Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 3/30/2023 at 5:30 PM, ProudMary said:

I honestly wonder if this is being done specifically for Yogesh to get another chance to make the TOC. 😒

We really need an angry face reaction just for Yogesh. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
On 3/30/2023 at 7:32 PM, ams1001 said:

Decent first round...missed one each in State Motto Translations,

As soon as I saw the category, I thought of my state's, although I prefer the more accurate translation "Manly Deeds, Womanly Words".

On 3/31/2023 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

I'm also a little bit surprised, even at $1000, no one guessed Hong Kong for the rhyming region of China.

I keep forgetting that Hong Kong belongs to China now.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

We really need an angry face reaction just for Yogesh. 🤬

Yes! It could be called The Yogesh Face. Why would TPTB ever want that sour, angry man to reappear on this show? I'm just glad he's not my neighbor 😎.

• Like 3

April 3:

67% / 77% / 70%

Not a super-great start….in J! I missed two in Rocks & Minerals and Sing, three in Grover Cleveland's World, and one in everything else. Did much better in DJ, running Their Lesser-Known Books, Common Bond Cuisine, TV, and Adjective Then Noun, but the other two categories kinda tanked my score; I missed three in National Heroes and four in Superlative Earth. I got the TSes of old school, soft power, and fast track (DD). And while my brain went to France and/or Germany as a potential location, I did not come up with FJ.

• Like 3

I got the ts of old school and the missed DD of Jamaica.

FJ was just gibberish until nearly the last second when Maginot Line came to me. 

I liked the old champ but new champ is fine.  I liked Dan too.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

No idea for FJ tonight.  I did figure out that it was something in Europe, and probably had to do with WWII (tanks), but beyond that, had nothing.  

I got the TS of shadows, pumice, old school, and fast track.

• Like 3

Mr. TV was busy googling exactly what an eponym is, but I refused to let him tell me, while I was mentally going through, that’s like an acryonym, right? No it’s the thing where something’s named after someone. No  it’s like APGAR. Or SCUBA. Meanwhile the show went on and I was nowhere close. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

No idea for FJ tonight.  I did figure out that it was something in Europe, and probably had to do with WWII (tanks), but beyond that, had nothing.

I had worked my way around finally to Dunkirk but wasn't happy with the 'eponym' part of the clue/category so I didn't have anything, I doubt I would ever have come up with the Maginot Line, I feel like that was a clunky clue.

Didn't keep track of my TSs but I do remember yelling Pumice! Pumice! at the tv.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Didn't keep track of my TSs but I do remember yelling Pumice! Pumice! at the tv.

I got as far as "the one from lava what the heck's it called?"

I just couldn't connect the wording of FJ with the category of eponyms, so I was just lost.

• Like 9

Dan has utterly no idea who Marcus Garvey is, does he?  That New Zealand guess was ... something.  But I liked his gesture when he was trying to come up with the London ripper guy.

No one guessing old school for "kick it ___ ___" was a little surprising.  But it was a nice, evenly-matched game.

If not for the music category, I'd have only missed one clue in the entire first round (Dr. Caligari in horrors).  Alas, that damn music category; I only knew Jolene and the shadows of the night TS.

I ran books, heroes, and cuisine, and got all but one in the rest in DJ, so I was on fire that round.

FJ took me most of the think music, but it finally came to me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guessed volcanic rock, so at least I was in the right ballpark.

As for FJ, my losing streak continues. I know what an eponym is, and the mention of tanks got me to the right decade, but beyond that? Nothing.

I disliked Dan after his introductory story. I get you’re not a soccer fan, but it’s clearly important to your daughter, so maybe take an hour or two to do some research and learn about it, so you can give her the support she deserves? Gah.

I wonder if Crystal went backstage to vomit between games. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I love Miley's cover of Jolene; I've had it on my ipod for years. (Also love her outfit in the video.)

Thanks for this. Great cover.  I’d love to hear Miley do the entire Dolly Parton catalog— if anyone can do Dolly justice, it’s her goddaughter.

• Like 5

Knowing FJ was some kind of WWII fortification named for a person my first thought was the Siegfried Line, even though I knew that was wrong because the Germans wouldn’t have been written as having “stout hearts,” finally the Maginot Line came to me just in time! 

Dan had some amusing answers there. Marcus Garvey from New Zealand?! 😆

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I disliked Dan after his introductory story. I get you’re not a soccer fan, but it’s clearly important to your daughter, so maybe take an hour or two to do some research and learn about it, so you can give her the support she deserves? Gah.

Throughout the game, I kept hoping Sharon would pull it off again because Dan & Crystal were really distracting with all their bizarre contortions. They probably studied Lisa for acting tips. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Mr. TV was busy googling exactly what an eponym is, but I refused to let him tell me, while I was mentally going through, that’s like an acryonym, right? No it’s the thing where something’s named after someone. No  it’s like APGAR. Or SCUBA. Meanwhile the show went on and I was nowhere close. 

Unfortunately we googled afterwards...but I don't think we would have gotten to the Maginot Line. The hubs went with Dunkirk, but that sounded wrong to me, so I got nothing.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Me too - though the hubs yelled out Pumice! before I could get any further.

It wasn't a terrible game for me, but the hubs was hot tonight and very pleased with himself (as he should be). But it is not the standard order of things, doggone it!

• Like 4

I too was baffled by FJ. I knew what an eponym was, and was sure that the clue referred to France, but the phrases seemed too long for a headline. And somehow I thought they wanted a verb.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ajsnaves said:

The only thing I could come up with was “Blitzkrieg”. I wonder if that would have been accepted as it was what overran the Maginot Line. 

I don't think blitzkrieg is an eponym, so I don't think so.

• Like 2

I had a great game last night.  There were only 2 categories where I got more than one clue wrong and if I'd actually said "Jamaica" for Marcus Garvey rather than just thinking it, it would only have been 1.

I only ran 3 categories (President Grover Cleveland's Non-Consecutive World, Horrors! and You're Gonna Sing), but got all but 1 clue right in How Does It Fasten, Rocks & Minerals (would've run that one if I could've remembered that pumice is the word for cooled lava rock - I knew what they wanted but couldn't come up with it), Like A Bird, The Superlative Earth, Their Lesser Known Books, Common Bond Cuisine, TV and Adjective Then Noun.

I got Shadows of the Night, Australia, Caspian Sea and fast track for my stumpers.

I had no idea for FJ, even though Maginot Line has come up on Jeopardy relatively recently.  I didn't know what a eponym was and the clue simply didn't give me enough info.  It made perfect sense when Ken said the correct answer but nothing in that clue lead me there.

17 hours ago, Trey said:

I liked the old champ but new champ is fine.  I liked Dan too.

Dan bugged me a little for some reason, but I'd have been okay with him.  At least he's not Yogesh.

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I had worked my way around finally to Dunkirk but wasn't happy with the 'eponym' part of the clue/category so I didn't have anything,

That was pretty much what I did, too.  I didn't think Dunkirk was a eponym but I had nothing else.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

You think they would've accepted "cooled lava rock"?  😉

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

A lot of my correct responses were guesses - like the mountain Kosciuzsko in Australia.

I owe knowing that one to my love of reading books about people dying while climbing mountains.  Kosciuzsko is one of the Seven Summits (if you are counting continents and thus do not include the highest mountain in Oceania).  They get talked about in Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, among many other mountaineering books.

33 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I don't think blitzkrieg is an eponym, so I don't think so.

It's just German for lightning war, so definitely not an eponym.

Fun fact: both blitz and eclair translate to English as lightning.  I learned that from watching The Tick.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
44 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Fun fact: both blitz and eclair translate to English as lightning.

Thus, two of Santa's reindeer, Donder & Blitzen, translate to Thunder & Lightning.  Seems pretty powerful names for sweet lil reindeer.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Driad said:

I too was baffled by FJ. I knew what an eponym was, and was sure that the clue referred to France, but the phrases seemed too long for a headline.

Headlines were longer in those days.

This is not a link to the precise headlines that the clue quoted, but it shows how long headlines, sub-headlines, and sub-sub-headlines could get.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Mount Doom, Luncheon on the Grass, sword, Winslow Homer and Lake Erie.

I got the entire category of picture right.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

April 4:

63% / 70% / 66%

Not a great start again…ran nothing in J!; missed one in Middle Earth and Days of My Life, three in Reruns, and two each in the rest. Did a little better in DJ; ran Turtles, missed one in Waterfront Property and two each in the rest. FJ did not come to me, though I read the first several of Grisham's books when they came out... TSes were Mount Doom, sword, sympathy, Hudson's Bay Co, and Lake Erie.

I was rooting for Brian and his reaction to realizing he won made my day. :)

• Like 6

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight.  I was momentarily distracted by something shiny, then re-read the clue and paid attention, and got it immediately.

I also got the TS of Mount Doom, sword, sympathy, Winslow Homer, and Lake Erie.

I mostly rooted for Brian.  He lost me a little when he said, "Thank God" or whatever it was when Ken told him he was back in the lead.  

• Like 9

I took an instant dislike to him, for many reasons. Hope he's gone soon.

19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I guessed volcanic rock, so at least I was in the right ballpark.

As for FJ, my losing streak continues. I know what an eponym is, and the mention of tanks got me to the right decade, but beyond that? Nothing.

Why would she???

The sympathy TS surprised me.

I did every bit as well as expected in Middle Earth, which is to say I blew it entirely.  If not for that epic disaster of a category, I'd have only missed one (You Bet Your Life) in the whole first round.

On the flip side, I did not run a single thing in DJ.  But I got all but one everything other than sports medicine, in which I missed two, so it was still a good round.

I did not have a guess for FJ, though.  I made the completely boneheaded move of forgetting the category (in my slight defense, I was listening from another room at that point, so did not have it in front of me on the screen), so my mind went to non-fiction authors and couldn't pick one.  Even if I'd been thinking of novelists, I don't think I'd have come up with it; I've never read any of the books, and the only film adaptation I remember details from (as it's the only one I've ever re-watched among the handful I've seen) is The Client, so Grisham isn't very present in my mind.

• Like 3
(edited)

Good J round - ran Remember Reruns? and got 4 right in all the rest of the categories except for The World of Middle-Earth. Had to go to the archive for that round since ABC was still covering you know who's arraignment and didn't join the show until the beginning of DJ.

Didn't do as well in DJ as Tarantino Films was a total disaster. TS for me were Mount Doom, sympathy, Lake Erie, Tiber (DD) and Hudson's Bay Company.

Don't know where my mind was at in FJ. I swear my brain thought of John Grisham but didn't settle on it as an answer. Oh well.

Not a Brian fan, but he was the only one who got FJ so I can live with him. Interesting point - if my math is right he would have tied with Crystal if he didn't get FJ.

Edited by chicagofan
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Even if I'd been thinking of novelists, I don't think I'd have come up with it; I've never read any of the books, and the only film adaptation I remember details from (as it's the only one I've ever re-watched among the handful I've seen) is The Client, so Grisham isn't very present in my mind.

IMO, the best in the lawyer series is The Brethren (3 corrupt judges serving time in prison). The writing was excellent, especially in a scene when the 3 judges were thwarted & were furiously (& silently) trying to figure out how to regain control of the situation. I read it in the 80's & can still envision this scene.

• Like 1

I GOT ONE! First correct FJ in more than a week. Good thing, because that hole I was digging for myself was becoming exhausting.

I’m glad Brian didn’t get the Lake Erie clue, because Ken inadvertently gave him a hint and we don’t need any more Internet backlash. (After the women incorrectly guessed Lake Superior and Lake Huron, Ken asked Brian which Great Lake he wanted to guess, even though the clue didn’t mention that it had to be a Great Lake. Brian could have been thinking Chautauqua Lake, for all we know.)

I have mixed feelings about the new champ. He was annoying me during the game with the self-promoting commentary, but his reaction to winning was kind of endearing, albeit a bit much. (I like enthusiasm, so if I’m telling you to settle down, you’re taking it too far.) I’m writing it all off to nerves, but I hope he can rein it in a bit tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

FJ was an instaget for me.  I like Brian and found his enthusiastic surprise at being the champion both endearing and relatable.  I would not be as reserved as most are if I actually won the game so I enjoyed seeing his reaction.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I GOT ONE! First correct FJ in more than a week. Good thing, because that hole I was digging for myself was becoming exhausting.

I’m glad Brian didn’t get the Lake Erie clue, because Ken inadvertently gave him a hint and we don’t need any more Internet backlash. (After the women incorrectly guessed Lake Superior and Lake Huron, Ken asked Brian which Great Lake he wanted to guess, even though the clue didn’t mention that it had to be a Great Lake. Brian could have been thinking Chautauqua Lake, for all we know.)

I have mixed feelings about the new champ. He was annoying me during the game with the self-promoting commentary, but his reaction to winning was kind of endearing, albeit a bit much. (I like enthusiasm, so if I’m telling you to settle down, you’re taking it too far.) I’m writing it all off to nerves, but I hope he can rein it in a bit tomorrow.

I did like his reaction to winning even if it was over the top.  

I got lis franc.....Dwight freeney had one in 2007 big blow to the colts season. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I started out neutral with Brian (I usually, but not always, do the same for all new contestants). But his reaction to winning endeared him to me. His FJ was so clearly a wild a**ed guess (due to the reaction) and he was so happy. I didn't find it over the top, it just tickled me.

I did reasonably well for me, ran one category (Turtles), and nearly ran Reruns and All the Days of My Life.

I did not get FJ, sadly, though I've read many Grisham books. I don't think I parsed it correctly. Though the Lewis and Sinclair guesses had me yelling "the DATE, read the DATE") (well, maybe not yelling, just a little snippiness) To be fair, Upton Sinclair did write about issues of his day so it wasn't (except for the date) a bad guess. I only vaguely remember Sinclair Lewis.

• Like 4

It was a pretty good game for me.

I got the ts's of Hudson's Bay Co., sympathy, and Lake Erie.

The year 2012 + topics of law and justice brought me pretty quickly to John Grisham. I wasn't positive that was correct but I wasn't surprised that it was him.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I got lis franc.....Dwight freeney had one in 2007 big blow to the colts season. 

I hear you. For me it triggered bad memories of 2008 when Yankees' pitcher Chien-Ming Wang suffered a lis franc injury while having to run the bases in an Interleague game. 😡 It basically ended his career. He pitched again but was never the same. 😥

It still took 15 years longer for the National League to adopt the designated hitter. 🤬

• Like 1

Despite not getting FJ, I did really well last night.  Got 8 stumpers: Mt. Doom, sword, quarter, sympathy, Lake Erie, the Tiber, Hudson's Bay Company (which is still in operation!) and Luncheon on the Grass.  Should've gotten Winslow Homer but couldn't drag his name out of my brain despite being very familiar with his work.

I ran Remember Reruns?, The World Of Middle Earth, Goodness & Mercy, Waterfront Property, Turtles All The Way Down, and "Odd"s and "End"s.  Got all but one clue correct in Looks Good Enough To Eat, Shall Follow Me, All The Days Of My Life, Paint Me A Picture and Tarantino Films.  Only had one category where I missed more than one clue (Sports Medicine) and I just missed two in that one.

I was fine with Chloe as champion but Brian's fine, too.  I liked his tie.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never read any of the books, and the only film adaptation I remember details from (as it's the only one I've ever re-watched among the handful I've seen) is The Client, so Grisham isn't very present in my mind.

I read The Firm when it first came out and thought it was okay but not good enough for me to read anything else by Grisham.  So he didn't come to mind at all.  I said Don DeLillo for FJ, not really sure why except maybe something about the year.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Should've gotten Winslow Homer but couldn't drag his name out of my brain despite being very familiar with his work.

I have a couple of his prints and still managed to say Homer Winslow.  Thankfully, with it being a TS, I had time to register what I'd said and correct myself.

• Like 3

had no idea on FJ.  All I could think of was Waiting for Godot and I was fairly sure that wasn't a movie.  At least not in the '80s.

I got the missed clues of Acts, Daniel, Lake Lucerne, cleave and Star of Bethlehem.

I got the entire category of Bible books right. 

Pretty good game.

• Like 6

The only movie based on a play with three characters that I could think of was so far off the mark, I'm embarrassed to name it.  (Doubt)  I was sure I'd get an 80s movie right, too!  I feel like I saw all the movies in the 80s!  And I saw the one for FJ, but I don't think I would ever have come up with it.

But at least I got some TS.  Only three, but better than nothing.  They were Lake Lucerne, Murder on the Orient Express, and Star of Bethlehem.

• Like 6

I thought of Godot, too, but that's got four people, doesn't it?  If they would have mentioned the playwright's name, I'd have gotten it. I had no idea the play only had 3 people in it.

In the movie, one of Miss Daisy's friends from The Temple (who has since died) was the mother of the Principal Tuba of the Atlanta Symphony.  She also played the dead guy's mom in the front row of his funeral in The Big Chill.  I met Muriel a few times and she was a lot of fun.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only movie based on a play with three characters that I could think of was so far off the mark, I'm embarrassed to name it.

The only one I could think of was Death and the Maiden, but I couldn't remember the title so I was 'the one with Sigourney Weaver and that guy' but it was a 90s movie, not 80s.

• Like 1

Whew, just in time again -- just over a week had gone by since the last Bible category, so good thing they filled their quota with another. 🙄

Brian made me laugh with "learn something new every day" about marsupium.  I didn't get that one, either.  I know animals with pouches for their babies are marsupials, I just didn't know the pouches are called marsupiums.

I missed three in Bible.  Sadly, that was not my only bad category in the first round; I also missed three in TV.  I ran national and capitals (I love scrambled word categories) and got all but one in the others.

In DJ, I missed three in literary bad days, which was a little better than I expected.  I missed another three in battles, which was right about what I expected.  I ran music and lakes & rivers, and got all but one in the rest.

I continued my "meh" performance by not coming up with FJ, despite '80s movies typically being a really good category for me.  I've seen the film (once, when it came out; I liked the performances, but didn't love the film), but knew nothing of its origin and the triple actor nomination didn't get me anywhere.

• Like 1