Type keyword(s) to search

S10:E12: Dolly's Journey

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, HotHW said:

So mom got custody of the baby when she was 6 days old. What the eff could they have been doing at 6 days old that they took her kid away? I'm certainly not complaining, just a bit surprised as she didn't admit up front to any substance abuse etc. 

Anyone else's show have such loud background music over their voices? Or are they all just that softspoken? Or do I have random selective deafness??

I've noticed the sound issues with the background music for a long time.    I don't know why they broadcast it that way but it's very common. 

I suspect there were drug issues with Dolly and her boyfriend, and the baby was in NICU from birth going through withdrawal, and if Dolly's mother hadn't agreed to take the baby, then she would have been in foster care. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, HotHW said:

Anyone else's show have such loud background music over their voices? Or are they all just that softspoken? Or do I have random selective deafness??

I haven't noticed it being louder, however I have been paying attention to the music track.  It's pretty damned funny.

• Love 1

What the eff could they have been doing at 6 days old that they took her kid away?

The baby testing positive for substances at birth is most likely. There wasn't opportunity for Dolly to neglect the baby at six days - considering they likely spent the baby's first two to four days in the hospital, but Dolly could have exhibited concerning enough behavior while in the hospital that the staff involved social services prior to discharge. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I haven't noticed it being louder, however I have been paying attention to the music track.  It's pretty damned funny.

As a musician/music lover, I have named some of the prominent themes repeated throughout the many episodes.  And yes, you are allowed to roll your eyes.

40 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

As a musician/music lover, I have named some of the prominent themes repeated throughout the many episodes. 

I've always wondered who composed this stuff! I'm curious what name you've given to the "traveling music" with the piano arpeggios. I've noticed now they've added some percussion to it. Do you think it's for sale on Pandora? 

for your listening pleasure: 

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/my-600-lb-life-sad-keyboard-music

13 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

@magemaud, your princess toast avatar matches Dolly's hair!

And we don't know what's IN her hair, either! 

But I really came here to correct my timeline. I thought she had met Phillip at the shelter the night before she went to Ricky's, but on rewatching, I'm wrong. She said she left her mother's house, went to a shelter for one night and THEN she moved in with Ricky and her sister wife. I believe she went back to the shelter (instead of her mother's) after she left Ricky and that's when she met Phillip and later moved to a Houston hotel with him. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4

Holy shit I was rewatching this shit show ( I missed a lot during live chat) and there is a huge cockroach on the counter when she is cooking the ham! If it is out there during the day with the cameras there imagine what the infestation must be like! How many people live there? Momma, Dolly, trinity, the friend and moms wife? Jesus Christ

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Roxie said:

Do tell??

She explains she moved out to be homeless with her boyfriend, but then says her husband broke her oxygen intake before she moved in with the boyfriend. Dr. Paradise’s face was golden, he had to ask her to slow down because he was confused. He literally shook his head at one point.

another question is how did Phillip and Dolly fit in that tiny bed?

“I lost 40 pounds, that is almost 60” 😂 No…

it isn’t 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

She explains she moved out to be homeless with her boyfriend, but then says her husband broke her oxygen intake before she moved in with the boyfriend. Dr. Paradise’s face was golden, he had to ask her to slow down because he was confused. He literally shook his head at one point.

it isn’t 

I think Dr. Paradise's brain may have actually exploded during that scene!! 😳 🤯🤣

If he ever writes a book about his experience doing this show, I'm going to be first in line to buy it!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Holy shit I was rewatching this shit show ( I missed a lot during live chat) and there is a huge cockroach on the counter when she is cooking the ham! If it is out there during the day with the cameras there imagine what the infestation must be like! How many people live there? Momma, Dolly, trinity, the friend and moms wife? Jesus Christ

I fast forwarding through the Supersized episode to just watch the bonus scenes.  I also rewatched the last scene at Dr. Now's when Mother Dolly laid the smack down on her.  But I still haven't deleted the original episode from my dvr because I really need to watch the whole thing again.  I feel like I may have recovered enough from what I did see the first time that I can handle it now LOL!! 

I need to carve out some time for that this weekend I think....

• Love 2
15 hours ago, mmecorday said:

@magemaud, your princess toast avatar matches Dolly's hair!

@Hellga, your post with the goldfish ... I laughed so hard!

Hey, they look almost the same!  But goldfish never whine or say anything stupid, eat a lot less, and don't require nearly as much clean-up! :)

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, magemaud said:

I've always wondered who composed this stuff! I'm curious what name you've given to the "traveling music" with the piano arpeggios. I've noticed now they've added some percussion to it. Do you think it's for sale on Pandora? 

And we don't know what's IN her hair, either! 

But I really came here to correct my timeline. I thought she had met Phillip at the shelter the night before she went to Ricky's, but on rewatching, I'm wrong. She said she left her mother's house, went to a shelter for one night and THEN she moved in with Ricky and her sister wife. I believe she went back to the shelter (instead of her mother's) after she left Ricky and that's when she met Phillip and later moved to a Houston hotel with him. 

Broken (Philip) Glasses.

That's a great article.  Thanks.

Edited by fonfereksglen
Spelling
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2022 at 10:31 AM, Elizzikra said:

The baby testing positive for substances at birth is most likely. There wasn't opportunity for Dolly to neglect the baby at six days - considering they likely spent the baby's first two to four days in the hospital, but Dolly could have exhibited concerning enough behavior while in the hospital that the staff involved social services prior to discharge. 

This, or Dolly and her husband/father of the baby refused to take the baby home, Dolly may have left the hospital without her daughter. My Mom was an Ob/Gyn for 46yrs (just retired) and she saw a number of women who would leave the infant in the hospital. If that happens the baby goes to foster care unless a relative steps up and is deemed acceptable to care for the infant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

but Dolly could have exhibited concerning enough behavior while in the hospital that the staff involved social services prior to discharge. 

Nurses may have noticed that Dolly displayed far more interest in the hospital food than the baby.

Edited by Kenzie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 1/28/2022 at 9:52 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

it isn’t 

That scene was priceless. And it came after the visit to Dr. Now when she thought he might go ahead and approve her for surgery because, among her other innumerable accomplishments, she hadn’t been using her oxygen “as much.” Well I guess not, if your polygamous husband broke it. 
That was the visit when, y’know, instead of approving her for surgery he sent her to Dr. Paradise because of her odd choices and behavior 🤣

• Love 4
On 1/25/2022 at 12:12 PM, FormeryHeavyJ said:

I wasn't allowed to touch my Mom's washing machine......ever.  She was afraid everyone would "break it".  I was finally allowed to use the washing machine to help her out when my parents retired & relocated, my Dad passed and she was living alone.  That was 12 years ago.....when I was 44 years old.

No I didn't break it.

I had to use the old wringer washer when I was 10 years old. Wish I could have broke that thing!

• Love 2
On 1/28/2022 at 12:38 PM, magemaud said:

The composer of the 600 lb life music is named Hamburger? Stop it.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 1/31/2022 at 7:25 PM, CringeWatcher said:

That scene was priceless. And it came after the visit to Dr. Now when she thought he might go ahead and approve her for surgery because, among her other innumerable accomplishments, she hadn’t been using her oxygen “as much.” Well I guess not, if your polygamous husband broke it. 
That was the visit when, y’know, instead of approving her for surgery he sent her to Dr. Paradise because of her odd choices and behavior 🤣

But…but…she never got to tell him that she did her own laundry…if she did then surely he would have approved her for Surgery

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I did watch a little of the bonus episode because I wanted to see what Dolly’s mom did that was soo egregious that she just had to go back to Ricky’s. She said that her mom was telling her that she needed to eat better. That was the offense. She left the safety of her mother’s home and abandoned her child to go back to her allegedly abusive husband all because her mom was telling her to make better food choices.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 2

Just got this one in the UK, just started watching and I wanna say, when Dr Now told her how much she should weigh at 5’2 she looked stunned. Like, you KNOW you’re overweight right?? 😂😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, Selina said:

Just got this one in the UK, just started watching and I wanna say, when Dr Now told her how much she should weigh at 5’2 she looked stunned. Like, you KNOW you’re overweight right?? 😂😂

So much YES.

And what I'd really love to see is Dr. Now providing a picture to back that up. A picture might help the message sink in for Dolly and plenty of other poundticipants.

There's probably software that can do this, and people with the skills to make it happen.

Let's say Dr. Now shows Dolly an image of her 5'2" self at 120 pounds.

And gives her two printouts of the image to take home: one to stick on the refrigerator door, and one to hang up next to a mirror. 🧐

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, SomeWords said:

Let's say Dr. Now shows Dolly an image of her 5'2" self at 120 pounds.

And gives her two printouts of the image to take home: one to stick on the refrigerator door, and one to hang up next to a mirror. 🧐

I would bet that she would think the 120lbs picture is what she looks like now, and would just toss the other one. 

• LOL 4

Don't often see ham slices dipped in Velveeta. Wasn't aware that was on Dr. Now's diet.

So putting a couple of clothing articles inside a washing machine, then letting her BFF do most of the work, constitutes an "achievement" worthy of WLS?

I loved at the end when Dolly Mama's frustrations just came spilling out. I think Dr. Now was a little taken aback by her raw anger. When she started to apologize, he kind of paused before telling her he didn't mind. I've read stories about grandparents raising their grandkids: to a person, they talk about how much they love their grandkids, but are also resentful at being forced into parenting again when they just wanted to enjoy their lives.

Question: On the Live thread, people were referring to someone being left behind at a gas station. Was that a previous poundticipant? If so, who?

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Question: On the Live thread, people were referring to someone being left behind at a gas station. Was that a previous poundticipant? If so, who?

That was Lacey.     She's the one that pooped her pants, and Ricky (her boyfriend), and Sharon (his sister) figured out she was lying about everything, and after arguing for many miles, left her at a big gas station near the interstate.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I need to add that I'm talking about Lacey from this season, not the Lacey from Michigan (I think Michigan), that was a season or two ago.  

Dolly will never change.   However, she has added the gourmet delicacy of dipping ham slices in Velveeta to our menus. 

• LOL 2
On 1/20/2022 at 9:35 PM, pdlinda said:

This was another episode that I think might have been in the can for quite awhile because I could see absolutely no visible of verbal reference to COVID.

All things considered, I could see why the producers (Dr. Now's son's company) sought to deprive us of the experience of viewing the likes of Dolly and her hangers on until the exact right time.

The issue that concerned me the most was how overweight the little girl appeared. 

I noted that Dolly started her downward spiral into the gargantuan shape she's in today when she was about the age of her daughter.  Her mother was her caregiver and, apparently had her own weight challenges (that she was able to correct on her own some years ago).

I agree with the poster upthread who mentioned that Dolly's mother didn't seem overly excited about raising her granddaughter.  I agree with that assessment.  

That was the takeaway I got from this episode.  I deleted it as soon as it ended.  I had enough!

The most redeeming part of this sad waste of airtime.

• Love 1
On 1/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, HotHW said:

Anyone else's show have such loud background music over their voices? Or are they all just that soft-spoken? Or do I have random selective deafness??

It's not just you.

More and more programing seems to be raising the level of background "music" to levels as high or higher than the conversation and it's really annoying. I wonder if it's partly because producers are getting younger all the time and they grew up with video games heavy on action sound?

I have excellent hearing, I don't need Closed Captioning but I often hit mute and use the CC just to get relief from the noise.

HGTV and TLC are especially guilty of using loud, jangly, high on repetitive percussion notes to fill air space. Survivor, the newer Forensic Files and Restaurant Impossible are also guilty of background noise pollution. I think they assume we are children who will quickly lose interest if we aren't constantly assaulted with sound to keep us awake. 

One reason I prefer PBS programming is the music is truly in the background and is used to enhance the program instead of drowning it out.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Dolly episode is rerunning.    How sad that Dolly can't change her life, her mother did, but now the granddaughter is being raised to have a bad relationship with food.  I hope watching this show was a moment where the grandmother realized that she needed to change the home environment for the grandchild's benefit. 

How disgusting that her first husband was so horrible to Dolly.   It's so sad that Dolly just goes from one bad situation to another bad situation.   Going back to the ex- or almost ex- was scary.   

So, when Dolly first meets with Dr. Now, she absolutely lies to him.  Blaming everything on the first husband, when she was over 400 by the time she was 20. 

That Italian Creme Cake looks so wonderful at that little grocery.

That trap house she moved into for one day with Phillip was very scary.   I bet the camera crew told them to get out. 

Dolly getting into bad relationships over and over is scary.     

Dolly doesn't like being told the truth by Dr. Now, her mother, or Dr. Paradise.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm watching the rerun of Dolly's episode on TLC.   Dipping ham slices in Velvetta is certainly an interesting choice of dining.   And the friend cooking 15 eggs for Dolly's breakfast is stunning.   

I can't believe she went back to the husband, with his current live-in there, and then immediately moved on to the new boyfriend with the frog back pack.    Then, moving in with the boyfriend to what looked like a drug house.  I bet the camera crew told Dolly and boyfriend to leave right now, and I hope the local SWAT team busted that house the next day.  I also noticed that someone was using the privacy fence for a clothesline. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I just tuned into the Dolly episode, and I'd forgotten how much of a circus it was.  There was something I noticed this time around that I believe I missed the first time.  I even went back through this thread to see if anyone else mentioned it.

Did anyone else notice this big yellow banner on the door to the crack house? Did everyone but me see it? And yes, it says what you think it says.  

Dolly.jpg

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, cynicat said:

Did anyone else notice this big yellow banner on the door to the crack house? Did everyone but me see it? And yes, it says what you think it says.  

Dolly.jpg

I didn't notice it! I'm really surprised that I didn't. We have that same sign for moving our farm equipment. 🚜 😃

• Like 2