Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Diwali

• Start Topic

Carrie's giant leap for her future self helps her embrace the past, while a confession from Miranda shocks Charlotte. Also, Anthony asks Carrie for a favour.

Original Air Date: January 6th 2022

14 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Okay, no.  No No No No No.  Do not come for the Madame Alexander international dolls.  Is nothing sacred? 

lol! I grew up with Barbie and American Girl. If I were a rich lady with tons of room, I'd probably collect Madame Alexander because they're such beautiful dolls. 

• Love 5

Oh Yay! Miranda and Che flashbacks. Just what we were all hoping for.

Other than that, this episode wasn’t *quite* as cringeworthy. Maybe because we had more Seema and more Anthony, and a little bit of humor with the mystery beeping (even though it was irritating! LOL). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18

It is worth noting that Cynthia Nixon directed this episode. She probably had quite the hand in how Miranda's story and those flashbacks were portrayed.

I thought the episode had its moments. The lunch in the park where they had that fight and Carrie said that they've already lost Samantha, that would've been enough to explain her absence. No need for all the sly comments in the other episodes.
Otherwise, it was a another cringefest and @RedHawk 's crystal ball re cultural appropriation wasn't that far off either.

The opening scene in the new apartment looked like it was shot in a green room with the apartment rendered in. Have they reshot a few scenes to make Standford's absence a bit more plausible?

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Aulty said:

The opening scene in the new apartment looked like it was shot in a green room with the apartment rendered in.

You thought so too!? It looked so strange to me too.  

Were we supposed to believe that Carrie did her own hair for Diwali with all the flowers artistically placed in it?

All the beautiful saris in that shop and she picks the not so attractive one to wear?

Rock wants to redecorate her side of the room, Charlotte puts the dolls away and Rock tapes some lame poster over her name on the wall, Charlotte does not wince at tape on the wall, that is what I find unreal, lol.

Why would Carrie buy that sterile apartment? I get she wants to move forward but it was not even in a part of the city she ever wanted to live in, why would Seema who seemas to know Carrie a bit more now even suggest that place?  I would have enjoyed that view but the apartment was a no from me.  The beeping was stupid, the place was empty so it could only be a few things, smoke detector would have been my go to, not the dishwasher that had never been used.  Seema tells Carrie that she can just sell that apartment and Carrie is literally surprised by that, really, why wouldn't Seema want to sell and resell an apartment, Seema has a cash cow.

Carrie should have tried to buy the apartment next hers again and successfully enlarged it this time, hard for me to believe she can absorb the fancy furnishings and such in to her tiny place although she has a magical closet that can hold thousands of pieces of clothing, shoes and big hats.

Were we supposed to think the doctor was going to make a play for Anthony or Carrie? It sort of felt like they were hinting at some flirtation towards one of them.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why would Carrie buy that sterile apartment? I get she wants to move forward but it was not even in a part of the city she ever wanted to live in, why would Seema who seemas to know Carrie a bit more now even suggest that place?  I would have enjoyed that view but the apartment was a no from me.  The beeping was stupid, the place was empty so it could only be a few things, smoke detector would have been my go to, not the dishwasher that had never been used.  Seema tells Carrie that she can just sell that apartment and Carrie is literally surprised by that, really, why wouldn't Seema want to sell and resell an apartment, Seema has a cash cow.

Yeah the impression I got was Seema must have been getting a huge commission from selling Carrie that apartment.  There was nothing about the apartment that was even remotely close to Carrie's style.  And how rich do  you have to be to buy what I assume is a multi million dollar apartment and then decide to sell it shortly afterwards?

I'm asking because I don't know, is it wrong to have Madame Alexander dolls now?  I am only vaguely familiar with them.

And I'm confused about the timeline.  At the end of last week's episode it was three months from Miranda's kitchen hook up.  So where are we now in time?  Carrie bought an apartment and closed on it.  How long does that take?

No mention of Miranda seeing Che again.  Are they texting?  Did Che hit it and quit it?  And I would have thought Charlotte would have been more judgmental about Miranda cheating on Steve rather than Miranda possibly being a lesbian.  

Clearly Anthony is playing the role that Willie Garson would have played had he been able to continue playing Stanford.  On the one hand I find it weird because I don't ever remember Carrie and Anthony being friendly (although once Anthony married Stanford I'm sure they did become friends) but on the other hand we get to see more of Anthony which is fine by me.  

19 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Were we supposed to think the doctor was going to make a play for Anthony or Carrie? It sort of felt like they were hinting at some flirtation towards one of them.

Yes. Maybe that is the doctor's schtick.  Flirt with every patient to get them to have procedures done.

They played the instrumental Hello It's Me when Carrie opened the box with Big's records.  It is a really beautiful piece of music.

21 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Rock wants to redecorate her side of the room, Charlotte puts the dolls away and Rock tapes some lame poster over her name on the wall, Charlotte does not wince at tape on the wall, that is what I find unreal, lol.

Rock is not being a brat which I'm pleasantly surprised about. Usually shows will have a kid their age be sullen and miserable.  

• Love 11

I cannot think about a DiWali celebration without thinking about The Office's episode about DiWali, I was disappointed that Michael Scott was not dancing at Seema's parents party.

42 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

They played the instrumental Hello It's Me when Carrie opened the box with Big's records.  It is a really beautiful piece of music.

Todd Rundgren, love his music!

45 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

And how rich do  you have to be to buy what I assume is a multi million dollar apartment and then decide to sell it shortly afterwards?

I'm asking because I don't know, is it wrong to have Madame Alexander dolls now?  I am only vaguely familiar with them.

And I'm confused about the timeline.  At the end of last week's episode it was three months from Miranda's kitchen hook up.  So where are we now in time?  Carrie bought an apartment and closed on it.  How long does that take?

Did we ever learn that Carrie and Big's apartment sold?  I guess in Carrie's world buying an apartment takes as long as buying a pair of Manalo's but with less paperwork.

Madam Alexander dolls were beautiful dolls dressed in their native country costumes, lot's of detail in the clothing, the older ones are valuable, nothing wrong with them if you are in to that sort of thing but young teens probably are not interested.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Maybe it’s because I watched on a small screen, but, when I saw Carrie with that ridiculous hopped skirt sari and hairpiece, I thought she was channeling Scarlett O’Ohara in the “I saw it in the window and couldn’t resist” (TM Carol Burnett) scene.

image.thumb.jpeg.3860c32d695f1f027b911cb346b6a628.jpegimage.jpeg.a9db0dba4b043bffbba062e7f9e4ec5f.jpeg

• LOL 20
  • Love 2

The scene where Carrie found Big's records was amazing. It made me cry. So emotional!

Also, the cinematography when she was making herself breakfast was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. What a view!

• Love 9

So I actually related to this episode. I totally understand Carrie's jokes about too much sun and wearing sunglasses indoors. I moved from mostly eastern-facing windows to floor-to-ceiling western-facing windows with a totally unobstructed view -- that lets in ALL the sun. I just had not thought about how much sun would come in. I actually have to wear sunscreen even when I'm not stepping outdoors, and I had to move bookshelves and things due to fading. I love my views but I was right with her on the "Maybe there's too much sun?" because that's what I think every time there's an apartment with huge windows and someone cooing "Oh, there's so much light!"

Also, the beeping was hilarious because it WAS my dishwasher. And of course it kept happening in the middle of the night. No amount of pushing the button would "cancel" it. I wash dishes by hand (I cook about as often as Carrie does) and fortunately the DW is on its own separate fuse so I just went to the fusebox and flipped it to OFF. 

Didn't need the flashbacks to Miranda's big sexual awakening with Che, but they did tell us that she and Che haven't done anything since then. If I was Miranda I'd be more upset about that than anything. 

I did like the fight at the picnic; it seemed real, especially the comments about dying hair and getting work done. The scene in the plastic surgeon's office felt right out of real life. Most are very attractive because they've all had work done! And the way they reel you in by being first sort of flirtatious and saying how good you look and then suggesting how you could look so much better. I haven't been there but it rings true to what I've heard. Like, he flattered Anthony but suggested Botox and was quick to move right over and set up the injections. It's a business.

I did like how Carrie saw herself as 15 years younger and faced (pun intended) that she's changed. I feel about the same when I see photos of myself 15 years ago and realize how good I looked versus how "tired" I look now. "The Age" hit me in my mid 50s just like it's hitting these women. I've advised a couple of younger friends that a healthy diet, good sleep, and giving up alcohol (they both drink daily, yeah, problematic) can be very helpful in postponing some of the effects. And Miranda actually mentioned menopause! 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 16

Once I saw that grease spot on the front of Carrie's nightgown (or whatever that sheer thing was) while she was looking for the beep, I couldn't not see it.

I've had the mysterious beep problem a few times. Once it was the smoke detector in the basement that needed new batteries, once it was a co2 detector that needed to be replaced and once it was a fall detector bracelet that I had put away that needed to be recharged. That last one took me a week to figure out. My dishwasher has never randomly beeped, so please identify the brands that do that so I can make sure I never buy one.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Ok, the line “Your mother wants to know if you’ve gotten a new SARI for the DIWALI PARTY,” complete with immigrant parent accent (tm) , followed by extremely shoehorned apropos-of-nothing reference to matchmaking, has got to win the award for “Hey, see how INCLUSIVE we’re being!  These people are INDIAN!  Can you tell?”  Absolute CRINGE.   Like, sure, that’s exactly what the father would have called to talk about right then, because, Indian.  Can they not just hire people of different ethnicities/backgrounds?  Does it have to be ABOUT that, all the time with these characters? Sometimes “diverse” people talk about, I dunno, regular stuff, like their jobs, or what they had for lunch. Sometimes they just exist.   But not on this show.  Indian?  Must be Diwali.  Gender nonconforming?  Must talk about it incessantly including unfunny standup routine.  Black?  Must make every interaction with them awkward/must get turned away from every entrance.  Ugh with this!  And asking whether it’s “allowed” to wear a Sari to this party?  When the Indian woman herself was the one who suggested it to you?    Like, that’s NOT what cultural appropriation is, and if you think it is, well, that’s where you’re being a tad unaware.  (Same with the dolls.  Traditional dress exists.  Are we not allowed to own any depiction of it?  Is it inaccurate?) And also, asking for a “complete explanation” of the holiday itself?  Patronizing.  These people don’t need to be the token explainers/absolvers.  It’s all written to center the white people, and their experience, in the narrative, which is what they are allegedly trying not to do.  

Yeah...can't they have immigrants/non-white/black people (and first generation children NOT being rebellious) being normal?  My son has a book called Great Job, Dad! where a dad (of Asian heritage) is, well, being a dad to his mixed race (white and Asian, just like the author's  children) kids.  It's just a family being normal (see pictures in the link).   

• Love 6

You know why Seema can't get a man? Because she smokes! I get that some wealthy women still smoke on the sly as a tool to stay super-skinny. However, most people now think it's a nasty habit and don't want to date someone who smokes. (Hi, Aiden!) Of all my friends and acquaintances, I think only 1 still smokes. It's not cool, and it will put the age on you, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

"You're having a midlife crisis. You should have dyed your hair."

I actually liked this episode. Charlotte actually felt like Charlotte for the first time this series. She actually felt like an important figure, and I thought the relationship with her kids had the right balance. I also liked the resolution. Rock put a poster over the Rose name. It felt like a way to honor both people's request. I hate that the poster was ugly, but Rock is a teenager. They rarely have great taste.

I also agree with whomever said upthread they are appreciative that the show didn't make Rock sullen, miserable, and moody.

I also did not like the haircut for Rock.

I liked the argument between Charlotte and Miranda. Again, both responses felt true to their character. I also liked that they actually seemed to have a relationship with each other this episode. Part of my issue with this series is it felt too early Sex in the City. I mean in the sense that everyone's relationship seemed to be filtered through Carrie. Later in the series and in the movies, the characters developed more of a relationship with each other. I liked that the relationship between Charlotte/Miranda was honored here. Charlotte would be aghast at an affair, regardless of one's reasoning for having one. I laughed out loud at Charlotte's "You're not progressive enough for this." I also laughed at "Them! You mean there's more than one person!"

It seemed like a good balance of acknowledging the changing world, while being true to the characters' core tenets. 

I don't buy that Charlotte would ever have a sex dream about Che or find them "charismatic." Not because Che is nonbinary, but because everything about Che is so aesthetically disheveled that I can't imagine Charlotte ever finding them attractive. Charlotte didn't laugh once at the standup routine, and she was barely paying attention to the show. That felt like Che propping.

I felt nauseated every time the Che and Miranda fantasy popped up on screen. I didn't like it the first time. I didn't like the flashbacks. I did not hoot and holler at my screen when Miranda sent Che a private message via social media. I am just not a fan of this pairing.

I liked the scene with the professor at dinner, but I was also confused why it was there. The actors did a good job, but I'd rather spend the 38 minutes with the Sex and the City characters - Carrie, Charlotte, text messaging Samantha, Miranda, in that order. I kept waiting for Miranda to show up for the scene, and I was disappointed that never happened. 

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Miranda with no issue cheating ... Just have her hit by a car

Came here to say the same thing. It's been three months, and now she's telling Charlotte, so has she told Steve? She sent a text to Che hoping they would get together again. Is she going to tell Steve? She apparently has no remorse or concern about her marriage, and I guess doesn't think a finger and a lot of fantasizing is cheating. Sure, Miranda.

Now that I recall, in the first movie I thought her explosive anger at Steve and insistence on immediate separation actually was her way to get out of the marriage at that point. She had to talk herself into staying with him, and her momentary "what if he doesn't choose me?" while waiting on the bridge was just ego. She was a little bit in love all those years ago in the closet (ha!) but after finally reconciling in Movie #1 they stopped growing together, stopped having sex (again), and became co-parenting "pals", with Steve now apparently somewhat ok with that. (Not that I believe he's really ok with a dull, sexless marriage.) Che awoke Miranda's long-repressed attraction to women, and here we are. That's my new interpretation.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

. I laughed out loud at Charlotte's "You're not progressive enough for this." I also laughed at "Them! You mean there's more than one person!"

Those both made me laugh too, those felt very in character for Charlotte. In general this episode was, at the very least, a lot better then last weeks episode, which was so terrible I felt like I needed to wash my eyes out with lemon juice. The picnic scene actually did feel like the show I used to like so much. Miranda really needs to have a talk with Steve though, either about cheating with Che (like he came clean when he cheated on her) or just about the state of their marriage. If the happiest she has been in years is being fingerbanged by a mediocre comic in her friends kitchen, her issues go way beyond her and Steve being in a rut, or even her sexuality. I know I have made this point before, but remember when Miranda threw Steve out when he admitted to cheating on her and wouldn't talk to him for months  until Carrie told her she was being an idiot? They went to marriage counseling and choose each other again? How exactly is this different? Did we forget all of that?

I continue to wish we got a bit more of Lily and Rock beyond Charlotte's struggle with Rock's gender identity, they both seem quite likable and I appreciate that they seem to get along really well, despite their differences. 

I really like Seema, so I was happy to see more of her life, even if a lot of her plot seemed to scream "We're Indian! See! Diversity!" at times, although seeing a glimpse of Diwali was cool. Seema taking a second to explain how Carrie wearing a sari wasn't cultural appropriation was as awkward as you would imagine, but honestly its not a bad point to make. My sister (we're so very white) was really nervous about wearing a kimono at her Japanese American friends wedding, even though her friend asked her to, especially about posting pictures of the wedding, she was really anxious about people accusing her of cultural appropriation and going viral, although all that happened was her friend getting married teasing my sister a bit about it and everyone looked lovely. 

How much time has actually passed since the show started? Has it really been months? Even if there has been a time skip, I am not really ready to see Carrie dating again, seriously no interest at all. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

Charlotte would be aghast at an affair, regardless of one's reasoning for having one.

I thought this was definitely a true Charlotte reaction, along with suggestions she dye her hair.  I also thought Charlotte's comment to Carrie about how women who get work done shouldn't be shamed either was a bit on the nose, as it were, given all of the talk that Kristin Davis had work done before the reboot.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Miranda is exploring her sexuality after a tryst with Che, it has upended her logical thinking and now is questioning her relationship with her husband, ok fine but talk to Steve before you make any big changes and declarations. 

My take on Che is she is a player, she likes to do exactly what she did to Miranda, she swoops in, teases and pleases then moves on to the next person, Miranda is going to be hurt if she puts all her eggs in Che's basket. Che is not bothered by seducing a married woman and I think Che may not be relationship material.

If Miranda leaves Steve it should be for herself not anyone else and certainly not Che.

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

That would have been great, like if Carrie's back problems were the result of wearing high heels every day for her entire life. 

And she was wearing heels again AT THE PICNIC IN THE PARK. Oh, Carrie.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

1 minute ago, Conotocarious said:

Gotta love how Steve’s name isn’t mentioned at all. Did the actor sign on with the understanding of minimal screen time. Sheesh.

And was he told he'd be playing a doddering, deaf old man?

• LOL 17
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Gotta love how Steve’s name isn’t mentioned at all. Did the actor sign on with the understanding of minimal screen time? Sheesh.

8 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

And was he told he'd be playing a doddering, deaf old man?

Spoiler

He is featured very prominently in next week's episode. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This episode was better than last week's.

Does anyone know who was singing I Can See Clearly Now as the credits rolled? (It switched from the Jimmy Cliffs version to a female singer)

I can't even express how much I wish Charlotte and family were off doing something in some remote corner of the world where there's no  internet. I HATE  this Charlotte! Even when she's saying something that is so in accord with the character   we've  known  like at the park, I  can't help but think why the f' is she talking like that? Every time I see her I have  her scenes   from the early years of SATC  playing in my head and I can't get why KD would portray a smart classy woman acting ditzier and  speaking in a more exaggerated baby talking fashion as she matures?

• Love 7

Why do I think that Carrie will eventually buy back the apartment that she lived with John after it's been redecorated and some light interior renovations?

Miranda masturbating and Brady outside her door was another cringy moment.  And where is Steve?

Why would the packers (because Seema arranged all that) not label the boxes at least? You know, kitchenware, records, clothing, etc

Charlotte packing the Madame Alexander dolls reminded me when she packed away her Christmas decorations before she fully became Jewish.

I'm glad they didn't pursue the drinking issue with Miranda. But all this time she's has not confronted her husband about her one time stand.

• Love 8

She isnt thinking of Steve at all .. Hey if you are a lesbian great be the lesbian you always wanted to be but Break it off with the dude you are married with first.. you might not love him anymore but he has feelings and doesn't deserve to be shit on ... this show is treating him like he doesn't exist and is someone that can just been thrown away .. its beyond fucked up

I don't get this at all. Are we supposed to be rooting for Miranda at this point? The show seems particularly tone deaf to its audience. It all feels very much like a vanity piece for Cynthia Nixon rather than an organic storyline for Miranda.

The "can't find the irritating beeping" story was a lot funnier when it happened to Phoebe on Friends. 20 years ago.

I also did not like the haircut for Rock.

That was the one thing I did like. I thought it looked cute.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

She isnt thinking of Steve at all .. Hey if you are a lesbian great be the lesbian you always wanted to be but Break it off with the dude you are married with first.. you might not love him anymore but he has feelings and doesn't deserve to be shit on ... this show is treating him like he doesn't exist and is someone that can just been thrown away .. its beyond fucked up

THIS. THIS. THIS.

At this point, I hope Steve will be pissed off and just say fuck it and bolt.

As I said, Steve did cheat. But at least he had the grace to 'fess up, let the chips fall where they may, and wanted to save his marriage. Miranda is just being a selfish bitch, acting like a preteen with their first crush. It's nasty and shits all over her history with Steve, and I don't care at this point if she gets hurt. Why should I? She cares jack shit about anyone else.

• Love 19

Miranda was such a witch to Steve when he cheated...yet we're supposed to be happy she cheated on him?  

Also, now that Carrie..Charlotte and Miranda are in their 50s, they're now getting the age shaming that Samantha had in the SATC 2 movie.  All 3 must have needed a paycheck (Cynthia because of her governor campaign, Kristen and SJP....not sure the reason)

• Love 8

I actually ALMOST loved this episode. 

Carrie, for good or bad, felt like Carrie again. Her mannerisms, her smile, her puns, her finger points. She was Carrie. I even liked almost everything she wore this ep, including the Diwali dress. 

Seema's dad is the same actor who played the "Pakistani busboy" who kissed Samantha outside a restaurant bathroom back in an early  season of SATC. 

That new apartment isn't Carrie, or me, but it was gorgeous. It reminded me vaguely of the LA apt Vince Vaughn showed Carrie, with all those windows and amazing view. 

I still don't care for Miranda's storyline, but at least they talked about it. Charlotte kind of spoke for many of us in the picnic scene. Tho no way she ever fantasized about Che, come on. Miranda bringing it all up and then wanting to bolt when she didn't like what they had to say was actually very in character for Miranda, unlike most of the stuff she's done in the reboot. I liked Carrie stopping her and telling her they could fight but she couldn't leave. 

Jonathan Groff is uber dreamy. 

I love Rock/Rose. 

The little reprise of Hello Its Me is really touching. 

And "I can see clearly now" is one of my all time faves. It's my theme song! (Remember when we all had those after Ally McBeal? No?)

The female singer of it was Grace Vanderwall. She's an indie singer, and she's only 17. And this is a funny fact i just learned: she's from Suffern, NY. Ha. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 12

I hated those Madame Alexander dolls when my grandmother tried to push them onto me...at 10 I thought they were creepy . 

People are really going to have to make peace with the world changing. Just like it was okay for women to have their own bank accounts and live on their own before marriage (or forever) now it's other marginalized groups' turn to evolve attitudes. It's not the end of civilization my grandfather predicted.

Charlotte's discomfort feels real and I think I'll enjoy watching her trying to figure it all out. I like Rock but I love them with Harry. 

This episode felt the most SATC. I wish they'd taken a page from Insecure in the way time jumps and new characters are integrated. 

Seema and LTW are my favorite characters. Keeping my fingers crossed for a spinoff for each of them.

I couldn't find the post to quote it but I wholeheartedly agree that the diverse characters need to exist outside their ethnic/cultural identities. More POC in the writers room!

I think I'm only hate watching the Miranda scenes now. 

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 12

I wish Cynthia Nixon could have just produced her own show where she plays a new and original character in a story about a woman who comes out later in life. It’s very frustrating that show is essentially telling Cynthia’s story through Miranda and turning Steve into a moron to justify it.

This show reeks of the Dallas reboot. It used the Ewing name to get it picked up but once the show aired it was all about an annoying Mexican family. It was a completely different show to the original.

Revivals are great if you’re willing to stay true to the original. If you’re not going to then just stop.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Why do I think that Carrie will eventually buy back the apartment that she lived with John after it's been redecorated and some light interior renovations?

Miranda masturbating and Brady outside her door was another cringy moment.  And where is Steve?

Why would the packers (because Seema arranged all that) not label the boxes at least? You know, kitchenware, records, clothing, etc

Charlotte packing the Madame Alexander dolls reminded me when she packed away her Christmas decorations before she fully became Jewish.

I'm glad they didn't pursue the drinking issue with Miranda. But all this time she's has not confronted her husband about her one time stand.

There were prominent inventory labels on the boxes, not sure why Carrie was so shocked to find the records. She could have just read the labels.

I think it's ridiculous that Miranda is suddenly sober after quitting cold turkey. And just like that, she didn't feel the overwhelming urge to anesthetize herself with alcohol again. Oh, well she transferred her addicted to her vibrator, I guess. Anyway, it's not even responsible of the writers to depict Miranda having a serious problem with alcohol yet one that she can suddenly be "over" by just deciding to quit. It happens, but why did the show introduce it and then treat it this way? I imagine maybe she'll have a big, dramatic relapse, but with these writers I can't be sure her addiction won't just be hand-waved away.

Oh, and I hate the "we were all drinking too much during the pandemic" bullshit excuse for problematic drinking. Yes, many people increased their drinking, and for some it became a problem they had to face as things got better. Others chose to decrease their drinking or even stop. Not "all" drank excessively to deal with the stress.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know we all age, but damn. SJP needs a new hair style. She looks so damned haggard now.

I actually saw the point of that severe pulled-back bun in the park. It gets all that hair out of her way. But it's still a bad look and ages her terribly. I realized that maybe she does it because she's in mourning and sometimes depressed and at times just doesn't care how bad/sad/old she looks. 

33 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

The female singer of it was Grace Vanderwall. She's an indie singer, and she's only 17. And this is a funny fact 8 just learned: she's from Suffern, NY. Ha. 

Ha ha, "sufferin' in Suffern!" I always liked that joke. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm ticked off that after the whole scene in the sari shop with the cringy dialog about cultural appropriation, Carrie ended up not even wearing a sari to Seema's family Diwali celebration. Also, I've never seen an Indian woman do her hair with an elaborate braid hairpiece and flowers like Carrie did. I don't know what she was showing appreciation for but it sure wasn't the Hindu culture.

The scene with Brady talking to Miranda through the door while she's masturbating was terrible. And Cynthia Nixon apparently directed this episode, so it was her choice? Barf.

My refrigerator beeps when one of the doors isn't properly closed and that took me a while to figure out the first time it happened, so I could relate to that scene. That apartment was obviously the wrong choice for Carrie, and maybe she should stay in her old place for a year before she picks a new one. She's still grieving and not making rational decisions. BTW, did anyone else get the sense that Seema is taking advantage of Carrie's poor decision making? As Carrie's real estate agent, she gets a 3% commission from every real estate transaction Carrie makes - buying or selling - so it's more advantageous for her to sell Carrie the wrong place at first, re-sell the wrong place, and have her buy yet another place. That's three commissions instead of one (plus the one she got for selling the place she shared with Big).

The scene in the plastic surgeon's office was preposterous. The "simulation" was obviously an old picture of SJP in her 30s. Plastic surgery never works that way.

• Love 9

I don't get this at all. Are we supposed to be rooting for Miranda at this point? The show seems particularly tone deaf to its audience. It all feels very much like a vanity piece for Cynthia Nixon rather than an organic storyline for Miranda.

Particularly after this week’s episode, though, I don’t think the show is expecting us to be rooting for Miranda, at least not in the sense that we’re supposed to be “I hope she ends up with Che.”  The other two main characters have majorly and pointedly criticized her and confronted her about what she’s doing; I don’t think the show would be doing that if they meant us just to be cool with her actions.  All season Miranda has been flailing around in all these different ways, and I don’t think Che is romantic endgame— I suspect Miranda is really going to get hurt there as well.  

I’d point to the fact that in this week’s episode Miranda basically admits she doesn't know what she’s doing and in last week’s episode Miranda’s tryst with Che in the kitchen wasn’t filmed with a glossy “at last, she finally is who she’s meant to be” tone but instead was filmed from Carrie’s frustrated point of view of “what in the hell are you doing?”  Every single thing this season with Miranda from the job change to the alcoholism to the affair suggests Charlotte’s diagnosis of a major mid-life crisis rather than some glorious coming out narrative.

I’m waiting to see where they go with this by the end of the season, but for right now that’s how I’m choosing to read it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Ok, the line “Your mother wants to know if you’ve gotten a new SARI for the DIWALI PARTY,” complete with immigrant parent accent (tm) , followed by extremely shoehorned apropos-of-nothing reference to matchmaking, has got to win the award for “Hey, see how INCLUSIVE we’re being!  These people are INDIAN!  Can you tell?”  Absolute CRINGE.   Like, sure, that’s exactly what the father would have called to talk about right then, because, Indian.  Can they not just hire people of different ethnicities/backgrounds?  Does it have to be ABOUT that, all the time with these characters? Sometimes “diverse” people talk about, I dunno, regular stuff, like their jobs, or what they had for lunch. Sometimes they just exist.   But not on this show.  Indian?  Must be Diwali.  Gender nonconforming?  Must talk about it incessantly including unfunny standup routine.  Black?  Must make every interaction with them awkward/must get turned away from every entrance.  Ugh with this!  And asking whether it’s “allowed” to wear a Sari to this party?  When the Indian woman herself was the one who suggested it to you?    Like, that’s NOT what cultural appropriation is, and if you think it is, well, that’s where you’re being a tad unaware.  (Same with the dolls.  Traditional dress exists.  Are we not allowed to own any depiction of it?  Is it inaccurate?) And also, asking for a “complete explanation” of the holiday itself?  Patronizing.  These people don’t need to be the token explainers/absolvers.  It’s all written to center the white people, and their experience, in the narrative, which is what they are allegedly trying not to do.  

Yeah I agree. Why was the episode entitled “Diwali” and there was hardly anything about the holiday in the episode??????

Also- while I like Seema as a character I wish they would’ve developed her more. A woman that’s never partnered at 53 has had a very different life experience than a widow or a divorced person, and their perspective deserves to be shared too. Making up a fake boyfriend? In my head Seema is far too fabulous for that. Ugh I miss Samantha to fill in this role. 

2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I still don't care for Miranda's storyline, but at least they talked about it. Charlotte kind of spoke for many of us in the picnic scene. Tho no way she ever fantasized about Che, come on. Miranda bringing it all up and then wanting to bolt when she didn't like what they had to say was actually very in character for Miranda, unlike most of the stuff she's done in the reboot. I liked Carrie stopping her and telling her they could fight but she couldn't leave. 

I did see Charlotte has the voice of the audience in that scene. Also- Miranda IS married to Steve. They aren’t separated or anything, I was surprised that Charlotte didn’t mention how Steve would feel when he found out. 

But I could see Charlotte fantasying about Che- Che has a very masculine centered energy and swagger I think Charlotte would find attractive. Alone sex dream would not be so weird. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Miranda used to be one of my favorite characters (along with Sam). Watching her be not the least bit remorseful about cheating with Che, and not even considering being honest with her husband has ruined the character for me. Also, the thing with her masturbating while Brady is talking behind the door was just gross.

I didn't care all that much about Rock wanting to cut their hair and change their side of their room. Even if Rock had remained Rose, kids do want to change their rooms and their looks as they get older. Dolls aren't cool after a certain age, even for kids who identify as girls. This didn't strike me as all that big of a deal. In fact I'm surprised Lilly never brought up changing the room on her own. The room does look a little... young.

The Carrie moving plot felt a little unnecessary. Are they already running out of things to do with her?

• Love 8