Type keyword(s) to search

S10:E12: Dolly's Journey

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Sile said:

Skoda, Farmer's Guy, Oscar Winner...

But to me he'll always be good ol' Vern Schillinger!

He also plays William Frawley in the new Being the Ricardos movie on Amazon. JK Simmons is one of the best actors out there in my opinion.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I doubt Dolly will ever follow anyone's rules.  She's been thrown out of Job Corps, her mother, and who knows how many other situations.     She does what she wants, and always finds someone to enable her. 

Can you imagine how bad you have to smell to get fired from a Job Corps job because your hygiene is so bad?  Must be Rhode Island Steven level of stink. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Most Job Corps trainees live in dorms, on a campus.   So, I bet the classroom funk from her was nothing compared to her place in the dorm.    I send my sympathies to her classmates, and dorm mates, and whoever was stuck with talking to Dolly about hygiene. . 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
On 1/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, libgirl2 said:

Wow. The only sane person in that group was her mother. I did come in late. 

I did not need to see the shower. Was that an entire dozen eggs, and a dozen sausages?

• Love 2
On 1/19/2022 at 7:23 PM, edie3 said:

And him knowing what it was! That was one hot mess. She needs more help than Dr Now and Dr Paradise can give her.

I was happy it covered her "area" up. The camera crew was mean again by going low.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, babyhouseman said:

What an episode. I think my mouth was dropped open for most of the show. I've known women with intellectual disabilities, and in an ideal world, everybody with these problems would have many supportive family members and access to suitable education and jobs. It can be hard on the family members helping the people with IDs.

Somebody mentioned Hello Dolly in chat. I think we can also say Good Golly Miss Dolly!

I don’t feel comfortable diagnosing Dolly, but I too come from the disability space (my sister has a severe intellectual disability- she has the cognitive abilities of a toddler)- and Dolly reminded me a LOT of some of the other siblings I’ve come across in my advocacy work for siblings of people with disabilities. 
My sister is a physical and financial challenge- but her mental disability is such she cannot make ANY choices; she’s not self aware, she can’t talk back, she can’t make decisions. She’s perfectly happy giggling and watching YouTube/Disney+ all day with her caregiver. 

Dolly, and people I have met with intellectual disabilities that exhibit similar behaviors are less physically needy (they can bathe themselves and use the toilet like a typical adult for example), they have strong language skills, but emotionally and intellectually the family is at their wits end. They have all of these impulses in an adult body, with the desire to be an adult in society, an understanding of SOME social rules but without the mental and emotional maturity to make any GOOD decisions. Peers of mine with brothers in this situation fear prison, those with sisters fear pregnancy and sexual exploitation. 

I am not sure Dolly’s “fiancé” (how can you be engaged when you’re still married) was not in a similar position. I certainly think Dolly should’ve treated her Mom better, she certainly knew better, but based on what we have seen she may not be capable of “adulting” in the typical manner. 

Again this is all speculation- and I cannot diagnose anyone from a reality show, I’m just speaking from my own life experiences having been a caregiver and spending lots of time around individuals with differing disabilities. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 7
50 minutes ago, nokat said:

I did not need to see the shower. Was that an entire dozen eggs, and a dozen sausages?

No, it was fifteen eggs, and I'm guessing they were the biggest grade of eggs too.   And it was split in half between Dolly and Cheyanne, then Dolly wanted a lot of Cheyanne's plate.    Plus, all of the cheese and extras that went with that breakfast, like a giant package of breakfast sausage links.   I'm betting with the giant pitcher of whatever she was drinking, Dolly had at least 5,000 calories for breakfast. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t feel comfortable diagnosing Dolly, but I too come from the disability space (my sister has a severe intellectual disability- she has the cognitive abilities of a toddler)- and Dolly reminded me a LOT of some of the other siblings I’ve come across in my advocacy work for siblings of people with disabilities. 
My sister is a physical and financial challenge- but her mental disability is such she cannot make ANY choices; she’s not self aware, she can’t talk back, she can’t make decisions. She’s perfectly happy giggling and watching YouTube/Disney+ all day with her caregiver. 

Dolly, and people I have met with intellectual disabilities that exhibit similar behaviors are less physically needy (they can bathe themselves and use the toilet like a typical adult for example), they have strong language skills, but emotionally and intellectually the family is at their wits end. They have all of these impulses in an adult body, with the desire to be an adult in society, an understanding of SOME social rules but without the mental and emotional maturity to make any GOOD decisions. Peers of mine with brothers in this situation fear prison, those with sisters fear pregnancy and sexual exploitation. 

I am not sure Dolly’s “fiancé” was not in a similar position. I certainly think Dolly should’ve treated her Mom better, she certainly knew better, but based on what we have seen she may not be capable of “adulting” in the typical manner. 

Again this is all speculation- and I cannot diagnose anyone from a reality show, I’m just speaking from my own life experiences having been a caregiver and spending lots of time around individuals with differing disabilities. 

You don't need to diagnosis her. She said herself she was diagnosed with intellectual disabilities, ADHD, oppositional defiance and bipolar disorder. I may have missed a diagnosis or two. Judging by the show,, there seems to be a reasonable basis for each of those diagnosis.  

• Love 4

To put it bluntly, what in God’s name has happened to this show. The episode the other night with Dolly was a version of Jerry Springer. Dysfunction on top of dysfunction. Maybe I am in the minority but I want to see successes and the reality of those who take a serious approach to their weight loss. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

You don't need to diagnosis her. She said herself she was diagnosed with intellectual disabilities, ADHD, oppositional defiance and bipolar disorder. I may have missed a diagnosis or two. Judging by the show,, there seems to be a reasonable basis for each of those diagnosis.  

Thank you for clarifying. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Nope. 15 eggs!!! I don’t think I have a skillet big enough for just her breakfast. 

There was her eating healthy with broccoli and cauliflower with about 1000 calories of cheese.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, GGFan said:

To put it bluntly, what in God’s name has happened to this show. The episode the other night with Dolly was a version of Jerry Springer. Dysfunction on top of dysfunction. Maybe I am in the minority but I want to see successes and the reality of those who take a serious approach to their weight loss. 

Maybe there simply aren't enough appropriate participants to allow us to harken back to the Golden Years of the show.

I was thinking about all the original people involved in and succeeding with weight loss on the show.  I recalled Christina, Henry, Melissa, the lady who lived in a family basement in Chicago (her name escapes me at the momet) and James (whose wife divorced him when he refused to follow the program but later succeeded), to name a few.

As someone else pointed out in an earlier thread, the show came from an genre of being a "documentary" type program.  The assumption was that the people filmed were people WHO SUCCEEDED with weight loss.

Over the years, the emphasis of the show seems to have devolved  into more of a "reality show free for all" where very, very few of the participants (if any) succeed.  

I think that trend began with the Assanti brothers.  The episodes attracted a HUGE audience because of the antics and grotesque situations delivered by the brothers.  Things went downhill from there.

The only shows I archived as weight-loss successes during the last few years were Justin, Cilla, and Benji. 

Edited by pdlinda
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you for clarifying. 

I do agree with you about being uncomfortable diagnosing strangers on TV. I have a son with a serious mental illness. People suffer from stigma. People use terms like schizophrenia with no clear idea what it really means. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I do agree with you about being uncomfortable diagnosing strangers on TV. I have a son with a serious mental illness. People suffer from stigma. People use terms like schizophrenia with no clear idea what it really means. 

Yes - no I understand what you are saying.

People have often used metal disabilities and mental illnesses as euphemisms for undesirable behavior for so long (a couple decades after a new term is adopted to describe people who have mental disabilities it becomes a slur, and a new term is developed to get away from the slur) that it’s often hard people to speak about in an empathetic way. 

I got the impression that Dolly’s Mom did care about her but was at her wits end with Dolly’s behavior- and now she had to care for the little one. And Dolly LEFT the home (no it wasn’t perfect but it seemed safe etc) to run off with some guy- I have heard this story too many times. But again- Dolly could’ve done better, she may not have been capable of parenting or being an independent adult, but she could’ve treated her Mom better. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Maybe there simply aren't enough appropriate participants to allow us to harken back to the Golden Years of the show.

I was thinking about all the original people involved in and succeeding with weight loss on the show.  I recalled Christina, Henry, Melissa, the lady who lived in a family basement in Chicago (her name escapes me at the momet) and James (whose wife divorced him when he refused to follow the program but later succeeded), to name a few.

As someone else pointed out in an earlier thread, the show came from an genre of being a "documentary" type program.  The assumption was that the people filmed were people WHO SUCCEEDED with weight loss.

Over the years, the emphasis of the show seems to have devolved  into more of a "reality show free for all" where very, very few of the participants (if any) succeed.  

I think that trend began with the Assanti brothers.  The episodes attracted a HUGE audience because of the antics and grotesque situations delivered by the brothers.  Things went downhill from there.

The only show I archived as weight-loss successes during the last few years were Justin, Cilla, and Benji. 

I recently rewatched Brittini's show. Season 4, I think. She was very successful and had a great attitude. She suffered from severe depression but worked hard to address that and weight loss. She was an inspiration, a beautiful soul. And no family drama. She had a good marriage to a kind, supportive man. Are there no more inspiring stories? Are we left with train wreaks?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I recently rewatched Brittini's show. Season 4, I think. She was very successful and had a great attitude. She suffered from severe depression but worked hard to address that and weight loss. She was an inspiration, a beautiful soul. And no family drama. She had a good marriage to a kind, supportive man. Are there no more inspiring stories? Are we left with train wreaks?

Taking this to the “All episodes” thread. 

2 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Oh, yes, I recently re-watched Brittini's episodes (original + follow up) that I saved on my DVR.

It may be that the well has run dry on those, like Brittani, who are so motivated and impassioned to make the life changes necessary to lose a tremendous amount of weight and keep it off.

I also recall other successes during those years:  Diana, Doug, Chad, Milla, Pauline, Susan, and Janine, to name a few.  Others, like Dottie, Ashley and Karina lost a lot of weight but had problems sticking with the program.

Now, the field of successful participants is so sparse,  I have trouble envisioning it returning to its former glory,

7 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Maybe there simply aren't enough a.ppropriate participants to allow us to harken back to the Golden Years of the show.

Or perhaps they couldn't film much for the last two years, so they've filled in with episodes that were previously rejected.  Have any this season gone all the way to 12 months?

I think that trend began with the Assanti brothers. 

The first train wreck I can recall was Penny, and that episode received massive attention.  I think that lit the fuse, with Paula, the Assanti brothers, etc. being gasoline on the publicity/ratings fire.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

Or perhaps they couldn't film much for the last two years, so they've filled in with episodes that were previously rejected.  Have any this season gone all the way to 12 months?

The first train wreck I can recall was Penny, and that episode received massive attention.  I think that lit the fuse, with Paula, the Assanti brothers, etc. being gasoline on the publicity/ratings fire.  

I know the percentage of the people that succeed is very low and I'm okay with seeing people who don't succeed but what this is turning into is pure circus. Yet, we watch.... 

• Love 6

I watched this episode on my cable company's repeat channel Friday night (must be in bed by 730pm for my daily 430am workout so I miss the original airing) & I stopped when Dolly was in bed with the homeless guy in what was apparently NOT a Hilton.  I was not going to watch any more but now from reading all the live chat comments & those on this section I have to pick it up where I left off.  Mrs Formerly Heavy J was surprised I turned it off.  I told her "my head hurts....I have no idea what I just watched...."

I do know that my daughter, a licensed hair stylist, would make a fortune if she lived next door to DollyLand.  Every scene the three of them had different colored hair.  Daughter of Formerly Heavy J would have that Jeep Cherokee by now she wants so much.

• Love 5
On 1/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, Juniperjen said:

What a mess!
Many have already mentioned the frog 🐸 backpack. 
I really thought that when mom dropped Dolly off at the park that she was going to sit down and eat that entire loaf of bread. They did show her throwing some bread to the ducks (that’s not good for them, is it?) I would be surprised if she didn’t eat some herself. 
Dolly was just SO surprised at every weigh in, wondering how she could possibly do any more to lose weight. 
The second Dolly said she couldn’t eat like this for the rest of her life and she just wanted to get approved for weight loss surgery, I knew this episode wouldn’t end in success. 

That is exactly what she looked like! Bizarre!

When I saw the loaf of Wonder I thought she must have a pound or two of ham shoved in her pocket with the jar of mustard under the blubber.  That's a good hiding spot.  Remember the police made Nicole (of the Bunch 'o Bastards fame) pick up her blubber while searching for drugs.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GGFan said:

I have always wondered exactly what goes on with the selection process.  I believe that any rationale-minded person can tell within the first 10 minutes of meeting a possible candidate if they are going to be an outright failure.  As someone who had a sleeve gastrectomy in 2016 (hence the Formerly Heavy J screen name) and lost 300 lbs in two years it just pisses me off to no end to see people chosen who waste this golden opportunity to live a NORMAL life.  Wobbling around at 500-600 lbs is not normal.  

• Love 7

I didn't watch the  whole show-her hair was giving me a headache. I did read the Live Chat Love you guys😉 and knew from the little bits I did watch that her elevator doesn't go to the top. She's another person that thinks the surgery is a magic bullet and presto chango she will be smaller and still pack all the food away. I too thought when she went to the park to "exercise" with a loaf of bread she would be exercising her jaws and had some lunchmeat or peanut butter stashed somewhere hidden away. Someone needs to tell her bread is bad for ducks-it can make them sick. But she doesn't blame the ducks?? For what?? Her grossness?? How she manages to attract men is beyond me-even though I get that these men are no prizes. I also wish the show would have some success stories-we haven't had one in a long time.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I know the percentage of the people that succeed is very low and I'm okay with seeing people who don't succeed but what this is turning into is pure circus. Yet, we watch.... 

I know the train wrecks can be entertaining (live chat), but when was the last success shown? Because those episodes are uplifting. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, nokat said:

I know the train wrecks can be entertaining (live chat), but when was the last success shown? Because those episodes are uplifting. 

I think Mike, from earlier this season, was doing fairly well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 1/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, suzeecat said:

Wow. Wow. Wow.  Whoever was responsible for casting Dolly and her merry band of clowns deserves a bonus.  It's going to be quite a challenge to top the entertainment value of this crew.  The hair! The clothes (and accessories)! The Fupa!  The mother talked as if she had a good head on her shoulders, but she looked like a member of the Lollipop Guild from The Wizard of Oz.  My, my, my, that was quite the show. 

That's it, that's it, that's it!! I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out just who the mother looked like, and this was exactly the right comparision. OMG   So funny! Thank you suzee!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lilysmom said:

That's it, that's it, that's it!! I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out just who the mother looked like, and this was exactly the right comparision. OMG   So funny! Thank you suzee!

I'm handing out gasoline soaked drawers. It's probably better than what is in those drawers.

bus_to_hell.jpg

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Wowowowoweeeeee that might have been the hottest mess since the Assanti brothers.  

I wonder who is paying for her hair? Fashion colors are EXPENSIVE and take hours- and I will say that it looked like the color looks like it was applied very nicely, but definitely not given the aftercare those colors needed. 

She’s so clearly incapable of sound decision-making. Her friend Cheyanne should have run away from this bewildered and bewildering woman-child. I can see Cheyanne getting larger too, as the months go by on the show. 

• Love 8
On 1/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, FormeryHeavyJ said:

When I saw the loaf of Wonder I thought she must have a pound or two of ham shoved in her pocket with the jar of mustard under the blubber.  That's a good hiding spot.  Remember the police made Nicole (of the Bunch 'o Bastards fame) pick up her blubber while searching for drugs.

Not mustard. Too low in calories. A giant-sized jar of Miracle Whip (because more sugar than mayo) and a 2 pound block of processed cheese food.

I can only imagine (not that I want to) all the things that could be stashed away under that FUPA.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

Not mustard. Too low in calories. A giant-sized jar of Miracle Whip (because more sugar than mayo) and a 2 pound block of processed cheese food.

I can only imagine (not that I want to) all the things that could be stashed away under that FUPA.

OMG!!  Have you NO MERCY for the rest of us reading these details of our inimitable Dolly???  😁

• LOL 7
On 1/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, Roxie said:

That was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.  She's 25, with a child, and didn't do her own laundry?  My kids did their own laundry starting at age eight!

I just wish that she could have told Dr. Now that she was now doing some of her own laundry-at age 25, being a mother who doesn't mother!-just to see what the look on his face would have been!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 1/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, Kenzie said:

Dolly's understanding of the surgery was so minimal (other than magic) that she strikes me as a post operative risk. I think she would blow her stiches out and bleed to death because she would never have the patience or aptitude to live on a liquid diet for a few weeks while she healed.

Nor can I see her keeping her wounds clean while she healed-no way. She would end up getting sepsis, and not even understand why it happened in the first place.

She did say if she is too tired, then she skips her showers. That fast fiancé must not only have a hearing problem, but can't smell very well either!

• Love 5

Been missing the live chats SOOOOO much! I work overnights Wednesday nights at the Smiley Box place now, so I miss the live show and chatting with y'all. 😭 Holy christ on several hundred bikes. What in the world is going on here!? It's like Seana 2.0, with a froggy backpack, wispy half ponytails, and a dump truck of leftover Lisa Frank colors.

Poor mom, yanno? She obviously loves her daughter, and her granddaughter. But she wasn't wanting to be mom again, and she's doing it anyway. I have a feeling she's one tough lady on the outside, but she definitely shows love to them both, she's just absolutely over Dolly's impulsive behavior. I just hope the little one can stop the cycle as she grows up. I absolutely understand mom's frustration and why shes hurt. 

"He has a wife now." Uh yeah, YOU. You're the wife, this "kinda like a sister wife" is the girlfriend until you two get divorced. Who in their right mind... well. Stop bouncing from man to man like a basketball at an NBA game. Focus on getting healthy and in a good mental health space and teaching your daughter good habits instead. Not every person has good intentions and not every date needs to end up in moving in after two days or getting engaged after 20 minutes. 

The house. The house. it honestly reminds me of a childhood friend's home. Her parents bought a house that had been fully hoarded. They cleaned half the hoard out and moved their belongings in over the rest of the hoard. Everything was always dirty, floors absolutely creaked and sagged under anybody's weight, and they never bothered to clean the in ground pool (cuz 'rainwater is clean') so the kids swam in what was basically a swamp. But it was totally awesome in their eyes because it was a historic house. 

Mama said what a LOT of the show's past mamas needed to say. She lost 200lbs probably being stressed the fuck out raising a 3 year old and a 25 year old plus the BFF hanging around. Both young women better have listened up and straightened up. 

• Love 7
On 1/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, mittsigirl said:

I just wish that she could have told Dr. Now that she was now doing some of her own laundry-at age 25, being a mother who doesn't mother!-just to see what the look on his face would have been!

I wasn't allowed to touch my Mom's washing machine......ever.  She was afraid everyone would "break it".  I was finally allowed to use the washing machine to help her out when my parents retired & relocated, my Dad passed and she was living alone.  That was 12 years ago.....when I was 44 years old.

No I didn't break it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 1/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, auntjess said:

Didn't she tell Dr. Now that, in one of the visits?

Looking for in-patient therapy so she has a place to live that is not in her parent's house? Otherwise, she is homeless.  Dolly isn't mature enough to realize that there are expectations no matter where you live.

• Love 4
On 1/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, Scarlett45 said:

On 1/21/2022 at 9:52 PM, Desert Rat said:

I'm grateful you both discussed this issue. I was taken aback by her complete childish helplessness contrasted with her considerable vocabulary.  That has to be the hardest combination on loved ones, for them to appear so highly functioning yet have next to no "sense" at all. 

I suspect that the mom was hoping Dr. Now was going to hospitalize her Dolly for a month as he's done for other "hopeless" patients with infections. They both stressed her sore skin and the mother stressed how she'd literally be BLEEDING by the time they got back home, and there was no request (shown, anyway) from Dr. Now to investigate what they were alluding to. I have to think he took a look - they broadcast a patient complaining about pain and bleeding... you don't skim over that. So probably it was plain old diaper rash. Yet he didn't comment about her hygiene, either, did he?

I suspect that otherwise functional/sensible highly obese people who are inspired by this show contact Dr. Now or Dr. Proctor for assistance outside of the show. 

• Love 3

However, Dolly said her diagnoses were when she was in kindergarten, unless I goofed about that.      

I've known world-renowned (in their field) Ph.D.'s that had zero common sense, so common sense and intelligence aren't connected.       I thin Dolly was very clever at finding someone to use, for money, and everything else.   The second her mother booted her out, she went back to the ex, then found Phillip to support her.    I think Dolly will always find someone to leach off of.     

• Love 3

So mom got custody of the baby when she was 6 days old. What the eff could they have been doing at 6 days old that they took her kid away? I'm certainly not complaining, just a bit surprised as she didn't admit up front to any substance abuse etc. 

Anyone else's show have such loud background music over their voices? Or are they all just that softspoken? Or do I have random selective deafness??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HotHW said:

So mom got custody of the baby when she was 6 days old. What the eff could they have been doing at 6 days old that they took her kid away?

While substance abuse comes to mind first, it could be neglect.  As in not feeding and/or not cleaning up. 

• Love 1

Hi, long time reader: first time poster…

I had to comment on buggy things:

Dresses with the pockets hanging inside out.  Same dresses are used as napkins after she eats (or cooks) with her fingers.

The frog backpack is hers and probably confiscated from her daughter. Phillip has to carry it for her like he carried her vest also. She can only carry her phone.

Poor Cheyanne finds some validation in being her servant. I think she grew into Dolly’s polka dot dress by the end.

• Love 3