Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: No Weddings and a Funeral

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I would have thought he mother no? Since we’ve met her.

The description references Ted struggling… he lost his father…. However I don’t think we know much about his mother.  

5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I would have thought he mother no? Since we’ve met her.

Well, I think meeting her will then set up what happens next as we've seen the dynamic between Rebecca and her mother and heard about the dynamic between Rebecca's parents. So if Rebecca's father dies, the impact on her mother and Rebecca herself would come front and center and we have context for how it looked before.

Besides, this season seems to be all about fathers - Ted's, Jamie's, Phoebe's, etc, so to me, it makes sense if we now focus on Rebecca's, if he passes and we see what he's left behind.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Of course Ted would bond with Dr Sharon over their mutual hatred of tea. And everyone singing with Rebecca was sweet. But do not fuck with Roy and Keely! I will not channel my rage into ways to help my community, I will fucking burn it to the ground.  Jamie confessing his feelings it wasn’t too surprising, he’d always specifically say hello to her, and that stood out to me. But, come on, she has to choose Roy.  Rupert taking to Nate, no good comes from that. 

Issac’s fits continue to be a highlight of every episode. 

Agree that moment with Rupert and Nate can’t be anything good.  Old Rup will use and dispose of Nate who will implode.  Nate is a powder keg.  He sees insults where non are intended. He couldn’t even take a bit of good natured ribbing about his suit.  He will be putty in Rupert’s hands.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 2
  • Love 15

I'm simply hoping that she didn't know what to say because truly how do you respond to an ex at a funeral, telling you they love you (again? still?), but I really thought this show was better than a love triangle shit. (Especially since they are still messing around TedxSassy and TedxRebecca.) I also kinda can't believe that it's now been two episode and literally no one has mentioned how Jamie totally broke down in Roy's arms in front of the whole team. Like - that has to be addressed somehow, right?

I love Isaac taking control of the boys' wardrobe and everyone complaining about the dress shoes. Dani with his hair pulled back was so off-putting! Bless Colin for thinking that all shoes must be waited in line for!

I'm glad the Sam/Rebecca thing is over, though I still don't understand how/why neither of them seemed concerned about the ACTUAL issue of her owning the team he plays for. I mean, Keeley brought it up slightly, but it seems like both Sam and Rebecca should/would know there are actual legitimate issues with their relationship. I don't get it.

And ugh, Rupert. Whispering to Nate who wants to be a tiger will never end well. I assume this is him going to the Dark Side now?

Absolutely fantastic stuff from Jason Sudeikis during Ted's therapy session with Dr. Fieldstone. Not only did Ted find his dad, but his dad did it while he was home/as he came home. Absolutely horrific! And now we know why Ted doesn't quit things. BRB sobbing!

I liked it better last season when I could watch the whole season in one day - waiting from week to week is killing me!

• Like 2
  • Love 17

I really liked this episode.  My favorite part was Sassy's beat-down (although not literally unfortunately) of Rupert.  He really is a huge, stinking pile of shit.  Go to the funeral...OK, maybe I can see that.  Bring your young wife and your baby with you just so you can rub it in your ex-wife's face, AT HER FATHER'S FUNERAL?!  Please die soon, Rup-a-doop.

Other than that all I have to say is Keely would have to be minus a significant portion of her brain to go back to Jamie.  I can't believe she'd even consider it and I don't think she really is.

• Love 16

I shall be the heretic (or lunatic) and say it: I feel like in early episodes this season they were giving us glimpses of how Rebecca & Roy are together on screen (him telling her she deserves much more than settling/them chatting while she was with Nora) & has occasionally/most significantly tonight showed Keeley w/Jamie.  Now, there’s no reason to doubt Roy/Keeley (he always makes things right with her when things seem in doubt). Perhaps it is totally meant as misdirection/injecting drama, but these two pairs make some sense to me if we go from here to there in a good way.  I’m probably very wrong here, but I feel like seeds have been planted.  

Are they intentionally making Nate look older with the graying this year? Also, of course Nate is going to end up going off with Rebecca’s ex. He’s probably gone & bought another team, no reason to think of otherwise for him giving up shares of the team to Rebecca. 

Edited by pennben
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I'll have to rewatch this episode, to catch everything.

First, Rebecca explaining why she hated her father while Ted told how his father died, very powerful and well edited. Other than it being super dramatic I think both Waddingham and Sudeikis have next years emmy episode submission episode ready to go.

I loved the little note at the end of Ted's therapy session after he asked for hug, he asked if Dr. Fieldstone was going to charge for it and she confirmed that she was and Ted appreciated her integrity. And it's interesting that Coach Beard is the opposite of Ted's dad. Ted's dad talked and didn't listen, Beard listens and talks less. Could that be something that Ted really appreciates in Beard and why?

Interesting that Rebecca married a man who cheated on her, like her mother. I think Sam is important for building Rebecca's confidence, she needs/ed this time with someone decent. And of course Keeley got in one and I like how Nora wasn't hurt by her godmother hooking up with her crush and instead was like well who wouldn't get with Sam given the opportunity.

Also interesting comment by Rebecca's mum about Sassy liking wounded birds as she walked off with Ted.

Keely better not give Jamie the time of day. She's got Roy 'f*cking' Kent, who values her and more importantly admits when he's wrong and apologizes. It was obvious that Roy had issues with death and that's why he was poking at Keely about it. If she weren't so rattled by death she might have realized.

Finally all the little grace notes around this episode: Issac telling the team they were going to funeral in suits, ties, shirts (Jamie!) and dress shoes (the greatest sacrifice of all. Poor Dani, his feet may never recover....though he fortunately has the same size feet as Rebecca), Coach Beard allowing Jane to virtually attend the funeral (of course Jane is into funerals), Collin not knowing where to look while Bex fed her daughter, and the little confused looks everyone had when Rebecca started to sing. Was it telling that Sam didn't know what Rebecca was doing, but Ted did?

• Like 2
  • Love 13

Are they intentionally making Nate look older with the graying this year?

I think so and I think that's the joke, like the episode where Ted thought Dr. Fieldstone was getting closer in the bleachers and each time they showed her, she indeed was closer.  I think all the stress is getting to Nate hence the grey hair because at the end of last week's ep he just had the greying temples. 

And for once I'm glad for Jan Maas' bluntness in questioning Nate's attire.  He's still flexing his tired power suit.

The rickrolled gag was perfect.

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Trillium said:

Jamie confessing his feelings it wasn’t too surprising, he’d always specifically say hello to her, and that stood out to me. But, come on, she has to choose Roy.

Agreed - Jamie still having feelings for her makes total sense and I've kind of been expecting this. He's always had this look when he said hi to her, especially in the Christmas episode (and knowing how that was shot after the rest of the episodes, that has to be intentional), and no doubt she's the nicest person he's ever been with. But goddammit, I don't want a love triangle here. Keeley and Roy are so good together. Although... In the episode with the double date when Roy says to Rebecca that she deserves someone who makes her feel like she's been struck by lightning, Keeley has this look on her face. Now I'm wondering if that's her realising that that's how Roy feels about her, but it might not be how she feels about him. Ugh.

Loved Isaac setting the dress code for the team. Loved Dani's hatred of dress shoes, Jamie holding him up and telling him "We'll sit down in a minute, mate". Loved Keeley and Sassy being overjoyed to see one another again, loved Rebecca apologising to Nora for having a thing with Sam and Nora just thinking it was awesome. Loved Never Gonna Give You Up. Loved Ted and Sharon.

2 hours ago, pennben said:

Are they intentionally making Nate look older with the graying this year?

It's driving me nuts, honestly. It HAS to be intentional.

I wonder if Rupert is going to purchase a new club and bring Nate with him there. Him just releasing his/Bex's shares to Rebecca like means something's afoot.

This was a good episode, but... It also illustrates one of my issues with this season, and that's that it doesn't really build on the previous one (referring to ep 8, not the standalone 9) other than Ted talking to Sharon here. No mention of football or the promotion battle they must be involved in, not a single reference to what happened in the locker room after the semi final. I mean, that was heavy stuff. Instead we just moved to a completely different mini arc. Even Sam/Rebecca is immediately over, at least for now.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Jamie can claim that he’s knowing acting like the man he can be, but he still can’t hold a fucking candle to Roy Kent. If Keely even looks Jamie’s way then they’ve been misrepresenting her character all season. 

I would argue that they’ve been misrepresenting her from the jump if this happens. Even when she was dating Jamie, it wasn’t really because they had a great connection, but because dating hot-dumb 23 year old footballers is what she did. It was part of her brand.

I get that a drama-free relationship isn’t very exciting, but I will join others in burning down the pub if Keely dumps Roy for Jamie. I would rather she just break up with Roy because she’s tired of having four heart attacks a day due to Roy’s habit of materializing out of thin air (he’s every-fucking-where!) and scaring the shit out of her.

I was glad that Ted asked Dr Sharon for a hug because he was so clearly in need of one that I was practically screaming, “Will someone hug him already?!” I liked that Dr Sharon clocked his messy apartment. Not having the energy to do basic chores can be a sign of depression. Ted’s really been struggling and I think all his energy goes into holding it together in public.

I knew Sam and Rebecca couldn’t last, but not for the reasons it ended. I’m really surprised not one person was all, “Girl, you’re his boss!”

I liked Dani in Rebecca’s slippers.

When Rupert said his wife was just going to give her portion of the ownership to Rebecca, I was like “Seriously? That’s all this evil bastard is doing this season?” Then he was whispering to Nate, and I thought, “Oh, there’s the evil bastard we all know.” Trouble is definitely brewing there.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

Ah, we saw Palpatine making his move. Sassy's such a good friend - her takedown of Rupert was brutal and well-deserved. Dragging his baby to a funeral just to humiliate Rebecca was such a shitty thing. And Bex is either an idiot for going along or just as bad as he is.

And another glimpse of Nate's unhinged personality that the other should have picked up. The way those scenes are acted I'm never quite sure if Ted and the others notice and think it's funny or if they do register that there are some real issues boiling underneath. (I guess Jan just got a top spot in the tiger mauling list.) But I was a bit disappointed in Higgins' version of heaven. Cuddling with Cindy Crawford is not okay after all the lovely scenes we had of his marriage.

I loved Rebecca apologizing to Nora about Sam (I had forgotten that she had crush but the writers haven't). The editing between the two 'confession' scenes was great. Sam and Rebecca: Yeah, I'm also baffled that with the exception of Keeley nobody mentioned the real big elephant in the room. Keeley and Jamie: I've got faith that the show knows better than doing a stupid love triangle. I was not surprised about his confession though - it was clear in every scene they had together since his return. But since this show loves romcoms so much I just hope that  was the equivalent of 'Love Acutally's Bob Dylan cue card scene.

Isaac ordering a dress code and just glowering everybody into submission made me laugh but  the running gag about Dani and his shoes fell flat for me. Plenty of opportunities where professional football players have to suit up. But I loved how the costume department added little touches to the styling of each player (well, the ones with lines). Isaac's suit was my favorite.

For a show that spends so much time on fathers they did a wonderful job with letting us know more about Rebecca's mother within a single episode. Like others I was surprised about her 'wounded bird' comment - she truly seems to know everything. And her way of dealing with Rupert was masterful. Between her mother, Sassy and Keeley (and Nora!), Rebecca has one of the most impressive female support systems I've ever seen in a tv show.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 2
  • Love 18

Ok I slept on it. I think Roy and Keely will be ok. They’ve spent what is by now nearly  2/3 of the series showing they are the cat’s pajamas, it’s would ruin a lot of what they have established. Whatever conflict Keely might feel may be more feeling bad about breaking Tartt’s heart. Jamie’s been working really hard on being a better person and he’s emotionally very vulnerable right now with his dad stuff, she probably doesn’t want to hurt him. Hopefully they can talk it out and that be that. 

Nate’s going to join the Dark Side and his ego won’t let him see Rupert is just manipulating him. 

I’m still waiting for a Rebecca and Ted one on one chat. We haven’t had biscuits with the boss in a while. I suspect we will and it’s going to be worth the wait. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Domestic Assassin said:

He was talking about Cindy Clawford, his late cat.

LOL! Well, that makes a lot more sense. I thought the seque from heaven run by pets was weird. Thanks for clearing that up! Now my faith in the Higgins marriage is restored.

• Love 7

I liked how Roy went to Keely after the funeral to apologize and meaning it, like an adult who is actually sorry they messed up.  

When Ted talked about his dad…dad was at home and mom was at work.  Was dad unemployed?   Was he despondent about that?   I wonder if Ted ever found out the reason why his father killed himself…and did it where/when Ted was sure to be the one to find him.  He might have had some closure if he understood why.  

I think, with Nate, due to his upbringing and asshole dad, he associates all teasing with insults regarding his inadequacy, and criticizing what he has done with a put down of him and his intelligence… just the opportunity for Rupert to exploit.    And speaking of Rupert, no way he is giving Rebecca those shares without some sort of string…is sting.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Isaac ordering a dress code and just glowering everybody into submission made me laugh but  the running gag about Dani and his shoes fell flat for me. Plenty of opportunities where professional football players have to suit up. But I loved how the costume department added little touches to the styling of each player (well, the ones with lines). Isaac's suit was my favorite.

I especially liked Colin's look - he looked so dapper with a waistcoat and everything! Isaac's look was also very him.

• Love 6

This is the funniest and saddest episode I've seen on television in a long time. Everyone was pitch perfect. I really want to hang out with these people (except Rupert, of course, and, unfortunately, this season's Nate.)

One thing is bothering me. Didn't Ted say last year that his parents broke up when he was a baby? His father taking him to a bar every Saturday to play darts was typical of a divorced Dad with weekend visitation. But the telling of his father's suicide made it seem like his parents were still together. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

One thing is bothering me. Didn't Ted say last year that his parents broke up when he was a baby? His father taking him to a bar every Saturday to play darts was typical of a divorced Dad with weekend visitation. But the telling of his father's suicide made it seem like his parents were still together. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Maybe you're thinking of when Jamie said his parents split up when he was just a "sexy little baby", heh? I don't think Ted has ever said anything about his parents being divorced.

• Love 3

I absolutely bawled as Ted was telling his story. That's all I can get together just now. I loved how he asked for a hug and then asked about billing and they both were smiling(y). 

Jamie Tartt gtfo with that "confession". Grrr.

I did think the revelation that Rebecca was sleeping with Sam was going to cause a problem with Nora and I literally said "Oh NO" when I realised it but Nora was fine and another example of this writing room not going for tropes.

• Love 7

another example of this writing room not going for tropes.

They are very good at avoiding tropes and not drawing situations out for unnecessary drawn out tension, which is why I'm hoping Jamie's love confession to Keeley amounts to nothing. The show doesn't need a storyline about life's most complicated shape - a love triangle.

• Love 8

This episode is sticking with me.  I loved all the detail work (how all the players had their own way of dealing with wearing a suit/tie/shoes), how Sassy still could get up into the window oF Rebecca's room when her daughter couldn't.  How Sassy left the funeral with Ted.  And how Ted helped Rebecca out by helping her start  the sing-a-long.    Is it wrong that now I want Rick Astley to have a cameo somewhere down the line?

I can't even begin with Ted/Rebecca's  work in their scenes.  And her Mother and Sharon were phenomenal too.  

Jamie, you've come a long way this season and Roy has even hugged you.  If you get in the way of Keeley/Roy, I might have to hate you again.

Also, Nate, I wanted to be wrong about you.  Seems like my suspicions were spot on.  Evil Rupert (who I bet is already cheating on his new wife) is going to buy a team and Nate's going to coach for him.  Grrrr.

• Love 10

I didn't talk much about last week's episode.  I couldn't really process it.  I liked parts of it a lot but really didn't like it-like it.

But am now very glad the show is back to it's normal progression and this was yet another strong episode.

the Ted/Sharon scenes were uniformly excellent.  Jason Sudeikis was phenomenal and he and Sarah Niles are good scene partners.

the needle on my dislike for nate moved a little bit more into the negative side.   I will say I am fascinated with how the show is crafting his character.  I mean, he wants to be a tiger -- not for reasons that have anything to do with any majestic or wonderful traits about the animal -- but so he could maul his enemies.  That is straight up villain thinking.  And I think the show would be so ballsy if they did lean in and just make Nate a flat out villain. It would be fascinating because we can see him go from this benign, pitiable figure that you actually felt sorry for and rooted for as an underdog but he gets a little darker and we see how it happens brick by brick.  And if he does throw his lot in with Rupert then his move to the dark side will be complete. 

As usual the locker room scene with the guys do not disappoint.

I also agree with everyone about Keeley and Roy.  They better not fuck them up.  They just better not....

Funeral Notes:

Sassy is so ride or die.  I love her.  Her take down of Rupert was short but brutal.

Man did they up the sinister factor on Rupert or what? Anthony Head has slimmed down so his face even has a more severe Palpatine-esque cast.

Dress shoes are not life for Danny.  And dude, he needs his hair to flow free as well.  Who would have thought that a man bun would have sucked all the life and animation from someone.

But all the players looked great and of course Isaac would have a little extra flair.  Isaac is really becoming a stealth MVP character this season.

Sam: "I hate big buts and I cannot lie"  I mean... what a great line when someone starts of with great compliments and then comes with the  but...  Even so that was a lovely break up scene.

So now, we've had two very character focused episodes that have nothing to do with soccer or the larger plot.  I am now very curious to see what happens next and I think whatever Rupert whispered to Nate is gonna tee that up.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

They are very good at avoiding tropes and not drawing situations out for unnecessary drawn out tension, which is why I'm hoping Jamie's love confession to Keeley amounts to nothing. The show doesn't need a storyline about life's most complicated shape - a love triangle.

I'm encouraged by the fact that there are still two episodes left. Another show would've done that confession in the season finale, but this way they actually have some time to resolve things or at least clarify what Keeley's thinking.

ETA - I did appreciate how Jamie said he didn't know where to start and that he was "a bit all over the place". That says to me he's been dealing with the aftermath of what happened with his dad himself, at least.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Sam: "I hate big buts and I cannot lie"  I mean... what a great line when someone starts of with great compliments and then comes with the  but...  Even so that was a lovely break up scene.

My favorite laugh out loud line from this episode!🤗

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Domestic Assassin said:

He was talking about Cindy Clawford, his late cat.

I was very grateful for closed-captioning in that scene because seeing it written out as "Cindy Clawford" made me remember how much Higgins loved her and not the model.

• Love 3

I think it’s safe to say that the show, as well as Jason and Hannah, just locked in next year’s Emmy wins. The way they cut back and forth as Ted and Rebecca opened up about their anger with their fathers was masterful. And I love that Dr. Sharon hates tea as much as Ted; that was a nice touch. 

Everyone deserves a ride-or-die friend like Sassy. Telling Rupert she’ll wear red to his funeral to bring joy to the three other people there absolutely took me out. 

Sam is very sweet and I liked him saying he’s only going to get more wonderful. But her being his boss is really the issue here, even though it wasn’t addressed. 

Rebecca rick-rolling everyone during her eulogy was hilarious but also touching, and of course Ted would jump in and get everyone else to sing, too. 

If Roy and Keely break up I will be livid.

Edited by phalange
  • Like 2
  • Love 10

I am on my second watching of this episode. Strangely, I think it might be my favorite episode of the series, which, of course, speaks to the masterful writing and acting. I loved getting to spend time with different relationships—Rebecca and her mom, and Sassy, and Nora, and Keeley; Keeley and Roy; Ted and Dr. Sharon. I loved Deborah’s and Sassy’s take-downs of Rupert. I was telling someone the other day that this show is one of the best (if not the best) at callbacks, and I loved Higgins’s mention of Cindy Clawford. (I also thought it was obliquely pointed to when Sassy told Keeley that “hell yeah” she wanted to be a tree when she died “or a really stupid dog. Either one is a great life.” Higgins seemed to similarly embrace being a goofy dog in death—though I know CC was a cat.) The scenes with Rebecca and her mom and Ted and Dr. Sharon were so powerful, but (and I sense I’m the only person who felt this way), I actually didn’t like the way they were cut because I felt they were too tonally different: finding your father having sex with someone other than your mother is not anywhere near the realm of finding your father dead by suicide. I understand that the conversations were also about Ted and Rebecca’s anger with their fathers, but I still felt like it was jarring to move between the two. I’d also love a Rick Astley cameo.

• Love 10

I was watching (okay, for me, rewatching) with the Mr. and when the brief interaction between Nate and Rupert came on, I said something like, do you suppose he’s a scheming evil traitor, or some kind of double agent who’s going to do something we least expect and redeem himself. And he said, Oh, like Snape!  Hmmm. We’ll see. 

10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was watching (okay, for me, rewatching) with the Mr. and when the brief interaction between Nate and Rupert came on, I said something like, do you suppose he’s a scheming evil traitor, or some kind of double agent who’s going to do something we least expect and redeem himself. And he said, Oh, like Snape!  Hmmm. We’ll see. 

I don’t think Nate has hit rock bottom yet for his redemption arc to begin.  We’ve seen him snap at those less powerful and be hateful, but it hasn’t been public and there have been no repercussions.  Yet.   

• Love 1

Very good episode. I laughed, I cried. Kind of all I can say right now.

Am I the only one who never pictured Rick Astley as a black dude? Before I finally saw the video, I had always imagined him as an old, fat white guy with gray hair and a gray goatee. 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, DearEvette said:

So now, we've had two very character focused episodes that have nothing to do with soccer or the larger plot.  I am now very curious to see what happens next and I think whatever Rupert whispered to Nate is gonna tee that up.

I’m getting a feeling he told Nate about Rebecca and Sam and Nate is going to do something with the info. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

I’m getting a feeling he told Nate about Rebecca and Sam and Nate is going to do something with the info. 

I don't remember if Rupert knew; I thought it was just the immediate women? And for this episode's purpose, I wonder if Rupert said anything of substance to Nate and was only doing it to unnerve Rebecca to plant the seeds of doubt. (Rebecca: What'd Rupert say to you at my father's funeral? Nate: Oh, he said he liked my suit. R: hmmmm.) I agree there will be a pay-off that burns Nate because Rupert is using him. (Rupert: I bought a Championship League team, come be my gaffer. Nate: Bye, Bitches. Enjoy another season in the Premier League. R: Oops, never mind. N: 😲)

I'll miss Rebecca and Sam (yeah, yeah, there are very good reasons they shouldn't be together), but they were good.

Rick Rolling will never get old. I noticed they started the episode with "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd. I remember when they were hot for those 15 minutes back in 1991 that people thought they were black. Bookended Deborah's belief Rick Astley was black.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

I don't remember if Rupert knew; I thought it was just the immediate women? And for this episode's purpose, I wonder if Rupert said anything of substance to Nate and was only doing it to unnerve Rebecca to plant the seeds of doubt. (Rebecca: What'd Rupert say to you at my father's funeral? Nate: Oh, he said he liked my suit. R: hmmmm.) I agree there will be a pay-off that burns Nate because Rupert is using him. (Rupert: I bought a Championship League team, come be my gaffer. Nate: Bye, Bitches. Enjoy another season in the Premier League. R: Oops, never mind. N: 😲)

I'll miss Rebecca and Sam (yeah, yeah, there are very good reasons they shouldn't be together), but they were good.

Rick Rolling will never get old. I noticed they started the episode with "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd. I remember when they were hot for those 15 minutes back in 1991 that people thought they were black. Bookended Deborah's belief Rick Astley was black.

The only way Rupert would know is through surveillance.  

11 minutes ago, SnarkShark said:

The only way Rupert would know is through surveillance.  

I mean, it is entirely possible that he has paparazzi friends who spotted Sam and Rebecca on their date, followed up and caught some stuff, and came to Rupert about it rather than break the story.

• Love 1

Like everone has said, this ep was masterful.  Jason and Hannah nailed it.  Just so freakin impressive.  I kinda feel like Jason tapped into his RL situation in his scenes.  There has been an inherent sadness in him whenever you see him this past year…it was mentioned in the Emmy thread many times people wondering if he was ok.  Watching him at the Emmys I felt like his success with Ted Lasso is bittersweet.  (as an aside I have been fan of Olivia Wilde since her House days, but Harry Styles?  Girl cmon. Hope that movie bombs).  Like he is smiling and happy on the outside to everyone and holding it together, but inside he is dying.  Just like Ted.   Regardless, he earned another Emmy, as did Hannah.  Glad we got to hear her sing again.  

I know this won’t be popular, but I was bummed Rebecca broke up with Sam.  Reading the next ep description, her being his boss might not be an issue anymore, although I never saw it as an issue to begin with.  I think Nate will dip his toe into the dark side, but ultimately will not go all the way.  As for Keely, I think she is flattered with Jamie’s revelation (which surprised no one) but I think she is smart enough to know he doesnt really love her he just thinks he does.  Although when Roy said ILY to her, she didn’t say it back, which is usually the death knell when that happens so who knows where this is going?

What the hell are we gonna do in 2 weeks when this season is over???  😳

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Turtle Wexler said:

The scenes with Rebecca and her mom and Ted and Dr. Sharon were so powerful, but (and I sense I’m the only person who felt this way), I actually didn’t like the way they were cut because I felt they were too tonally different: finding your father having sex with someone other than your mother is not anywhere near the realm of finding your father dead by suicide.

There was something masterful, yet almost too artistic about it for me.  I thought Jason’s cracked stoicism made Hannah look a little like she was chewing the scenery during Rebeca’s reveal, but both stories were powerful and both delivered them well in character.  We also got the details of Ted’s dad without getting the details, if that makes sense.

I ship Sassy and Ted so much now.  She is a beacon of joy and fun that he desperately needs.  What I really want is is for him to have a panic attack that she can help him with (not to get rid of Sharon, whom I adore) but just to give Sassy another layer.  We know she is ruthlessly loyal; Ted can use as much of that as he can get, and he doesn’t feel comfortable letting very many in past his facade.

• Love 5