Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Some of My Best Friends

Aulty
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I’m sure writing around an illness and a death is difficult but they basically did “Poochie died on the way back to his home planet” a la ‘The Simpsons’ to Willie Garson.  I struggle to think of a moment where Stanford *wasn’t* unnecessarily bitchy in AJLT - behaving like that at the funeral?

I was so disgusted by the way they handled Willie's death but you gave me the first honest laugh I have had this Christmas Eve.

5 hours ago, JasonCC said:

I feel Carrie's apartment had just the right amounts of slight updates to be believable if she was maybe renting it out on Airbnb now and then. Was her long walk-through closet always monochrome blue, and so organized? I remember it being messier, older looking, and less California Closets perfect. Speaking of insane closets, good catch above to whoever caught the random Barney's old empty shopping bag just being shoved in a corner at Big's. Seema would have thrown that shit away or shoved in a drawer!!!

I wonder how much Carrie's old apartment would be worth now?

Also, I wonder how much Carrie is worth now? She must be an incredibly wealthy woman after inheriting from Big.

Someone said upthread that just the sale of their shared apartment would be worth $10 million.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, John M said:

See, this is one of the weird cultural things that really surprised me as I got older, the best explanation I can come up with is a lot of wealthy people show their status by being referred to frequently by people they view as lower class by honorifics and asking children to do so is suggesting they are of lower social status?

I grew up calling pretty much all of my friend's parents by their first names, and while it wasn't a particularly frequent thing, my parents by their first name in certain social settings.

5 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Brady and his girlfriend are snots bud I really can't see Miranda and Steve not being first name people.   My parents were first name people and I'm in my 40s.  I met people in my childhood who weren't first name people I'd say the absolute lion shar of my friends parents were first name people.  And the older I get the more common I think that is.  I certainly don't hear and Mr an Mrs. among my siblings when their kids friends are involved.   

I could more see Harry and Charlotte being last name people but Miranda and especially Steve have always had a more casual vibe to me.  

I would have never dared to address adults by anything other than Mr./Mrs. (or, if they were family, Aunt/Uncle/Cousin) as a kid. In fact my downstairs neighbor is in her 90s and I've always addressed her as Mrs. __. 

I already have an issue with 17-year-old Brady and his girlfriend being so "free" in his parents' house. If they're going to act that grown, they need to be paying rent at bare minimum...

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah Brady is being a grade A brat. Why not have him be 20, and home from the dorms and have it just be normal "young adult/parent" conflict, not him being a disrespectful ass. I dont believe Miranda wouldve raised her son that way- and NO WAY would Steve have allowed that behavior. He always treated his Mom with respect and care.

I don't even know why the writers have written him this way.  Are we supposed to dislike him?  Is this some "woke" thing I'm unaware of?  

It's not just that all the woke things have been shoehorned in. It's that the writing overall has been subpar.  There aren't a lot of laughs and any sadness we are supposed to feel for Carrie for having lost her husband is being lost the quicker she moves away from the life she had with him (not to mention what is happening with Noth offscreen is kinda making Big's death welcome).

• Love 12

20 hours ago, John M said:

Another NYC thing, you don't just get an art degree and find a job at a significant art gallery in NYC, the job is as much about connections and social status as it is about art knowledge.

When Charlotte decided to stop working at the art gallery because she was married to Trey and wanted to get pregnant, and getting pregnant is a full-time job, she was the sole art gallery employee who interviewed job applicants for the open position, and she decided to hire a young woman who had just graduated from college and had never held a full-time job before.  Nothing was said about that young woman's connections or social status.

Even though Charlotte said that she used to run an art gallery, I didn't believe her.  Yes, I know that she used to work at one - I just don't believe that she ran it.  Why would she think that a woman fresh out of college was a suitable hire for the position of running an art gallery?  Carrie, Miranda, and Samantha had suggested that she do volunteer work during the time that she was trying to get pregnant, and she considered volunteering for a charity that was founded by employees at Trey's hospital.  Yet she told the young woman who wound up replacing her that she was on the board of directors of that charity.  If she can lie about being on the board of directors of a charity, she can lie about running an art gallery.

• Love 3

What I Liked:

Miranda and Nya's conversation about regrets was actually really well done. I would like to see more of this Miranda. She's smart, thoughtful of others and capable. Miranda who suddenly doesn't know how to be PC, alcoholic Miranda and possibly going to have an affair Miranda can go away forever as far as I'm concerned.

I liked Seema calling Carrie out on what she said. I thought it said good things about her that she didn't just let it slide. I also give Carrie credit for taking the criticism and not getting offended.

What I didn't like:

I know the writers were backed into a wall writing Standford out, but I hated how they wrote him off. The divorce made sense, but running off with a pop star he is managing. Either make him running off funnier (maybe have him run off with a younger gay male youtube celeb to make Anthony jealous) or give him a well written send off (kill him off on the show so that characters can send him off properly).

I didn't like any of Charlotte's scenes this episode. Trying to make the neighbors she never bothers with come over so it doesn't look like she doesn't know any black people. Black people aren't props. It was cringy when she confused the black person at that party with another one. She did make a friend by defending LTW, but that doesn't make everything else less cringe.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

It is a cultural difference. I am 36yrs old and I would NEVER address someone old enough to be my parent (outside of a work setting) without an honorific in front of their name, unless or until I was invited to do so. (Like a friend's parent- nope, not ever. My friends still call my Mom, "Dr G.")

Its not about a lower social class in the socio-economic sense (money has nothing to do with it), but no, minor children are not the peers of adults, its showing respect within the hierarchy of the community. You call your peers by their given names, not your elders. 

I can 100% see Charlotte being that type that would want the kids to call Carrie "Auntie Carrie" and Carrie would be fine with that or just "Carrie". I am fine with kids calling adults by their first name IF the adult is fine with it. 

Yeah Brady is being a grade A brat. Why not have him be 20, and home from the dorms and have it just be normal "young adult/parent" conflict, not him being a disrespectful ass. I dont believe Miranda wouldve raised her son that way- and NO WAY would Steve have allowed that behavior. He always treated his Mom with respect and care.

The first name for adults from minor children thing is definitely cultural. To me, Mr./Ms./Mrs. etc is a sign of respect of elders (hey, I’m from an ancestral culture where you’re not supposed to correct people from older generations, where until fairly recently, siblings were addressed by title and birth order (so a middle sister in a family of three girls is both elder sister and younger sister.  She may also be called “Second Elder Sister” by the youngest).  Oh, and if you’re from an older generation, your title would also depend on the side of the family and whether you’re a spouse or not.  Totally confusing during holidays) and is default until you’re told you could use something else.  I called my in-laws Mr. and Mrs.  pretty much until I got engaged.  

• Love 6

That little hooch that was desperate enough to bang Brady? If she had dared to say "We are all adults here"?? I would have set that little brat straight with the quickness and showed her the door. Never to return again.  Then I would have dealt with that ugly ass Brady. You insist you are an adult? Be an adult and get your own place. Do what you want - but not on my watch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 12/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, ifionlyknew said:

Any guesses on where Carrie ends up spreading Big's ashes?

My best guess is the floor of her closet.

I'd bet money that there will be a scene where Carrie knocks the box over, it spills all over her closet floor, and then tries to put the ashes back in the box. 

So does Carrie have an entire surplus wardrobe at her apartment?  In that first scene with the tulle skirt, she hadn't yet moved her things over from Big's apartment.  If that's the case, how is she going to fit all her clothes and shoes in there?  I think they're going to have to show her getting the apartment next door, or above or whatever.  And the contrast between the two kitchens.   ugh.  I know Carrie doesn't cook, but damn, that would depress the hell out of me having to go back to her old kitchen. 

I would have rather seen her take this move a bit slower.  Make the decision, but realize her old apartment needs updating/expanding, and then in the last episode she says goodbye to the apartment she had with Big and moves back into her old place.  But then that wouldn't have really allowed us to meet Seema, not that another character is really needed at this point. 

I loved the scene with Charlotte at the dinner party going into art expert mode.  That's the first scene where Charlotte really seemed like Charlotte to me.  I'm hoping that will be the catalyst for her to get back into the art world. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TV is my friend said:

When Charlotte decided to stop working at the art gallery because she was married to Trey and wanted to get pregnant, and getting pregnant is a full-time job, she was the sole art gallery employee who interviewed job applicants for the open position, and she decided to hire a young woman who had just graduated from college and had never held a full-time job before.  Nothing was said about that young woman's connections or social status.

Even though Charlotte said that she used to run an art gallery, I didn't believe her.  Yes, I know that she used to work at one - I just don't believe that she ran it.  Why would she think that a woman fresh out of college was a suitable hire for the position of running an art gallery?  Carrie, Miranda, and Samantha had suggested that she do volunteer work during the time that she was trying to get pregnant, and she considered volunteering for a charity that was founded by employees at Trey's hospital.  Yet she told the young woman who wound up replacing her that she was on the board of directors of that charity.  If she can lie about being on the board of directors of a charity, she can lie about running an art gallery.

Apologies to anyone who has read this before.

There was a reality show (that was terrible) that was called Gallery Girls about young women that worked at Art Galleries.

The only reason I watched that show was because of my love for Charlotte in SATC, who also worked at an art gallery. It seemed like such a glamourous and cultured world.

Many of the girls came from wealthy families. One of the girl's fathers ran Art Basel in Miami and had a personal collection valued at hundreds of million dollars (she kind of looked like Ivanka Trump).

Another girl was more down to earth but had a grandfather who was an engineer for Dupont and the family lived off many of the patents that he helped discover.

Another was more upper-middle-class than rich but was also a daughter of a very well-off doctor. 

I do think it might be a little different if you work for a high-end auction house.

It was implied and said that Charlotte came from money and was a bit of a blue blood, so this made sense to me.

She is now living the life of a privileged wife and mother, that she dreamed of with her two lovely girls (one who might be non-binary or not wish to identify as a girl).

She seemed to embrace and love her Jewish faith, so the only compromise she really made was that Harry does not look like a Ken doll (I think Harry is cute).

Anyway, even as a kid, I knew Charlotte was being a little silly for giving up a job that she loved for "just trying to have a baby"...it would be different if she was already pregnant. Though, I do understand how trying and heartbreaking her fertility issues could be.

10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

My best guess is the floor of her closet.

I'd bet money that there will be a scene where Carrie knocks the box over, it spills all over her closet floor, and then tries to put the ashes back in the box. 

So does Carrie have an entire surplus wardrobe at her apartment?  In that first scene with the tulle skirt, she hadn't yet moved her things over from Big's apartment.  If that's the case, how is she going to fit all her clothes and shoes in there?  I think they're going to have to show her getting the apartment next door, or above or whatever.  And the contrast between the two kitchens.   ugh.  I know Carrie doesn't cook, but damn, that would depress the hell out of me having to go back to her old kitchen. 

I would have rather seen her take this move a bit slower.  Make the decision, but realize her old apartment needs updating/expanding, and then in the last episode she says goodbye to the apartment she had with Big and moves back into her old place.  But then that wouldn't have really allowed us to meet Seema, not that another character is really needed at this point. 

I loved the scene with Charlotte at the dinner party going into art expert mode.  That's the first scene where Charlotte really seemed like Charlotte to me.  I'm hoping that will be the catalyst for her to get back into the art world. 

Perhaps, Carrie will figure how to incorporate Big's ashes into a fabulous pair of new shoes?

Somehow, that seems fitting for their relationship...

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

They missed the perfect opportunity to bring them all together in this episode.

Miranda, in talking the good and the bad of motherhood with her professor, could have easily wanted her professor to meet Carrie, a woman who is perfectly content (before Big's death) without children. 

And Carrie could have randomly asked Seema, saying she really doesn't want to go alone to this party.

And then, Charlotte would have had diversity and all the characters would be together. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Perhaps, Carrie will figure how to incorporate Big's ashes into a fabulous pair of new shoes?

Somehow, that seems fitting for their relationship...

Cool idea but I prefer a hat or a purse.... shoes seems kinda disrespectful or something :) ahha

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Maybe not shoes, but she could have the ashes made into a diamond and have the diamond set into a pendant. Unless Big had a favorite place where he wanted his ashes scattered, I'm sure he would have loved the idea of Carrie "wearing" him.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Rebky said:

That little hooch that was desperate enough to bang Brady? If she had dared to say "We are all adults here"?? I would have set that little brat straight with the quickness and showed her the door. Never to return again.  Then I would have dealt with that ugly ass Brady. You insist you are an adult? Be an adult and get your own place. Do what you want - but not on my watch.

Or charge him rent if he continues to bring her home to spend the night.  It's not likely he has a job, so he's not going to be able to pay up.  That'll set him straight too.

• Love 4
On 12/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, chocolatine said:
On 12/23/2021 at 12:57 PM, chediavolo said:

Carrie looks like a crazy old woman in some of the ugly nut so outfits  that she is wearing. 

Especially the white tulle skirt that she couldn't even walk in without holding it up with one hand. So stupid.

That thing dragging along the street--she looked more like a homeless old woman than a 55-y-o fashionist.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 12/23/2021 at 3:18 PM, PRgal said:

We just don't know enough about these characters' family because the writers want us fans to focus on them and only them.  

I'd much rather learn about their backgrounds than listen to che's screeching rants.  The prof and Charlotte's school friend aren't too bad though.

• Love 4

Well, I gave this show another try (I also had nothing else to do), and it's growing on me.

• For one thing, it was only 38 minutes instead of 45. I don't like that this show and Curb Your Enthusiasm have stretched to longer than 30 minutes. That's more than enough of Larry David or Carrie Bradshaw I need a week. It's bad enough all these comic book movies are at least 3 hours. I just don't understand it. We're busy people (usually) and have things to do! Alright - done with that rant. 
  • minimal Che -  always a plus. dislike everything/everyone associated with that "podcast" 
  • putting Big's ashes in a Barneys New York bag is the type of overt knock-you-over-the-head symbolism I do enjoy. Both Big and Barneys were a part of the old New York that aren't around any longer. 
  • I appreciate the woman in the bodega giving Carrie the once over when passing her in that giant tulle skirt. Visually, I like looking at all the clothes because this is a silly show (or should be...), but if I had to pass that mess in real life, I'd be rolling my eyes, too.
  • Indian Samantha is a strong character that is distinctive enough to appreciate and not just be some sort of ghost of friends past. I get people not liking her dismissive attitude toward the apartment's furnishing during the walkthrough, but from commercials for Million Dollar Listing (haven't watched a second of it) it seems high-end real estate agents are a bit mouthy to begin with. The last conversation between her and Carrie was totally unnatural, but I'll take it.
  • I like Black Charlotte, but she's a little too good at the moment. I don't know if she'll develop into a full-on character, but there's not enough there to grab onto yet. The party was a bit cliche with the white people not able to tell black people a part, but it recovered at the end and they didn't totally embarrass themselves, so that's something. White Charlotte's face was looking better, as well. Her plastic surgery was less evident.
  • Black Miranda has more chemistry with original recipe Miranda than Che ever will. She seems to have a more fully developed backstory than the rest of the non-white analogs, but it probably won't be explored all too much. maybe next season??? It's good to hear OG Miranda kicked that asshole girlfriend out. God Brady has the most punchable face.
  • I never liked Stanford, and his exit was ridiculous, but it is what it is. I grew up thinking I should like Stanford, because like myself he was a gay man chock full of insecurities, but nah - I was never that annoying (I think). His character was basically the polar opposite of Samantha. She was assertive, he's submissive. She was comfortable in her own skin, his flamboyant style was a suit of armor. Samatha would be described by men as a bitch, while Stanford was all bitchiness all the time. Like the rest of the newbies, it'd be nice to see Anthony, a gay man, develop more instead being just a secondary character, but again, I don't really see that happening.
  • Overall, the tone was lighter, which is what I'm looking for, but we gotta get some resolution on the overwrought alcoholic Miranda storyline in the next four episodes.
Edited by gorgy
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

(I think Harry is cute).

I always thought he was the cutest one. Big was creepy (I know some people liked Chris Noth before the recent allegations came to light, but I always thought he was smarmy), Smith was hot in a very basic, curated sort of way, and Steve's adorable, but something about Harry is just so cute. It's his attitude and his bright eyes for me. He also seems to have aged the best out of all of the men.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

I always thought he was the cutest one. Big was creepy (I know some people liked Chris Noth before the recent allegations came to light, but I always thought he was smarmy), Smith was hot in a very basic, curated sort of way, and Steve's adorable, but something about Harry is just so cute. It's his attitude and his bright eyes for me. He also seems to have aged the best out of all of the men.

Looking at the men at the same age:

Chris Noth & Jason Lewis are very handsome in classic ways, Jason Lewis had a more muscular body and was “hotter”. 

Evan Handler (Harry) is adorable in an “every man” type way. 

David Eigenberg (Steve) is cute in an “every man” way as well, but he still has a baby face. Even as he ages there’s a boyishness to his face. 

On a shallow fashion note, I did love that gingham purple wrap top she wore when being creepy with the neighbor. That was just so weird. Like how I said in episode one, the women are older they didn’t have personality transplants. I also liked Seema’s outfits. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Looking at the men at the same age:

Chris Noth & Jason Lewis are very handsome in classic ways, Jason Lewis had a more muscular body and was “hotter”. 

Evan Handler (Harry) is adorable in an “every man” type way. 

David Eigenberg (Steve) is cute in an “every man” way as well, but he still has a baby face. Even as he ages there’s a boyishness to his face. 

I did love that gingham purple wrap top she wore when being creepy with the neighbor. That was just so weird. Like how I said in episode one, the women are older they didn’t have personality transplants. 

I couldn't watch Californication because it ruined Evan Handler for me. That's....kind of sd to admit, I think.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

Maybe not shoes, but she could have the ashes made into a diamond and have the diamond set into a pendant. Unless Big had a favorite place where he wanted his ashes scattered, I'm sure he would have loved the idea of Carrie "wearing" him.

DH is a big hockey fan, and I always say I'll have his ashes made into a hockey puck, and ask his fav team to use it in a workout.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, monagatuna said:
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

(I think Harry is cute).

I always thought he was the cutest one.

Aiden....I've had a crush on John Corbett since "Chris on the Morning" on Northern Exposure.

• Love 11
On 12/21/2021 at 10:29 AM, Mattipoo said:

Carrie isn't known for making sound financial decisions on the show. I remember there was an episode where she bought so many shoes that she couldn't pay her rent/mortgage and had to borrow from Miranda/Samantha/Charlotte. So selling the penthouse and keeping her old apartment empty without renting it out for monthly income would be right in line with her character.

She thought 400x100 was 4,000, so I don't expect Carrie to make sound financial decisions, basically ever.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:21 PM, slowpoked said:

I thought the "beige" thing was a nice callback to Natasha and Big's marriage, where Big drunkenly complained to Carrie that everything in his apartment is now beige, when they first all met at Aidan's furniture showcase.

The first thing I thought when I saw the walls was "Beige... is bullshit".

7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The whole Brady angle would make much more sense and possibly be at least a little more tolerable if the show kept him 20, but had him home from college and not changing his behavior now that he was back in his parents' house. Still never want to see or hear the Brady sex scene ever again, though.

In my head, "The Downeys" that Charlotte mentioned to Harry are Robert Downey Jr. and his wife, which would be a sweet little inside reference to SJP dating RDJ for years in the '80s/very early '90s.

If Big's ashes fall from the top shelf in the closet, I'll scream.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, sadie said:

I thought Bigs apartment was gorgeous, like Architectural Digest gorgeous, and the realtor painting everything that awful beige color was a travesty.

Totally agree. Beige was an interior color used in the 90s to sell homes. More recently, real estate agents usually suggest using gray or white paint instead. The apartment painted all beige looked hideous as hell.

Charlotte mistaking the black woman at the party for another person was such a cringy moment that I was second-hand embarrassed for her.

Yes, the woman who side-eyed Carrie at the convenience store when she was wearing the white tulle skirt is my hero. She didn't look chic, but more like a homeless bag lady wearing someone's discarded wedding dress.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

What I Liked:I didn't like any of Charlotte's scenes this episode. Trying to make the neighbors she never bothers with come over so it doesn't look like she doesn't know any black people. Black people aren't props. It was cringy when she confused the black person at that party with another one. She did make a friend by defending LTW, but that doesn't make everything else less cringe.

I took it as--uh, yeah, they were trying to make it cringe-y. Did all that not seem intentional?

4 hours ago, MBayGal said:

That thing dragging along the street--she looked more like a homeless old woman than a 55-y-o fashionist.

I figured she was in a vulnerable moment and wanted to retreat to past days. Didn't take it as a "this is the State of Fashion Today" statement.

• Love 6

It was definitely extremely cringey and on purpose.  I just don't know how much patience I have for 50 something women in Manhattan who don't know how to interact with Black people 🙄

I've been to several functions where I was the only one of my race.  It's normal living in a metropolitan city.  Grow up Charlotte.  Seriously.  Some of us have attended entire SCHOOLS where we were the only one of our race.  Meanwhile she went to some millionaire's dinner party. 

MPK hears the criticism of "SATC is not diverse enough" and hears "I'm going to have the women interact with Black people and be completely lost and moronic about it all of the time.  That'll be funny."  It's just pathetic that after 30-40 years in Manhattan they're only now mingling with people who aren't white.  I know people have posted about how they only stick to their own race in their work or friendships, but that's really not relatable for me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

The fact that I have to look for this forum under "Comedy" just reminds me every time that it's not funny (except for the things Carrie willingly puts on to leave the house). But I guess there wouldn't be enough shows to sustain a "Dreary Nostalgia" category. Give it time, though. It's a growth stock and we're in on the ground floor! 

Not only was Charlotte's desperation to find Black people to be seen with reminiscent of George Costanza on Seinfeld like 25 years ago (where it really was funny -- "I'm the exterminator"; "That's what we used to call him in high school, The Exterminator. He was a linebacker. Oh, boy. Oh, did we have some wild times!"), but the lazy write-out of Willie Garson's character reminded me of how on Curb Your Enthusiasm they just have Marty Funkhouser perpetually traveling, when the actor has been dead for two seasons. Maybe Vince Vaughn can come on as the new love interest for Anthony. 

You know I'm gonna hate-watch the rest of the season, though. I've come this far already, and I can't sign in to HBO Max without being reminded there's a new episode to hate. 

Okay, I did like the scene between Miranda and her professor.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was definitely extremely cringey and on purpose.  I just don't know how much patience I have for 50 something women in Manhattan who don't know how to interact with Black people 🙄

Next we will see Charlotte interact with a poor person!

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
On 12/23/2021 at 7:18 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Seema broke an artifact of Carrie's and then really gave no shits about it

She said she was sorry several times and said she'd replace the glass. Carrie misdirected a lot of pent up emotion that Seema didn't mirror because as Carrie said, Seema doesn't know her whole story. I'm glad Seema shut her down--the moment Carrie shifted from "his fingerprints are on this" to "you're just sitting there so casually" that was the Karen-mindset that Seema should respond with deference or an abundance of care for a stranger.  I hope they add Black women and W0C in the writers room. This show is FAR from woke. It would benefit from a broader perspective.

I'd rather watch a show about Nicole Ari Parker's/LTW's fabulous life.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Next we will see Charlotte interact with a poor person!

HAHAHA!  But if she REALLY WAS from a  "blue blood" then it wouldn't be unusual for her to be part of a service organization like the Junior League, which would likely involve projects with people in underprivileged parts of the city.

• Love 5

The episode dragged for me. I paused it a couple times and was surprised how much time was left.

Minimal Che was good. That scene with the gal in the wheelchair and the other guy having a fight I guess cause they hooked up was so fucking dumb. Someone said young love them someone else was like not so young. Ok please stop trying to pretend that crew is gen z or something. It’s embarrassing and stupid. They are all close to Carries age. Why are these ppl part of the show it’s not entertaining at all and sucks so bad. Why is Carrie on a podcast. Stupid. Am I supposed to be amazed by them because I hate all of them lol.

Brady is a little douche. The actor playing him sucks too. His gf is a bitch and why would Miranda and Steve put up with that. Have they given up like what the fuck. I can’t even remember what I called my friends parents I call them by first name now but it’s not even that with Brady’s gf she’s just rude how she acts. Who acts like that to someone’s parents it’s gross. 

The realtor calling Carrie out was rude. She’s her realtor what kind of professional would do that? Ok she’s offended but to call her out please no normal person would act like that.

I couldn’t even watch the Charlotte stuff it was so cringey.

How does Carrie know Big died because of the peloton? She saw him after so why is she so offended by the peloton. It seems like it’s just another reason for them to talk about the peloton lol.

I don’t even know why I’m watching because this show sucks.

Edited by Marley
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Marley said:

How does Carrie know Big died because of the peloton? She saw him after so why is she so offended by the peloton. It seems like it’s just another reason for them to talk about the peloton lol.

Because she knew he was going on the Peloton and he died in the bathroom by the shower.  She just guessed, I suppose.  

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Marley said:

It was the last physical activity Big had done although if he had his heart attack after a strenuous activity such as sex with Carrie what would she do, never have sex again?

• Love 2

I can’t stand Brady.  The way he behaves; we haven’t seen anything the slightest bit likeable about him.  Plus I admit to not caring for that actor.  He was on another show and I didn’t like him on it either.

Why are we seeing so little Steve?  I feel,like we’ve seen more of Anthony.

I liked Seema’s chat with Carrie.  I was also taken a bit aback by Carrie’s comment.

In fact, I enjoy all the new characters except for the podcast people.  They are all awful so far.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Tiggertoo said:

Why are we seeing so little Steve?

Maybe it's about weaning the audience off of him if Miranda leaves him (not a spoiler, just spec) for (UGH!) Che or whatever... That's the only reason I can think of.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe it's about weaning the audience off of him if Miranda leaves him (not a spoiler, just spec) for (UGH!) Che or whatever... That's the only reason I can think of.

I think we're all on the "anyone but Che" front.  Cannot stand them.  Plus they are a bit aggressive (seriously?  TELLING CARRIE TO BE MORE OPEN when she clearly said it wasn't her?  Though to be fair, Carrie should have just walked...).

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

I liked Seema’s chat with Carrie.  I was also taken a bit aback by Carrie’s comment.

I was too.  I just didn't like Seema's behaviour with the picture, not at all.  And I don't think it has anything to do with race (like someone else mentioned upthread).  If anyone came in my house and broke something I would be livid.  

And bringing up something unrelated that Carrie should apparently apologize for "in your apology" makes it a non-apology to me.  I don't know, after spending decades learning how to best communicate with my friends and family, I would personally never do that to someone.  I would simply apologize and if I had something unrelated to bring up I would wait a few days.

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I think we're all on the "anyone but Che" front.  Cannot stand them.  Plus they are a bit aggressive (seriously?  TELLING CARRIE TO BE MORE OPEN when she clearly said it wasn't her?  Though to be fair, Carrie should have just walked...).

Yeah, Carrie's not easygoing enough to be in an environment like that, and she should know that.  She's only worked alone for almost her entire life.  Writing a column and writing books.  Those are lone activities.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, MBayGal said:

Aiden....I've had a crush on John Corbett since "Chris on the Morning" on Northern Exposure.

Me too. Still do. He's aged well. Is he showing up on this retread, or not? 

Smith was/is gorgeous. Big was handsome but not in a way I ever really responded to. Steve was cute, esp at first when he read Proust and had an ass you could bounce a quarter off of. 

I liked Harry, he's a nice funny guy, and I've definitely dated guys who are not conventionally good looking and yet I found them sexy, and I'm not half as pretty as Charlotte...but Evan Handler is just really physically unattractive to me. He looks like a big bald baby. And I don't know if he's lost weight, but his face seems thinner, and therefore more haggard than he should. I like him, I do, and I'm clearly shallow AF but I cannot even imagine him in a sexual way. 

I almost always called my parents friends by their first names. I guess I wasn't raised right. 

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think that's exactly what they're doing with Steve. We're supposed to be on Miranda's side and find him an annoying sexless loser, I guess, so we'll cheer when she gets with Che. I'm not going to be cheering. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 8

If Miranda and Steve aren’t having sex and she’s unhappy why doesn’t she talk to him. I think it’s stupid they are breaking them up. If they are doing that and I’m pretty sure they are. There’s so many better storylines they could be doing with Miranda and Steve. Also I don’t believe Miranda would be so weird about weed.

• Love 9

Every parent in my friends group growing up insisted we call them by their first names. I was a shy kid, so I had trouble believing that and would often just avoid using any name, but it was a common practice. The girlfriend is still way too familiar for my tastes, but that ain't the part I'm latching onto. It's the walking around in underwear and offering her two cents that I'm finding obnoxious on her part. And I would whether she was 17 or 20.

Staging apartments as blank canvases is also pretty common nowadays. A couple buddies are selling their gorgeous place in the east village right now, and it had to be painted all white with generic furniture put in instead of the lovely, unique character they had brought to it. That said, Carrie's in a rich enough situation that she can just find another realtor who she can call the shots to, I would think, but whatever. Also, airbnbs may be illegal, but there are still plenty of them to be found in the city. But that's too much work for Carrie to manage, let's be real.

It was great seeing Charlotte use her art knowledge. Even on SATC, she rarely got to demonstrate it all that often or to that extent. It was pretty hard to watch her go on her "recruit more black people" run, but I think that was the point of those scenes -- to cringe hard. I don't love cringe comedy myself, but I don't think anyone was meant to cheer for her or identify with her during that storyline (big yikes if you do). It was also fun briefly seeing Chris Jackson. I hope he's moving on to bigger things out there because he's pretty great.

I do think Miranda has great chemistry with her law professor, and if she is going to experiment with some folks, then Che may just be a catalyst. We'll see! But I like her professor, and I'm interested to see where it goes.

And speaking of Che, I like Che. Partly because I find them kinda hot, but partly because it's nice to have a fresher voice in the mix. I know Ches. I don't really know the core cast as peers because they were always slightly too much older than me. So I watched SATC with sort of this outside fascination, and it's nice to finally see someone who I recognize.

I don't think this franchise can ever get diversity right, but I'd rather they overshoot and course correct as needed than to maintain their previous status quo. All the new blood they have brought in definitely are interesting characters in their own right and have strong potential to be fully fledged ensemble cast members. While it's too bad some folks won't ever give them a shot, I'm hoping they can thrive despite any perceived tokenism regarding their casting.

And when it comes to looks, Smith was by far the hottest, but Harry was/is truly the best of them all. What a sweetie he always was.

Oh, and Stanford deserved better.

• Love 3

I agree they're trying to wean us off of Steve. It's obvious and I hate it.

I would guess that Harry and Steve were probably the most popular with fans of all the men who were on the show? Maybe Aiden too. But if I'm right and it's Harry and Steve, that really sucks to decide to break up at least one of those couples and it's going to hurt the audience to see it (probably more than if the character died, imo, because we now have to watch the relationship crumble- and we're supposed to be on the side of the ladies, which means the man has to become the bad guy somehow). So this is going to suck.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 8

I wish they treated Willie with more respect. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how they handled Kim's exit. I actually teared up knowing that would be it with Stanford. :(

They're trying to make up for the lack of diversity all at once, and and what's done is done. You can't go back in time and be woke. I applaud them for being more inclusive, but I wish it were done in better taste. 

Nicole Ari Parker is so beautiful, I never get over it. She and Boris must be one of the most gorgeous couples out there. 

Harry may not be Boris or Smith, but he's so damn adorable and sweet, I can see falling for him. What woman wouldn't be thrilled to have a loving husband and father who's intelligent, hardworking, successful, makes her laugh and thinks of her as a goddess? He's a total catch. Charlotte is very pretty, but even though pretty women get more of a choice with men, I think they often attract more jerks too; men who see them as a piece of ass and nothing more. I also think Harry and Charlotte are a good match in that he's so relaxed and chill, and she's this neurotic perfectionist. I feel like he calms her, and she refines him. I'm really worried about the canceled colonoscopy. My mind went where everyone else's went. Can we have some happiness please? I now think killing of Big was the right decision for obvious reasons, but I loved SATC because it was generally fun and lighthearted. 

Brady is the worst! So disrespectful. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 9

By and large I find Brady to be a pain in the ass, but there were a couple of scenes at Big’s funeral that rang true to me about nervy teenagers: at one point he rested his head on Steve’s shoulder, and he kind of looked bemused when Steve ruffled his hair. That reads a lot like how my teenage nephew interacts with his parents: teeter-tottering between being a kid and being a near-adult, and sometimes being a shithead in the process.

I did guffaw along with Che at the fight between the social media guru and the jackass podcast guy.  Che/Sara really is kind of magnetic and hopefully the writers will take their character in a less over-the-top direction. 

So much cringe with Charlotte overall but I *felt that* when she mistook one of LTW’s dinner party guests for someone else. For whatever reason I have face blindness for people of a different race than my own; I hate that my brain is dumb, don’t know how to fix it, and just try hard not to do what Charlotte did.  Lawd.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Me too. Still do. He's aged well. Is he showing up on this retread, or not? 

Smith was/is gorgeous. Big was handsome but not in a way I ever really responded to. Steve was cute, esp at first when he read Proust and had an ass you could bounce a quarter off of. 

I liked Harry, he's a nice funny guy, and I've definitely dated guys who are not conventionally good looking and yet I found them sexy, and I'm not half as pretty as Charlotte...but Evan Handler is just really physically unattractive to me. He looks like a big bald baby. And I don't know if he's lost weight, but his face seems thinner, and therefore more haggard than he should. I like him, I do, and I'm clearly shallow AF but I cannot even imagine him in a sexual way. 

I almost always called my parents friends by their first names. I guess I wasn't raised right. 

I think that's exactly what they're doing with Steve. We're supposed to be on Miranda's side and find him an annoying sexless loser, I guess, so we'll cheer when she gets with Che. I'm not going to be cheering. 

Harry has definitely lost weight. That’s part of why I wondered if maybe the writers are giving him cancer.

though, I don’t think he would look unhealthy/haggard to me if I just wasn’t used to the old Harry. Like unrelated but I’m proud of Drew Carey for getting healthy, but having watched Drew Carey Show/Whose Line all my teen years, fit Drew just looks odd.

• Love 3

And Just Like That I'm bored...

Truth be told I haven't found any of the episodes all that engaging, funny, or interesting.  It feels like the writers have a list that they are checking off: More POF check, an alcohol issue check, an unexpected death check, a child not sure about their gender check, etc. etc.  I read somewhere that they were only willing to bring SITC back for something amazing!  4 episodes in and I'm still waiting... 

Also, I have this horrible feeling that they are going to break up all the marriages so the women can all be single again like they were in the original series.  Kill Big, Steve and Miranda get divorced, and Harry dies of cancer. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 4