Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea so I tried answering "L'enfant."

I tested the sound of L'enfant but it didn't ring any bells (no pun intended: 

) so I figured it was very unlikely to be right.

Nitpicks:

Ken, since La Môme is also French you should have said "this other French title" (emphasis on the other) instead of "this other French title" when reading the clue for Final.

I don't think of a jumper as a sleeveless dress since you wear it over a top with sleeves.

I thought Dee was utterly delightful and I wish she had done better. But it was exciting to see the champion dethroned.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Adding parentheses for clarity
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I thought they meant Friday. They said Today and only 4 hours ago, plus mentioned the guy in the middle, yesterday the other guy was on the end, today the other guy was in the middle.

I just came back to the Forum and saw the question — I meant today (Friday, 1/27).  So sorry to hear that Troy lost and the unpleasant guy in the middle won.  I should have been clearer in my initial question — thank you anyway, Chessiegal.  I found I was so invested in Troy’s game and then the news broke in…. I’m also sorry to read that Troy has a heart issue.  I really enjoyed watching him.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

I just came back to the Forum and saw the question — I meant today (Friday, 1/27).  So sorry to hear that Troy lost and the unpleasant guy in the middle won.  I should have been clearer in my initial question — thank you anyway, Chessiegal.

No one would have been able to answer your question until  7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT to avoid spoilers.

• Like 4

I paid attention to Troy's posture today. It was obvious he wasn't standing. To me, he looked like someone with a painful back. 

Dee was delightful. Jake is certainly quirky. He was excited about winning which is much better than expecting to win like someone I won't name.

• Like 5
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'd hoped Dee would win.  She came back strong there for a little bit in DJ, but then seemed to get beat on the buzzer a lot.

I either had never heard, or did but didn't retain it, that spandex got its name as an anagram of expands.  Let's see if I commit that to memory.

I laughed at Ken saying no, it wasn't the Big Bad Wolf, just a wolf -- "We don't know anything about his size or ethics".  I like a quick wit.

I ran senators, fashion, and soil, and got all but the Firth of Forth missed DD in the vocabulary category.  I missed two each in TV and Grimm, so not my best first round, but not bad at all.

Then I got to DJ.  Just plain awful.  I didn't run anything; the only time I came close was in science, where I got all but Ceres.  I blew nicknames entirely; there were a couple I knew but couldn't get from my brain to my mouth in time, but mostly I just stank.  Same with bets, in which I only came up with the Super Bowl.  I missed three in geography, and two each in "ou" and country music (I only knew the two old songs, and then correctly guessed Tin Man since that was easy from the lyrics).

I capped it off by having no idea for FJ.  I didn't know the nickname referred to Piaf, but that wouldn't have helped me even if I'd known she was the subject of the biopic, as I'd never heard of the film.  So I had no shot at that one.

• Like 2

"There were 2 side shots of the contestants where you could see the chair.

Troy looked tired today."

Troy had probably played all of his games in one day.  Isn't that the way they tape the show - 4-5 games a day?  Maybe after the first two games, he was tired as a result of his health issues.  I was rooting for him to have a full week of wins.  The new champion is going to be a bit much, for me at least. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I paid attention to Troy's posture today. It was obvious he wasn't standing. To me, he looked like someone with a painful back. 

He was sitting; I saw the chair at one point when the camera came around the side a bit. If it has to do with his heart issue I wonder he was getting tired after playing several games back to back. (Or even if it's an unrelated back injury or something like that. I know when my back hurts I get pretty tired by the end of the day.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
44 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Isn't that the way they tape the show - 4-5 games a day? 

Yes, five is the typical shooting schedule.  They reduced it near the end of Alex's run because his health meant he couldn't comfortably keep that pace anymore, but as far as I know they've gone back to the norm.

• Useful 3

At the independent station that airs Jeopardy here, apparently someone in the control booth hit the wrong switch and played the 6:00 newscast of its network sister station instead. Not breaking news, just the regular newscast. So no Jeopardy for me.

I played today’s game on j-archive and did terribly. Sorry to see Troy is gone; I liked him. I also liked when he said “please”. I was already wary of Jake, based on this description on j-archive:

[Jake pumps chest and swings his fist down with gusto as audience applauds]

And then I came here and read the comments. Sounds like he doesn’t come off any better in person.

But, you will be glad to know that Ken’s wolf jokes are just as funny on paper.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Nooooo.  I don't think I can watch that guy again.  The bouncing up and down, rapid-fire delivery, squinty eyes, pounding on the microphone and mostly, that thing he does with his mouth, had me actively rooting against him.

That’s hilarious!  Partner South ranted throughout the show about his mannerisms.  Each time I’d pop around the corner or turn to see, nothing would be going on, or they would head to commercial.  I thought he was fucking with me.  I’ll have to let him know that I now know.

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Can anyone tell me what FJ was? My station cut in for breaking news and the archive sites don't have it  yet.

Category: World Cinema. The 2007 biopic called “La Môme” in France, meaning “The Kid”, was released in the U.S. under this other French title.

Each day's Final Jeopardy information is posted by 12 noon daily at https://thejeopardyfan.com/  

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Here in Western NY where Jeopardy airs on CBS, it will be pre-empted tonight by Golf and air later at 3am.

I don't know if I've ever heard of anything pre-empted by Golf. 😆

I didn't have a stellar game, but I got at least two in every category except the betting one. I don't know anything about betting, and am inordinately proud of having been to Vegas several times and never spent a dime on gambling. I'm just a tightwad who doesn't like to take a risk, I have no moral objections.

I did run Grimm's Fairy Tales. So there's that.

I didn't get FJ. I knew the singer (whose name escaped me) and the song/title (which also escaped me), so I was in the right neighborhood. Just couldn't find the address.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Category: World Cinema. The 2007 biopic called “La Môme” in France, meaning “The Kid”, was released in the U.S. under this other French title.

Each day's Final Jeopardy information is posted by 12 noon daily at https://thejeopardyfan.com/  

The site says the correct response was "La Vie En Rose"-- and I saw that movie! It's about a cross-dressing, possibly trans, kid and his family's and community's response. I saw it in French with subtitles. I don't think it was a biopic, either. So now I am very confused.

• Mind Blown 1
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The site says the correct response was "La Vie En Rose"-- and I saw that movie! It's about a cross-dressing, possibly trans, kid and his family's and community's response. I saw it in French with subtitles. I don't think it was a biopic, either. So now I am very confused.

The 2007 movie La Vie En Rose starring Marion Cotillard was a biopic about Edith Piaf. You may be thinking of Ma Vie en Rose from 1997?

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't think of a jumper as a sleeveless dress since you wear it over a top with sleeves.

Agreed.  Not to mention, I think in England a jumper is a sweater?  I thought a sleeveless dress was a 'shift.'

• Like 10
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3

That was a very exciting game! I did enjoy Troy's run and would have liked it if Dee had won but Jake certainly earned his win.

I had no clue at all for FJ.  I watch very few movies and don't think I've ever heard of this one.  Although, if they had given the name of the movie, I would have known it was about Edith Piaf.

Jake is a regular poster on JBoard and put up a very nice post last night which made him sound like a very likeable person. 

I know I'm a little late with this, but I thought Troy looked like k.d. lang, in her early years.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Agreed.  Not to mention, I think in England a jumper is a sweater?  I thought a sleeveless dress was a 'shift.'

It is a sweater in the UK not just England so you are 25% correct. 🙂

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 3
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Jake is a regular poster on JBoard and put up a very nice post last night which made him sound like a very likeable person. 

He certainly didn't come across that way on the show, at least not to me.  In fact, his antics almost had me missing Yogesh...

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

That is exactly what I was thinking!

A shift is just a dress, a jumper (American) is a dress that you wear over a shirt/blouse. I had a favorite one in 7/8th grade (late 60s) it was gold and the shirt that went under it was brown with little gold flowers on it. It was my favorite outfit until I grew out of it. I remember I wore it on our class (entire grade) field trip to Springfield IL.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

I just watched this show which was broadcast here at 3 AM to accommodate golf. Jake is….a lot. I had a very difficult time understanding his speech which rocketed out of his mouth like it was shot from a cannon. And I’m a fast talker from NJ. His chest thumps and apparent praising of God (or the catwalk) were pretty offputting. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I had a favorite one in 7/8th grade (late 60s) it was gold and the shirt that went under it was brown with little gold flowers on it. It was my favorite outfit until I grew out of it.

I think mine was brown corduroy and the shirt was gold with brown flecks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I just watched this show which was broadcast here at 3 AM to accommodate golf. Jake is….a lot. I had a very difficult time understanding his speech which rocketed out of his mouth like it was shot from a cannon. And I’m a fast talker from NJ. His chest thumps and apparent praising of God (or the catwalk) were pretty offputting. 

Though I didn't react particularly positively to Jake's physicality, my biggest thought was "wow, Jeopardy is a work out for him!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 1/27/2023 at 10:35 PM, laredhead said:

"There were 2 side shots of the contestants where you could see the chair.

Troy looked tired today."

Troy had probably played all of his games in one day.  Isn't that the way they tape the show - 4-5 games a day?  Maybe after the first two games, he was tired as a result of his health issues.  I was rooting for him to have a full week of wins.  The new champion is going to be a bit much, for me at least. 

I didn't hate the new champ but I do hope he's a one and done. He would definitely get annoying very quickly. 

I got FJ right away. It's the only movie I could think of which fit the clue as far as having a French title. 

• Like 4
On 1/28/2023 at 1:45 PM, Trey said:

I know I'm a little late with this, but I thought Troy looked like k.d. lang, in her early years.

I'm a little late, too, but I think Troy looked like Crispin Glover, as George McFly in Back to the Future.

2A64814100000578-3155557-image-m-39_1436

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

January 30:

50% / 77% / 64%

J!: Oy. I didn't even get anything right until 7 clues in. Missed one in Nursery Rhymes; two in Geology, TV Channels, and Double Vowel; and four in Ontario and 4,4.

DJ: Much better…Ran Scary Movies (of all things…I am not a scary movie fan); missed one in Exploration, Saints, and Words that should Rhyme; and two in Mushrooms and Book Tour.

FJ: I got it but only once I saw Sarah's "pass"…does that count?

TS: Pussy Cat went to see the Queen, Georgie Porgie ran away, spores, Elm Street, and Nosferatu (DD).

Darn, I was rooting for Sam. He's a cutie.

• Like 8

FJ: I got nothing.

I got the missed clues of E, queen, ran away, Manitoba, toadstool, spores, and Nosferatu.

Impressive list of missed clues aside, I really didn't have a good night.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, proserpina65 said:

I didn't hate the new champ but I do hope he's a one and done. He would definitely get annoying very quickly. 

Quoting myself to note that Jake has already reached maximum annoyance level and can go home any second now.

16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ: I got nothing.

I got the missed clues of E, queen, ran away, Manitoba, toadstool, spores, and Nosferatu.

Impressive list of missed clues aside, I really didn't have a good night.

Pretty much the same for me, except that I didn't get E.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Quoting myself to note that Jake has already reached maximum annoyance level and can go home any second now.

We aren’t watching because my husband, who is normally quite tolerant about contestants’ quirks, refuses to watch Jake ever again.  I now want to take back every comment I made about rowan being very OTT in the last TOC because Jake makes them look like the quietest most subdued player ever.

• Like 8
9 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Jake doesn’t annoy me as long as I don’t have to look at his facial contortions.  The grimacing, lip pursing, writhing, is annoying beyond belief.

I wasn't too bothered only because I wasn't looking at the screen much between clue readings, I'd look up when I heard one of the others' names.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Jake doesn’t annoy me as long as I don’t have to look at his facial contortions.  The grimacing, lip pursing, writhing, is annoying beyond belief.

My initial impression, with no particular experience to back it up, is that he is “on the spectrum” (I hope that’s the correct way to phrase it). I’m a little surprised he’s not getting a little more benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Just read this today about Jake. I found it interesting (comments about quiz, trivia experts, etc).  So, I watched him tonight for the first time. He's dorky but he's ok. He's a bit much with the expressions, gestures. But I'm so thankful he doesn't add please to his clue requests!

https://www.tvinsider.com/1079267/jeopardy-jake-dearruda-ken-jennings-mayim-bialik-troy-meyer/#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16751205373488&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvinsider.com%2F1079267%2Fjeopardy-jake-dearruda-ken-jennings-mayim-bialik-troy-meyer%2F

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

My initial impression, with no particular experience to back it up, is that he is “on the spectrum” (I hope that’s the correct way to phrase it). I’m a little surprised he’s not getting a little more benefit of the doubt. 

He may be. There have been a number of folks, possibly on the spectrum, on Jeopardy but it shouldn't be a surprise.  They're highly intelligent, & the people I know who are on the spectrum say this incredible knowledge is right up their alley. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1