Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E04: Dessert Week

• Start Topic

It's hard to make a bad pavlova, as far as I can tell. Meringue and fruit and sugary stuff, it all works for me. Apparently it's very easy to make a bad sticky toffee pudding.

Chigs seems to be some kind of baking savant, if he's learned all this in twelve months. I don't know whether he's just been incredibly lucky and the knowledge he has has been in the particular areas of these challenges or whether he's genuinely developed such an in-depth expertise. Definitely deserved star baker, though Jurgen was also deserving. His Passover pavlova sounded very interesting.

Crystelle is stunning and, I have to say, I think  I'd rather get the the hug she gave Chigs at the end than the handshake he got from Paul.

Lizzie's bakes are a horrendous mess of clashing colours, and she managed to make both her signature and showstopper look less than delicious.

Maggie was the right call, although Freya's rocky week put her in real danger too. The extra challenge of baking vegan is obviously difficult (and of course, there won't be a vegan or dairy free week this year) but the idea of tofu chocolate mousse was not appetising. Maggie seems like a very good home baker but the complexity and time limits of Bake Off have been too much for her, which caused her to make a couple of silly mistakes this week. But it was also the second or third time that Paul had questioned the amount of work she was doing compared to the rest.

Anyone who says Matt wasn't funny when he straight-facedly asked Paul and Prue "aren't you going to taste it?" about Maggie's sticky toffee puddings is lying. That was great. 

Edited by Danny Franks
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Crystelle is stunning and, I have to say, I think  I'd rather get the the hug she gave Chigs at the end than the handshake he got from Paul.

I don't notice anything and I noticed that hug.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The "it's not my mouth, it's my butt" at the very beginning was beyond tasteless and nearly made me bail out.  If that's what passes as humor in England, I pass on ever visiting.  They are a disgusting pair.

Poor Maggie, the writing had been on the wall for a while but I really did enjoy her sweetness and her ability to laugh at herself.  I felt Paul was always overly harsh with her and I think he is with Freya as well.  I think he does not appreciate anyone of advanced age or anyone "different" like a vegan.

At least Prue made an attempt to give at least one positive comment no matter what and that is more like Mary used to do.

Lizzie has surprised me a bit, I thought she wasn't a serious contender at the start.

I predict George as next to go.

Sticky toffee pudding is a no go for me.  Ugh.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I really like Maggie. I’m sorry to see her go. She seems like a lovely woman.

Freya and Lizzie are going home next.

Because I like Maggie, I'm glad she went.  Paul was brutal toward her.  He takes criticism of the bakes to unnecessary personal attacks. The nasty remarks are just inexcusable. I watch the show for the contestants, but I'm sick of Paul and I've had enough Noel and Matt.

• Applause 1
  • Love 14

I wasn't surprised that it was Maggie that went home. She forgot flour which is kind of basic. That being said, I agree that Paul was being mean for no real reason. She did make a nice looking cake in the show stopper, it just leaked. But clearly took time to make and we the viewer know she remade the one part again.

I was glad that Chigs won star baker, as it changed it up and he did do really well. 

I say right now the bottom is George, Amanda and  Freya (the vegan thing may get her). 

• Love 13

Chigs is a worthy winner. Can’t believe that he has only been baking for 12 months.

Maggie’s skills weren’t well-suited for this competition. I’m sure that she is wonderful home baker. Paul was incredibly rude to her. Could she have neglected to put the flour in her sticky pudding because Noel was writing on her instructions?

I’m starting to dread the upcoming Chocolate Week because of the comments about how hot it is in the tent. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I wasn't surprised that it was Maggie that went home. She forgot flour which is kind of basic. That being said, I agree that Paul was being mean for no real reason. She did make a nice looking cake in the show stopper, it just leaked. But clearly took time to make and we the viewer know she remade the one part again.

It really wasn’t just the leakage, though, but that once again, despite good flavors she had much less to show than the others. Here, everyone else had at least three elements inside their jaconde, and she had just one thing other than the runny coulis. From the way Paul spoke about it, it sounded as if they were expected to have at least two more involved layers and neither he nor Prud thought her simple coulis qualified.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:17 AM, Danny Franks said:

The extra challenge of baking vegan is obviously difficult (and of course, there won't be a vegan or dairy free week this year) but the idea of tofu chocolate mousse was not appetising.

I’m not vegan, but I’ve made a tofu-based chocolate mousse or pudding — it’s a pretty standard recipe of soft silken tofu, melted chocolate, sugar syrup, and any other flavoring whirled in a food processor or blender — and you cannot tell from the flavor that it has tofu, it just tastes like a chocolate pudding. Based on looks and the judges' comments, mine had a nicer consistency than Freya's, however.

1 hour ago, Ellaria Sand said:

I’m starting to dread the upcoming Chocolate Week because of the comments about how hot it is in the tent. 

Somehow, it’s invariably the hottest weeks when they have the most heat-sensitive challenges, like chocolate or ice cream.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12

I loved the Chigs/ Christelle hug.  Do they each have a significant other cause they make a beautiful couple.

I kinda love Lizzie.  I can't understand a word she says but she's so funny.

Love Juergen, Giuseppe and Chigs!!

Not crazy about Freya.  The vocal fry is super annoying as is her hair.  It looks like she never combs or brushes it.  At least this week is was done up in a braid.  This thought leads me to a general beef I have with bakers and their hair.  I've been binging past seasons and keep noticing the loose hair.  I even saw one baker runs her hands through her hair and then touch her dough right after.  That is disgusting!  I really think that any baker who has longish hair should at the very least tie it back or wear a hairnet.

• Love 8

I am not surprised Maggie went home this week.  I have watched this show since the beginning and once Paul starts saying things like "too simple" and "what did you do with x amount of hours you had" the writing is on the wall.  They don't like when an usually older baker is "limited" in their bakes and doesn't "stretch" themselves enough. Maggie became the Norman of this season.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Could she have neglected to put the flour in her sticky pudding because Noel was writing on her instructions?

Good point!  He was scribbling some nonsense.  Although I think pretty much everything they bake needs flour, for the most part.  Not meringue, of course, but most other things they are making.

35 minutes ago, ali59 said:

I've been binging past seasons and keep noticing the loose hair. 

That has always been a pet peeve of mine as well.  Tie it back at least.

• Love 4

I love Pavlova.  Made quite a few over the years, especially small ones for individual deserts. 

Isn't sticky toffee pudding something Brits do all the time?  They talk about it on this show so many times every season, every Brit talks about eating it since childhood, it's everybody's fave, yada, yada.  How can these people not know DICK about what seems like almost a national dish?

There was a "show stopper"?  Just looked like boring cake in the 3rd round

Freya as a stunt-cast is just an annoyance to me.  So is Maggie.  Has anybody ever been so inept and clueless?  Nice lady, but come on!  No surprise she was booted.  She never should have been there. 

They are just casting for characters, not people that can actually bake.  All of THOSE people in Great Britain were used up on the first 4-5 seasons.  From there, they've became less skilled and focused, just barely able to put a cake together now, with a couple of ringers.  Whoever is casting these days is a bunch of idiots.  Maybe 4 out of the 9 now have decent skills. 

I did love Kim Joy though, on her season.  She was all about baking. She's actually the only contestant I remember from the last 4 seasons. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Good point!  He was scribbling some nonsense.  Although I think pretty much everything they bake needs flour, for the most part.  Not meringue, of course, but most other things they are making.

I think she just got flustered and had a brain fart moment that cost her dearly. I adored Maggie and she is one of the few exits that made me tear up. She just had such a great attitude about the whole thing. I will miss her. I do think that, though she is a great baker, she might not be cut out for baking under pressure. 

I actually love Lizzie and have no trouble understanding her. I prefer the bakers who don't take it so seriously. It's not like they are winning some life changing money. In the end it's just a show and I like those who enjoy it, like Maggie. It's the ones who have their eye on the prize that aren't as fun to watch for me, which is probably why I don't like most competition shows. 

4 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Isn't sticky toffee pudding something Brits do all the time?  They talk about it on this show so many times every season, every Brit talks about eating it since childhood, it's everybody's fave, yada, yada.  How can these people not know DICK about what seems like almost a national dish?

And even if they didn't know dick about it, why in the holy hell would they not practice making it on a constant loop the moment they applied to be on the show? First thing you do after mailing in the application, get a traditional British cookbook and make EVERYTHING in it. 

• Love 15

Welp, I called Maggie as a finalist in week 1. That prediction didn’t last long. Hope I didn’t jinx Jurgen or Giuseppe as well. 

Excited for Chigs as star baker. He is really growing on me. Seems like a sweetheart!

• Love 8
On 10/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, TVbitch said:

Finally figured out who Juergen reminds me of...

image.png.50af712beacff10491460d75062b1d6c.png

But the nice Burgermeister Meisterburger! (After he got his toy!) I love the three gents at the top. 

Funny you should say that—Week 2, when Jürgen was talking about how he didn’t have toys growing up, I mumbled to myself, “Oh, did Burgermeister Meisterburger take them all??”

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ali59 said:

I loved the Chigs/ Christelle hug.  Do they each have a significant other cause they make a beautiful couple.

Well, he called his mom, so . . . 😀

They would make some very pretty babies. I’m just sayin’. 😀

• Love 8

Maybe if they'd given them more than 90 minutes all the sticky toffey puddings wouldn't have been under-baked. I felt so sorry for Freya, she was practically in tears. (She has a weird orange spot in her left eye, have you noticed?) At least Maggie has a good sense of humor about it.

I liked Nial's joke about taking four hours to explain the showstopper. I've never heard of Joconde before but that's par for the course, I've never heard about half the things they bake on this show. Make that 75% on second thought.

I'd pay to see Jurgen's Star Trek Joconde.

It's a wonder some of those ovens weren't on fire with all the stuff dripping down. Mine would be.

Sorry to see Maggie go. She just had a bad day.

• Love 9

Maggie was the right choice to leave, but I felt bad for her because this is the second time Paul has asked her what she's been doing for four hours which is just rude and uncalled for. Even if her bakes aren't as creative doesn't mean she's been sitting there twirling her thumbs the whole time. She obviously was trying her best; Paul's just being a dick for no reason. 

Paul was also pretty rude to Freya. I hope Freya sticks around. I'm not a vegan myself, but I respect her sticking to vegan ingredients as much as possible even though it makes more work for her.

Highlights of the episode were Amanda saying "I can't believe people get paid for doing that" in response to Noel and Matt and Lizzie giving Paul a miniature garbage bin.

Chigs getting star baker was well deserved. His showstopper looked great.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I do think they give them barely enough time to get the technical bakes done. That it might take a professional baker no longer than ninety minutes to produce a good sticky toffee pudding, but that's if they get everything right first time without having to stop and think. It seems designed to produce disasters and I think the increasing number of disastrous technical bakes is more due to the time restrictions than it is to the bakers being less talented.

100% agree.  The time challenge has been made to create drama and encourage disasters.  I don't want to see that, I want to see them have a decent chance.  That doesn't mean it had to be 5 hours to make those puddings, but what about and extra 15 - 20 minutes? 

4 hours ago, phalange said:

Highlights of the episode were Amanda saying "I can't believe people get paid for doing that" in response to Noel and Matt and Lizzie giving Paul a miniature garbage bin.

I was waiting for someone to call this out!  It totally made me GOL (giggle out loud).  As for Paul being a dick, that's the role he's been cast to play.  Without knowing him, it's hard to say if it's typecasting, or if he's just pretending.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

As for Paul being a dick, that's the role he's been cast to play.  Without knowing him, it's hard to say if it's typecasting, or if he's just pretending.

This is who he plays (he's kind of the Simon of the show...). Anyhow, I do think his criticism of Feya was fair. I recently bought pumpkin chocolate chip cookies from a bakery. I didn't realize to I got home that they were vegan. But they were amazing, the pumpkin made it soft and gooey without any butter in it. So it is possible to do.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, blueray said:

This is who he plays (he's kind of the Simon of the show...). Anyhow, I do think his criticism of Feya was fair. I recently bought pumpkin chocolate chip cookies from a bakery. I didn't realize to I got home that they were vegan. But they were amazing, the pumpkin made it soft and gooey without any butter in it. So it is possible to do.

I don't think his criticism of Freya was unfair and I don't think she did either, despite joking about it. She wanted to make a dessert you couldn't tell was vegan and she didn't manage it. That's not to say she won't manage to do it in future episodes. Some of the things she's baked thus far have apparently been just as good as non-vegan bakes, or at least good enough that Paul hasn't felt he needed to comment on their vegan-ness.

Paul seemed sympathetic in the pre-showstopper chat when she was making things difficult for herself by doing everything vegan. That might end up costing her but it's a choice she's made and you have to admire her for that. She could easily just say, 'screw it, I'm using butter and eggs' in an attempt to win.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6

At this point I just ignore Noel and Matt and their tasteless jokes so that I can continue to enjoy the good parts of the show. Noel on his own would be fine (he interacts well with the bakers and is kind and supportive of them) but Matt and/or the combination of Noel and Matt just doesn't work. Matt brings a more caustic sense of humor that might work in other venues but isn't appropriate for GBBO.

At some level I admire that Freya sticks to her principles and uses vegan recipes and ingredients, but at a certain point I think it will catch up with her. I know vegan bakes can still be tasty but at the end of the day if you're not allowing yourself to use milk, eggs, butter, cream, honey etc. you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in comparison to everyone else who uses those ingredients, which simply taste better than the vegan options. There's a reason those ingredients have been used in baking for centuries. Not to mention that some vegan options also take significantly longer, like using aquafaba instead of egg whites.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

I was awed by Maggie's unfailing good humor despite baking disasters and Paul's cutting remarks. Wish I had even half her radiant positivity!

I bet she is everyone's favorite midwife. 

Paul was horrible to her.  Like she said, she baked twice in the showstopper so it's not like she was sitting around knitting. I'm glad she doesn't have to put up with his crap anymore and can bake in peace.  

1 hour ago, ombelico said:

At some level I admire that Freya sticks to her principles and uses vegan recipes and ingredients, but at a certain point I think it will catch up with her.

I think Paul will make sure she's next to go, if at all possible.  He makes his dislikes known and never bends if someone dares ignore them - referencing anyone who dares to use peanut butter in bakes.  He hates it and never lets them forget it.  If you are truly a good judge you'd put your dislikes aside rather than making people bend to your will. Allergies are one thing, dislikes are entirely another. 

Freya is working outside the box and he doesn't do well with that either.  I can't stand listening to her but I do give her props for making the attempt to stay true to her beliefs and still meet the challenges.  That has to be brutal.

• Love 10

Actually, we thought if George had used peanut butter instead of a layer of peanuts in his show stopper, that it would have worked much better and still gotten across the peanut flavor he wanted.

Good for Chiggs!

I have to admit that when Prue and Paul were rhapsodizing during the technical, I actually raised my hand when she asked "who doesn't like a sticky toffee pudding?"  I also dislike meringue and those mousse fillings.  I am the anti-Paul.

• Love 11

It was nice to see Chiggs get some recognition. Jurgen and Giuseppe have been running away with it. I think Crystelle might be the dark horse, but she's had more uneven success so far.

I do think they give them barely enough time to get the technical bakes done. That it might take a professional baker no longer than ninety minutes to produce a good sticky toffee pudding, but that's if they get everything right first time without having to stop and think. It seems designed to produce disasters and I think the increasing number of disastrous technical bakes is more due to the time restrictions than it is to the bakers being less talented.

90 minutes might be enough time for someone who is used to making them and has done so many times. It was clearly not enough time fort bakers who have never made them before and have only vague directions. How many of them ended up being completely baked? One? So yeah, clearly set up to fail. Kind of like when they do those ice cream challenges in 100 degree heat. I'm sure that's coming up soon. I don't why this show thinks it's entertaining to see baking disasters. It's not, and I don't know anyone who watches this show for that.

• Love 9

I'm so happy for Chigs' win - he really nailed his bakes and the Star Baker title was well deserved.  I must admit I wasn't sure he would be around very long due to his short history with baking.  He's certainly proving me wrong!

I'll miss Maggie's positivity and upbeat personality.  I'm sure she is an amazing baker, but the competition and timed baking aspect of Bake Off was a challenge for her.  She has a lot to be proud of.

I'm impressed with Jurgen and Giuseppe and look forward to their future bakes.  I'm rooting for Lizzie- love her sense of humor and accent!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Like she said, she baked twice in the showstopper so it's not like she was sitting around knitting.

But that is sort of the point, if she had only had to bake once it would have been even more apparent that she had kept it too simple.

• Love 3

Freya has gorgeous eyes.  I, too, noticed the orange spot last night.  The light coming through the tent must have been coming through at just the right angle to highlight it.  Sadly, I think she's handicapping herself by sticking to her vegan guns, and making things more difficult on herself.  And then there's Paul's evident dislike for vegan substitutes.  Which....I think he's OK with so far as fillings, but when you're talking about the baking.....that's where he seems to get really offended at the disrespect to traditional baking.  If Freya lasts long enough, I fully expect a honey soaked bakalava, extra buttery puff pastry, or game meat pie type bake to come up in the technical or showstopper.

Was it last season or the one before that where there was the baker who baked gluten free in honor of his brother (?) who had celiac disease, so he baked GF whenever he could?  Paul actually gave him a lot of respect, though he did question his choices a time or two.  Was Paul OK with that because GF addresses a medical condition and veganism addresses more of a personal choice?  Or...is Paul a little bit of a misogynist and Freya being a woman with an odd dietary choice is less worthy in his eyes than a man with an odd dietary choice?  If Freya had a sob story about how she has to be vegan because of a cholesterol condition where even the slightest amount of animal fat will clog her arteries* would that change things?  Or........Anthony Bourdain was famously disdainful of vegetarians and vegans, so is Paul frowning at this because he thinks it is cool?

On another note, I wish every week could be bread, cookie, pastry, or cake week.  I'm never as impressed with dessert week, pie week, pudding week, or whatever.  They could even vary it and call it Italian bread week, Indian bread week, French pastry week, Mexican pastry week, etc.  I do like the savory bakes, and I think they could work within that format. 

I agree with the choice of star baker, and sadly, I do agree with the baker going home.  Maggie seemed good spirited about it, I don't think she ever thought she was going to the end and was just having fun with the experience, for as long as she could stay in.

* I actually know a vegan who is vegan because of this medical condition.  Doesn't stop her from being obnoxious about it, like most vegans of my experience.  She is the embodiment of the adage that every old joke has a kernel of truth in it:  How do you know if someone is vegan?  Don't worry, they'll tell you.  Again, and again, and again....

• Love 5

Good for Chigs.  His stuff looked really nice and tasty.  Best wishes to Maggie.  You could see it coming, and I thought it was unusually insightful for Noel to bring up her meaningful career as a midwife as a counterpoint to struggling on the show.

Juergen is such a sweet nerd.  I'm delighted by him getting the musical notes just right and by him making that lovely Star Trek wedding cake.  Giuseppe of course also had pretty and classical cakes.  I loved the sound of George's peanut cake.  I liked Crystelle's bold pineapple design and the artfulness of her kiwi lime pavlova.

Matt actually made me laugh when he said he never cared for the taste of key lime pie because the keys made the taste too metallic.

Maybe it's my imagination but I think talking with Lizzie brings out Paul's accent. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't why this show thinks it's entertaining to see baking disasters. It's not, and I don't know anyone who watches this show for that.

In the US there are plenty of other shows you can watch if that's your jam. What made this show stand out before was that it wasn't one of those shows, that if seemed to want to show great bakers making great bakes then picking the best of them to get a cake dish. Now it feels like all the others, picking "personality" over skill and giving them harder tasks but not more time in the hopes of getting more disasters. I'm close to the point where I skip most of the show and just watch the results in the hopes they are nice. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Was it last season or the one before that where there was the baker who baked gluten free in honor of his brother (?) who had celiac disease, so he baked GF whenever he could?  Paul actually gave him a lot of respect, though he did question his choices a time or two.  Was Paul OK with that because GF addresses a medical condition and veganism addresses more of a personal choice?  Or...is Paul a little bit of a misogynist and Freya being a woman with an odd dietary choice is less worthy in his eyes than a man with an odd dietary choice?  If Freya had a sob story about how she has to be vegan because of a cholesterol condition where even the slightest amount of animal fat will clog her arteries* would that change things?  Or........Anthony Bourdain was famously disdainful of vegetarians and vegans, so is Paul frowning at this because he thinks it is cool?

If I remember correctly that was Peter from last season. He however slowly stopped doing it was the season when on. I remember Paul not liking that either. 

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't why this show thinks it's entertaining to see baking disasters. It's not, and I don't know anyone who watches this show for that.

Definitely a big departure from the earlier seasons. It's like the bakers are being set up for failure and I don't appreciate that in the least.  This is not Chopped.  I have always love the lovely relationhips that formed between the bakers and their sincere happiness when others do well.  I see that with this group and watching others utterly fail must be difficult for them as well.  Embarrassing the bakers should never be the point.

• Love 6

Lots of comments here about Paul being mean.  We just watched the bread episode of the "Nadiya" season.  It's the one where contestant Paul made that amazing lion's head out of bread.

Dorret was sent home.  Paul said to her during the showstopper judging, "Is that 5 1/2 hours of work?  No."  And after the show, he had a talking head in which he said he had told Matt, "You've got to step up your game, mate."

I think maybe we all liked Maggie and her positive vibe so much that Paul seemed meaner by comparison.  But it IS a competition, and someone WILL not do as well as others.  This season, it was Maggie.  

• Love 15
56 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Lots of comments here about Paul being mean.  We just watched the bread episode of the "Nadiya" season.  It's the one where contestant Paul made that amazing lion's head out of bread.

Dorret was sent home.  Paul said to her during the showstopper judging, "Is that 5 1/2 hours of work?  No."  And after the show, he had a talking head in which he said he had told Matt, "You've got to step up your game, mate."

I think maybe we all liked Maggie and her positive vibe so much that Paul seemed meaner by comparison.  But it IS a competition, and someone WILL not do as well as others.  This season, it was Maggie.  

Paul being an asshole is not a new development.  It may have seemed nastier with Maggie, just because she was so nice.  It was like him kicking a kitten.

I think there is a huge difference between criticism of the baked products and criticism of the baker. He makes his criticism personal sometimes and it's mean.  He also bases his opinion on his personal taste far too much.  He doesn't like peanut butter (I don't either) and his subjective taste must be satisfied.

• Love 10

I haven't seen Paul hate on peanut butter in a while.  It was more an early season thing but he's actually become more open minded on it when used well.  In fact someone's showstopper (George?) had it and he loved it.

Top of the pack:  Chigs had a wonderful week and a well deserved Star Baker.  Man that smile of his is enough to melt all the chocolate in the tent on a cold day.  Anyhoo good to see Jürgen come back, he's just delightful.  Only Jürgen would sing while waiting for Paul to taste his pepper...and it worked. I hope he doesn't balk under pressure next week.  Giuseppe avoids the curse of the SB and nails presentation.

Middle packers:. I love Crystelle's designs and she seems to do well on flavors but she needs to deliver on a technical.  Lizzie's the opposite does well on technicals but is erratic on the others, still a pretty good week for her.  George is this seasons Laura in terms of great flavors, terrible presentation.  Curious how far that will get him.

Bottoms:. I figured Freya sticking to vegan only would hit her at one point.  As others said I do admire her sticking to it and she never complains about having to work with dairy on the technicals.  Amanda had a terrible week, she's only still in because Maggie was even worse.  Sadly Maggie might be a great home baker but like S5 Norman she just kept it too simple and if you're going to go simple you have to nail it.  Norman got a handshake on farthing biscuits so the judges do appreciate it when the classics are well respected.

I'm torn about the technical.  I don't think ninety minutes is too short for sticky toffee puddings.  Desserts of the like are usually short prep and quick bake.  It was all the damn extras that annoyed me.  Isn't sticky toffee pudding self saucing?  Why the creme anglaise and toffee sauce?  And did it really need those damn tuiles?  I think there were so many undercooked puddings because there were too many extras.

Edited by kittykat
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

Besides the love I have for this show, I am currently watching "An Extra Slice," which is just wonderful in its own way.  Lots of laughs and an interview with the departing baker.  It's a gem.  They said next week was German week, so I guess Jurgen will probably be a step ahead (as if he need it!). It's kind of like Bread week with two Italian bread challenges, which Giuseppe nailed.  I'm sure these themes are planned out well in advance, so I'm sure it is a coincidence.

• Love 1

Even I can temper eggs, so hearing all the comments about the bakers having scrambled them in the toffee topping confuses me.

Also confusing is when Paul said there were 9 fantastic bakers left in the tent. The show is still eliminating bakers who don't meet the threshold for competitive fitness. I think there are 4 decent bakers this season: Giuseppe, Juergen, Chigs, and Crystelle. 

I always felt Maggie was showing the "tears of a clown" and I appreciated Noel talking to her about her work as a midwife -- where she'd been successful at something important in the circle of life.

Juergen's Insta account is JuergenTheBread? I don't get the play on words? And, ironically, he didn't do well in the bread competition.

Lizzie is going to be a pebble in my shoe. There is at least 1 baker every season who can't bake for crap but has "amazing flavors" and slides through by never being the worst contestant that week. Those "bakers" frustrate me to no end!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

He really had it in for poor Flora in that season. I remember commenting on it at the time, particularly when she made a biscuit carousel and was using horse moulds - Paul demanded to know if they were bought then, when she said she made them herself, he immediately sneered "what is it, a dog?"

I don't think he's been nearly that bad with the bakers so far this season. Even with Maggie he's kept his criticisms to the amount of work she's done. In fact, I think he's less mean these days because he has to balance out Prue's natural coldness. Mary Berry let him get away with being mean because she was the nice one who always had something constructive to say, but Prue almost never does.

11 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Freya has gorgeous eyes.  I, too, noticed the orange spot last night.  The light coming through the tent must have been coming through at just the right angle to highlight it.  Sadly, I think she's handicapping herself by sticking to her vegan guns, and making things more difficult on herself.  And then there's Paul's evident dislike for vegan substitutes.  Which....I think he's OK with so far as fillings, but when you're talking about the baking.....that's where he seems to get really offended at the disrespect to traditional baking.  If Freya lasts long enough, I fully expect a honey soaked bakalava, extra buttery puff pastry, or game meat pie type bake to come up in the technical or showstopper.

I actually don't think Paul is as anti-vegan as he used to be. I'm sure I remember a few years back when he was openly dismissive of vegan baking ever being as good as normal baking. With Freya he seems more measured and perhaps even curious as to how she thinks vegan ingredients will work.

But I do think he's going to take any opportunity to point out the perceived flaws of vegan baking.

• Love 7