Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was worried the woman in the middle would win. If she bet it all, she would have tied Troy's total going into FJ! With David so close, I doubted he would bet $0, but in her spot I would have taken that chance. No risk, no reward. But she was so slow picking I was surprised how much she had going into her DD.

• Like 1

I honestly thought David was going to hyperventilate and pass out.  

During the intro, Ken said Troy was on his way to the ToC if he  won his 5th game today.  Doesn’t winning over $100k give you an automatic in?

• Like 4

I can't believe no one added the -ing to get italicizing after David's wrong answer of italicize.  It's the last clue they uncovered in that category, so they knew how it worked, especially since they'd already gone through the same thing with invincible/invincibility. 

I also cannot believe we've reached the point knowing Dewey is the library classification guy is worth $1200.  Of course, there was never a point at which knowing the pope is the top Catholic should be in DJ, yet there it was.

I was terrible in the Al Pacino category; I only came up with Joe Paterno (I've never seen the film, or even knew there was one made about him, I just guessed the right scandalous coach).  I was pretty bad in wear, too, missing three.  I missed two in stories, but ran the other half of the first round categories.

I performed similarly in DJ; classical was my terrible category there (not remotely surprising), as I only knew seasons, and I missed three in counting.  I ran the vocabulary category, but that was it.  I missed two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaguess I figured had to be right.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Of course, there was never a point at which knowing the pope is the top Catholic should be in DJ, yet there it was.

I haven’t read the book, but I thought a BMS (Which Pope) should have been called for.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is anyone else getting a kind of tinny sound while watching? Not sure if it's just my TV or what...just started noticing it yesterday but didn't notice it while watching Night Court later.

My husband complained about the sound being off Monday and Tuesday. It was only while a certain contestant was speaking— once they cut to someone else, the sound would go back to normal. Or so he said. I didn’t hear it.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I miss Al Franken, so I got the correct response. LOL

I miss Al Franken, too, and kicked myself for missing that one. 

I also missed the Kremlin, although it should have been obvious. They threw me off by calling it a fortress— which it was, I get it, but that’s not the association I make now.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is anyone else getting a kind of tinny sound while watching?

Yes! Ok so it’s not just my device/recording! It was super annoying on yesterdays show and was still there but less so today. Like a metallic echoey sound.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of italicizing, I said italicization, which I’m pretty sure isn’t even a word, but it does have the correct number of dotted letters.

The OED includes it as a derivative form under italicize so I think it counts as a word.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Doesn’t winning over $100k give you an automatic in?

Nope. It's based on (with certain exceptions) 5+ wins, followed by 4 wins (based on winnings), technically 3 wins (based on winnings).

How does a contestant qualify for the Tournament of Champions on Jeopardy?

Jennifer Quail

8-Day Jeopardy Champion, ToC competitorAuthor has 7.9K answers and 26.3M answer views

Automatic qualifiers, with certain caveats*: Everyone who wins five or more regular-play games, the winner of the Teacher’s Tournament, and the winner of the College Tournament. As that usually isn’t enough, after that, producers choose the rest of the field based on number of wins and amount of money won. That means just because you have 4 wins you aren’t guaranteed a spot if there aren’t enough five-game winners. It’s producers discretion. (This is why Emma, with three wins but a high total, could bump a four-day. Neither of them was automatically in.)

• Useful 3
2 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The OED includes it as a derivative form under italicize so I think it counts as a word.

I think its a word but as an answer to the clue it's a bit clunky.

Clue: It's what we're doing to the entire text of the clue, presently

Underlines are mine. Both underlined words want the present tense, not past tense. As... we are italicizing not... we have used italicization, and actually I think you'd really say we used italics or we are using italics (which wouldn't fit the clue either)

• Useful 3

I did really well last night, although I did have 3 incorrect guesses/stumpers which I cannot believe I missed.  I said 1963 instead of 1968 was some stupid reason.  I completely forgot that Al Franken was a Senator and also on SNL even though I watched it back then and am still a fan of his.  And, despite opera being my one guaranteed not to miss category, I somehow managed to think "Parsifal", consider Parsifal as the correct answer and yet still actually say "Lohengrin".  Even though I like Wagner, have seen both operas and am quite familiar with the plot of each.

Otherwise, I ran 3 categories (Garden Variety Stories, 3-Letter Responses and How Do I Get There?) and got all but 1 clue in 6 others (Pacino Played 'Em, Book Of The Year, Classical Is In, The SNL Alumnus Who . . ., Good Luck and We're All Counting On You).  Also got 4 stumpers: turtlenecks, cafe & chafe, Kate McKinnon and opus.

FJ was an instaget.  Russian cities + fortress had to be Kremlin.  It did help tremendously that Nizhny Novgorod hosted some of the World Cup matches in 2018, otherwise I might not have heard of it.

I kinda hoping one of the other contestants would beat Troy.  Not that I dislike him, but most of his games have been runaways and I generally like it better when the games are more competitive.  Still, Troy's pleasant enough, very fast on the buzzer and obviously quite good at trivia so I'm not hating on him.

15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Today's TS: Harem pants, cafe & chafe, Italicizing (see what I did there), and Al Franken

Something about the harem pants clue made me think of pants which were wide-legged at the bottom and I was trying to somehow make palazzo pants fit.

I used to have a pair of harem pants which I actually wore to school and work where people could see.  They were meant to be worn outside and weren't pajama bottoms or anything, but I cringe now to remember.  What part of my obviously malfunctioning brain thought that wearing pants which were extra baggy in the THIGHS! was a good idea?!?!

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I was kinda glad David didn't win, not only did I want Troy to get his 5th win but David was kind of -shouty-.

I did tell him at one point to use his inside voice.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was terrible in the Al Pacino category; I only came up with Joe Paterno (I've never seen the film, or even knew there was one made about him, I just guessed the right scandalous coach). 

That's the one I missed.  I didn't realize Pacino had played him, and honestly, there've been so many coaching-related scandals since then that I completely forgot about Paterno.

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I haven’t read the book, but I thought a BMS (Which Pope) should have been called for.

Yeah, I could see requiring the specific pope, but just "the Pope" seemed way too easy for DJ.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't believe no one added the -ing to get italicizing after David's wrong answer of italicize. 

After the incorrect response I was trying to say italicization. I knew what I meant but could not pronounce it. 

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of italicizing, I said italicization, which I’m pretty sure isn’t even a word, but it does have the correct number of dotted letters.

Italicization is not underlined as incorrect in my phone, so it must be a real word????? 

• Like 1

January 26:

47% / 73% / 61%

J!: Ugh. That's all I have to say about that. Best category was Sax, where I missed one. I didn't completely blow anything, at least. (I kept wanting to do rhymes instead of alliteration, and by the time I corrected my brain it was too late.)

DJ: Decent. Missed two Venomous Creatures and B Movies and one each in the rest.

I got FJ pretty quickly, though. Wasn't sure if it was the name of an island in the Azores, but it sounded like it could be and I was reasonably confident he lost that ship.

My only TS was Moët & Chandon and now I have Killer Queen stuck in my head.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I guessed FJ right.

I got the missed clues of Careless Whsiper, green grasshopper, and catalan.

I got he entire categories of 20th Century America and languages right and this is a bitt embarrrassing, but the entire category of finance wrong.

• LOL 1

My thought process for FJ:  "Hmm, Columbus.  Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria.  Which one sounds like an island?  Santa Maria!"  Total guess, and I did write it down in plenty of time.  

I also got the TS of 52, green grasshopper, and Catalan. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

What's in the bottle!!!  What's in the bottle!!!  

So I would have said the virgin islands for fj.  I know it's wrong but still....

11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had no idea for FJ, but since it said he "lost" something, I, guffawing, said "Virgin Islands."  Sometimes I answer like I'm on Hollywood Squares and do the joke answer.

I imagine Gene Rayburn on match game. 

Blank islands .....

Betty white says?

https://youtu.be/kXo9wAWn-hA

• Like 3

Add me to the list of those who has watched/listened to too many reruns of 1970s The Match Game.
I guessed "something [Columbus] lost off the Haiti coast" was "Innocence."

Yesterday I had no idea for FJ, but now I know that "Kremlin" means "fortress" or, apparently, "citadel."
And I got the TS of turtleneck.

If Troy goes on to be a double-digit game winner, would John be a possible Second Chancer by virtue of having entered FJ with $22,200, having gotten it right, and having come out in second place with $33,300?

• Like 3

Okay, I could just be having some kind of psychological episode, but . . .

A few minutes into tonight's game, I looked at Troy and thought, "Gee, I remember him as being quite a bit taller than he now looks." And I couldn't quite get over that weird cognitive dissonance. But I figured I must be misremembering. And then, at the end, when the camera pans around so you can see a bit behind the podiums (podia?), I saw that he was sitting in a chair. And I don't think anyone else was. I know I'm not imagining this part.

Has anyone heard that he had some sort of medical issue? Or is it me?

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't realize Pacino had played him, and honestly, there've been so many coaching-related scandals since then that I completely forgot about Paterno.

I thought of Paterno but thought that the scandal was so recent I would remember if they had made a movie about it starring Al Pacino. They had and I did not.

12 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Underlines are mine. Both underlined words want the present tense, not past tense. As... we are italicizing not... we have used italicization, and actually I think you'd really say we used italics or we are using italics (which wouldn't fit the clue either)

It's not really about tense. It's whether they need a verb or a noun. Italicization is a noun and could answer the question what. Italicizing is ambiguous in that it could be a verbal form (participle) or a noun (gerund).

I agree it would be unusual to say "We are doing italicization!" But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could accept it for this clue.

I wish when they come up with these mashup style categories like tonight's alliterative one that the mashup had some reason to exist. I don't mind before and after or rhyme time so much because there is an obvious commonality in those cases. But phrases like "transparent tomato" don't spark any joy and I could do without them. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had no idea for FJ, but since it said he "lost" something, I, guffawing, said "Virgin Islands."  Sometimes I answer like I'm on Hollywood Squares and do the joke answer.

Do you answer in Paul Lynde's voice? I thought of him rather than Match Game, although I used to watch it as well as Hollywood Squares.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

A few minutes into tonight's game, I looked at Troy and thought, "Gee, I remember him as being quite a bit taller than he now looks." And I couldn't quite get over that weird cognitive dissonance. But I figured I must be misremembering. And then, at the end, when the camera pans around so you can see a bit behind the podiums (podia?), I saw that he was sitting in a chair. And I don't think anyone else was. I know I'm not imagining this part.

I hadn't noticed but I just pulled it up on youtube and went to the end to see. I looked up the game recap on reddit; there were a few comments asking about it but no explanation that I saw.

• Like 1

I found most of the clues in 12 Letters or More better suited to a first round than DJ.

If not for missing three in ends, I'd have kicked ass in the first round; I ran 20th century, alliteration, and sax, and got all but one in bottle and 925 (I correctly guessed the TS of 52 white piano keys [with 88 total, I figured it had to be the closest number to 44 that would fit the category], but was way off in guessing 25 for the number of theses).

But in DJ, I only ran the vocabulary category.  I got all but one in venomous, but missed three each in movies and lines and two each in finance and languages.

For FJ, I didn't even immediately remember one ship didn't make it back, so I was totally perplexed trying to think of island names that are also the name of something you'd lose (I figured there was no island called His Mind).  Then it hit me, and while I didn't specifically know there's a Santa Maria island, that sounded a lot more likely than a Niña or Pinta island, so I figured it out in time.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I agree it would be unusual to say "We are doing italicization!" But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could accept it for this clue.

Especially since, by the nature of the game, the thought is broken into two parts. 
“We are doing italicization” sounds very clunky.
”What are we doing?” “Italicization” sounds better.

14 hours ago, Glitches said:

Italicization is not underlined as incorrect in my phone, so it must be a real word????? 

Definitely. Siri knows all!

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My thought process for FJ:  "Hmm, Columbus.  Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria.  Which one sounds like an island?  Santa Maria!"  Total guess, and I did write it down in plenty of time.  

Look at us, mind melding! I knew it must be one of the ships, and Santa Maria is the only one that sounds like an island name. Who’s going to plant a flag on something and call it Nina?

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It said in his NYTimes wedding announcement that he has a heart ailment that caused him to move back home for a time as an adult.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 5
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I guessed "something [Columbus] lost off the Haiti coast" was "Innocence."

Yesterday I had no idea for FJ, but now I know that "Kremlin" means "fortress" or, apparently, "citadel."
And I got the TS of turtleneck.

👏 good one.

When they said "a fortress named this" I thought of the fortresses I knew of in Germany and Austria and figured kremlin was the word for fortress.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of 52, green grasshopper, and Catalan. 

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Look at us, mind melding! I knew it must be one of the ships, and Santa Maria is the only one that sounds like an island name. Who’s going to plant a flag on something and call it Nina?

The three of us! First was "what did he lose" (didn't come up with anything funny, just ships), and then Santa Maria was the most likely island name.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Our local Jeopardy showing got cut off today with a press conference.  Who won?  That middle guy was playing great and I'm wondering if he defeated Troy (who I liked very much).

Troy won. He had $24,400 going into FJ. John had $22,200. Troy bet $20,001. John bet $11,100. Both got FJ right.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The venerable US Sun reports that he looks like Joe Incollingo, who played against him on Tuesday.

image.png.f64996fa26f19d83f8381106fac523f6.png

When Joe was introduced, I definitely did a double take. I thought, “Wow, he [Troy]’s multiplying!”

• LOL 7

Here in Western NY where Jeopardy airs on CBS, it will be pre-empted tonight by Golf and air later at 3am.
I will probably look for it on the "Tube of You" before then. 

3 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

To me, he resembles a young Clark Kent (Christopher Reeve).

As a portrait painter, I say you nailed it, @HyeChaps!

image.png.6abb79c2f8e5e51e001be8dd09531cd5.png image.png.9ec04b777f6a93ffc1cdff37ffae5b3c.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Here in Western NY where Jeopardy airs on CBS, it will be pre-empted tonight by Golf and air later at 3am.

Others who see Jeopardy on CBS are advised to check their listings.  My station will air it at the usual time, but on their "other" channel that has mostly sitcom reruns.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Our local Jeopardy showing got cut off today with a press conference.  Who won?  That middle guy was playing great and I'm wondering if he defeated Troy (who I liked very much).

Is this about today's (Friday's) game?

6 minutes ago, Trey said:
4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Is this about today's (Friday's) game?

I thought they meant Friday. They said Today and only 4 hours ago, plus mentioned the guy in the middle, yesterday the other guy was on the end, today the other guy was in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
46 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I thought they meant Friday. They said Today and only 4 hours ago, plus mentioned the guy in the middle, yesterday the other guy was on the end, today the other guy was in the middle.

Yep, and there's still 20 minutes to go until today's game can be discussed.  I never come in here between 4:00 and 7:30 when I finish watching.

• Like 2

January 27:

63% / 50% / 57%

This has definitely not been one of my better weeks. Didn't run anything in either round. Missed one in Soil, Grimm, and Differs by a Vowel, two Senators, and three in Fashion and TV. In DJ I missed one in I"OU" and 2-4 in everything else (the four was in Country Music, in which I am even worse than in current Pop Music). Had no clue for FJ.

My TS were wolf and Firth of Forth (DD).

"It's just a wolf; we don't know anything about his size or ethics." 😂

I'll be honest, I was really not rooting for new champ, so I'm especially sad to see Troy go. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 12

Had to root for my fellow Vermonter.  LOL.

My lucky guess streak for  FJ ended. I had no idea so I tried answering "L'enfant."

I got the missed clues of firth of forth, obect/abject, jumper and 2/3/11/12

I got the entire category of geography right.  Yeah, I was shocked too.

I had a fairly good night.  Came out in the black despite missing Final.  But, only because by my rules I only lose $5K as opposed to 10 if none of the contestants get it right.  I don't care if that's a stupid rule.  My game, my rules.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I had no idea for FJ tonight, ruining the streak I was on this week.  Boo, hiss.

And I only got two TS -- Firth of Forth and abject/object.  

Also boo, hiss that we have a new champ.  I really wanted anyone except Jake to win.  

(One of these days, I'll remember where the new edit feature is and stop quoting myself when I try to edit!)

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Nooooo.  I don't think I can watch that guy again.  The bouncing up and down, rapid-fire delivery, squinty eyes, pounding on the microphone and mostly, that thing he does with his mouth, had me actively rooting against him.

• Like 16
  • Applause 8
16 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Nooooo.  I don't think I can watch that guy again.  The bouncing up and down, rapid-fire delivery, squinty eyes, pounding on the microphone and mostly, that thing he does with his mouth, had me actively rooting against him.

AND the fist-pumping!

• Like 20