Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Some of My Best Friends

Aulty
  • Start Topic

As Carrie takes steps to move forward, she meets with real estate broker Seema Patel. Meanwhile, Miranda and Nya bond over the realities of motherhood.

Original Air Date: December 23rd, 2021

Promo:

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

I need to say this now. Carrie is an idiot for wanting to sell the penthouse. The way real estate is, if she really didn't want to live there she could rent it out and have a monthly income instead of an out right sale.

Sorry it just grates me how she would want to go back to her old smaller apartment.  If the penthouse is "haunted" she could have Charlotte assist her in redecorating the whole place.

Nothing says so far that she will stay forever in her former, tiny apartment. I couldn't imagine such a downsize and would either redecorate the penthouse or buy a new place (at least a 2BR/2BA) and make it fully my own. Surely there are some things that she wanted in the penthouse but Big nixed. Well, she can have them all now! 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Maybe she will buy the apartment next door from Aiden and expand (oh, the irony)?

I think the ridiculous podcast that she is a part of is to remind us that Carrie had accomplishments outside of marrying an insanely rich man.

However, it is hard to hide the fact that now she is definitely a "lady of leisure".

As a woman who has worked hard for everything in my life, I do not have a problem with that.

One of the weird things about the show was that it often pretended to only be upper-middle-class when most of the characters had to be incredibly wealthy to lead their lifestyles.

The problems have been extremely one-percenter rich people issues like:

1. Your daughter does not want to wear an insanely expensive designer dress to literally just sit in an audience to watch her sister play the piano.

2. Your incredibly rich husband leaves his ex-wife one million dollars. It bothers you but it is not even a trickle compared to what he left you.

3. You have time to stalk said ex-wife, who is so wealthy that she can turn down the million dollars without even thinking twice about it.

4. You can no longer live in your multi-million dollar penthouse (seriously, the closet is bigger than many NYC apartments) so you go back to your old apartment to remind you of your pre-marriage days. You are so wealthy that you easily hold on to the apartment without having to rent it out. Stanford wanted to stay there when he was fighting with his husband because it was empty.

Maybe she Airbnbs it and it happened to be empty when Stanford and Anthony had a fight.  Or not.  Because she would have mentioned it.  Carrie's old apartment is worth a few million too.

• Love 6
On 12/17/2021 at 7:35 AM, greekmom said:

I need to say this now. Carrie is an idiot for wanting to sell the penthouse. The way real estate is, if she really didn't want to live there she could rent it out and have a monthly income instead of an out right sale.

Carrie isn't known for making sound financial decisions on the show. I remember there was an episode where she bought so many shoes that she couldn't pay her rent/mortgage and had to borrow from Miranda/Samantha/Charlotte. So selling the penthouse and keeping her old apartment empty without renting it out for monthly income would be right in line with her character.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, ferjy said:

Has this episode aired somewhere? It says Dec 23rd up top and that’s what my TV Guide planner shows too. 

No, the discussions so far are based on whats in the trailer.

• Love 2
On 12/17/2021 at 3:06 PM, qtpye said:

One of the weird things about the show was that it often pretended to only be upper-middle-class when most of the characters had to be incredibly wealthy to lead their lifestyles.

Just curious, when did the show pretend to be upper-middle class?  When Samantha bought a condo in Soho?  When Charlotte got a million dollar apartment in a divorce settlement?  When Carrie was addicted to Jimmy Choos?  I thought it was always about the 1%, that's partly why I like it.  I never went to fabu restaurant openings or stayed in mansions in the Hamptons or bought a condo in Soho.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Just curious, when did the show pretend to be upper-middle class?  When Samantha bought a condo in Soho?  When Charlotte got a million dollar apartment in a divorce settlement?  When Carrie was addicted to Jimmy Choos?  I thought it was always about the 1%, that's partly why I like it.  I never went to fabu restaurant openings or stayed in mansions in the Hamptons or bought a condo in Soho.

True.  it never made sense that Carrie could afford Jimmy Choos (let alone her rent) by writing a once a week sex column in the newspaper.  but somehow she afforded a lot of things.  

The only job they ever showed Charlotte doing was managing an art gallery.  Does that pay 6 figures?  sure she got the million dollar apartment, but she had to have some income to afford taxes, clothing, etc.  

Only Miranda and Samantha had jobs with an income that justified their lifestyle.  

• Love 16

At one point in the first season I think Carrie claimed her apartment was “rent controlled” somehow (the same vague excuse they used for Monica’s big place in Friends).   How she afforded her clothes, nights out and constant taxi rides, I have no idea.

I got the sense Charlotte’s family had money (though less than Trey’s)?  Maybe they helped her with her apartment, though her full time job would’ve paid more than Carrie’s gig.  And she didn’t get the giant apartment until she married Trey and then she was pretty well set after the divorce.  

• Love 9

Well, I love Seema. I'm happy she put Carrie in her place regarding the dating comment.

I also enjoyed the parenting discussion between Miranda and Nya.

This episode has been remarkably better than the first three.

I will always love Nicole Ari Parker. It was great seeing Charlotte come to Lisa's defense by using her art background.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 20

I agree with you in spirit tho I feel compelled to note that apartment isn’t the penthouse - in the second movie they established that they sold the penthouse (which they seem to have never occupied) in favor of a smaller place a few floors down. And I only point THAT out because I can’t tell how big their current apartment even is. It seems to be a one bedroom since Carrie uses that little pass through as her office and Big seemed to use a table pushed up against the wall in the living room. It seems strange they wouldn’t have at least a second bedroom used for other things but I guess we’re supposed to handwave it that the second bedroom became the big closet. Tho in reality a place with enough square footage to have that large an enclosed, eat-in kitchen would probably be a 3-bedroom.

ETA this all might be addressed in the episode’s walk-through with Carrie’s realtor. I haven’t seen it yet so I’m a maniac for even being here

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

I like Lisa.  I like Dr. Wallace. And now I like Seema.  However the time Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte spent with them is time they didn't spend with each other.  Not saying they can't have stories away from each other but there are only 10 episodes.  

I saw more chemistry between Miranda and her professor than I did between Miranda and Che.  If I a viewer can see that why can't the people actually making the show see that?  Yes I know this is just my opinion but I think Miranda connecting with someone who has similar interests makes more sense.  

The podcast producer screaming about them not getting enough clicks or shares or whatever she said was like nails on a chalkboard for me.  I hate, and I mean absolutely hate, we now live in a world where it revolves around what people are doing on social media.  

Any guesses on where Carrie ends up spreading Big's ashes?

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 16

Awww...that dedication to Willie Garson at the end. 

So it looks like they sent off two characters to faraway places and only decided to kill off one.

I really like this episode. It's paced better than the first few ones. Although I'm still missing Carrie's narration. In between, I've been binge-watching SATC to see what else they could have retconned. 

Can someone kindly remind me - So in SATC 1, BIG purchased that "heaven" penthouse and built that closet before getting married. But in SATC 2, I have a vague memory of Carrie mentioning around the beginning of the movie that due to the financial downturn, she and Big had to "come down" from "heaven", to a smaller place, but still a good place for them. So I've been kinda confused that they still have that big closet and giant bathroom as if it was from the original penthouse, and that people still call the place "penthouse", which it doesn't seem to be. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 12/22/2021 at 9:31 AM, sugarbaker design said:

They're upper middle class by NYC standards. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Hanahope said:

True.  it never made sense that Carrie could afford Jimmy Choos (let alone her rent) by writing a once a week sex column in the newspaper.  but somehow she afforded a lot of things.  

The only job they ever showed Charlotte doing was managing an art gallery.  Does that pay 6 figures?  sure she got the million dollar apartment, but she had to have some income to afford taxes, clothing, etc.  

Only Miranda and Samantha had jobs with an income that justified their lifestyle.  

The big (heh!) mystery was that how did single Carrie ever afford her lifestyle when her only livelihood was writing the column on a tabloid. She was never shown to have endorsements, other sources of income, etc. It seemed she was a minor celebrity in NYC because of her column but that in itself doesn't pay money. Of course she made it big later on in the series with her books, and a new column in Vogue, was it? But the earlier seasons didn't make sense.

Charlotte always struck me as someone who grew up in a wealthy, or at least upper middle-class family. She never came off as self-made. Her childhood hobbies sort of indicate that - remember her equestrian days and the horse she tried to reunite with? Probably a trust fund baby, who supplemented with her art gallery income, and then made even more with the divorce settlement. 

• Love 18
38 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Awww...that dedication to Willie Garson at the end. 

So it looks like they sent off two characters to faraway places and only decided to kill off one.

I really like this episode. It's paced better than the first few ones. Although I'm still missing Carrie's narration. In between, I've been binge-watching SATC to see what else they could have retconned. 

Can someone kindly remind me - So in SATC 1, BIG purchased that "heaven" penthouse and built that closet before getting married. But in SATC 2, I have a vague memory of Carrie mentioning around the beginning of the movie that due to the financial downturn, she and Big had to "come down" from "heaven", to a smaller place, but still a good place for them. So I've been kinda confused that they still have that big closet and giant bathroom as if it was from the original penthouse, and that people still call the place "penthouse", which it doesn't seem to be. 

Escrow on that penthouse closed at 5:00 the day that Big and Carrie met up - and she was very sure she wouldn't make it there by 5:00.  Big was standing there with her shoes but I made the assumption that the escrow deadline came and went and the penthouse was now indeed in the hands of another owner.  The first movie was 2008, right, and the financial crisis probably occurred right around that time, hence the reference to a downturn.  Wonder if they had to sell the penthouse at a loss.  

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

Escrow on that penthouse closed at 5:00 the day that Big and Carrie met up - and she was very sure she wouldn't make it there by 5:00.  Big was standing there with her shoes but I made the assumption that the escrow deadline came and went and the penthouse was now indeed in the hands of another owner.  The first movie was 2008, right, and the financial crisis probably occurred right around that time, hence the reference to a downturn.  Wonder if they had to sell the penthouse at a loss.  

So they never lived on the heaven penthouse? Gotcha! I guess that's why I've been confused with their home.

• Love 5

Blech!  I wasn't even able to sit through the entire episode.  I just KNEW they would be going super-woke for episode 4.  Seemed so fake.  Diversity and inclusion should feel natural.

• Love 14

Then she would be a landlord (assuming the co-op board would even let her rent the apartment.) There are many horror stories about tenants who cause trouble/hold back rent/refuse to move out.  Why would she want to deal with that?

I do think she should have taken at least another month before deciding to move; maybe move her clothing and personal effects out first.

And what was with that convenient pile of shopping bags in the corner of the closet?  Would Seema really have left them there? (I guess she would take another walk-through before showing the apartment, but still.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 13

I always assumed Charlotte came from money, she just feels like a person living off of a trust fund while doing her art curator job to indulge her passions and supplement her income. Miranda and Sam had well paying jobs, and Carrie...was possibly dealing coke because I have no idea how else she could afford her lifestyle before she married John on a columnist's salary. 

This episode was better then the last few, at least the cringe was on purpose this time, and Charlotte having well meaning guffaws seemed way more in character then Miranda being a complete doofus who acts like she's never seen a black person before. I like Charlotte's new friend and that she used her art passion to stick up for her, and Harry trying to keep up with Charlotte's reading list was funny. "I loved her book!" 

Fun seeing Nicole Ari Parker, even if her scene wasnt all that good. Every time this show mentions social media, the more desperate it sounds trying to relate to "the young people." 

I am not surprised that Anthony and Stan didnt work out, they never really made sense as a couple to me. Its sad that this is how they had to write Willie out, I wish they could have done without him asking for a divorce via note on the fridge, Berger style 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I hate, and I mean absolutely hate, we now live in a world where it revolves around what people are doing on social media. 

Hello, mindmate! 

I couldn't agree more, and I'm hardly on it.

I am more interested in Miranda's developing friendship with Nya than anything having to do with Che. Unless the writers have an ace up their sleeve and she'll become a less annoying character.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Poor Miranda. Whenever she talks about her life, you can see that she is unhappy with the way things are but she doesn't know what to do to improve things. No wonder she drinks.

Exactly how I felt.

I wonder how her life would have unfolded if she had stayed unmarried and childfree.

In her case, her life might have looked like less of a mess.

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

I’m really missing Samantha. I don’t like Charlotte trying so hard with the new friends. That’s so stressful! 

Anyone else think that the canceled colonoscopy means Harry will have colon cancer?

That thought crossed my mind too. But it feels awfully… O. Henry-ish or something when we only have a handful of episodes left. 

I thought on the whole this was a MUCH better episode. The social media stuff made me wince a little. And though I like Seema as a character…. did they HAVE to make her name so close to Samantha? A little ham-handed.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

I’m really missing Samantha. I don’t like Charlotte trying so hard with the new friends. That’s so stressful! 

Anyone else think that the canceled colonoscopy means Harry will have colon cancer?

Okay, so we might have this:  a grieving widow, a middle aged woman having to deal with a sick spouse and a child who has come out and a third who is exploring her sexuality.  Wish Samantha was on this side of the Atlantic to help them out. Would love to hear what she has to say. 

• Love 5

Harry was so cute shouting out his book references at that dinner.

I thought that was a horrible, ugly way to write out Stanford.

The new actresses are doing a really good job with the script, but I'm just not interested in all these new friends. It just underlines how important Samantha's role was in the series and that she's not there - because they are not her.

That 'beige' refurbishment was a hundred times nicer than that wallpaper nightmare of Carrie and Big's apartment, and I hate beige. I thought it was more shades of mushroom, anyway!

Less Che, and only a short (excruciating, down with the kids) "podcast" scene, was good.

I'll keep watching and vaguely enjoying little bits. I guess...

• Love 9
On 12/17/2021 at 2:32 PM, RedHawk said:

Nothing says so far that she will stay forever in her former, tiny apartment. I couldn't imagine such a downsize and would either redecorate the penthouse or buy a new place (at least a 2BR/2BA) and make it fully my own. Surely there are some things that she wanted in the penthouse but Big nixed. Well, she can have them all now! 

I thought  her apartment was double size, didn’t she combine it with the apartment next-door when she was with one of her boyfriends?

• Love 2

I don't have a problem with Carrie selling the apartment she had shared with Big. An expensive place like that is hard to find tenants for - people with that kind of money prefer to invest in their own place. One thing to keep in mind about NYC apartments, in addition to being outrageously expensive, they also carry very high monthly maintenance fees (in the thousands), and that's in addition to property tax, so the rent would have to be extremely high to be profitable for Carrie. Also, some homeowners' associations have bylaws that forbid renting out the property. So it makes more sense for her to sell and invest the money in financial assets. I'm sure there are many people who had worked with Big who could advise her on the most suitable investments for her lifestyle, goals, and risk tolerance.

I really like Nicole Ari Parker (she was great in Empire), but I hate how desperate Charlotte is to be Lisa's friend. That's not a fun dynamic. The scene where Lisa's MIL complained that Lisa had spent more on art than she and her late husband had spent on their first house in North Carolina was "well, duh!" She spent at least ten times more. I did love seeing Charlotte talk about art though. She really knows her stuff when it comes to art, always has.

Miranda is obviously not happy with her home life, but the good news is that Brady is almost an adult. She and Steve can have an amicable separation, and she can live on her own while pursuing her career goals and any new sexual interests she may have.

2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Carrie looks like a crazy old woman in some of the ugly nut so outfits  that she is wearing. 

Especially the white tulle skirt that she couldn't even walk in without holding it up with one hand. So stupid.

1 hour ago, violet and green said:

I thought that was a horrible, ugly way to write out Stanford.

I agree! Did we even know that he was a manager for pseudo-celebrities? I thought he was an event planner.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, violet and green said:

That 'beige' refurbishment was a hundred times nicer than that wallpaper nightmare of Carrie and Big's apartment, and I hate beige. I thought it was more shades of mushroom, anyway!

I thought the "beige" thing was a nice callback to Natasha and Big's marriage, where Big drunkenly complained to Carrie that everything in his apartment is now beige, when they first all met at Aidan's furniture showcase.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Useful 4
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I always assumed Charlotte came from money, she just feels like a person living off of a trust fund

5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Charlotte always struck me as someone who grew up in a wealthy, or at least upper middle-class family.

Yup yup. Do you guys remember the episode where Charlotte participates in a dog show? In that one it is mentioned that she comes from a blue blood family - which is also used as a reasoning for why she did good in the competition.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Yup yup. Do you guys remember the episode where Charlotte participates in a dog show? In that one it is mentioned that she comes from a blue blood family - which is also used as a reasoning for why she did good in the competition.

To be fair, "blue blood" doesn't necessarily mean that one is still wealthy generations later and having a trust fund doesn't mean that one is a descendant of an old family (it's not just a British aristocratic thing...fortunes disappear if one isn't careful regardless).  And I guess the definition of "old" can change.....Charlotte may be from and older family, but it doesn't necessarily mean that her parents are super wealthy.  Dad could have been a run of the mill lawyer and mom, a homemaker.  Who knows?  It could also be that her mom is old family but her dad is not.  We just don't know enough about these characters' family because the writers want us fans to focus on them and only them.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

That's exactly where my mind went.

• Love 4

I think Big might wind up in Paris. His ashes, I mean. 

I know Harry thinks Charlotte is a goddess but I wonder if after all these years he might find her bossy prissiness slightly less charming. I did like her knowledge and love of art resurfacing. 

I feel like they were backed into a sad corner with Willie Garson's death and figuring out to handle his absence gracefully was difficult. I have no problem with he and Anthony breaking up, they were not a good fit. Him just Berger-ing Anthony and Carrie tho...I do not believe Stanny would ever do that. The goodbyes could have been done off camera and mentioned expositionally. I dunno. 

I mostly liked the new women/characters this episode, and most of the clothes. I'm a sucker for tulle and didn't even mind Carries too long white skirt. At least we did see someone side eyeing her over it. 

I also kind of liked Carries mini meltdown over the glass in the picture frame getting broken. She's been so controlled and closed off to her grief, mostly, it had to come out somewhere. 

2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I thought  her apartment was double size, didn’t she combine it with the apartment next-door when she was with one of her boyfriends?

No. That was the plan when she and Aiden were going to live together but when they broke up, that all fell thru. So her apartment is the same size it ever was. Which I have no problem with. It was big enuf for Carrie for years, no real reason she couldn't be happy with it now. 

• Love 7
On 12/22/2021 at 9:31 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I think we all know that this lifestyle is very unattainable, today.

However, I have heard that the original series actually inspired a generation of women to go to NYC, thinking they can easily live Carrie's lifestyle. There was one who even had a failed reality show about it. That meant most of them thought her life was "attainable".

These women would be a little older than me (I am 37).

I know it is stupid to base your life on a show but some ladies looked up to these women as "attainable aspirational goals", when the lifestyles they lead were often completely unrealistic to what they would actually earn, with some exceptions.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think we all know that this lifestyle is very unattainable, today.

However, I have heard that the original series actually inspired a generation of women to go to NYC, thinking they can easily live Carrie's lifestyle. There was one who even had a failed reality show about it. That meant most of them thought her life was "attainable".

These women would be a little older than me (I am 37).

I know it is stupid to base your life on a show but some ladies looked up to these women as "attainable aspirational goals", when the lifestyles they lead were often completely unrealistic to what they would actually earn, with some exceptions.

Just the size of everyone's closets was enough to tell me the women live in some sort of fantasy land.  Miranda is no longer a high powered attorney/partner and has enrolled in school but can maintain the mortgage, is Steve's bar killing it to the point where he can support the household and Miranda's tuition?

Charlotte does this baby step thing like her ankles are fused together when she appears flustered and has to walk, like when she and Harry got off the elevator, Harry sauntered down the hall and Charlotte did the hurried baby steps to catch up with him, it is right up there with Carrie's screaming.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 12/17/2021 at 6:35 AM, greekmom said:

A building of that caliber in NYC would almost certainly not allow rentals and on the same note, you can't just rent an apartment of the caliber that Carrie had been accustomed to and move in the next day, her choices were probably stay in her old apartment that she was completely happy with for a few days/weeks while she found a new apartment or stay in an incredibly expensive hotel that wouldn't feel like home.

7 hours ago, PRgal said:

They're upper middle class by NYC standards. 

Upper-middle class by NYC standards does not get you on the board of the MET. When Harry first appeared on the show he was described as a highly respected partner at his law firm, by now he is probably pulling down at least $1M a year, perhaps more. I mean, it's all fictional, but yeah, $1M+ is an easy floor to consider him at in this fictional reality, possibly even significantly more depending on any changes in his career. Harry and Charlotte almost certainly wealthy, even by NYC standards. 

7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Charlotte always struck me as someone who grew up in a wealthy, or at least upper middle-class family. She never came off as self-made. Her childhood hobbies sort of indicate that - remember her equestrian days and the horse she tried to reunite with? Probably a trust fund baby, who supplemented with her art gallery income, and then made even more with the divorce settlement. 

Another NYC thing, you don't just get an art degree and find a job at a significant art gallery in NYC, the job is as much about connections and social status as it is about art knowledge. Charolette almost certainly came from money and the connections associated with it.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Just the size of everyone's closets was enough to tell me the women live in some sort of fantasy land.  Miranda is no longer a high powered attorney/partner and has enrolled in school but can maintain the mortgage, is Steve's bar killing it to the point where he can support the household and Miranda's tuition?

That is not how large law firms work, "partner" is not just a fancy title for someone that works in a law firm, it means they have ownership of the law firm. Based on what was shown of Maranda's career, it's highly likely that she didn't just "quit" her job, she walked away with millions of dollars and the understanding that she could return to a high-earning law career at any time. It why you see so many high earning attorneys leave practice for political jobs and becoming judges at, on paper, significant pay cuts. They aren't worried about the money. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 10