Type keyword(s) to search

S10:E12: Dolly's Journey

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Dolly's mother had custody of the granddaughter within days of her being born, and had permanet custody since the little girl was a year old, because the judge ruled both parents were unfit.    Unfortunately, since Dolly lived there, and grandma worked, the little girl was already obese, and she was only three years old.   

I was shocked to find out that Cheyanne was only a friend of Dolly's for a year. 

I don't think Dolly could ever follow the rules for a group home, or any kind of supervised living situation.   She was tossed out of Job Corps, and I'm betting everything else she ever did.   

I think at one point Dr Now hinted that Dolly chose companions based on what they could do for her and she chose Cheyanne as an enabling partner.  Poor Cheyenne was used as a cook/maid/ass cleaner.  Dr. Now didn’t want to hurt cheyennes feelings. 
She also lost a tiny bit of weight because moving out of her mothers house made her lose her live in cook and money to buy 15 eggs.  She only had food stamps to feed one normal eater.  

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

I think at one point Dr Now hinted that Dolly chose companions based on what they could do for her and she chose Cheyanne as an enabling partner.  Poor Cheyenne was used as a cook/maid/ass cleaner.  Dr. Now didn’t want to hurt cheyennes feelings. 
She also lost a tiny bit of weight because moving out of her mothers house made her lose her live in cook and money to buy 15 eggs.  She only had food stamps to feed one normal eater.  

And, didn't the food stamps come compliments of the newly-minted "fiance?"

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm having a difficult time getting past them not recognizing the red flags for going in that sqatters place. You'd think at least one of them would notice something wasn't quite right. They just seemed grateful to have a place to stay.

The hotel room they went back to wasn't much better. I saw many sheer spots in the worn out drapes letting light through from outside.

• Love 7

I'm a big fan of her mom, especially after that dead-on speech in Dr. Now's office toward the end. And god bless her for taking care of her granddaughter.

But she kept saying she only gave Dolly a normal portion of healthy food. That's not what we saw on camera. There was a scene well into the supposed weight loss program where she handed Dolly a plate of what looked like several quesadillas piled on top of each other. Or something that looked like that, definitely not on the plan. 

I can't fault her for much for trying and caving in to the demands of her very dysfunctional daughter, though.

Also, when they were discussing how the mother had recently lost 200 pounds, I was surprised they made no mention of how. Did she have surgery? Did she just get tough with a diet and excercise plan? I mean, it's kind of relevant in the moment.

I was fascinated by the look on Dolly's face every time Dr. Now was talking to her. It was so... odd, like she was a child trying to understand the words of a grownup. 

• Love 17
49 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

I was fascinated by the look on Dolly's face every time Dr. Now was talking to her. It was so... odd, like she was a child trying to understand the words of a grownup. 

speaking Pig Latin

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

What an episode. I think my mouth was dropped open for most of the show. I've known women with intellectual disabilities, and in an ideal world, everybody with these problems would have many supportive family members and access to suitable education and jobs. It can be hard on the family members helping the people with IDs.

Somebody mentioned Hello Dolly in chat. I think we can also say Good Golly Miss Dolly!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Bluesky said:

And those 15 eggs were for one breakfast! The best line of the whole show, for me, was when Cheyanne divided the 15 eggs between them (7 1/2 eggs each) and then Dolly asked her if she could have some more of hers, before they even had started eating! And Cheyanne GAVE them to her!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I was amazed at that breakfast.   15 eggs, an entire package of sausage links, a huge pile of shredded cheese melted on top, big buttered chunk of bread, and either milk or some sugary stuff in a huge measuring pitcher.     Her diet after her Dr. Now visit was almost as bad.   That huge pile of broccoli with mounds of Velveeta, quesadillas, and who knows what she had off camera.    

At the beginning I felt sorry for Dolly, but she never tried to do anything, had her daughter removed from her custody, kept switching losers, from the ex, to the homeless guy, and who knows else, and was thoroughly despicable. 

I felt so sorry for the camera crew, Dr. Paradise, and Dr. Now having to cope with Dolly and her lack of hygiene.    

Dolly is a permanent victim, never grateful for any help, and will never do anything to help herself.     I'm just glad her mother has full custody of the baby, and the child isn't being dragged around her sketchy boyfriends.     

• Love 10

Dolly is lazy, unhygienic, selfish and way too sexual.  Mom needs to definitely keep her out of her house.  The little girl needs to be focused on, especially her weight.  Dolly is a master manipulator and needs to get help somewhere else.  With some addicts, the family has to save themselves.  You can only put up with the same repetitive behavior just so long.  Dolly is only interested in food and men, nothing else.

• Love 6

I didn't get a sense that Rainbow Granny really wanted to take over legal responsibility for the grandchild, but she certainly wouldn't have trouble getting custody if a judge saw this show.

Rainbow Granny has legal custody of the grandchild - since she was six days old. The judge ruled Dolly and bio dad incompetent.

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I’m rewatching this and I don’t know why it didn’t hit me last night but I think Cheyenne may either be in love with Dolly or have a huge crush on her. 

I think many of us viewers got that impression

• Love 11
1 hour ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I’m rewatching this and I don’t know why it didn’t hit me last night but I think Cheyenne may either be in love with Dolly or have a huge crush on her. 

At first I thought they were a couple.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don’t live in the US but I wonder if there are government run facilities where Dolly could live and be taught basic lifestyle skills and maybe even be placed in some kind of job opportunity suitable to her limited abilities.  

She was in Job Corps, but her mom said her lack of hygiene became problematic.

This episode was amazing. I couldn’t even get up to get snacks or else I’d miss Dolly’s new man or new living arrangements. I could not stop laughing at her insistence that Dr. Now would grant her the surgery every time she came to his office.

Dr. Now: Are you employed yet?

Dolly: He gets disability.

Dr. Now: Where are you living?

Dolly: He gets food stamps. Can I have my surgery now?

If only Dr. Now had heard about the one load of laundry that Dolly did with Cheyenne, I believe he would’ve performed her surgery.

• LOL 16
  • Love 6

Oh my . What a train wreck! I think Dolly said she was diagnosed with ADHD, oppositional defiance disorder and bipolar disorder, all in kindergarten? I thought that the last two couldn’t be diagnosed before adolescence. No wonder she was non compliant. Was she in special education as a kid ? I’m also wondering how her mother lost 200 lbs and what the dynamics were when Dolly was a little kid. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, silversage said:

I'm having a difficult time getting past them not recognizing the red flags for going in that squatter's place. You'd think at least one of them would notice something wasn't quite right. They just seemed grateful to have a place to stay.

In fact, she said , "Froggie and I have found a place and it's just perfect for us".

THAT is a very low bar!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ShoePrincess said:

That was several shit shows, multiple train wrecks, and  40 car pile-up on the interstate contained in a single episode.

I have no hope for Dolly. She just wants the magic to happen without any work on her part.

Dolly's understanding of the surgery was so minimal (other than magic) that she strikes me as a post operative risk. I think she would blow her stiches out and bleed to death because she would never have the patience or aptitude to live on a liquid diet for a few weeks while she healed.

• Love 11

Yikes, what an episode...  I buy a season pass on iTunes, and each episode gets released just after midnight Thursday (West Coast time), so I can't make it to the Live Chat but I do love reading along with the fabulous snarkery while watching.

Dolly reminds me of Nicole. Next time she's seeking a new best friend, they should get together and bond.

Dr. Paradise was somewhat over-optimistic with that homework. If you told a 10-year-old to "find a place to live, interview the landlord, maybe go visit somewhere and take a look at the apartment" — would it really be surprising if they ended up renting a room in a hovel?

But I think what I'll always remember about Dolly is this: “I don’t blame the ducks.”

Did the show write those lines, or could this actually be something approximating Dolly's real inner monologue? What she's like when she waxes philosophical.

Just savoring, is all. 😵

“I say that I'm going to go get some exercise, but then I don't really exercise, because I'm too tired usually. So instead I like to feed the birds or the ducks. Sometimes I wish I was one of them, because they just eat whatever, as much as they can. And their moms help them eat. And it feels unfair that I have this problem, but I don't blame the ducks. I just feel trapped with my mom.”

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

This was another episode that I think might have been in the can for quite awhile because I could see absolutely no visible of verbal reference to COVID.

All things considered, I could see why the producers (Dr. Now's son's company) sought to deprive us of the experience of viewing the likes of Dolly and her hangers on until the exact right time.

The issue that concerned me the most was how overweight the little girl appeared. 

I noted that Dolly started her downward spiral into the gargantuan shape she's in today when she was about the age of her daughter.  Her mother was her caregiver and, apparently had her own weight challenges (that she was able to correct on her own some years ago).

I agree with the poster upthread who mentioned that Dolly's mother didn't seem overly excited about raising her granddaughter.  I agree with that assessment.  

That was the takeaway I got from this episode.  I deleted it as soon as it ended.  I had enough!

• Love 5

During the laundry scene Dolly’s voiceover is saying how she left her mom’s house and refuses to go back and yet Mom’s rainbow top is CLEARLY seen with the rest of the clothes. Later Mom told either Dr Paradise or Dr Now, I forget who, that Dolly kept leaving and coming back, leaving and coming back. So the laundry scene had to have been when she was back with her mom despite the voiceover, right? These shows are edited and cobbled together so weird, mixing up the timelines, I never know what’s going on.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Missed the live chat so here’s some takes from the DVR viewing.

My eating habit tonight was leftover Ninja roasted cauliflower and some sous-vide chicken with green curry sauce. Today I hit 17 lbs lost since Nov. 14. Almost to my pre COVID weight. More to go after that goal. 

Holy bowl of sausages! This poundticipant can really put away breakfast! First impressions are - a lot of psychological damage. A lot of codependency. Probably a lot of resistance and denial once we get to the Dr. Now part of the show.

Mom seems off two minds - she can see the damage, but she’s protective (coddling). 

“At this point in my life I know I’m killing myself with food.”

I believe her. 

Edited by Scratches19
Typo
  • Love 6

Finally got to watch and I’m just gobsmacked. I didn’t think they could top  Lacey’s “journey” but in many ways they did. I kept having to stop and take screen shots of Dolly’s facial expressions. 

B37CAE35-4BD5-4971-A801-C0BB08BC0CEF.jpeg

2B64D025-A880-4336-B731-1B60A95808B2.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I think it’s better for the world if Dolly remains morbidly obese and keeps that Fupa (learned a new word today) otherwise she’d be procreating with the first homeless jobless uneducated male that crosses her path. 

I don’t live in the US but I wonder if there are government run facilities where Dolly could live and be taught basic lifestyle skills and maybe even be placed in some kind of job opportunity suitable to her limited abilities.  She obviously requires some sort of supervised living arrangement.  
I hope her daughter gets a chance at a good decent life.  I felt sorry for all of them.

My state has group homes and other supportive residential options for people with serious mental illness and/or developmental disabilities. Dolly seems to have both. Texas is a large, wealthy state and likely has hood services for SMI and DD. She may qualify.  These services could help her gain independence. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, auntjess said:

It was in a class with filthy Jeanne.  Remember her?  The 2 are vying for dirtiest 600 lbers.

Referred to in this forum as "No Hy-Jeanne". Some smart snarker came up with that one.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, SomeWords said:

But I think what I'll always remember about Dolly is this: “I don’t blame the ducks.”

I plan to start using this statement frequently.  Just casually drop it into conversations.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, magemaud said:

A cozy moment at the hotel. Didn’t she say she had slept in a homeless shelter ONE night? That’s where she met Phillip. They must have moved in together the next day? 

DD35F72E-6F6F-4953-A76F-F37620D26720.jpeg

She knew him one day and moved in with him! Ugh. But, hey, he has food stamps and disability checks.... what a catch. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

My state has group homes and other supportive residential options for people with serious mental illness and/or developmental disabilities. Dolly seems to have both. Texas is a large, wealthy state and likely has hood services for SMI and DD. She may qualify.  These services could help her gain independence. 

Yes, there are services; HOWEVER, Dolly needs to have the initiative and motivation to seek them out and COMPLY with the rules they impose. 

It's a complicated system to navigate and Dolly needs an advocate to assist her; however, she'll need to do her part.  I wish her good luck!!

• Love 4

I'm not being intentionally sarcastic here . . . just curious.

If you are allowed into a residence for people with mental illness or developmental disabilities, are you allowed to eat as much as 5 people?  They have budgets which, I assume, are based on the number of residents.  If it were a small group home, having someone like Dolly there could easily double their food budget if she's allowed to eat all she wants.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not being intentionally sarcastic here . . . just curious.

If you are allowed into a residence for people with mental illness or developmental disabilities, are you allowed to eat as much as 5 people?  They have budgets which, I assume, are based on the number of residents.  If it were a small group home, having someone like Dolly there could easily double their food budget if she's allowed to eat all she wants.

Places like that are on strict budgets, I'm sure. 

• Love 4

Dolly may be smart, but she's very clever at getting people to support her, and take care of her.    When her mother was sick of her, then she went back to the ex, and then on to Phillip.   People like Dolly are users, and always find someone to use.   She could never cope with a situation with rules.   I'm wondering if the ex was really abusive, or he just got sick of her sitting around, and complaining?    I think Dolly will always find another person to leach off of.  

I doubt Dolly will ever follow anyone's rules.  She's been thrown out of Job Corps, her mother, and who knows how many other situations.     She does what she wants, and always finds someone to enable her. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

She knew him one day and moved in with him! Ugh. But, hey, he has food stamps and disability checks.... what a catch.

Furthermore, IIRC, she slept in the homeless shelter the same night she moved out of Ricky's! Chick doesn't lose any time hooking up! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 8

Wow. Wow. Wow.  Whoever was responsible for casting Dolly and her merry band of clowns deserves a bonus.  It's going to be quite a challenge to top the entertainment value of this crew.  The hair! The clothes (and accessories)! The Fupa!  The mother talked as if she had a good head on her shoulders, but she looked like a member of the Lollipop Guild from The Wizard of Oz.  My, my, my, that was quite the show. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Places like that are on strict budgets, I'm sure. 

I think they all vary. Some probably prepare meals and provide the food while others might require residents to purchase and prepare their own food. But yeah - this could definitely be a concern for Dolly.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

are you allowed to eat as much as 5 people? 

Pre Covid I volunteered at a soup kitchen and you could not get extra food. You could get more bread, but that was all. They were very very strict on that rule.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

I know that this is cruel, but whenever Dolly curled her bulk up sideways on a bed or couch, with just her tiny feet sticking out, did anyone else think of Jabba the Hutt?  

I agree also.  Can't really blame her--I wouldn't want to start all over again in my 50s, all the while dealing with a grown up toddler.  She did at least realize that it was bad for the little girl to have mommy dropping in and out of her life like a jack in the box.  If Dolly somehow has another kid (shudder) then I would hand said child over to social services.  Enough is enough. (I have known families that have taken in one child after another from errant family members.  Until, they finally reach a point where they just can't any more.)

My only comment is that if it was even a REMOTE POSSIBILTIY that grandma was not 100% committed to raising the little girl, the SOONER another permanent arrangement could be found (maybe an open adoption) the BETTER.

That's because the LONGER they subject the precious child to a home that may be borderline committed, the more emotional/physical/spiritual and intellectual damage probably will be inflicted upon her. 

The fact that the child is already noticeably overweight should really raise red flags with grandma!!

6 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

My only comment is that if it was even a REMOTE POSSIBILTIY that grandma was not 100% committed to raising the little girl, the SOONER another permanent arrangement could be found (maybe an open adoption) the BETTER.

That's because the LONGER they subject the precious child to a home that may be borderline committed, the more emotional/physical/spiritual and intellectual damage probably will be inflicted upon her. 

The fact that the child is already noticeably overweight should really raise red flags with grandma!!

I think grandma's heart is in the right place in the sense that she isn't abandoning her grand daughter to live in whatever hovel her mother moves into and she probably does love her but what is best for that child. Will Dolly be bouncing in and out of her life? Is she going to end up just the same? 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, edie3 said:

Pre Covid I volunteered at a soup kitchen and you could not get extra food. You could get more bread, but that was all. They were very very strict on that rule.

I agree. 

I know a lot about these types of placements because I worked on the defense side of the criminal justice system for MANY (too many😀) YEARS and many of my clients were homeless.  The placement facility will NOT indulge a resident with endless amounts of food BUT in some of the placements they had vending machines that the resident could use (with social services $$ or family $$) to supplement their meal allotments with snacks.

Also, (for what it's worth), it's the same in jail/prison.  The inmate gets an apportioned amount of food at each meal.  However, there are extensive "canteen" choices that are available.  These items are purchased either from wages the inmate receives from working (usually at the rate of about 30 cents/hr) OR contributions from family/friends into the inmate's account. 

On that basis an inmate like Dolly could purchase any amount of food she could afford. 

HOWEVER, (and I hope Dolly is reading this😄) her size (and body odor) would be a tremendous problem for her in jail/prison because she would (from my experience) be abused unmercifully  by the other women on a variety of levels. 

Let's all hope Dolly never runs afoul of the law!!!

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Dolly's mom is a badass. You have to have lifetime supply of DGAF to be that out and proud in working-class Texas. Speaking of which, Dolly thinks her mom isn't a lesbian, but just bisexual? Um, Dolly...I realize that your mom is not a gold star, but even without the mohawk, no gayer butch has ever straddled a Harley. If "Don't Mess With Texas" were a person, we just met her on this show.

Who here watches Intervention? Remember Jessie with bulimia, who had become a stripper to pay for her cake habit? We learned that she tried going to college and joined a sorority, and in the first month, she ate food meant for 50 girls and got kicked out. That's what would happen if Dolly went into a group home, only without the purging step.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23