Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: No Weddings and a Funeral

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I have the opposite reaction to Sassy.  I thought she wasn’t very interesting  beyond “wacky comic relief/sidekick” in season 1.  When Rebecca’s mom said after the funeral that she’s always attracted to wounded birds - that’s when she got another layer for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

When Rebecca’s mom said after the funeral that she’s always attracted to wounded birds

For me it was basically a female version of preying on a person in fragile emotional state. That's why I consider Sassy to be Ted's Jane Payne, more or less. A wacky creep.

But what do I know? The show apparently thinks Keely masturbating to Roy being emotional on Internet is "relationship goals" or whatever.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CooperTV said:

For me it was basically a female version of preying on a person in fragile emotional state. That's why I consider Sassy to be Ted's Jane Payne, more or less. A wacky creep.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Sassy was interested in Ted as soon as she met him, when he was asking for a fax machine and said he'd settle for a carrier pigeon. She knew nothing of his emotional state, and there's not really anything to suggest she knows he had a panic attack, or is fragile in any way, later in the episode.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't think that's a fair assessment.

The wounded bird comment now exists outside of any particular viewer assessment. As the fact she went for him at the funeral, in the episode where he, yet again, was emotionally vulnerable.

In other words, I rest my case.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

The wounded bird comment now exists outside of any particular viewer assessment. As the fact she went for him at the funeral, in the episode where he, yet again, was emotionally vulnerable.

I'm not sure where you are getting that Sassy is somehow knowingly going after Ted when he's vulnerable. She wasn't with him outside the club when he had the first panic attack, and the show made it pretty clear that Rebecca was the only one who knew about that one. She doesn't know what his state of mind was the day of the funeral, or that he had a panic attack prior to the funeral. All that the characters know, outside of Dr. Sharon, is that he was late to the funeral. And Rebecca's mother's comment about Ted being a wounded bird is very likely a reference to his recent divorce, and the fact that he's the one "who was left" and didn't do the leaving, as per the lunch conversation between the two of them earlier in the season.

Rebecca has not, as far as we know, discussed Ted's panic attacks with anyone, including Sassy. She didn't even disclose her concerns with Beard when she went looking for Ted after he walked off the pitch and they had their conversation after the game. There isn't anything this season to suggest that Sassy is aware of Ted's situation at all in that respect. As far as Sassy is concerned, both she and Ted are recently divorced adults with a mutual attraction for each other, if nothing else. I don't think that puts her in Jane Payne territory.

• Like 2
  • Love 14

I am trying to remember their encounters.  The first time she meets him they flirt and end up spending the night together.  IIRC, no one knows he is signing divorce papers.  They have a great night together, and I think she indicates to Rebecca that he was gentle and they had fun.  Of course we see them the next morning when she seems surprised and delighted that he is being so thoughtful.  She seemed intrigued about him in her conversation with Rebecca afterwards.  At the funeral, again no one other than Sharon knows why he was late.   What am I missing that suggests she is predatory?

• Like 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I am trying to remember their encounters.  The first time she meets him they flirt and end up spending the night together.  IIRC, no one knows he is signing divorce papers.  They have a great night together, and I think she indicates to Rebecca that he was gentle and they had fun.  Of course we see them the next morning when she seems surprised and delighted that he is being so thoughtful.  She seemed intrigued about him in her conversation with Rebecca afterwards.  At the funeral, again no one other than Sharon knows why he was late.   What am I missing that suggests she is predatory?

Sassy can definitely be drawn to wounded birds without being conscious of the wound. And her attraction to wounded birds may be a positive healing thing (which I thought Rebecca's mother was suggesting approvingly) and not predatory at all. 

I don't even really like Sassy,  but I don't think she is harmful to Ted. Sometimes I bristle at the way she speaks to Rebecca. I usually respond really well to insults that represent loving familiarity but they're not working for me here. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, CooperTV said:

You called her a wacky creep. There's no justification that I can see for that, and I already pointed out that Sassy had no knowledge of Ted's "wounded" status when she first became interested in him. And there was certainly nothing to suggest she was acting in any kind of predatory way.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6

That was a pretty great episode although I thought the funeral ran a bit long. Especially the part where the priest was speaking and the prayer before Rebecca's eulogy. 

But man Ted's therapy session was good but rough. Especially when you figure that he thinks his father abandoned him but at the same time he also moved an ocean away from his own son (but he also realizes that moving away was the best thing for his ex). Right before the panic attack he saw one of his son's army men so I imagine he is thinking about that too.

I am glad that Sam and Rebecca broke up though, because the owner/player relationship seems super inappropriate. Like even more than a regular boss/employee relationship since trading him (or not trading vs someone else) would be something she might have to think about on a regular basis.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/24/2021 at 8:29 AM, Schweedie said:

Isaac ordering a dress code and just glowering everybody into submission made me laugh

He truly is a worthy successor to Roy as captain. He runs a tight ship AND gives great haircuts. ;-)

Also: Sam and Rebecca didn't work out on "Cheers," either! (I'll show myself out...

Edited by kwnyc
Additional thought
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

This episode went on FOREVER. Good grief. But not literally because this was soooooooo drawn out. And so many of these people miss the obvious. I hope they get a clue faster than this ep.