Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Diwali

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

In fact I'm surprised Lilly never brought up changing the room on her own. The room does look a little... young.

Being the oldest Lily may have let Rose/Rock have her way with the room. Older siblings are expected to bend to the younger ones a lot of the time. 

Im surprised that they share! Especially since there aren’t any other relatives living there. Even if Harry had an office, 4 bedrooms would be reasonable in an apartment that size. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Ok, the line “Your mother wants to know if you’ve gotten a new SARI for the DIWALI PARTY,” complete with immigrant parent accent (tm) , followed by extremely shoehorned apropos-of-nothing reference to matchmaking, has got to win the award for “Hey, see how INCLUSIVE we’re being!  These people are INDIAN!  Can you tell?”  Absolute CRINGE.   Like, sure, that’s exactly what the father would have called to talk about right then, because, Indian.  Can they not just hire people of different ethnicities/backgrounds?  Does it have to be ABOUT that, all the time with these characters? Sometimes “diverse” people talk about, I dunno, regular stuff, like their jobs, or what they had for lunch. Sometimes they just exist.   But not on this show.  Indian?  Must be Diwali.  Gender nonconforming?  Must talk about it incessantly including unfunny standup routine.  Black?  Must make every interaction with them awkward/must get turned away from every entrance.  Ugh with this!  And asking whether it’s “allowed” to wear a Sari to this party?  When the Indian woman herself was the one who suggested it to you?    Like, that’s NOT what cultural appropriation is, and if you think it is, well, that’s where you’re being a tad unaware.  (Same with the dolls.  Traditional dress exists.  Are we not allowed to own any depiction of it?  Is it inaccurate?) And also, asking for a “complete explanation” of the holiday itself?  Patronizing.  These people don’t need to be the token explainers/absolvers.  It’s all written to center the white people, and their experience, in the narrative, which is what they are allegedly trying not to do.  

So diversity is welcomed but don't make it obvious? Okay.

• Love 5

What I get from this forum is that we are all distinct people,  there is no way to "be" at any age,  and,  as women,  we should all shut the F up criticizing and start to support each other because no one else is going to do that. 

• Love 9

Did anyone else notice that when Carrie slammed the dishwasher shut the entire island shook and all the cabinets were misaligned? I know this is a minor thing and it is obviously a film set, but it is just the inexplicable careless attention to detail everywhere in this show. Someone noticed this and was just like, fuck it, Carrie lives a terribly built apartment.

Edited by John M
  • LOL 7
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

And "I can see clearly now" is one of my all time faves. It's my theme song! (Remember when we all had those after Ally McBeal? No?)

The female singer of it was Grace Vanderwall. She's an indie singer, and she's only 17. And this is a funny fact i just learned: she's from Suffern, NY. Ha. 

Thanks for that! I did a quick Google search that didn't turn up anything then had to run.

I actually have spent some time in Suffern, New York. Sterling Forest to be exact.

🃏🎪👑🎻🥁📯🪔🏹🗝️🛡️🕌⚔️⚜️📜🏕️

Oh wow...there's actually a sari icon 🥻

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

And I would have thought Charlotte would have been more judgmental about Miranda cheating on Steve rather than Miranda possibly being a lesbian.  

This! I get Charlotte being upset, because I expected that. But no mention of Steve at all?! So unlike Charlotte. Remember when Carrie told her about her affair with Big? Charlotte was the first one among the women who asked Carrie, “did you ever think about Natasha?”

And Miranda using her vibrator in bed? Was this daytime when Steve is supposedly working at the bar? Because between this and Charlotte’s reaction above, I thought I had missed something where Miranda and Steve already separated.

Did Carrie really ever move? Because she didn’t even make an effort to actually bring any of her personal stuff into the new house. It’s just a wasted plot point about realizing she is already where she belongs. 

And that dinner and sex scene with Miranda’s professor is probably the one and only scene that I can remember ever where not one of the four women is in. Usually, there’s always one of them anchoring a scene either with their lovers, or other friends. It just feels so…bizarre. I was kind of half expecting for Miranda to show up during that dinner because it felt weird not seeing any of the ladies. Another instance where Samantha’s absence really dug a huge hole they’re desperate to fill. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

And that dinner and sex scene with Miranda’s professor is probably the one and only scene that I can remember ever where not one of the four women is in. Usually, there’s always one of them anchoring a scene either with their lovers, or other friends. It just feels so…bizarre. I was kind of half expecting for Miranda to show up during that dinner because it felt weird not seeing any of the ladies. Another instance where Samantha’s absence really dug a huge hole they’re desperate to fill. 

Yes, I thought Miranda was going to show up at the dinner. 

• Love 4

I'm not done with the episode yet, but I had to come say that the sex scene with Nya and Dante was the first (IMHO) sexy sex scene of the series. 

Also, Charlotte bringing up how fillers aren't the end of the world felt tacked on after the criticism of KD's fillers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

I liked how Charlotte is handling Rock.  she's a bit flummoxed with all the changes, but she's making some compromises and letting Rock have their identity.  I too was surprised Rock and Lily share a room.

SJP must have several wigs/extensions.  there's no way her natural hair is long enough for that braid, we've never seen it that long when she has it straight or curly (because down hair is longer than in a braid, especially one wrapped around a bun).

I didn't get why she kept Big's suits.  Is that really going to be her next look, draping the jacket over whatever she's wearing?

I've never had a dishwasher that beeped for no reason, or because the door was open, only when the wash cycle was finished.  i presumed it was a smoke alarm needing a new battery.  maybe CO2 alarms are the same?  Agreed that the white apartment was no where near Carrie's style.  Seema though will love her continued commissions. 

Miranda continues to have bad timing and double standards.

• Love 5

The Carrie moving plot felt a little unnecessary. Are they already running out of things to do with her?

I don’t get this comment. Carrie finding a place to live after a major upset in her life is the only thing she can thing of right now. Being widowed is terribly traumatic, esp. when one is younger and when it’s sudden and unexpected. It takes time for the widow to figure out whether to stay where the memories are, or move on and make new ones. It’s a tough choice. Carrie is lucky enough to have options, financially. Although I thought that all-white apartment was hideous. The terrace was fabulous, but the interior looked like a it was set up for surgery. So cold and sterile, all sharp edges. You can have contemporary without looking like you’re living in an operating theatre.

I really liked this episode, actually, other than the masturbating. 

The picnic scene was great. As others have said, it felt like OG SATC. Charlotte’s reaction was very Charlotte, and Carrie’s little offhand comments were very old school. Plus, I’d love to have a picnic in the park with my friends, except with real wine, of course.

If others hadn’t mentioned the dinner and sex scene with the professor, I’d have forgotten about them. Not sure what the point was, bringing in some C-level characters to punt up the plot line of a B-level character? 

• Love 11

PSA: Che is not a woman, and Miranda is not a lesbian. I do appreciate that Miranda (or maybe Carrie) corrected Charlotte for that (and Charlotte corrected herself when addressing her kids). And while Charlotte was right that their gender is not the point, there's no need to be misgendering people when yelling at your friend.

I seriously can't believe Miranda TOLD Charlotte. Even Carrie knowing was bad idea jeans. Like, if you're going to divorce your husband, okay, but it's freaking Charlotte. If you talk to her about your cheating, you should be prepared to be shamed for it. Did you expect a round of applause? I do appreciate that they're drinking alcohol-free wine, though. I've been curious about that stuff, given I'm cutting back on drinks and trying to support some friends who have stopped altogether. It's not an easy thing and it's nice to see them address it beyond just watching her dump her collection of booze down the sink.

Like some of you, I noticed that for all her sari-gushing, Carrie didn't even wear a sari! But I figured the outfit must have been Seema-approved, and I'm not Indian, so I am not in a position to criticize. I actually enjoyed the conversation in the sari shop. It was similar to one I've had with a friend, who invites us to Diwali and lends us clothes for it. It's a really wonderful celebration, and everyone there was so welcoming and proud that we were participating in their celebration. It's one of my favorite memories around the holiday season.

2 hours ago, John M said:

Did anyone else notice that when Carrie slammed the dishwasher shut the entire island shook and all the cabinets were misaligned? I know this is a minor thing and it is obviously a film set, but it is just the inexplicable careless attention to detail everywhere in this show. Someone noticed this and was just like, fuck it, Carrie lives a terribly built apartment.

YES! I cringed. I was hopeful that was just a hastily-put-together set and not a real apartment. Also, she had a big spot on her dress near her left hip. I can't believe the costume dept. dropped the ball on that one--Carrie is usually dressed so impeccably.

Edited by monagatuna
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Re: misaligned cabinets: (I failed to quote again)

I probably would've if I hadn't been watching on such a small  TV. I did notice the dishwasher door not closing properly and though what  was up with that? TBH I didn't get why they took up time with the whole something beeping bit.

Edited by T Summer
added context
  • Love 2

Did anyone else laugh at the idea that the simulation of Carrie after plastic surgery took only 15 years off? To me it looked more like 30 years, because the result looked more like a twentysomething than 40.

Also laughable: Carrie calling for someone in maintenance to come up when she’s wearing a dress that’s a little too see-through. First noticed that in the earlier scene when the beeping started.

I wish Charlotte would get the stick out of her butt already! She seems so damned determined to shoehorn everyone into some mental box in which they have to remain unchanged forever, and gets so loudly offended if they don’t. It’s really not up to her or about her! I feel bad for Rock. Having a mother like Charlotte isn’t going to make their life easy. Hey, Charlotte: I’m a 64-year-old cishet woman and I have NO problem with the change of name or pronouns or clothing, so what’s your damage? Let people be who they are. Is the concept really that difficult? And as to hair: if your kid cuts (and/or dyes) their hair in a way you dislike, so what? It’s just hair, it’ll grow back, and you’re not the one wearing it anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Like, that’s NOT what cultural appropriation is, and if you think it is, well, that’s where you’re being a tad unaware.

Unfortunately, there are many these days who would indeed declare it appropriation.  That's why I was pleased to see the scene where Seema made a distinction between appropriation and appreciation.  That all too often has become lost,   

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

A woman that’s never partnered at 53 has had a very different life experience than a widow or a divorced person, and their perspective deserves to be shared too.

Even the most marriage pushy parents would have backed off by the time their single offspring was in their 50's, particularly considering that a major aspect of being marriage pushy is the desire for grandchildren.  That ship has generally sailed by 53.

15 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why would Carrie buy that sterile apartment? I get she wants to move forward but it was not even in a part of the city she ever wanted to live in, why would Seema who seemas to know Carrie a bit more now even suggest that place?  I would have enjoyed that view but the apartment was a no from me.  The beeping was stupid, the place was empty so it could only be a few things, smoke detector would have been my go to, not the dishwasher that had never been used.  Seema tells Carrie that she can just sell that apartment and Carrie is literally surprised by that, really, why wouldn't Seema want to sell and resell an apartment, Seema has a cash cow.

The Carrie character buying an apartment like that is completely out of character and stupid.  Also, it would appear that Steve is not the only one with hearing loss if Carrie was unable to identify the source of the beeping in that essentially empty apartment within a short time.  The only thing that rang true to me was a high power real estate agent taking advantage of a wealthy sucker who could easily be manipulated. Ka-ching!

2 hours ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

Watching her be not the least bit remorseful about cheating with Che, and not even considering being honest with her husband has ruined the character for me. Also, the thing with her masturbating while Brady is talking behind the door was just gross.

Yup.

38 minutes ago, buttersister said:

I think that's what's going on in the writers' room.

Too bad it it's not great writing.

1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

And that dinner and sex scene with Miranda’s professor is probably the one and only scene that I can remember ever where not one of the four women is in. Usually, there’s always one of them anchoring a scene either with their lovers, or other friends. It just feels so…bizarre.

That was weird.  Are they planning to expand the core group or just trying hard to make up for the lack of diversity in previous seasons?  The thing I appreciated most about the original series was the tight friendship/love between the four main character. Heavily featuring characters outside of the inner circle takes away from that.  I hope they either bring in some diversity with a Samantha replacement who is tight with each of the core or stop going in this loosey goosey direction.  

Also, what was up with the see through outfit SJP was wearing with her ridiculous hat while in her lab white kitchen?  Her navel was so evident I first thought it was a button.  

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Did anyone else laugh at the idea that the simulation of Carrie after plastic surgery took only 15 years off? To me it looked more like 30 years, because the result looked more like a twentysomething than 40.

I noticed that, too, and it seemed like a good thing to me in relation to the decision the show clearly wanted Carrie to make about the procedure. That is, the younger image looked like young Carrie but also not--and some of that was in its being too young.  It was somehow a bit off in the way that facelifts often are when they’re not quite right, taking away a little bit of the distinctness of your face.  

In response to someone above, I think the episode is called Diwali because we’re supposed to see it as people coming to light from darkness—Carrie coming to feel that even in grief you can feel happy about the times you had and how they made you, Charlotte coming to see what she could do to love her kid, even Miranda coming out of her confusion about her feelings to know that she wanted to contact Che (however one feels about that).  I appreciated the episode returning to the old SATC practice of having a theme that united the stories.

Edited by marybennet
silly typos
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, ichbin said:

The only thing that rang true to me was a high power real estate agent taking advantage of a wealthy sucker who could easily be manipulated. Ka-ching!

Carrie mentioned that she and Seema had seen multiple apartments over a three month period before the one she chose.  If Seema's goal was to use Carrie as an easy money making tool, she's doing a bad job of it.

24 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I hope they either bring in some diversity with a Samantha replacement who is tight with each of the core or stop going in this loosey goosey direction.  

I think they've just done a bad job setting up the relationship between Miranda and her professor.  Unlike with Lisa/Charlotte or Seema/Carrie, the relationship seems forced to me.  I feel like Nya in particular, as a professor, would be wary of blurring boundaries between being a teacher and friend with one of her students.    

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I feel like Nya in particular, as a professor, would be wary of blurring boundaries between being a teacher and friend with one of her students.  

Good point. Lisa/Charlotte and Carrie/Seema all started from a professional relationship where it wouldn’t be unethical to be friendly. Miranda/Nya’s relationship has a power structure where they can have problems later on. Nya herself said she has the poweR to fail Miranda if the latter talks about her.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, T Summer said:

I can't even express how much I wish Charlotte and family were off doing something in some remote corner of the world where there's no  internet. I HATE  this Charlotte! Even when she's saying something that is so in accord with the character   we've  known  like at the park, I  can't help but think why the f' is she talking like that? Every time I see her I have  her scenes   from the early years of SATC  playing in my head and I can't get why KD would portray a smart classy woman acting ditzier and  speaking in a more exaggerated baby talking fashion as she matures?

Honestly, and I say this as a big Charlotte fan, she's always had her ditzy side. 

At the top of my head-Do you think my hair is too shiny today?

6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The scene in the plastic surgeon's office was preposterous. The "simulation" was obviously an old picture of SJP in her 30s. Plastic surgery never works that way.

True. If it did, everyone with money would be lined up for face lifts. I've seen some good face lifts where the results are a lifted, younger look, but no they don't exactly just give you your old (young) girlish face again. Hopefully they will by the time I need one! lol

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

But I could see Charlotte fantasying about Che- Che has a very masculine centered energy and swagger I think Charlotte would find attractive. Alone sex dream would not be so weird. 

This is a good point! When you have a very feminine energy like Charlotte, you are attracted to masculine energy. I can see Charlotte finding Che sexy even if she has no desire to act on it. 

I thought this was a better episode. The argument between Miranda and Charlotte felt more organic. Unpopular here, but I actually felt for Miranda in that scene. Even though I feel awful for Steve, Cynthia really delivered acting wise. I felt her pain of being unhappy. It felt like Charlotte was kicking her friend when she was down. But I can't blame her for being surprised. We would all be shocked if one of our best friends just busted out news like that. 

I also thought SJP did a beautiful job when she was going through the boxes. Sometimes Carrie comes across pretty chipper for someone going through what she is, but today we saw that she is still grieving a great loss. 

Im surprised that they share! Especially since there aren’t any other relatives living there. Even if Harry had an office, 4 bedrooms would be reasonable in an apartment that size. 

Ditto! They're so wealthy Charlotte orders very expensive designer dresses for a child who hates them. Even middle-class kids that age typically have their own bedrooms. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6

God I wanted to puke every time Miranda had her fantasy of Che. I hate Che so much. So Miranda doesn’t feel bad at all I guess about Steve or his feelings. Did she forget how she felt when he cheated. How come we haven’t seen Steve in so long. Charlotte shouldn’t have apologized to Miranda. I hate Miranda too. Talk to your husband for fucks sake. You can’t just date Che. If you are unhappy tell Steve and split up. What Miranda is doing is gross. Plus her nickname Rambo is fucking idiotic.

Charlotte was talking about his charismatic Che is and how she had a fantasy about Che too. Please show stop trying to force us into thinking Che is so great. Che is trash and  not funny at all and is a stupid try hard trying to seem so edgy.

Why am I even watching this stupid show.

Carrie being shocked she can sell her apartment. What a moron. Of course Seema is like wooo another commission.

The beeping pissed me off. It wouldn’t be that hard to figure out where it was coming from.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21

That was cool of the plastic surgeon to add Carrie’s mole back in that simulation. Ah yesteryear, what sales tactics that guy had.

I enjoyed the interaction between Seema and Anthony at the downtown apartment. Rawrr, cat claw back, you’re fab, no YOU’RE fab, yes we are, ok moment over see ya later.

As someone upthread noted, Seema’s dad was portrayed by the same actor who portrayed the Pakistani busboy who kissed Samantha in season 2. If you check Ajay Mehta’s filmography at IMDB you’ll find he has been in just about every major television show; he has 100 roles to his name.

I appreciated that Carrie’s lehenga was more muted than some of the clothing in the store, that felt like a nod of respectfulness to me. Which was totally upstaged by the headpiece but ah well.

Could have done without the parody-of-Axe-cologne-commercials fantasy Che/Miranda scenes but overall Cynthia Nixon’s directing of this episode really brought it back to SATC territory for me.  Well done on her. If we had to have those scenes just so we could have the picnic and storage unit scenes then I’m ok with that.

The way they are portraying Charlotte’s earnest, loving approach to Rock’s journey is sweet with realistic notes of discomfort and wistfulness; it seems like a very real reaction a parent would have as opposed to someone knowing 100% how to react all of the time.

I’m no longer hate-watching the show, I actually enjoyed this one. It does seem like they had to cut out some Big scenes (such as the weird throwaway scene near the beginning where she is in her old apartment and says “this isn’t healthy). It was too discordant with the episode to have been originally filmed that way.

Also kind of enjoyed the pink sun hat, yellow light, and blue pan as the trio of color in the I-owned-it-for-30-seconds apartment.

For those looking for songs in the episodes, I use the Shazam app A LOT with very good success, and the Tunefind website can also be a good source for such but it may take a few weeks for the song info to get filled in.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also- while I like Seema as a character I wish they would’ve developed her more. A woman that’s never partnered at 53 has had a very different life experience than a widow or a divorced person, and their perspective deserves to be shared too. Making up a fake boyfriend? In my head Seema is far too fabulous for that. Ugh I miss Samantha to fill in this role. 

I like Seema too and would like to see her character developed more. Although I was disappointed she needed to make up a fake boyfriend. I feel she's much better than that. 

I always liked Samantha the best, but I'm fine with her not being in this series. I can't even imagine how her character would have worked given the writing so far. The writers might have ruined her character in some way.

One major thing missing is the humor from SATC. I'm starting to like AJLT more, but it's mood is more melancholy and serious. Not everything about aging is depressing. 

It's a privilege to be able to grow old. Physically it might not feel that way, but it beats dying young and missing out on what could have been.

I wish the writers would inject more humor into this series. The show needs it.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 15
20 hours ago, Trillian said:

Maybe it’s because I watched on a small screen, but, when I saw Carrie with that ridiculous hopped skirt sari and hairpiece, I thought she was channeling Scarlett O’Ohara in the “I saw it in the window and couldn’t resist” (TM Carol Burnett) scene.

image.thumb.jpeg.3860c32d695f1f027b911cb346b6a628.jpegimage.jpeg.a9db0dba4b043bffbba062e7f9e4ec5f.jpeg

There comes a time in our lives when we just can’t wear the same things we did 20 or so years ago. We can be beautiful but age appropriate, for lack of a better phrase. Carrie had always dressed like a loon but on a nearing 60 year old woman it’s likely to have you marked as mentally ill. As far as this outfit, no one wants to see the menopausal/ normal aging rolls of skin. Also the slicked back hair is way too severe. I know all about thinning & how it restricts hairstyles but she do have to pull it back this way. It ages her. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I wish the doctor had mentioned how Carrie’s years of smoking had taken a toll on her skin.

Does she smoke in real life? Cause wow, her face looks pretty bad for her age. Surprised because she must executor keep so fit & chances are she had a chef. 

• Love 2

I was just annoyed that throughout the picnic scene with all the "But you're married to a man!" comments not once did anyone use the name "Steve." WHY did they totally avoid using his name? That's adding insult to injury in that he's no longer even a person, just a vague entity. I feel like surely to god someone would have made the one simple and direct statement "When Steve cheated you absolutely flipped your shit- how is this any different?" Both Charlotte and Carrie should have taken her to task on that far more closely instead of being sidelined by the lesbian BS.   
The past two episodes CN's red hair has been clearly visible at the nape of her neck as if that hideous wig was slapped on right as she walked in to do the scene with zero adjustment. That is just sloppy work- does no one give them a once over to ensure that they are camera ready? It looks like the older men that buy used toupees at Goodwill and stick them on their heads with no thought to anything. It's ridiculous.

I agree the white apartment was stark, but it was empty- any empty apartment is going to feel that way especially when everything is white. Once you bring in color and art for the walls and scatter some texture around it could quite easily be made to be very attractive and even have a cozy spot or two.
And yes, the labels on those packing boxes were obvious and clearly very detailed.  And IMO any competent packing/moving service is going to have at least one box labeled for immediate use- a coffee pot, bedding, paper towels, toilet paper etc.

Great name for the next reboot- "How stupid do they think we are?"

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, T Summer said:

Does anyone know who was singing I Can See Clearly Now as the credits rolled? (It switched from the Jimmy Cliffs version to a female singer)

Johnny Nash. Always loved that song. I was enjoying listening to it at the end. Had it turned up & was back in my memories when they switched to that awful version sung by whoever it was. She ruined it. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Does she smoke in real life? Cause wow, her face looks pretty bad for her age. Surprised because she must executor keep so fit & chances are she had a chef. 

Eventually you have to choose your ass or your face. SJP has chosen her ass.

(probably some hard work to choose the ass that strongly tho, props)

Edited by Toodleoo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, greekmom said:

Why do I think that Carrie will eventually buy back the apartment that she lived with John after it's been redecorated and some light interior renovations?

Miranda masturbating and Brady outside her door was another cringy moment.  And where is Steve?

Why would the packers (because Seema arranged all that) not label the boxes at least? You know, kitchenware, records, clothing, etc

Charlotte packing the Madame Alexander dolls reminded me when she packed away her Christmas decorations before she fully became Jewish.

I'm glad they didn't pursue the drinking issue with Miranda. But all this time she's has not confronted her husband about her one time stand.

Miranda just disgusts me. I can’t remember if she was this gross in the original. And why must Cynthia Nixon make her charActer’s sexuality match her real life one? 

• Love 11

I didn't hate this episode - but we get it, Cynthia - you came out late in life.  Good.  But did you have to ruin Miranda in the process?  (And Miranda being lesbian is not what ruined her - her actions are so far removed from what we were accustomed to THAT is what's ruining Miranda.  It's like what GoT did to Dani - spend all the seasons building her into one kind of character, then taking the current season to use that character as a 'PSYCH! on the audience!)

Can someone tell me what the hell was the point of the beeping?  (And that apartment was niiiiccceee!  Given what Carrie must have inherited after Big's death....it was well within her price range now.)

The record scene was SO representative of the surprise nature of grief.  My mother passed last May...and even 9 months later, I will go a while and be fine...but God help me if I come across an old card, or something of Mom's I'd forgotten I had an BOOM!  It's hard to describe, but the most innocuous things can hit you sideways when you least expect it, regardless of how 'healed' you think you are.

I wish Michael Patrick King had given Michael C. Hall a ring and asked 'How y'all doing your revivial'?  AJLT could have followed Dexter's lead on how you handle a revival!

• Love 14
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Carrie mentioned that she and Seema had seen multiple apartments over a three month period before the one she chose.  If Seema's goal was to use Carrie as an easy money making tool, she's doing a bad job of it.

I think they've just done a bad job setting up the relationship between Miranda and her professor.  Unlike with Lisa/Charlotte or Seema/Carrie, the relationship seems forced to me.  I feel like Nya in particular, as a professor, would be wary of blurring boundaries between being a teacher and friend with one of her students.    

6 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Good point. Lisa/Charlotte and Carrie/Seema all started from a professional relationship where it wouldn’t be unethical to be friendly. Miranda/Nya’s relationship has a power structure where they can have problems later on. Nya herself said she has the poweR to fail Miranda if the latter talks about her.

This is true. It would’ve been better if the class was over and they no longer had a teacher/student relationship. 

1 hour ago, Pestilentia said:

I feel like surely to god someone would have made the one simple and direct statement "When Steve cheated you absolutely flipped your shit- how is this any different?"

Perfectly said!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

For those looking for songs in the episodes, I use the Shazam app A LOT with very good success, and the Tunefind website can also be a good source for such but it may take a few weeks for the song info to get filled in.

Also, rewind and turn on your closed captions. Most of the time in current shows my closed captions identify the singer and the song title.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

I don’t get this comment. Carrie finding a place to live after a major upset in her life is the only thing she can thing of right now. Being widowed is terribly traumatic, esp. when one is younger and when it’s sudden and unexpected. It takes time for the widow to figure out whether to stay where the memories are, or move on and make new ones. It’s a tough choice. Carrie is lucky enough to have options, financially. Although I thought that all-white apartment was hideous. The terrace was fabulous, but the interior looked like a it was set up for surgery. So cold and sterile, all sharp edges. You can have contemporary without looking like you’re living in an operating theatre.

While I get that being a widow is hard. They established Carrie as being comfortable going back to her old, pre-Big, apartment. So having an episode where she moves for less than the length of the episode didn't feel like it did much to move this sinking ship of a show along. Carrie wasn't living at the place she shared with John, with all of their marriage memories, when she moved into the light box apartment. This seems like more of a thing Seema talked her into, and she didn't even find her a place that seemed to match Carrie's personality/style. If this episode were meant to establish that Seema is using her mourning "friend" for a nice commission, then yeah, maybe this episode had a point. If not, then this whole thing seemed like it could have been skipped. Carrie is still in her old place and seems to be getting along okay there.

Edited by TooMuchRealityTV
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

While I get that being a widow is hard. They established Carrie as being comfortable going back to her old, pre-Big, apartment. So having an episode where she moves for less than the length of the episode didn't feel like it did much to move this sinking ship of a show along. Carrie wasn't living at the place she shared with John, with all of their marriage memories, when she moved into the light box apartment. This seems like more of a thing Seema talked her into, and she didn't even find her a place that seemed to match Carrie's personality/style. If this episode were meant to establish that Seema is using her mourning "friend" for a nice commission, then yeah, maybe this episode had a point. If not, then this whole thing seemed like it could have been skipped. Carrie is still in her old place and seems to be getting along okay there.

Yeah I'm unclear on why Carrie is wanting to move to a new apartment.  Yes the apartment she shared with Big had too memories. I get that.  So she had a perfectly nice apartment to move back to.  She even said something like she was going home.  So is she buying a new apartment just because she can afford to?  And let me say she is in a very privileged place as a widow who can decide she can no longer stay in her home because the memories of her dead husband are just too much.   Younger widows usually don't have that luxury.  Their homes aren't paid for yet and they still owe more than the house's value or they have children and they don't want to uproot them.  

1 hour ago, BeatrixK said:

I didn't hate this episode - but we get it, Cynthia - you came out late in life.  Good.  But did you have to ruin Miranda in the process?  (And Miranda being lesbian is not what ruined her - her actions are so far removed from what we were accustomed to THAT is what's ruining Miranda.

She doesn't even sound like Miranda anymore. At first I thought it was CN playing her as someone who was under the influence of alcohol even if we didn't see her take a drink.   But she is supposed to be sober now and she still doesn't sound like Miranda. Her voice sounds higher pitched and she does the fast nervous talking in almost every scene.  I used to see myself as a combination of Miranda and Samantha but now I look at Miranda and think who are you.  I don't identify with her at all.  And I say this as someone who had an unhappy marriage before my husband died.  

• Love 7
On 1/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

Okay, no.  No No No No No.  Do not come for the Madame Alexander international dolls.  Is nothing sacred? 

Oh, I loved seeing those dolls. I had a few. The French doll, the Scottish doll, the Scarlett O'Hara doll...

20 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

"You're having a midlife crisis. You should have dyed your hair."

I actually liked this episode. Charlotte actually felt like Charlotte for the first time this series. She actually felt like an important figure, and I thought the relationship with her kids had the right balance. I also liked the resolution. Rock put a poster over the Rose name. It felt like a way to honor both people's request. I hate that the poster was ugly, but Rock is a teenager. They rarely have great taste.

I also agree with whomever said upthread they are appreciative that the show didn't make Rock sullen, miserable, and moody.

I don't buy that Charlotte would ever have a sex dream about Che or find them "charismatic." Not because Che is nonbinary, but because everything about Che is so aesthetically disheveled that I can't imagine Charlotte ever finding them attractive. Charlotte didn't laugh once at the standup routine, and she was barely paying attention to the show. That felt like Che propping.

Rock is adorable. Perhaps unrealistically so--she seems a little matter-of-fact about these huge issues--but I love the character.

YES about the Charlotte sex dream. BULLSHIT. Show needs to stop trying to make fetch Che happen. They're shoving them down our throats.

17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Those both made me laugh too, those felt very in character for Charlotte. In general this episode was, at the very least, a lot better then last weeks episode, which was so terrible I felt like I needed to wash my eyes out with lemon juice. The picnic scene actually did feel like the show I used to like so much. 

I liked the picnic scene as well. Although I know that filming site--I am 99% sure that's Rockefeller Park on the edge of Battery Park City and I've taught classes on that grass! But I've never seen picnic tables down there.

12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I've been surprised about that myself. Isn't it unusual for siblings to share a room nowadays? You'd think with their money, they could afford a room for each.

9 hours ago, ichbin said:

Unfortunately, there are many these days who would indeed declare it appropriation.  That's why I was pleased to see the scene where Seema made a distinction between appropriation and appreciation.  That all too often has become lost,   

In the rush to be woker than thou, I've actually heard a person insist that even learning another language was cultural appropriation. Which is clearly fucking ridiculous. There really is a need to judge with some people (which does nothing to address actual cultural appropriation)  so I'm glad the show addressed that.

5 hours ago, Marley said:

God I wanted to puke every time Miranda had her fantasy of Che. I hate Che so much. So Miranda doesn’t feel bad at all I guess about Steve or his feelings. Did she forget how she felt when he cheated. How come we haven’t seen Steve in so long. Charlotte shouldn’t have apologized to Miranda. I hate Miranda too. Talk to your husband for fucks sake. You can’t just date Che. If you are unhappy tell Steve and split up. What Miranda is doing is gross. Plus her nickname Rambo is fucking idiotic.

Charlotte was talking about his charismatic Che is and how she had a fantasy about Che too. Please show stop trying to force us into thinking Che is so great. Che is trash and  not funny at all and is a stupid try hard trying to seem so edgy.

I literally threw up my hands in front of the screen so I wouldn't have to see those flashback scenes. SHOW. STAHP. WE DON'T LIKE CHE.

• Love 10

Just a shot in the dark, but if Carrie sold Big's apartment for more than he paid for it originally she might be on the hook for taxes on the gains. The way you get around that is buy another property that costs more and eats up the gains. So that could explain why she was looking for somewhere else to live....but really, it's just that the writers can't think of what else to do with her. She'll stay in her old apartment and that will be the end of it.

ETA: plus, they needed an excuse to keep Seema around, but I think she has enough of a relationship with Carrie now that they can hang out as friends.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Show needs to stop trying to make fetch Che happen. They're shoving them down our throats.

We don't know what the remaining episodes hold but other than Che leaving the show I am never going to like the character.  I wish we knew if the writers (or Cynthia Nixon) think Che was the right character for Miranda to develop feelings for.  I see zero chemistry and no matter how much they have Miranda say Che makes her feel alive and yadda yadda yadda I just don't see it. I'm pretty sure the show is using Miranda to show you fall in love with the person and not the gender but they chose the wrong person. It should have been Dr. Wallace.

• Love 4
Just now, ifionlyknew said:

I'm pretty sure the show is using Miranda to show you fall in love with the person and not the gender but they chose the wrong person.

And hey ALL for that ... but they could have written this so much better .. again i just keep going back to the fact they are keeping Steve a non entity in this for some reason like if they don't show him then what she is doing (cheating once then trying to hook up again like she isn't married) isn't so bad.... and again that's fucked up ...The writers are just soo sloppy

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

but really, it's just that the writers can't think of what else to do with her

I believe this.  Even on SATC the writers struggled having stories for the women that didn't involve a man.

Truth be told I'm surprised they haven't had Carrie stick her toe back in the dating pool yet. But I know it's coming.  And I'm not going to judge her for it.  Some people move on to the other people more quickly than others.  And Carrie was definitely someone that preferred to be part of a couple.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

And hey ALL for that ... but they could have written this so much better .. again i just keep going back to the fact they are keeping Steve a non entity in this for some reason like if they don't show him then what she is doing (cheating once then trying to hook up again like she isn't married) isn't so bad.... and again that's fucked up ...The writers are just soo sloppy

Yes. Even if we hand wave away her hookup in the kitchen with Che as she lost control, she was drinking and high Miranda is now being premeditated in her desire to cheat.   It's like the writers have forgotten she is married.  Or wants the audience to forget.

• Love 9

UO but I found the Che/Miranda kitchen fingerbang scene sexy, from Che’s female Barry White voice to Miranda’s extremely loud orgasm.  And I say this as a straight woman, lol.  Still hoping that Miranda tells Steve so he can get the fuck outta Dodge and come to me for comfort.

Fertile Myrtle’s hair was fucking GOD!  I couldn’t keep my eyes off it, that’s exactly how I’ve been trying to get my weave/natural hair to look.

Todd Lungren’s Hello, It’s Me is one of those songs that’ll leave you in a crying heap on the floor….hearing the instrumental when Carrie discovered Big’s record collection and her crying got me crying.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I know he's currently starring on a NBC show.  I figured that plays a role in how much they are able to use him on this show, so that is why he has not appeared much.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I know he's currently starring on a NBC show.  I figured that plays a role in how much they are able to use him on this show, so that is why he has not appeared much.  

But to not even mention him by name tho?... its feels like they are trying to erase him completely...I swear to God if they try to flip this like Steve was never there or something last min without even mentioning it AT all to justify Miranda doing what she is doing it will be the Ultimate slap in the face to not only  the actor but to the fans who have stuck with this show

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 6

I was delighted that Madhur Jaffrey played Seema's mother! Speaking of appropriation vs. appreciation, I grew up with my mom cooking fairly religiously out of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks, so there was this special little connection to her scene. The fact that the dad played the busboy was also pretty funny, and I didn't know that until this thread.

I guess I find it a little weird that Charlotte thinks Che is sexy. I'd take Charlotte as the type to be more threatened by Che on some level, but maybe I'm being unfair to her. (Caveat, I think Che is pretty hot, actually.) I enjoyed the fight. I hated Carrie being all "we lost Samantha. NO ONE EVER GETS TO LEAVE NOW." Like, sometimes people just need a timeout, settle down.

Carrie's hair felt more appropriate for a Day of the Dead event, but maybe I'm being clueless. I accept that.

Was everyone disgusted by Carrie when she was having her affair? I'm asking sincerely because I wasn't chatting with SATC fans back in the day when it was happening, so I am curious. Being unhappy with Miranda's (or Carrie's) choices is something I can understand, but finding a character "disgusting" seems pretty harsh.

Why Anthony didn't call his bread service "Hot Buns" is beyond me. Not too late to rebrand, Anthony!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yeah I'm unclear on why Carrie is wanting to move to a new apartment.  Yes the apartment she shared with Big had too memories. I get that.  So she had a perfectly nice apartment to move back to.  She even said something like she was going home.  So is she buying a new apartment just because she can afford to?  And let me say she is in a very privileged place as a widow who can decide she can no longer stay in her home because the memories of her dead husband are just too much.   Younger widows usually don't have that luxury.  Their homes aren't paid for yet and they still owe more than the house's value or they have children and they don't want to uproot them.  

Carrie has become very accustomed to the kind of lifestyle a doorman building provides as well as the additional space. Yeah, her old apartment is probably ~fine~, especially by NYC standards, but the series suggests she is very wealthy as a widow, enough that $1M didn't matter much to her, regardless of what younger widows usual have.

Also, I'm going to push back on the Carrie's apartment not being her, I think that is completely wrong and probably a plot point. Like Seema said, and it's a cliche but true, buyers want to envision their apartment, not someone else's. That apartment is perfect for her, an huge empty white box with no fixed elements dictating design choices and high ceilings that can make Carrie's likely maximalist choices not be overbearing. By the end of the series I am sure that apartment will look incredibly layered with lots of bold color, High-Low, vintage-modern and look perfectly Carrie. It's a fresh start for Carrie, just like the big white box.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, Rai said:

Was everyone disgusted by Carrie when she was having her affair? I'm asking sincerely because I wasn't chatting with SATC fans back in the day when it was happening, so I am curious. Being unhappy with Miranda's (or Carrie's) choices is something I can understand, but finding a character "disgusting" seems pretty harsh.

Yes .. and there was a whole what about Natasha thing that got brought up and how it wasn't just effecting Carrie and Big ....But with this its Crickets just HOW GREAT IT IS that Miranda got her rocks off and wants to keep doing it and how she is "discovering" herself bullshit cause she is doing it with another "genetic" non binary woman and somehow that makes it okay to treat the person she is married to like a non thought... gay, str8, non binary, etc etc its not cute.... its not sexy its not steamy its fucked

(as you can tell IRL I detest cheating and none of my friends would be like you go you cheat on your partner that's amazing I fantasize about that person too....its a sloppy plot line that shouldn't be brushed over like its nothing it just bugs me)

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, Rai said:

Was everyone disgusted by Carrie when she was having her affair? I'm asking sincerely because I wasn't chatting with SATC fans back in the day when it was happening, so I am curious.

I don't think there's ever been a TV opinion that everyone shared, but in the place I was reading about SATC when SATC was on (a site called Mighty Big TV, which later changed its name), Carrie used to get roasted on the regular. I'd say going by the boards there, Carrie was definitely the least popular of the foursome. For major things like her infidelity, yes, but just for general self-absorption and narcissism even in the best of times.

The clothes and hair were better then, though.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Rai said:

I can only speak for myself but I was disappointed in Carrie for cheating with Big.  But as I said on another thread she never would have cheated on Aidan with anyone other than Big. And she did feel guilty about it and ultimately confessed to Aidan.  Miranda doesn't even seem to consider Steve at all. And the hypocrisy is so huge with her seeming disregard for her husband in all this when she treated Steve completely different when it was he who cheated.

• Love 10