Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Are they not getting enough new people who want to play or something? Getting a little tournamented out...

I am annoyed by the term "post season" applied to Jeopardy. Post season makes sense in sports where there is a defined cutoff to the season's play and the post season consists of the championship rounds. In Jeopardy the champion at the end of the arbitrary television season simply continues as champion at the start of the next season. Maybe it's a hiatus in regular play but it's not post anything really.  

• Like 11
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Are they not getting enough new people who want to play or something? Getting a little tournamented out...

I'll play! But after my spectacular bombing of the online test today, I sort of doubt they'll take me. If only we could submit recordings of us shouting out the answers at home...

And I kind of like Lisa, though I see where she could get annoying if she goes on a long run.

• Like 4

Lisa doesn't disappoint once again -- she's got wackadoodle wrong answers for every game.  Today's best gem: Adam & Eve.  I'm going to miss her.

I'm going to be watching Top Chef tonight, so I checked the archive.  Thankfully, there weren't many clues with photos, and I knew them all without needing to see the pictures.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed Salzburg and long bow.

I didn't run anything in DJ, but I got all but one in EI, places, and 1950s (I knew it was King George, but had no idea which number).  I missed three in snowman, but only missed two in religion (okay, okay, that was two of only four clues revealed and I only guessed Kaddish thanks to The X-Files and only got hymnal because Sharon got me there with her wrong answer, but still!).  I missed another two in titles.

I couldn't come up with anything for FJ.

• Like 6

March 30:

70% / 57% / 64%

Decent first round...missed one each in State Motto Translations, A Salt, and A Deadly Weapon, and two each in Spousal Support, 5 Consonants, and Celebrity Memoirs. Not so decent second round...missed one in Religious Service and "EI", OH!, two in 1950s, three in The Greatest Snowman (but I giggled at the category title), and four in Titles (another reason for my college to take back my English degree…). My TSes were sword and hymnal (I was raised Methodist; it didn't stick but I guess it was useful for something...).

But I got my first FJ of the week and it's an asterisk!

I liked Lisa's shirt again, but I can't say I'm devastated that she's going home (I liked her but she was getting to be a bit much).

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

After getting Whirlpool stuck in my head, I came up with Jacuzzi in the nick of time.

I got the missed clues of east and the Falcon and the Snowman.

I got the entire partial category of '50s right.  I thought I was going to get all of salt right, but I missed the $200 clue.  I hate that.

So so game.

32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Lisa doesn't disappoint once again -- she's got wackadoodle wrong answers for every game.  Today's best gem: Adam & Eve.  I'm going to miss her.

I didn't know that way.  But, I did know For Whom the Bell Tolls and more importantly that Hemingway didn't write the Grapes of Wraht.

I think I had my own stupid answer, but I can't remember what it was.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I got FJ tonight.  Hydrotherapy plus pump gave me the instaguess.  And the asterisk!  Woo hoo!

I also got the TS of Blithe Spirit, Tortola, and hymnal.  

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

(I was raised Methodist; it didn't stick but I guess it was useful for something...).

Same same.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I honestly wonder if this is being done specifically for Yogesh to get another chance to make the TOC. 😒

That guy can eat my poo

George the iv in the 1950s was pretty bad too.  Over a century off

I couldn't think of fj but makes sense. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

It's both!  From Wikipedia:

I think there's a term for that kind of thing.  Backronym, maybe?

Oh and if anyone is still watching Greys Anatomy, tonight’s show starts out with an explanation of apgar 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

After getting Whirlpool stuck in my head, I came up with Jacuzzi in the nick of time.

I was trying to think of who made adjustable handheld showerheads and wound up settling on Water Pik.

I was cheering for Sharon. Would she have had the runaway without the Aegean?

I didn't dislike Lisa and her anecdote today was extremely on-brand but she was too reckless with responses that were far off-base. Maybe guessing was the secret to her success as well but sometimes you need to hold back.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For FJ, the only “water” brand I could think of was Waterpik, although I knew it was wrong. Unless there was some new form of dental arthritis I hadn’t heard of. Jacuzzi was so obvious once revealed, but it just never occurred to me. 

Tomorrow’s FJ better be an easy one, because I am marching my way towards a shutout this week.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same here. Sometimes it felt like Lisa was playing First Impression Jeopardy— just saying whatever popped into her head. Not a great strategy, but an entertaining one. And it got her through two games, so good for her.

As for Sharon… what a fun family Thanksgiving she’s going to have this year!

• Like 10

This former Lutheran knew "hymnal," as well. I got a LOT of TS. Jeez, they even left clues on the board.

I don't know which wacky guess was worse - Adam & Eve or Hemingway. I'm glad she's gone. I was getting more and more annoyed by her facial expressions. And I'm very happy for Sharon, not so happy for her sister. LOL

• Like 8

I’m ok with Lisa losing tonight. I found her to be too distracting. I got F.Scott and  Zelda Fitzgerald, and FJ was an instaget. My first asterisk in awhile. 

Salzburg was a timely clue. I’ll be there (as well as some other places) in April. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Are you taking a river cruise?  I have been able to answer a lot of clues because of my travels on Viking!

I’m not, but will take my answer over to Small Talk. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

For FJ, the only “water” brand I could think of was Waterpik, although I knew it was wrong.

I thought it was probably wrong but I held out a faint hope that it could be a case where the origin story was not what the brand had eventually become best known for. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

In her defense, I don’t think it was stated that APGAR is an acronym. I have no kids and have never heard of this test… could have been named for Dr. Apgar?

I have had two, and realized during this clue that they never told me the APGAR results for either of my two children (they were - briefly - problematic, maybe they didn't want to worry me).

16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh and if anyone is still watching Greys Anatomy, tonight’s show starts out with an explanation of apgar 

It's still on? It's well past its smell by date.

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Salzburg was a timely clue. I’ll be there (as well as some other places) in April. 

I was there last April. I love Salzburg.

20 minutes ago, Trey said:

The only thing I could think of for FJ was Evinrude.  No wonder I'm 0/4 this week.

I decided that they were playing a trick and it wouldn't have anything to do with water at all, so I thought...suction...Dyson!

Which is why I'm also at 0/4 and instead of saying "oh well, there's always tomorrow" it's more like "oh no, there's only tomorrow!"

Other than that (Mrs. Lincoln) I did pretty well all around, and ran Celebrity Memoirs (If you count "Chandler Bing" as an answer - I know...)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
47 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Took me 4 days this week, but I got FJ. I don't have RA, but these achy old bones love a Jacuzzi.

I don't either but I do have an aching back. We replaced our jacuzzi style old tub that came with the house, with a regular garden style tub. Now I wish we'd installed a new jacuzzi.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

March 31:

73% / 59% / 67%

Again, decent first round and not so great second. Ran Health & Medicine and Golf Thing, missed one Charity, two Songs from 60s Musicals and Big Spender, and three in Vermont. In DJ, I ran nothing, missed one in Literary Places, three in To The Tower, and two in everything else. FJ was almost an instaget, except I blanked on the actual city name for a few seconds…but it got me my second FJ for the week. My TSes were bunker, sober, and Kazuo Ishiguro.

• Like 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Calvin Coolidge, bunker and override veto.

I got the entire category of Vermont right. If I hadn't I would probably have to move.

I had a good first round, a horrid DJ, and bounced back with FJ.

• Like 5

I can't believe I missed FJ tonight!  So, so obvious, and should have been so, so easy.  I have no excuse.  

The only TS I got were bunker and siege tower.

I cracked up at middle woman's story about her one-eyed cat called Smba, who watches the left half of Jeopardy.

• Like 7
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I missed that. I was making a sandwich. I would have loved it, I'm sure.

She said she rescued a one-eyed cat, and called him Simba, but spelled S-M-B-A, because he's missing an eye.  Ken asked if he watches Jeopardy, and she said, "Only half, and mainly the left half."

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I cracked up at middle woman's story about her one-eyed cat called Smba, who watches the left half of Jeopardy.

I was rooting for her just for that!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I’m sorry, but the cat needed to have a name that normally has two i’s, but in this case only has one. But I’ll let that pass since he only watches the left half of Jeopardy!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I liked the SMBA story, and I also want to read Jen's novels. I'm also enjoying the champ, because we rarely ever get a woman who wouldn't pass for 25.

Edited by possibilities
bloody typo again
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I can't believe I missed FJ tonight!  So, so obvious, and should have been so, so easy.  I have no excuse.

I saw 700 and immediately shouted "Rome" (because the traditional date of Rome's founding is 753 BCE) before I noticed "psychological response", read the relevant founding date of 1252, and pivoted to Stockholm. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My excuse is I added 700 years and a bit and was then thinking of something that happened in the late 1950s. I didn't think "over 700 years" meant "over 720 years".

But yes it was extremely obvious in retrospect.

• Like 3
Just now, possibilities said:

I'm way too old for YA books, but I still like them.

The last time I was in the children's room at my public library, it was because I was looking for a middle grade book I wanted to read. I was at least in my 30s at the time, maybe older (I'm 47 now). I also have at least one on my Library On The Go wishlist.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The bunker TS surprised me.  I didn't know it as a golf term, but at $200 I figured that was going to be the below-ground fortification they wanted.  I'm also a little bit surprised, even at $1000, no one guessed Hong Kong for the rhyming region of China.

"Easy fixer" for low maintenance amused me.  Not as much as Lisa's wrong answers, but still.  Brittany also made me laugh with her one-eyed cat story.

I only ran health and golf (I only knew mulligan from the golf part of the clues, but thankfully got the rest from the "regular" definition) in the first round, but I got all but one in all the rest other than Vermont, in which I missed two.

In DJ, I only ran politics.  I got all but one in movies and word pairs, but I was terrible in ancient, only coming up with one.  I missed three in literary places and two in towers.

FJ took me a good bit of the allotted time, because I was stuck in the 1950s (like another poster, I wasn't expecting "over 700 years" to be quite so many years over) but then came to me in a flash.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

My excuse is I added 700 years and a bit and was then thinking of something that happened in the late 1950s. I didn't think "over 700 years" meant "over 720 years".

That’s exactly what happened to me. When the answer was revealed, I complained that I had been misled to focus on the 50s. Of course, Mr. Helens had no sympathy because he got the right answer (damn it).

• Like 2
9 hours ago, secnarf said:

But yes it was extremely obvious in retrospect.

I got Stockholm, but your sentiment is how I felt about Jacuzzi. LOL.  It's amusing how different brains work, what we remember, and what we've forgotten.

• Like 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I ordered "P.S. I miss you" from bookshop.org

I'm way too old for YA books, but I still like them.

YA novels are much more interesting than the ones when I was younger. They deal with more complicated issues and emotions. I think the lines between YA and "adult" novels are fairly blurred these days. So I don't think anyone is too old for them.

Thank you Jeopardy Gods for giving me an FJ I got immediately and spared me a 0 FJ week. Since I never do exact math, the "over 720" worked for me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That’s exactly what happened to me. When the answer was revealed, I complained that I had been misled to focus on the 50s. Of course, Mr. Helens had no sympathy because he got the right answer (damn it).

Thankfully I completely ignored the numbers in the clue and just focused on "city" and "psychological response." Then I wondered if Stockholm is a port, but I couldn't think of anything else it might have been, anyway.

• Like 4
(edited)

I watched all last week but wasn't on the internet, so I just have my info from Friday's game:

FJ was an instaget.  I got 8 stumpers: bunker, Calvin Coolidge (hey, I got a president thing right!), Ishiguro, override a veto, Magnum Force, limestone, Quiet Riot and siege towers.  Otherwise it was on okay game.  I ran 4 categories (That, Or A Golf Thing, Songs From '60s Musicals, Oh, The Literary Places You Don't Want To Go and Last Lines Of Movies) and got all but 1 clue in 4 others (Health & Medicine, Hey, Big Spender, Politics Talk and Ancient VIPs).

On 3/29/2023 at 10:15 PM, IdEatThat said:

How did this current champ pass the audition?  With the faces and physical reactions she’s unwatchable for me.  

I really liked her and was sorry to see her go, but I like Sharon too.

Edited by proserpina65
Because golf is not gold. Or interesting, for that matter.
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1