Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Trucking Live In Front of a Fully Vaccinated Studio Audience

DanaK
  • Start Topic

9:00-9:31 p.m. - THE CONNERS: "Trucking Live In Front of a Fully Vaccinated Studio Audience" (404) (Season Premiere)

Lights, Camera, Action: "The Conners" is going live for both the East and West Coast broadcasts of the season four premiere episode. This iconic TV family continues to deal with the current pandemic while navigating breakups and newfound sobriety, all while planning an upcoming wedding.

Air date: September 22, 2021

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

looks like ames mcnamara had quite the growth spurt during the hiatus. 

I was just coming in to say….!

I like the way Jackie and Louise are playing off each other

John Goodman looks healthier

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 23
20 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

I was saying “someone hit puberty!” 

Brian Austin Green’s is having a busy week now that he’s on Dancing With The Stars.

RIP Norm ❤️

• Love 7

Okay, Darlene running through the stage to get from the store set to Ben's back room set was kinda funny. Interesting to see how all the "rooms" are actually laid out.

Don't do it, Ben. I still don't know what he sees in her; he could do so much better.

I do not see how the questions Mark asked helped his project...

So the plastics factory has no security and non-employees can just wander onto the floor looking for people? That seems unlikely. (I have the same problem with TV parents wandering through their kids' schools without even going to the office first). I work in a warehouse and you cannot enter the building without a badge, and there are several doors within the building that require them as well. I need to scan mine twice to get from outside to the office area where I work. If you don't have a badge you buzz at the entrance and security lets you in, and then whoever you're visiting has to come get you. And you certainly can't be wandering around conveyors unaccompanied (not that the conveyors on their set are anything like the miles of machinery that's at my workplace). But Ben can just walk around the building asking random people where Darlene's office is. Sure.

"I have a big family and lots of friends. The only difference is I don't live with them all." 😆

At the risk of being repetitive...Don't do it, Louise.

4 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

His voice is lower, too.

The dedication to Norm MacDonald was nice.

• Love 13

Who were the distant Connors? Were they played by audience members or something?

Sara broke character when Jackie kept pushing Darlene off the chair. LOL

I agree John Goodman look healthier. I was worried about him last season.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Who were the distant Connors? Were they played by audience members or something?

Sara broke character when Jackie kept pushing Darlene off the chair. LOL

Hee, I noticed that about her laughing, too :D. I liked the psychic, it'd be fun to see her again. As for the spirituality advice, I mean, I can see where Darlene thinks that means she should be more religious, but it doesn't have to mean that specifically. 

I was wondering who was playing the distant Connors, too. And echoing those who noticed Mark's growth spurt. 

I tend to be more with Dan in preferring smaller weddings, but Louise's reasoning for wanting one is understandable. She and Dan can figure out a compromise in that regard, I'm sure :). 

"I got some bad news. It's about my mom. She's still alive." 

Good start to the season. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 15

Loved this episode!!

It was great! Loved how Jackie & Louise played off each other to help Darlene. I missed both Dan & Louise as a couple and Louise herself so glad to have both of them back. 

I understand why Louise wants a big wedding and I'm so glad Dan understood after she explained why she wanted one so hopefully it'll happen for her. I can't wait until they get married. I love them together so much.

Ben/Darlene still in trouble, not surprised, they need to just let it go. 

I'm glad Darlene took Louise's advice. I think she's going to be a great stepmother to them. 

Welcome back Conners! Can't wait for more episodes!! Great start to the new season! 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ESS said:

I understand why Louise wants a big wedding and I'm so glad Dan understood after she explained why she wanted one so hopefully it'll happen for her. I can't wait until they get married. I love them together so much.

You can tell Louise is destined to be a Conner given the fact she wants to spend a lot of money on a one time event, even though the guy she is marrying has financial problems and was about to lose his house last season.  And I say that as someone who really does like Louise, and thinks she is a great addition to the show.   

I did like them showing Sara Gilbert running backstage between sets so she could get to her next scene.  I am getting tired of the Ben/Darlene storyline.  It feels like they really have no idea what to do with the couple, but for whatever won't just let this go and move on to something else.     

• Like 1
  • Love 22

I'm not terribly impressed by live episodes. Don't get me wrong... I love theater but I appreciate 2nd takes and tight editing in my TV shows more.

That said,  I may have gotten a bit teary eyed by the shots of the masked and vaxxed studio audience and the tribute to Norm Macdonald.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I am getting tired of the Ben/Darlene storyline.  It feels like they really have no idea what to do with the couple, but for whatever won't just let this go and move on to something else.     

Since Ben said he would never move in with her, obviously, they must be destined to be true luv 4 ever!

• LOL 9

"There's an empowering message - I don't care what my kids want, I'm getting my man back!"

"It's always hard when your menopausal kid moves out for the third or fourth time."

"... generational poverty ... We're rooting for you, but we'll hold a spot for you."

Great lines just in the opening.

Nice breaking of the fourth wall with Sara Gilbert running from one set to another.

But, good gods, show, let this Darlene/Ben relationship die its natural death already.

And a "spiritual advisor" who's "not just a psychic" is pretty much the last thing Darlene - or anyone - needs.  She's not the type to fall for this crap, no matter how upset she is that her boyfriend dumped her.  And then her trotting down the God path, despite her entire history.  Hopefully the fact Jason Alexander is playing the pastor means this will be a phase she hilariously abandons.

Good for Louise saying she'll pay for the wedding she wants (and Dan not getting his machismo on at that), and explaining why she wants it and acknowledging she's as surprised as Dan is she feels that way.  I just hope they're both researching pre-nup lawyers in the midst of the fluffy stuff. 

Norm MacDonald declared Roseanne Barr shouldn't have been fired and bemoaned what she had "gone through" as a result of her repugnant actions, so I understand why he was honored, given his connection to the show, and appreciate their feelings towards him, but mine aren't as straightforward.  (Lovely of them to end on, though; I'm not saying it shouldn't have happened, just that I don't have only warm fuzzies about him.)

I wonder why Lecy wasn't in this episode.  I mean, I know the in-show explanation of Becky's absence, but they didn't have to write it that way, and it was weird to leave her out of the live premiere.

• Love 9

I thought this was absolutely horrible. 

I hate live episodes tho.

Why would Ben want to be with Darlene. He could do so much better. She’s a lying cheating Debbie downer blah.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I agree John Goodman look healthier. I was worried about him last season

I think the haircut helped. I hope the character is less angry. I love Dan but last season he became the scary angry old man yelling at the clouds.

Not a fan of live episodes but it was fun watching them cut to an empty staircase, the live framing adjustments, and Ames quickly repeating his line when he realized the audience had laughed and clapped over it.

I'm not a shrink and psychics aside, I wonder if Darlene chasing after Ben is more about her being unable to accept her own behavioural flaws, that someone has stood up to her and called her out on her bullshit along with the fear of failure again than it is about her loving him. And I suggest this as someone who can't stand like can't stand Ben.

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I've got some bad news. It's about my mom. She's still alive." 

Her delivery of this line was on point and echoed the original series. Loved it.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Love 10

Mark's project was about the Conner family tree, so that alone would be enough reason for him to use just the relevant portion of his name when speaking to the distant relatives - he's part of the Conner clan that settled in Lanford, what's up with your Conner clan in X city -  but Harris and Mark have also been repeatedly neglected by David, so even if one or both dropped Healy from their name in all interactions, it would still make sense, although such a development would benefit from at least a mention.  So I think it's just the first scenario - he was talking to unknown Conners, so he only referred to himself as another Conner, the Healy line being irrelevant to the conversation - but it works for me regardless.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12

Are they gaslighting us with the whole Darlene/Ben thing? I was positive that they definitely broke up last season, so I almost did a spit-take when Dan asked Darlene how she felt about the fact that Ben was "thinking" of breaking up with her. I was glad that he broke up with her AGAIN, but I'm not convinced the storyline is over.

Serious question: is anyone actually rooting for Darlene and Ben to get back together? (No judgment if you are) I don't look at any other tv-related social media, so this forum may be an outlier, but I'm baffled that they're dragging this out for so long. I mean, Jackie married Fred and had a kid with him (and Dan worked with him), and the show had no problem removing him completely. Why is it so hard to do the same with Ben? I honestly can't tell if the actor is just super popular with fans, or if the showrunners are just so enamored with this pairing and are convinced that it's an epic love story.

Didn't DJs wife come home at the end of last season? I hope they didn't change that! 

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Goodman does look good.  He was looking a bit rough last year. I liked Laurie's look too, and she seemed less frantic. Her Jackie has always been a favorite of mine. Katey is a great addition to the show so I'm happy to see her.

• Love 13

My favorite part was Jackie and Louise yelling after Darlene, "You'd better run, Darlene, it's further than you think it is!  Keep going, it's right across from the Wellman Plastics set!"  Very clever way to bridge that transition.  Not so enamored of the other "Conners."  Bless Ames, he tried to keep things moving, but those parts fell a little flat.

• LOL 4
  • Love 13

I went from being pissed off that Darlene's inability to connect or form healthy relationships was put down to her atheism (this is from an atheist in a blissfully happy marriage to another atheist, who cares about the people in my life more than anything. Sick of that stereotype) to being teary-eyed when they were showing the excited and masked audience, one waving a mini version of The Afghan. I figured they were calling audience members or uber fans or something, so I didn't care how well they did. I was just happy for them, and thought it was a cute way to celebrate the audience being there, being live, etc. The cheering as Sara Gilbert ran to the next set and every time they went meta worked for me. I just found it fun. Still shirty about the lazy atheist plot but glad they're back! 

• Love 16
12 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

You can tell Louise is destined to be a Conner given the fact she wants to spend a lot of money on a one time event, even though the guy she is marrying has financial problems and was about to lose his house last season.  And I say that as someone who really does like Louise, and thinks she is a great addition to the show.       

I love Louise as well and yes I agree she wants to be a Conner, but she also loves Dan so much I think, she's had romantic feelings for him for over 40 years now, she's devoted to him and I think she'll definitely make him happy. I also believe she loves the family a lot as well even though they are crazy sometimes, but she loves them nonetheless and her & Jackie are gonna be something and I love they are getting along now. Louise offered to pay for that expensive cake she wants for their wedding (and probably other things too) so I thought that was very sweet of her to do. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Line of the night, I was ki-king.

(Head held high defiantly)....I like Ben and hope he and Darlene work things out.

I like Ben too but I think he can do a lot better than Darlene.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 14

I think I gave up on Ben and Darlene when I saw what great chemistry he had with Becky.  

As annoying as she can be, even Darlene deserves a guy who is into her.  Yes, relationships go thru rocky times but you shouldn't have to change your personality and beliefs to make one work. I hate this storyline.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, ESS said:

I love Louise as well and yes I agree she wants to be a Conner, but she also loves Dan so much I think, she's had romantic feelings for him for over 40 years now, she's devoted to him and I think she'll definitely make him happy. I also believe she loves the family a lot as well even though they are crazy sometimes, but she loves them nonetheless and her & Jackie are gonna be something and I love they are getting along now. Louise offered to pay for that expensive cake she wants for their wedding (and probably other things too) so I thought that was very sweet of her to do. 

That's why I thought it was weird that they gave Louise a line something like she was a mess until she met Dan, unless I misheard it.  She met Dan when she was young!  The line should have been about being a mess until she started to date Dan.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Mark's project was about the Conner family tree, so that alone would be enough reason for him to use just the relevant portion of his name when speaking to the distant relatives - he's part of the Conner clan that settled in Lanford, what's up with your Conner clan in X city -  but Harris and Mark have also been repeatedly neglected by David, so even if one or both dropped Healy from their name in all interactions, it would still make sense, although such a development would benefit from at least a mention.  So I think it's just the first scenario - he was talking to unknown Conners, so he only referred to himself as another Conner, the Healy line being irrelevant to the conversation - but it works for me regardless.

Agreed.

I'm more surprised that Jackie hasn't started using Conner as a last name.  It seems to be highly contagious.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That's why I thought it was weird that they gave Louis a line something like she was a mess until she met Dan, unless I misheard it.  She met Dan when she was young!  The line should have been about being a mess until she started to date Dan.

OMG I didn't even catch that and I guess the writers didn't either! That is weird.. huh  unless she meant it in some other way like when she came back to Lanford that might have been what she meant by that statement because she was gone from there for 30 years.  

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Darian said:

Still shirty about the lazy atheist plot but glad they're back! 

The lazy atheist plot pissed me off, too.

I cracked up at Darlene running between sets. 

Did the extended Conner family members know in advance what questions they'd be asked?

• Love 6

TV writers don't like to let atheists remain atheists.  But, newsflash, we're still atheists when bad shit happens (yes, there are atheists in foxholes) -- when our husbands abandon us with two kids, when we lose our careers and have to move back home, when our moms die, and certainly when our bearded sloth boyfriends break up with us.

This franchise has always been so refreshingly non-religious (until that weird-ass prayer at the dinner table in season ten of Roseanne), with the Conners being Good People (but non-practicing), so hopefully this will be a comedic mini-arc and Darlene will get back to her normal self.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Serious question: is anyone actually rooting for Darlene and Ben to get back together? 

Short answer? No. 

I DO like Jay R. Ferguson, and I like the energy he brings to the show as Ben, but if he stays, I only want it to be as Dan's partner in running the hardware store, with the occasional one liners traded off with Darlene. Nothing that would EVER indicate that they would get back together.

Anyway:

I'm amazed I still watch this show sometimes, I really am. I can't bring myself to quit it, I'm in too deep with this family and have been for a long time now; I love and care about so many of the characters and actors, and every week at least brings a line or a scene that I appreciate, this one included. But there is SO. MUCH. that bugs me so often, that they try my patience a LOT of the time, too.

That, sadly, included the fact that they went live last night. They did such a great job during their first live episode early last year. (January or February 2020--Pre-pandemic! Crazy, right?) It mostly went off well last night, but something about Sara Gilbert running to the next scene left me wondering if that was done on purpose, which is a sign of how much this show exhausts me sometimes now. Blah.

And seeing Darlene questioning her atheism...no, just no. And I'm a Christian who has NO problem with what you believe or don't believe, for the record, and I will be the first one to say it's straight up RIDICULOUS, not to mention insulting, to imply that every atheist has to wind up turning to religion in the end. I had my moments in life where I questioned my belief in God (and ultimately decided that some sort of spiritual presence is out there somewhere), but not everyone else has to, and I certainly don't think Darlene would, at least not over this.

Not gonna lie...Jackie got me for a second before she said Bev was still alive. Hee! 

I did love seeing the audience at the end, though (and the afghan!), and the tribute to Norm got me, too--not only did he write on the original show, but Laurie was also one of his main co-stars on his sitcom, The Norm Show, which aired on ABC from 1999-2001.

Lastly: Come back, Becky! You're the main reason I even WATCH this show now! I'm STILL pissed Lecy wasn't nominated for her work last year; she certainly deserved it. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Right? Noticed that as soon as it came out of his mouth. “Mark Conner?”

Lazy and dumb. Just like the show overall.

I felt embarrassed watching them. 

This episode completed the narrative turn, taking the Conners from working class victims to their misfortune literally being written in their DNA. We should laugh at them because they are losers, not because the system keeps people like them down. It is, frankly, gross.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Line of the night, I was ki-king.

(Head held high defiantly)....I like Ben and hope he and Darlene work things out.

I hold my head high with you - I love Jay Ferguson from his Mad Men days - but I don’t necessarily believe Darlene and Ben should stay together - I just want Ben to stay

• Love 11