Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Diwali

• Start Topic

I don't detest Che, just don't care about her story and don't like how Miranda is behaving with her. I also don't care much about Prof. Nya, LTW, or Seema -- not enough to get into their background and current stories. If we're only going to get 10 episodes (and at this point I don't want a second season) to find out what the original ladies' lives are like now, I don't want extra new characters jammed in. Don't dislike any of them, even Che, just don't care enough to invest in them, and they're not making me care enough either.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Basically, Carrie broke the "don't make any big decisions for 1 year" advice that is so often given to the bereaved, especially widows. Now Seema is making bank on commissions ("We'll sell it!") and Carrie is crammed into her small apartment with Big's big record collection. I'm not saying Carrie won't even make a profit on the resale, or that her being back in the old apartment is wrong, I just see feel like Carrie used to rely on Samantha to handle a lot of her stuff, and then I guess Big, and now it appears Seema is taking on that role. 

Yup, everyone is acting like Seems is god's gift, but she doesn't give a shit about Carrie!  Carrie is a client.  She could have said why are you selling your matrimonial home when your husband just died - let's take a breather.  But she clearly doesn't give a shit and Carrie decided to build a friendship upon that.  Being as impulsive and as childish as she always was.

Even on "The Office", when Michael Scott was thinking of selling his condo, the three accountants at his company freaked out and said "Michael, who gave you that advice?" and "You NEVER SELL YOUR CONDO."  And those employees didn't even respect Michael at all.  They still cared enough to say something.  I know that accountants have different priorities than realtors, but that proves that Seema sees dollar signs, not a friend.

7 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

I went back to SATC and watched a couple of episodes to see if maybe I was over-romanticizing the show in my head a bit.  Granted I watched 2 of my favorites, the post-it and Big leaving New York, but it was just so much better than this.

I saw something funny about the post-it note last week and I was thinking the same - the show was soooooooo good at that point.  Unlike with many of my other favourite shows, the final season of SATC was one of its best.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

But I have to say about the "apartment from the future", why did she buy it and not hire an interior designer and decorator to make the space her own? She clearly did that with the apartment she and Big shared. It's all white now but she can do whatever she wants. I get that she felt bad about dragging Seema around to 46 apartments and felt she had to finally buy one.

It seems to me that anyone who looks at 46 apartments and still can’t pick one doesn’t really know what they want. Or they’re so used to other people making decisions for them that they have no mind of their own.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yup, everyone is acting like Seems is god's gift, but she doesn't give a shit about Carrie!  Carrie is a client.

And she is making money from that client.  Now correct me if I'm wrong but did Carrie not say the reason her and Samantha are no longer friends is because Samantha got mad about not making as much money off Carrie as she once did? Which is all bullshit plot contrivance but now we have Carrie becoming friends with Seema who is going to make money off Carrie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

And she is making money from that client.  Now correct me if I'm wrong but did Carrie not say the reason her and Samantha are no longer friends is because Samantha got mad about not making as much money off Carrie as she once did? Which is all bullshit plot contrivance but now we have Carrie becoming friends with Seema who is going to make money off Carrie.

From what I recall, Carrie decided she did not need a publicist anymore, and she had to let Samantha go.  Samantha got very upset over this, and Carrie posited one of the reasons was money. 

With Seema, I have to think she really does want to be friends with Carrie.  I can't imagine she'd invite Carrie to a family event if this was all about making money off of her.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I can't imagine she'd invite Carrie to a family event if this was all about making money off of her.  

It might not be. But Carrie should at least acknowledge to herself her new friend is making money from her. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that but according to Carrie it was money that ended her friendship with Samantha (as ridiculous as that sounds). 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

It might not be. But Carrie should at least acknowledge to herself her new friend is making money from her. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that but according to Carrie it was money that ended her friendship with Samantha (as ridiculous as that sounds). 

So ridiculous! Like Samantha needed Carrie's money.  I can't believe she said to Miranda "I thought I was more than an ATM to her".

Samantha had Richard  a hotel magnate as a client and Jenny who's parents threw her  a million dollar sweet 16 party. Her career continued on an upward trajectory from there. I'm sure we all remember how her lifestyle was depicted when she went to Hollywood with Smith (as shown in awful movie#1). She never had money problems or had to go to Carrie to [possibly] borrow money for a down payment on an apartment. The first time Carrie had a book coming out Samantha offered her help with styling for the cover  Carrie said "you know I can't afford you" So Samantha said that's true, and that it would cost her two cocktails.

Some of these new writers might not be as intimately familiar with all these details as we are, but as SJP, CN and KD are all listed as Executive Producers, how are they letting things like this get by?

• Love 9
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

With Seema, I have to think she really does want to be friends with Carrie.  I can't imagine she'd invite Carrie to a family event if this was all about making money off of her.  

She didn't invite her.  She said she hated going alone again, by which I assume she meant without a date, and Carrie invited herself to go with Seema. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

She didn't invite her.  She said she hated going alone again, by which I assume she meant without a date, and Carrie invited herself to go with Seema. 

You are right.  Carrie suggested that she could attend so Seema would not be alone, and Seema immediately agreed to it.  My presumption would be if Seema did not want Carrie there, she would have politely declined Carrie's suggestion. 

1 hour ago, T Summer said:

Samantha had Richard  a hotel magnate as a client and Jenny who's parents threw her  a million dollar sweet 16 party. Her career continued on an upward trajectory from there. I'm sure we all remember how her lifestyle was depicted when she went to Hollywood with Smith (as shown in awful movie#1). She never had money problems or had to go to Carrie to [possibly] borrow money for a down payment on an apartment. The first time Carrie had a book coming out Samantha offered her help with styling for the cover  Carrie said "you know I can't afford you" So Samantha said that's true, and that it would cost her two cocktails.

Samantha paid $7000 a month to live in the Meatpacking District in the 90s.

lisa-rinna-lisa-rhobh.gif

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

$7,000 a month and I have to put up with a trilogy of fucking tr*nnies down there? I don't fucking think so! I am a taxpaying citizen and member of the Young Women's Business Association. I don't have to put up with this shit!

Reference:  https://www.satctranscripts.com/2008/08/sex-and-city-season-3-episode-18.html#.Yd4JgBPMJsM

Video, with timestamp:  

Earlier in the video at brunch she also says she "pays a fortune" to live there. 

Article:

https://www.sapling.com/102/we-literally-cannot-believe-how-much-rent-samantha-jones-paid

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, T Summer said:

Samantha had Richard  a hotel magnate as a client and Jenny who's parents threw her  a million dollar sweet 16 party.

I think it was a bat mitzvah, so Jenny would've been around 13. One of my favorite episodes, "Hot Child in the City." The scene where Jenny and her friends are talking about how "your column on secret sex was my life" and Carrie is trying not to laugh is hilarious. And of course Carrie's classic exit line: "...and I'm takin' it with me when I go!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I think it was a bat mitzvah, so Jenny would've been around 13. One of my favorite episodes, "Hot Child in the City." The scene where Jenny and her friends are talking about how "your column on secret sex was my life" and Carrie is trying not to laugh is hilarious. And of course Carrie's classic exit line: "...and I'm takin' it with me when I go!"

Oh that's right. thanks. I'd forgotten the details of the party

• Love 1

Since folks are talking about their favorite episodes of the original series I thought I'd do a rewatch. I'd forgotten about the Timothy Olyphant, Justin Theroux, Bradley Cooper and Mark Fuerstein appearances. The OG show is sooooo much better than the reboot.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 3
On 1/7/2022 at 1:04 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with the poster who said that there wasn't enough about Diwali for an episode fucking titled "Diwali".

That was me- and thanks!

On 1/7/2022 at 5:59 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Rock wanted to cut her hair and it looked like she did it herself, I really don't see Charlotte happy with the results of that cut, so many cute options, even a pixie would have looked cute, she got a bad cut.

I didn’t like the cut either. It looked like something Rock would do in their bathroom in a fit of frustration- not something fun or edgy. But I’m just jealous because I wasn’t allowed to cut my hair until I was TWENTY-ONE. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t like the cut either. It looked like something Rock would do in their bathroom in a fit of frustration- not something fun or edgy. But I’m just jealous because I wasn’t allowed to cut my hair until I was TWENTY-ONE. 

Your parents were wise. My Dad was supposed to trim my bangs once and he kept putting it off. In a fit of frustration I finally tried it myself. The results were...not pretty.

• LOL 3
On 1/6/2022 at 9:55 AM, RedHawk said:

You know why Seema can't get a man? Because she smokes!

Yeah!  I was surprised to see Seema and Carrie puffing away INSIDE a ride share/cab/private car!   Maybe they all were really asleep for the past 20 years because this is very 80s-90s behavior.

I'm around Carrie's age and I used to smoke  as did most of my friends but we quit 15-20 years ago.   I don't know anyone who still smokes cigarettes anymore.   That took me right out of whatever else was happening in that scene (and honestly really made me nostalgic for the cigs of my youth).

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Yeah!  I was surprised to see Seema and Carrie puffing away INSIDE a ride share/cab/private car!   Maybe they all were really asleep for the past 20 years because this is very 80s-90s behavior.

I'm around Carrie's age and I used to smoke  as did most of my friends but we quit 15-20 years ago.   I don't know anyone who still smokes cigarettes anymore.   That took me right out of whatever else was happening in that scene (and honestly really made me nostalgic for the cigs of my youth).

My ex neighbor was a heavy smoker as was her boyfriend/baby daddy they would stand outside and smoke and it would waft in thru my windows, it stunk...she also smoked all thru her pregnancy, unreal. She also told me she wouldn't have the baby vaccinated because she did not want chemicals in his system as an infant, really.

6 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I also think that's--illegal? When Bloomberg was Mayor, he effectively ended most smoking in NYC because he made it illegal to smoke inside most workplaces. That driver can't avoid the smoke.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I worked in an office until 2016 and I think about 10-15 people all smoked, and they all smoked together, like 100 times a day.  It's so rude to smoke in another person's car though.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I don't get the point of Seema smoking and that being used to return Carrie to an old bad habit. Which I assume she'll give up to become the new mature post-Big Carrie. Or maybe she'll run into Aidan when she's having a cig with Seema. Oops, no repeat kiss, Carrie! (I would love to see that scene.)

I think the car is Seema's personal car and she hires the driver, otherwise there's no way she'd be allowed to smoke in a shared car, and yes, she is subjecting her employee to the smoke, though maybe he smokes, too. Gag. Why are we having characters smoke in 2022?

Also, isn't it something of a stereotype that Asians smoke heavily? 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I worked in an office until 2016 and I think about 10-15 people all smoked, and they all smoked together, like 100 times a day.  It's so rude to smoke in another person's car though.  

It is near impossible to get the smell out of a car.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, RedHawk said:

So I actually related to this episode. I totally understand Carrie's jokes about too much sun and wearing sunglasses indoors. I moved from mostly eastern-facing windows to floor-to-ceiling western-facing windows with a totally unobstructed view -- that lets in ALL the sun. I just had not thought about how much sun would come in. I actually have to wear sunscreen even when I'm not stepping outdoors, and I had to move bookshelves and things due to fading. I love my views but I was right with her on the "Maybe there's too much sun?" because that's what I think every time there's an apartment with huge windows and someone cooing "Oh, there's so much light!"

Also, the beeping was hilarious because it WAS my dishwasher. And of course it kept happening in the middle of the night. No amount of pushing the button would "cancel" it. I wash dishes by hand (I cook about as often as Carrie does) and fortunately the DW is on its own separate fuse so I just went to the fusebox and flipped it to OFF. 

Didn't need the flashbacks to Miranda's big sexual awakening with Che, but they did tell us that she and Che haven't done anything since then. If I was Miranda I'd be more upset about that than anything. 

I did like the fight at the picnic; it seemed real, especially the comments about dying hair and getting work done. The scene in the plastic surgeon's office felt right out of real life. Most are very attractive because they've all had work done! And the way they reel you in by being first sort of flirtatious and saying how good you look and then suggesting how you could look so much better. I haven't been there but it rings true to what I've heard. Like, he flattered Anthony but suggested Botox and was quick to move right over and set up the injections. It's a business.

I did like how Carrie saw herself as 15 years younger and faced (pun intended) that she's changed. I feel about the same when I see photos of myself 15 years ago and realize how good I looked versus how "tired" I look now. "The Age" hit me in my mid 50s just like it's hitting these women. I've advised a couple of younger friends that a healthy diet, good sleep, and giving up alcohol (they both drink daily, yeah, problematic) can be very helpful in postponing some of the effects. And Miranda actually mentioned menopause! 

I thought Charlotte was looking better in the last episode, but I was distracted by Kristin Davis’ face in this episode, especially her mouth. It looked off. 

I’m glad they handled the plastic surgery/aging storyline head on. I think Cynthia Nixon looks really good, the best of the three actresses. 

Carrie’s sari outfit was ridiculous. I’m sorry. I know she’s very thin, but that outfit wasn’t flattering. 

I was distracted by Carrie’s outfit in the apartment scene. I could see through her dress and there was a stain or spot on the front of it or something weird. 

I liked the picnic scene. Best one of the episode IMO. 

Is Anthony really older than Carrie? He looks at least 10 years younger. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
On 1/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, Trillian said:

Maybe it’s because I watched on a small screen, but, when I saw Carrie with that ridiculous hopped skirt sari and hairpiece, I thought she was channeling Scarlett O’Ohara in the “I saw it in the window and couldn’t resist” (TM Carol Burnett) scene.

image.thumb.jpeg.3860c32d695f1f027b911cb346b6a628.jpegimage.jpeg.a9db0dba4b043bffbba062e7f9e4ec5f.jpeg

On 1/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, RedHawk said:

You know why Seema can't get a man? Because she smokes! I get that some wealthy women still smoke on the sly as a tool to stay super-skinny. However, most people now think it's a nasty habit and don't want to date someone who smokes. (Hi, Aiden!) Of all my friends and acquaintances, I think only 1 still smokes. It's not cool, and it will put the age on you, too.

Also, some people still smoke because it's something they've been addicted to since they were pretty young, often from their preteen or teen years. 

On 1/6/2022 at 3:59 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I wish the doctor had mentioned how Carrie’s years of smoking had taken a toll on her skin.

That would have been a good callback. I think Carrie looks older than 55 in terms of her face, neck, and skin. And smoking will definitely do that. Has her smoking been mentioned on AJLT at all?

On 1/6/2022 at 7:26 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm ticked off that after the whole scene in the sari shop with the cringe dialog about cultural appropriation, Carrie ended up not even wearing a sari to Seema's family Diwali celebration. Also, I've never seen an Indian woman do her hair with an elaborate braid hairpiece and flowers like Carrie did. I don't know what she was showing appreciation for but it sure wasn't the Hindu culture.

The scene with Brady talking to Miranda through the door while she's masturbating was terrible. And Cynthia Nixon apparently directed this episode, so it was her choice? Barf.

My refrigerator beeps when one of the doors isn't properly closed and that took me a while to figure out the first time it happened, so I could relate to that scene. That apartment was obviously the wrong choice for Carrie, and maybe she should stay in her old place for a year before she picks a new one. She's still grieving and not making rational decisions. BTW, did anyone else get the sense that Seema is taking advantage of Carrie's poor decision making? As Carrie's real estate agent, she gets a 3% commission from every real estate transaction Carrie makes - buying or selling - so it's more advantageous for her to sell Carrie the wrong place at first, re-sell the wrong place, and have her buy yet another place. That's three commissions instead of one (plus the one she got for selling the place she shared with Big).

The scene in the plastic surgeon's office was preposterous. The "simulation" was obviously an old picture of SJP in her 30s. Plastic surgery never works that way.

I think Carrie selected a lehenga she really loved and I don't know that her hair needs to be in a particular style to be appropriate. 

Also, when you say the masturbation scene (which I thought was cringe) was Cynthia Nixon's choice, do you mean how she chose to play it? 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:06 PM, TooMuchRealityTV said:

I didn't care all that much about Rock wanting to cut their hair and change their side of their room. Even if Rock had remained Rose, kids do want to change their rooms and their looks as they get older. Dolls aren't cool after a certain age, even for kids who identify as girls. This didn't strike me as all that big of a deal. In fact I'm surprised Lilly never brought up changing the room on her own. The room does look a little... young.

That room looked like the kind of room I would have had umpteen years ago. Even kids who identify as girls and who like pink and flowers, etc. would not want that room. It was so dated! I'm also surprised neither of those kids has mentioned anything before now. 

On 1/7/2022 at 1:50 AM, RealHousewife said:

Ditto! They're so wealthy Charlotte orders very expensive designer dresses for a child who hates them. Even middle-class kids that age typically have their own bedrooms. 

Those designer dresses were hideous LOL. 

And I think the reason the kids share a room is that Charlotte lives in a (very on-brand) classic six apartment. They only have 2 bedrooms. The rooms are huge but there aren't many of them. I've seen many wealthy families like Charlotte's buy a second classic six apartment next door or upstairs/downstairs and combine it so they have a bigger apartment instead of just going to a different type of home altogether. I feel like that would be a realistic story for Charlotte. 

On 1/7/2022 at 6:48 AM, Toodleoo said:

Eventually you have to choose your ass or your face. SJP has chosen her ass.

(probably some hard work to choose the ass that strongly tho, props)

Ha! I have heard that saying before. Honestly, though, I think it's genetics. Some people can work out a few times a week and eat right and stay toned even past a certain age. Some people eat right and work out more than that but have to work harder to be toned. 

In SJP's case, I think she just has certain features that make her look more mature. 

On 1/7/2022 at 10:33 AM, ifionlyknew said:

We don't know what the remaining episodes hold but other than Che leaving the show I am never going to like the character.  I wish we knew if the writers (or Cynthia Nixon) think Che was the right character for Miranda to develop feelings for.  I see zero chemistry and no matter how much they have Miranda say Che makes her feel alive and yadda yadda yadda I just don't see it. I'm pretty sure the show is using Miranda to show you fall in love with the person and not the gender but they chose the wrong person. It should have been Dr. Wallace.

I'm never going to like Che either. I am OK with Miranda's opening up to finding love with someone new and of a different gender but not if she's cheating on Steve. And I also agree Che wasn't the right person for Miranda. Gender identity aside, they just aren't a good match. Miranda is in awe of the freedom they represent, rather than the actual person. On the flip, Dr. Wallace have had more honest moments together that I could see leading to something else if the show wanted to go that route. It would feel more organic and would also explain why, in this episode, we saw the professor in scenes without the main cast. However, I do wish they had made Miranda a professor instead of a grad student so they'd be on equal footing. 

• Love 1

We were talking about smoking being depicted on this show. 
I'm sorry to report that New York Times is reporting that smoking is making a comeback right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/12/style/smoking-cigarettes-comeback.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR0-tEPdybMUNM0mG158oyBPtHZ2F1bHvOI8Auok1rpN77LgwsM8xSVuyno

Cigarettes are still the No. 1 cause of preventable death in the U.S., according to the CDC. Yet, in 2020, for the first time in two decades, cigarette sales increased.

That cloud of smoke you may have noticed wafting on city streets is not a mirage: Cigarettes have made a comeback with a younger crowd who knows better. Across New York City, as the pandemic waxes and wanes, a social activity that had seemed diminished, or replaced (with vapes, cannabis and education), seems to have reappeared.

Cigarette smoking has been in a steady decline among adults in the U.S. for 30 years. David Hammond, a professor of public health at the University of Waterloo, said the drop had been fueled largely by young people.

“Anecdotally, you hear a lot of stories about New Yorkers who are celebrating being out of their homes with excess,” said Michael Seilback, the national assistant vice president for state public policy at the American Lung Association. “The questions researchers are trying to figure out are: Are we actually seeing more smokers? Are we seeing more frequent smokers? Or is the time we weren’t going out erasing the memory of what it was to have smokers standing outside bars? All of those are possible.”

Have cigarettes – those filthy, cancer-causing things – lost their taboo? Read more here: https://nyti.ms/33BejW6

Photos by Dolly Faibyshev and Michelle Groskopf.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

This episode felt as empty as Carrie's new CGI apartment.

Why are we watching Miranda's professor and her husband having sex immediately following a scene totally removed from Carrie, Charlotte or Miranda?   Are the professor and her husband main characters now?

Hate that the show squandered the beauty of Indian saris and Hindu culture on that brief scene which seemed to serve no purpose other than to let Carrie sashay down the brownstone steps in yet another outfit.

I think Charlotte's plaintive "Why can't everybody just stay who they were?" is a question on the minds of many people today.   IMO it's okay to ask the question, but people should be willing to listen to the answers.

Carrie snapping at Charlotte at the picnic, dismissing her shock at Miranda's revelation by saying, "Big is dead, that's real," was pretty condescending.   Like everything else is trivial, only Carrie's feelings register on the realness scale.  But Carrie has always been a self-centered asshole.

The poor little rich girl routine is wearing thin.   I can't relate to the idea that she doesn't feel at home in a multi-million dollar apartment overlooking the Hudson.  Or that she's tempted by the idea of having a $100K facelift.   Problems of the one percent.   Go away, Carrie.

• Love 7
On 1/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, chitowngirl said:

I’m guessing that Anthony is in scenes that were meant for Stanford. He does mention that Charlotte was busy, that’s why he was with Carrie.

Thank GOD for Anthony, I laugh out loud at all of his scenes.  He is a bright spot in an awful show.

On 1/8/2022 at 7:41 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Can anyone think of a male character on a long-running show that was a fan favorite and was recently killed off? The only one that comes to mind for me was Big, and although AJLT is a new show it is basically a continuation of SATC. 

Anyway, there's a blind item on the Blind Gossip site that claims that show's writers want to find a way to bring the character back to goose the show's ratings, which are abysmal. Poor ratings also says AJLT to me.

Very big spoiler for another show -

Spoiler

Dexter

I don't think those ratings were bad, I think they are good and they are now upset they killed him off.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, Cosmocrush said:

I was a smoker from 13-33, quit when I got pregnant, and I have kind of started smoking again...  here and there.  I missed it.  I hear it is coming back.

I think Seema has a private driver, but I have been with people who smoke in an uber.  Not sure about NYC I am in Chicago. 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:13 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

We were talking about smoking being depicted on this show. 
I'm sorry to report that New York Times is reporting that smoking is making a comeback right now

The thing about smoking and this show ... not just now, but in the past ... I see Carrie and Seema, two women obviously very wrapped up in how they look, with their clothes and shoes and hair .... I see them smoking and all I can think (and I know I'm probably weird this way) is that their lungs are black and diseased and clotted with tar.   That behind the expensive facade, these women are literally rotting on the inside.   And that's not even considering how their clothes and hair must reek.   It kind of ruins the whole fabulosity of the moment.

• Love 4

For all the hullaboo the show went through of having her quit smoking for Aidan only to have her pick it up again in Paris with the Russian (“it’s killing me!” - well, actually, yes) and then she apparently quit again (I don’t think we saw her smoke in either of the two movies) but now picks it up again because Seema smokes and is cool…and just, like, pick a lane.  I’m sure the intention is that it’s Carrie returning to her old self but it’s not just a cute accessory to be trotted out.  

Not that I want to give the writers more “wow, these characters are old!” material but vaping apparently doesn’t exist in this show?  (This applies to Che too — I think they 1000% would be the type to have an cool expensive designer weed vape pen - heck, they’d probably have said vape pen company be a sponsor of the podcast.)

• Love 1

Any long-time smoker can attest that it can be dangerously easy to pick up the habit again, particularly in stressful times. I've had my own struggles of leaving it behind for years only to fall off the wagon. (Back on it though. A pandemic attacking the respiratory system seems like a great time to quit.) I've left out most of my personal reasons for finding things relatable in my various posts, but Carrie smoking again seems pretty universal for habitual quitters -- i.e., ones who have made a habit out of perpetually quitting, then picking it up again.

(Yes, plenty of ex-smokers quit and never pick it up again, even finding the smell nauseating once they're over it. Just as many pick it back up again, though. That's why it's an addiction.)

Edited by Rai
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Rai said:

(Yes, plenty of ex-smokers quit and never pick it up again, even finding the smell nauseating once they're over it. Just as many pick it back up again, though. That's why it's an addiction.)

Heck. I started when I was 10, quit right before I turned 21 (awful time to quit by the way), and although I now find the smell disgusting, I still snuck one or two a year pre covid. I consider myself lucky to never have gotten fully ensnared again.

• Love 1