Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I object to accepting Ho Chi Minh City for Saigon.  I know there's general precedence, I just object to it every time -- when a clue so specifically references that a city which later changed its name was at the time of the clue's events known as X, you should have to say X.

I guess sometimes it depends on the specific wording of the clue, but in this case I agree with you...

"After a rapid offensive, this capital was captured April 30, 1975, leading to a name change."

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

but Addison came to me just a hair too late)

I got that one just before Ken said it. Jake said Crohn and I said, "no that's a digestive system thing," then Liz said Hashimoto and I was like, "no, that's thyroid" (I went through some stuff recently to rule out a thyroid issue so I spent way too much time googling thyroid diseases in the eight+ weeks I had to wait to see the endocrinologist), then "it's the one that Kennedy had...what is it..?!" and it came to me in the last second.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

We tag-teamed FJ here. I got Nevada, but in the process of mentally working my way around its borders and counting letters, I ran out of time before I got to Oregon. Meanwhile, Mr. Helens landed on Oregon but never made it to Nevada. We still high-fived for the win.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

At the risk of having rotten tomatoes thrown at me, Jake is growing on me. 

My thoughts exactly. I was actually about to write this same thing, tomatoes and all. I don’t know why, but what seemed distracting and bothersome yesterday was almost endearing today. I guess I just can’t resist a happy player.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Ugh, Jake is insufferable to watch. He reminds me of a douchey frat-bro with his fist pumps and gestures. I have always been someone who would never not watch because of a contestant but after he did that fist bump pop thing after getting the first DD I was this close to actually turning off the TV. The only way to make the show bearable is to look away when he is onscreen.

For FJ I said “Oregon and… Idahoe?” 😆

• Like 12
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The Hootin Annies...I googled and found this all-female group on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063464623417&sk=about_details

I also found another facebook page for a group by the same name that appears to be three guys from Ireland.

Thanks! That link helped me find their YouTube page. I like them! And no, Ken, they aren't senior citizens. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGTk84knqoWWMcGBsUhoSA

• Thanks 1

I feel like Jake is part of an SNL skit when he finds a daily double and they pan back to him and he’s already leaning all over the podium. I keep expecting him to be sitting ON the podium at some point like The Thinker.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guess sometimes it depends on the specific wording of the clue, but in this case I agree with you...

"After a rapid offensive, this capital was captured April 30, 1975, leading to a name change."

I don't understand what you and bastet think the answer should have been. Saigon, since it changed from Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City?

For FJ, I came up with Oregon and Wyoming. For some reason, I forgot that the two didn't border one another. And miscounted the letters in Wyoming!

Edited by zoey1996
42 minutes ago, clubsauce said:

I feel like Jake is part of an SNL skit when he finds a daily double and they pan back to him and he’s already leaning all over the podium. I keep expecting him to be sitting ON the podium at some point like The Thinker.

Or like Mango. Yes, it really does feel like an SNL skit with his OTT mannerisms. I just had a fun vision: Jake, Yogesh & Mattea playing a game of Extreme Jeopardy! with Mayim as host.

• Mind Blown 6
  • LOL 18

I have no problem with authenticity, or even exuberance.  I just think that as with most things there is appropriate behavior for difference circumstances.  The way I speak and act when watching sports at home is not the way I would act and speak in a sports bar, at someone else's home, or even in the sports venue. 

We all have actions, etc. that we control when we are in different environments.

Needless to say I am "not connecting" to the new champ, but he is obviously good at the game and is earning his wins.   Best of luck to him 

I just wonder what has changed with Jeopardy? We went years without all these "quirks" and exaggerated actions. Did there used to be a rule that prevented this?  Surely people in the past also  had personalities?  A training that was given before taping?   This one may make me rethink Austin.....

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The couldn't come up with "Dive into life" as a likely candidate for a swimwear company?

I said "jump" Not much of a diver, myself. But I'm kind of proud I didn't do well in this category - means their advertising hasn't worked on me. 😉

14 hours ago, SHD said:

I said Nevada and Arizona, because apparently I’ve forgotten how to count. 

I was doing some rapid counting on my fingers. Fingers, the original manipulatives.

14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I got FJ right away, but I live in Nevada and am driving to Oregon this weekend.😁

I live in Oregon, but have never driven to Nevada through Oregon, only CA. And apparently have ignored our borders on any and all maps.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do you remember the name of the band?  was startled when Ken referred tothem as senior citizens-- didn't he say it was his mom? I'd like to check them out. Him saying being surrounded by them made him feel warm and safe was really endearing.

I said "awww" and immediately liked him. Sadly, he did not win.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I astonished myself by getting FJ right tonight.  I did count letters, but I honestly couldn't remember if those two states shared a border.  I thought about Kansas, but none of its neighbors has six letters, so I stuck with Oregon and Nevada.  Hand me another asterisk, please!

As a proxy for @saber5055, I hereby hand you an asterisk.

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't understand what you and bastet think the answer should have been. Saigon, since it changed from Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City?

Based on the wording of the clue, yes, Saigon should have been the answer, because "this capital....leading to a name change" (the name change would have been to Ho Chi Minh City.)

I had a mediocre game, didn't do as well in SciFi, Historical Fiction, or They wrote the movies as I expected to. Oh well, maybe the next game will be better.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't look at the screen a ton, especially when I'm keeping score, so I'm missing most of his quirks. (Part of the reason Mattea bugged me so much is because a lot of it was verbal with her. If it was just the flappy hands I wouldn't have noticed nearly as much.)

I tried not looking which helped some, but not enough.

15 hours ago, SHD said:

I said Nevada and Arizona, because apparently I’ve forgotten how to count. 

I started with Kansas but couldn't come up with a state touching it with the correct number of letters.  Then I got Oregon and tried to make Idaho six letters - Eydaho, maybe?  Never got to Nevada, but I didn't know it and Oregon touched anyway.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I liked Soren and was rooting for him.  Alas.

Me too.  I admired his hair.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I object to accepting Ho Chi Minh City for Saigon.  I know there's general precedent, but I object to it every time.  I don't remember if specifically for these two cities, but with other changed-name cities in clues like this one -- when a clue so specifically references that a city which later changed its name was at the time of the clue's events known as X, you should have to say X.

I'm with you on that one.  Ho Chi Minh City is not the capital of anything.  Saigon was the capital of South Vietnam, which no longer exists.  The clue does say "this capital" which means Ho Chi Minh City was not a correct answer.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

To my complete lack of surprise, I was terrible in sci-fi;

I fully expected to run that category - I'm more into fantasy but have read a good bit of sci fi as well - but I've never heard of The Forever War so I missed that clue.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It should've been Saigon because it fit the clue ("this capital") and Ho Chi Minh City did not.

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

This one may make me rethink Austin.....

I was just thinking I'd even take Austin back to get rid of Jake, and I loathed Austin.

I think more than anything else, it's the laying across the podium thing which makes Jake insufferable to me.  Maybe there's a medical reason for it, but combine that with his other behavior and I'm outta there tv-wise until he's gone.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

He reminds me of a douchey frat-bro with his fist pumps and gestures.

Please...I was a frat bro, and we were nowhere near this bad.

As much as I may whine and complain about someone, I'll never not watch, because I watch for the trivia, not the contestants (or the host, when that was a thing).  But man, I'm gonna be whining and complaining a bunch until this champion's run is over.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

I just want to know if Saigon would have been accepted.

I was once told I am an uncanny good judge of character. True of not, it is easier to evaluating Jeopardy! contestants when I am watching on my son-in-law's old 54" TV.
Anyhoo, I think it was Jake's second game on Jeopardy! when the middle person pulled a valuable correct response out of their brain, and the camera pulled back to show Jake facing that middle person, grinning broadly, and clapping enthusiastically. So I have an affection for Jake. I'm not inviting him over for tea, but if he came to the door, I would welcome him and forgive his tics while being as kind and generous to him as possible.

But I'd really like to hear anything Soren has to say.

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have very few memories from when I was young enough for nursery rhymes.  And since I'm quite deliberately not around children, I have no recent exposure.  I recognized almost all of them as things I knew existed, but only knew the correct response on the $200 Miss Muffet.  I could have told you things like "Mary, quite contrary" or "Baa, baa, black sheep, have you any wool?" but not a deeper dive like the clues required.

Makes sense. For opposite reasons I ran the nursery rhymes. We really would make an unbeatable team, @Bastet, if they ever have a virtual Jeopardy! teams contest. 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I live in Oregon, but have never driven to Nevada through Oregon, only CA. And apparently have ignored our borders on any and all maps.

My globe-trotting (even as I type) oldest daughter lives and works in Oregon, but she always comes to me on her way east, so I haven't been to Oregon since we lived an hour south of the border in the 80s and 90s.
But I blame only getting the Oregon "half" of FJ on my letting myself get psyched out by the Think Music and actually wasting precious time telling myself "I'll never get it in time" in between counting letters in state names.

Maybe I'll try setting a timer for 30 seconds during the last commercial and then read the clue on J! Archive, just to see if it makes a difference.
But it might just be the 30 second deadline distracting me from counting state name letters etc.
So maybe instead I should try reading the clue and then starting the Stopwatch and just see if it's within 30 seconds if and when I get the correct response.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks for your kind words about Jake. He's a decent young man. He's just a bit much

Just wanted to clarify that I don't think Jake is a bad person.  I almost never think that way about contestants.  (Yogesh, yes, I'm thinking of you.)  For me he's just so annoying that I actually can't watch.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just want to know if Saigon would have been accepted.

I have no doubt that Saigon would not only have been accepted, but also think that it was the preferred response based on Ken's ever-so-slight hesitation when Jake said Ho Chi Minh City. The wording of the clue had me immediately blurting out "Saigon." Those of us who are old enough to remember the images of people hanging off the choppers leaving the rooftop of the American Embassy trying to escape, know that it was Saigon that fell, not HCMC. I don't have a major issue with HCMC being accepted as a response as that is the name most people would recognize for that city, as it has been its name for almost 50 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I can’t with Jake any more.  I recorded the game but deleted it after the first round.  I want to punch him.

Shoulda stayed with it. You’d have been happy.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I can’t with Jake any more.  I recorded the game but deleted it after the first round.  I want to punch him.

If you'd have stuck around to the end, you'd have seen him lose!

Today's TS: Breakout star & Emerald City. As to FJ: I figured it was a Jane Austen book, but didn't know which one. I should have remembered "(with regards to JA) When in doubt, go with Pride & Prejudice"!

• Like 6

I read Pride and Prejudice but I'm not particularly good at remembering names of things in books.  I said Death Comes for the Archbishop.

I got the missed clues of Emerald City and breakout.

I got the entire category of lit gems right.

I actually did fairly well. In addition to running one, there were 6 categories where I only missed on clue each.

• Like 3

Yay Patti, I like her.  And good for Jake, for applauding her.

Did anyone catch the name of the medical comedy show that Aaron mentioned, and how we might be able to hear it?

Edited by Driad
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

Yay Patti, I like her.  And good for Jake, for applauding her.

Did anyone catch the name of the medical comedy show that Aaron mentioned, and how we might be able to hear it?

Doctors Without Boundaries. A takeoff on "Doctors Without Borders".

I was sorry Jake didn't last longer--though the haters will be happy--but good for Patti. When she was introduced, I thought she was the sort of sweet old lady the younger contestants usually run roughshod over. I'm glad I was wrong.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I read Pride and Prejudice but I'm not particularly good at remembering names of things in books.  I said Death Comes for the Archbishop. 

I did the same thing. Read P&P relatively recently, too (maybe last year?).

February 1:

83% / 47% / 65%

J!: Got home just in time to catch Jake's intro and had to put away groceries so I didn't get my scorecard set up until the first commercial. Went to the archive to fill in what I missed during the second commercial break, and did pretty well! Ran Hodgepodge and Literary Gems, missed two Inventors/Inventions, and one each in Iraq, "Break" and Billiards.

DJ: And back to terrible in DJ…ran Mountains but missed two in Z Category, three in Pardon Me and TV Characters, and four in Greek Deities and Overlaps.

FJ: Nope. Darnit.

TS: Emerald City, breakout star

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
57 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

J!: Got home just in time to catch Jake's intro and had to put away groceries so I didn't get my scorecard set up until the first commercial.

Jeapardy fans create scorecards? How do you do this?

Why did Ken describe a category as "eye rack"...but later on pronounce the name correctly? I noticed Jake did the same thing.

30 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know about other fans but I just made a little grid up in excel. I grab the categories from the archive before the game, and mark a 1 if I'm right and 0 if I'm wrong, and it calculates my percentage correct for me. (I just clear it out after I post here.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe there's a medical reason for it, but combine that with his other behavior and I'm outta there tv-wise until he's gone.

Welcome back. 

I first rolled my eyes at Patti's purple hair, but darned if I didn't get sucked in when she went big on the DD and got it right.  Maybe it's just relief that Jake is gone but I really enjoyed her.

I knew Pemberley was either Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility because although I can't read Jane Austen, I will watch either of those two movies any time they come on.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

I love everything about Patti's win -- she's an older woman, she has purple sideburns, she marched for school funding, and she reminds me so very much of the woman who was like a second mom to me almost my whole life and died a year and a half ago it's uncanny (I even got a little teary looking at her during the interview, and when she won - and was so pleasantly blown away - I was irrationally thrilled).

I hate with a passion when Americans mispronounce Iraq as "I rack", so I did not appreciate their little billiards pun with the category titles.

The breakout TS surprised me.

I ran billiards, break, and hodgepodge and got all but one the rest of the first round categories (I might have run inventions if I'd known what a paper nautilus is, as I think that would have led me to correctly guess aquarium, but since I didn't, I was as stumped as the contestants by that one).

To the surprise of no one, I was terrible in the deities category; I only knew Persephone (and only because I looked up her story when a friend named her cat that).  I missed three in TV, but that category could easily have been a disaster as I've never watched any of the shows; thankfully, I managed to pick up via cultural osmosis that Grey's = Meredith and Mad Men = Peggy.  I missed two in pardons (should have been one, as I knew Michael Milken, but I couldn't get his name from my brain to my mouth in time).  I ran the other half of the DJ categories -- but would have missed two in mountains if not for the contestants' wrong answers narrowing things down for me while I was trying to decide on my guesses. 

I had no idea on FJ, though; I've never read the book (or seen the film), so the name didn't mean anything to me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why did Ken describe a category as "eye rack"...but later on pronounce the name correctly? I noticed Jake did the same thing.

I think Ken said “ I rack” because the next category was  “You Break”. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Same here, simply because the similarity of title brought it quickly to mind and I couldn’t think of anything else. I’ve never read Pride and Prejudice (with or without zombies).

Got Emerald City and breakout. “Breakdance” made me laugh.

Very unpopular opinion, I know, but I was growing quite fond of Jake and I’m sorry he’s gone. Quirks aside, he seemed genuinely upbeat and happy just to be there, not conceited at all (a nice contrast to Yogesh), and he was unsurprisingly gracious in defeat.

That said, I am also very happy for Patti. I liked her from the start, but her big DD wager won me over. Love a woman who comes to play, especially one who most would not consider a threat. I’m hoping she repeats tomorrow.

• Like 15
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3

Not sad at all to say bye to Jake and I was really delighted that Patti won. 

This time, I did get FJ  immediately — knew Pemberley is Mr. Darcy’s place and I’ve read / seen the iterations of P&P so that came in handy.

• Like 5

Someone please confirm to me that Jake was not there long enough to be in the TOC?   PLEASE???!! I can just see them finding some way to bring him back just because he got attention.  Somehow the episode where he became champion did not record for me.  I was so mad about it, until I watched him and realized that I'd been spared one day......

I loved everything about tonight's win!  Although I was confused about how challenging everyone found the "break" category?  Actually, there were quite a few tonight that I wondered why no one was ringing in. 

You can be upbeat, happy, etc. without being insufferable. 

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 2

Yah, Patti, using Jane Austen as the weapon to defeat the champion!

I will say Jake seemed to be really nice to his fellow competitors at commercial breaks.  He turned towards Patti with a big smile and started chatting with her.  Of course, that could have been his plan to dominate the competition.  ;)  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 5

That was such a fun win.  A personable contestant + she (almost) bet it all, baby!  +unexpected win = me and mr film noire spontaneously applauding.

Go, Patti, Go!

Edited by film noire
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Sokarys said:

I've always wondered this too! Please enlighten us!

I'll see if I can find a way to share it when I get home tonight. Maybe I can put it in a google doc and post the link?

• Thanks 3

For all the annoyances, I have to say that Jake seemed a good sport, always applauding other contestants when they'd get DDs correct (even if it threatened his lead), lost with grace, etc. But I am happy to have a new champ. I don't expect she'll have a long run, but I've been wrong about that kind of thing before!

• Like 11
  • Applause 2

I stand by my original gut feeling that Jake might be on the spectrum, which was reinforced after watching his interview segments. He was quite gracious in defeat, seemed to be polite to his fellow contestants, and I'm sure that getting to be on Jeopardy! and winning 3 games was a really big life event for him.  I feel bad that he and his family had to see the nasty comments about him.  Twitter was especially vicious.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 10
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Scott said:

Our long national nightmare yadda yadda...

Well, three days long, anyway. As national nightmares go, pretty short! LOL

Edited by SHD
  • LOL 4
15 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I feel bad that he and his family had to see the nasty comments about him.  Twitter was especially vicious.

We all have our preferences and tastes in contestants, but there is never a need to be nasty or hurtful like that. I hope that doesn’t take away any of his joy. 
   I got Emerald City, breakout and should have known FJ, but didn’t. I am happy for Patti and thought she played a smart and gutsy game. 

• Like 11

After a miserable game last time, I had a pretty game this time. Still no FJ though 😥

I ran Literary Gems - and forgot the category so it wasn't until the next to the last clue that I realized all the answers had jewels in them. SMH

Almost ran Hodgepodge. After I answered Legoland, it tickled me so much that had a giggle fit and we had to pause the recording.

I almost ran Z, but Zdonk threw me. Surely they could come up with something better - Zekey? LOL.

I was glad Patti won - we oldsters like to stick together. But it didn't take me long to get accustomed to Jake. I hesitate to diagnose anyone over edited footage in which we see just a portion of it. Especially since people's "game face" can be very different from their normal behavior. And he seemed very nice in general. I can certainly understand not enjoying his behavior, though.

• Like 5
  • Love 1