Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

48 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Yes, but you went to Junior High with them, and probably saw them quite often doing committee work. Yogesh & James went to different high schools. He saw him twice, for maybe an hour each time, and may not (probably did not) have even spoken to him. Do you remember any random stranger you met 20 years ago?

He wasn't a random stranger, but a competitor. Yogesh would likely have known about James and his high school's team during the time he was competing and savored his victory over James' team.  Just like old men relive old football games against their competing high schools.

I see nothing strange about remembering a highlight in his life, especially since the person he beat became famous.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think that it's very common to remember people who you competed against. They were on opposing teams and would likely know each other from repeated competitions. It doesn't strike me as unusual at all. 

I don’t recall any of the team members from other schools against which I competed in debate tourneys in high school 50+ years ago, but I probably would if one had become governor, senator, or something similar. I do remember a fellow oboist against whom I competed at state contests, for first chair at band camp, etc.

My guess would be what @Browncoatsaid, that Yogesh looked up James and made the connection.

• Like 2

I knew he answer wasn't cars, so I said television which I was also prety sure wasn't the answer.

I got the missed clue of Indiana.

I got he entire categories of dog tales, royal history and letter of the law right and the entire category of singers wrong.

• Like 2

January 16:

70% / 73% / 72%

J!: Not bad, considering I completely tanked the baseball category. Ran Colors of Sciene and missed one in everything else.

DJ: Better…missed three singers and one in everything else.

FJ: A wild guess (well, not so wild, I guess) but I got it!!

TS: My only one was a sad state of affairs.

• Like 3

I still haven't decided whether to watch tonight's NFL playoff game (in which I'd rather pull out my toenails than root for either team), so, in case I do, I just checked the archive for this episode.

I loved the clichés rephrased category!

I almost ran the entire first round, but I couldn't remember the "Travels With" dog name or come up with Dungeons & Dragons (it was so obvious once revealed).

In DJ, I ran law, small town, and tattoos, and got all but one in A.  But I missed three each in the others, which was not at all surprising since I'm terrible at royal history and wildly hit and miss with pop culture.

For FJ, I initially said "cars" in a very duh tone, but then right before I hovered to confirm, I thought, No, wait, they came earlier than that.  I couldn't for the life of me think of what else it could be at that price, so gave up.  Again just before uncovering the answer, I paused, as it finally occurred to me -- the model T, specifically.  But that took far more time than the Think music would have allotted, so I don't get credit for it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Goodbye Yogesh, but I like the new champ better anyway.

I was so close in FJ - waffled between Model T and Model A and went with the wrong one.

The Treasury Bond answer surprised me especially when two of them said it. I guess they were thinking of something that earned money to be worth $27,000 now, instead of something that was worth the 1908 equivalent of $27,000.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

Rats.  I also said the non-specific "cars" for FJ, although I was thinking of Ford and the Model T when I said it.  

And I didn't get any TS, either.  

So much for feeling so smart after Celebrity Jeopardy!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 2
32 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Too bad yogesh is gone. No more stories about how great and famous he is back to his podcast I've never heard of.  

Even Jeopardy superchamps are recognizing him now.  From his podcast??  I was expecting tomorrow's story to be about how Alex Trebek himself reached out to beg Yogesh to be on the show.

• LOL 15
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yesssss!!! Katie made a very wise, cautious wager. That was a good game. I don't know why they didn't hear me bellowing "Indiana!". Maybe all three are too young to know much about John Cougar Mellencamp. 

I'm so happy for Katie she seemed shocked that she won. I thought Yogesh was smug. I knew Indiana.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Ahhh...

Too bad yogesh is gone. No more stories about how great and famous he is back to his podcast I've never heard of.  

I got model.T

Was going to say Ahhhhh, myself!!!

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is it me reading things into it, or did Yogesh seem a bit ungracious when he lost?

No, he looked sullen

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
41 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No he did not. Also did not say a thing to her. 

The way I was brought up that’s poor sportsmanship. 

I got Indiana and the Model T. It came to me so fast I was sure it was wrong. 

• Like 10

I actually ran a category (LETTERS OF THE LAW) and pulled FJ out at the last second of Think music, which is very good for me.

Yogesh is quirky.  
I’m glad he amassed a sizable amount for a short run.

New champ seems likable, which isn’t a requirement to win, but is a bonus for us viewers.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

The way I was brought up that’s poor sportsmanship. 

Just because they didn't air it doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are a lot of things going on in the moment and the contestants are not right next to each other. I saw Yogesh look toward Katie while she was reacting emotionally to her win and not looking in his direction. Then we get a shot of just Ken addressing the viewing audience before we get the wide shot of him talking to the contestants and Katie responding. If I were there I can imagine preferring to wait until I know Katie can give me her attention rather than distract her from what Ken and production might be trying to do. 

17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I usually never listen to the interviews but I recently started doing this. Glad I heard Jimmy's story of taking on some criminals in ?Prague?  I bet they thought they were taking on a bunch of starry-eyed American tourists.  

Ha -- for some reason I disliked that story so much it turned me against him. I was so confused about why a pickpocket would put a stolen wallet on top of his map, and about what his mother thought she was doing.

Very pleased for Katie. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Rats.  I also said the non-specific "cars" for FJ, although I was thinking of Ford and the Model T when I said it.  

The wording of the clue had me wondering how specific to be. I got to "personal automobile" and then "Ford" (based on dim recollections of Brave New World in high school!) but didn't make it all the way to Model T.

• Like 3

I guessed “cars” for FJ, then felt robbed. (I know, I know, but so close!)

I got all the dog books, the full law category, and the TS of John Mellencamp’s home state.

In the interview segment, I was hoping Ken would ask Middle Guy what it was like to tour with the Bee Gees. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 14

I said Model T immediately though I wasn’t sure that was actually right it seemed like a reasonable guess. I was pretty surprised no one got it. Not really sure why two of them went to Govt bonds…

Congrats to Katie!

• Like 7

If Yogesh had not bet any $$ in FJ, he would have won again.  At least that was what I think my math showed when I ran it.  If Yogesh had lasted 2 more games wouldn't that have qualified him for a possible return later?  He did not look happy, but he seems to be a serious person and hardly smiled during his 3 days as champion.

Edited by laredhead
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Ha -- for some reason I disliked that story so much it turned me against him. I was so confused about why a pickpocket would put a stolen wallet on top of his map, and about what his mother thought she was doing.

He lost me at "my mom had her hands down his pants" 😆 (did I hear that right?)

• Like 6
  • LOL 6
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No he did not. Also did not say a thing to her. 

He also posted a long Facebook rant attacking, among other things, the 'oneeclecticmom' account that posts about what contestants and hosts are wearing. Bear in mind, she never says anything derogatory - she keeps her comments positive, she just talks about what they are wearing and how she likes it. And he attacked her for some weird presumed attack on him.

So glad he is gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Applause 3
7 hours ago, laredhead said:

If Yogesh had not bet any $$ in FJ, he would have won again.  At least that was what I think my math showed when I ran it.  If Yogesh had lasted 2 more games wouldn't that have qualified him for a possible return later?  He did not look happy, but he seems to be a serious person and hardly smiled during his 3 days as champion.

You are right, butt he couldn't have known that.  Neither of their wagers were what you would expect.  Usually when the top 2 are within $2K of each other they both bet it all.  His wager was intended for possibly both of them to get it wrong and Jimmy getting it right, making him the champ by $1.

• Useful 2

My god...I just read his Facebook page and could not hate him more. 

I was actually being far too kind to him in my comments. 

He compares jeopardy in terms of quiz shows to what holey moley is to golf? Goes on a rant about about how great he is in the 'quiz' community and basically tells people jeopardy doesn't mean anything.   Then goes on a rant about racism and sexism in the 'quizzng'  community and how jeopardy being so highly regarded contributes to that problem. 

Then in another post he goes on a rant about how he really did congratulate the winner last night its jeopardys fault for editing ot out. 

So glad he is gone. He has serious issues that go beyond jeopardy. 

Worst.  Champion.  Ever....

Edited to add if you want to read just one of his sour grapes rants here it is.  There are others as well where he says the jeopardy boards are full of white supremacists and basically states anyone criticizing him is racist. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0HxdbEyoy8v5s2K4NPw3DBCmMMSbz4u8tJj8VmSuP1SRZae3ZxYdweKVcLrLQvQJWl&id=203232&mibextid=Nif5oz

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 17
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

He also posted a long Facebook rant attacking, among other things, the 'oneeclecticmom' account that posts about what contestants and hosts are wearing. Bear in mind, she never says anything derogatory - she keeps her comments positive, she just talks about what they are wearing and how she likes it. And he attacked her for some weird presumed attack on him.

So glad he is gone.

Me  too!!!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

"my mom had her hands down his pants" 😆 (did I hear that right?)

That's what I heard too! All I could think is that he meant to say "dad" (dad getting his wallet from his pocket), which is why he made the "that guy has my dad's wallet" connection.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

There's a clip on facebook of Katie explaining that her winnings means she's out of college debt now. Aside from the fact that she doesn't get her money immediately, and she won't get as much as she won (taxes taken out), that is great news for her. I paid attention, and both Yogesh and Jimmy applauded her in the clip.

I don't see the arrogance in Yogesh that others do, nor does he seem "ungracious" to me. YMMV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I read the FB post linked above, and I don't have the same takeaway as you, DrSpaceman73.

I think he's a little defensive because people are piling on him (I read a string of hate on twitter) and maybe he's not keeping his mouth shut about that, and hiding like most people do when that happens.

But I don't see him saying anyone who criticizes him is racist. What he says is that there is a problem with racism and sexism in the quizzing community, which I have no experience with but have no problem believing because those problems exist in all kinds of places they shouldn't. 

He also says that the way to eliminate it is to create structures based solely on merit, without variables related to other factors (like chance or entertainment elements). I think that's a reasonable thing to suppose, though I haven't examined it closely.

He's clearly proud of his wins in non-Jeopardy quiz formats, and I'm not offended by that. Lots of champs brag about their wins. Look at athletes, or actors, who put their awards in their bios and go around saying "We're the best!" about their teams. 

I am going to take it as true that he congratulated off camera, and as a woman who gets tired of being tone policed or told to smile if I'm not chirpy and glad-handing everybody at every moment, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's got a case of resting bitch face or some other personality trait that just makes him very serious and not comfortable with the spotlight outside his zone of concentration.

He might be a jerk, but when I read through his actual comments, I don't see the evidence in his behavior on camera or his comments that I've seen.

He does say Jeopardy isn't the pinnacle of quizzing, more accurate a venue than all others at assessing prowess, because it's designed for TV rather than pure knowledge, and has elements of chance. That wasn't the most gracious thing to say, it's where I thought he was being defensive, but it's not a war crime to say it, either.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

He can be proud of his non jeopardy wins. 

But he basically craps all over jeopardy as meaningless and says everything else is more important in the quiz community whatever that is. Ok fine then dont go on the show. Dont go on it then shit all over it when you don't get as many wins as the people you are saying you have beat before. 

And racism he just brings out of nowhere.  Has NOTHING to do with anything on jeopardy or why people don't like him but he goes on and on about it. Why is he bringing up racism and sexism at all and connecting it to jeopsrdy?  It's a complete non sequitur he throws all there after he lost. 

My impression is he thought he'd go on jeopardy and have a long win streak because of his success in other competitions .  Didn't happen had some modest wins now this is all sour grapes oh jeopardy is not important ia a lesser competition.  On top of that people didn't like his bragging and so he has more excuses and rants about racism and sexsm.  There are other posts he outright calls people oline who dont like him white supremacists. Maybe they did make bad comments he doesn't say exactly. Just seems like this didn't go like he exorcted people were as enamored as he thought they should be with him and he lashed out on every way possible as a result. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

In the interview segment, I was hoping Ken would ask Middle Guy what it was like to tour with the Bee Gees. 

He made a great post on Reddit under the username "thelostbeegee." He seems like a cool guy and I loved the hair.

Katie was great too, and that was a well-earned win.

• Like 9
  • LOL 5

Although I can understand Yogesh’s frustration about the overall lack of attention paid to knowledge-based competition, it’s unfortunate that he chooses to disparage the one place where a person’s intellect can win them both cash and national recognition.

I know nothing about the world of quizzing (which I guess makes me part of the “problem”), so it’s possible he makes some valid points about racism and misogyny. It’s also possible that he’s a defensive, self-important jerk. Sometimes many things are true at once.

• Like 15
  • Applause 3

I think what bugged me the most was him saying (paraphrased), "Not only will Jeopardy never be at the top of my list of quizzing accomplishments - it's not even at the top of my accomplishments for 2022!" before immediately listing the ways he made history on the show.  I doubt I'd handle the criticism any better than he is, but it's still not a good look.

Katie and Jimmy played a great game and I was so happy she made a conservative wager.  I was totally clueless on FJ, though.  For some reason, the title of the category had me confused when it came to the clue itself.

• Like 13
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yesssss!!! Katie made a very wise, cautious wager. That was a good game. I don't know why they didn't hear me bellowing "Indiana!". Maybe all three are too young to know much about John Cougar Mellencamp. 

Seymour, Indiana was an instaget for me - but then I'm old enough to know a bunch about Mellencamp.

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

The middle guy's hair was giving me flashbacks.

What a head of hair! For some unknown reason, it instantly turned me against him. Not his fault at all, it must remind me of someone back in my past.

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I usually never listen to the interviews but I recently started doing this. Glad I heard Jimmy's story of taking on some criminals in ?Prague?  I bet they thought they were taking on a bunch of starry-eyed American tourists.  

i got very confused during the story. I think Jimmy needed to practice it more.

15 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

He lost me at "my mom had her hands down his pants" 😆 (did I hear that right?)

He didn't lose me at that (see above) but I wondered what the heck was going on. It was a confusing story and probably comes across better when he's relaxed and at a party.

I did pretty well, ran one category (Bread - I love bread, it's hard to stump me on bread). Got all but one in two categories. Dogs - daughter used the blender during White Fang or I might have gotten it...that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and Legal Letters.  I also got two answers in Baseball, which for me is a very big deal. 😆

FJ, unfortunately, I ended up a the stock market not coming up with a specific business/product. Oh well.

I like Katie. She plays well, seems nice, and reminds me of someone I just can't place.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 6
21 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Ahhh...

I got model.T

And his blog!  Let’s not forget the blog!!

• LOL 9
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My impression is he thought he'd go on jeopardy and have a long win streak because of his success in other competitions .  Didn't happen had some modest wins now this is all sour grapes oh jeopardy is not important ia a lesser competition. 

This is exactly what I've been thinking. IMO, he came across as smug. I'm sure that he expected to become a superchampion, especially as he has a history of beating James Holzhauer, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter in other, non-Jeopardy competitions. He didn't bother me as much as he seems to have bothered others, but I'm certainly not shedding any tears that his briefer than he expected run has ended.

I like Katie and hope she has a nice run.

• Like 10
15 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

So glad he is gone.

This was my biggest takeaway of his personality and how he can't be a trusted narrator for me. 

Her tweet verbatim is "Hmm. I can’t remember any contestant wearing a henley on Jeopardy. He definitely looks comfortable!"

And he somehow interprets it as "a popular J! fashion blog tried to shade me for not dressing formally enough for "Jeopardy!"

• Like 1

My first impression of Yogesh when he was introduced was that he was either a serial killer or somewhere on a personality disorder spectrum.
Middle Guy's post on Reddit includes:

Probably Yogesh just needs to work on his schtick if he wants to continue in social media, but, IDK, the negative stuff he's doing is actually pretty popular right now.

Looking forward to seeing Katie this evening. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, MarianaHeart said:

Her tweet verbatim is "Hmm. I can’t remember any contestant wearing a henley on Jeopardy. He definitely looks comfortable!"

And he somehow interprets it as "a popular J! fashion blog tried to shade me for not dressing formally enough for "Jeopardy!"

To be fair, that reads a little snarky to me. As if “looks comfortable“ is the nicest thing she can say about it. Probably not what she intended.

But either way, it’s not a big deal. Thin skin, much?

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My first impression of Yogesh when he was introduced was that he was either a serial killer or somewhere on a personality disorder spectrum.
Middle Guy's post on Reddit includes:

Probably Yogesh just needs to work on his schtick if he wants to continue in social media, but, IDK, the negative stuff he's doing is actually pretty popular right now.

Looking forward to seeing Katie this evening. 

It was nice of Jimmy to say that about Yogesh. Jimmy seemed to be a nice guy.  But we know what we saw in the games that Yogesh participated in. I'm so glad he didn't win enough to return ever again.

• Like 3

For those who've never heard of MIMAL (that includes me), here's the picture. I believe Kentucky is the chicken and  Tennessee is the platter (not marked). Apparently, the chef got "Ill In Ohio" (the 3 states above the chicken) and "reads a MAG" (the three states below the platter). The things I learned from Jeopardy! image.thumb.png.99cfc8d78f79e7b02b02e1f897372379.png

• Like 5
  • Useful 10