• Pepsi
    • Other (RC, Rite, Faygo...)
  2. 2. Flavored?

• No Way - Plain for me
    • Cherry
    • Lemon
    • Lime
    • Other

I know it is pretty bad for you, so it's incredibly rare that I will drink a soda of any kind, but I LOVE Coke.  Honestly, when people ask questions like, "if there was one food that you wish was good for you and low in calories, so that you could eat it all the time it would be ____" I never answer "Soda" but I always have to think it through.  

On the day it is announced that the world will be ending imminently or I'm told I have a very brief span remaining in my lifetime, there's going to be a whole lot of eating going on over here and I will wash down all the things I normally eschew on "it's bad for you" grounds with a BIG, bottomless, never-ending coke.  Only pausing to take margarita breaks, perhaps.  Then I will have a Coke float.  Maybe two.  

Now, I'll be righteously, horribly, indescribably ill, but I will be happy, people, I will be happy

So yeah....Coke. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

I've heard it called soda, pop, and cola, but I've never heard it referred to as "drink".

In the very small town in NH where my cousins lived, they always called it tonic.

I don't drink soda much, but my drink of choice is Seagram's Ginger Ale.  Since trying that I don't even find Canada Dry tolerable.

Dr. Pepper gives me the hiccups off one sip.  I've tested this and it always happens.

My name is Kathy and I'm a soda addict. I love Coke Zero but will drink Diet Pepsi if it's on sale. I rarely drink regular soda but if I do it's Coke over Pepsi. I think Dr. Pepper tastes like cough syrup and I won't touch it.

Does anybody drink Zevia? What's the opinion?

My sister drinks Zevia. Her fave soda is Diet Dr. Pepper but if she buys soda for home it's Zevia. She says it's enjoyable but different. She's tried Dr. Zevia, Grapefruit Citrus & Cream Soda. She said the grapefruit reminds her vaguely of Fresca. Does anyone remember it?

Do any of you Coke drinkers ever go to places with the Freestyle machines?  I travel around a lot (well, 100% of the time, actually), and have had Coke from dozens of different Freestyle machines all over the country.  The Coke always tastes the same in every Freestyle machine, but it's very different from any other Coke I've ever had--it has a definite cinnamon flavor.  If I were to taste it without knowing what it was, I would never in a million years identify it as Coke.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it's definitely different from what Coke tastes like in bottles or cans or regular drink machines.  Has anyone else noticed this?

FWIW, the Dr Pepper tastes like it should.  [Edit--correction, the Freestyle machine at Five Guys tonight had Mr. Pibb, not Dr Pepper.  Whatever--it tasted about like it should, unlike every Coke I've ever had from one of those machines.]

Edited by StatisticalOutlier

I grew up drinking what was available in our fridge, which was Diet Pepsi. I switched to Diet Coke in high school, mainly because that's what was in the soda machines there. These days I can drink either one, but I prefer Diet Coke. I've always been able to tell the difference between the two by taste, but recently I've discovered that if someone close behind me opens up a can, I can tell what they've got from the smell.

Always remember what they said about the Cola Wars in Bloom County:

"Care for a refreshing cola, Mr. Binkley?"

"Certainly Mr. Bloom. But which to choose?"

(several panels of discussion)

"The Dilemma remains. Coke or Pepsi? Or do we overlook an even more vital national issue?"

"Yes. Both Taste like malted battery acid."

Speaking of cola, I was at a food/wine convention recently and tried a drink called MerloCola (yeah, exactly what it is.  Merlot + cola).  The first sip was good, but afterwards....GROSSSSS!!!  Plus something like this promotes underage drinking. 

The Coke always tastes the same in every Freestyle machine, but it's very different from any other Coke I've ever had--it has a definite cinnamon flavor.

Sounds like the diet Coke ("Coca Light") in Latin American countries! For years I've been telling people how delicious the diet coke was in Mexico and S. America, and going on and on about how I thought the recipe was different, maybe with more cinnamon...? and no one believes me--until they try it for themself :)

A regional store, HEB, had two limited edition holiday flavors this year: Vanilla Cola and Candy Cane. They were on sale, so I bought a case of each. I've been drinking the Vanilla Cola off and on, it's not as good as ordering a vanilla Coke from Dairy Queen, but it's pretty good. Last night, I opened the Candy Cane to toast with at midnight (we don't drink alcoholic beverages) -- good Lord, it was awful. It tasted like mouthwash. I think it would be okay to cook with, like reducing it down to make a syrup to pour over ice cream, or in a chocolate cake mix. But to drink it straight, bleh.

Not surprised that Candy Cane Coke tastes like mouthwash.  Probably should have gone a safe/traditional route and toasted with sparkling grape juice or ginger ale.

Edited by PRgal

I've cut out pop completely (haven't had a drop since the end of May/beginning of June), but when I was drinking it, it was Coke all the way. I still get a slight craving for it from time to time, but I refuse to give in.

When I was kid, I took an honest-to-goodness in-store Pepsi Challenge and picked Coke. The lady running the booth seemed so irritated I ran off because I thought I was about to get scolded.

Of course, now I know I was just an irritating kid and it wasn't about my answer, but obviously I still carry scars. :)

• Love 1

I like both. But I've been drinking Pepsi for years now (only the kind with sugar though, unless I'm out then I have Dr. Pepper or something). Coke just hasn't tasted the same in quite awhile. Used to be a HUGE Cherry Coke fan too, but now it tastes like cherry cough syrup :(. Closest I've found to what it used to taste like is Cherry Dr. Pepper.

Any Crystal Pepsi fans here? Loved the stuff back in the day. Tasted great and it had NO caramel coloring or High Fructose Corn Syrup in it!

In this county of NC we call it drink. "Is there any drink at the house or do I need to stop and get some?"

Ramble answered exactly how I have always known it to be done. It is the best thing on a hot, hot day, especially if you are sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck in a shady spot. If you can find the little 8 oz "coh-cola" glass bottles of drink that is what the old timers used. Coh-cola is Coca Cola which is Coke. If you don't have peanuts, the snack is coh-cola and a pack of nabs. I am a Pepsi gal in the cola war. But I only have about two a month because I am a sweet tea with lemon drinker. Made with Tetley round bags. I prefer crushed ice. I think it was John Besh, a chef, who answered one of those quick fire interviews asking several people how they had their tea, that his was sweet tea, crushed ice, styrofoam cup. And that is the perfect way to drink it. I use Splenda now and don't really like it too sweet but it HAS to be strong. And back to the Pepsi, the two I drink are usually with pizza because pizza just calls out for fizz. And actually, my "drink" (soda, pop, to refresh your memory after this long rambling post) of choice is A&W root beer, diet. It is the only diet drink I will have. But most places in the south don't serve root beer. All diet colas taste like bug spray smells.

Are you my mother? Lol. She lives in NC, and when I visit, she's always asking my dad, "do you need anymore drink with your nabs?" Edited by Betweenyouandme

Never even heard of peanut in a Coke!

And I do remember the '80s Cherry 7-Up commercials. It's still made? Wow. I liked it. I thought it was discontinued!

Peanuts in Coke is a "Southern" thing, as you might've gathered from the lyrics to the Barbara Mandrell song.

Peanuts in Coke is a "Southern" thing, as you might've gathered from the lyrics to the Barbara Mandrell song.

I grew up in the Hudson Valley of NY and we loved putting peanuts in our little bottles of Coca-Cola.  When I moved to Raleigh years ago and heard folks there say it was a southern thing I'd say, "We did that in NY back in the day".  I still love to do it.  I enjoyed hearing southerners say "Co-cola" (and one of my aunts who was originally from Richmond used to ask us if we'd like a glass of "ging-ale"...loved that & her elegant southern drawl!)  I love Zero Coke and Zero Coke decaffinated--IMO much better than Diet Coke (which I find watery). For me, Zero Coke has some of that richness that the real deal Coke always has had.  A really great ging-ale is Seagram's Diet Ginger Ale.  I find it to be not overly sweet like a lot of ginger ales. 

I grew up in the Hudson Valley of NY and we loved putting peanuts in our little bottles of Coca-Cola. When I moved to Raleigh years ago and heard folks there say it was a southern thing I'd say, "We did that in NY back in the day". I still love to do it. I enjoyed hearing southerners say "Co-cola" (and one of my aunts who was originally from Richmond used to ask us if we'd like a glass of "ging-ale"...loved that & her elegant southern drawl!) I love Zero Coke and Zero Coke decaffinated--IMO much better than Diet Coke (which I find watery). For me, Zero Coke has some of that richness that the real deal Coke always has had. A really great ging-ale is Seagram's Diet Ginger Ale. I find it to be not overly sweet like a lot of ginger ales.

As a Southerner by birth & for the 1st 3 years of my life, I honestly always thought peanuts in Coke was a strictly Southern thing. If I'd been aware it was a Hudson Valley in NY State thing too, I'd have shared the credit.

My maternal Grandma & pretty much everybody in the "Southern" side of my heritage (I'm Filipina on my paternal side), including the family who lived next door to my Grandparents, all called Coca-Cola/Coke "Co-Cola" too. Good times!

As for me, I'll drink Coke, Pepsi, Cherry Coke, Lime Coke (if they'd revive it anyway--I was *so* mad when it got discontinued), 7-Up, Sprite, Root Beer (multiple brands), Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pibb, & any orange &/or grape soda. If it were still around, I'd also drink the lemon-flavored Pepsi--I think it used to be called Pepsi Twist, possibly among other names.

As I said, I'm a Southerner by birth/for 3 years of my life so I'm a "Coke" girl by heritage. However, I've lived in the North (Indiana) for the other almost 49 years of my life; so I've learned to drink Pepsi, when I had to, as well.

I *absolutely won't* drink Vanilla Coke (the 1 time I tried, I thought it tasted like someone mixed Coke with the powder out of someone's compact. UGH!) I also won't drink 99.9% of the diet sodas out there, including plain Coke Zero. I can't get past the "diet" aftertaste in them.

The 1 & only diet soda I *will* drink is Cherry Coke Zero. For some reason, I don't get a "diet" aftertaste from it (I don't know if it has to do with the added cherry flavoring, or not). It tastes just like regular Cherry Coke to me.

If it were still around, I'd also drink the lemon-flavored Pepsi--I think it used to be called Pepsi Twist, possibly among other names.

Yeah, the last go-round, it was called Pepsi Twist. Although before that in the '70s, when I was but a kidlet, it was in a light blue can with a picture of a lemon wedge on it and was called Pepsi Light. Same Pepsi with Lemon, different can...same failure?

At least Pepsi Free stuck even if it is just now Caffeine Free Pepsi.

As I said, I'll drink Pepsi or Coke, including the Cherry flavors. Love them. And I miss Lime Coke, too! I did see that overseas even has/had Raspberry Coke. I wonder why we in the US never had it (as far as I know)? Sorry to say, however, that Vanilla Coke was nasty and Pepsi Blue even more so. I do recall also trying Crystal Pepsi and, while not a favorite, I don't get the bad press/memories of it since I did think it tasted exactly like Pepsi minus the coloring. I guess people need the coloring.  :-)

And, finally, I also love Dr. Pepper. And while it is a lot less prevalent than it was when I was a kid and am not sure if it is just regional at this point, but if Pepsi or Coke is not a cola option, I did like RC Cola. The last time I had it, though, was in college in the '90s.

In the very small town in NH where my cousins lived, they always called it tonic.

I don't drink soda much, but my drink of choice is Seagram's Ginger Ale.  Since trying that I don't even find Canada Dry tolerable.

Dr. Pepper gives me the hiccups off one sip.  I've tested this and it always happens.

After growing up on Vernor's ginger ale, both Seagram's and Canada Dry seem horribly tasteless to me.  I don't drink a lot of pop - I'm not terribly fond of sweet beverages - but when I do it's Vernor's or A&W root beer. 

Coke edges out Pepsi in the cola wars.  Was surprised anyone else had heard of Faygo to list it in the survey -- I'm sensing a seekrit Detroiter. :)

I like carbonation but not the sweet so much as I said so my usual choice is unsweetened, flavored sparking waters.

After growing up on Vernor's ginger ale, both Seagram's and Canada Dry seem horribly tasteless to me. I don't drink a lot of pop - I'm not terribly fond of sweet beverages - but when I do it's Vernor's or A&W root beer.

Coke edges out Pepsi in the cola wars. Was surprised anyone else had heard of Faygo to list it in the survey -- I'm sensing a seekrit Detroiter. :)

I like carbonation but not the sweet so much as I said so my usual choice is unsweetened, flavored sparking waters.

Not a Detroiter (but close--half-hour plane flight, or probably 4-ish hours by car, I think, away from Detroit). But I also know from Faygo. And will drink certain flavors. I'll also drink certain flavors of Crush. And I've been pissed that both Welch's & Sunkist soda brands apparently are no more.

On 3/21/2015 at 7:08 PM, latetotheparty said:

After growing up on Vernor's ginger ale, both Seagram's and Canada Dry seem horribly tasteless to me.  I don't drink a lot of pop - I'm not terribly fond of sweet beverages - but when I do it's Vernor's or A&W root beer. 

Coke edges out Pepsi in the cola wars.  Was surprised anyone else had heard of Faygo to list it in the survey -- I'm sensing a seekrit Detroiter. 🙂

Mr. P914 picks up a ton of Vernor's Diet Ginger Ale whenever he goes home to Michigan. One time I was with him at the supermarket and a lady behind me said, "Someone really likes Vernors".  I had to tell her we can't get Vernor's Diet ginger ale around here (metro DC area).  The only ginger ale I like is Seagram's Diet - not sweet like the others (at least IMO) and I love those little cans.  Now I'm really getting into Deer Park Sparkling Water with a twist of lime and lots of ice. Very refreshing.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, icemiser69 said:

I still have Cinnamon Coke left over from Christmas.  I hope they bring it back next holiday season, it is awesome.

Yeah, me too, I have about half a 12 pack left. I wish I would have bought more.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, icemiser69 said:

I still have Cinnamon Coke left over from Christmas.  I hope they bring it back next holiday season, it is awesome.

I bought some mini cans of the cinnamon coke and they were really good!!!

On 4/22/2020 at 2:19 PM, Ranger Bob said:

Dr. Pepper, hands down.  

For those from Texas you may remember Dublin Dr. Pepper before they were shut down.  OMG!  So good.

My late husband (Bob!) was raised near Dublin and grew up on that. It was his favorite. They shut down the factory shortly before he died.

as I’ve gotten older my body is more and more rejecting alcohol, leaving soda as my remaining vice.  It’s 1/2 Diet Pepsi 1/2 wild cherry all the way.  

A few years ago I was on medication that drastically changed my taste buds.  It made my daily soda fix temporarily off limits.  After ending the medication it took weeks for it to taste good again.  I still remember the first one that tasted good again, it was nearly orgasmic.

I could go on about how great Mexican Coke is. It's the ONLY time I really drink non-diet anymore.  If I ever eat in an authentic taqueria, I always ask if they've got it. 

The best easily available Diet, hands down, is probably Diet Dr. Pepper. I saw someone talking about Cheerwine before, and if I'm in the right part of the South, Diet Cheerwine is possibly even better than DDP, but I don't live where I can get it affordably. 

I will say the advent of these "Zero" formulations is leading to better tasting non-sugared sodas. I could list a bunch, but just sticking to Cola and Cola-adjacent sodas, I actually like the Pepsi versions better than the Coke ones. The new Pepsi Zero Mango, for example, is great, although I know people who aren't Mango fans who want to barf after drinking it. 

On 4/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, Kromm said:

I could go on about how great Mexican Coke is. It's the ONLY time I really drink non-diet anymore.  If I ever eat in an authentic taqueria, I always ask if they've got it. 

The best easily available Diet, hands down, is probably Diet Dr. Pepper. I saw someone talking about Cheerwine before, and if I'm in the right part of the South, Diet Cheerwine is possibly even better than DDP, but I don't live where I can get it affordably. 

I will say the advent of these "Zero" formulations is leading to better tasting non-sugared sodas. I could list a bunch, but just sticking to Cola and Cola-adjacent sodas, I actually like the Pepsi versions better than the Coke ones. The new Pepsi Zero Mango, for example, is great, although I know people who aren't Mango fans who want to barf after drinking it. 

Totally agree-the Pepsi Zero Mango made me want to barf, but my fiance and his daughter both like it!

I also agree with zero sugar sodas getting considerably better.  While Diet Dr. Pepper is really good, I would encourage you to try the new Dr. Pepper Zero-one of the closest to the original formulas I think is out there and it's still fairly new.

Finally, Coke has re-released Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero.  I became obsessed during quarantine, then they stopped making it due to the aluminum shortage, now it's back, albeit in plastic bottles.  Cans are SO much better tasting than the stupid plastic bottles.  

23 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I'm watching the movie Scrooged and Tab is predominately featured. Do they even make Tab anymore?

They do not...sigh... 

I have the last can I bought on my desk at work.  I actually stopped drinking soda a long time ago, but when I saw Tab in the store I had to buy it.  It served me well back in the day while I was trying to cut back on all the sugar. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1