Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Was that woman's 'story' seriously that she basically once changed a roll of toilet paper?   

Pretty weak game overall.  

I always mix up Allison brie and brie Larson. I know who is who and what each has done but I have to stop and think to get it correct.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Good J round - ran Geometrical Geography and "M"usic Class and got 4 in '80s Movie Comedies and A Baby. Not so good in DJ as I only got one each in Writers of the Cloth and Tough, Tough Guy TV.

Didn't get FJ - got to New York but got hung up with Grand Central Station. Should have gotten it considering all the New York based crime shows talking about the Port Authority.

Got 2 TS in the J round - Point Barrow and respiration (DD), but only 2 out of the many TS in DJ - Bernini and encyclical (DD).  Thought I had a third until I realized that they wanted kinetic, not cinema.

• Like 5

I liked Lisa's blouse, so was low-key rooting for her, but she had some eyebrow-raising incorrect guesses (starting with her "speech" response for the Apgar DD early on, not catching that Apgar is an acronym so it had to start with an R [plus, you let kids get a little older than a baby before you start testing their speech]), so I figured Nicole was going to repeat. 

Like another poster, as I started reading the "This title guy and 2 friends had quite a day" clue in '80s comedies, I first thought "Bernie".  But as I continued on to the examples of what they did, I realized it was Ferris Bueller.  It amused me all out of proportion when the next clue in that category was indeed about Bernie.

Thankfully, no bad categories for me in the first round this time; I ran movies, babies, and idioms (fun category!), got all but one in music and geography (the Point Barrow TS; I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before), and missed two in men.

Not the case in DJ -- I was terrible in words, only knowing suture, and missed three in history.  It was a weak performance all around; I got all but one in Rome and writers, but didn't run anything.  I missed two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, so at least I ended on a high note.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

This was a really hard game for me. I haven’t seen so many answers that I’ve never even heard of in I don’t know how long. Needless to say, I did not do well.

For FJ, I said New York Transit Authority. Husband said MTA, same as Nicole. I know the correct answer was Port Authority, but I’m confused. The internet tells me that New York Transit Authority oversees all bus and subway operations in NYC. It also says NYTA and MTA are the same thing. So what is the difference between them and Port Authority? Is is that PA runs the station but not the buses? 

As an aside, I was momentarily excited to see the words “bus terminal” in the clue, since my pre-guess was Greyhound. So close.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

This was a really hard game for me. I haven’t seen so many answers that I’ve never even heard of in I don’t know how long. Needless to say, I did not do well.

For FJ, I said New York Transit Authority. Husband said MTA, same as Nicole. I know the correct answer was Port Authority, but I’m confused. The internet tells me that New York Transit Authority oversees all bus and subway operations in NYC. It also says NYTA and MTA are the same thing. So what is the difference between them and Port Authority? Is is that PA runs the station but not the buses? 

As an aside, I was momentarily excited to see the words “bus terminal” in the clue, since my pre-guess was Greyhound. So close.

The Port Authority of NY and NJ oversees transportation between NJ and NY. This includes the PATH Trains which transverse the Hudson River from NJ into NY and also bus transportation from NJ into NY. Those interstate bus routes terminate at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, turn around and head back to NJ. The bulk of those buses are operated under the NJ Transit banner. There is also a much smaller bus station operated by the Port Authority on the NY side of the George Washington Bridge

The buses and the subways that operate within NYC operate under the MTA banner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

This New Yorker thought for sure that those three New Yorkers would know the answer.  It's known as the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

And you can't forget it once you've seen the Letterman bit of Larry "Bud" Melman welcoming bus riders to NYC & offering them a hot towel.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Final Jeopardy was not quite an instaget for me, even though I go through Port Authority once a week, the words "polished stone and steel" really threw me off.  Had they said 'faulty escalators and long lines" I would have felt more confident in my response.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 12

This was a pretty good game for me. Didn't run anything, but came close to running several categories, and did reasonably well on most.

No FJ again - the only thing transportation wise in NYC I've experienced is the airport and the hotel shuttle.

I liked Lisa and was glad she won (though I would have been fine with anyone). She was funny and lively.

Apparently our station was knocked out by the snowstorm we had. The recording was blank. But thank you YouTube, it's nice to know we always have a backup! I'm so tired of this extended roller-coaster winter weather, though it'll hopefully be good for fire season (aka summer).

• Like 4

I haven't been to the Port Authority in about 30 40 years, but even then it was more grungy than shiny. I knew it HAD TO be the PA they were talking about, but I was also thrown off by the physical description. I guess maybe it looked that way when built? I honestly can't even imagine it, but I guess time is cruel.

Edited by possibilities
realized it was 40, not 30, years
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Final Jeopardy was not quite an instaget for me, even though I go through Port Authority once a week, the words "polished stone and steel" really threw me off.  Had they said 'faulty escalators and long lines" I would have felt more confident in my response.

I used to go to NYC for work a few times a month but I took the train to Penn Station (and that was several years ago, now). It's been probably almost 30 years since I took a bus to the city. So I didn't get it. (Though one of my parents' neighbors is/was a Port Authority cop, it didn't even occur to me.)

• Like 3

I don't live in NY, but I have visited now and again, and I got FJ.  

I also got the missed clues of respiration, Barrow, and Vera Cruz.  I, too, misread the clue about the cinema and thought I had a TS.  Ooops!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

March 29:

70% / 60% / 64%

Ran Writers & Poets, missed three Disaster Arias, two Common Bonds and A Real Long Shot, and one National Nicknames and Ps Out! In DJ I missed one each in Synonyms, Plains/Trains, and Autocrats and two in Dali, three Science Initials, and four Tree-Named Places. For FJ I had nuthin' and my only TS was The Count of Monte Cristo.

I loved both women's shirts today. 

• Like 3

I'm not sharing my final answer because it was stupid.  

I got the missed clues of The Count of MOnte Cristo and panama Canal.

I got the entire categories of synonyms of European and autocrats right.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

Unbelievably (to me) I got FJ! I was trying to keep the date in mind and thought it had to be someone before say, Stephen Crane, and the only one I could think of was Irving!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Did Alex provide *comforting* comments? Tonight, Ken just told Iris that she was the first to answer a clue. I don't remember Trebek doing things like this. It just seems as though he's saying the others probably could've answered this clue correctly...but couldn't, due to not buzzing fast enough. Lisa is OTT. 

Edited by annzeepark914
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of The Count of MOnte Cristo

I stared stupidly at the image and could only remember the Man in the Iron Mask who probably didn't go swimming much.

I am mad I missed Magyar -- I wouldn't call that a nickname since  it was about the country's proper name in Hungarian.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Autocorrect gone mad. Stared, not started.
  • Like 3

I had no idea for FJ tonight.  The year didn't help, and all I could think about was Batman and Gotham City, so of course that didn't help either.  Oh well!

And the only TS I got was The Count of Monte Cristo.

Not my best night.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
25 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I stared stupidly at the image and could only remember the Man in the Iron Mask who probably didn't go swimming much.

Definitely not. It would have rusted:)

• LOL 6

I guessed Melville for FJ because of "Bartleby the Scrivener." 

I admire Lisa for having the guts to walk away from her law career and pursue her dream to become a quarterback. But OMG, those grimaces, body twists, and hesitant squeaky voices!

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Hard to say; Ken seemed to take her story at face value.

I feel quite confident that it was a joke and that Ken was playing along. I have to say that if I had to come up with contestant anecdotes for Jeopardy I would far rather tell ridiculous ambitions than real personal stories.  Claiming to look like Oates and announcing her plan to break into the NFL seem like exactly that kind of deflection.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 23
  • Useful 1

Lisa's Spruce Moose guess cracked me up.  She's entertaining.  And, on a shallow note, I liked her blouse again tonight.  Iris's, too.  More substantively, good game between them in DJ.

No one guessing The Count of Monte Cristo surprised me a bit, along with Panama Canal.  No one knowing where the Black Panthers were founded bummed me out.  And, like remembering Valentina Tereshkova's name, being Designing Women aficionados would have helped contestants again; Poplar Bluff wouldn't have been a TS.

I ran writers, bonds, and P's and got all but one in nicknames and long shots, so I had a great first round.  Especially because I only missed two in arias, which is a tough category for me even at first-round values.

I kicked ass in DJ; I ran places, planes/trains, and autocrats, got all but one in science and synonyms, and only missed two in Dalí.

But I joined the contestants in being stumped by FJ.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Lisa's Spruce Moose guess cracked me up. 

I believe "The Spruce Moose" was the name of Mr. Burns' plane on "The Simpsons" when he went through a one-episode Howard Hughes phase.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
22 minutes ago, BlearyEyed said:

I believe "The Spruce Moose" was the name of Mr. Burns' plane on "The Simpsons" when he went through a one-episode Howard Hughes phase.

Interesting; I did not know that (I've only seen the show twice, once when they did an X-Files episode in which Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny voiced their characters and once when I was spending the weekend with friend who's a fan [I have no memory of what happened in that random episode as I quickly switched to reading while he watched since the show did not hold my attention at all]).  Maybe she's a Simpsons fan, and thinks the name from that episode was the actual name of the plane, because she seemed sure of her answer and confused when it wasn't right.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Claiming to look like Oates and announcing her plan to break into the NFL seem like exactly that kind of deflection.

The NFL quarterback thing is obviously a joke, but I do think that she has a slight resemblance to John Oates--minus the mustache, of course.

I've got no real problem with Lisa, apart from the occasional weird guess.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Hard to say; Ken seemed to take her story at face value.

No, Ken was just playing along with her.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one knowing where the Black Panthers were founded bummed me out.

But one of the guesses was truly hysterical.  Sacramento!  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Q: “The title hero of this Dumas novel…”

A: ”Who is Jules Verne?”

Isn't Lisa the one who also said "speech" for the "R" in APGAR (test for newborns)????

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
Just now, illdoc said:

Isn't Lisa the one who also said "speech" for the "R" in APGAR (test for newborns)????

Yep.

I find most newborns' speech abilities are just terrible, personally.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 10
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had no idea for FJ tonight.  The year didn't help, and all I could think about was Batman and Gotham City, so of course that didn't help either.  Oh well!

I got as far as "oh, that's where "Gotham"  originated" but didn't get a guess. My husband got it though, less from knowing him as an author and more as understanding the Rip Van Winkle story as an allegory (?) for the changes the country went through pre-revolution to post-revolution. (or at least that's my understanding)

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Q: “The title hero of this Dumas novel…”

A: ”Who is Jules Verne?”

😂

I'm so glad I have my brain farts on the couch and not at the podium.

I did pretty well, and ran a couple of categories. But I remain FJ-less. 😥

• Like 5
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It wasn’t a joke?

It had to have been.  There are too many quality QBs out there to hire a woman with no experience who is only a couple of years younger than Tom Brady.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

In her defense, I don’t think it was stated that APGAR is an acronym. I have no kids and have never heard of this test… could have been named for Dr. Apgar?

I like Lisa and her sense of humor. Quarterback was definitely a joke, but I could definitely see her and a blonde friend entering a Hall & Oates lookalike contest. I mean, why limit the fun to male contestants only? I’m not blonde, but I’d have been down for that.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

In her defense, I don’t think it was stated that APGAR is an acronym.

It wasn't: "The Apgar score is a 5-part test of appearance, pulse, grimace, activity & this function." Though it should be obvious from the first letters of the rest of the parts, but under pressure on stage I'm sure it can be easy to overlook that.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

In her defense, I don’t think it was stated that APGAR is an acronym

Clue: The Apgar score is a 5-part test of appearance, pulse, grimace, activity & this function

The bold is what she should have noticed

Whoops! same time as AMS!

Edited by dgpolo
add
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
17 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

In her defense, I don’t think it was stated that APGAR is an acronym. I have no kids and have never heard of this test… could have been named for Dr. Apgar?

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It wasn't: "The Apgar score is a 5-part test of appearance, pulse, grimace, activity & this function." Though it should be obvious from the first letters of the rest of the parts, but under pressure on stage I'm sure it can be easy to overlook that.

8 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Clue: The Apgar score is a 5-part test of appearance, pulse, grimace, activity & this function

The bold is what she should have noticed

Whoops! same time as AMS!

It's both!  From Wikipedia:

The Apgar score is a quick way for doctors to evaluate the health of all newborns at 1 and 5 minutes after birth and in response to resuscitation.[1] It was originally developed in 1952 by an anesthesiologist at Columbia University, Virginia Apgar, to address the need for a standardized way to evaluate infants shortly after birth.

I think there's a term for that kind of thing.  Backronym, maybe?

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

I dislike this. Sure, let's just bring everyone back. 🙄

From "The Jeopardy! Fan":

Season 39’s Champions to All Return In Post-Season This Fall

As was announced today on the Inside Jeopardy! podcast in conjunction with JeoparDAY! by Executive Producer Michael Davies, a “Champions’ Wildcard” Tournament will be instituted as part of this fall’s postseason play, in between Second Chance (whose return was confirmed today) and the Tournament of Champions. Every single player who wins a game in Season 39 will be invited to the event (if they haven’t qualified for the Tournament of Champions).

While full details of the event have yet to be announced, it is anticipated that the full postseason schedule is intended to take 10 weeks.

• Sad 8
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Are they not getting enough new people who want to play or something? Getting a little tournamented out...

I honestly wonder if this is being done specifically for Yogesh to get another chance to make the TOC. 😒

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 6