Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, illdoc said:

For those who've never heard of MIMAL (that includes me), here's the picture. I believe Kentucky is the chicken and  Tennessee is the platter (not marked). Apparently, the chef got "Ill In Ohio" (the 3 states above the chicken) and "reads a MAG" (the three states below the platter). The things I learned from Jeopardy! image.thumb.png.99cfc8d78f79e7b02b02e1f897372379.png

Whut? 🤥

• LOL 1

I don't suppose they would've accepted Stiffler's Mom?

I didn't know about MIMAL but my daughter's driven to Arkansas through Missouri quite a lot so I guessed that for the A and then Louisiana seemed obvious.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I said Alabama and Louisiana.  I think subscionsciously AL probably made people immediately hink Alabama.

Anyway, the only missed clue I got was Bay.

I got the entire partial category of 3 letters right.

• Like 2

77% / 68% / 73%

Not terrible…in J! I ran Double Vowels, missed one in During the Liz Truss Weeks, and two in everything else. In DJ I ran Emmy Winners, missed three Bestsellers, and one in everything else. And I got FJ, second * of the week! TS were balloon, Hurricane Ian, and Constantine (DD).

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, South said:

Somebody commented that Katie reminded them of someone, but couldn’t come up with a name.  I’m thinking of Shailene Woodley.

For me it was Mindy "Natalie" Cohn from "Facts of Life".

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Alabama and Louisiana.  I think subscionsciously AL probably made people immediately hink Alabama.

That makes sense.

I, however, know very few of the state abbreviations. I said Arkansas both because it was the first A-state I thought of and seemed geographically in the right area. Definitely no burden of knowledge over here! Had never heard of MIMAL either.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

That makes sense.

I, however, know very few of the state abbreviations. I said Arkansas both because it was the first A-state I thought of and seemed geographically in the right area. Definitely no burden of knowledge over here! Had never heard of MIMAL either.

I acttually thought Alabama was next to Louisiana on the other side, but now I think it's Mississippi.  It's not forever far away, though.  It's not like I said Alaska.

• Like 1

Never heard of MIMAL but since I’m from Illinois I got Arkansas.  Louisiana was a gimme.

I didn’t hear all of Vince’s interview.  He played the organ for a native choral group?  I think that’s cool.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I didn’t hear all of Vince’s interview.  He played the organ for a native choral group?  I think that’s cool.

He said they sing traditional Catholic hymns in the native Mohawk language (for over 100 years). Between their organist passing away and covid they were out for two years.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Got a few stumpers tonight. I am sad that no one got Hurricane Ian. My former hometown was devasted by that horrible storm and they just found the last missing body last week, four months later. There are still areas without internet and some islands are just now starting to re-open. I guess life moves on from the headlines.

I ran the Emmy's category and completely missed the entire Science category so a typical game for me. I did get FJ. Saw the Chef thing as a meme a couple of years ago.

Oh yeah, I am trying to soak in as much Ken Jennings as I can before Mayim takes over next month..(?)

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

The balloon TS surprised me a little.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I didn't know the vape company and joined the contestants in not being able to remember the hurricane name (how soon we forget!).

In DJ, on the other hand, I only ran the vocabulary category.  I got all but one in Emmys, but missed three in books and two each in the rest.

I've never heard of MIMAL, but I have a good mental map, especially of the U.S. -- based on the three states given being in a vertical row, I knew it had to be the next two states below, so FJ was easy for me despite being wholly unfamiliar with the mnemonic (and despite that looking nothing like a chef or an elf to me).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It's not like I said Alaska

[small voice] I said Alaska.

I knew the TS of The Fabelmans since it’s been advertised lately, but probably would not have known it when the game was played last fall. 

If Katie heard me saying “Constantine” for her DD, maybe she’d have won.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Constantine

Ken mentioned the city after talking about the correct Emperor. 

Why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks. 

29 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

”8mm” as a Spielberg film about a young boys love of movies is possibly the funniest thing I’ve heard all week.

Yeah, I don't remember that from 8 mm, and that was by Schumacher. I could see guessing Hugo since that does fit the story, but that was Scorsese, not Spielberg. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks. 

Mention Constantinople in my house and you’ll get treated to a lively chorus of “Istanbul was Constantinople/ Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople…” from  me and 30 Hubbys. Same thing happens when it’s said on TV. 

’Cause we’re dorks.

(PS- Guess which DD stumper I got? 😉)

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 8
40 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I was quite sure that FJ was kiddie-Jeopardy easy.  I was wrong 

Seriously,  they didn't get Hurricane Ian?

I didn't get that and my parents got damage from it.  I just dont' care about hurricane names.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

To be fair, that reads a little snarky to me. As if “looks comfortable“ is the nicest thing she can say about it. Probably not what she intended.

But either way, it’s not a big deal. Thin skin, much?

I'll say nothing about Yogesh himself, but what little I've read of "oneeclecticmom" did not make me want to read more.  She rubs me the wrong way as well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Seriously,  they didn't get Hurricane Ian?

I didn't get that and my parents got damage from it.  I just dont' care about hurricane names.

Nor me, Camille and Hugo, that's about it, and nothing about dates.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, WhoisMark said:

For me it was Mindy "Natalie" Cohn from "Facts of Life".

Thank you! A prettier version, but yes, that's who she's been reminding me of.

13 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Got a few stumpers tonight. I am sad that no one got Hurricane Ian.

I just couldn't remember the name. I have friends in Florida, and watched the news biting my nails, but just couldn't remember the name.

10 hours ago, WhoisMark said:

Perhaps the movie mixup was thinking "Super 8" but blurting "8mm"?

That's funny, because I thought he said "Super 8" (maybe my mind just translated his intention)

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Mention Constantinople in my house and you’ll get treated to a lively chorus of “Istanbul was Constantinople/ Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople…” from  me and 30 Hubbys. Same thing happens when it’s said on TV. 

’Cause we’re dorks.

We don't do it every time, but we do go into that routine a lot. We're fellow dorks.

I ran three categories, Real Housewives (thankfully not about the tv shows), Spielberg, and Emmy winners.

Husband used to be a C++ programmer, so he got that immediately.

I said Alabama first, but then I realized that all the states previously mentioned lined up, so I got to Arkansas well before the time was up. I don't think I could picture the north/south lineup in any other part of the states except for the west coast.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I came up with balloon, The Fablemans, said phosgene (which is the same as mustard gas), and FJ was an instaget. I’m surprised it stumped the players. So that’s another * for me. 

Phosgene and mustard gas were both used in World War I, but they are two different substances.  Phosgene is COCl2, carbonyl dicholoride.  It's colorless and smells like musty hay.  Mustard gas is (ClCH2CH2)2S, bis(2-chloroethyl)sulfide.  It's yellow-brown in color, and smells like mustard or garlic.  Although if you're smelling either one of them, you're already in trouble.

• Like 2
  • Useful 9
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never heard of MIMAL, but I have a good mental map, especially of the U.S. -- based on the three states given being in a vertical row, I knew it had to be the next two states below, so FJ was easy for me despite being wholly unfamiliar with the mnemonic (and despite that looking nothing like a chef or an elf to me).

I've never heard of it either, but as a child I spent countless hours playing with a jigsaw puzzle of the U.S. Each state was its own piece (except for the very small ones), and I quickly learned that there were two sections running in a straight line up and down. The first was North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. The second was what we just saw in this Jeopardy clue. Hence it stands to reason that I knew the answer immediately. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Congrats to Vince on his win; hope he continues to do well.

I got the ts of balloon (and was waiting for spittoon to come up in that category) and the missed DDs of bay and Constantine.

When they showed the FJ category I was sure it would be HOMES but it wasn't.  I've never heard of MIMAL.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SyracuseMug said:

I've never heard of it either, but as a child I spent countless hours playing with a jigsaw puzzle of the U.S. Each state was its own piece (except for the very small ones), and I quickly learned that there were two sections running in a straight line up and down. The first was North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. The second was what we just saw in this Jeopardy clue. Hence it stands to reason that I knew the answer immediately. 🙂

Me, too!  I called the one-piece of New England states "Massa-shu-shetts."  My grandparents had moved to Miami (we were in Philly) and the Florida piece had a guy in a striped tank top/swim trunks by a beach umbrella and I called him 'Poppop' after my granddad. I have always been fascinated by maps.

• Like 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Trey said:

When they showed the FJ category I was sure it would be HOMES but it wasn't.

For the Great Lakes I prefer "Super Man Helps Every One" which puts them in order from west to east.

• Like 6
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

But he basically craps all over jeopardy as meaningless and says everything else is more important in the quiz community whatever that is. Ok fine then dont go on the show. Dont go on it then shit all over it when you don't get as many wins as the people you are saying you have beat before. 

Exactly.  If you don't respect Jeopardy, don't go on it. You're not doing anyone (including yourself) any favors by lowering your very high standards by being on the show. (Personally, I think it's just sour grapes because he thought he'd win like James Holzhauer did and gain fame and glory. Instead he burnt out after 3 games, not even eligible for the Tournament of Champions.)

• Like 9
  • Applause 8
3 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I've never heard of it either, but as a child I spent countless hours playing with a jigsaw puzzle of the U.S. 

Childhood learning games are the best! I used to play with a deck of Author Cards, and they have helped me with many a Jeopardy clue.

I was distracted during FJ and, while I would like to believe I’d have gotten it in a more attentive state, who knows. I had no childhood maps.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I had a wooden puzzle map of the USA with each state as a puzzle piece. As a child i used to put it together in the order of how each state entered the Union. That order is burned into my memory. It's amazing how much capacity memory has.

Nerd alert!  Actually, I'm very impressed :)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I was a little distracted for a bit because there was an ambulance and police car otuside and I was wondering what was going on.

I said murderers.  Witches never crossed my mind.

I got the missed clues of leprosy, death and the Danube.  I feel like that needs to be a book title.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

January 18:

70% / 70% / 69%

J!: Ran songs, missed one in 1890s and Women of Science, two in College Towns and Six Pack, and three in Same First & Last Letter.

DJ: Ran nothing, missed one in Boundaries, Politicians, and Movies, and two in Blank Verse, Newspapers, and Elemental Responses.

FJ: Did not get it. I guessed heretics because of the religion angle; guess I should have paid more attention to the year.

TS: Danube, Poland, and Brown (assuming the last name is sufficient).

• Like 2
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

’Cause we’re dorks.

That happens at my house too; nice to know we're in good company!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

’Cause we’re dorks.

(PS- Guess which DD stumper I got? 😉

I have been singing the chorus to 🎶Take Me Back To Constantinople🎶 all day today. It's fun to sing. Good game tonight. TS's: leprosy, death & Danube. I thought Erin said Charlottesville & was shocked when Ken said "no".  FJ? Easy, thanks to the minister's last name. 

• Like 6

Old champ was so much happier clapping for the other contestants than he was playing; he looked totally stressed. Hopefully he just "needs a drink." 

New champ was so happy. Nice to see that.
Floved her chevron-like patterned top too.

37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was a little distracted for a bit because there was an ambulance and police car otuside and I was wondering what was going on.

I said murderers.  Witches never crossed my mind.

I got the missed clues of leprosy, death and the Danube.  I feel like that needs to be a book title.

I thought FJ Witches was an instaget for everyone and anyone, but then I recently watched an episode of Finding Your Roots that refreshed my knowledge of that time period, and had no distractions during the game.

I also got leprosy and death. (I'm still under the weather.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought FJ Witches was an instaget for everyone and anyone, but then I recently watched an episode of Finding Your Roots that refreshed my knowledge of that time period, and had no distractions during the game.

FJ was an instaget for me too and I do wonder if the correct response would have come to me as quickly were it not for that FYR episode a week ago, where both Jeff Daniels and Clare Danes each had an ancestor involved in the Salem Witch Trials.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I didn't realize how much I was rooting for Erin as the game went on until I groaned when Vince nailed that second DD in DJ and got nervous when she couldn't manage to ring in first after that.  I'm glad she emerged victorious in the end after dominating since halfway through the first round.

Vince made me laugh when he said "Boy, I could use some" after the liquor clue.

The leprosy TS surprised me, as did Poland a bit.

I only ran college towns (I'm not sure I'd have correctly guessed Charlottesville had Erin not pointed me there) and 1890s in the first round.  I got all but labial in the vocabulary category, but missed two each in the rest.  I thought I was going to be awful at 2010s songs, so knowing three was a pleasant surprise.

I only ran movies in DJ, but at least I didn't have any bad categories.  I got all but one in boundaries, newspapers, and politicians, and missed two in the rest.

FJ was an instaguess - I didn't specifically know the quote or who Mather was, but given the year and the sentiment, witches immediately sprang to mind - I was quite confident was right.

• Like 4