off the mark, I'm embarrassed to name it.  (Doubt)

I post this only in hopes of making you feel better in comparison for your guess of Doubt:
Mrs. Doubtfire briefly popped into my head for yesterday's FJ, perhaps because I had recently read or heard someone praising the late Robin Williams and couldn't think of the titles of any of his other films.

When Brian seemed so flabbergasted by his first win for the FJ NOVELISTS clue of:

• "A 2012 book review noted subjects that 'sparked his ire': capital punishment, big tobacco & 'the plight of the unjustly convicted'"

by correctly responding with "Who is John Grisham?"
― I assumed Brian, like myself, had read a lot of John Grisham, and so the name was all he could think of in the moment (although I did not actually come up with John Grisham ― or Scott Turow, who I've also read from that genre). 
I had assumed Brian was not expecting John Grisham to be the correct response because John Grisham does not (I don't think?) garner a lot of critical respect. 

But perhaps Brian was very sure of his answer and just surprised that the others didn't get it too?

Or maybe he was just surprised that the FJ clue was something he did know without a doubt?

Anyhoo, no FJs for me last week or so far this week.
I did get a few TSs that others here got too.
Averaging 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep in 24 probably not conducive to playing Jeopardy!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Bklyndeb said:

Playing catch up thru the dvr and my first glimpse and first thought was Hitler.  He has to be aware of the resemblance so while I wouldn't berate him over it I really don't want to watch him.  Why couldn't he be on Mayim's turn?

I didn't notice a resemblance to Hitler.  I paid more attention to his Tennessee Orange shirt and tie.  Looking at his photo on jeopardy.com, I see more Oliver Hardy than Hitler.

• Like 18
  • Love 1

Archive game for me, so when I saw a word puzzles category I thought I wouldn't be able to see any of them.  I'm glad that wasn't the case, as the Franks and beans one made me laugh.

I liked the last group of category titles in DJ, playing on Bea Arthur and her two big shows.

I ran word puzzles, landowners, and got all but one in ancient cities and threes & fours.  But pop culture did me in as it sometimes does in the first round; I missed three each in movies and books.

I did really well in DJ; I missed two in mod (and in neither case would being able to see the pictures have helped) and one in golden, but ran the rest. 

I did not get FJ, though.  It, of course, made all the sense in the world once revealed, but I got stuck on Strasbourg rather than thinking of the river it's a port city on.

• Like 3

All those years of listening to my sister's 45 of Rhinestone Cowboy and watching Dance Moms rhinestoning costumes did not help me.  I had no clue.

I didn't get any missed clues.

I got the entire category of 3s and 4s right and the entire partial category of speeches wrong.

Not a particularly good game.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't notice a resemblance to Hitler.  I paid more attention to his Tennessee Orange shirt and tie.  Looking at his photo on jeopardy.com, I see more Oliver Hardy than Hitler.

He actually did remind me of HItler, but I wasn't going to say anything.

• Like 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out here. Now I can't unsee it.  And after tonight's show, Mr. Not Hitler can take his fist pumps, extraneous comments and overemphasized answers and fuck right off. Not because he looks like Hitler but because he's obnoxious, imo.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 9
  • Applause 4

I didn't get out of work until almost seven (it was that or work tomorrow which is a holiday for us, but it's also fiscal close week so I had to get everything done by today if I wanted to not work, and I spent a lot of time waiting for my boss to approve stuff), so I got home just in time to catch FJ (the think music was already going when I turned on the TV), which I did not know. I am 0 for 4 this week...hopefully tomorrow can redeem me. Gonna go find the game on youtube now.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Some knowledge of geography would have helped me tremendously tonight.  I had no idea for FJ, as I had no idea where Strasbourg is.

I did at least get the TS of Mediterranean and Arthur Murray.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

If he's smart, he'll shave that stupid mustache

Per a picture in the article posted upthread, he turned it into a goatee.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out here. Now I can't unsee it.  And after tonight's show, Mr. Not Hitler can take his fist pumps, extraneous comments and overemphasized answers and fuck right off.

Word. Along with his reactions after winning which was somewhat endearing after his first win but not so much now - particularly since this was another runaway game.

And how did they not clear the board in DJ? By my count there were only 2 TS and hardly any other clues that weren't answered correctly the first time around.

Decent, but not great game for me. Ran Be Arthur - how was Arthur Miller a $2000 clue DD? Got 3 TS - Byzantium, Norman Mailer and Arthur Murray, but no clue for FJ.  While I've cruised on the Rhine I don't associate it with Strasbourg.

Edited to add...just saw the picture of Brian with the goatee. While it does change his look I think that his hair is different as well. It was the mustache along with the hairstyle that gave me the Hitler vibe which I hadn't really noticed at first until it was pointed out here. And while I don't think his personality is Hitleresque some of his mannerisms bug.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 4

April 6:

80% / 75% / 76%

Pretty good game, actually…in J! I ran Word Puzzles and Threes & Fours, missed three Movies, and one each in Ancient Cities, Big American Landowners, and Lit-Pourri. In DJ I ran Latin Words & Phrases, missed three in Speeches, but only missed one each in everything else. As already mentioned, I did not get FJ (and it's a good thing I caught it when I got home because the video I watched completely cut it off...) Also got all three DDs and the TSes of franks & beans and Byzantium.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, I immediately thought of Hitler, as well. I keep referring to him as Adolf.

• Like 1

The new champ does NOT look anything like Hitler. Nope. Not at all. Not even a little. He shouldn’t change his hair to look less like hitler either. Or shave his little mustache. Nope!

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, clubsauce said:

The new champ does NOT look anything like Hitler. Nope. Not at all. Not even a little. He shouldn’t change his hair to look less like hitler either. Or shave his little mustache. Nope!

I never once thought Hitler upon watching him, so after reading today's posts I tuned in to the end of the game after Top Chef (which I was watching for the first half of it) was over, and, yeah, now that it's been said I can see it from a distance with the hair and mustache combo, but in a close-up that gives a proper view of his face, nope.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Nope, not just you.

This is a real guy, an ordinary human being who, so far as we know, has done no harm to anyone, who is being compared to one of the most evil men in history for no reason other than that he wears a mustache.

"Uncomfortable" is an understatement.

• Like 16
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Or change the hairdo. To me, it's more the hair than the mustache that's Hitleresque.

Well I hadn't noticed any resemblance until it was mentioned here and after careful consideration watching last night I came to the same conclusion as you about the hair as his mustache is at least twice as long.

And I'm sorry but I find it a little worrying if the way he looks slightly like someone is what people don't like about him with all that is wrong with the world & the country at the moment.

Looks ever so slightly like a certain person = ripped to shreds online

Acts like a certain person = sure we'll vote for him

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don’t think Brian looks a thing like Hitler.  It never crossed my mind.  He sure is fast on the buzzer.  I could see Cameron on Thursday trying to buzz frantically.  I have not gotten the last 2 FJs…..

P.S.  He looks much younger and hipper with the goatee and new hair do.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Some knowledge of geography would have helped me tremendously tonight.  I had no idea for FJ, as I had no idea where Strasbourg is.

Though geography is my weak point, I do know where Strasbourg is and lived in Germany for a number of years. Even so, even knowing Rhinestone Cowboy, I did not get to rhinestones (maybe because in my mind they don't translate as "fashion", but are on par with glitter, which I hate)

Do you think they'd have accepted Wolverine, instead of Logan? They just mention "this guy" rather than "in this movie. If so, I ran that category.

If not, then I almost ran six categories - a pretty good day for me. Except, of course, for FJ - still at 0 this week. ☹️

I, for one, am enjoying Brian.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I realize it’s not breaking any rules here but does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable discussing how much someone does or doesn’t resemble Hitler? Just me?

I wouldn't say something like that to someone or say it in a more widely read forum and I wouldn't use it as a reason to not want him to be champ, but no, I don't feel particularly uncomfortable talking about it here.  Other contestants have had their appearances discussed and sometimes actually in more derogatory terms.  If it bothers someone, they don't have to join in on that part of the discussion.

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

for no reason other than that he wears a mustache.

It's not the mustache in my case.  It's more the hairstyle.  And on that note, I've said all I really feel I need to say on that particular subject.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3

Well I had a pretty crap game last night.  I did get FJ because I was fairly sure Strasbourg was on the Rhine and thus rhinestones made the most sense.  I got only 2 stumpers, Byzantium and Norman Mailer; would've gotten 3 if I'd been visualizing Syria and not Iraq.  Oops.

I only ran At Threes & Fours.  Did get all but 1 clue right in Ancient Cities, Big American Landowners, Lit-Pourri, Not Making It To The End Of The Movie, Latin Words & Phrases, Be Arthur, Golden Girls and & Then There's Mod.  Like Brian, I also said Arthur Miller instead of Arthur Murray.  I knew it started with an M but couldn't quite get there.

Am I the only one who was disappointed that the movie category didn't reference Sean Bean?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

We all know geography's not my thing.  I said Suriname.

I got the missed clues of epitome, Grieg, oscillation, Santa Fe, Dutch East Indies Company and aquiline.

I got the entire category of rulers right.

• Like 3

Well, well, well.  If Mr. Smartypants hadn't tried to prove how great he was by including what he was sure was Rossini's first name,  he'd have won tonight.   Ha ha.

And no, jerkweed, you don't get a fist pump for Higgs Boson.  Anyone who'd ever watched more than two episodes of The Big Bang Theory would've gotten that one. 

I said Venezuela, completely forgetting that Colombia has a Caribbean coast.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I waffled between Venezuela and Colombia, flipped a coin, and it came up Colombia.  Good for me!  That FJ was harder than it should have been.

I also got the TS of Debussy, oscillation, Dutch East Indies Company, aquiline, and reticulated.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I must confess--I peeked here and saw that "Mr Smarty-pants" lost. Thank goodness. I said Venezuela too and when Ken said it wasn't, I switched to Colombia. Those equator clues always frustrate me. I'm so glad Rachel won (also would've been happy with Brandie winning). 

• Like 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Brian can keep his hairstyle and mustache, no gripes here, but those ridiculous fist bumps have got to be outlawed.

My thoughts exactly, too too childish.

For me, it's the hair more than the stach. But so sad that he was treated that way. But I cheered like a girl when he lost. Just didn't care for his know-it-all demeanor.

Edited by Deskisamess
  • Like 5
Just now, annzeepark914 said:

I have a question about the pie that has a lattice top. The only pie I've ever had with a lattice top is cherry, never apple. 

My Apple pie has a lattice top, my cherry pie has a full crust top. Google Grandma Ople's Apple Pie.

• Like 1

I surprised myself by getting FJ today. Thought of Brazil, but then went no, Suriname, Guyana and French Guinea would block it from the Caribbean. Then I debated Venezuela vs. Colombia and actually picked the right one.

O.k. game today. Ran Americana and got TS Grieg, Greenfield Village, epitome and Santa Fe.

And IMO Higgs Boson had no business being a high value DJ DD clue.

• Like 2