Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: Bali Highs and Lows

• Start Topic

So, Bravo has a new preview clip uploaded on their site and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the description: "In Bali, Lizzie Rovsek and Tamra Barney face-off over Lizzie's birthday party and whether or not she wore pants to it."

Ahh, the Housewives shows, shine on you crazy diamond...

• Love 5

I don't even understand what they're arguing about in that clip. It's frustrating trying to figure out the dynamics of Danielle, Lizzie and Tamra when Danielle's been cut out of the season.

I'm tired of the drama of who didn't text about being late or not attending a function. That's all production mind games. The Housewives have been in this game too long to fall for that trick over and over.

• Love 2

As the season wears on, the narrative is becoming more confusing and I do think the cutting of Danielle's scenes might be part of it.  When you witness how Laurie and Jeana were part of the action when they came back for visits, makes the cutting of most Danielle scenes even more puzzling.  It does seem to add more crediblity to a rumour that Danielle opted to not be a full time housewife on her own after what went down in Bali.  It could explain why she was featured a little more in the first episodes and hardly featured at all now (except for the suitcase shopping scene with Danielle and Lizzie).  I'd still like to know what went on between Shannon and Danielle since their brief fight was edited out as well.

• Love 1

I don't even understand what they're arguing about in that clip. It's frustrating trying to figure out the dynamics of Danielle, Lizzie and Tamra when Danielle's been cut out of the season.

I'm tired of the drama of who didn't text about being late or not attending a function. That's all production mind games. The Housewives have been in this game too long to fall for that trick over and over.

Yeah, I agree.  It really makes me question their overall intelligence.

I'm invited to Heather's house for a party.  I'm ready to go.  The Bravo car is CONVENIENTLY running late.

Now, do I (A) sit here and do my nails and wait for its arrival, knowing full well Heather is going to be on me like white on rice as soon as I arrive for my tardiness (even though she knows the Bravo Late Car game)....or (B) am I going to shoot her a quick text with a heads up that the car, and by extension, I am going to be late for the party.

Pretty sure I wouldn't want Heather's Whoville eyes staring holes through me all night and on the receiving end of one of her overly-enunciated speeches about my shortcomings.  Yeah, I'm going with B.

Yet very few of these women seem to figure that out.  Like when Lisa on RHoBH trusted production (there's an oxymoron, the use of "trust" and "Bravo production" in the same sentence) to tell her professed IRL friend Yolanda she would not make the oh-so-important tile-painting party.  

Lisa's probably one of the most savvy of these women across all franchises.  Yet she didn't think to text Yo herself and instead trusted production to let Yo know?

Sorry, if you've got time to tell production you won't make an event or will be late, you've got time to shoot a brief text.

I remember reading back on TWOP that during the 80s Bunco party, when Vicki made her point and then exited to leave...but a couple of minutes later reappeared in the party and all hell REALLY broke loose?  The "word on the street" was that she HAD to go back in because the Bravo car had been instructed to leave and Vicki was stuck there.

I dunno...seems like if I were on this show, I'd have just as much fun trying to outsmart the Bravo machinations as I would tormenting the other women.  It might not make me one of Andy's "pets" but it sure would be a whole lotta fun in the process.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 5

I do remember the whole issue with Kim on BH not showing up at Yolanda's house for a lemon cleansing party.  Yolanda kept telling people that Kim ditched while Kim kept saying that they never set a date.  Production interfered to paint a story calling into question if Kim was still sober or not and used Yolanda to do so thus causing Kim and Yolanda to have issues.  Only at the reunion that season did Yolanda admit she never made plans with Kim personally but through production then tried to cover by saying that is why they needed to have relationships outside of the show so they wouldn't have to rely on production.  You'd think the women would be smarter by now.

I can understand Shannon and Lizzie not being in on this since they are newbies and they don't know all the ins and outs... but Tamra, Vicki, and heather?  I'm sure they have to partake because of job security, but I'd rather see interesting in their own lives vs women fighting with one another.  Season 4 was a perfect balance of the two concepts on this show.

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 1

I do remember the whole issue with Kim on BH not showing up at Yolanda's house for a lemon cleansing party.  Yolanda kept telling people that Kim ditched while Kim kept saying that they never set a date.  Production interfered to paint a story calling into question if Kim was still sober or not and used Yolanda to do so thus causing Kim and Yolanda to have issues.  Only at the reunion that season did Yolanda admit she never made plans with Kim personally but through production then tried to cover by saying that is why they needed to have relationships outside of the show so they wouldn't have to rely on production.  You'd think the women would be smarter by now.

I can understand Shannon and Lizzie not being in on this since they are newbies and they don't know all the ins and outs... but Tamra, Vicki, and heather?  I'm sure they have to partake because of job security, but I'd rather see interesting in their own lives vs women fighting with one another.  Season 4 was a perfect balance of the two concepts on this show.

I remember that with Kim and Yo, too.  In that case, I agreed with Kim...Do I really want to go over there so I can partake of Ye Holy Cleanse.  Nah, I'd pass, too. Kim probably considered herself quite lucky that production never passed the invite along to her (I know I would have).

I think because these women spend so much time with their production assistants that they start thinking of them as "friends" and forget one tiny detail...Bravo is signing the production assistants' paychecks, their loyalty is to their employer, not the housewife to whom they are assigned.

I still haven't seen all of season 4 of this show.  I need to just buy it on DVD since Bravo will run a few episodes from that season once in awhile but never the entire season.  I've never seen the "evil eye" episode (between Tamra and Gretchen, not between Brooks and Tamra) nor the episode about Simon and Tamra going into foreclosure.  

These Bali episodes can't come quick enough for me.  Does anyone happen to know how many episodes are left of this season?  

I have a feeling this reunion is going to make the RHONYC reunion look like a day at the park.

Edited by Persnickety1

I'm absolutely convinced there is nothing on heaven or earth that would get me to be a HoWife.

And then they go to someplace like Bali........

I couldn't carry off "Trucker with Tits" but I might be able to do "Subaru Social Service Worker with all of her teeth".

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 8

Beautiful place they're in. Wasted on them.

Won't be long before they are out of the travelogue portion of the show and on to petty bickering.  Something they could accomplish by going to Javier's again and having a chair war.

New York gets the Berkshires and shared beds and glamping in Montana.  These women get their own rooms and nice rooms at that, with gorgeous views and huge soaking tubs.  What exactly was Heather's purpose on the airplane acting like a flight attendant, waking fellow castmates to check on them and then again at the hotel acting like Tattoo from "Fantasy Island".  I half expected Heather to give a back story on why the women came to the Island.  Is there ever a time Heather is out of camera range?   

• Love 5

Wasted on them indeed.

What never fails to disgust me about some of the ladies (mainly Vicki and Tammy Sue) are how they can be so damn judgmental when traveling. Shock and ewws when they saw more than one family with a baby on a moped in Bali kinda made me want to scream. Seriously not everyone in the world is going to be running around in an empty or half empty SUV guzzling gas and spewing out fumes. You do what you gonna do with the means and tools available to you.

Tamra's "I thought we were going to Bali, not Tijuana" when she saw the more "common areas" as they rode to their all expense paid luxury vacay made me want to simultaneously vomit and slap her. Did she expect the whole island to be wall to wall 5 star luxury hotels, day spas, bars and nightclubs? The poor locals who have the misfortune to wait on her hand and hoof have to live somewhere. And seriously, the area didn't look squalid. It wasn't covered in trash. Whether it be abroad or here in the USA, people live all kinds of ways dependent upon their income. Tamra should know that damn well being from the trailer born. The scenery was gorgeous. All of it. I loved the juxtaposition of the temples, statutes with signs of everyday life, like the corner store. It just seemed like they were like "aww, we have finally arrived" only after they had been safely ensonsced in their expensive suites. I get wanting your creature comforts but it is like they can only stand but so much 'other culture' exposure. Why travel half way around the world to eat at McDonalds everyday? That is the impression they give me.

I wish I could travel business class, but that seating was weird. Was that Virgin Airlines? I heard about those pods.

I hate that hat Heather was wearing.

Vicki should stick to that style dress always. She looked nice in that black and white dress.

I don't understand the point to Danielle at all.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 16

I have been to Bali - absolutely beautiful and the people so nice.....

Does Andy insist they all start bitching the minute they leave/arrive in a destination - like NY's Berkshires and Montana or OC's Bali trip.

What ungrateful and unworldly bitches.

• Love 7

I have been to Bali - absolutely beautiful and the people so nice.....

Does Andy insist they all start bitching the minute they leave/arrive in a destination - like NY's Berkshires and Montana or OC's Bali trip.

What ungrateful and unworldly bitches.

Me too Maggie, I loved Bali, especially Ubud. I hope we get to see a lot of the island.

• Love 1

Ubud - the arts and crafts and little different villages and beautiful views of rice patties, and temples.

I would love to see the women experience those things than sit around a table screaming at each other - and actually have fun!

• Love 2

Per the previews: Gotta love how Shannon is all WHAT OMG SHOCKED when Lizzie tells her Tamra might not be trustworthy. Did Shannon have a blackout, a la Tamra, and completely forget the dinner party? (Or the entire season?)

It would make sense if she was always being told that she was lying or crazy regarding Tamra. Heather stood firmly behind Tamra saying she never lies. Vicki never spoke up to support Shannon and tell everyone that Tamra told her the same thing. Shannon didn't have the benefit of seeing Tamra's THs where she claims to not remember if she said it or not.

She could very well be shocked to hear other people saying that Tamra's a lying shit stirrer.

Edited by charming
  • Love 2

What never fails to disgust me about some of the ladies (mainly Vicki and Tammy Sue) are how they can be so damn judgmental when traveling.

Ditto.  I want to bitch slap them so hard when they do that.   They are ungrateful, spoiled snobs.

• Love 4

Yes I agree. It's such a cat and mouse game. I would love to try and outsmart production. Which makes me imagine the ultimate reality show. The behind scenes producers who run these shows. I would love to see an unfiltered look at what they do. How they try to plan confrontations. Their one on one interview process. The casting process. That would be so interesting to me.

• Love 6

Yes I agree. It's such a cat and mouse game. I would love to try and outsmart production. Which makes me imagine the ultimate reality show. The behind scenes producers who run these shows. I would love to see an unfiltered look at what they do. How they try to plan confrontations. Their one on one interview process. The casting process. That would be so interesting to me.

Oh man, sign me up. I would so love to see that show.

• Love 3

It would make sense if she was always being told that she was lying or crazy regarding Tamra. Heather stood firmly behind Tamra saying she never lies. Vicki never spoke up to support Shannon and tell everyone that Tamra told her the same thing. Shannon didn't have the benefit of seeing Tamra's THs where she claims to not remember if she said it or not.

She could very well be shocked to hear other people saying that Tamra's a lying shit stirrer.

Yea, except she does know that Tamra is a liar, so why the look of extreme shock? She knows she lied about telling Heather about the text, and she knows she lied when she denied ever telling her that Terry said he wanted to "take them down". Other folks might not have agreed, but she knows it to be the case. She has also heard Tamra talk shit about Heather since pretty much their first meeting, so she also knows that Tamra is a disloyal friend. She might be shocked to hear other folks admitting it, but in the preview, she looks like the news that Tamra is a terrible person is a big revelation to her. 

• Love 2

I'm tired of the drama of who didn't text about being late or not attending a function. That's all production mind games. The Housewives have been in this game too long to fall for that trick over and over.

Ain't nobody falling for anything. That was a bunch of bad actresses reading a script handed to them by the producers. Again.

Yep, and Vicki's tree will be gonnorhea

And Shannon's tree will be Ebola.

And why the HELL do they scream all the time. It's driving me insane.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 9

Danielle's presence bothers me.  Mostly because it's such a stupid idea to show the audience your badass editing skills and the weirdness of production.  She was apparently on the limo with Lizzie at the end of the night when Lizzie was in tears, but was nowhere else.  Plus I think part of why Lizzie is so bland is that most of her scenes were with Danielle, who had to be exorcised.  I really want to know what happened with her, and if she opted out somehow...how did she pull that off?

Are we really having more drama because of a question/answer game on a HW show?  For reals, Bravo?

I liked the opening with Heather as stewardess or whatever.  They all came off more like real people.

The flashbacks are a nice touch, I suppose.  Again, though, not really the kind of show where one would want to show off production skills, imho.  I appreciate that they're primarily used to fuck with Tamra.  They clearly don't like her, and I'm cool with that. 

Once again I cannot wait for the scenes from the promo.  Tamra running off reminds me of that Australian comedy J'amie: Private School Girl, with the male comic playing a 16 year-old girl.  It's the same weird running and histrionics ("you'll never see me again!").  Good times ahead, I just hope it doesn't take an hour to get there.

Yikes!, did Lizzie just say to her husband that it would be nice if he got a hard on a least once a week.

She sure did!  As she was whining about how if her 35th birthday sucks she's going to leave him.  

Final thought from tonight for now: I really like Shannon.  I've been on the fence, but having watched old episodes on Hulu she reminds me of the old days, before this show was a vehicle to success and selling crappy products (or pretending to).  I hope she doesn't come out next year with a book and a vitamin line or something.  

• Love 7

Just caught the last 10 minutes on a work break....

Initial thoughts:

Vicki looked really good in her turquoise/teal sheath, hair pulled back, and earrings.  Hell, she looked so much better than usual I'll even forgive her for walking back barefoot to the room.  Probably the best I have ever seen her look in...I dunno, probably forever.  At least since the Sky top and jeans days.

Lizzie is stirring up what is probably going to turn into the biggest cauldron o'shit to ever hit this franchise what with poking the crazy that is Shannon about Tamra talking about her and making fun of her behind her back.  Oh, and Lizzie, you're apparently a nasty drunk judging by that comment you made to your husband.  Cut back, at least in front of the cameras.  Not a good look.

For once it looked like The All Knowing Heather was keeping her fucking mouth shut....that was refreshing.  I didn't even realize she was at the table right away.

TAMRA ~~~  ONE MORE WEEK UNTIL THE BAREFOOT TRAILER PARK BARBI MELTDOWN!!!!!

Thank you, baby jeebus, for suddenly making this season a lot less boring and a lot more entertaining!

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 12

I don't have much to say on the drama in this episode.  Kinda sick of everyone fighting all the time in every single stinkin franchise.  I do just wanna say that I laughed and laughed and laughed, along with Shannon, when Vikki was heaving.  I do that too and my daughter once asked me why I puke all the time.  I told her I don't actually puke....I gag.  Everytime we see someone gagging now we laugh hysterically.  I also liked when they were walking up the steps to ride the elephants and Tamra told Vikki not to fall and who fell?  Tamra!  That was funny.  Tamra also called it when she said Vikki would tip over the canoe.  Spot on!!  I also laughed when they all freaked out over the dog.  The bus driver must have that they were insane!!  Those were the best parts of the episode for me.

• Love 1

For me.. Vicki didn't disappoint in terms of her s****** behavior.  You could put Vicki in an empty room with a table, chair and phone book.. and you would still get comic Vicki in some capacity..

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 7

And why the HELL do they scream all the time. It's driving me insane.

I think if I ever experienced Vicki's screaming in person my ears would bleed. Jesus, woman. I was hoping that poor elephant would buck her off and trample her.

And multiple dry heaves in the (FAMILY!) van - I just can't. Why didn't they just let her sit in the front to begin with.

The more I think about it, the more I come up with that was irritating - Tamra shrieking about the elephant's "lipstick." How shocking that an enormous animal would have an enormous penis Tamra. Zip it.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 3

Strangely enough, I liked Heather a little bit this episode. I have so much hope for next week. NO ONE appears to be chasing after Tamra when she runs away. It's a dream come true!

For the record, I'd be perfectly okay with Tamra being on this show forever if they just keep bringing in new people to battle her at the end of the season.

I very much agree.  This year I've been struggling with Heather, but I actually liked her on tonight's epi.  Is it because she finally called Tamra out on her shit? 

Tamra's got horrible legs.  She needs to leave her face alone and do some plastic surgery on those knees.  She's got the knees of an 80 year old woman who is in shape. 

I really like that Heather AND Lizzie are calling Tamra out on her lies, and next week please hold all my phone calls and take a message because I am going to be planted in front of my TV, popcorn popped.  I might even have a beer and order wings. 

• Love 14

Although I appreciate the fact that the flashbacks seem to have been inserted by production primarily as a means to stick the shank to both Heather and Tamra, they do inspire some confusion. Like, why are we suddenly learning that Tamra told Lizzie about the e-mail, as well, when both Lizzie and Danielle were giving majorly skeptical side-eye to Shannon several episodes back during the sit-down in the Beador living room when Danielle made a remark about Shannon's alcohol consumption?

I'm enjoying the fact that someone- anyone- is finally coming for Tamra. Points to Lizzie and Shannon for premeditating their gang-up with a planning session; it wouldn't have the same degree of karmic irony otherwise when the target finally turns on Tamra. Hilarious, as well, that it seems like it's only going to take a whisper to unbalance Tamra . . . you couldn't toast a slice of bread with the heat they showed being directed at her in the preview.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure this narrative is especially endearing Lizzie to me. Everyone intimates Shannon has a drinking problem, but Lizzie seems every bit as crying jagg-y to me and more illogical. Spitting out insults about "boners" to one's husband on camera after what looked like a perfectly pleasant evening? She has a long way to go before she reaches Tamra/Vicki territory, but, wow, still way uncouth by ordinary standards.

And I have to give props to Vick if she's been biding her time for the right opportunity to twist a knife in Tamra's back after the campaign against Brooks during season  7 and the fabrications about Vicki's promiscuity at that year's reunion. That kind of patience is impressive; it seems like perhaps she was just waiting until Lauri was out of the way and she had a stronger ally than Alexis before delivering payback.

• Love 6

Now that Shannon and Heather have stopped bickering, I'm back in Shannon's corner. I'm curious to what she has to say on WWHL. I also believe Lizzie in the marry, fuck, kill game. Mainly because of the way Tamruh retold the story to Vicki.

I sympathize with the girls about the heat. I say that every year during our Texas summers and curse my husband for moving from us from CA!

The doing the touristy parts were fun to watch. It's nice to laugh with them than at them once in awhile!

Edited by Cranky One
  • Love 2

WTF at Lizzie's outburst at her husband in the limo.  Are they on the Beador path to marital bliss?  Insulting a man's sexual prowess, or lack thereof, in front of others should be a major marriage no-no.

• Love 13

WTF at Lizzie's outburst at her husband in the limo.  Are they on the Beador path to marital bliss?  Insulting a man's sexual prowess, or lack thereof, in front of others should be a major marriage no-no.

On TV no less.

• Love 8

Tamra's got horrible legs.  She needs to leave her face alone and do some plastic surgery on those knees.  She's got the knees of an 80 year old woman who is in shape. 

I saw a picture of Tamra's knees a while back.  Now when I sit with my legs crossed, especially with shorts on, I can feel the leg on top pushing the skin on my lower leg down and I wonder if that's how Tamra got her jacked up knees.  Then I quickly uncross my legs, lol!!

• Love 1

Now that Shannon and Heather have stopped bickering, I'm back in Shannon's corner. I'm curious to what she has to say on WWHL. I also believe Lizzie in the marry, fuck, kill game. Mainly because of the way Tamruh retold the story to Vicki.

I sympathize with the girls about the heat. I say that every year during our Texas summers and curse my husband for moving from us from CA!

The doing the touristy parts were fun to watch. It's nice to laugh with them than at them once in awhile!

And because Tamra is so sexually preoccupied, like a hormonal teenage girl, that I've no doubt Eddie wanting to FUCK Lizzie would be the ultimate insult to her sexuality.  I doubt if she'd have batted a false eyelash had Eddie said "marry" or "kill," but "fuck"?  Yeah, considering how jealous Tamra is, that had to be a DEFCON 1 level for her.

I hope they were filming when this happened and they trot out the footage at the reunion or in the unseen footage episode they'll surely have.  

Woot, woot!!!

(How pathetic...I've only seen the last 10 minutes or so of this episode because I'm working, and I'm more excited by this 10 minutes than I have been any other FULL episodes all season!)

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 4

Once again howives visit a foreign country and act like assholes to the locals. I was embarassed on behalf of my country. So you get off the plane in Bali and immediately bitch about the heat and how the city looks like Tiajuana. The resort looked beautiful, yet they managed to find things to complain about. 

• Love 9

THIS IS WHY THE PLANET HATES AMERICANS. Seriously.  Having lived abroad for many years and in several countries I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to literally crawl under the table at the ignorant behavior of my fellow Americans.  I mean ..... I remember once being so BEYOND embarrassed that when one of the locals mistook my Midwestern accent as being Canadian I didn't correct her.

Once again howives visit a foreign country and act like assholes to the locals. I was embarassed on behalf of my country. So you get off the plane in Bali and immediately bitch about the heat and how the city looks like Tiajuana. The resort looked beautiful, yet they managed to find things to complain about. 

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 12

I believe Lizzie on the marry-shag-kill game.
I'm more surprised Heather would think this was a good game for a group of friends.
Yes with celebs that you might never meet, funny haha. But your close friends?
I say this as a person who is not a jealous person and adores and trust  my girlfriends.

Eta: and hubby:)

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 7

Shannon's tits looked a mess in that dress she was wearing at the end of this ep.

This ep had too much Vicki. I was laughing at her early on but then somewhere, probably beginning with the ride to the elephants, her antics got to be too much.

WWHL Andy mentions the last ep of the season TerryDuBrow and David Beador get into it. That should be interesting. Two episodes left.

• Love 5