Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E04: Vibe of the Tribe

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

One castaway paints a target on their back when attempting to pit their tribemates against one another. One tribe dives their way to victory after piecing together a big win in the immunity challenge.

Original airdate 3/30/22

I don't care what anyone says, I think Tori's a riot, and I'm really glad she stayed 😆

I remembered partway through TC that we still haven't seen that scene they showed in the first episode, where

Spoiler

Tori is reading the 3-way idol clue, so I figured she was still safe. Still odd that they included that.

Did Swati say in her final words that Boston Rob was 4th voted out in his first season? Try 7th, but nice try.

Still a fun season!

Edited by tracyscott76
Just now, jsm1125 said:

Boston Rob was 4th out? Since when? 

Oh I thought she said forced out.  Also she isn’t quite as charismatic as he turned out to be, considering I was hoping he would be *first* out in Marquesas and now I adore him.

In the pantheon of super annoying things Tori has done, her fishface eye roll at Rocksroy has made it to the tippy-top of the list.

• Love 14

Swati played just a little too big, too soon.  She would have been fine if she had just picked a side.  She also didn't do the best job of trying to throw Tori under the bus and pin the blame for her decisions on someone else.  I guess she never thought people would compare notes or try and use what information they had to save themselves.  Note to future Survivor contestants: pick one #1 and stick with them, even if you change your mind and blindside them.  Love that Rocks wasn't in on the vote.

Taku is awesome.  I loved the looks of the other two tribes when Taku finished the RC and they were still halfway through.  Getting upset about Jonathan's comment was stupid, and I hope this isn't foreshadowing of him getting blindsided in the near future.  Only MaryAnne could get away with saying her idol line about bunnies more than once without raising suspicion.

Daniel didn't do a good job of trying to reduce blowback from the last TC.  But I don't like Chanelle.  I kind of hope she goes before him.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

In the pantheon of super annoying things Tori has done, her fishface eye roll at Rocksroy has made it to the tippy-top of the list.

This is exactly the type of reaction Rocksroy should get 😆

Team Tori! It's lonely over here lol

4 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

She was more tolerable tonight, I'll say that.  I did laugh when she said she expected to be playing under the radar and is a sweet girl.  Either she's got a different definition of that, or the producers have a sense of humor including that line with her edit.  She's not dull.  I have a feeling there was a lot more back and forth between her and Swati than we saw.  I'm more glad she stuck around because it'll annoy Rocks.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

She was more tolerable tonight, I'll say that.  I did laugh when she said she expected to be playing under the radar and is a sweet girl.  Either she's got a different definition of that, or the producers have a sense of humor including that line with her edit.  She's not dull.  I have a feeling there was a lot more back and forth between her and Swati than we saw.  I'm more glad she stuck around because it'll annoy Rocks.

Yeah, Tori's no sweetheart, but that tribe needs someone like her to bring some life to the proceedings and be a fly in the ointment. Without her, all the "drama" and energy would be coming from grumpy ol' Rocksroy, and how much fun would that be?

I will say that I like Drea and Romeo a good bit, and liked Swati, too...and even Rocksroy is a pretty tame example of the bossy archetype. I still haven't found anyone who I think is awful! What's wrong with this season??

Edited by tracyscott76
10 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm more glad she stuck around because it'll annoy Rocks.

It's a win-win.  Swati annoyed me from the first episode, and Rocks too😎

Tori is no prize, lesser evil I suppose.

Loved Romeo's shirt at TC.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Yeah, Tori's no sweetheart, but that tribe needs someone like her to bring some life to the proceedings and be a fly in the ointment. Without her, all the "drama" and energy would be coming from grumpy ol' Rocksroy, and how much fun would that be?

I will say that I like Drea and Romeo a good bit, and liked Swati, too...and even Rocksroy is a pretty tame example of the bossy archetype. I still haven't found anyone who I think is awful! What's wrong with this season??

I saw some people in the live chat say there wasn't anyone on Ika they liked, but I actually like Romeo and Drea (I think).  I feel like I was bugged by her in a previous episode, but maybe I'm wrong.  I did like Swati up until tonight, but she really tanked her game.  Rocks can go anytime, although I'm curious after tonight if this will be eye opening for him, and if he changes his attitude around camp.  It's funny that Tori was initially the target for vote one, and Rocks was steadfast in not changing the vote from Zach.  Tori may very well be his downfall based on his stubborness with the first vote.

I don't care for Chanelle, but everyone else is either just there and I don't have an opinion of them, or I'm rooting for them.  Jonathan, Hai, Omar, Drea, Romeo, Lydia, and MaryAnne (to a certain extent) are all those I'd like to see go far.  Lindsey I'm intrigued by.  Not sure what I think, but her comment comparing herself to being a shield like Jonathan I thought was interesting.     

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

*sigh* Another blah episode. I think I'm only watching this "live" because I like posting in the live thread. Also, it's a good place to bring out lame material . . . like "Rocksroy sounds like a Pokemon name."

Jonathan . . . wow. I think he's going to be targeted and thrown over the top rope the first chance he's vulnerable ("see also: Boneham, Rupert"). It's a bit sad because he seems nice so far . . . but he's an alpha dude. When I was half-watching March Madness stuff, I saw a brief commercial showing the awesomeness of Jonathan from last week's episode. Probst could have edited that, and I wouldn't be shocked. It feels like he's capable of doing anything and everything he can to keep a stud like Jonathan in the game. And I feel like I'm supposed to root against a stud because of that.

Maryann continues to Maryann. She's going to keep bringing out that bunny until she's told to stop. I get how she can grate, but it's fun for me. And I can't blame her for celebrating her sinking the ball. I'm thinking she figured it would take a lot longer for that to happen.

Honest Question: is there any paper in "Shot n The Dark" that is labeled "SAFE"? I'm doubting it. Or maybe I'm feeling that because three doomed players wound up trying and failing to get instant immunity.

• Love 12

With Jenny  gone and all though Drea is growing on me it's all about Orange now! Really want them to stay safe.

With that said  Johnathan's team mates were out of bounds....Jeff is the one they should be mad at. I can't really fathom why he's working overtime to paint a target the size of the Empire State Buildings on Johnathan's back come the merge.

Don't like the guy who said it but how in the world is the episode title not   "They've got Thor!"

Glad Green didn't' lose because the inevitable Daniel vote off would have been boring. He's boxed in with no where to go now.

No Tori....Swati wasn't paranoid she was delusional as her final words suggested she thought she could be the next Boston Rob. No Swati got swatted and I think that's the last we'll see of her as these days we can't even guarantee early boots will be on the finale in order to be ignored by Jeff.

Cameramen are no dummies....they know Maryanne delivers the money shots so they watch her closely.

When I saw Lydia going for the key I was like "this is going to end well". No joke...you could have flown a 747 in the gap between her reaching hands and the key.

Edited by North of Eden
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9

I thought it was just an okay episode. A little low-key, but Swati herself was rather low-key as well. I don't think she added much to the show, so I guess I'm glad Tori stayed over her. I think Tori has more potential as a villain heading into the merge.

Otherwise all I really got from the episode is that Jonathan has a HUGE target going into the merge. I think it's very much an open question how much effort the other three tribe members put in trying to save him.

2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Jonathan said before he wasn’t good with puzzles in an earlier episode,

I fear that's going to be his downfall. I don't see him getting individual immunity when there's a puzzle.  

But on the other hand  in the reward challenge, it wasn't Jonathan big muscles that was primarily helping them whip through the rope. They were really working great as a team, so there's that. 

That tribe is also going to have a disadvantage if they don't have another before the merge when Omar learns he doesn't have a vote at tthe first TC.

I hate to say it, but I really do think there is a likability deficient with Ika compared to the other tribes. With the exception of Drea, I could care less about all of them. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8

I was looking at Jonathan’s bio.  His hobbies are working out, surfing and…..spear fishing.  I figure after winning fishing gear last week…these fish are nice, but they’d eat well regardless.   

• Useful 4

I'm glad Tori stayed over Swati. It's like I didn't know much of Swati to really form an opinion, and she messed up her own game playing both sides and calling everyone her #1.  I'm more interested in seeing Tori's game. Plus, I find Tori hilarious. I hope she stays safe until the merge where hopefully she forms bonds with other tribemates and goes deep.

The other tribes clearly see Jonathan and the Taku 4 as a tight unit. Saying that he wants to work with his tribe and sticking together was not really a smart thing to say. Wouldn't be surprised if everyone goes after Jonathan at the merge whenever he doesn't have immunity. He's a challenge threat for sure.

Even though Vati managed to win immunity tonight, that tribe is still fractured.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Team Fishface here! 

(I used to have an Embden goose as a pet, exactly as in your pic.  Best watchdog ever.)

• Love 2

Just posted: Primetimer's Joe Reid weighs in on how Survivor 42 Is Putting the Importance of Tribe Energy to the Test

As the years have gone by and the strategy of Survivor has evolved, the importance of pre-merge tribes has taken a nose-dive. In the earliest seasons, tribal success in the pre-merge stage could make or break your game. The very first season of Survivor famously saw the infamous "Pagonging," with one tribe systematically dismantled by the other, which stayed fiercely loyal until the end. In the second season in Australia, tribal alliances were so strong that the tiebreaker in the first merge boot dictated how the entire rest of the season would go.

Since then, Survivor has worked to, if not make tribe success not matter, at least make tribe success not be the only thing that matters. Tribe swaps during the pre-merge stage did a lot to de-emphasize initial tribe strength, and the preponderance of idols and advantages have given players a lot more reason to play for themselves and seek ad-hoc alliances outside their original tribes. This has all been good and fun and more strategically satisfying. But Survivor 42 has been giving me a twinge of nostalgia for the days when tribes really meant something, particularly because through four episodes, we've gotten A Tale of Three Tribes, each with their own distinct energy and vibe, and it's going to be incredibly interesting to see if this has any bearing on who wins the game.

More here:
https://www.primetimer.com/features/survivor-42-putting-the-importance-of-tribe-energy-to-the-test

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jonathan is gone the first vote after the merge that he doesn't have immunity at. He's too dominate. Another week of Maryanne being annoying as hell, with her facial overreacting and general annoying personality. I can't think of the last survivor I was so annoyed by.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

You would not know it from her time on Survivor but Tori was pretty nice and charming on Sequester (From what I can recall, it has been over a year since I watched her season).  That was why I was a little shocked when Tori leaned more towards the villain side during this current season. Because she was likable on Sequester.

I still cannot figure out if I like or find Maryanne to be highly annoying.  I find her exuberance for the game and just for life in general to be very charming.  With that being said, I think if I were around her 24/7, I would find her highly annoying.  Right now I think I am still in the group that finds her charming but I fully understand why anyone would feel the opposite about her.

I was racking my brain who Daniel looks like to me and then it came to me, he looks a lot like Jason Clarke who is currently playing Jerry West on Winning Time.

I have to say after watching the last season of Big Brother and the last season of Survivor, I am just happy we don't have another season of, "Hey we all have the same skin color.  Therefore, we have to work together to get rid of anyone who does not have our skin color."  I understand that might not be a popular opinion, but I love seeing people work together just because they click and it having nothing to do with skin color or gender or any sort of immutable characteristics.  Maybe these sort of weird racist alliances were a one off thing and they will not become common place.  Yes I would be saying the same thing if it were a bunch of white people saying, "Let's vote out all of the black people because they don't look like us."  Saying stuff like that makes you a racist not matter what the color of your skin is.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I was looking at Jonathan’s bio.  His hobbies are working out, surfing and…..spear fishing.

Now I understand how Jonathan looked at one of the ten decent sized fish which someone thought was a mahi-mahi and he corrected them that it was a bear fish. I knew he wasn't joking, but I was also confused who the hell knows what a bear fish is and that they exist? Lots of people, I'm sure, but not super common knowledge.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I remembered partway through TC that we still haven't seen that scene they showed in the first episode, where

Reveal spoiler

Yeah, it's really odd that they chose to air that particular clip in the first episode, especially knowing how often the player would be at risk during TC. I don't see why they couldn't have shown Mike reading the advantage since he found it in week 2 or Maryanne. Or better yet, completely throw us off by airing Daniel reading the rules when he was 'looking for the fine print.' 🤣

2 hours ago, Primetimer said:

But Survivor 42 has been giving me a twinge of nostalgia for the days when tribes really meant something, particularly because through four episodes, we've gotten A Tale of Three Tribes, each with their own distinct energy and vibe, and it's going to be incredibly interesting to see if this has any bearing on who wins the game.

I've definitely appreciated that this season has given a good amount of focus to each tribe, helped by the fact that all three tribes have already had at least one tribal council, compared with last season.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BK1978 said:

I was racking my brain who Daniel looks like to me and then it came to me, he looks a lot like Jason Clarke who is currently playing Jerry West on Winning Time.

I think he looks like a young Woody Harrelson, back in the Cheers days.

woody harrelson.jpg

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

Shoutout to Lindsay, who seems like a real challenge beast herself but is overshadowed by the literal Marvel hero on her tribe

I like Lindsay a lot; she is neither a complainer nor a drama queen, which IMHO automatically puts her head and shoulders above both Omar and Maryanne. 😄

BTW - did O and M both think “maybe we need more drama to increase our camera time…?”  Because I can’t think of any other rationale for their “OMIGAWDJONATHANTOLDEVERYBODYWE’REACLOSEKNITGROUPWHATWASHETHINKING…!?!?”  crap.  Did they think “being vague” might stop another tribe from targeting them post-merge?  
Yeah, let us know how that works out for ya.  🙄

Horseshit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 16

That was kind of a dull episode.  The fact that they showed the reward challenge was a clue.  I really didn't care which of them was voted out.

As awesome as it is to watch Jonathan perform how can he not see that he'll be the biggest target at the merge?  I don't know what you do in his position; they have to dominate to get to the merge but then how does one sink back into obscurity?  

Has no one found the third immunity idol?  Are they even looking? 

Spoiler

Oh, I see in the above spoiler that Tori eventually finds it.

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Don’t know about anybody else, but I for one am so completely totally over the Mandatory Look of Shock That Somebody Actually Got (GASP!!!™) Voted Out at the Last Tribal Council schtick.

YES!  This bugs me since the people on the other tribes don't know the person who was voted out so it should be a big shrug from everyone. (Unless a tribe votes out someone big and strong like Jonathan; that would get a shocked reaction from the other tribes.  But someone like Jenny?  Did anyone even remember there was a Jenny on that tribe?)

Jonathan's tribe of 4 is giving me the same sort of vibe as the Yul/Ozzy/Becky/and 4th whose name I don't recall.  They work well together.  I hope this continues.  They are fun to watch.

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

Tonight's takeaways:

• Don’t know about anybody else, but I for one am so completely totally over the Mandatory Look of Shock That Somebody Actually Got (GASP!!!™) Voted Out at the Last Tribal Council schtick.  Re-hinge your jaw, Maryanne; it’s gonna happen every time, so stop acting surprised.  You have seen this show before, right?  🙄
  • Not only did Drea’s “He (Jonathan) did it for them” and Tori’s “Goliath” comments positively reek of sour grapes, they were also HIGHLY inaccurate.  Have there been comps where Jonathan figuratively lifted his team on his shoulders and carried them through?  Sure, and tonight’s IC challenge was a perfect example of such - but this RC was not one of those.  Jonathan did appear to be providing the initial coordination for his team in unraveling the braid, but hell - *I* took one look at the simple 3-strand braid and knew the solution instantly; you find the rhythmic 3-step pattern to undo each piece of the braid, and you keep repeating the pattern until the whole thing is undone.  Rocket science, it ain't; I saw this immediately,  and I suspect every person who’s ever braided/unbraided a rope or their children’s hair did the same.  Neither Jonathan’s strength or size were key to a winning strategy here, and in fact his size was probably a significant DISadvantage in maneuvering through the ropes; the key was sustained coordinated movement on the part of ALL THREE PLAYERS, and they executed it well.  No, Drea and Tori, y’all didn’t lose because Jonathan was Superman - y’all lost because (a) you were too fucking stupid to figure out how a braid works, (b) your team coordination sucked too bad to undo it, or (c) both.
  • Jonathan's dad sounds like a right egregious asshole.
  • in the IC: powerful as Jonathan was in the swimming phase, any two fair-to-middling swimmers could’ve outswam him - with a degree of coordination in their efforts.  Once again, the other tribes’ lack of even the faintest hint of teamwork bit them in the ass.
  • Anybody else besides me wish there was some way ALL of Vati could’ve been voted out tonight en masse?  I would not have objected in the least.
  • Good on Swati for playing her SITD, even if it didn’t work; she read her tribe accurately, and correctly deduced her one vote was insufficient to alter her opposition’s intended outcome.

Great points. Total sour grapes.  In the rope challenge, Jonathan’s size wasn’t what he contributed.  He spent the whole tile calling out the rhythm so they kept on track (he did the same during the sled pull segment shouting Pull…..Pull….Pull).   And everyone had to sink a basket..land he wasn’t the only one to do it on the first try.  

Probst made a good point. Orange started with a disadvantage losing Jackson…which imo probably contributed to their disarray in the next challenge that they should not have been last for and having to vote out another member.   But instead of turning on each other, they bonded together, and I hope they go far.  

It has been a long time since a player was memorable for the right reasons.   How many challenge beasts have been so humble and team focused?   I think his beach business is exploding and if he plays it smart, he should get the kind of opportunities that haven’t been available since the early days of reality television.  If there was still a fan favourite public vote, he’d run with it. 

• Love 22
43 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Jonathan's tribe of 4 is giving me the same sort of vibe as the Yul/Ozzy/Becky/and 4th whose name I don't recall.  They work well together.  I hope this continues.  They are fun to watch.

I'm enjoying them so much, and I'm sad they're going to be ripped apart soon. Jonathan is my favourite player in many seasons, and I'm sad his reward is going to be an early exit. (When he said his father would get him up at 3 years old to do pull-ups, I thought it was going to be a sad abuse story, but happily no.) 

Because I can’t think of any other rationale for their “OMIGAWDJONATHANTOLDEVERYBODYWE’REACLOSEKNITGROUPWHATWASHETHINKING…!?!?”  crap

That was so confusing. Jonathan stated that their tribe was strong and united. This was so evident from their performances so far that it was just stating the obvious. How could it possibly hurt them? I felt like the editors were the ones trying to create drama where none existed. 

• Love 12

Jonathon's Dad sounds like a giant asshole. I didn't hear an explanation as to why Jonathon's Dad thought that running up and down mountains in the early morning was a great idea, maybe he watched the first episode of Band of Brothers and thought that Captain Sobel had a great training method for his Airborn dudes? 

Jonathon gave them a great lead in that challenge, Maryann was behind the boat while Jonathon was pulling it, but they still had to knock out the puzzle. Based on what I saw, Omar and Lyndsey were the puzzle people, Jonathon is the strength, and Maryann is dead weight. Lyndsey looks to be in great shape and is probably one of the stronger women out there and they choose to have her help with the puzzle over Maryann. This gives me the impression that Maryann is not a great help in the challenges at any stage. It could be that they put Lyndsey in the boat because they knew Maryann couldn't make the jump to get the key and they trusted Omar with the puzzle. Either way, Maryann does not seem to add much to the tribe. 

I am hoping Jonathon finds an immunity idol or an advantage and it keeps him safe. He has been a rock for his team, he hasn't been bragging about it, and he seems like an overall nice guy with an amazing body.

I am fine with Sawti going home. We have not seen much of the Blue tribe and the little that we have seen is underwhelming. Rocksroy is still bossing people around. Tori is still overplaying and getting away with it all while trying to rewrite history as she does things. Sawti had no chance of taking out Tori because Tori is pretty good at manipulation and Sawti is not. Romeo is there and you can see he is trying to play strategically. Drea seems ok but told people about her advantage for no good reason. 

Green is a giant mess. Daniel's announcing he didn't want to discuss tribal that night went over about as well as I would have expected. And was as well received as I expected. Not only did they discuss it but they discussed it in small groups and Daniel demonstrated why he should never be hired to argue a case in court. Or at least, why you shouldn't hire him when he is sleep and food deprived and needs to go to court. Mike is pissed, for good reason. He lost his main ally because Chanelle was an idiot and risked her vote and because Daniel is a paranoid fool. Mike has no reason to trust Chanelle or Daniel. And Mike doesn't seem to be the type of guy who forgets or forgives easily. Daniel is still blaming Chanelle for his actions which is cowardly. He is a grown man. He agreed to the plan, he followed through with the plan, and then he folded as soon as the plan fell a part. Hai and Lydia are in an ok position in the Tribe but they are going into the merge with a giant mess and no chance of trusting the other people in their tribe. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
25 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Jonathon's Dad sounds like a giant asshole. I didn't hear an explanation as to why Jonathon's Dad thought that running up and down mountains in the early morning was a great idea, maybe he watched the first episode of Band of Brothers and thought that Captain Sobel had a great training method for his Airborn dudes? 

Jonathon gave them a great lead in that challenge, Maryann was behind the boat while Jonathon was pulling it, but they still had to knock out the puzzle. Based on what I saw, Omar and Lyndsey were the puzzle people, Jonathon is the strength, and Maryann is dead weight. Lyndsey looks to be in great shape and is probably one of the stronger women out there and they choose to have her help with the puzzle over Maryann. This gives me the impression that Maryann is not a great help in the challenges at any stage. It could be that they put Lyndsey in the boat because they knew Maryann couldn't make the jump to get the key and they trusted Omar with the puzzle. Either way, Maryann does not seem to add much to the tribe. 

I am hoping Jonathon finds an immunity idol or an advantage and it keeps him safe. He has been a rock for his team, he hasn't been bragging about it, and he seems like an overall nice guy with an amazing body.

I am fine with Sawti going home. We have not seen much of the Blue tribe and the little that we have seen is underwhelming. Rocksroy is still bossing people around. Tori is still overplaying and getting away with it all while trying to rewrite history as she does things. Sawti had no chance of taking out Tori because Tori is pretty good at manipulation and Sawti is not. Romeo is there and you can see he is trying to play strategically. Drea seems ok but told people about her advantage for no good reason. 

Green is a giant mess. Daniel's announcing he didn't want to discuss tribal that night went over about as well as I would have expected. And was as well received as I expected. Not only did they discuss it but they discussed it in small groups and Daniel demonstrated why he should never be hired to argue a case in court. Or at least, why you shouldn't hire him when he is sleep and food deprived and needs to go to court. Mike is pissed, for good reason. He lost his main ally because Chanelle was an idiot and risked her vote and because Daniel is a paranoid fool. Mike has no reason to trust Chanelle or Daniel. And Mike doesn't seem to be the type of guy who forgets or forgives easily. Daniel is still blaming Chanelle for his actions which is cowardly. He is a grown man. He agreed to the plan, he followed through with the plan, and then he folded as soon as the plan fell a part. Hai and Lydia are in an ok position in the Tribe but they are going into the merge with a giant mess and no chance of trusting the other people in their tribe. 

I rewatched the challenge and it was MaryAnne who worked with Omar on the puzzle.    But I definitely agree Lyndsey may be the strongest woman there.  

eta, I agree about Jonathan’s dad too.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Only MaryAnne could get away with saying her idol line about bunnies more than once without raising suspicion.  

True - but I feel like it's already getting weird, with Jeff pointedly directing a question to MaryAnne and her responding with "bunnies eating dinner in my mailbox, Jeff!"  Especially since no one else is answering her in kind (I don't understand why Mike isn't responding with his own phrase but I'm probably confused about the rules).  Next week it's going to be, "So, MaryAnne - how's your tribe getting along?"  "Like bunnies having dinner in my mailbox, Jeff!"  Or, "MaryAnne - what do you miss most about home?"  "Having dinner with the bunnies in my mailbox!"  If she continues to be the only one spouting her phrase, at some point I have to think the players that aren't in on the phrase thing are going to wonder if something's going on.

9 hours ago, vb68 said:

But on the other hand  in the reward challenge, it wasn't Jonathan big muscles that was primarily helping them whip through the rope. They were really working great as a team, so there's that. 

I'm so confused why Ika didn't fly through this challenge, what with Rocksroy screaming "OVER!  UNDER!  OVER!  UNDER!" from his seat on the bench.

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

It has been a long time since a player was memorable for the right reasons.   How many challenge beasts have been so humble and team focused?  

I honestly can't remember if this particular archetype has ever been as low-key and humble as Jonathan.  The last guy built like him that I can remember was the jerk from Micronesia that slammed Chet's face into a wooden pole during a challenge where they were tied together and then proceeded to literally drag him through the rest of the course.  If I heard correctly, Jonathan was asking his tribemates who wanted to go first when they got to the ball-toss portion of the IC, which I thought was singularly thoughtful of him - he didn't just take over because he knew he'd probably be good at it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
4 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I rewatched the challenge and it was MaryAnne who worked with Omar on the puzzle.    But I definitely agree Lyndsey may be the strongest woman there.  

eta, I agree about Jonathan’s dad too.  

Thanks, I thought the boat people had to do the puzzle. I was playing Terraforming Mars while listening to the show and occasionally looking up. 

1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

I honestly can't remember if this particular archetype has ever been as low-key and humble as Jonathan.  The last guy built like him that I can remember was the jerk from Micronesia that slammed Chet's face into a wooden pole during a challenge where they were tied together and then proceeded to literally drag him through the rest of the course.  If I heard correctly, Jonathan was asking his tribemates who wanted to go first when they got to the ball-toss portion of the IC, which I thought was singularly thoughtful of him - he didn't just take over because he knew he'd probably be good at it.  

The Pro Wrestler in the season with Nerds, Strong People, and Outcast folks turned out to be a good dude who was ripped. I really do forget names and winners after seasons are over... 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Honest Question: is there any paper in "Shot n The Dark" that is labeled "SAFE"? I'm doubting it. Or maybe I'm feeling that because three doomed players wound up trying and failing to get instant immunity.

"Shot in the Dark" is basically a losing situation.  There are five "Not Safe" options and only one "Safe" option.  It's my understanding that each player picks from six papers, so the chances of pulling the one "Safe" paper are way long.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Jonathan in the water... It was like watching some CGI hero in a Marvel movie.

Oh yeah!   And I posted a link to an interesting preseason interview on Jonathan’s page.  Apparently he has had his beach services company since he was 18.  That’s impressive.   And re my previous post about him enjoying spear fishing….he noticed that he was using different equipment than they use on the show, so he bought the closest he could to the Survivor type so he could practice.  Hopefully we’ll get some Jonathan fishing footage soon.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I'm so confused why Ika didn't fly through this challenge, what with Rocksroy screaming "OVER!  UNDER!  OVER!  UNDER!" from his seat on the bench.

I know, right? If only they'd listened to him 😆

39 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

True - but I feel like it's already getting weird, with Jeff pointedly directing a question to MaryAnne and her responding with "bunnies eating dinner in my mailbox, Jeff!"  Especially since no one else is answering her in kind (I don't understand why Mike isn't responding with his own phrase but I'm probably confused about the rules). 

The first time Maryanne said her phrase and Mike didn't respond, he explained in a talking head that he was waiting for someone on the Blue tribe to say their phrase before he said his. Because there was no point in him saying his if the third one wasn't invoked. Now, there's some debate about whether or not he really has the option to not say it, but for now that's what the show is giving us.

I agree with the sentiment that Lindsay is one to watch. She's buff, but not in a "She Is Literally! Carrying Her Tribe! On Her Back!" Jonathan way, she seems to have the pulse of her group, and she's had zero drama so far. And she still has a nice smile 🥰

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Agreed on Johnathan's dad. Does not exactly sound like the father of the year.

Ah go easy on Maryann...every BEATLES needs its Ringo Starr!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Mike knows that if he says the phrase a bunch of times that everyone might be clued into his having an advantage. If he can get to the merge without saying the phrase, the idol is activated any way so why put a target on his back. 

If Mike heard the second phrase then he can choose to say his phrase and have an immunity idol and his vote back, but he knows that at least 2 other people know he has an idol. 

I am not remembering the rules for Season 41's three way idol but I think that it had to be activated before the merge otherwise it died. The fact that this idol can become active without the three phrases is a big difference and I can see playing it differently. I also don't think that they are required to say the phrase but they know that the idol only activates early if they all say the phrase. The fact that Mike hasn't said the phrase 3 challenges in a row seems to point to the fact that it isn't necessary. 

Right now, Mike and his allies know Maryann has 1/3 of the idol but Maryann doesn't know that Mike has 1/3 of the idol. Mike and his allies know to target Maryann at the merge because she has an idol and Maryann doesn't know to target Mike because they are clueless about his. I doubt anyone on the Blue Tribe has found the idol because everyone had their vote at the last tribal. Or I am missing something again because I am playing board games while watching the show. 

Mike's strategy is an interesting one because it is pretty risky. He is counting on being safe in his tribe up to the merge and then the idol activating. It might not be a huge risk because Daniel and Chanelle have pretty big targets on their back and Mike is aware of that. He might be counting on Daniel and Chanelle not wanting to work together because of the last tribal and Hai and Lydia having no reason to trust Daniel and Chanelle as his shield. 

We are down to 13 players right now, the merge tends to happen at 12 people so Mike might be thinking he only has to make one more challenge/tribal council and then he has an idol and not much of a target. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Jonathon's Dad sounds like a giant asshole.

Seriously. Jonathan didn't seem to agree, which is a giant yikes lol.

I find myself not actually liking anyone or caring if anyone is booted but still enjoying this season.

Actually, I take that back, I want Tori to stay forever. She is hilarious.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Too bad DC already has a perfect Aquaman because Jonathan would be another perfect one. Maybe he could pull off an Aqualad instead. :)

And on the Marvel side, Namor is a jerk, so Jonathan would be a horrible choice for Namor. 

As far as the challenges go, Jonathan certainly is pulling his tribe along, but the rest of them are still pulling their weights for the most part. (Maryanne's swimming aside). We did have 1 challenge that was pretty much custom-designed for his strengths last week, but this week it was more his leadership and teamwork skills that got the win as much as his strength. Sadly, unless he can build up an epic idol run, his time post-merge is likely to be limited. But he'll probably be a shoo-in for the next few AllStars if he wants to. He could probably get a partner and do a TAR and/or MTV Challenge run if he wants to stay in the RealityTV pool. 

Maryanne's phrase is an interesting situation. From the outside (ie from the Blue tribe's perspective) she's already shown she's quirky, so her repeating this phrase over and over probably isn't seen as suspicious from them. Green and Yellow know about the Tridol phrases, so they know what she's trying to do and building her own target. So this could make for another interesting merge situation when it happens. 

As for when the merge happens, we are down to 13 now, which would mean merge might be in 2 weeks. But we also had a Medical evac, so merge may not happen until 3 weeks from now. It'll probably depend on how the next few eliminations go; teams are pretty balanced now so there isn't really a need to shake things up like there is when they get half a tribe sitting out because another tribe's been Pagonging. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I understand that might not be a popular opinion, but I love seeing people work together just because they click and it having nothing to do with skin color or gender or any sort of immutable characteristics. 

So do I, and I think the most adorable example ever of this is Maryanne and Jonathan. They are opposites in a dozen different ways but seem to get along great.  Along with the many other reasons to fall in love with Jonathan, his patience with her is at the top of my list.

As per Maryanne's bunny story -- I'm betting Jeff asks a lot of questions to all the  cast members about how they're doing and we just don't see the, "my sunburn really hurts" ones, so Maryanne repeating what the others just see as a lame joke probably doesn't stand out as much with them.

• Love 6

It would now be smart of MaryAnne to stop saying her phrase UNLESS someone else said something strange. She doesn't need the other teams hear her say it again. I guarantee that if the third idol is found and anyone reads the clue they are going to immediately know what she has been doing and try to join her. ALTHOUGH, its very close to the merge and didn't the note say that it turns into a regular HII after the merge, sayings or not? Maybe should just hold out for that.

• Love 5

*sigh* Another blah episode. I think I'm only watching this "live" because I like posting in the live thread. 

Same. Midway through the episode we had Ika talking about who they would vote out next. Since that was the only one of the three tribes to have that discussion, it was obvious at that point they'd be the ones going to tribal council. And once they did, in fact, lose the Immunity Challenge, I realized my opinion of them individually ranged from disinterested (Drea, Romeo, Swati) to dislike (Tori, Rocksroy). I was fine with any of them going. 

I'm just SO SICK of these boring challenges. The show has run out of new ideas, it's all the same repetitive combination of ropes and diving and swimming and retrieving keys and puzzle pieces and balls and baskets. It's why I normally record the episode so I can FF thru this crap. I just don't find it the least bit interesting to watch and it's made all the more annoying with Jeff Probst's running commentary. 

Jonathan is gone the first vote after the merge that he doesn't have immunity at. 

Don't worry. Probst will make sure Jonathan has an idol and/or advantage whenever he needs it. This show is not above helping its favorites.

Jonathan's dad sounds like a right egregious asshole.

I know right? I mean, some might find that kind of behavior admirable or inspiring, I suppose, but to me he sounds like a monster.

Daniel apparently looks like every celebrity that ever existed, he's been compared to at least 20 of them by now. Clearly the face shape itself is just very common.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm just SO SICK of these boring challenges. The show has run out of new ideas, it's all the same repetitive combination of ropes and diving and swimming and retrieving keys and puzzle pieces and balls and baskets. It's why I normally record the episode so I can FF thru this crap. I just don't find it the least bit interesting to watch and it's made all the more annoying with Jeff Probst's running commentary. 

I watch clips of Survivor challenges when I eat lunch at my desk, and I often see old challenges and think "I've never seen that.  That would be cool to see again."  I came to Survivor kind of late, so was used to seeing repeats of challenges.  Now I see these older, unique challenges and realize they need to start doing things like that again.  And some of don't look like that would be that hard to set up again, but somehow they have disappeared.   

• Love 3

Rocksroy's face at the end was all FATHER IS VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU, CHILDREN. He's not long for this game if he can't get better at reading the room (and I've seen no indication that he can).

All 100 pounds of Romeo are playing a sneaky-good game. I enjoyed his editing montage of Rocksroy's bossiness.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13