Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E04: Vibe of the Tribe

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I knew that Swati's "You're my #1" to Tori, Drea, and Romeo would come back to bite her, but I have to remember she is all of 20.

Tori can be polarizing, but I like her scrappiness. At least she's entertaining.

Jonathan's annoyance at being called "Goliath." DUDE. Some self-awareness please and this coming from the guy who refers to Tori as "the blond girl." He's not long for the game unless he goes on an immunity run. Which will probably translate to the HII fairy paying him many visits. And this said from someone who likes Jonathan. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

If blue finds their idol next episode and Mike still doesn't say the phrase, I think he should get some kind of penalty.   

But he has already broken the rules two immunity challenges ago.

In my opinion the rules should say something like "if you fail to say the phrase at the next immunity challenge the idol will be removed from you" and/or production should inform him that he must say the phrase the moment Daniel started saying that he will convince Mike to not say the phrase. Now it's too late in my opinion.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I might say that Lindsay has been a tad under-edited, but that might just be because I'm crushing on intrigued by her.

Considering every time I see Lindsay mentioned here I have no idea who that is I would say she's definitely under-edited lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Considering every time I see Lindsay mentioned here I have no idea who that is I would say she's definitely under-edited lol. 

She's this lady (I know you weren't really asking, but I don't care 😛):

Lindsey-Dolashewich-Survivor-42-Header.thumb.jpg.90945a4156d365489113da49a7ec3918.jpg

I dunno, I can see where Johnathon wouldn't like being compared to Goliath, since Goliath really wasn't a good guy in that story, and it sounds like he's a wee bit religious.  It would have been funny if he'd immediately quipped back "Dude!  Obviously I'm going for the Aquaman vibe here.  Geeze...."

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Finally getting to watch this. On Wednesday I had the choice between watching Survivor and helping with lambs being born. Baby lambs won!

When Jeff said three people tied to a rope, I expected him to say it was being done in the water w/the tide coming in and huge swells.

Taku gets their fish. Jonathan's losing weight. 

• Love 5

Good, another drowning challenge!

Daniel sits out again. But I don't think he could pull a boat with that shoulder.

What! Jeff praised someone who missed grabbing a key!! They need to swap in someone else for Lydia. She's too short.

• Love 1

Is there someone named Homer? Or is Jeff saying Romeo? Oh, it's Omar!! Jeff exercising his knowledge of Biblical weights by yelling Omer!!

Kind of want Green to make it. Good, they can take a break from tribal.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

What! Jeff praised someone who missed grabbing a key!! They need to swap in someone else for Lydia. She's too short.

I appreciate when Jeff acknowledges someone's effort when it's unsuccessful. Much better than "Katie/Chelsea/etc. is being no help at all! She is totally useless in this challenge!"

Aw, I feel bad for Swati. I feel like I missed something. Why did they want to vote her out? Maybe they want to keep Tori as a snot shield, that is, you keep someone unlikeable in order to keep yourself safe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Aw, I feel bad for Swati. I feel like I missed something. Why did they want to vote her out? Maybe they want to keep Tori as a snot shield, that is, you keep someone unlikeable in order to keep yourself safe.

Quoting myself from earlier to hopefully answer your question:

On 3/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, tracyscott76 said:

Drea and Romeo felt that Swati was playing all sides, telling everyone that she was their number one (which the helpful editors backed up with clips). Also, it came out that Swati was the one who first targeted Drea, after Drea told her and Tori about her extra vote advantage (even though Swati tried to pin that on Tori). So for those reasons, they decided Swati was less reliable as an ally going forward (and in Drea's case, actually targeting her).

46 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Okay I've never heard the term "snot shield" before, but I like it.  Better than saying someone's being dragged along for being an unlikable goat!

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I appreciate when Jeff acknowledges someone's effort when it's unsuccessful. Much better than "Katie/Chelsea/etc. is being no help at all! She is totally useless in this challenge!"

I won't lie, when Taku beat the other tribes so badly (again) at the RC, I missed the days when Probst would look at those tribes and just be like 'guys you suck.' 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

She's the 3rd person in the Immunity Amulet "Alliance" from episode 1, along with Hai and Drea.

• Useful 1
On 3/31/2022 at 6:02 PM, violet and green said:

I think he's saying he is as strong as he is because of his dad's values... But the fact he had to get himself a second father figure when young speaks volumes. I think he's appreciating what has come out of his childhood, rather than being unaware it was bad treatment of a child.

I think he is aware of how he was treated and has forgiven his father and moved on.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wow, I definitely didn't remember that lol. Has she had a little puff piece about her past yet?

Not that I remember. She seems to be competent at challenges, she is not Jonathon, but who else is, but she contributes to the psychical bits. She didn’t need to be rescued by Jonathan in the water challenge, unlike Maryann and Omar. She seems to get along fine with everyone at camp but is low drama. Which means we have not seen much of her. We see Maryann and her over the top reactions to breathing, Jonathon playing Aquaman, and Omar with his quirky relationship and trying to contain Maryann. 

And we have not heard anything about the amulets because none of the holders have been voted out and they do nothing until all the holders are together. I suspect Hai, Lindsey, and Drea are the first three targets if they make it to the merge because of the amulets. The other two will want them out ASAP.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2022 at 11:13 AM, fishcakes said:

He's seems awfully well-adjusted for someone who was raised by the Great Santini.

Damned if I wasn’t going to post the exact same thing, Great Santini and all.  🤣🤣🤣

On 4/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, fishcakes said:

Years ago, Jeff said in an interview that players are always coming up with loopholes and if they just exploit the loophole, then he would allow it, but if they asked if they could do it beforehand, he'd say no. He said Colby in particular was always thinking about faster ways to do things, but the problem was he'd ask Jeff if it was okay so Jeff would say no. He was talking specifically about challenges, but I could see them adopting the same philosophy with respect to advantages.

One of the longest standing maxims of both government and military service: “It’s better (and easier) to ask forgiveness than ask permission.”

• Love 5
On 4/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, nlkm9 said:

I am so over all this. we all know that the powers that be try their darndest to place idols in the path of the folks they are rooting for, often very randomly. this beware idol is ridiculous. How about a season with no ridiculous advantages and no idols and see what happens. my only confusion is, so eseentially noone knows these idol holders have no vote? is what they some are disobeying the rules?? 

We saw the previous week that the entire tribe with Mike and Chanelle knew that they didn't vote at that Tribal Council. I can't remember if we were shown discussion involving Hai and Lydia as to why that was. The rest of that tribe (Mike, Daniel and Chanelle) knows that Mike is voteless until the Merge. I don't know if they know that Chanelle now has her vote back.

I don't know if Maryanne has told anyone she found the Beware Idol. But given the predilection the last couple seasons to share word of any advantage and Maryanne's general extroverted nature, I would be very surprised if she keeps it a secret for long.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:52 AM, Haleth said:

YES!  This bugs me since the people on the other tribes don't know the person who was voted out so it should be a big shrug from everyone. (Unless a tribe votes out someone big and strong like Jonathan; that would get a shocked reaction from the other tribes.  But someone like Jenny?  Did anyone even remember there was a Jenny on that tribe?)

I dunno.  We could always ask Zach, I reckon….

(Wait a minute… who’s Zach…?)

(EXACTLY.)

🤡

• LOL 2
On 4/1/2022 at 4:41 PM, ProfCrash said:

And then it turns into how risk averse are you? If you think you are in trouble or being without a vote makes you nervous, you are willing to say the phrase at every challenge. If you are risk acceptant, then you don't and wait for the idol to activate at the merge. 

But Mike already doesn't have a vote. Why not say the phrase?

(edited)
2 hours ago, himela said:

But Mike already doesn't have a vote. Why not say the phrase?

Possibly because saying the phrase lets the two idol holders on the other tribes (and whatever allies they've told about it) know that you have an idol, so they might target you come the merge to flush it out. By never saying the phrase, you keep your idol a secret from "the enemy".

And Mike feels that he is safe on his tribe, so not having a vote doesn't bother him. Risky, but playing out well for him so far.

Edited by tracyscott76
Just now, tracyscott76 said:

Possibly because saying the phrase lets the two idol holders on the other tribes (and whatever allies they've told about it) know that you have an idol, so they might target you come the merge to flush it out. By never saying the phrase, you keep your idol a secret from "the enemy".

I get what you are saying but now Maryanne is being stupid for having shown all her cards by simply doing the correct thing. If a third person from the other tribe finds the idol and they also choose not to say the phrase, Maryanne will be damned because she did the right thing but she doesn't have a vote and she doesn't know she has an idol.

I think and expect soon the producers to intervene and end this mess or else I think they are being ridiculed.

3 minutes ago, himela said:

I get what you are saying but now Maryanne is being stupid for having shown all her cards by simply doing the correct thing. If a third person from the other tribe finds the idol and they also choose not to say the phrase, Maryanne will be damned because she did the right thing but she doesn't have a vote and she doesn't know she has an idol.

I think and expect soon the producers to intervene and end this mess or else I think they are being ridiculed.

Not sure what you mean by saying Maryanne "doesn't know she has an idol", but if the producers were going to intervene, I think they would have by now. Since they haven't, they're clearly letting it play out. I certainly see the argument that Maryanne is being punished, in a sense, for her strict reading of the rules, but I can also see the show just saying "Mike (and Daniel) found a loophole, Maryanne didn't. Them's the breaks."

15 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Not sure what you mean by saying Maryanne "doesn't know she has an idol"

Sorry I did not explain it right.

Maryanne has the one part of the three way idol. If all three parts are found, then Maryanne has a working idol.

At the moment only one has been found but Maryanne doesn't know it. If the third part is found and the third person decides to say nothing like Mike did, Maryanne will be in the position of having exposed her idol to the other tribes, of having a valid idol since all three will have been found and not know that she at that moment will have an idol.

So I wonder if all three have been found but only Maryanne says her phrase, what happens if Maryanne goes to tribal? Will she or won't she get a vote? Will she or won't she have an idol?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, himela said:

Sorry I did not explain it right.

Maryanne has the one part of the three way idol. If all three parts are found, then Maryanne has a working idol.

At the moment only one has been found but Maryanne doesn't know it. If the third part is found and the third person decides to say nothing like Mike did, Maryanne will be in the position of having exposed her idol to the other tribes, of having a valid idol since all three will have been found and not know that she at that moment will have an idol.

So I wonder if all three have been found but only Maryanne says her phrase, what happens if Maryanne goes to tribal? Will she or won't she get a vote? Will she or won't she have an idol?

OK, I think I see what you mean.

The idols are not activated once all three are found. The instructions that came with the idol state that all three phrases must be said at the same challenge for the idols to be valid. So if things stay as they are (until the merge), and Maryanne is the only one who says her phrase and she goes to tribal, she will not have a working idol, and she will not have a vote. And she will be fully aware of that, because of what the instructions say.

Once the merge happens, any of the three idols that were found will become working idols, whether or not the phrases were ever said.

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

OK, I think I see what you mean.

The idols are not activated once all three are found. The instructions that came with the idol state that all three phrases must be said at the same challenge for the idols to be valid. So if things stay as they are (until the merge), and Maryanne is the only one who says her phrase and she goes to tribal, she will not have a working idol, and she will not have a vote. And she will be fully aware of that, because of what the instructions say.

Once the merge happens, any of the three idols that were found will become working idols, whether or not the phrases were ever said.

Hope that helps!

Excellent explanation, @tracyscott76.  A few other points for consideration:

1. The 3WI scrolls each (a) list all three Tribe-specific code phrases , and (b) say the recipient “must” say their Tribe-specific code phrase at the next IC - so since Maryanne has already said her 3WI code phrase at an IC (twice, actually) she doesn’t need to keep saying it.  Any person on the other tribes who find and accept their 3WI clue should  immediately recognize the significance of Maryanne’s previous utterances and respond in kind, so Maryanne need not keep going on about that damn rabbit in the mailbox unless she hears one or more of the other code phrases.
  2. Mike’s recalcitrance to say his phrase at IC is penny-wise and pound-foolish; has it not occurred to him the third 3WI holder might be holding back for the same reason?
  3. I still don’t understand how/why Mike is being permitted his dodge around the 3WI’s stated conditions - and frankly at this point, I kinda hope he draws a penalty for it.
  • Love 3

I know Mike said that he doesn't care for soccer and who knows if he or Daniel told anyone else on the tribe, but I feel like it wouldn't be a bad decision to talk at least a little about soccer at camp so his phrase doesn't seem so weird. This of course also depends on if any of his tribemates know about soccer and him not having knowledge would be a giveaway.

I think the show wanted us to see Jonathan talking about his ather instilling "the value of strength" in him as a good thing.

Meanwhile I'm here thinking, if your childhood reminds me of the origin-story of Peacemaker, that's not a good thing, that's child abuse.

Everybody is so impressed with him in challanges. In a normal season I would have said: "Eh, not a gram of fat. He'll flame out and be a puddle on the floor by day 30." But now there are no 30 days and he might actually be effective throughout this thing. The shorter season changes a lot.

Edited by PurpleTentacle